PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh (4-1) at Bucknell (4-1) !

ngineer
October 1st, 2011, 07:59 PM
Whodathunkit back in August? Christy Matthewson Stadium being the site of a big, meaningful PL game on October 8?! Bison have gotten their legs under them with their new coach and becoming a thundering herd. When was the last time Bucknell opened 4-1--1996? Lehigh players better not feel too good about their dismantling of Yale and think they're going to have a cakewalk in Lewisburg. Hopefully good weather and a decent crowd, for once, at CMS.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 3rd, 2011, 09:18 PM
Who'd a thunk that this would be a battle of 4-1 teams?

JMUNJ08
October 3rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
I have been waiting to see if Bucknell has truly turned the corner or if they are a mirage when I rank my Top 25. Should be a good one!

Ivytalk
October 3rd, 2011, 09:54 PM
And when was the last time that Bucknell beat Lehigh?

Bogus Megapardus
October 3rd, 2011, 09:57 PM
And when was the last time that Bucknell beat Lehigh?

Go...gate
October 3rd, 2011, 09:57 PM
Last time Bucknell opened this well was 1997, when they were defending PL Champions and won their first ten.

Go...gate
October 3rd, 2011, 09:58 PM
Bucknell has pulled some surprises on the Engineers in the past.

Ivytalk
October 3rd, 2011, 10:01 PM

Oy! Bucknell gave Harvard its only defeat that year!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 3rd, 2011, 10:16 PM
Scores since 1997, some serious domination....

1998 LU 49 BU 7
1999 LU 48 BU 27
2000 LU 21 BU 14
2001 LU 21 BU 14
2002 LU 24 BU 0
2003 LU 45 BU 9
2004 LU 40 BU 17
2005 LU 42 BU 10
2006 LU 38 BU 7
2007 LU 38 BU 10
2008 LU 31 BU 15
2009 LU 35 BU 16
2010 LU 32 BU 10

Bogus Megapardus
October 3rd, 2011, 10:17 PM
since 1997, some serious domination....

Good then. You're due. xcoffeex

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 3rd, 2011, 10:19 PM

Lehigh is 21-2 against Fordham, gues who's after the Bison....hmm....

Pard4Life
October 3rd, 2011, 10:20 PM
No worries it will be a Lehigh cakewalk in Lewisburg.

Bogus Megapardus
October 3rd, 2011, 10:23 PM
Lehigh is 21-2 against Fordham, guess who's after the Bison....hmm....

Fordham doesn't count. If the Rams lose they'll just blame in on that Epidemic Windex thingy (or whatever you call it) and move on to play some real football against Assumption College.

ngineer
October 3rd, 2011, 11:01 PM

I didn't know he was pregnant.

Interesting to note that of the last 13 games, only the 2000 and 2001 were close. From what I have heard of Bucknell, they are pretty stout against the run, interiorly. Will be interesting to see how Cecchini plans to run the ball to open up the passing game. Run game for LU this year is improved, but still not where we'd like it. We had a tough time on the ground against Yale. At the same time, our D had improved significantly over the past two weeks. I still would expect us to score over 30. Bison have some threats, so I expect them to put some points on the board, but not nearly enough.

lydiabixby
October 4th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Sorry Bison, but Lehigh is very good and deserve their top 10 poll position.

Excellent Head Coach.

They go over the ground and through the air. I expect them to win the Patriot League and advance in the play offs.

