PDA

View Full Version : Colonels: 'No Paddle for You'

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2011, 09:11 PM
In light of TXST making the move to FBS, the folks in Thibodaux have decided that they are ending the 'Battle for the Paddle' and will leave down in the Cajun Corner...

Since 1998, the Nicholls/Texas State Southland Conference game has been dubbed the "Battle for the Paddle."

During that season the contest was rescheduled from October to late November due to floods in the San Marcos, Texas, area which caused damage to property and loss of life.

In memory of those affected, the winner of the game each year has been presented a wooden paddle with the colors of the schools and their initials and results of each game won on each side.

But things are different this season.

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20110930/OPINION01/110939974/1026/news01?p=1&tc=pg

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Letter from the San Marcos Daily Record to Nicholls' AD...

The paddle stands for more than just a trophy. For the people of San Marcos, it serves as a memorial to the 31 lives lost in the floods that ravaged Central and South Texas in 1998.

To hold the paddle hostage in Thibodaux, La., and not bring it to San Marcos — where your team can win it outright and then do whatever you please — is downright cowardly and a disservice to your student-athletes.

http://texasstatesports.com/2011/09/30/called-shots-an-open-letter-to-nicholls-state-ad-rob-bernardi/

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 30th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Not gonna lie, this kinda pisses me off. I feel a little better knowing the players and coaches are pretty pissed about this too. What a pansy move.

Oh well...hope the game doesn't get ugly tomorrow. I'll have my popcorn ready.

txstatebobcat
September 30th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Downright pathetic move, and it shows a lack of confidence on the Nicholls football team. I almost feel sorry for the colonel team, our student body is not famous for its class to begin with and now they have some real motivation to give them hell. I just hope things don't get truly ugly.

TexasTerror
October 1st, 2011, 08:41 AM
TXST article from yesterday... winning the 'paddle' is a big deal for the Bobcats evidently.

The Colonels took the paddle back to Thibodaux, La. last year, pulling out a thrilling 47-45 victory in quadruple overtime. It went back and forth the entire game, but Nicholls gained momentum with a game-tying score with 13 seconds left in the fourth quarter and won it following an interception thrown by then-freshman quarterback Tyler Arndt.

“The way they took it last year at our stadium was tough to watch,” junior running back Marcus Curry said. “We definitely have to get it back. We have to redeem ourselves.”

Curry isn’t the only player with a stake in the game. Plus, Curry didn’t even play in the two-point loss in 2010 since he missed the entire season with an injury to his Achilles tendon.

“In the spring, we asked our players about goals and on some of their goal sheets was to win back the paddle,” Franchione said. “In light of our move to FBS football, this very likely could be the last time we meet. If it is, we want to have [the paddle] resting here in San Marcos.”

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/x1953748750/College-Football-The-final-Battle

txst80
October 2nd, 2011, 02:03 AM
Nicholls lost this game when they decided not to bring the paddle to San Marcos. It shows a complete lack of confidence in your team to make an excuse like that. And thats all what Bernardi was saying is, an excuse. Really is a cowardly move, I sincerely hope we would have brought the paddle to Thibodaux if the shoe was on the other foot.

Stepping back as a fan and trying to look at it as unbiased as possible I truly feel Nicholls made the wrong move here and it portrays their institution in a bad light. I would be embarrassed if I was a Nicholls fan.

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2011, 08:13 AM
What was the situation post-game? I think I read somewhere that there were at least five paddles on the field following the contest. Any paddle-related news to share?

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Nicholls didn't even know about the AD removing the paddle until after the game... TXST head coach Dennis Franchione thanked the AD at Nicholls for firing his team up!

“(After the game) in the team meeting, that was the only time we ever heard about a paddle because they are not in the Southland Conference anymore,” Nicholls linebacker Stefan Bergeron said. “We won the paddle (last year) when it was a rivalry in the Southland Conference.”

Bobcats coach Dennis Franchione said not having the paddle in San Marcos helped motivate his team.

“I think their A.D. (Rob Bernardi) did a nice job of throwing fuel on the fire for us,” Franchione said. “It was a big deal for our kids. But, as I told them, the paddle is merely a symbol for us. The outcome of the game is the most important thing.”

