PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota at Southern Utah--Game Thread

darell1976
September 30th, 2011, 06:50 PM
http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/

The Fighting Sioux head on the road this week to take on the Southern Utah Thunderbirds in a battle of ranked teams. The game is also the Great West Conference opener for both. The T-Birds are ranked #19 and the Sioux come in at #24 in the coaches poll. SUU looks poised to make a run at the playoffs this year. The game can be seen on Midco Sports Net Channel 323 for all those with Midcontinent and on the Fightingsioux.com website for those without. Game time is 2pm central time.

Good luck Sioux!!!!!

No_Skill
September 30th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Good luck to und. Darell would you say this is the toughest non-fbs game on the schedule?

bojeta
September 30th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I rooting for the Sioux in this one. I'm afraid SUU will win it, but I would love to see an upset. I think NDU has the personnel to do it!

TheBisonator
September 30th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I rooting for the Sioux in this one. I'm afraid SUU will win it, but I would love to see an upset. I think NDU has the personnel to do it!

FAIL

frozennorth
September 30th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I wondern if more than 10% of our student body knows this game is happening?

darell1976
September 30th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Good luck to und. Darell would you say this is the toughest non-fbs game on the schedule?

I would think either this one or the Cali teams. But the only ones ranked is SUU and USD...we have USD at home last game of the year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 1st, 2011, 06:37 AM
SUU: 38-14

alvinkayak6
October 1st, 2011, 09:08 AM
T-Birdsx are winning without domination by Sorensen. New receivers are making an impact. Hard to pick against SUU. Both teams have represnted FCS welll this year

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 01:53 PM
kickoff in 10 minutes!!

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 02:13 PM
snap through the punters hands....SAFETY!!!!!!!

UND 2
SUU 0 1Q

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 02:30 PM
TD SIOUX!!!!

UND 9
SUU 0 5:34 1Q

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 02:41 PM
39FG for SUU..snapped is fumbled..UND BALL!!

UND 9
SUU 0 1:05 1Q

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 02:45 PM
TD SIOUX!!!!!!!!!

UND 16
SUU 0 :08 1Q

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 02:51 PM
End of the first Qtr

UND 16
SUU 0

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 03:09 PM
2pt conversion...failed

UND 16
SUU 6 4:52 2Q

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 04:00 PM
UND 16
SUU 6 8:27 3Q

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 04:06 PM
UND 16
SUU 13

5:57 3Q

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 04:18 PM
45 FG-UND....GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!

Sioux 19
SUU 13 3Q

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 04:23 PM
UND 19
SUU 13 end of 3

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 04:30 PM
TD MILLER!!!

UND 26
SUU 13 12:23 4Q

Twentysix
October 1st, 2011, 04:32 PM
Very nice, dont blow your lead!!

MplsBison
October 1st, 2011, 04:33 PM
Hope you guys get this win, SUU is a good team this year.

I knew UND would figure things out eventually.

It's such a darn shame that UND isn't with the rest of the Dakota schools in the Summit and MVFC.

Hopefully if Montana schools leave the Big Sky something will shake out and UND can join.

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 04:35 PM
4th down and 3 SUU-going for it

11 minutes left...time out SUU

TheBisonator
October 1st, 2011, 04:35 PM

It's such a darn shame that UND isn't with the rest of the Dakota schools in the Summit and MVFC.

Hopefully if Montana schools leave the Big Sky something will shake out and UND can join.

You are not a Bison fan.

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 04:38 PM
First down SUU. Damn.

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 04:42 PM
SUU 4th and 1.. pass incomplete! Sioux ball

7:54 4Q

Sioux 26
SUU 13

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 04:49 PM
TD-SUU

UND 26
SUU 20 4:34 4Q

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 04:55 PM
UND first down.

2:11 left

TO-SUU 1 left.

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 05:02 PM
SUU ball at their own 19

40 seconds left. no timeouts

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 05:04 PM
Time out UND

:17 left.

SUU deep in Sioux territory

Twentysix
October 1st, 2011, 05:05 PM
Time out UND

:17 left.

SUU deep in Sioux territory

Wrong personel? Why would UND call a time out?

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 05:05 PM
Intercepted-UND

SIOUX WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26-20!!!!!!!!!!!

Twentysix
October 1st, 2011, 05:06 PM
Winnar UND.

Twentysix
October 1st, 2011, 05:06 PM
Good job. UND will be my #25 as promised.

SUU will fall dramatically as well for me anyways.

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 05:07 PM
Wrong personel? Why would UND call a time out?

clock was stopped anyway.

bojeta
October 1st, 2011, 05:10 PM
FAIL

xwhistlex

bojeta
October 1st, 2011, 05:12 PM
Way to go Sioux!!! I mentioned back in August that the Great West was going to be a tough place to come out of without a loss. This just confirmed it. Here's hoping we don't play each other so tough that everyone is eliminated from the playoffs! :( That would suck!

semobison
October 1st, 2011, 05:13 PM
Nice win for UND! The Sioux seem to be a different team since Miller took over in the backfield!

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 05:13 PM
SUU was favored by 19 1/2....just proves why games are played anyways!!! SUU was the 2nd ranked team UND has ever beaten since joining DI (#16 Cal Poly-2009). First win at SUU since 2007 when UND was in DII. 5 game conference losing streak......gone!!!!!!! First place UND!!!!!!

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 05:14 PM
Nice win for UND! The Sioux seem to be a different team since Miller took over in the backfield!

He had around 150 yards. One reason UND won is because they could run the ball.

SDFS
October 1st, 2011, 05:17 PM
Fun game to watch - the offensive line for the Sioux can run block. They ran the ball right at SUU. Passing game is still a work in progress.

MplsBison
October 1st, 2011, 05:17 PM
You are not a Bison fan.

Says the guy who didn't go to the U of Minn game, let alone the amazing tailgating.

Best NDSU tailgating I've ever seen. I was there along with about 13,999 other true NDSU fans at the fairgrounds wearing green.

Go have some more gravy with your fries, eh?

darell1976
October 1st, 2011, 05:18 PM
Fun game to watch - the offensive line for the Sioux can run block. They ran the ball right at SUU. Passing game is still a work in progress.

But improving....no INT's. HUGE!!!

