PDA

View Full Version : SoCon power ranikings for 10/2

GSU Eagle
October 2nd, 2011, 12:28 PM
Here is how I would rank them at this point:

1. GSU. Until someone beats the Eagles they have to stay #1.
2. Wofford. GSU and Wofford at this point are clearly the top 2 teams.
3. Appalachian. I would have dropped them more but Chatt lost.
4. Furman. I know they only have 1 loss, but still am not sold on how good they are.
5. Chattanooga. 2 painful losses in a row.
6. Citadel. Moved up some with big win yesterday.
7. Elon. Still searching for consistency and a way to reduce turnovers.
8. Samford. Win over Gardner-Webb but no conference wins yet.
9. WCU. Certainly there can be no argument here.

A reasonable argument could be made to switch Furman and Appalachian, but I go with the above for now.

Reign of Terrier
October 2nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
1) Wofford: has the better win out of GSU and Wofford
2) GSU: proving week in and week out that they have probably one of the best offenses in the nation with great speed on that side of the football. Defense may be not as good as last year but that's due to them playing teams that pass the ball a million times, still a top defense though.
3) Furman: efficient QB, great power run game, great defense, lots of talent; how did they lose to CCU?
4) App State: a good football team with a fast defense (that needs to tackle better); they also need offensive identity
5) Samford: A solid football team, that's coached really well. They'll score points this year and catch someone napping
6)Elon- a good football team that can rack up yards, but makes too many mistakes to be great. They can't stop the option either
7) The Citadel- Great defense, offense seems to be improving, but still has a way to go.
8) Chattanooga- Defense is going to keep them in games, but they have no run game and can't protect Coleman against quality pass rushes. Did Coleman get hurt in the last game? I thought I heard that?
9) Western-Offense is far improved this year, but I wouldn't call that team they put on the field when the other team has the ball a defense

There really is no big difference between teams 3-8, any of them could beat each other. Wofford and GSU have separated themselves by being more consistently good, whereas Western has done the opposite.

I'm picking Wofford, GSU, Elon, and Furman to win this week. No victor by more than 14 points or so though

SuperEagle
October 2nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
2) GSU: proving week in and week out that they have probably one of the best offenses in the nation with great speed on that side of the football. Defense may be not as good as last year but that's due to them playing teams that pass the ball a million times, still a top defense though.
3) Furman: efficient QB, great power run game, great defense, lots of talent; how did they lose to CCU?
4) App State: a good football team with a fast defense (that needs to tackle better); they also need offensive identity
5) Samford: A solid football team, that's coached really well. They'll score points this year and catch someone napping
6)Elon- a good football team that can rack up yards, but makes too many mistakes to be great. They can't stop the option either
7) The Citadel- Great defense, offense seems to be improving, but still has a way to go.
8) Chattanooga- Defense is going to keep them in games, but they have no run game and can't protect Coleman against quality pass rushes. Did Coleman get hurt in the last game? I thought I heard that?
9) Western-Offense is far improved this year, but I wouldn't call that team they put on the field when the other team has the ball a defense

There really is no big difference between teams 4-8, any of them could beat each other. Wofford and GSU have separated themselves by being more consistently good, whereas Western has done the opposite.

I'm picking Wofford, GSU, Elon, and Furman to win this week. No victor by more than 14 points or so though
At this point in the season, I have no issues with Wofford being #1 as they did take down a SOCON heavyweight. And I think Samford is a dangerous team. They gave us fits for a while and could surprise some teams this year.

MplsBison
October 2nd, 2011, 01:02 PM
Not a chance.

Wofford is the clear #1 after beating App and the close loss to Clemson, who looks like the ACC champion at this point and possibly playing in the BCS title game depending on what other teams do.

GSU has beat...no one.

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2011, 01:14 PM

There really is no big difference between teams 3-8, any of them could beat each other. Wofford and GSU have separated themselves by being more consistently good, whereas Western has done the opposite.

Furman lost on a last minute touchdown, on the road, first game, at night, with a new coaching staff, and Chris Forcier went out with injury in the third quarter. Not to mention, coastal has only dropped one game to Georgia. They are not a terrible team.

No excuses, but I think any furman fan will tell you that the team has looked better each game.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 2nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Defense may be not as good as last year but that's due to them playing teams that pass the ball a million times, still a top defense though.

Once again, I think once GSU gets into the tough part of the schedule our offense won't look quite as scary and the defense will look better. Don't know if anyone has watched GSU play, but we added some new wrinkles (shotgun formations and a few other things) and there is no telling how it will do against the elite defenses of the SoCon.

Also, GSU's second-team and third team defenses have given up a good many passing yards and points, and that deflates the numbers. GSU has played backups in all four games so far. I'm not particularly concerned with passing defense. Teams get passing yards on us because they can't run on us (#2 in rush D in the FCS) and with reckless passing game comes INTs (in the top 10 in interceptions) In the end the scoring defense is the best stat for gauging a defense and without the late game points by our opponents I think we'd be at lowest #2 in the FCS.

I think we'll beat UTC in a 27-10 type score, especially if Joel Bradford is out. And that's not because I think we're that much better than them. It's that UTC will have a big problem with our pass rush.

md64179
October 2nd, 2011, 03:36 PM
I would have to go with

GSU
Wofford
ASU
Furman
El Cid
UTC
Samford
Elon
Western

Lots of time left in the season. These rankings are bound to change

Terrierforlife
October 2nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
Once again, I think once GSU gets into the tough part of the schedule our offense won't look quite as scary and the defense will look better. Don't know if anyone has watched GSU play, but we added some new wrinkles (shotgun formations and a few other things) and there is no telling how it will do against the elite defenses of the SoCon.

