View Full Version : CAA Pickem' Week 6

Spiderbone
October 4th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Nova at UNH-UNH kills it 38-3
ODU at URI-ODU continues to impress against a team that lost to Brown 28-7
Maine at JMU-Maine is tough but JMU is tougher at their new stadium 21-17
W&M at Delaware-UD always good at home, stifles WM only weapon...Grimes 24-9
CCSU at UMass-UMass makes it a game with their crappy Pass D but wins 31-21
UR at Towson-UR almost lost this one last year at home, loses it this year 21-14xbawlingx

jmufan999
October 4th, 2011, 11:09 AM
UR at Towson-UR almost lost this one last year at home, loses it this year 21-14xbawlingx

I like all of these except I'll take the Spiders to bounce back and win. I'll take JMU to win by 10 in an ugly win, I think that's what I predicted in the other thread.

tribefan40
October 4th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Nova at UNH 31-42
ODU at URI 28-14
Maine at JMU 24-27
W&M at Delaware 21-17
CCSU at UMass 17-24
UR at Towson 14-28

bluehenbillk
October 4th, 2011, 11:48 AM
In honor of an old tradition started back in the old CAA Zone days with the Hofstra gang (yea, they used to play FB there), this weeks picks are presented not in HD, but in Haiku: enjoy

"Decker will trounce Cats
Has Nova seen their last win?
Game could get ugly"
UNH 38 Villanova 17

"New Kids riding high
Rams a big disappointment
Closer than might think"
ODU 34 URI 20

"Mickey throws his hat
Slugfest in Burg goes OT?
Dukes come out on top"
JMU 23 Maine 20 (ot)

"Quarterback drama
Grimes & Pierce run 50 times
Hens win a snoozer"
UD 21 W&M 14

"Game reads just ugly
Blue Devils not very good
Hernandez leads romp"
UMass 31 CCSU 16

"Tiger defense tough
Not showing Corp tons of love
Andy rushes field"
Towson 17 UR 10

VBR_Productions
October 4th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Villanova at New Hampshire
Old Dominion at Rhode Island
Maine at James Madison
William and Mary at Delaware
CCSU at UMass
UR at Towson assuming that Grant Enders returns to the game; if Enders is slowed by migraines again, Richmond will win.

Wildcat80
October 4th, 2011, 04:19 PM

I'm having what he's having......Go UNH!!!!

LeadBolt
October 4th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Maine at James Madison
William and Mary at Delaware Hope I'm wrong here...
CCSU at UMass
UR at Towson

Home teams hold serve this week!

TwoFeathers
October 4th, 2011, 07:55 PM
"Quarterback drama
Grimes & Pierce run 50 times
Hens win a snoozer"
UD 21 W&M 14

Only 50? I think Grimes rushed like 35 times last week alone... ;)

HailSzczur
October 5th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Maine at James Madison
CCSU at UMass
UR at Towson

alvinkayak6
October 5th, 2011, 12:17 PM
HailSzczur, where the heck is Matt Szczur right now. Did he finally get called up to full time roster with the Chicago Cubs?

alvinkayak6
October 5th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Me pick:

Black Widows 21, Towson 17
Angry Birds 24, William & Mary 20
Quickies 35, Central Connecticut State 28
Beehive Breakers 31, James Madison 21
Butterflies 35, Rhode Island 20
Cheese Neighbors 31, Villanova 28

HailSzczur
October 5th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Matt finished the year with the High A Daytona Cubs. He still is being tabbed as "the center fielder of the future". They are projecting him to start next year with the AA Tennessee Smokies, and think he could even make it to Wrigley by the end of the season. This is on par with the normal progression of high prospects, aside from those like Strasburg. He was selected for the USA side for the MLB futures game, and was even interviewed during the game answering the same generic questions "How did it feel to save a little girl's life?" "What made you pick baseball over football"
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-07-10/sports/ct-spt-0711-rogers-on-baseball--20110711_1_matt-szczur-cubs-prospect-cubs-catcher-geovany-soto

