PDA

View Full Version : Columbia at Princeton Game Thread

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:11 PM
PRINCETON, N.J. — Every time I find myself at Princeton Stadium (or Powers Field, if you like that better), I can't help but wonder what it would be like to host the NCAA Division I Football Championship here.

The stadium is gorgeous. It has fixed seating of 27,000, with room to fit more people in, and it has excellent support facilities. And being a little closer to the FCS universe — both population-wise and media-wise — it has always seemed like it would make a great place for a title game.

There is plenty of parking, a lot of hotel space and food options nearby and plenty of things to do when fans are not thinking about football.

Hey, we're in New Jersey, maybe you might even catch a Snookie sighting at the Jersey Shore.

Having lived in nearby Philadelphia (45 minutes away in the suburbs), I know that the weather here isn't usually that bad in the winter, with only the occasional snow.

And one other things, maybe by allowing an Ivy League school to host the title game might persuade the Ivy League champ to accept an automatic bid to the playoffs.

Give a bid to the Ivies and another to the PFL, add two at-large schools and we're set with a 24-team playoff field.

You couldn't do much better than that in my mind.

On the field tonight in this Ivy League opener, you have two struggling teams, looking for their first win of the season.

Columbia lost to Fordham in a New York City showdown (in Fordham's digs in the Bronx), 21-14, and was hammered 44-21 by Albany last week at home.

Princeton has a record-long 10-game losing streak under second-year coach Bob Surace and has dropped two in a row to Columbia, its longest winless skein against the Lions since the rivalry began in 1874.

The Tigers have a 64-15-1 all-time advantage against Columbia.

Princeton lost 34-22 to an excellent Lehigh squad and 34-9 to an improving Bucknell unit.

While Princeton is suffering, it is nowhere near what Columbia has endured. Most of us remember the 44-game losing skid the Lions endured in the 1980s, a string that ended when Columbia beat Princeton in 1988.

Solomon Johnson's two-yard run with 5:13 remaining gave the Lions the lead and the Tigers missed a 48-yard field goal on the final play as Columbia won.

We will see whose streak prevails tonight.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:12 PM
Princeton loss the coin toss, but took the opening kickoff and moved quickly down the field, eventually earning a first down at the Columbia 18.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:14 PM
On third and six from the 14, QB Tommy Wornham ran a bootleg to the 11 and the Tigers settled for a 27-yard field goal from Patrick Jacob to spurt out to a 3-0 lead with 11:05 left in the first period. 9 plays, 61 yards, 3:55 off the clock on the first Princeton drive.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:17 PM
Griffin Lowery nearly broke the kickoff return for six before being stopped at the Columbia 43. The Lions converted a first down at the Princeton 46.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:19 PM
Princeton forced a sack DT Caraun Reid near midfield to cause a fumble and it was recovered by OLB Andrew Starks at the Tiger 47 in the first big play of the game.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:20 PM
The quick-tempoed Princeton attack completed a first-down pass at the Lion 38, but had a drop near the 30 on the next play.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:22 PM
Wornham and freshman tailback Chuck Dibilio have been strong early on for the Tiger offense. Fourth and three at the 31 comes up empty as Wornham is pressured and is forced to throw the ball away with seven minutes left in the quarter.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:24 PM
One of my favorite things about coming to Princeton Stadium, besides the first-class press box, is the chance to partake of the best press box soup I've ever had. My favorites are the orange-colored pumpkin and ginger soups they serve up here, but today's cream of mushroom (to go with my chicken salad sandwich) was pretty awesome, too. Good enough that I ate TWO bowls and will probably make it three at halftime.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:25 PM
From a fans' prospective, you have to love the quick tempo that BOTH offenses are using from their respective spreads tonight. It makes for a much crisper game and keep everyone's attention.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:26 PM
Columbia is mixing run and pass to move into Princeton territory again. It is third and three at the Tiger 44.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:27 PM
Princeton gets a nice pass break up on a slant to force a Columbia punt. The ball is downed at the Tiger 8 with 3:16 left in the first quarter.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:30 PM
A.J. Maddox made a great break on a Wornham pass for an interception and his nine-yard return gave Columbia its first touchdown of the game. The Lions lead 7-3 with 2:38 left in the first period.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:31 PM
Ivan Charbonneau made a nice kickoff return to the Princeton 38 to give the Tigers good field position.