Also, GSU's second-team and third team defenses have given up a good many passing yards and points, and that deflates the numbers. GSU has played backups in all four games so far. I'm not particularly concerned with passing defense. Teams get passing yards on us because they can't run on us (#2 in rush D in the FCS) and with reckless passing game comes INTs (in the top 10 in interceptions) In the end the scoring defense is the best stat for gauging a defense and without the late game points by our opponents I think we'd be at lowest #2 in the FCS.

I think we'll beat UTC in a 27-10 type score, especially if Joel Bradford is out. And that's not because I think we're that much better than them. It's that UTC will have a big problem with our pass rush.

Yeah, those "new wrinkles" look mighty familiar!

Baldy
October 2nd, 2011, 04:47 PM
GSU has beat...everyone.

Accuracy.

Eaglesrus
October 2nd, 2011, 05:00 PM
Accuracy.

Exactly. Not saying we'll beat everyone we'll play, but then again we might. All we we know is that we've beaten everyone we've played by an average of 46.5 - 18.

FurmanWins!!
October 2nd, 2011, 05:17 PM
2011 NCAA College Football Jeff Sagarin computer ratings by conference:

SoCon is the top rated league as of now
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc11.htm

FurmanWins!!
October 2nd, 2011, 05:17 PM
Go Paladins, Beat Samford!!!!!!!!!!!

SpeedkingATL
October 2nd, 2011, 05:41 PM
1. Wofford-Domination of App State and close Clemson loss looking more and more impressive.
2. Georgia Southern-Haven't had the big win yet but their chance is coming.
3. Appalachian-Still out them at 3 but lots of questions about the offense.
4. Furman. Looking better each week.
5. Chattanooga-Gotta learn to finish games to become elite team.
6. Citadel-Offense improving to help the defense. Confidence building win over UTC.
7. Elon-Very dangerous but too many mistakes to win against top competition. Talent is there.
8. Samford-Play everyone tough and win get a big SoCon win at some point.
9. WCU-Offense much improved but absolutely no rushing defense.

Still believe in the much improved SoCon with no dominate App State about anything can happen going forward. Eagles and Terriers trying to seperate from the pack and Furman positioned to surprise. Wofford offense looked like a machine against App yesterday and no one has slowed down the Eagles on the ground either.

Apphole
October 2nd, 2011, 06:23 PM
Wofford
Stink
App State
Furple
El Cid
Nooga
Elon
Lil Sammy
The Worst-in-Carolina can'tamounts

Eagle16
October 2nd, 2011, 06:48 PM
Wofford
GA Southern
Furman
App
Chattanooga
Samford
Citadel
Elon
W Carolina

MplsBison
October 2nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
Exactly. Not saying we'll beat everyone we'll play, but then again we might. All we we know is that we've beaten everyone we've played by an average of 46.5 - 18.

And you've played...no one.

It's a shame you didn't come to Fargo this year. Too much to lose, I guess.

eaglewraith
October 2nd, 2011, 07:23 PM

We've beaten everyone that's played us. That's all you have to do.

And Fargo is too damn far. Never should have agreed to a home and home with you in the first place. At the time you were a transitional team, we're a traditional powerhouse who for some reason made that agreement. Our AD lost his mind on that one, should have been a one and done.

longtimemocfan
October 2nd, 2011, 07:26 PM

Right now I'd be happy with 27-10. B.J. has gotten trigger happy and not stepping into his throws. Moving out the pocket sooner than he needs to. I have yet to substantiate that Bradford is hurt. I just know most teams are trying to take throws to him away and forcing B.J. to go to other receivers. It will be interesting to see how we respond next week. Hopefully we can be competitive.

MplsBison
October 2nd, 2011, 07:31 PM
We've beaten everyone that's played us. That's all you have to do.

And Fargo is too damn far. Never should have agreed to a home and home with you in the first place. At the time you were a transitional team, we're a traditional powerhouse who for some reason made that agreement. Our AD lost his mind on that one, should have been a one and done.

Well we took the win on a nice, cool southern Georgia day in 2006 (I think it was in the 70s that day?). And either way, we took the money - you bought out of the contract instead of paying us a guarantee in in 06.

straightshooter
October 2nd, 2011, 07:54 PM
Well we took the win on a nice, cool southern Georgia day in 2006 (I think it was in the 70s that day?). And either way, we took the money - you bought out of the contract instead of paying us a guarantee in in 06.

What you played in '06 was not in any way, shape or form Georgia Southern football. You simply caught us in the darkest year in GSU history, led by a complete egomaniac for a coach who came in and trashed the school, did away with most GSU traditions and ran off close to half of the team fresh off of a playoff road loss (a loss, but playoffs none the less).

seantaylor
October 2nd, 2011, 07:55 PM

Winning against Van Gorder and Chris Hatcher really means nothing. Those guys would lose to NAIA teams if they played them.

CID1990
October 2nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
Right now I'd be happy with 27-10. B.J. has gotten trigger happy and not stepping into his throws. Moving out the pocket sooner than he needs to. I have yet to substantiate that Bradford is hurt. I just know most teams are trying to take throws to him away and forcing B.J. to go to other receivers. It will be interesting to see how we respond next week. Hopefully we can be competitive.

I think you guys will be fine this season. The team got way up for ASU and then overlooked El Cid is all. I think our team is deceivingly better, also. We had a couple of tough breaks and could easily be 3-0 in the SoCon right now. Unfortunately I think the win this weekend may have been a wake up call for the Terriers. I am glad we have them in Charleston because we will need all the help we can get.

Reign of Terrier
October 2nd, 2011, 08:03 PM
I think you guys will be fine this season. The team got way up for ASU and then overlooked El Cid is all. I think our team is deceivingly better, also. We had a couple of tough breaks and could easily be 3-0 in the SoCon right now. Unfortunately I think the win this weekend may have been a wake up call for the Terriers. I am glad we have them in Charleston because we will need all the help we can get.