When Matt joined Daytona in August from the Peoria Chiefs, he helped spark the Cubs to Florida State League Championship, and was named series MVP.
http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2011/09/top-prospects-for-fsl-champion-daytona-cubs/

Here are his stats to date:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=szczur001mat

We could sure use him out there against UNH this weekend, then maybe we'd stand a shot. His family has still been around at a lot of the games, but Matt has yet to be seen back on campus during his off season. Maybe we'll seeing him homecoming vs ODU? Shame we cant find him another year of eligibility somewhere.

bluehenbillk
October 5th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Congrats & best wishes to Szczur, has a bright career ahead of him.

Chris Whitney on the other hand, unepmployed & chasing skirts at the Jersey shore.

mcveyrl
October 5th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Maine at James Madison
CCSU at UMass
UR at Towson

Talk about Northeast bias.... :D

HailSzczur
October 5th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Talk about Northeast bias.... :D

Didn't even notice that until you pointed it out, it is interesting though that I took the more northern school in each matchup.

alvinkayak6
October 5th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I don't know much about the baseball professional tree. Does he have a good agent? I would like to see him succeed in Major League Baseball. I believe he was probably the best thing to ever happen to Villanova Football, and they may never win another FCS title without someone of his ability.

HailSzczur
October 5th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I don't know much about the baseball professional tree. Does he have a good agent? I would like to see him succeed in Major League Baseball. I believe he was probably the best thing to ever happen to Villanova Football, and they may never win another FCS title without someone of his ability.

His agent is Rex Gary, seems to be decent at getting players money I guess. Matt's already made a good chunk of change (100k signing bonus +1.5mil for not declaring for the NFL draft) without even seeing a pitch. Hopefully he makes a name for himself enough to back up all that money.
http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow/sports-mlbagentripoffteams/2/

Mattymc727
October 5th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Old Dominionat Rhode Island
Maine at James Madison
CCSU at UMass
UR at Towson

wmtribe1693
October 5th, 2011, 05:52 PM
UNH
URI
Maine
UD
UMass
Towson

UNHFan
October 5th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I'm having what he's having......Go UNH!!!!

Best quote on here!!!! We can't stop any quarter backs! Sorry Nova your gonna lose but we will make your QB a Payton Candidate watch list!!xlolx

Tribal
October 5th, 2011, 11:12 PM
UNH
ODU
Maine
UD
UMass
Towson

eiu1999
October 6th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Nova at UNH
ODU at URI
Maine at JMU
W&M at Delaware
CCSU at UMass
UR at Towson

JmuSkinsfan
October 6th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Just out of curiousity, for everyone picking Maine over JMU ... any specific reason why? I don't think anyone, let alone Maine, can put up 31 points on JMU this season. I don't think people will end up putting up more than 17 points in game against us ... our defense is that good. Unless you think Maine can hold us to 14 or whatever, I'm curious to hear some of your arguments. Not bashing Maine, I think they're top 3 in CAA this year, but JMU is at home and Maine has to travel down here ...

Wildcat80
October 6th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Just out of curiousity, for everyone picking Maine over JMU ... any specific reason why? I don't think anyone, let alone Maine, can put up 31 points on JMU this season. I don't think people will end up putting up more than 17 points in game against us ... our defense is that good. Unless you think Maine can hold us to 14 or whatever, I'm curious to hear some of your arguments. Not bashing Maine, I think they're top 3 in CAA this year, but JMU is at home and Maine has to travel down here ...

Maine players will play better when they are warm! Go Bears!

alvinkayak6
October 6th, 2011, 11:33 AM
UNH QB needs a nickname. How about Triple Decker?

TwoFeathers
October 6th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Careful... don't jinx yourself. So 17 points is the line-in-the-sand?

bluehenbillk
October 6th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Don't sound too cocky there. Maine is dangerous simply because they can both run & pass the ball well. I don't think JMU has run into an FCS team yet that could do both. Jace Edwards has played what, 1 game? I'd watch the kid play more before you get too full of yourself.