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2011, 05:32 PM
Princeton has the best FCS facility bar none, IMHO.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:33 PM
A great pass down the sideline from Wornham to Isaac Serwanga goes for 37 yards for Princeton to the Lion20.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:34 PM
Princeton has the best FCS facility bar none, IMHO.

Not the best, but close to it. Lafayette is definitely in the race, as is Liberty and James Madison (both with new digs), but the best current one is Appalachian State.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:37 PM
Wornham hit tight end Mark Hayes, who snuck out to the opposite side of the flow of a fake run for a five-yard scoring strike. It was the first career TD for the junior. The scoring drive was 7 plays, 62 yards in 2:22 as the Tigers went back in front 10-7.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:40 PM
Not the best, but close to it. Lafayette is definitely in the race, as is Liberty and James Madison (both with new digs), but the best current one is Appalachian State.

Back to the stadium debate, Appalachian State actually toured Lafayette's facilities before building its updated stadium, which opened in 2009. The locker rooms at ASU are better than a couple of NFL locker rooms I've been in and the support facilities are some of the most impressive at ANY Division I school. My ranking would be:

1. Appalachian State
2. Liberty
3. James Madison (not having seen a game there, but having seen the facility)
4. Princeton
5. Lafayette

Anyone else have an opinion on this subject?

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2011, 05:41 PM
Sounds like a good one. Since you're there, I'm sure that you're seeing that Columbia actually does have a football team, contrary to some views. Still have to root for the Tigers, though.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:41 PM
As we start the second period in this 10-7 game, led by Princeton, Columbia has quickly moved into Tiger territory again, but faces a third and 12 at the Princeton 48.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM
Sounds like a good one. Since you're there, I'm sure that you're seeing that Columbia actually does have a football team, contrary to some views. Still have to root for the Tigers, though.

This is my first time watching Columbia in person, though I hope to make it over to NYC to see the Lions' new digs some day. Columbia has been making slow, but steady strides for a few years now under Norries Wilson.

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2011, 05:45 PM
Back to the stadium debate, Appalachian State actually toured Lafayette's facilities before building its updated stadium, which opened in 2009. The locker rooms at ASU are better than a couple of NFL locker rooms I've been in and the support facilities are some of the most impressive at ANY Division I school. My ranking would be:

1. Appalachian State
2. Liberty
3. James Madison (not having seen a game there, but having seen the facility)
4. Princeton
5. Lafayette

Anyone else have an opinion on this subject?

Lafayette's locker/training facilities were purpose-built to be on par with any BCS facility. You have to see it to believe it. They remain so. The stadium is like walking into another world.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:45 PM
Princeton stops another Columbia drive and takes advantage of the Lions only having 10 men on the field defensively on first down to move to the 30.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:48 PM
Lafayette's locker/training facilities were purpose-built to be on par with any BCS facility. You have to see it to believe it. They remain so. The stadium is like walking into another world.

I totally agree. I've been given the tour and I love that place. They had state of the art TVs everywhere when those were not commonplace. I also absolutely love the stonework around and in the stadium.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:49 PM
Nice protection for Wornham, who completes a pass at the Columbia 35 for another first down.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:50 PM
One of my favorite things about coming to Princeton Stadium, besides the first-class press box, is the chance to partake of the best press box soup I've ever had. My favorites are the orange-colored pumpkin and ginger soups they serve up here, but today's cream of mushroom (to go with my chicken salad sandwich) was pretty awesome, too. Good enough that I ate TWO bowls and will probably make it three at halftime.