Should be a great game, but I think Wofford's offense will be more productive against Citadel defense than the opposite...20-6 Woffordxthumbsupx

FurmanWins!!
October 2nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
To Wofford and GSU fans, what are your thoughts on Samford, I think if FU has another great outing this Saturday against SU then we will have a legit shot at having a very good season potentially, and it would also setup a huge showdown with one of our biggest all time rivals, the good old eagles from down in the Boro assuming they get past Chatty.

Go Paladins, Beat Samford!!!

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2011, 08:23 PM

I think its a bit of a stretch to say you would be 3-0 with a few lucky bounces. The Citadel had one good sniff of the endzone against Furman, settled for a field goal, and that was about all she wrote.

Eaglesrus
October 2nd, 2011, 08:24 PM
Not a chance.

Wofford is the clear #1 after beating App and the close loss to Clemson, who looks like the ACC champion at this point and possibly playing in the BCS title game depending on what other teams do.

GSU has beat...no one.

Our teams are both different than they were in 2006, I would argue that ours is much more so than yours. Obviously 2006 doesn't matter at this point, anyway. As to us not having played anyone, I won't argue that, but we've played the teams that are on our schedule and will continue to do so, and then if we manage to make the playoffs we'll play whoever we draw. Maybe somewhere in there we'll play a team(s) that you think is someone and we'll see what happens. Personally, I don't care where we're ranked right now, just whether we win or lose. I will care where we're ranked on November 20, however, and then again on January 7. As to us not coming to Fargo this year, I'm sorry that your feelings were hurt and it's certainly your perogative to think that it's because we had "too much to lose".

Reign of Terrier
October 2nd, 2011, 08:25 PM
To Wofford and GSU fans, what are your thoughts on Samford, I think if FU has another great outing this Saturday against SU then we will have a legit shot at having a very good season potentially, and it would also setup a huge showdown with one of our biggest all time rivals, the good old eagles from down in the Boro assuming they get past Chatty.

They're a good, well coached, team. They don't quite have the athletes to run their offense IMO but they can still pass it all over the place. Defense is a tough read. They couldn't stop Wofford but they were able to force turnovers against GSU. I think Furman wins by 10 but it could be closer, it wouldn't surprise me if Sammy won it. The problem with Sammy is that they come to play every week, they play well, and teams recognize that they won't roll over like Chatty used to or Western, so they have a harder time of sneaking up on anyone. I'm glad my terriers got the W over them early

Eaglesrus
October 2nd, 2011, 08:48 PM

They're a good, well coached, team. They don't quite have the athletes to run their offense IMO but they can still pass it all over the place. Defense is a tough read. They couldn't stop Wofford but they were able to force turnovers against GSU. I think Furman wins by 10 but it could be closer, it wouldn't surprise me if Sammy won it. The problem with Sammy is that they come to play every week, they play well, and teams recognize that they won't roll over like Chatty used to or Western, so they have a harder time of sneaking up on anyone. I'm glad my terriers got the W over them early

I think YT summed it up pretty well. I'll be surprised if Samford doesn't beat someone they're not expected to this year.

SoCon48
October 2nd, 2011, 09:12 PM
At this point in the season, I have no issues with Wofford being #1 as they did take down a SOCON heavyweight. And I think Samford is a dangerous team. They gave us fits for a while and could surprise some teams this year.

App is in a rebuilding year. I'm not sure this year they can be called a "heavyweight".

Reign of Terrier
October 2nd, 2011, 09:35 PM
If App finds an offense they are certainly a top 15 team. They are still a playoff team, they get GSU at home, and I don't think any team besides Furman will beat them

PhoenixMan
October 2nd, 2011, 10:26 PM
I am inclined to argue with those posters that are putting Elon below the Citadel (we beat them, remember?) and Samford. However, the way we are turning the ball over, I can't argue. I do think we have more talent than either of those teams, but protecting the ball is the name of the game, and we can't seem to do it. Hopefully, it turns around so we can be competitive.

CID1990
October 3rd, 2011, 04:02 AM
Should be a great game, but I think Wofford's offense will be more productive against Citadel defense than the opposite...20-6 Woffordxthumbsupx

I'll take that.

If we hold Wofford to under 21 points in JHS then I like our chances.

OL FU
October 3rd, 2011, 04:37 AM
1. WC
2. GSU
3 ASU
4. Chatt
5. FU
6. Samford
7. Elon
8. Citadel
9. WCU

I think 1 and 2 could go either way. I picked Wofford to win the conference, might as well stick with them.
I think a reasonable argument could be made to move Furman ahead of ASU and Chatt but until we play someone, I will leave us here.

The others, it was a great game by the Citadel to win but they lost to Elon the week before. I am not much for changing my opinion based on one game. If the trend continues then there I will move them around alot.

I will also agree with YT's comment that there may not be a lot of difference between 3 and 8 so where you are rated in those categories will probably change and flip back on forth a lot.

GaSouthern
October 3rd, 2011, 05:28 AM

I would agree with this but I would like to add that we are missing two of our top 4 playmakers on defense and I contribute that to some of the letdown on defense. Our D is still playing good though and this weekend should give us a better idea of what we really have.