CFBfan
October 4th, 2011, 07:39 AM
No worries it will be a Lehigh cakewalk in Lewisburg.

agreed, GTown came out VERY flat last week and BU was sky high. In the 2nd half the GU defense pretty much shut down BU but for a big pass play.
LU will dominate this one

RichH2
October 4th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Nice to see Bison opening up so well. They are getting better. BUT, they made their hay vs a very very weak cast of characters. Heck , they lost to Cornell whom Yale trounced and who we in turn trounced. DL very good and qb and rbs are good. No depth whatsoever BU OL overmatched vs LU front 7. Imagine they can keep it respectable for a while but LU will pull away. One caveat is LU cannot overlook Bison. We are not that good that we can win a game just by throwing our helmets on the field

Pard4Life
October 4th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Look on the bright side... this is the first meaningful football game in Lewisburg since Lafayette or Colgate in 2004. Finally, somebody more talented than Lewisburg HS plays at Christy.

andy7171
October 4th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I gave my #25 spot to the Bison. I'm happy for their 4-1 start. I'd bet on Lehigh, but I'm rooting for Bucky!

crusader11
October 4th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I gave my #25 spot to the Bison. I'm happy for their 4-1 start. I'd bet on Lehigh, but I'm rooting for Bucky!

You rank Bucknell over Holy Cross?

Ivytalk
October 4th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I didn't know he was pregnant.

Interesting to note that of the last 13 games, only the 2000 and 2001 were close. From what I have heard of Bucknell, they are pretty stout against the run, interiorly. Will be interesting to see how Cecchini plans to run the ball to open up the passing game. Run game for LU this year is improved, but still not where we'd like it. We had a tough time on the ground against Yale. At the same time, our D had improved significantly over the past two weeks. I still would expect us to score over 30. Bison have some threats, so I expect them to put some points on the board, but not nearly enough.

Soften them up for us, will ya, ng? Harvard plays the Buffs the following week.

Southsider
October 4th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Nice to see Bison opening up so well. They are getting better. BUT, they made their hay vs a very very weak cast of characters. Heck , they lost to Cornell whom Yale trounced and who we in turn trounced. DL very good and qb and rbs are good. No depth whatsoever BU OL overmatched vs LU front 7. Imagine they can keep it respectable for a while but LU will pull away. One caveat is LU cannot overlook Bison. We are not that good that we can win a game just by throwing our helmets on the field

You are soooo right, Rich. However, I think this team has just the right mindset. Thus, I don't think overconfidence will be an issue for this game, or any other for that matter.
\

Bogus Megapardus
October 4th, 2011, 09:46 AM
This is first year in a while that I'm not looking forward to the Bucknell respite. The Pards now have zero statistically winnable games on the schedule. While I'd be shocked to see Bucknell pull of a victory over the Asa Packers, stranger things have happened (i.e. the 2009 win over Holy Cross).

ngineer
October 4th, 2011, 11:16 AM
You are soooo right, Rich. However, I think this team has just the right mindset. Thus, I don't think overconfidence will be an issue for this game, or any other for that matter.
\

This team has a lot of senior leadership, so I don't see them losing their focus. They are very hungry after the taste of playoffs last year.

ngineer
October 4th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Soften them up for us, will ya, ng? Harvard plays the Buffs the following week.

Will do what we can. Pretty late in the season for an OOC? At "The Yard"? If so, I don't think you'll have much trouble.

RichH2
October 4th, 2011, 12:43 PM
really other than a possible slump day, do not expect too much from Bison. DL could be the best in PL but Susan needs a few more good classes to build depth of which he has little now. Since I go back to the Middle 5, when Bucknell used to regularly light us up, I dont feel too sympathetic over last 20 yrs of us dominating. Having said that I am glad that Susan is resurrecting the program. BU was always a game I looked forward to as a good contest.

Ivytalk
October 4th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Will do what we can. Pretty late in the season for an OOC? At "The Yard"? If so, I don't think you'll have much trouble.

Yup, at The Yard. We often have an OOC 5th game. Then the last 5 are in-conference.