GoAgs72
October 1st, 2011, 05:23 PM
It could end up UND, USD and SUU fighting for the final Great West conference championship. UC Davis and Cal Poly have been somewhat of a disappointment this year.

bojeta
October 1st, 2011, 05:50 PM
It could end up UND, USD and SUU fighting for the final Great West conference championship. UC Davis and Cal Poly have been somewhat of a disappointment this year.

I wouldn't be too quick to call Cal Poly a disappointment. They were not expected, by anyone, to beat either San Diego State or Northern Illinois and yet they the scored a combined 51 points against them. The Montana game was a bummer, but they did have the lead til late in the 3rd. I'm still confident they can win the Great West and possibly make the playoffs. Davis too, has played a couple of very good FBS teams and shouldn't count themselves out yet. Two more weeks before we'll know for sure though

Hambone
October 1st, 2011, 06:21 PM
Very happy with the performance today. Big first quarter paid dividends. After the questionable Miller fumble, I got very nervous that this game was going to slip away, but they figured out a way to win. UND will crack my top 25 this week, as other than the second half against Idaho (and to a lesser extent the offensive performance against Drake) they have played better than my expectations. I'm really excited for the rest of the conference games - should be a dog fight!

frozennorth
October 1st, 2011, 07:00 PM
Best und win in a while. Let's see if the students notice.

Who am I kidding, its hockey season.

FargoBison
October 1st, 2011, 07:10 PM
Nice win Sioux, you've now earned the top 25 ranking.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 1st, 2011, 09:10 PM
Says the guy who didn't go to the U of Minn game, let alone the amazing tailgating.

Best NDSU tailgating I've ever seen. I was there along with about 13,999 other true NDSU fans at the fairgrounds wearing green.

Go have some more gravy with your fries, eh?

LOL....are you kidding?

You were probably walking around with a Sioux or Gopher shirt on.

Bison/Gopher game was awesome to be at. We cheered louder than the Gopher fans.

Bisonator is more of a Bison fan than you ever thought of being.....

DaveK
October 1st, 2011, 09:41 PM

I don't think it's a shame at all. The Big Sky is a better conference than the Summit/MVFC. Remember, the Big Sky was NDSU's first choice. They settled for the Summit/MVFC only after the Big Sky denied them membership.

frozennorth
October 1st, 2011, 11:17 PM
I don't think it's a shame at all. The Big Sky is a better conference than the Summit/MVFC. Remember, the Big Sky was NDSU's first choice. They settled for the Summit/MVFC only after the Big Sky denied them membership.
...right

USD turned down the big sky for the mfvc/summit, and didn't und get rejected by the summit once? Why did USD get the emergency invite and not UND?

Should call yourself lakessioux or something.

Gil Dobie
October 1st, 2011, 11:23 PM
Congrats Sioux :)

Twentysix
October 2nd, 2011, 12:03 AM
DaveK's signature made me laugh pretty hard.

Nice win though sioux.

DJKyR0
October 2nd, 2011, 12:04 AM

This coming from the guy who described NDSU as a "slightly above average FCS team."

http://chanarchive.com/content/47_vp/6800754/1307919902608.jpg

bincitysioux
October 2nd, 2011, 12:18 AM
I wouldn't be too quick to call Cal Poly a disappointment.

I pegged Cal Poly as #2 in the GWC coming into the season because I thought, and still do, that SUU is real good team this year. But after today, I do like North Dakota's chances of starting Great West play 2-0, just because we have Poly at home, and we match up very well with them.

bincitysioux
October 2nd, 2011, 12:27 AM
...right

USD turned down the big sky for the mfvc/summit, and didn't und get rejected by the summit once? Why did USD get the emergency invite and not UND?

North Dakota got rejected by the Summit the same amount of times that NDSU and SDSU got rejected by the Big Sky.

In the end, North Dakota CHOSE the Big Sky over the Summit. North Dakota and USD had a choice...............something that NDSU and SDSU never had.

Good point though about USD getting the "emergency" invite. As in the last option for the MVFC................

I don't think it matters much though. All the schools involved are happy with their situations....................

Twentysix
October 2nd, 2011, 12:29 AM
North Dakota got rejected by the Summit the same amount of times that NDSU and SDSU got rejected by the Big Sky.

In the end, North Dakota CHOSE the Big Sky over the Summit. North Dakota and USD had a choice...............something that NDSU and SDSU never had.

Good point though about USD getting the "emergency" invite. As in the last option for the MVFC................

I don't think it matters much though. All the schools involved are happy with their situations....................

xconfusedx UND was never getting in, atleast at the time they were picking conferences.

Similar to the NDSU SDSU bigsky situation. But for different reasons. Mostly the nickname.

clenz
October 2nd, 2011, 12:31 AM
Way to go DAKOTA ELITE 1!!!!!

clenz
October 2nd, 2011, 12:32 AM
This coming from the guy who described NDSU as a "slightly above average FCS team."

http://chanarchive.com/content/47_vp/6800754/1307919902608.jpg
Outside of the playoffs last season NDSU has been very average since they joined the MVFC....having yet to finish over .500 in the MVFC.

Twentysix
October 2nd, 2011, 12:47 AM
Outside of the playoffs last season NDSU has been very average since they joined the MVFC....having yet to finish over .500 in the MVFC.

What tune are you going to beat your drum to if we finish over .500? Oh you havent finished better than (5-3, 6-2, 7-1?)

bincitysioux
October 2nd, 2011, 01:04 AM
xconfusedx UND was never getting in, atleast at the time they were picking conferences.

Similar to the NDSU SDSU bigsky situation. But for different reasons. Mostly the nickname.

North Dakota was getting in. They cancelled the Summit's site visit on a Friday, and accepted the Big Sky invite the following Monday. A site visit = invitation.

It was not similar in any way, shape, or form to when NDSU or SDSU were pursuing Big Sky membership. Those schools approached the Big Sky first, were turned down, and then settled for the Summit.

Professor Chaos
October 2nd, 2011, 01:39 AM
North Dakota was getting in. They cancelled the Summit's site visit on a Friday, and accepted the Big Sky invite the following Monday. A site visit = invitation.