Monarch History
October 6th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Maine at James Madison
CCSU at UMass
UR at Towson

JmuSkinsfan
October 6th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Don't sound too cocky there. Maine is dangerous simply because they can both run & pass the ball well. I don't think JMU has run into an FCS team yet that could do both. Jace Edwards has played what, 1 game? I'd watch the kid play more before you get too full of yourself.

Liberty? Richmond? I'm not trying to sound Cocky ... but JMU absolutely demolished URs passing game ... holding them to 7 points (which were off a short field from the 3 yard line after a blocked punt) on 120 yards total offense.

I just don't see where some of these projections of 31 points for Maine are even coming from. I respect Maine and expect a good game but I doubt they put up 31 ... or even 21 ... Which is why I'm saying JMU 27 Maine 10

molly
October 6th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I don't think people will end up putting up more than 17 points in game against us ... our defense is that good.

This makes me feel better about W&M's offense since they were a botched FG snap away from putting up 17 on JMU in one half.

jmufan999
October 6th, 2011, 03:07 PM
This makes me feel better about W&M's offense since they were a botched FG snap away from putting up 17 on JMU in one half.

This was without Nick Emmons, our 6th year DT and team defensive leader. He had a HUGE impact against UR, he was in their backfield all day. You guys didn't have to face him at all. He commands a double team and leaves Sr. DE D.J. Bryant all alone.

And was JMUSkinsfan really being cocky? He was asking for an explanation as to why people choosing Maine are doing so. Is that such a big deal?

mcveyrl
October 6th, 2011, 04:05 PM
This was without Nick Emmons, our 6th year DT and team defensive leader. He had a HUGE impact against UR, he was in their backfield all day. You guys didn't have to face him at all. He commands a double team and leaves Sr. DE D.J. Bryant all alone.

And was JMUSkinsfan really being cocky? He was asking for an explanation as to why people choosing Maine are doing so. Is that such a big deal?

I'll have to admit it smacks of "who could POSSIBLY pick against us...I demand an explanation!" Just because the defense was lights out against Richmond doesn't mean that the Liberty defense won't rear its ugly head or (God forbid) the entire team from the CCSU game shows up. To ask for an explanation as to why people are picking against your team is cocky, particularly in a pick 'em thread where people might just "feel" the upset.

LeadBolt
October 6th, 2011, 04:16 PM

I can't help you, like the majority of folks in this thread I picked JMU, but given Maine's big win over Delaware last weekend, it wasn't as easy as it might have been. If the game was in Orono, I would have picked Maine.

JmuSkinsfan
October 6th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I'll have to admit it smacks of "who could POSSIBLY pick against us...I demand an explanation!" Just because the defense was lights out against Richmond doesn't mean that the Liberty defense won't rear its ugly head or (God forbid) the entire team from the CCSU game shows up. To ask for an explanation as to why people are picking against your team is cocky, particularly in a pick 'em thread where people might just "feel" the upset.

I don't think it's cocky to ask why people are predicting a team that is far from dominant on offense to put up 31 points on a team that just gave up 120 total yards and had 7 sacks against the #10 team in the country and one of the best QB/WR combos in FCS.

Also, prior to WM, players said they were finally "clicking" after switching to the 4-3 in the off-season ... they played pretty well against WM and were absolutely dominant against UR in the first game with Emmons back. Maybe it was a fluke, but this defense has been improving game by game. Wouldn't surprise me if Maine puts up less than 10. If that happens, we'll know this defense is for real.

BTW, what is the YPC average against JMU this year? I think it's something like 1.9 YPC ... I don't care who you are ... you aint running on us.

wmtribe1693
October 6th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Maineīs RB is top-notch. You canīt look at one game and assume the same will happen in the next. The same way Maine shouldnīt expect another UD game performance against JMU. I donīt think itīs arrogant to request an explanation as to why someone picked Maine to win. The idea, I think, of a message board is to encourage discussion. It would be arrogant to behave as if Maine had no shot.