A debate on the best soup at Princeton has developed. I'm holding to pumpkin, but other like the white clam chowder.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:52 PM
Columbia kills the Princeton drive with another turnover, resulting in a fumble recovery at the 19 after a pass reception and a return to the Lion 40. ILB Ryan Murphy had the hit.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:55 PM
A pass from Columbia QB Sean Brackett to Kurt Williams was ruled a catch after Williams appeared to lose it as he fell inches short of the first down at the 37. A fourth-down rush came up short as the Princeton defense held with 6:06 left in the half.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 05:59 PM
Princeton was stopped and forced to punt. Columbia is moving at its own 37.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:02 PM
Columbia is stopped and forced to punt. Princeton's ball at the 14 with a little over two minutes left in the half.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:06 PM
Princeton's lack of execution, lining up in the wrong places on some plays and committing dumb penalties has been almost too much for offensive coordinator James Perry. Perry has been screaming from the coaches' box and banging his hands (hopefully, it is not his head) against the counter.

Perry, incidently, used to be the offensive coordinator for K.C. Keeler at Delaware.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:07 PM
Columbia had a nice completion to midfield wiped out by a holding call.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:08 PM
Time left for one more play in the first half after a Columbia completion at its own 45. Time out to set up the last play with four seconds left.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:10 PM
A dropped pass in the open at the 25 by Columbia brings the half to an end. Princeton 10, Columbia 7.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:25 PM

So, Bogus, what happened in that Harvard game today? The score really surprised me, particularly after the way the Leopards played against Penn, two weeks ago.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2011, 06:32 PM
For a "fast-break" offense, it's certainly odd that Princeton doesn't score more effectively. It's almost too complicated to work on a regular basis - and seems to completely unravel when backed up behind the 20 or they're inside the 20.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:32 PM
The second half is underway, with Columbia taking the ball at the 31 after the kickoff.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:35 PM
For a "fast-break" offense, it's certainly odd that Princeton doesn't score more effectively. It's almost too complicated to work on a regular basis - and seems to completely unravel when backed up behind the 20 or they're inside the 20.

This is an obviously young team, though QB Wornham is a veteran. The Tigers have been having troubles with lining up in the right place and taking dumb penalties, including one for having 12 men on the field. One drive was killed by a fumble at the 19. I love the tempo they are playing at.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:36 PM
Princeton dodged a bullet after fumbling on a shovel pass that went for a niuce first down at the Tiger 39. The Tigers were very fortunate to recover.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:38 PM
Dibilio broke tackles to go for 45 yards to the Columbia 11. We'll see what the Tigers do on this red zone effort.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:38 PM
Third and one from the two.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:41 PM
Brian Mills smashes in for the Princeton TD on a zone read play. Princeton lead 17-7 with 11:11 remaining in the third period. It was the first ground TD for the Tigers since week six of last season when Mills scored from two yards out. How can you go seven games without a rushing TD? 7 plays, 74 yards, 2:47 on the drive.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2011, 06:42 PM
Maybe the fast-break offense is finally "breaking free" and scoring. The potential is certainly there for it.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:43 PM
An impression after watching these teams for a little over a half. Neither of these clubs is going to challenge Penn, or Harvard for the Ivy League title.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:44 PM
Columbia ran a very ineffective drive for a three and out. I'm not sure if Columbia made poor adjustments on offense, or Princeton made some terrific one on defense.

bulldog10jw
October 1st, 2011, 06:45 PM
This might be the most attention paid to a Princeton - Columbia game since Cosmo Iacavazzi and Archie Roberts

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:45 PM
Maybe the fast-break offense is finally "breaking free" and scoring. The potential is certainly there for it.

The OC Perry is still not happy from upstairs.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:48 PM
A snap sailed over Wornham's head and A.J. Maddox had his second turnover of the game, a fumble recovery at the 28. On the next play, Columbia's Paul Haves got behind the secondary and caught a play-action pass from Brackett for a TD to make it Princeton 17, Columbia 14 with 8:20 left.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:49 PM
This might be the most attention paid to a Princeton - Columbia game since Cosmo Iacavazzi and Archie Roberts

That's a great line. I wouldn't mind using Dr. Who's Tardis to go back in time to see those two play.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:50 PM
Glad to see the Ivy League family joining us for the second half. Keep those comments and questions coming.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:51 PM

Bulldog, were you in the house for those Columbia-Princeton games in the 1960s?

bulldog10jw
October 1st, 2011, 06:51 PM
That's a great line. I wouldn't mind using Dr. Who's Tardis to go back in time to see those two play.