It was not similar in any way, shape, or form to when NDSU or SDSU were pursuing Big Sky membership. Those schools approached the Big Sky first, were turned down, and then settled for the Summit.
Congrats buddy, I'm happy for you. As a Bison fan, I'm perfectly satisfied with the Missouri Valley in football and the Summit in all the other spots. It's good to hear you're just as pleased with the Big Sky. I hope you guys win a lot of titles in that conference and maybe we'll see you in the playoffs someday. Until then, argue until your blue in the face about what conference is better and I'm sure you'll feel a lot better about yourself after you've shouted into the wind long enough.

NDB
October 2nd, 2011, 02:29 AM

1. UND applied for but was never offered an invitation to join the Summit - that's a fact.

2. The Summit publicly stated that UND would not be offered an invitation to join UNTIL AFTER it was in compliance with NCAA policy. It's October 2011 and UND is still not in compliance.

3. The Summit doesn't sponsor football. Consequently, the value proposition between joining the Summit and Big Sky are fundamentally different.

4. UND is going to struggle to pay for travel in the Big Sky.

Twentysix
October 2nd, 2011, 03:35 AM
1. UND applied for but was never offered an invitation to join the Summit - that's a fact.

2. The Summit publicly stated that UND would not be offered an invitation to join UNTIL AFTER it was in compliance with NCAA policy. It's October 2011 and UND is still not in compliance.

3. The Summit doesn't sponsor football. Consequently, the value proposition between joining the Summit and Big Sky are fundamentally different.

4. UND is going to struggle to pay for travel in the Big Sky.

I dont know. You are using logic and reasoning. You are gonna scare away the UND fans that are gonna rise out of the woodwork following a victory over a top 25 team.

darell1976
October 2nd, 2011, 04:13 AM
Back to the topic...I hope UND can rest up those that are hurt and get a win against Montana Western then a Bye week before the big stretch of Cal Poly, UC Davis, and USD.

MplsBison
October 2nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
Back to the topic...I hope UND can rest up those that are hurt and get a win against Montana Western then a Bye week before the big stretch of Cal Poly, UC Davis, and USD.

You hope you can get a win against NAIA Montana Western? Come on...starters out at halftime.

MplsBison
October 2nd, 2011, 10:14 AM

Two water cooler type points:

1) the entire league was 4-4 last year, except UNI and whoever was last.

2) NDSU has been #1 in the MVFC in football revenue since they joined, and probably by a significant margin over #2 (assume either UNI or YSU). Yep, it's sure nice being the top "have" program in the league. But don't take my word for it -- just ask coach Klieman xrulesx

MplsBison
October 2nd, 2011, 10:20 AM

MVFC easily wins 6 out 10 (probably more) in a crossover with the Big Sky's top 10 teams (including Poly, Davis, UND and SUU as Big Sky teams and USD as MVFC). I seem to recall the #3 MVFC team going out to Bozeman and curb stomping a certain hapless #2 Big Sky team.

EWU was the best team in the nation last year. Nice to see that they've sustained that success. But then again, who could blame them with the sub-high school stadium they play in and equally high school revenue that the program generates?

Bball is a wash between Summit and Big Sky, even if the Summit loses ORU but keeps Oakland and Indiana schools. If Oakland and IUPU's leave (not that they have an invitation to do so, just saying) then the decision would be a no brainer for UND. Basically a I-29 bus league except WIU and EIU (if I got my wish). Total travel expenses for UND would probably be 1/4 vs being in the Big Sky.

slostang
October 2nd, 2011, 10:28 AM
Congrats UND. Cedar City is not an easy place to win. Makes me feel a little better about playing SUU in SLO in two weeks, but makes me very nervous about traveling to UND in three weeks. Great West should be a real dog fight this year.

frozennorth
October 2nd, 2011, 01:55 PM

This UND person thinks the situation is a joke. Get out of the bigsky, being in it makes no sense.

frozennorth
October 2nd, 2011, 02:04 PM

So, what you are really saying is that the UND administration is collectively retarded. Because that's been my thesis for the last 4+ years. Unless you think joining a competitively equivilent league right in your backyard with 4 of your historic rivals is a bad thing.

SDFS
October 2nd, 2011, 04:36 PM
One big difference between Summit and Big Sky - no football in the Summit and MVFC was not interested in a 4th team from the Dakotas. Big Sky the right choice.

NDB
October 2nd, 2011, 04:53 PM
What choice?

Twentysix
October 2nd, 2011, 04:59 PM
Between the NSIC and the Big Sky.

SDFS
October 2nd, 2011, 05:57 PM
The choice being Summit/Indy Football or Big Sky... I think everyone recognizes no official invitation was given to UND by the Summit League, but what you are ignoring is that a site visit was scheduled and if UND wanted Indy football we would be talking about the Summit League waiting for the State of North Dakota to change the law requiring UND to keep the name. It is only a matter of time and in January the nickname issue should be resolved.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2011/August/North+Dakota+plans+to+retire+nickname

MplsBison
October 2nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
If the Big Sky had not been an option for the Big Sky, UND would have accepted a Summit bid with no league for its football team.

I still think having either a Summit division in the MVFC or a completely independent Summit Football Conference, with a scheduling agreement with MVFC, is a very feasible idea that should be explored further.

Having an independent SFC means that the MVFC essentially is guaranteed 2 auto-bids, so it'd be better I think.

crusader11
October 2nd, 2011, 07:13 PM
NoDak just slipped into my top 25 this week. Nice win over Southern Utah!

LetsGoSioux!
October 2nd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Great win for UND yesterday. They proved that they are a top 25 team.

NDB
October 2nd, 2011, 09:06 PM
If the Big Sky had not been an option for the Big Sky, UND would have accepted a Summit bid with no league for its football team.

What Summit bid?

frozennorth
October 2nd, 2011, 09:36 PM
Great win for UND yesterday. They proved that they are a top 25 team.

I wouldn't go that far, but they can finally be voted for with legitimacy.

LakesBison
October 2nd, 2011, 10:01 PM
suu must be jekyl and hyde, a really bad sdsu team beats them, then they catch unlv on a tough night, then its 20+ winds at cedar city saturday which affected their passing game vs _ _ _ . _ _ _ still hasnt beaten anyone as suu will finish 5-6 i would guess

darell1976
October 2nd, 2011, 10:26 PM
suu must be jekyl and hyde, a really bad sdsu team beats them, then they catch unlv on a tough night, then its 20+ winds at cedar city saturday which affected their passing game vs _ _ _ . _ _ _ still hasnt beaten anyone as suu will finish 5-6 i would guess

SUU really shot themselves in the foot during the game. A couple Personal Fouls for late hits, instead of taking a field goal before the half they go for it on 4th and 1....and it failed. UND jumping out to a 9-0 lead on a safety (ball going through the punter's hands, and a touchdown) really set the momentum. UND held on as SUU did drive down the field luckily it was picked in the endzone.