Fordham
October 4th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Nothing more fun than having your team dramatically exceed expectations. Gotta be fun for the Bison this year. Felt like that in '07 for us. Been a while ... Hope they enjoy it.

ngineer
October 4th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Bucknell might actually have more fans in their stands than Lehigh this time. Last several trips to Christy Matthewson, the Lehigh side outnumbered the home stand. Doubt they scheduled us for homecoming, but maybe a parents' weekend.

bison137
October 5th, 2011, 02:45 PM
agreed, GTown came out VERY flat last week and BU was sky high. In the 2nd half the GU defense pretty much shut down BU but for a big pass play.
LU will dominate this one

I don't know that the GU defense shut down BU in the second half. With the 21-point lead, BU went with a very plain vanilla running attack but still was able to run for 71 yards on 20 carries in the half - with the GU defense very much playing for the run. BU tried no downfield passes in the 3rd quarter - against the wind - but then completed a 55 yard TD pass on the first play of the 4th quarter. Then just tried to play no-mistake football once they had a three-score lead.

Unfortunately I agree that LU may dominate the upcoming game.

bison137
October 5th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Bucknell might actually have more fans in their stands than Lehigh this time. Last several trips to Christy Matthewson, the Lehigh side outnumbered the home stand. Doubt they scheduled us for homecoming, but maybe a parents' weekend.

Nope, not parents' weekend - which is always scheduled now for late September - and not homecoming, which is Holy Cross.

bison137
October 5th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Look on the bright side... this is the first meaningful football game in Lewisburg since Lafayette or Colgate in 2004. Finally, somebody more talented than Lewisburg HS plays at Christy.

Just for the record, the Colgate score that year was BU 42, CU 7. :)

The one-point loss to LC that year cost BU a share of the title. As I'm sure you remember, LC blocked a midrange FG on the game's final play and then ended up tackling the BU kicker a yard short of the winning TD. If only we had a FG kicker with some speed!

ngineer
October 5th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Just for the record, the Colgate score that year was BU 42, CU 7. :)

The one-point loss to LC that year cost BU a share of the title. As I'm sure you remember, LC blocked a midrange FG on the game's final play and then ended up tackling the BU kicker a yard short of the winning TD. If only we had a FG kicker with some speed!

I remember watching that game on TV live. It was a very exciting and unexpected ending. A "classic".

Go...gate
October 5th, 2011, 11:03 PM

Easy to forget that Bucknell was pretty damn good in the mid 1990's...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Bucknell preview and Yale Highlights

http://www.lehighsports.com/videos/10-lehigh-vs-bucknell-preview.aspx

Doc QB
October 6th, 2011, 07:31 AM
My new bride surprised me with a weekend getaway to...wait for it...LEWISBURG! Set up evening in B&B on Market street, knowing full well (lucky for me) I wanted to see the game. Driving up from Baltimore Friday night, so, any of you Bucknell folks out there have a place for good eats that I can treat her to, given, that her Saturday will be spent at the game? My only other time up there was when I played in early 90's, and was in hotel who knows where and did not see any of the town. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

crusader11
October 6th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I remember Elizabeth's on Market Street being a great place. Food was really fresh and good...a bit pricey though.

Doc QB
October 6th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I remember Elizabeth's on Market Street being a great place. Food was really fresh and good...a bit pricey though.

thx...maybe the higher sticker price will stave off the undergrads and develop marital goodwill, given she will need to endure me and an awesome fall saturday watching football.

ngineer
October 6th, 2011, 08:12 AM
thx...maybe the higher sticker price will stave off the undergrads and develop marital goodwill, given she will need to endure me and an awesome fall saturday watching football.

My daughter went to Bucknell, so I spent some time and coin in the environs of Lewisburg. Elizabeth's is very good from my recall. Also, the Lewisburg Hotel was very nice and 'quaint'.

RichH2
October 6th, 2011, 08:55 AM
. Elizabeth's vey pleasant with good food

Pard4Life
October 6th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I remember watching that game on TV live. It was a very exciting and unexpected ending. A "classic".

Can't forget that game... blocked kick landed right in front of the kicker! I think it was Korn. I've never gone from celebrating to dropped jaw faster when he started running down the sideline. One of the Murphy twins saved the day!