I saw both play in the Bowl as a kid. My first Yale game was in 1959.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:52 PM
The Princeton fast break petered out near the Lion 40 and disaster nearly struck for the Lions when they fumbled a punt return, but recovered at the five. Princeton 17, Columbia 14 with six minutes left in the third.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:54 PM

My first memory of Ivy League play was watching some of the 29-29 Harvard-Yale tie in 1968. Still one of the greatest games in college history (even if it wasn't a pleasant memory for you).

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:56 PM

Kind of funny that the current spread trend in college football is just an adaptation of the single wing that Princeton was still running back when Cosmo Iacavazzi played.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:57 PM
Princeton earns a first down at the 14 on a Wornham run as the fast break continues to roll with around four minutes left in the third period.

bulldog10jw
October 1st, 2011, 06:59 PM
In '64 Yale and Princeton were undefeated heading into their game in New Haven. Yale was 6-0-1 with the tie coming against Columbia and Roberts. Princeton was 7-0.

The game was 14-14 at the half, but Cosmo ran wild in the 2nd half and Princeton pulled away 35-14. They ended the year 9-0.

When I was a kid, the Princeton game was more important than the Harvard game. Mostly because Yale lost 6 straight from '61 -'66. Kind of sad that the rivalry isn't what it used to be.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 06:59 PM
Wornham' 12-yard sprintout pass to Tom Moak, who made a nice catch in the back corner of the end zone makes it Princeton 24, Columbia 14. 5 plays, 26 yards, 1:35 on the drive after a good punt return and bad Columbia field position set the Tigers up.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:01 PM
Columbia is falling apart and nearly fumbled away the kickoff return. First down for the Lions on the 13 after a penalty.

bulldog10jw
October 1st, 2011, 07:02 PM
My first memory of Ivy League play was watching some of the 29-29 Harvard-Yale tie in 1968. Still one of the greatest games in college history (even if it wasn't a pleasant memory for you).

I watched that '68 game on closed circuit TV (remember that ?) at the old New Haven Arena, now long gone. I guess it will always be Cozza's worst "loss"

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:04 PM
In '64 Yale and Princeton were undefeated heading into their game in New Haven. Yale was 6-0-1 with the tie coming against Columbia and Roberts. Princeton was 7-0.

The game was 14-14 at the half, but Cosmo ran wild in the 2nd half and Princeton pulled away 35-14. They ended the year 9-0.

When I was a kid, the Princeton game was more important than the Harvard game. Mostly because Yale lost 6 straight from '61 -'66. Kind of sad that the rivalry isn't what it used to be.

I may be in the minority here, but I was a big Roger Hughes fan, even though I know he was probably too out-spoken for Princeton. At least he got the Tigers one recent Ivy League title. The Princeton program has a long way to go. I could say the same about the Yale program. I didn't like the coaching change the Bulldogs made and have found Tom Williams to be less than friendly with his NFL airs. I'm not sure how well liked he is around the league, either.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:05 PM
I am not impressed by the hands of stone of the Columbia receivers. A lot of drops tonight.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:06 PM
I watched that '68 game on closed circuit TV (remember that ?) at the old New Haven Arena, now long gone. I guess it will always be Cozza's worst "loss"

A young football fan couldn't help but be enthralled by watching the great Brian Dowling at QB, not to mention Calvin Hill (who ruined things by becoming a Dallas Cowboy). Yes, I remember closed circuit TV, though I never had the chance to experience it back in those days.

bulldog10jw
October 1st, 2011, 07:08 PM
Yet another Tiger Inn boy nails Yale

And after each TD that Iacavazzi scored (I think 3 times), he threw the football into the stands. No penalty for that in those days, probably because no one did it.