JmuSkinsfan
October 6th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Maineīs RB is top-notch. You canīt look at one game and assume the same will happen in the next. The same way Maine shouldnīt expect another UD game performance against JMU. I donīt think itīs arrogant to request an explanation as to why someone picked Maine to win. The idea, I think, of a message board is to encourage discussion. It would be arrogant to behave as if Maine had no shot.

I wasn't asking for the explanation of why Maine would win ... just why they could put up 31 points ... is it too much to ask? I guess it's a message board and you can spout out whatever you want, just trying to discuss. Anyway, isn't Jonathan Grimes top-notch? I don't recall him doing much of anything against JMU ... and that was before we got Emmons back.

If Maine puts up more than 17, as I said, I'll be shocked and I'll come back to eat crow on that.

molly
October 6th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Considering that only one person suggested that Maine will score 31, perhaps you should just ask that one person rather than making it seem like there's a chorus of crazy people suggesting that Maine will score at will on JMU? BTW, your original statement did ask for a reason why people were picking Maine to win:

"Just out of curiousity, for everyone picking Maine over JMU ... any specific reason why?"

Also, I'm glad W&M didn't play JMU when they had Emmons or they probably would've been shut out!

ETA: I think JMU will beat Maine, and JMU's defense will keep Maine's offense to fewer than 17 points.

LeadBolt
October 6th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I wasn't asking for the explanation of why Maine would win ... just why they could put up 31 points ... is it too much to ask? I guess it's a message board and you can spout out whatever you want, just trying to discuss. Anyway, isn't Jonathan Grimes top-notch? I don't recall him doing much of anything against JMU ... and that was before we got Emmons back.

If Maine puts up more than 17, as I said, I'll be shocked and I'll come back to eat crow on that.

So when you said "everybody" in your original question, you meant alvinkayak6.

JmuSkinsfan
October 6th, 2011, 07:33 PM
So when you said "everybody" in your original question, you meant alvinkayak6.

Yes. Sorry, in terms of the 31 points, yes, but I did lump "everyone" together who picked Maine.

Ivytalk
October 6th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Old Dominionat Rhode Island
Maine at James Madison
William and Mary at Delaware[/B
CCSU at [B]UMass
UR at Towson

this!xthumbsupx

wmtribe1693
October 6th, 2011, 08:13 PM

Did you even bother to read my post? I said it wasn't arrogant and I said this is a message board and topics should be discussed. Jonathan Grimes, since you brought him up, has probably accounted for over 1,000 yards against JMU in his career. He's a better RB than JMU has EVER had. Why is it when JMU gets on a roll, their fan base starts to beat their chests? Congrats on the win--you guys are due a good year after missing the playoffs the past two years.

wmtribe1693
October 6th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Yes. Sorry, in terms of the 31 points, yes, but I did lump "everyone" together who picked Maine.

Maine has no chance. Why they'd even bother to fly to H'burg is beyond me. Heck, they should just award JMU the NC now and save everyone the trouble.

JmuSkinsfan
October 6th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Maine has no chance. Why they'd even bother to fly to H'burg is beyond me. Heck, they should just award JMU the NC now and save everyone the trouble.

Dude, I was giving Grimes a COMPLIMENT. Saying he is a MUCH BETTER back than Maine's RB ... and JMU was able to shut him down ... THAT WAS ALL I WAS SAYING. I don't know who pissed in your wheaties today ... but if you read my posts on the zone and in the JMU/Maine game thread on here, you'll see that I said it has the potential to be a very close game. I should have singled out the guy who said 31 points for Maine ... I was just asking because that seems high for a JMU defense that just completely shut down UR. THat was my point, I'm not sure why you're taking this and running it into the ground over arrogance. It's a message board and you can say whatever you want, I was just looking for explanations, that is all.