LakesBison
October 2nd, 2011, 11:06 PM
yea from the sounds of it, they did shot themselves in the foot. If your team didnt play 2 naia teams and 2 d2 schools you'd be 2-9 im guessing with suu being a win and maybe davis or south dakota.
plus playing in front of a crowd of 4823 favors your team as well, since they are used to playing in that kind of environment?

MplsBison
October 2nd, 2011, 11:17 PM

Good to see that NDSU freshmen undergrads still know what the rivalry with UND is and still have the same old tasteful disdain for "that school up north".

This is pleasing indeed - means there's still a reason to fight for the rivalry to resume. It's not dead - like Bisonator, et al want desperately for everyone to think.

gjw007
October 3rd, 2011, 02:40 AM
yea from the sounds of it, they did shot themselves in the foot. If your team didnt play 2 naia teams and 2 d2 schools you'd be 2-9 im guessing with suu being a win and maybe davis or south dakota.
plus playing in front of a crowd of 4823 favors your team as well, since they are used to playing in that kind of environment?

I have never understood the need for LakesBison University fans to be so interested in the University of North Dakota. Makes you wonder why they didn't go to UND.

darell1976
October 3rd, 2011, 04:01 AM

First of all we average over 8000 fans, we have 3 NAIA/DII teams not 4 and who says we couldn't beat other FCS teams that are not in our conference. Please explain your 2-9 theory.

Twentysix
October 3rd, 2011, 04:09 AM
First of all we average over 8000 fans, we have 3 NAIA/DII teams not 4 and who says we couldn't beat other FCS teams that are not in our conference. Please explain your 2-9 theory.

My guess is he just hates your school lol. Your attendance numbers are horribly inflated btw. You dont have to pull anyones leg. All 100 students that went to the BHSU game..

I think UND would do better than 2-9 but I do agree if they were playoff eligible this year they would not make it to 7 DI wins with 2 FBS games and 4 non counters. I am unsure how many FCS teams have knocked off two FBS teams in one season. I know NDSU has done it, but I doubt to many more have, atleast recently.

darell1976
October 3rd, 2011, 04:18 AM
My guess is he just hates your school lol. Your attendance numbers are horribly inflated btw. You dont have to pull anyones leg. All 100 students that went to the BHSU game..

I think UND would do better than 2-9 but I do agree if they were playoff eligible this year they would not make it to 7 DI wins with 2 FBS games and 4 non counters. I am unsure how many FCS teams have knocked off two FBS teams in one season. I know NDSU has done it, but I doubt to many more have, atleast recently.

At least this is the last time UND will play 2 FBS teams in a season...they have 1 next year and none in 2013.

TheBisonator
October 3rd, 2011, 06:59 AM
Good to see that NDSU freshmen undergrads still know what the rivalry with UND is and still have the same old tasteful disdain for "that school up north".

This is pleasing indeed - means there's still a reason to fight for the rivalry to resume. It's not dead - like Bisonator, et al want desperately for everyone to think.

Oh, please....

bincitysioux
October 3rd, 2011, 08:03 AM
Your attendance numbers are horribly inflated btw. You dont have to pull anyones leg.

Yeah, too bad we don't use that "actual head count" thing like NDSU does.....................xrolleyesx

nodak43
October 3rd, 2011, 09:14 AM
I don't post here all that often, but I'm a UND grad/fan and a North Dakota native (meaning that I'm all in for NDSU when the two schools aren't playing). I just do not see why NDSU fans are posting on a UND GAME THREAD trying to minimize/belittle UND's win. It smells of insecurity to me, which I see absolutely no reason for! NDSU has a great team this year...and all of you Bison fans should enjoy it! The Bison proved more this weekend in my opinion than they did the week before by being able to beat a conference opponent while not playing at their best. Everything I see points to a deep playoff run by the Bison, and I will be pullin for the Herd more than anyone.

Is NDSU the superior football team in ND right now...ABSOLUTELY! They've proven that over the past seven plus years. However, I find it funny that once UND FINALLY starts showing something on the field, certain NDSU fans on this board (as well as at SS and B'ville) do whatever they can to put the program down. When the Bison beat the Gophers, I didn't see Sioux fans belittling that win. I just don't get why NDSU fans have so much animosity towards UND...

With NDSU and UND going to different conferences, it is possible to have two good programs in the state. I just cringe every time I come on a site like this and see the petty bickering that makes us laughable to the other fanbases of FCS.

Ok...rant over, I'm sorry guys! To try and bring this back, I thought UND did an excellent job at taking away SUU's vertical passing game and not breaking in the red zone! Hopefully UND can use the game next week to find some consistency in the vertical/play action passing game in order to find a little balance for the GW conference games.

frozennorth
October 3rd, 2011, 09:15 AM
Yeah, too bad we don't use that "actual head count" thing like NDSU does.....................xrolleyesx

Normally just a quick glance will tell you the fargodome is full and the alerus is half empty.

darell1976
October 3rd, 2011, 09:42 AM
I don't post here all that often, but I'm a UND grad/fan and a North Dakota native (meaning that I'm all in for NDSU when the two schools aren't playing). I just do not see why NDSU fans are posting on a UND GAME THREAD trying to minimize/belittle UND's win. It smells of insecurity to me, which I see absolutely no reason for! NDSU has a great team this year...and all of you Bison fans should enjoy it! The Bison proved more this weekend in my opinion than they did the week before by being able to beat a conference opponent while not playing at their best. Everything I see points to a deep playoff run by the Bison, and I will be pullin for the Herd more than anyone.

Is NDSU the superior football team in ND right now...ABSOLUTELY! They've proven that over the past seven plus years. However, I find it funny that once UND FINALLY starts showing something on the field, certain NDSU fans on this board (as well as at SS and B'ville) do whatever they can to put the program down. When the Bison beat the Gophers, I didn't see Sioux fans belittling that win. I just don't get why NDSU fans have so much animosity towards UND...