That was BU's last good football team.

Bogus Megapardus
October 6th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Sunny with a high of 76 degrees Saturday. A perfect day for a nice turnout in Lewisburg.

bison137
October 6th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Sunny with a high of 76 degrees Saturday. A perfect day for a nice turnout in Lewisburg.

Any turnout unfortunately won't include any students. I just realized that this weekend is BU's fall break.

colorless raider
October 6th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Any turnout unfortunately won't include any students. I just realized that this weekend is BU's fall break.

That is pathetic. Some kind of administration support for the team!

Doc QB
October 6th, 2011, 12:17 PM

Would they EVER do that on a home basketball weekend (X-mas/New Years break excluded)???? Doubt it very much. Poor form by administration, really.

RichH2
October 6th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I am probably ignorant but what is a "fall break". I fondly recall spring breaks. Kids have only been ib school for a little oer a month. A break from what? The only break I ever had was Houseparty weekend, most profs cancelled their Sat classes. Guess I'm just an old fogie.Dont Bison get Thanksgiving?

Franks Tanks
October 6th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I am probably ignorant but what is a "fall break". I fondly recall spring breaks. Kids have only been ib school for a little oer a month. A break from what? The only break I ever had was Houseparty weekend, most profs cancelled their Sat classes. Guess I'm just an old fogie.Dont Bison get Thanksgiving?

Virtually every college in America has fall break for Monday and Tuesday of Columbus day weekend. Students typically blow off Friday, and sometimes Thursday classes as well.

We have gone from Saturday classes to fall break in a generation.

Bogus Megapardus
October 6th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Virtually every college in American has fall break for Monday and Tuesday of Columbus day weekend. Students typically blow off Friday, and sometimes Thursday classes as well.

We still had Saturday labs in the 80s. I suppose they're gone now as well.

bison137
October 6th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Would they EVER do that on a home basketball weekend (X-mas/New Years break excluded)???? Doubt it very much. Poor form by administration, really.

Not poor form, since the administration doesn't control when the football games are. Fall break is always the same weekend - and is now common at most schools. Holy Cross even has a fall break that runs nine days.

Students are not going to be on campus then - just as they won't be on campus for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Spring Break, etc - and that is a fact of life.

Doc QB
October 6th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I actually recall a prior forum/thread about this exact issue, and it involved having parents weekend or some other "come back to campus family/friends/alumni" on an away football weekend. I may have mistakenly remembered it as Bucknell and it clouded my judgement and prior comments. Was it 'Pardville? When I was at Lehigh, I remember coming home from away games at Northeastern one year to an empty fall break campus and UConn as well. Agreed, someone I guess HAS to have an away game on fall break.

However, I have four really great Bucknellian friends, who did concur, that weekend University-wide events would almost certainly never be held on away basketball weekends (whatever those wintertime events may be). So I guess my point may remain the same, somewhat, in that hoops is in many minds treated differently than pigskin in Lewisburg.

I'm going to game either way, and appreciate the Elizabeth's rec's for Friday evening dinner.

RichH2
October 6th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Geez, fall break and no Saturday classes. I feel like the Grandpa telling his grandkids about walking uphill to class both ways and fighting off the dinosaurs on the way. Throw in finals before Christmas and it just seems too easy. Oh well the bane of being a crotchety old fart.

Franks Tanks
October 6th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Geez, fall break and no Saturday classes. I feel like the Grandpa telling his grandkids about walking uphill to class both ways and fighting off the dinosaurs on the way. Throw in finals before Christmas and it just seems too easy. Oh well the bane of being a crotchety old fart.

That does seem possible at Lehigh.