OL FU
October 3rd, 2011, 06:02 AM
This weeks winners

Wofford
GSU
Elon
Furman (but it will be a close one)

olejack
October 3rd, 2011, 07:48 AM
Congrats to the tough Cadet Bulldogs. One heck of a come back. One heck of a collapse by the Mocs. Until the Mocs can prove that they can finish games we won't be able to get over the hump of being a top playoff program. I certainly believe they have the potential to do so and very well may be able to develope that this year. We have got to find a running game and special teams needs to improve dramatically. Until we can find a solid run game I'd like to see the Mocs go with a more short, high percentage pass game ie screens, backs in the flat, TE hots and that type of thing. Seems like all we try is the medium to long range passes.

appfan2008
October 3rd, 2011, 07:56 AM
watching ASU play on saturday in spartanburg was downright depressing... i would say right now we are the 4th best team in the conference ONLY because UTC lost or I would have us 5th... :(

Smitty
October 3rd, 2011, 07:57 AM
Definitely last in the SoCon... Offense is much improved from the past few years. While it is not perfect, we have only used it in 4 games now.

However, I am tired of the coach saying all we have to do is score 1 point more than the other offense. If we could have some turn overs or stops on 3rd down we could spoil peoples days. Until that happens though we will always be at the bottom.

SoCon48
October 3rd, 2011, 08:05 AM
I am inclined to argue with those posters that are putting Elon below the Citadel (we beat them, remember?) and Samford. However, the way we are turning the ball over, I can't argue. I do think we have more talent than either of those teams, but protecting the ball is the name of the game, and we can't seem to do it. Hopefully, it turns around so we can be competitive.

FWIW, beating The Citadel in Rhodes is different from beating them in Charleston.

SoCon48
October 3rd, 2011, 08:08 AM
watching ASU play on saturday in spartanburg was downright depressing... i would say right now we are the 4th best team in the conference ONLY because UTC lost or I would have us 5th... :(

I predicted early on that ASU, in this major rebuilding year, would finish 7-4. It's going to take a huge effort to do that or better.

ElonPride
October 3rd, 2011, 08:11 AM
Definitely last in the SoCon... Offense is much improved from the past few years. While it is not perfect, we have only used it in 4 games now.

However, I am tired of the coach saying all we have to do is score 1 point more than the other offense. If we could have some turn overs or stops on 3rd down we could spoil peoples days. Until that happens though we will always be at the bottom.

Feel your pain with the turnover issue. xnonono2x

Apphole
October 3rd, 2011, 09:13 AM
Congrats to the tough Cadet Bulldogs. One heck of a come back. One heck of a collapse by the Mocs. Until the Mocs can prove that they can finish games we won't be able to get over the hump of being a top playoff program. I certainly believe they have the potential to do so and very well may be able to develope that this year. We have got to find a running game and special teams needs to improve dramatically. Until we can find a solid run game I'd like to see the Mocs go with a more short, high percentage pass game ie screens, backs in the flat, TE hots and that type of thing. Seems like all we try is the medium to long range passes.

After Saturday, you may want to work on becoming a regular playoff contender before becoming a top playoff contender. Step one would be actually making the playoffs, which is pretty much out of reach for you already this year.

asumike83
October 3rd, 2011, 09:16 AM
1. Georgia Southern
2. Wofford
3. Appalachian State
4. Furman
5. Chattanooga
6. Citadel
7. Elon
8. Samford
9. Western Carolina

Apphole
October 3rd, 2011, 09:19 AM
I predicted early on that ASU, in this major rebuilding year, would finish 7-4. It's going to take a huge effort to do that or better.

Oh ye of little faith. This team will get better. I don't expect to see more than one more loss in the regular season. We are struggling with coaching, O-line, and of the field issues that will ALL improve with time.

olejack
October 3rd, 2011, 09:27 AM
After Saturday, you may want to work on becoming a regular playoff contender before becoming a top playoff contender. Step one would be actually making the playoffs, which is pretty much out of reach for you already this year.

I would agree with that, App. Maybe a better way to put it would be to be a top contender in the SoCon as I feel the SoCon is one of the top FCS conferences and would go a long way to playoff possibilities. Although, like you said after Saturdays game we have a lot of improving to be a top team in the SoCon.

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2011, 09:55 AM
Oh ye of little faith. This team will get better. I don't expect to see more than one more loss in the regular season. We are struggling with coaching, O-line, and of the field issues that will ALL improve with time.

I'm reluctant to say they will all improve with time. App isn't installing a new system, with new players, and a new coaching staff. I watched the Wofford game, and App just got whipped up front on both sides of the ball. Not something you are accustomed to seeing.

App may well lose only one game the rest of the season. I do not believe those wins will come as easily as they have the past several years.

Biff
October 3rd, 2011, 10:31 AM
FWIW, beating The Citadel in Rhodes is different from beating them in Charleston.

I agree, but I would keep Elon over us right now. A win against Wofford or App St. in the next couple of weeks, would give us a nod over Elon. I'm not expecting wins in either game. But if it were ever a year to beat App St., this looks like our best chance since 2003. My ranking:

1. Wofford
2. GSU
3. Furman
4. App. St.
5. Elon
6. The Citadel
7. Chattanooga
8. Samford
9. WCU

I think Chatty is better than 7th, but they are 0-2 in the conference. The lost to The Citadel has to point them to the bottom of the league.

asumike83
October 3rd, 2011, 10:50 AM
App may well lose only one game the rest of the season. I do not believe those wins will come as easily as they have the past several years.

You are right on there. I see App ending up with 7-8 regular season wins and a spot in the playoffs, but they are not the dominant teams of past years and we will not see many blowouts. Very young team with tons of potential for the future but for a "down year", not too shabby.

cannonballgsu
October 3rd, 2011, 11:44 AM
While GSU has beat the teams they should beat, and by a wide margin, I think they are still not the #1 team. We have made too many mistakes. Based on what little of the game against App State I got to see Sat, Wofford played solid.

chattanoogamocs
October 3rd, 2011, 01:22 PM
Just some information...Coleman did not get hurt, but Bradford did...however, Bradford should be fine for Saturday (I believe he just got popped in the nose late in the 4th and kinda rung his bell).