With NDSU and UND going to different conferences, it is possible to have two good programs in the state. I just cringe every time I come on a site like this and see the petty bickering that makes us laughable to the other fanbases of FCS.

Ok...rant over, I'm sorry guys! To try and bring this back, I thought UND did an excellent job at taking away SUU's vertical passing game and not breaking in the red zone! Hopefully UND can use the game next week to find some consistency in the vertical/play action passing game in order to find a little balance for the GW conference games.

Nice post.....it just proves the rivalry although is quiet on the field is still all reved up off the field on the message boards. NDSU hates UND and UND hates NDSU. It doesn't matter what conference we are in nothing will change that.

biggame
October 3rd, 2011, 09:49 AM
The problem with NDSU fans is that they tend to have a selective memory about most things and most of them do everything possible to avoid using logic in comments on the message boards.

frozennorth is the most negative "fan" I have ever come across, and this is coming from someone that is pretty negative in my evaluation of UND football. Some might think you aren't even a UND fan at all...

LetsGoSioux!
October 3rd, 2011, 10:17 AM
The problem with NDSU fans is that they tend to have a selective memory about most things and most of them do everything possible to avoid using logic in comments on the message boards.

frozennorth is the most negative "fan" I have ever come across, and this is coming from someone that is pretty negative in my evaluation of UND football. Some might think you aren't even a UND fan at all...

Exactly. frozennorth is obviously not a UND fan. For all of the time he/she spends on this site, writing apathetic (and pathetic) statements about UND football, it just doesn't add up.

frozennorth
October 3rd, 2011, 11:06 AM

I haven't exactly had a lot to root for during my time here. I don't have anything against the athletics department other than that I loathe hockey, and I think the AD and president are way out of their league. I briefly became very enthusiastic prior to the summit site visit, but we all know how that worked out.

I wanted to get the bigtime school expirience when I went to school. Turned out that the moo-u taunts applied more to und than ndsu. Realistically, I shouldn't have gone to either. Ndsu was the hometown team growing up, and the only football team in the state worth mentioning during my time in college.

As far as fan bases go, UND has the most deranged group in sports. The alums and hockey 24/7 types think they are hot **** because und had 5 pretty good years of football (2001-2005) and are good in a sport noone outside of grandforks, minneapolis, madison, ann arbor and east lansing cares about.

Good win, way to not blow it, but preseason I said I didn't think anyone in the gwfc deserved to be ranked, and I expect that to hold for the year. At least UND isn't the worst team in the dakotas anymore.

DaveK
October 3rd, 2011, 12:50 PM
If all of what you spewed was true, then please explain to me why the Summit/MVFC was NDSU's 2nd choice? Those without selective memories will clearly recall the Bison being all gung-ho for the Big Sky before they realized they weren't getting invited to join and had to settle for the Summit/MVFC. My guess is that you guys are just jealous that we got into the conference you couldn't get into, so now you're trying to spin it that your 2nd choice backup plan is actually superior to your original desire.

frozennorth
October 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
If all of what you spewed was true, then please explain to me why the Summit/MVFC was NDSU's 2nd choice? Those without selective memories will clearly recall the Bison being all gung-ho for the Big Sky before they realized they weren't getting invited to join and had to settle for the Summit/MVFC. My guess is that you guys are just jealous that we got into the conference you couldn't get into, so now you're trying to spin it that your 2nd choice backup plan is actually superior to your original desire.

So is what your doing just a rationalization of UND being rejected by the summit mvfc? Situtations changed a lot over 6 years. Anyone with a functional brainstem can tell the the summit/mvfc would be a much better choice for UND. Sorry that you are too blind to see this.

Edit: I'm going to expand on this a bit. When ndsu and sdsu made the move, they had no rivals in the summit, had been in the ncc with uni 25 years prior, and had some expirience with some of the big sky teams, and the gwfc showed no interest in expansion.

5 years later, the summit is basically the new NCC. 4 of unds oldest rivals are in the summit, as well as 3 in the mvfc. Add to the former ncc rival uni. Clealry the correct choice was to join a conference on the other side of the continent.

biggame
October 3rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
UND has had a lot more than five good years of football, not to go to far back but UND pretty much owned the Bison in the 90's. Every fanbase has idiots, UND has some but not half of what some schools have and most of those are UND hockey fans. I surprised going to UND you didn't realize you were going to a hockey school, but I will agree the fans haven't been as good as I would like during the transition.

The Big Sky was a better option than the Summit because it didn't include all sports and didn't look like the MVFC would let UND in. They changed quickly with USD because they likely would have lost them to the Big Sky otherwise. USD is in the right place for who they have been recruiting and UND is in the right place for the kids they have been recruiting. I always thought the Big Sky a better option but being with the other Dakota schools would have made the Summit/MVFC a good option but the MVFC was never on the table for UND.

Go Bison
October 3rd, 2011, 01:04 PM

I wasn't going to comment on this thread until this post. Yes, NDSU applied for the Big Sky but that was before MVFC was even an option. At the time it was Summit/Great West. It was when Western Kentucky left the MVFC then that conference was a option. Getting into the Valley for football was a big deal. Honestly, it was a blessing in disguise that NDSU didn't get into the Big Sky conference. Funny how USD got invited to both and they choose Summit/MVFC. How do you explain that one?

F'N Hawks
October 3rd, 2011, 01:05 PM
So is what your doing just a rationalization of UND being rejected by the summit mvfc? Situtations changed a lot over 6 years. Anyone with a functional brainstem can tell the the summit/mvfc would be a much better choice for UND. Sorry that you are too blind to see this.

You obviously have no idea of how it went down with the Summit league. UND was 100% in the league and the site visit was the formality that needs to take place for it to progress. Douple had already been on UND's campus. But, he could not guarantee a spot in the MVFC which is why Faison was working with the Big Sky also. Out of respect, he cancelled the site visit by Douple because of the Big Sky pulling the trigger on UND.

Also, the lamest thing you can ever do on a message board is act like your a fan of another team you hate. You talk about NDSU and the Summit constantly but go to UND - right. Weak Sauce.

F'N Hawks
October 3rd, 2011, 01:06 PM
I wasn't going to comment on this thread until this post. Yes, NDSU applied for the Big Sky but that was before MVFC was even an option. At the time it was Summit/Great West. It was when Western Kentucky left the MVFC then that conference was a option. Getting into the Valley for football was a big deal. Honestly, it was a blessing in disguise that NDSU didn't get into the Big Sky conference. Funny how USD got invited to both and they choose Summit/MVFC. How do you explain that one?

