PDA

View Full Version : Furman @ WCU

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2011, 07:19 PM
Paladins up 40-14 with 11:16 left to go.

Not sure of the count, but Forcier has thrown for at least another four touchdown.

Reign of Terrier
October 1st, 2011, 07:24 PM
Looking forward to play the Furpes this year...they look like a tough, physical team with a great QB who makes good throws. Can't wait to see what he does against an actual defense ;)

FurmanWins!!
October 1st, 2011, 08:20 PM
Another great win for FU, Chris Forcier goes 14-17 269 yards, 4 TD's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHPFK05fEvU

Go Paladins, Beat Samford!!!!!!!!

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2011, 09:22 PM
Looking forward to play the Furpes this year...they look like a tough, physical team with a great QB who makes good throws. Can't wait to see what he does against an actual defense ;)

Wofford looked good this afternoon as well.

Furman is getting it done the old fashioned way. Up the middle, between the tackles.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 1st, 2011, 09:29 PM
Furman could very well be the best non-option team in the SoCon. I think they're on the rise.

It's been uncanny over the years how GSU and Furman's ups and downs have coincided going all the way back to the mid 80s. Both teams were stong in the mid to late 80s, were mediocre in the early and mid 90s, then both rose again in the late 90s and fell again circa 2006. I figured with GSU back to being a national power it was not going to be long before Furman got their crap together.

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2011, 09:37 PM
Furman could very well be the best non-option team in the SoCon. I think they're on the rise.

It's been uncanny over the years how GSU and Furman's ups and downs have coincided going all the way back to the mid 80s. Both teams were stong in the mid to late 80s, were mediocre in the early and mid 90s, then both rose again in the late 90s and fell again circa 2006. I figured with GSU back to being a national power it was not going to be long before Furman got their crap together.

Been refreshing. Just relentless running game followed up by high percentage passing plays on offense. Forcier throws for another four touchdowns today, and by my count, has still not thrown an interception this season.

SouthernStyle
October 1st, 2011, 10:27 PM
Im actually glad furman is getting better. One of my most favorite games @ GSU was blue out in 2005!!! need I say more... xthumbsupx

FUTILLURPURPLE
October 1st, 2011, 10:32 PM
It is nice to see FU return to its roots - good ol' fashioned running at you smashmouth football, with the play action pass to burn you. Fowler and staff are doing a good job with an OL that has very little depth. Forcier - what can you say? Leading the nation in pass efficiency. So glad to see Forcier thrive in the current system when he struggled with Lamb.

CID1990
October 1st, 2011, 10:52 PM

He scored 16 against an actual defense already.

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2011, 11:01 PM
It is nice to see FU return to its roots - good ol' fashioned running at you smashmouth football, with the play action pass to burn you. Fowler and staff are doing a good job with an OL that has very little depth. Forcier - what can you say? Leading the nation in pass efficiency. So glad to see Forcier thrive in the current system when he struggled with Lamb.

I don't think it's fair to say Forcier "struggled" with Lamb. Forcier sat behind a fifth year senior (who was the OC's son) his first season, and then was injured most of his second season. This is his first opportunity to actually get on the field.

apaladin
October 1st, 2011, 11:01 PM

I think The Citadel is the best D that FU has faced. FU gameplan was conservative and kept it on the ground but Forcier was still 9-9 and a TD pass.

FWIW, I loved the double reverse pass FU ran tonight against WCU.

FUTILLURPURPLE
October 1st, 2011, 11:16 PM
I don't think it's fair to say Forcier "struggled" with Lamb. Forcier sat behind a fifth year senior (who was the OC's son) his first season, and then was injured most of his second season. This is his first opportunity to actually get on the field.

I know what you're saying, but Lamb was pretty high on Forcier when he brought him in. Many thought he would start instantly, like Ingle Martin. Lamb half heartedly said his reason for not playing was that he didn't know the playbook - there was probably some truth to this. So yes, to a degree, he did struggle. I think Fowler's system has taken a lot of the pressure off of Forcier because the focus is on the running game. Lamb's focus was the spread option and passing, as you will notice rushing stats faltered over the past few years. Even heading into last yr, Lamb was wishy washy between Worley and Forcier. I'm just glad Lamb is out of the picture, or we'd probably see Derrick as our starter.

FurmanWins!!
October 2nd, 2011, 12:01 AM
Lamb was wishy washy because he was a very poor head coach.

Now Forcier and the Din's got it rolling big time baby, Beat Samford!!!!!!!!!

Reign of Terrier
October 2nd, 2011, 07:36 AM

exactly, and they've scored high against sub-par competition. The real question is whether or not Furman has gotten that much better in the last 3 weeks or if they just haven't played a quality defense, or both

PaladinNation
October 2nd, 2011, 09:47 AM
I think it's unfair to say Bobby Lamb was a poor head coach. The total outcome falls on the head coach, and BL made some poor choices when it came to loyalty to assistant coaches. Also, sadly BL had to be thrown to the lions for the Furman admin to wake up. Plus, it didn't hurt to get a president that loves athletics, especially football.

This season is still young, and yes Furman still has to face the big boys… GSU, Wofford, ASU, and I'll still throw Chatty and Elon in the equation. But Bruce Fowler has already started awaking the Paladins. We might not win more than three games from here on out. But it won't be for not playing hard, and being prepared. Furman has many talented players, but Furman needs more players to be "Furman."

The good news is recruits are excited again, about choosing Furman… it starts with getting probably the best all-around QB in South Carolina this year.

Reese Hannon - Greer HS 6-3 205
“It’s a great school and I like the things they are doing with the football program,” Hannon said. “I can’t think of a better place for me to be.”

http://www.greertoday.com/football.html

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2011, 12:05 PM
Between Hannon and Eman, Furman is going to be loaded at the QB position.

FurmanWins!!
October 2nd, 2011, 05:11 PM
2011 NCAA FCS Passing Leaders:

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/fcs/stats/passing

SCPALADIN
October 2nd, 2011, 05:56 PM
2011 NCAA FCS Passing Leaders:

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/fcs/stats/passing

Good God, does Lehigh ever run the ball!?!?

OL FU
October 3rd, 2011, 05:09 AM

that was all he needed to score in that game:p

OL FU
October 3rd, 2011, 05:23 AM
I think The Citadel is the best D that FU has faced. FU gameplan was conservative and kept it on the ground but Forcier was still 9-9 and a TD pass.

FWIW, I loved the double reverse pass FU ran tonight against WCU.

I agree. I think the Citadel is the best D we played this year. I also think the coaches strategy was to establish the run and worry about opening up later. We started that way againts CCU. Started passing with success when it was obvious we weren't going to stop CCU enough to win with just the ground game and stopped passing when Forcier went out. Against the Citadel we ran and that is all we had to do. Citadel played well in the redzone, but really never stopped the running attack. PC and WCU was the place to gain confidence in the overall offense which was the next stop in the process. Samford will be a good test again. Hopefully we get past them and then get to see how good we are the next four weeks after that.