As for the Mocs, I said in pre-season that they could be a much better team this year and only win 5 games (tough schedule...including ASU and GSU both on the road). While they might have some great key players like Coleman and Bradford and Consiglio and Tippit. The team just got all their scholarships back this year and the full roster is comprised 70% of freshmen and sophomores.

This year is the biggest transition years from Rodney Allison's players to Huesman's players...there are a ton of freshman playing in key positions...they have talent, but freshmen are freshmen (they can look great on one play and look lost on the next one).

If the OLine can continue to mature and they can get at least one healthy running back (preferably Awuah), I still think they have a chance at 6-7 wins. The biggest problem in the pre-season was...too many UTC fans starting believing their own message board hype.

Whew...this sure is a terrible time to try to be re-grouping...5 days to Statesboro. Yikes!

chattanoogamocs
October 3rd, 2011, 01:23 PM
As for the top two...I give it to Wofford based on schedule to this point. Both GSU and Wofford look really strong. More like 1A and 1B than 1 and 2.

chattanoogamocs
October 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
BTW...did Chattownmocs disappear?

I stuck with my long standing self-imposed rule of not posting on message boards in the first 48 hours after a bad loss (it keeps me from saying too many stupid things)

ElonPride
October 3rd, 2011, 01:35 PM
BTW...did Chattownmocs disappear?

I stuck with my long standing self-imposed rule of not posting on message boards in the first 48 hours after a bad loss (it keeps me from saying too many stupid things)

In all honesty, El Cid is a fairly good team overall......I wouldn't consider losing to them a bad loss.

The conference top to bottom is much better this year than in previous years.

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
While GSU has beat the teams they should beat, and by a wide margin, I think they are still not the #1 team. We have made too many mistakes. Based on what little of the game against App State I got to see Sat, Wofford played solid.

I have no problem contending GSU is the team to beat, but why does everyone assume they are a country mile ahead of all other teams? Borderline playoff team last year (would not have been in the playoffs but for the expanded field), beat some teams in the post season who never see the option, and then haven't played much in the way of a tough schedule to this point.

I'm one of the last people to go with the "who have they played argument," but beat App or Wofford by 40 and we'll talk about the "wide margin." Right now, they are probably the best team, but I don't think the margin is substantial.

eaglewraith
October 3rd, 2011, 01:42 PM
I have no problem contending GSU is the team to beat, but why does everyone assume they are a country mile ahead of all other teams? Borderline playoff team last year (would not have been in the playoffs but for the expanded field), beat some teams in the post season who never see the option, and then haven't played much in the way of a tough schedule to this point.

I'm one of the last people to go with the "who have they played argument," but beat App or Wofford by 40 and we'll talk about the "wide margin." Right now, they are probably the best team, but I don't think the margin is substantial.

He was saying that the scores were by a wide margin, not that we are better than everyone else by a wide margin.

Damn FU education ;)

ASUG8
October 3rd, 2011, 01:50 PM
I'm begining to think knocking off App isn't as big a deal as I would like for it to be. xnonono2x I'm not diminishing the Wofford win in the least, but we're playing completely Jekyl and Hyde ball week to week. Eeking out a win against what is becoming a pretty average UTC team at home and getting dominated on both sides of the ball by Wofford has me thankful for a bye week and genuinely worried about the Citadel in Chucktown. If App can demonstrate a little continuity on both sides of the ball, shore up the offensive line and protect the pocket a bit I like our chances to finish 8-3 or 7-4. Those are big ifs however....my hope is that our coaching staff is watching a lot of film now and determining what can be done to improve the offensive game plan and defend the TO more effectively. App has always given up points, but had the ability to answer and surpass whatever was thrown at us. Now it seems we don't have that offensive firepower we've enjoyed over the last few years.

cannonballgsu
October 3rd, 2011, 01:50 PM
He was saying that the scores were by a wide margin, not that we are better than everyone else by a wide margin.

Damn FU education ;)

You would have thought I said we are the best team to ever set foot on the field in the history of FCS. haha

chattanoogamocs
October 3rd, 2011, 02:08 PM
In all honesty, El Cid is a fairly good team overall......I wouldn't consider losing to them a bad loss.

The conference top to bottom is much better this year than in previous years.

BTW...I didn't mean bad loss as a term derogatory to the Citadel...it was bad because of the lead the Mocs had...maybe a better phrase would be "monumental collapse" (because I can ever remember UTC blowing that big of a lead that quickly).

Hats off to military discipline...those guys never once thought of giving up.

ASU_Fanatic
October 3rd, 2011, 02:26 PM
Poor Western, looks like they'll be in search of a new head coach again soon...at first I thought Wagner might get it turned around. I at least wish they could become a .500 team again, would make being an App fan so much funner.

GSU_Alum08
October 3rd, 2011, 03:11 PM
I don't care about rankings. I just want us to win the SoCon. We do that, and probably have the number 1 overall seed.

Biff
October 3rd, 2011, 03:18 PM
BTW...I didn't mean bad loss as a term derogatory to the Citadel...it was bad because of the lead the Mocs had...maybe a better phrase would be "monumental collapse" (because I can ever remember UTC blowing that big of a lead that quickly).

Hats off to military discipline...those guys never once thought of giving up.

Don't know how the other Cid guys took it, but blowing a 27 point lead to me is a bad loss no matter how good or bad IMO.

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2011, 03:51 PM
You would have thought I said we are the best team to ever set foot on the field in the history of FCS. haha

Beat Alabama and we'll talk :)

GSU Eagle
October 3rd, 2011, 07:07 PM
I am beginning to think the SoCon could be a 4 team playoff league this year or 3 for sure.