Tribal
October 6th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I wish the CAA was working out the way most people expected. It's not. W&M and UD are having some problems while Towson, Maine, and ODU are showing real promise. There's no way JMU players will take Maine lightly and my guess is the vast majority of JMU fans feel the same way. It's going to be tough for Maine to go to JMU and win. Could it happen? Sure, but I'm expecting a let down after beating UD. I know nothing about Maine's team this year but JMU has improved in every game. If this was the week after the CCSU game, I might feel differently. I know this...my Skins won't lose!

tribefan40
October 6th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Dude, I was giving Grimes a COMPLIMENT. Saying he is a MUCH BETTER back than Maine's RB ... and JMU was able to shut him down ... THAT WAS ALL I WAS SAYING. I don't know who pissed in your wheaties today ... but if you read my posts on the zone and in the JMU/Maine game thread on here, you'll see that I said it has the potential to be a very close game. I should have singled out the guy who said 31 points for Maine ... I was just asking because that seems high for a JMU defense that just completely shut down UR. THat was my point, I'm not sure why you're taking this and running it into the ground over arrogance. It's a message board and you can say whatever you want, I was just looking for explanations, that is all.

Backhanded. I don't know if I would say you shut Grimes down, but slowed him for sure - 70 yards, 3 ypc - 50 or so of which came in the first half, while our 3rd string qb lit it up for 200+ and 2 tds in the 2nd half.

I think JMU's defense is very good, and picked JMU to beat Maine, but I'll take the bet on you guys holding everyone under 17 this year.

jmufan999
October 6th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Backhanded. I don't know if I would say you shut Grimes down, but slowed him for sure - 70 yards, 3 ypc - 50 or so of which came in the first half, while our 3rd string qb lit it up for 200+ and 2 tds in the 2nd half.

Right, but again, we were without one of our best defensive players in DT Nick Emmons. He comes back against UR and suddenly we get 7 sacks. Not a coincidence. He's a difference maker, just hasn't been healthy since the VT game last year.

Tribal
October 6th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Grimes has been beaten up pretty badly this season. He's shouldered a lot of the weight because of poor QB play AND he's the Tribe KR. He's an excellent player and a better man (so I hear) so I hope he doesn't have to spend his final year on the downside.

Every team deals with injuries. Some of W&M's best players spent 3 games in street clothes. Championship caliber teams find a way to win without them.

UNH Fanboi
October 6th, 2011, 09:29 PM
So missing one DT is why JMU only beat a 2-3 NEC team by 5 points and a 2-3 Big South team by 3 points?

jmufan999
October 6th, 2011, 09:34 PM
So missing one DT is why JMU only beat a 2-3 NEC team by 5 points and a 2-3 Big South team by 3 points?

No, being without BOTH starting DT's is a huge problem. Sean O'Neill, our other starting DT, was lost for the year during August practice. Losing both starters in the middle is a big deal, especially when Emmons is a 6th year senior and a defensive leader. And I couldn't care less what the margin of victory is or who the opponent is. A win is a win.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 6th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Nova at UNH - Nova's youth and inexperience can't compete with the veteran UNH squad.
ODU at URI - Kingston can be a tough place to play, and URI is always capable of a surprising upset, but after losing to Brown, I don't have a lot of faith in the Rams.
Maine at JMU - Maine is the real deal this year. Good running and passing game, plenty of experience, and coming into this game on a roll after a rare win against UD.
W&M at Delaware - The Hens learn from their mistakes against Maine, and come into this game ready to play four quarters of hard nosed football.
CCSU at UMass - What has ODU done? Well, they beat UMass, something that CCSU won't be able to accomplish.
UR at Towson - Richmond came out against Duke on fire, but as we get deeper into the season things have been starting to unravel. Maybe the change in practice style with the new HC has something to do with it, maybe it's something else, but this game looks to be Towson's to lose.

paward
October 6th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Can we get back on task here. We can start a new thread on dirty CAA laundry.

Nova at UNH ........One team headed North other South
ODU at URI..........Impressive win looming
Maine at JMU.........Could not go against them with what they did to us last week
W&M at Delaware........Toss up pick for me
CCSU at UMass..........This game will be closer than most think
UR at Towson..........Impressed with Towson but got finger crossed on this one

Spiderbone
October 6th, 2011, 11:44 PM

he was in our backfield because in the Mike London years no recruiting was done on the O and D lines....started 2 freshman, one redshirt freshman, sophomore and senior on O-line last week, Our Offensive Tackles got Killed.