USD was not invited into the MVFC until UND went to the Big Sky. They then saw the writing on the wall that USD was going to go too and quickly acted to protect themselves in the future. It was a good move but was not calculated whatsoever.

Go Bison
October 3rd, 2011, 01:10 PM
USD was not invited into the MVFC until UND went to the Big Sky. They then saw the writing on the wall that USD was going to go too and quickly acted to protect themselves in the future. It was a good move but was not calculated whatsoever.

Correct me if I am wrong but USD could still have gone to the Big Sky. So USD decided that Summit/MVFC was better than the Big Sky option.

F'N Hawks
October 3rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Yes, correct.

My point is that option was not on the table for UND because MVFC was not going to expand until UND went to the Big Sky. Then, Patty got alarmed and offered it to USD.

semobison
October 3rd, 2011, 01:13 PM

Somewhat accurate post! Both sides have a few knuckleheads! I just dont understand some of my fellow Bison posters who post crap on EVERY thread that has ANYTHING to do with UND. You do make our fanbase look like idiots! Let it go, go pick on UNI, right now they are my least favorite team, and we do actually get to play them!

Go Bison
October 3rd, 2011, 01:13 PM
Yes, correct.

My point is that option was not on the table for UND because MVFC was not going to expand until UND went to the Big Sky. Then, Patty got alarmed and offered it to USD.

Sounds good. By the way, it was a nice win for the Sioux and this Bison fans says congrats.

nodak43
October 3rd, 2011, 01:16 PM
My god...judging by the back and forth in this thread this morning...I think both teams need to play each other again...if for no other reason than to stop the petty bickering and dick measuring that fans on both sides are going into. By all accounts, UND is happy to be in the Big Sky, and by all accounts, NDSU is happy in the Summit/MVFC...Why do we have to knock the respective conferences. Both the MVFC and the Big Sky have storied histories in FCS, and I think that both UND and NDSU should be happy to have the home that they have.

F'N Hawks
October 3rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
Sounds good. By the way, it was a nice win for the Sioux and this Bison fans says congrats.

If there could have been one more team available for football, the MVFC could have gone to 12 with USD, UND and one other team. Too bad.

frozennorth
October 3rd, 2011, 02:35 PM
UND has had a lot more than five good years of football, not to go to far back but UND pretty much owned the Bison in the 90's. Every fanbase has idiots, UND has some but not half of what some schools have and most of those are UND hockey fans. I surprised going to UND you didn't realize you were going to a hockey school, but I will agree the fans haven't been as good as I would like during the transition.

The Big Sky was a better option than the Summit because it didn't include all sports and didn't look like the MVFC would let UND in. They changed quickly with USD because they likely would have lost them to the Big Sky otherwise. USD is in the right place for who they have been recruiting and UND is in the right place for the kids they have been recruiting. I always thought the Big Sky a better option but being with the other Dakota schools would have made the Summit/MVFC a good option but the MVFC was never on the table for UND.

Und wasn't a one sport school when I got here, but things were quickly shifting that way, which I didn't notice.

I'm a 4th generation UND student (though my dad finished at ndsu) so going there was expected.

Being independent in football was an option. So was D2.

I'm still not convinced that the mfvc wasnt an option for UND, after all it wasn't an option for USD until the day they were admitted.

frozennorth
October 3rd, 2011, 02:41 PM
My god...judging by the back and forth in this thread this morning...I think both teams need to play each other again...if for no other reason than to stop the petty bickering and dick measuring that fans on both sides are going into. By all accounts, UND is happy to be in the Big Sky, and by all accounts, NDSU is happy in the Summit/MVFC...Why do we have to knock the respective conferences. Both the MVFC and the Big Sky have storied histories in FCS, and I think that both UND and NDSU should be happy to have the home that they have.

This would probably get worse by an order of magnitude. I can't imagine all the bandwagon/fairweather sioux fans that would show up to gloat if UND managed to win a game. They would be like iowa state or michigan state or texas A&M fans on steroids after wins over their rivals.

Twentysix
October 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
Oh god, they beat SUU and now their are 11 UND fans instead of 1. Whats going to happen when they beat montana next year even if montana goes 2-9? 300 UND fans?

And most bison fans said congrats. (Remeber SDSUcks this year and they beat SUU..) If the game for the nickel was played this bickering situation would be 1000 fold. Its quite possible the internet would break.

F'N Hawks
October 3rd, 2011, 02:54 PM
Oh god, they beat SUU and now their are 11 UND fans instead of 1. Whats going to happen when they beat montana next year even if montana goes 2-9? 300 UND fans?

Right, and there isn't 10x as many Bison fans on here as the last couple years. Starting every thread possible about topics from attendance to tailgating, etc.

nodak43
October 3rd, 2011, 03:04 PM
What I meant to say was that it would be nice for NDSU and UND fans to focus their hatred of the other school on a football game...rather than on every little thing the other institution does/gets/etc...Sorry for the lack of clarity in my last post (it's a Monday, afterall).

And btw 26...I've been a member of this board for two years longer than you, I just haven't posted very often before today (I'm going to try and and post more so that I can become eligble to be a pollster next year). I follow this board quite a bit in order to keep up with FCS football outside of the Dakotas...I'm not just some fly by night Sioux fan.

frozennorth
October 3rd, 2011, 03:36 PM
Right, and there isn't 10x as many Bison fans on here as the last couple years. Starting every thread possible about topics from attendance to tailgating, etc.

NDSU has a large, vocal, dedicated and demanding football fan base, possibly amongst the top 5 (in bulk) in the FCS. UND does not. It should be expected then that NDSU fans are pretty vocal.

Twentysix
October 3rd, 2011, 03:37 PM

NDSU has like 20 people that post on this board. Ask them how many their were in 2007...NDSU's online presence has shrunk considerably which is a good thing..

darell1976
October 3rd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Well...interesting posts on UND's win over SUU. Thank you NDSU for kind words on the win, and its nice to see Sioux fans coming out of the woodwork to post their 2 cents on the win. I agree with Twentysix if UND beats Montana I think we may see more and more Sioux fans on this board posting...which IMO is a good thing!!

darell1976
October 3rd, 2011, 04:04 PM
Und wasn't a one sport school when I got here, but things were quickly shifting that way, which I didn't notice.