RichH2
October 6th, 2011, 01:41 PM
:D:D
That does seem possible at Lehigh.xnodx

All to true. Thanks for the chuckle.

bison137
October 6th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I actually recall a prior forum/thread about this exact issue, and it involved having parents weekend or some other "come back to campus family/friends/alumni" on an away football weekend. I may have mistakenly remembered it as Bucknell and it clouded my judgement and prior comments. Was it 'Pardville? When I was at Lehigh, I remember coming home from away games at Northeastern one year to an empty fall break campus and UConn as well. Agreed, someone I guess HAS to have an away game on fall break.

However, I have four really great Bucknellian friends, who did concur, that weekend University-wide events would almost certainly never be held on away basketball weekends (whatever those wintertime events may be). So I guess my point may remain the same, somewhat, in that hoops is in many minds treated differently than pigskin in Lewisburg.

1. You're comparing apples to oranges since there are no true "university-wide events" in the winter.

2. Family weekend has recently been locked into the weekend falling around September 24th - halfway between the date that freshmen start school and Fall Break - by overwhelming request of parents. Thus there occasionally will be a family weekend that does not have a football game since Bucknell cannot fully control when it has home games.

3. As far as the original point goes, since every PL team has a fall break at the same time - as well as most Ivy's - some schools will inevitably have a home football game every year on fall break.

4. There has never been a Homecoming weekend without a football game - since Bucknell has much more control over the timing of Homecoming.

5. There is no question that hoops is thought of differently at Bucknell since it has been much more successful than football. In fact, Bucknell has not only had the most successful Patriot League basketball program, but its basketball program has been more successful than any PL football program.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 6th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I have no scientific basis for this, but it seems like an awful lot of these "break" weekends fall on home football games. And sometimes I wonder if it isn't planned beforehand.

For example, Villanova has a popular "volunteer day" taking place around the Nova campus - perfect time for a football game, right? Parents and students are on the hook to be on campus, so why not take in a game as a part of the weekend? Instead, though, they play at Lehigh - screwing over both schools, meaning that the parents and students don't travel to Bethlehem.

What does it take to push Nova's volunteer day a week later? Not much - matter of fact, the previous year's "Volunteer Day" took place during a weekday, making it seem like scheduling of that day was reasonably flexible. Why not move it a week forward, to Nova/Penn, a home game?

It could be just lack of communication, or lack of interest. It could be, simply, "uncool" to schedule events around football games in the Northeast. But again, I wonder how much of it is really on purpose.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 6th, 2011, 05:45 PM
My game preview is up:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/10/game-preview-lehigh-at-bucknell-1082011.html

Turnovers, and time of possession.

ngineer
October 6th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Lehigh has had their share of good sporting events scheduled while students were away on fall or spring breaks. While some cannot be avoided, it just seems a better effort COULD be made at avoiding that occurence. It's just not a priority. So I guess Lehigh will have more in the stands, again...Even if those in administration show up!(;-)

Pard4Life
October 6th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Lafayette held homecoming on a non-football weekend in 2007. They then held the Marquis Dinner (the high donor dinner usually held on homecoming) the next weekend when there was a home game. The dinner theme was the dedication of the new facilities. Fools...

Go...gate
October 6th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Virtually every college in America has fall break for Monday and Tuesday of Columbus day weekend. Students typically blow off Friday, and sometimes Thursday classes as well.

One thing about Colgate in my day was that the faculty followed and supported the team and you were certain, even with Saturday classes, to get out in plenty of time for the (rare) home game, at which you would usually see the prof, often with his or her spouse. We worked very hard but we played hard, too. Those were good days.

Sader87
October 6th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Fall Break??? Jesus we are all getting soft....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2011, 10:32 PM

Seriously, even the Harvard of North Broad doesn't have Fall Break......

ngineer
October 6th, 2011, 11:34 PM
I remember we got a four-day weekend in November for the presidential election in 1972...of course I took off for my girlfriend in D.C. Don't recall any breaks of anything like they have today.

LUHawker
October 7th, 2011, 08:22 AM
My game preview is up:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/10/game-preview-lehigh-at-bucknell-1082011.html

Turnovers, and time of possession.