3 years later Brian Dowling, at a pep rally, at YALE, can you imagine a pep rally at Yale, promised her would score a TD and throw the ball into the stands at Princeton....and he did as Yale snapped a 6 game losing streak to Princeton

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:09 PM
Wornham catches the Lion defense on the read option and races for 16 yards to the Columbia 45 as the third quarter ends. It's still Princeton 24, Columbia 14.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:10 PM
And after each TD that Iacavazzi scored (I think 3 times), he threw the football into the stands. No penalty for that in those days, probably because no one did it.

3 years later Brian Dowling, at a pep rally, at YALE, can you imagine a pep rally at Yale, promised her would score a TD and throw the ball into the stands at Princeton....and he did as Yale snapped a 6 game losing streak to Princeton

That's a cool story. How many QBs have ever had a cartoon character designed after them like BD in Doonsbury?

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:11 PM
A perfect play for Princeton to start the fourth quarter as Wornham throws the post for a 45-yard TD. Unfortunately, it wasn't perfect as the Tigers were called for holding.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:22 PM
The pace is finally slowing down as both teams keep exchanging punts. I don't see the anemic Columbia offense coming back for two scores with 10:41 left and the Lions still trailing 24-14. The latest Columbia drive is starting at the Lion 15, but a dead-ball personal foul is moving the Lions up to the 30.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:26 PM
During the time when Columbia was trying to dig itself out of the 44-game losing streak, I was working for a newspaper in Ojai, Ca. called the Ojai Valley News. The local public high school had a speedster named Craig Terry that was recruited to Columbia. Unfortunately, this wide receiver/kick returner had his career shortened by knee injuries (the Lions didn't exactly know how to block in those days). Another Nordhoff player named Todd Cowgill ended up at Penn.

Terry's high school alma-mater was prominently featured a year ago in the movie "Easy A."

One more Ojai/FCS factoid: The Southern California resort town is also the home of Villanova Preparatory School, a catholic prep school run by the same Augustinian brothers who run Villanova University.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:28 PM
A 29-yard strike for a touchdown from Brackett to Hamilton Garner, who stretched the ball over the pylon, helps Columbia get back into the game with 6:43 remaining. 8 plays, 85 yards, 2:58 on the drive.

You've got to wonder where that came from. Princeton 24, Columbia 21.

bulldog10jw
October 1st, 2011, 07:31 PM
You know, if you go to the Ivy sports website, the Columbia faithful are as rabid as any fans you will see. This is always going to be their year. I really hope one of these years, it is.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:33 PM
Trying to get more yardage, one of Princeton's players fumbled at the Tiger 44 and Princeton was lucky to recover. On the next play, Wornham hit Matt Costello for 47 yards on another post pattern. This time, the Columbia Safety just missed a great breakup. Costello has the earlier TD catch on the post that was wiped out on the holding call.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:34 PM
On third and goal from the five, Princeton was called for ineligible receiver, but the Ivy League officials blew an obvious intetrference call.

bulldog10jw
October 1st, 2011, 07:35 PM
On third and goal from the five, Princeton was called for ineligible receiver, but the Ivy League officials blew an obvious intetrference call.

Does the Ivy League HAVE their own officials?

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:35 PM
On fourth down, Princeton doesn't kick a field goal from what would have been 22 yards and a pass from Wornham to Costello was incomplete. With less than three minutes to play, Columbia has to go 95 yards.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:36 PM
Does the Ivy League HAVE their own officials?

I believe so, though they may be part of a larger group. The Ivy League observer is directly behind me right now in the press box.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:37 PM
huh?

why go for the play on 4th and goal instead of trying the FG?

That made NO SENSE to me.

bulldog10jw
October 1st, 2011, 07:37 PM
On fourth down, Princeton doesn't kick a field goal from what would have been 22 yards and a pass from Wornham to Costello was incomplete. With less than three minutes to play, Columbia has to go 95 yards.

Don't they need just a FG to tie?

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:38 PM
Under heavy pressure, Brackett threw a third and five pass away from his own end zone. Fourth down with 2:30 remaining and time out for the Lions.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:38 PM
Don't they need just a FG to tie?

Yes they do. But why not think TD, if you are the Lions?

bulldog10jw
October 1st, 2011, 07:39 PM
Yes they do. But why not think TD, if you are the Lions?