I'm a 4th generation UND student (though my dad finished at ndsu) so going there was expected.

I'm still not convinced that the mfvc wasnt an option for UND, after all it wasn't an option for USD until the day they were admitted.

Here is your proof that UND was not an option:
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/article_a76f88ac-e871-11df-b0ea-001cc4c002e0.html

Viverito admitted that the nine-team MVFC only became interested in South Dakota after realizing the school could be added by itself to bring the conference to 10 teams.

"As early as August, we had some serious conversations about expansion looking at a 12-team format," Viverito said. "The thought was that North Dakota, South Dakota and Southern Utah would all be looking for homes."

But when it became clear that Southern Utah was more interested in the Big Sky, Viverito said the MVFC's university presidents soured on the idea of expansion. (On Monday, Southern Utah and North Dakota announced they were joining in the Big Sky).

"There was no support about abandoning an optimum nine-team league in favor of an 11-team model, which has challenges," Viverito said. "The 10-team model, on the other hand, was one we were willing to consider."

Two of the schools currently on board with the MVFC are South Dakota State and North Dakota State, which compete in the conference for football and the Summit League for all other sports. South Dakota, which has not played tradition rival SDSU since 2004, will now have the same arrangement with both conferences.

At this point, Viverito said her league is not interested in adding North Dakota.

Now the lone Dakota school left out of the Missouri Valley and Summit League, UND athletic director Brian Faison said things have changed since the school agreed to join the Big Sky Monday, but not enough to sap the excitement level in Grand Forks.

"We knew all along that South Dakota had some issues they needed to get cleared up internally," Faison said. "Our interest was never paired with theirs."

While Faison said "it would have certainly been nice" to have South Dakota in the Big Sky and that "it's really too early to quantify" what UND fans think, he reaffirmed that "the Big Sky is still where North Dakota wants to be."

Twentysix
October 3rd, 2011, 04:07 PM
UND is one thing but wow SUU would have been terrible for the MVFC.

Maybe if they were southern nebraska... but UTAH? You kidding me?

darell1976
October 3rd, 2011, 04:12 PM
UND is one thing but wow SUU would have been terrible for the MVFC.

Maybe if they were southern nebraska... but UTAH? You kidding me?

Probably because SUU is a Summit member, and UND was having a site visit. IMO Douple was having the site visit because the NCAA deadline (Nov 30, 2010) was coming up and knew the nickname issue was going to be over by the time UND joined.

Twentysix
October 3rd, 2011, 04:14 PM
Probably because SUU is a Summit member, and UND was having a site visit. IMO Douple was having the site visit because the NCAA deadline (Nov 30, 2010) was coming up and knew the nickname issue was going to be over by the time UND joined.

Cause its totally over and its nearly nov 30 2011.. You would owe like a million dollars if that was an overdue movie at blockbuster.

darell1976
October 3rd, 2011, 04:34 PM
Cause its totally over and its nearly nov 30 2011.. You would owe like a million dollars if that was an overdue movie at blockbuster.

Hopefully...and I do mean hopefully it will be over next month when the state law is repealed. UND did announce it will be gone by December 31, 2011. Lets just hope 2012 is a new beginning in Sioux sports from the nickname to a new conference.

MplsBison
October 3rd, 2011, 05:26 PM

Settle for the MVFC? Dream on - the MVFC was not an option for NDSU or SDSU. You don't remember when we founded the Great West - literally from nothing - and gave it over to UND and USD?

NDSU and SDSU only got to go to the MVFC much later one, when space opened up.

biggame
October 3rd, 2011, 06:10 PM

Really, it was a one sport school when I attended UND but football had pretty good support as well. It was clear that UND was a hockey school first and anything else took a backseat.

dakotadan
October 3rd, 2011, 07:21 PM
UND has an extremely active fan board, probably one of the most active of FCS schools. Alot of UND fans have stopped posting on other message boards such as this due to the fact that every time UND is discussed, bison trolls appear from everywhere. This thread is a perfect example. I read this board all of the time. I just choose to keep my distance because everything ends up in a pissing match with bison trolls. And lately, even UND's fan forum has been inundated with bison fans.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 3rd, 2011, 07:46 PM
UND has an extremely active fan board, probably one of the most active of FCS schools. Alot of UND fans have stopped posting on other message boards such as this due to the fact that every time UND is discussed, bison trolls appear from everywhere. This thread is a perfect example. I read this board all of the time. I just choose to keep my distance because everything ends up in a pissing match with bison trolls. And lately, even UND's fan forum has been inundated with bison fans.

Oh, cry me a river.

All schools have their trolls including UND.

dakotadan
October 3rd, 2011, 08:15 PM
Oh, cry me a river.

All schools have their trolls including UND.
Thanks for proving my point.

SDFS
October 3rd, 2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks for proving my point.

Agreed.... Sioux Sports is nuts right now with all the Bison trolls on the football threads.. they keep saying they moved on.. I wish they would...

darell1976
October 3rd, 2011, 09:57 PM
Agreed.... Sioux Sports is nuts right now with all the Bison trolls on the football threads.. they keep saying they moved on.. I wish they would...

Have you been to Bisonville...there is a thread called "Another Thread About UND!!!", because all Bisonville talks about is UND this and UND that. Some in their own fanbase is fed up with it. Its funny as hell!!!

bincitysioux
October 3rd, 2011, 10:17 PM
;)
Funny how USD got invited to both and they choose Summit/MVFC. How do you explain that one?

Well, first you have to consider that USD was the only school that got invited to both conferences. UND was invited to the Summit, not the MVFC. If UND had been invited to both, I think they would have taken that road rather than the Big Sky both for economical and rivalry reasons, but personally (just my preference) I'm glad they chose the Big Sky. I say that not because I think lowly of the MVFC, I think it is a great league, top 3 FCS for sure along with the Big Sky and CAA. I say it because I do think much less of the Summit than the Big Sky. The Summit is feeder league of which every current member wishes they could move to a different conference at some point.