Reign of Terrier
October 3rd, 2011, 07:13 PM
I am beginning to think the SoCon could be a 4 team playoff league this year or 3 for sure.
I don't know, Chattanooga has put themselves in a whole, they can't lose more than one more game and they still have Furman, GSU, and Wofford left. Furman looks good, but they can't lose more than 2 conference games. App may very well finish 7-4 or worse with their anemic offense. Wofford and GSU will have a hard time making the playoffs if they finish 7-4 as they only have 6 d1 wins if that happens. I think the Socon will have 3, maybe 4, probably not 5 unless chaos ensues. Call it arrogance, but I don't think Wofford will finish less than 8-3 this year at the worst; if we lose a game, I doubt we'll lose another

GSU_Alum08
October 3rd, 2011, 08:21 PM
I only see it being a 3 team conference. GSU, Woffy, and App. Chatty will lose to GSU and Wofford. No way they get in with 4 conference losses.

Terrierforlife
October 3rd, 2011, 08:35 PM

Samford is well coached, but they are not quite there yet. Defensively, they take no chances, but wait on you to make a mistake and capitalize. Play turnover free ball and you get the "W."

Terrierforlife
October 3rd, 2011, 08:39 PM
If App finds an offense they are certainly a top 15 team. They are still a playoff team, they get GSU at home, and I don't think any team besides Furman will beat them

What???? App. destroys Furman. No question!

Terrierforlife
October 3rd, 2011, 08:41 PM
I'll take that.

If we hold Wofford to under 21 points in JHS then I like our chances.

Good luck.

SoCon48
October 3rd, 2011, 08:47 PM
Unfortunately, App likely won't be one of them.

Terrierforlife
October 3rd, 2011, 08:48 PM

I agree with your statements to a degree. GSU has speed on offense and plays aggressive on D. They're a good team.Number #1....????????

SoCon48
October 3rd, 2011, 08:49 PM
I don't know, Chattanooga has put themselves in a whole, they can't lose more than one more game and they still have Furman, GSU, and Wofford left. Furman looks good, but they can't lose more than 2 conference games. App may very well finish 7-4 or worse with their anemic offense. Wofford and GSU will have a hard time making the playoffs if they finish 7-4 as they only have 6 d1 wins if that happens. I think the Socon will have 3, maybe 4, probably not 5 unless chaos ensues. Call it arrogance, but I don't think Wofford will finish less than 8-3 this year at the worst; if we lose a game, I doubt we'll lose another

App does NOT have a weak offense. What they have is probably the weakest offensive line in the conference..bar none.

Terrierforlife
October 3rd, 2011, 08:50 PM
I'm begining to think knocking off App isn't as big a deal as I would like for it to be. xnonono2x I'm not diminishing the Wofford win in the least, but we're playing completely Jekyl and Hyde ball week to week. Eeking out a win against what is becoming a pretty average UTC team at home and getting dominated on both sides of the ball by Wofford has me thankful for a bye week and genuinely worried about the Citadel in Chucktown. If App can demonstrate a little continuity on both sides of the ball, shore up the offensive line and protect the pocket a bit I like our chances to finish 8-3 or 7-4. Those are big ifs however....my hope is that our coaching staff is watching a lot of film now and determining what can be done to improve the offensive game plan and defend the TO more effectively. App has always given up points, but had the ability to answer and surpass whatever was thrown at us. Now it seems we don't have that offensive firepower we've enjoyed over the last few years.

App. is a good team. We (Terriers) playa style of ball that makes you look bad when we are in control of the pace. App. will win a lot of ball games this year.

PaladinNation
October 3rd, 2011, 09:46 PM
I just think we're seeing things come full circle in the SoCon.

APP had a helluva run… with a fast offense and a fast defense… so everyone except Wofford stayed true to their roots. GSU, Furman, Chatty, Elon all followed APP's lead and everyone tried some version of the spread offense.

Now we have the option back; led by Wofford, GSU, the Citadel, and in a hybrid way Furman. I watched the APP/Wofford game, APP had no chance in hell of putting a plug in the line, on both sides. So, IMO APP looked outmatched this year, and my guess is GSU will be a bad matchup for the APPS.

Lucky for us Furman fans, Bruce Fowler has started getting Furman back to our roots. Physical, discipline play on both sides of the ball, an efficient offense, with quick-strike potential, and an active, physical, hard hitting defense . Which is what it takes to compete against option teams. Furman might fall flat for the rest of the season, I have no idea what to expect… except we have the potential to matchup well against Wofford and GSU. Not saying we will win but we have coaches, and the player personnel to be competitive against the option (linebackers, corners, safeties, and a bandit are the defensive strength) plus Furman has the personnel to emulate the option.

The surprise so far has been the strength of the Furman receiving corps… blocking and receiving. I'm not sure Wofford will have as much success playing man up on Furman's receivers as they did against APP, time will tell. I really want to see what happens against GSU, and Wofford… cause I have much respect for both teams and it will tell us how far Furman has come or not. The good news is Furman appears to be on its way back.

asumike83
October 3rd, 2011, 10:12 PM
Now we have the option back; led by Wofford, GSU, the Citadel, and in a hybrid way Furman. I watched the APP/Wofford game, APP had no chance in hell of putting a plug in the line, on both sides. So, IMO APP looked outmatched this year, and my guess is GSU will be a bad matchup for the APPS.

ASU's offensive line is a very young group that is struggling, and will likely continue to struggle. Our defensive line is very solid though. As the Wofford game went on, ASU did not have a problem penetrating the line. They were in the backfield plenty, it was reading the option and staying with their assignment without over pursuing that killed them. Our defensive line was not physically over matched, they just did not have the discipline it takes to defend the Wofford offense. That is an issue I expect to improve as they see more option attacks.

Reign of Terrier
October 3rd, 2011, 10:14 PM
What???? App. destroys Furman. No question!