Just setting the scene in my mind

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:40 PM
Maybe the Tigers thought that Columbia was worse off at the five, needing three than scoring and giving the Lions better field position after the kickoff.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:42 PM
On fourth down Brackett scramble and was hit short of the first down, but the ball was also CLEARLY fumbled and the Ivy League officials BLEW another call that would have given the Tigers the ball closer to the goal line. It is currently third and four for Princeton at the at the 7.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:43 PM
On fourth and two from the five, Princeton let the clock run down to 37 seconds and it looks like the Tigers will try to clinch the game with another offensive play.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:45 PM
A bootleg pass for Princeton goes out of bounds near the first down with 28 seconds left. The measurement will decide whether the game is over and it comes up short for Princeton. Columbia's ball at the three.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:46 PM
Pass complete out of bounds at the 11 for the Lions with 23 seconds left.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 07:48 PM
An interception by free safety Harrison Daniels at the Columbia 29 ends it for Princeton. Princeton kneels down once and its a final, Tigers 24, Columbia 21.

bulldog10jw
October 1st, 2011, 07:50 PM
Good job, Mr. C

danefan
October 1st, 2011, 07:51 PM
Princeton undefeated in Ivy League play, on the way to the Ivy League Championship!
xlolxxlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2011, 07:58 PM
Way to help Lehigh's SoS, Princeton! xlolx

DJOM
October 1st, 2011, 08:12 PM
Princeton wins, Princeton wins; Good Lord Princeton wins. Working on winning streak for rest of season.

bulldog10jw
October 1st, 2011, 08:15 PM
Princeton wins, Princeton wins; Good Lord Princeton wins. Working on winning streak for rest of season.

Nice to see Princeton and Columbia stop each others record losing streaks. Simpatico!

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 08:30 PM
Good job, Mr. C

Thanks you and thanks for the memories, too.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 08:31 PM
Princeton undefeated in Ivy League play, on the way to the Ivy League Championship!

Let's not get delusional.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 08:49 PM
Some final stats:

Princeton 421 yards, 56-227 rushing, 19-of-28 for 194 passing with 2 TDs and one interception for Wornham (who also had another TD pass called back on a penalty). Brian Mills 26-117 rushing with one TD, Chuck Dibilio 6-70 rushing, Wornham 13-35 rushing (229 total offense).

Columbia 275 total offense, 31-87 rushing, 19-34-1 for 188 passing (Sean Brackett).

Princeton fumbled five times, but lost only two for three total turnovers and Columbia lost one of two fumbles and had one interception.

Mr. C
October 1st, 2011, 08:50 PM
Way to help Lehigh's SoS, Princeton! xlolx

Lehigh doesn't need much of anybody's help. Those Engineering Hawks are just plain good (and might be undefeated if not for that bogus OT, out-of-bounds TD against New Hampshire).

Go...gate
October 2nd, 2011, 07:10 PM
Princeton's first win in over a calendar year. Listened on the radio with a member of the PU class of 1953. Nice win. Hampton will be tough next week, though.

DJOM
October 2nd, 2011, 08:21 PM
If I were the head coach of Princeton; which I am not for numerous reasons; I would buy 6 rolls of duct tape. I would tape a football to every member of the backfield/receiver corp. I would make them carry the duct taped football during practice this week. I would tell them, in my subtle convincing voice, that if they fumbled next week---they would have to carry a duct taped football all week next week. 5 fumbles are unacceptable at the high school level. At the D1 level its absurd.

Probably one small reason I am not the head coach at Princeton.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2011, 08:43 PM
If I were the head coach of Princeton; which I am not for numerous reasons; I would buy 6 rolls of duct tape. I would tape a football to every member of the backfield/receiver corp. I would make them carry the duct taped football during practice this week. I would tell them, in my subtle convincing voice, that if they fumbled next week---they would have to carry a duct taped football all week next week. 5 fumbles are unacceptable at the high school level. At the D1 level its absurd.

My question is: is Tom Williams doing the same thing at Yale? xlolx

Go...gate
October 2nd, 2011, 09:22 PM

Last night's conditions were hardly ideal, though. I am certain the ball was very slick.