Come on LFN, you think the Bison are going to put up 24 points! While you've got a healthy final score spread, you are a nervous Nelly this year. Yes, Bucknell has improved and is a (surprising?) 4-1, but Lehigh should really crush the Bison - if they don't then maybe we are not as good as advertised. Seriously, Bucknell has wins over those powerhouses of Marist, Duquense, G'town and Princeton with a loss to middling Cornell. No way in Heck that Lehigh shouldn't win this one.

I've had enough Lehigh football-induced heartbreak in my life to be wary of looking past an opponent and not wanting to be over-confident, but this team is simply much better than the Bison.

bison137
October 7th, 2011, 08:36 AM

And Holy Cross much softer than the rest - taking a full week off of classes for Fall Break.

bison137
October 7th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Lehigh has had their share of good sporting events scheduled while students were away on fall or spring breaks. While some cannot be avoided, it just seems a better effort COULD be made at avoiding that occurence. It's just not a priority. So I guess Lehigh will have more in the stands, again...Even if those in administration show up!(;-)

BTW, Lehigh has a home football game next year during their Fall Break. Not even a PL game but rather an ooc game which they have somewhat more control of.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2011, 09:48 AM
BTW, Lehigh has a home football game next year during their Fall Break. Not even a PL game but rather an ooc game which they have somewhat more control of.

Last year, Lehigh had Fordham at home during their fall break - technically still a PL opponent.

To be fair, I kind of agree with ng on this one. Sometimes, it can't be avoided - but the school could do a bit of a better job with avoiding it, and making the football games a tiny bit more of a part of the fabric of the school. And it's the school that has to make the effort - Lehigh's 2012 football schedule is pretty much all set at this point, so what does it take for one administrator to look at the future FB schedule in order to plan the calendar for the 2012-2013 schedule a year out?

This definitely seems to be more of a Northern thing. Go south of the Mason/Dixon line, and you see schools planning all sorts of things for their schools - elaborate homecomings, parades, etc. I'd bet those admins look at the football schedule...

bison137
October 7th, 2011, 09:55 AM
When half the teams by definition have to have a home game on Fall Break every year, how does a school avoid it?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2011, 10:05 AM
When half the teams by definition have to have a home game on Fall Break every year, how does a school avoid it?

* Two teams could have their bye weeks on that weekend.
* Are all the PL schools on a semester schedule? If one or more is on a trimester schedule (I thought Holy Cross was, but I'm not sure), then their fall break would be different.

(Incidentally - during one of my fall breaks at Lehigh as an undergrad, I know for sure Lehigh had an away game. I visited a friend of mine at MIT, then excused myself for three hours when I went to see Lehigh pound Harvard! :) )

RichH2
October 7th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Scheduling around "fall breaks" nigh on impossible with any certainty, only way to solve the issue is to have everyone have a BYE wekend during the break. There I am channeling my inner MplsBison..
Still cannot get my head around "fall breaks". I envy students now with finals before Christmas and a longer vacation. A great thing to my mind but these breaks just seem over the top. Anyway enuf of that.
LFN agree with your spread on Bucknell but dont think Bison will score that much . Bison D will keep the score down until they wear out. then LU will score often and quickly. Bu plays a Rover D 4-2-5 relies on their DL to control line of scrimmage. Tougher D to pass on but very susceptible to sweeps and flat passes. Barket may get 10 again this week

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2011, 10:29 AM
My big "nervous Nelly" issue with the Hawks is the way they gave away the football last weekend vs. Yale. Against the Eli, it didn't hurt because their offense gave the ball right back. But if Lehigh does that against Bucknell, it will be a problem. That is precisely why they are 4-1.

van
October 7th, 2011, 02:01 PM
My big "nervous Nelly" issue with the Hawks is the way they gave away the football last weekend vs. Yale. Against the Eli, it didn't hurt because their offense gave the ball right back. But if Lehigh does that against Bucknell, it will be a problem. That is precisely why they are 4-1.

