PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-3

JALMOND
October 4th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Hard to believe that we are quickly approaching the halfway point of the season and there still is a ton of things to work out in the Big Sky. Parity is the rule as the conference has one great team (Montana State) and one bad team (Northern Colorado). That seems to be the only sure things. The rest of us are somewhere in the middle. Here are this week's Big Sky power rankings. This week (last week). All are still my opinion only and all are open for discussion. This should stimulate some great discussion.

1. Montana State (1)---So I kind of gave this one away. The Bobcats have taken control of the conference after winning on the road at Eastern Washington and solidified their hold with a win at home against Sacramento State last week. Other teams have had moments of greatness followed by times of woe, but the Bobcats seem to be a model of consistency. This week, they had back on the road to play Portland State.

2. Montana (4)---Impressive win for the Grizzlies at home against the lowly Northern Colorado team last week, but playing against the Bears is hard not to look impressive. The Grizzlies broke open a semi-close game with a strong third quarter and never looked back. The main thing is that the Grizzlies are still looking for a road win and they get another chance this weekend at Idaho State, where anything can happen, and usually does.

3. Eastern Washington (5)---The Eagles stumbled out of the gate to a murderous schedule, but was able to finally break into the win column by defeating a strong Weber State team. Battered and bruised, they were finally able to earn a big (and first) win. Whether they can build on it remains to be seen as they go on the road this weekend to Northern Arizona. The first win is usually the toughest so do things get easy from here?

4. Weber State (2)---As a great season was building for the Wildcats, they headed into the Inferno at Eastern Washington to do what everyone else had done in beating the defending champions. However, when the smoke cleared, it was the Wildcats who were on the short end. Now they may be unsure of where this season is going. They do get a bye week this week to regroup and come back out strong.

5. Sacramento State (3)---The Hornets ventured into Montana State last week with a bit of a swagger after dispatching Montana the previous week. However that swagger was soon displaced and they left Bozeman on the short end. A great effort but a loss nonetheless and the Hornets are left with trying to salvage their magical season. This weekend, they stay on the road and play the conference doormat, Northern Colorado. Can they regroup?

6. Portland State (6)---Last week, the Vikings went into Idaho State's place and emerged victorious for the first time since 1999, keeping their conference record unblemished along with Montana State. The Vikings had to overcome 21 penalties, mainly due to the effects of the crowd noise in the Bengals minidome. This week, a matchup of the two undefeateds as the Vikings welcome Montana State to their house. Only one will be left.

7. Northern Arizona (7)---Everyone else was moving along last week and the Lumberjacks took a much needed break. Putting the win two weeks ago at home against Idaho State behind them, the Lumberjacks had this time to prepare for the defending national champions Eastern Washington and a chance to right the season. Can they destroy the Eagles season and keep their hopes alive?

8. Idaho State (8)---Things were looking great for the Bengals as they played Portland State last week, a team the Bengals had not lost to in Pocatello since 1999. However, after having many chances to put them away, the Bengals finally succumbed to the Vikings strong rushing attack. In order to improve on their last few seasons, they need to get some wins. But with the mighty Montana team coming into their building, that might not happen.

9. Northern Colorado (9)---Then there is the last team. The Bears looked competitive against Montana for the first few minutes. Then the Grizzlies walked all over the Bears. The Bears need to find someone to stop the bleeding. This week, they have the conference upstart, Sacramento State, coming into their house. Can the Bears pull out a victory or will they let it go away?

wapiti
October 4th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Here is how I rank the teams this week.
1. Montana State---With each W the Cats solidify this spot. This week they travel to take on Portland State who is undefeated in fcs play. One of these teams will have an L to an fcs team.

2. Sacramento State---A loss to the number one ranked team should not be too surprising and Sac state retains it number 2 slot.

3. Montana---A nice home win over a weak UNC team.

4. Eastern Washington---The first W of the season. And it was over a good Weber team.

5. Weber State---They played EWU close, but fell short. WSU is still in the playoff hunt ans still not ruled out as a contender for the BSC crown.

6. Portland State---A nice road win over upstart ISU. A W this week will really boost their ranking.

7. Northern Arizona---I still do not have a good read on this team. A bye this past weekend did not clear anything up about them.

8. Idaho State---This team in on the rise. They still have a ways to go, but they do have potential to cause waves this year. They are no longer a push over.

9. Northern Colorado---I do not know what to say hear. UNC has work to do.

Walkon79
October 4th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I think you're both selling Portland State a little short this week. The only other unbeaten conference team should at least be at #3.

JALMOND
October 4th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I think you're both selling Portland State a little short this week. The only other unbeaten conference team should at least be at #3.

You're too kind, but we have only beaten NAU and ISU. Until we show we can play with the big boys, we belong in the bottom half. We'll get a better idea on the season in these next two weeks (home against Montana State and then at Montana).

bobcathpdevil56
October 6th, 2011, 11:56 AM
The trip to Portland is always tough for the Cats. We have had to perform some pretty tall feats in order to come up with wins at jeld-wen field. I think it was 2005 when we had to score a bunch in the 2nd half and kick a field goal to win and keep the season on track. Should be a good game.

Green Cookie Monster
October 6th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Who has PSU beat? Maybe NAU is their marguee W.

JALMOND
October 6th, 2011, 09:13 PM
The trip to Portland is always tough for the Cats. We have had to perform some pretty tall feats in order to come up with wins at jeld-wen field. I think it was 2005 when we had to score a bunch in the 2nd half and kick a field goal to win and keep the season on track. Should be a good game.

We actually won in 2005. That is actually the last time we beat the Bobcats. That game we had in hand and "Oil of" Lulay almost singlehandedly brought you guys back. I still hate that guy. :)

NoCoDanny
October 6th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Can you rank up lower just for accuracy? Maybe put a few RMAC schools in there... or all the RMAC schools actually.

bobcathpdevil56
October 7th, 2011, 09:58 AM
We actually won in 2005. That is actually the last time we beat the Bobcats. That game we had in hand and "Oil of" Lulay almost singlehandedly brought you guys back. I still hate that guy. :)

Yep, that was right. Should be a fun one, lots of running the ball. Three yards and a cloud of dust