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20111002/ARTICLES/111009964/1187/sports12?p=2&tc=pg

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2011, 09:52 AM
LOL... the Bobcats are paddling for the Colonels...

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m37/lynxrufus88/DSC06719.jpg

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Everyone got in the act!

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/download/file.php?id=673

TexasTerror
October 5th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Editorial from TXST student paper...

Bernardi did not really feel like Nicholls stood a chance against Texas State, which is not even a member of the FBS yet. So then why has Nicholls played nine FBS schools in the last five years? The Colonels should have just forfeited (the team practically did in a 72-0 loss to Air Force a few years ago).

If Bernardi must shelter the paddle away from Texas State, stand in a corner and stick his tongue out like a 6-year old child, why even pack the team onto the bus in the first place? Forfeit, because it is an unfair advantage. Oh, but wait, intercollegiate sports is based on fairness. Get in that locker room, Bernardi. Motivate your athletes and coaching staff and express that this is a rivalry and the best effort possible will be commended. Go team, rah rah, all that and more.

But do not put out statements that basically say, “The coaching staff can’t get it done, the players can’t get it done, and it’s unfair. So in the event of a loss, which will probably happen, I’m not bringing your stupid, unfair paddle.”

http://star.txstate.edu/node/4704

McNeese75
October 5th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Yep that looks like some of the childish things done at Bobcat stadium xlolx

(I am NOT defending the Nicholls action which was BS as well)

That's fine, the Cats will get a different version of paddling this week in Lake Charles.

alvinkayak6
October 5th, 2011, 10:00 AM
I would be happy to design them a new kayak paddle. It will be a very fair price ;)

bojeta
October 5th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Letter from the San Marcos Daily Record to Nicholls' AD...

http://texasstatesports.com/2011/09/30/called-shots-an-open-letter-to-nicholls-state-ad-rob-bernardi/

After reading the article, it's pretty clear that both sides are being unreasonable to some degree. The arguments put forward by Texas State are illogical. You can't suggest that Nicholl's or other FCS programs scheduling FBS opponents somehow justifies Texas State's new advantage in a rivalry!! If that's the case, Texas State should cough up the big cash payout. Also, TCU and SMU's continued rivalry is among two FBS level teams and is therefore illogical as well. On the other hand, a simple arrangement could have been made to commemorate the final game (under the current disparity). For instance; two paddles with acknowledgement of the game's significance and current circumstances. Each team leaves with a paddle to keep honoring the series. Come on! Can the AD's be that immature that they are going to squabble over this rather than reach an amicable solution??

FormerPokeCenter
October 5th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Can the AD's be that immature that they are going to squabble over this rather than reach an amicable solution??

You don't know very much about Texas State, do you? ;)

Hood
October 9th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I don't read the local paper anymore and I only just became aware of this situation this morning reading through the prediction threads from the last two weeks. I can't expound TOO much on my thoughts, but this doesn't surprise me in the least.

I was actually pretty agitated that we'd lost the paddle "for good" not even realizing what happened. Doesn't look good at all. I liked the "6-year-old" analogy the best.

I don't know Mr. Bernardi personally and only have interacted with him when sharing the same standing space at functions. He probably would have no idea who the heck I was. But as far as his professional decisions @ NSU, I question a lot of things.

El Gato
October 9th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Yep that looks like some of the childish things done at Bobcat stadium xlolx

(I am NOT defending the Nicholls action which was BS as well)

That's fine, the Cats will get a different version of paddling this week in Lake Charles.
Sure about that?

TexasTerror
November 21st, 2011, 10:20 PM
Karma is a you know what... no wins in SLC play.

Sure the TXST fans may be upset about their lack of success against SLC rivals, but are happy to see the Colonels go 0-fer one more time after the issue with the 'Battle for the Paddle'. At least it is once thing Nicholls won this year!

Hood
November 23rd, 2011, 07:35 PM
Hush you :P

TexasTerror
November 23rd, 2011, 07:59 PM
Hush you :P

Could not resist... ;)