I'm with you LFN. Still waiting for a clean game from the engineers. Get rid of the dumb stuff and we are a pretty darn good team.

crusader11
October 7th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Lehigh wins and covers. The best offense Bucknell has faced this year has been Duquesne. While their defense is stout with Eden and De La Rosa up front, they haven't seen an aerial attack like Lehigh's yet.

RichH2
October 8th, 2011, 08:13 AM
OK, we have delved into all of Lehigh's weaknesses, mistakes being #1 to my mind. Limit those and its a walkover game. Not and its another hairpuller.

Other than a weak schedule what are Bison weaknesses?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2011, 08:21 AM
OK, we have delved into all of Lehigh's weaknesses, mistakes being #1 to my mind. Limit those and its a walkover game. Not and its another hairpuller.

Other than a weak schedule what are Bison weaknesses?

Everything for the Bison has fed off of themselves - offense time of possession leads to a fresh, disruptive defense, which puts the ball back in the hands of the offense. Despite the experience, the offense is still young and might be prone to mistakes if Lehigh's defense is up to the challenge.

Pass defense is the other possible issue. How can they handle Lehigh's receivers, which I have to believe are the best they've seen all year?

Pard4Life
October 8th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Stop worrying... this game will be over by the second quarter.

Dblue
October 8th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Lehigh at Bucknell streamed today. No ads, no crapware downloads.
http://pizzatv.yolasite.com/

Bogus Megapardus
October 8th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Lehigh driving with the opening KO. Lehigh is a very good team.

Bogus Megapardus
October 8th, 2011, 12:11 PM
3-0 Lehigh 11:00 1Q

Bogus Megapardus
October 8th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Bucknell OL collapses with a 3 man Lehigh rush.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Lehigh 10, Bucknell 0, 14:55 left, 2nd. Bucknell's offense absolutely getting dominated early by Lehigh.

I think Lehigh has 3 sacks already, or at least 3 tackles for loss.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Now Lehigh 17, Bucknell 0. Maybe my nervousness about this game was entirely unwarranted.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2011, 12:59 PM
4:23 left in the 2nd qtr
Lehigh - 17
Bucknell - 0

Lehigh QB Lum
17/21 204 yards passing
2 TD passing

0 Turnovers, you forgot to mention. A big aspect of this game.

Bogus Megapardus
October 8th, 2011, 12:59 PM
On the other hand, Bucknell still has world-class shrubberies.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2011, 01:00 PM
On the other hand, Bucknell still has world-class shrubberies.

xlolx Yes, and their punter isn't bad, either.

Bogus Megapardus
October 8th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Chris Lum looks like a Pro QB, really.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Bucknell converts on a 43 yard FG, mocking Lehigh's special teams unit. Lehigh 23, Bucknell 3, 9 secs left, 2Q.

van
October 8th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Really enjoying the Bison announcers, even down 23 - 0, they can get excited over the smallest things.

Tribal
October 8th, 2011, 01:20 PM
What do you mean "mocking?" (serious question as I can't watch the game)

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2011, 01:21 PM
And it's halftime. Lehigh's "D" the story here, though Bucknell has held Lehigh to something like 0 yards rushing. Bucknell gets the ball first in the second half - if they can stuff them to a 3-and-out, that will be big.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2011, 01:23 PM
What do you mean "mocking?" (serious question as I can't watch the game)

I mean Lehigh's kicking unit has really struggled, while Bucknell's FG kicker converted a 43 yard FG. We struggle with extra points, they convert NFL-level FGs. That's what I mean by mocking. :)

The Historian
October 8th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Lum throws his expected interception

at end of first half

Lehigh - 23
Bucknell - 3

Lehigh QB Lum
20/26
247 yards passing
3 TD's

someone find some duck tape for the obnoxious Bucknell announcer

Just hit the mute button, that is what I did.