Right now, Furman's offense looks a lot more efficient passing-wise and they run the ball the best out of the non-option teams. And they have a very good defense to boot as well. App will be challenged and until they make offensive adjustments I think Furman is the better team right now

Reign of Terrier
October 3rd, 2011, 10:22 PM
I just think we're seeing things come full circle in the SoCon.

APP had a helluva run… with a fast offense and a fast defense… so everyone except Wofford stayed true to their roots. GSU, Furman, Chatty, Elon all followed APP's lead and everyone tried some version of the spread offense.

Lucky for us Furman fans, Bruce Fowler has started getting Furman back to our roots. Physical, discipline play on both sides of the ball, an efficient offense, with quick-strike potential, and an active, physical, hard hitting defense . Which is what it takes to compete against option teams. Furman might fall flat for the rest of the season, I have no idea what to expect… except we have the potential to matchup well against Wofford and GSU. Not saying we will win but we have coaches, and the player personnel to be competitive against the option (linebackers, corners, safeties, and a bandit are the defensive strength) plus Furman has the personnel to emulate the option.

The surprise so far has been the strength of the Furman receiving corps… blocking and receiving. I'm not sure Wofford will have as much success playing man up on Furman's receivers as they did against APP, time will tell. I really want to see what happens against GSU, and Wofford… cause I have much respect for both teams and it will tell us how far Furman has come or not. The good news is Furman appears to be on its way back.

Furman has a very physical defense, but I think GSU and Wofford matchup well against their offense. Furman is clearly a run-first team and GSU & Wofford are great at stopping the run, especially against a down hill rushing attack like Furman

ASU's offensive line is a very young group that is struggling, and will likely continue to struggle. Our defensive line is very solid though. As the Wofford game went on, ASU did not have a problem penetrating the line. They were in the backfield plenty, it was reading the option and staying with their assignment without over pursuing that killed them. Our defensive line was not physically over matched, they just did not have the discipline it takes to defend the Wofford offense. That is an issue I expect to improve as they see more option attacks.

From what I could observe, App was trying its hardest to stop the dive, they were in no good position at all to stop the pitch play as Wofford's RBs were making great blocks on the perimeter. EB and DJ bath had a great game because App was unable to tackle them on first contact, and that was huge. App has a fast, physical defense, but they could struggle against GSU as GSU has similar offensive speed and they may not be able to cover the pitch man. If they tackle better, they can shut down dive. GSU has a better passing game though

asumike83
October 3rd, 2011, 10:35 PM
From what I could observe, App was trying its hardest to stop the dive, they were in no good position at all to stop the pitch play as Wofford's RBs were making great blocks on the perimeter. EB and DJ bath had a great game because App was unable to tackle them on first contact, and that was huge.

No doubt, open-field tackling by the linebackers was a problem as well. I am hoping that having Kimbrough back in the middle against The Citadel and GSU option offenses will help out some, as he has experience against the option. The biggest key will be the development of this young D-line against that type of offense, because the physical tools are there and as soon as the discipline catches up, they will be a force.

youwouldno
October 3rd, 2011, 10:38 PM
Furman has a very physical defense, but I think GSU and Wofford matchup well against their offense. Furman is clearly a run-first team and GSU & Wofford are great at stopping the run, especially against a down hill rushing attack like Furman

Citadel's defense has actually been good against the run (and in general), and the Paladins had a solid 215 net yards and decent 4.1 yard average against them. Having said that, I basically agree with your point and think it will be up to Forcier to make plays and prevent defenses from focusing everything on Williams.

woffordgrad94
October 4th, 2011, 02:59 AM
1. Georgia Southern: Will be #1 until they lose, as I think that they are the most well-rounded team in the conference
2: Wofford: TOO MANY PENALTIES AND TOO MANY STRUGGLES ON KICKOFF COVERAGE TO DESERVE A #1!!!!! People may have us ranked high, but we have work to do to become a true championship contender.
3: Furman: They impress me more each week
4: Appalachian State: This team really has issues on the lines... overall the weakest ASU team in quite some time
5. Samford: That's right...this team is tougher than many people think they are- they could make a big statement this week with a win at Furman.
6 (tie) Chattanooga: Free-fallin'...have shown they are not ready for prime time
6. (tie) The Citadel: I am man enough to admit that I was wrong about the Bellhops...they are a much improved team and Wofford better be ready Saturday.
6. (tie) Elon: In need of some more offense
9: Western Carolina: In need of a lot more defense

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2011, 06:57 AM
App does NOT have a weak offense. What they have is probably the weakest offensive line in the conference..bar none.

What's the difference?

SoCon48
October 4th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Obviously, I was saying that the problem is not in the O's backfield rather it's problem is the OL. With even an average OL, the backfield would be shining.i
'

SoCon48
October 4th, 2011, 07:45 AM
1. Georgia Southern: Will be #1 until they lose, as I think that they are the most well-rounded team in the conference
2: Wofford: TOO MANY PENALTIES AND TOO MANY STRUGGLES ON KICKOFF COVERAGE TO DESERVE A #1!!!!! People may have us ranked high, but we have work to do to become a true championship contender.
3: Furman: They impress me more each week
4: Appalachian State: This team really has issues on the lines... overall the weakest ASU team in quite some time
5. Samford: That's right...this team is tougher than many people think they are- they could make a big statement this week with a win at Furman.
6 (tie) Chattanooga: Free-fallin'...have shown they are not ready for prime time
6. (tie) The Citadel: I am man enough to admit that I was wrong about the Bellhops...they are a much improved team and Wofford better be ready Saturday.
6. (tie) Elon: In need of some more offense
9: Western Carolina: In need of a lot more defense

Good, tactful post.

LarryBoy
October 4th, 2011, 07:48 AM
To my fellow Paladin fans: temper your expectations.