JMUNJ08
October 6th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Did you even bother to read my post? I said it wasn't arrogant and I said this is a message board and topics should be discussed. Jonathan Grimes, since you brought him up, has probably accounted for over 1,000 yards against JMU in his career. He's a better RB than JMU has EVER had. Why is it when JMU gets on a roll, their fan base starts to beat their chests? Congrats on the win--you guys are due a good year after missing the playoffs the past two years.

I don't see any chest beating going on. Our O is methodical right now. If we somehow fall behind, we are not built for comebacks. I like the D and the OL looks better than year's past. Honestly, this game SHOULD be low scoring. Good D's can give up points but sometimes that depends on how your offense is doing scoring points themselves to keep that motivation high and hungry..

Also, to a few of the things you mentioned:

How about Curtis Keaton? 2700 Rushing yards in 2 years? 4th Round pick in the NFL draft? Before my time but can match/beat Grimes in those areas.

Also, Grimes against JMU
2011 - 166 yds (APY)
2010 - 105 yds (Rush & Rec only)
2009 - 170 yds (Rush & Rec only)
2008 - 77 yds (Rush & Rec only)

I know he has more Return yards but unable to find the info. So, what I have is 518 yards. He would need 160 return yards avg. to get to your 1K against the Dukes...Really thought it was more myself with some of the big games he has had throughout his 9 years at W&M

Dignan
October 7th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Nova at UNH
ODU at URI
Maine at JMU
W&M at Delaware
CCSU at UMass
UR at Towson

As for JMU, they looked great in their last game and improved in every game previous to that, but it's still just been one game in which I felt I could say "wow, they looked great." While I'm optimistic, I wouldn't go overboard yet.

andy7171
October 7th, 2011, 07:49 AM
he was in our backfield because in the Mike London years no recruiting was done on the O and D lines....started 2 freshman, one redshirt freshman, sophomore and senior on O-line last week, Our Offensive Tackles got Killed.

Well my outlook on the game just got brighter. Our DEs have been killing it this season.

HensRock
October 7th, 2011, 11:51 AM

THIS!

After all this chest thumping, I hope Maine pins 40 on JMU!

Nova at UNH
ODU at URI
Maine at JMU
W&M at Delaware
CCSU at UMass
UR at Towson

JmuSkinsfan
October 7th, 2011, 12:22 PM
THIS!

After all this chest thumping, I hope Maine pins 40 on JMU!

Nova at UNH
ODU at URI
Maine at JMU
W&M at Delaware
CCSU at UMass
UR at Towson

Defense played great against CCSU. Defense played pretty well at Liberty too, though not great, in adverse conditions. Defense played very well, but not great against WM, and defense played incredible against UR. It's a trend ... they've gotten better every game (it's hard to tell against CCSU since they are lower-calliber).

The offense kept the CCSU game close ... since then the offense has clicked pretty well. THis game won't be high scoring .. it'll probably be 21-10 or 17-10, although my confidence in JMU's offense has me thinking 27-10.

dunbar
October 7th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Maine's defense (specifically the line) has played very well (5 sacks at Pitt). Do not underestimate the Black Hole defense. The Black Bear offense can get going quickly and rack up points. Maybe not as many as previous games, but they've shown that they can. Low scoring affair.

Maine 17-13

Wildcat80
October 7th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Maine's defense (specifically the line) has played very well (5 sacks at Pitt). Do not underestimate the Black Hole defense. The Black Bear offense can get going quickly and rack up points. Maybe not as many as previous games, but they've shown that they can. Low scoring affair.

Maine 17-13

That would really make our last game exciting!

VUCats02
October 8th, 2011, 12:47 AM
It's actually kind of nice every once in a while to have no expectations or pressure for a season. Nova is 100% expected to lose against UNH, so it's a win-win situation. We lose, which we are supposed to do this year, and just try to keep getting better for next year. We win, and, well, we win.