LehighU11
October 8th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Really enjoying the Bison announcers, even down 23 - 0, they can get excited over the smallest things.

You'd think they won the Patriot League title following the blocked PAT and the field goal.

van
October 8th, 2011, 01:31 PM
When was the last time they had a winning season? Guess you gotta take enjoyment where you can find it, no matter how small.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2011, 01:45 PM
How many sacks is that now for Lehigh? Six? Seven?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Ho-hum, another Lum-to-Spadola TD. Lehigh 30, Bucknell 3.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 8th, 2011, 02:45 PM
That was a controlled mauling. I think lehigh took mercy on bucknell in the second half.

ngineer
October 8th, 2011, 08:15 PM
That was a controlled mauling. I think lehigh took mercy on bucknell in the second half.

Yes, I was there (for the second half due to a horrendous 20 mile backup on I-80 for bridge construction at the East Branch of the Susquehanna near Berwick. A word to the wise for anyone travelling westward on I-80.

Lehigh played second string entire fourth quarter. Coen really took his gas off the pedal trying to establish some kind of run game. Bucknell very stout with run defense, but Lum had a field day passing. No sign of any letdown or 'overlooking' the opposition. Hope it continues for next week at Fordham.

Pard4Life
October 8th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Lum better not win any awards... same old Bucknell.

ngineer
October 8th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Lum better not win any awards... same old Bucknell.

30-37-1-4-368 yards in only three quarters...Who had a better day? He was sacked twice, but overall the OL did a pretty good job of protection. Center, Jim Liebler went down. No word yet on how serious, but Keith Schauder stepped in from his guard position and didn't miss a beat.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2011, 10:58 AM
My recap of the game:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/10/lehigh-30-bucknell-6-final.html

Lehigh got 12 tackles for loss, and - count 'em - 11 sacks.

Pard4Life
October 9th, 2011, 11:02 AM
My recap of the game:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/10/lehigh-30-bucknell-6-final.html

Lehigh got 12 tackles for loss, and - count 'em - 11 sacks.

Newsflash: you played Bucknell. Do you also believe in participation trophies for all?

ngineer
October 9th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Newsflash: you played Bucknell. Do you also believe in participation trophies for all?

Well, we did what we were supposed to do. Beat, what everyone was calling an "up and coming" program. The feared "letdown" of playing a team we had beaten 13 straight years never materialized. Sorry, we didn't play Oklahoma, but we took care of business in a dominating fashion. How did the 'pards do with Bye?

van
October 9th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Well, we did what we were supposed to do. Beat, what everyone was calling an "up and coming" program. The feared "letdown" of playing a team we had beaten 13 straight years never materialized. Sorry, we didn't play Oklahoma, but we took care of business in a dominating fashion. How did the 'pards do with Bye?

Pards went up in smoke and dominated the bye.

heath
October 9th, 2011, 12:57 PM
very good win,beat the spread against what many thought was a up and coming team.Your QB had great #'s again.xthumbsupx

RichH2
October 9th, 2011, 01:16 PM
A good win and D dominated most of Bu's yards and 2nd FG after Coen cleared the bench. About time D stood up. Cleanest game we've played. STs still need polishing. BU's Dline as advertised , very good . Rest of the team is a work in progress lots of underclassmen. Give Susan 2 more recruit classes and BU will be a top tier team again.

Bogus Megapardus
October 9th, 2011, 02:18 PM
The Engineers are on their way to an outstanding, winning season.

In keeping with Lehigh tradition, it's an excellent time to fire the head coach.

Southsider
October 9th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Yes. And due to the "controlled mauling", as an earlier poster mentioned, every LU player will get one for participating! Something the Lafayette bench will not experience this year...........

van
October 9th, 2011, 05:57 PM
The Engineers are on their way to an outstanding, winning season.

In keeping with Lehigh tradition, it's an excellent time to fire the head coach.

Let's hope the Pards do not fire their coach. We really enjoy his coaching in late November!