The last two weeks, we've looked solid. Really, really solid. Chris Forcier has put on a QB efficiency clinic, the O-Line has parted the Red Sea for Jerodis Williams, and the first team D has been downright stingy.

However– and I mean no disrespect to PC and Western– we were supposed to run all over these guys. Even as a middling SoCon team, we were heavy favorites in these games. After 4 weeks, there are still a lot of unanswered questions about the Paladins.

Against CCU and The Citadel, many of the faithful would say we underperformed. However, our offensive game plan was very vanilla (very few passes, lots of straight handoffs). Was that a matter of Fowler and company coming in and establishing from the get-go "We're Furman and we run the football"? Or was the confidence level not high enough to take the training wheels off of the offense? If so, it makes sense that we've eased in to opening things up against PC and Western, two (at least perceived) lesser opponents.

So, I'm not ready to move Furman up the list quite yet. When the offense is running at full power (which I think we're close to) and goes up against elite competition, we'll see how things shake out. The next 5 weeks– Samford, Georgia Southern, Wofford, Chattanooga, App. State– will be very telling... we'll see just how far Coach Fowler has brought the team along in this short amount of time. If things don't go perfectly (which they won't), I hope Furman fans will be patient.

FurmanWins!!
October 4th, 2011, 09:26 AM
FU vs. WCU Highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmTMsCbCSNQ

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2011, 09:32 AM

The last two weeks, we've looked solid. Really, really solid. Chris Forcier has put on a QB efficiency clinic, the O-Line has parted the Red Sea for Jerodis Williams, and the first team D has been downright stingy.

However– and I mean no disrespect to PC and Western– we were supposed to run all over these guys. Even as a middling SoCon team, we were heavy favorites in these games. After 4 weeks, there are still a lot of unanswered questions about the Paladins.

Against CCU and The Citadel, many of the faithful would say we underperformed. However, our offensive game plan was very vanilla (very few passes, lots of straight handoffs). Was that a matter of Fowler and company coming in and establishing from the get-go "We're Furman and we run the football"? Or was the confidence level not high enough to take the training wheels off of the offense? If so, it makes sense that we've eased in to opening things up against PC and Western, two (at least perceived) lesser opponents.

So, I'm not ready to move Furman up the list quite yet. When the offense is running at full power (which I think we're close to) and goes up against elite competition, we'll see how things shake out. The next 5 weeks– Samford, Georgia Southern, Wofford, Chattanooga, App. State– will be very telling... we'll see just how far Coach Fowler has brought the team along in this short amount of time. If things don't go perfectly (which they won't), I hope Furman fans will be patient.

Forcier's performance is unsustainable. Not even Ingle Martin put together a string of games like that.

I think it's good to see a little excitement around the program again. This team is not as talented as some of the past teams, but if you force turnovers, run the ball, and take care of your possession, you'll be tough to beat.

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Obviously, I was saying that the problem is not in the O's backfield rather it's problem is the OL. With even an average OL, the backfield would be shining.i
'

It was mentioned earlier by youngterrier, but you maybe are starting to see the fruits of App State's poor recruitment of offensive linement from a few years ago. There was maybe back to back years where App loaded up on athletic reciver/QB hybrids, but lost out on a few OL commits to conference rivals.

I'm not sure it is just the OL though. At some point the coach has to say "hey, we don't have the personnell to run the offense the way we normally run it." Remember when Georgia Southern ran an offense that was basically Jayson Foster running around the end every play out of the shotgun? They knew they had a great athlete at QB, but lacked recievers and a line. So they just put it on Foster's shoulders to get yards.

OL FU
October 4th, 2011, 10:08 AM

Samford will be a good measuring stick. A good team with a not so good record mainly because they played the top two teams in the league. I think we win ( at least I hope we do) but I think it will probably bring us back to earth a little.

eaglewraith
October 4th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Remember when Georgia Southern ran an offense that was basically Jayson Foster running around the end every play out of the shotgun? They knew they had a great athlete at QB, but lacked recievers and a line. So they just put it on Foster's shoulders to get yards.

Actually we had a fantastic OL that year. The RB that year was just shy of 1000 yards on the season for himself to go along with the eleventy billion that Foster had. He was just overshadowed by Jayson's performance. Our biggest problem that year was defense and injuries. The offense was actually pretty good, and not just because of the Jayson Foster show.

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Actually we had a fantastic OL that year. The RB that year was just shy of 1000 yards on the season for himself to go along with the eleventy billion that Foster had. He was just overshadowed by Jayson's performance. Our biggest problem that year was defense and injuries. The offense was actually pretty good, and not just because of the Jayson Foster show.

Not saying the offense wasn't good. But you didn't have to be a Rhodes Scholar to figure out what Georgia Southern was trying to do.

My point is that GSU played to their strengths. Their strength was not letting Foster sit under center and try to force throws to covered receivers.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 4th, 2011, 07:11 PM
First of all, thanks to GSU Eagle for starting this thread during my absence. I went 3-2 last week with an overall record of 25-4. The Citadel's upset of Chattanooga would rank in terms of upsets last week with Norfolk State over S. C. State as well as a MAC-bound UMass program losing to CAA rookie (third year overall) Old Dominion. Here is where I rank them as of this week.

1) Wofford - No offense to GSU, but Wofford's body of work lands them here.
2) Georgia Southern - Ended Elon's lucky streak.
3) Appalachian State - Has a lot of work to do but has plenty of time to heal.
4) Furman - Forcier's showing me something.
5) The Citadel - Rode the train to Comeback City.
6) Chattanooga - Somewhere in Moc Nation, chattownmocs is putting together a Downfall parody regarding Chattanooga's loss to The Citadel.
7) Elon - What can I say?
8) Samford - At least they have two wins.
9) Western Carolina - Is Dennis Wagner's stint on life support? We'll find out soon enough.