Next year, there will be different expectations, but this year has been relaxing as a Nova football fan :P

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 8th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Villanova 14 at New Hampshire 45. xrotatehx Not that Sean wants to run it up on his pal, Andy, but finally a breather.

Old Dominion 21 at Rhode Island 20. xthumbsupx Wilder's boys can play in the CAA.

Maine 14 at James Madison 13. xbowx Somehow Jack finds defenders who can both bruise and run! Upset special!

William and Mary 28 at Delaware 12. xeekx KC and the Sunshine Hens are entering free fall, .....

CCSU 10 at UMass 52. xtroublex Rebound week for M'Men.

UR 24 at Towson 21, Double OT. xsighx Nearly Upset Special #2.

bleedblue
October 8th, 2011, 10:12 AM
One reason why Maine could beat JMU is Maine's OL is, IMHO, better than W&M's. Here's some other reasons. JMU has not had convincing wins against lesser competition and Maine played very well against Pitt, look at stats if you did not see the game, and beat a decent UD team soundly. Also JMU Def played a W&M team that is struggling and has zero pass game. I'm a firm believer that when you have a very good D that plays a one dimensional O, like the running game of W&M, you then go from very good to dominating. JMU will have to respect, equally, the run and pass game of Maine. If they don't they can be beat. With all that being said I think JMU wins, because they are home. The big question mark is JMU QB. #12 looks to have very big upside but he is a FR-r and this is a huge game. He looked very composed last week but he could make a mistakes against a good Maine D which would give Maine the victory. So again, slight edge to JMU and if #12 has a great game then JMU by 11. One last thing if #11 does not play for JMU this will go down to the wire. JMU fans will tell you there's no drop off from #11 to #47 and #28 but they are just wrong. #11 is one of the top backs in CAA and if JMU can throw the ball effectively he could be one of the top backs in all of FCS. Again there is a drop off if he does not play.

JMUNJ08
October 8th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Big week but not much time for indepth thought...I see 1 road win and home teams keeping serve. Plus I bring back my ill fated Bonus pick plus an extra...

Nova 17 at UNH 38
ODU 31 at URI 24
Maine 16 at JMU 20
W&M 13 at Delaware 30
CCSU 10 at UMass 27
UR 17 at Towson 18

Bonus
Murray St. 27 - GaSt. 23
Indiana St 23 @ UNI 24

wmtribe1693
October 8th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Great win for Maine. I guess they did what it took.

HensRock
October 8th, 2011, 06:16 PM
How could anyone have picked Maine over JMU?
xwhistlex

Wildcat80
October 8th, 2011, 06:18 PM
How could anyone have picked Maine over JMU?
xwhistlex

Uhhh...I did. North teams are just tougher. Congrats Bears!

HensRock
October 8th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Uhh, It looks to me like you picked JMU.
But some of us did pick Maine.
(I was being sarcastic)

Tribal
October 8th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Looks to be the year UNH breaks their slump against the Tribe.

Mattymc727
October 8th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Looks to be the year UNH breaks their slump against the Tribe.

from your keyboard to gods computer screen. Until it actually happens, ill take W&M at home

R3TRO
October 8th, 2011, 07:37 PM

Looks like they didn't have to put up 31.

TwoFeathers
October 8th, 2011, 07:42 PM
W&M officially stinks...

HensRock
October 8th, 2011, 07:45 PM
W&M officially stinks...

That 4th quarter was tough to watch even for a UD fan. We've been there before too though.
I feel for you.

BlueHenSinfonian
W&M officially stinks...

I wish Laycock had kept Paulus in against UD last year.

R3TRO
Well UNH hasn't beaten W&M since '99 or something like that. So, there's that.

TwoFeathers
October 8th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Ad on Williamsburg Craigslist reads "Football throwers and catchers wanted"

TwoFeathers
October 8th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I wish Laycock had kept Paulus in against UD last year.

Didn't matter, you guys went to the finals anyways.

JMUNJ08
October 8th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Nova 17 at UNH 38xbowx
ODU 31 at URI 24xbowx
Maine 16 at JMU 20xbawlingxxbawlingx
W&M 13 at Delaware 30xthumbsupx
CCSU 10 at UMass 27xthumbsupx
UR 17 at Towson 18xbowxxbowxxbowx

Bonus
Murray St. 27 - GaSt. 23xthumbsupx
Indiana St 23 @ UNI 24xthumbsupx

7-1 Overall
4-1 CAA
2-0 Bonus

Not a bad week exccept for my Dukes....

Few notes:
-W&M is in T-R-O-U-B-L-E
- Maine is the favorite?
- ODU and Towson are officially contenders
- UR needs a conference win (or a bye week not to lose another)

Can't wait until week 7 with Gems such as:
Towson @ ODU (Headliner game????)
UNH @ W&M
URI @ Maine
Nova @ JMU
UMass @ UD
GaSt @ SCSU

BlueHenSinfonian
October 9th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Nova at UNH - Nova's youth and inexperience can't compete with the veteran UNH squad.
ODU at URI - Kingston can be a tough place to play, and URI is always capable of a surprising upset, but after losing to Brown, I don't have a lot of faith in the Rams.
Maine at JMU - Maine is the real deal this year. Good running and passing game, plenty of experience, and coming into this game on a roll after a rare win against UD.
W&M at Delaware - The Hens learn from their mistakes against Maine, and come into this game ready to play four quarters of hard nosed football.
CCSU at UMass - What has ODU done? Well, they beat UMass, something that CCSU won't be able to accomplish.
UR at Towson - Richmond came out against Duke on fire, but as we get deeper into the season things have been starting to unravel. Maybe the change in practice style with the new HC has something to do with it, maybe it's something else, but this game looks to be Towson's to lose.

Nailed 'em all this week. I know I was giving props to Maine last week, but in the back of my mind I wasn't sure if they were actually that good, if it was Delaware that was bad, or if the rain and wind in Orono were to blame. It looks like Maine proved themselves to everyone and removed all doubt this week - this is a scary Maine team, and the CAA needs to do what it needs to do to make sure that UNH and Maine don't bolt for more geographically sensible pastures.

W&M needs to do something about Paulus. As it is Paulus is as much a great white hype as Riccio was to UD fans a few years ago. The difference is that Paulus has actually shown the ability to play here and there, so maybe some intensive work in practice this week will yield some results. The Tribe has a defense, and as they say, defenses win championships, but you need some sort of offense to go with it.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 9th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Nailed 'em all this week. I know I was giving props to Maine last week, but in the back of my mind I wasn't sure if they were actually that good, if it was Delaware that was bad, or if the rain and wind in Orono were to blame. It looks like Maine proved themselves to everyone and removed all doubt this week - this is a scary Maine team, and the CAA needs to do what it needs to do to make sure that UNH and Maine don't bolt for more geographically sensible pastures.

W&M needs to do something about Paulus. As it is Paulus is as much a great white hype as Riccio was to UD fans a few years ago. The difference is that Paulus has actually shown the ability to play here and there, so maybe some intensive work in practice this week will yield some results. The Tribe has a defense, and as they say, defenses win championships, but you need some sort of offense to go with it.

xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxh urrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxbeerchugx

JmuSkinsfan
October 9th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I've come back to eat my crow regarding my Maine comments ... their offense is certainly well balanced enough and "shutting down the run" is not the simple answer to beating them. ALTHOUGH, I did say no team would put up more than 17 points against JMU's defense ... I SHOULD HAVE said IN REGULATION. Great game by Maine ... that was a gutsy call on the 2-point conversion ... Whoever Maine's TE is ... future opponents need to learn to COVER him ... he shredded us.

molly
October 9th, 2011, 12:03 PM

The only reason Paulus played is because Graham was out with an illness. I think it's very clear that Paulus hasn't fully recovered from shoulder surgery, and he isn't going to be the QB he was last year. Not having reliable receivers doesn't help either.