Moving on to USD's choice of Summit/MVFC over Big Sky............USD is the smallest, least funded, and least supported of the 4 Dakota schools. You think UND is going to have a problem with Big Sky travel? It would have killed USD. They took a bus to North Carolina to play a DII school a couple years ago for crying out loud. USD is a basketball school, and with Sioux Falls as the apparent epicenter of Summit basketball for the foreseeable future, that is very appealing to them. They seem to be very attached to competing with SDSU. Remember, they were one of the 4 schools that originally supported the NCC moving as a whole to DI. Why? Because they wanted to continue to associate with SDSU, and because they knew they would be screwed trying to move up by themselves. Lastly, they would have had to have paid a substantial exit fee to the Summit without ever having played a game in it.

North Dakota has had its own vision for this move to DI. They never "partnered" with USD like NDSU and SDSU did. Remember, we are not a member of the Dakota Big 3................

darell1976
October 3rd, 2011, 10:20 PM
;)

Well, first you have to consider that USD was the only school that got invited to both conferences. UND was invited to the Summit, not the MVFC. If UND had been invited to both, I think they would have taken that road rather than the Big Sky both for economical and rivalry reasons, but personally (just my preference) I'm glad they chose the Big Sky. I say that not because I think lowly of the MVFC, I think it is a great league, top 3 FCS for sure along with the Big Sky and CAA. I say it because I do think much less of the Summit than the Big Sky. The Summit is feeder league of which every current member wishes they could move to a different conference at some point.

Moving on to USD's choice of Summit/MVFC over Big Sky............USD is the smallest, least funded, and least supported of the 4 Dakota schools. You think UND is going to have a problem with Big Sky travel? It would have killed USD. They took a bus to North Carolina to play a DII school a couple years ago for crying out loud. USD is a basketball school, and with Sioux Falls as the apparent epicenter of Summit basketball for the foreseeable future, that is very appealing to them. They seem to be very attached to competing with SDSU. Remember, they were one of the 4 schools that originally supported the NCC moving as a whole to DI. Why? Because they wanted to continue to associate with SDSU, and because they knew they would be screwed trying to move up by themselves. Lastly, they would have had to have paid a substantial exit fee to the Summit without ever having played a game in it.

North Dakota has had its own vision for this move to DI. They never "partnered" with USD like NDSU and SDSU did. Remember, we are not a member of the Dakota Big 3................

Just the sole memeber of the Elite Dakota 1!!

SDFS
October 3rd, 2011, 10:38 PM
Why would I go to Bisonville? I have been checking out some of the Big Sky sites.. looking forward to next year.

Twentysix
October 4th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Oh dakotadan you know just what I love.

If Doug Fullerton wants to truely be a progressive leader and build up the Big Sky Conference to be 1 of the top conferences in the west, maybe he needs to work out a deal with the WAC to get SJSU, Idaho, UM, MSU, UND, whoever as FBS football only affiliates of the WAC in a North Division.

The one time i ventured to SS I found this gem, posted by you. I totally agree though, but you should leave UM and MSU behind.

johnson
October 4th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Just the sole memeber of the Elite Dakota 1!!
Can we please leave this crap over on cs.com. Leave this board for the adults who want to have a mature discussion. Go back to cs.com if you want to continue on with the JBB crap. We do notice you're two different people between the two boards. Don't confuse this one with the one for unstable adults.

darell1976
October 4th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Can we please leave this crap over on cs.com. Leave this board for the adults who want to have a mature discussion. Go back to cs.com if you want to continue on with the JBB crap. We do notice you're two different people between the two boards. Don't confuse this one with the one for unstable adults.

My reply was a reference to bigcitysioux's post of the Dakota Big 3, it was a joke. Why not take your NDSU self off this thread. It has nothing to do with you.

MplsBison
October 4th, 2011, 08:17 AM
;)

No doubt Big Sky basketball is something to be revered in the world of DI athletics. But with facilities like "The Nest", you can see why they attract some of the top DI bball talent in the nation:

http://www.hornetsports.com/userfiles/image/Mens_Basketball/Nest1011%201.jpg

That's DI basketball!

You can think whatever you want about Big Sky vs Summit bball, using whatever emotionally contrived basis you want. But lets get one thing straight: both are squarely low major conferences who will never -- ever -- get more than one team into the tournament so long as it's around 60-something teams. They're rated roughly the same every year.

NDB
October 4th, 2011, 08:18 AM
;)

Well, first you have to consider that USD was the only school that got invited to both conferences. UND was invited to the Summit...

That's not true.

johnson
October 4th, 2011, 09:24 AM
My reply was a reference to bigcitysioux's post of the Dakota Big 3, it was a joke. Why not take your NDSU self off this thread. It has nothing to do with you.
I realize it was a joke but that is all it takes to start the mess that is cs.com right now. I think you should take your own advice when posting in threads not related to your school.

TheBisonator
October 4th, 2011, 04:03 PM
No doubt Big Sky basketball is something to be revered in the world of DI athletics. But with facilities like "The Nest", you can see why they attract some of the top DI bball talent in the nation:

http://www.hornetsports.com/userfiles/image/Mens_Basketball/Nest1011%201.jpg

That's DI basketball!

You can think whatever you want about Big Sky vs Summit bball, using whatever emotionally contrived basis you want. But lets get one thing straight: both are squarely low major conferences who will never -- ever -- get more than one team into the tournament so long as it's around 60-something teams. They're rated roughly the same every year.

Don't forget the Stott Center, where Portland State plays:

http://soobumimphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Soobumim-Photography-_-IMG_0778-Edit.jpg

(Nice dunk)

It looks very similar to the gym of my old high school. And I didn't go to a very good high school (athletics wise).

darell1976
October 4th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Who cares about basketball arenas between the Summit and Big Sky.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/bdf2030046a3609298bddcc110a6426c/2011_NCAA_mens_basketball_attendance.pdf?MOD=AJPER ES&CACHEID=bdf2030046a3609298bddcc110a6426c

Big Sky attendance average: 2288
Summit attendance average: 2212

TheBisonator
October 4th, 2011, 04:57 PM

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/bdf2030046a3609298bddcc110a6426c/2011_NCAA_mens_basketball_attendance.pdf?MOD=AJPER ES&CACHEID=bdf2030046a3609298bddcc110a6426c

2011-12 Summit teams attendance in 2010-11:

4,130 - Oakland
3,369 - Oral Roberts
3,305 - North Dakota State
2,503 - South Dakota State
2,315 - Southern Utah
1,975 - IPFW
1,454 - South Dakota
1,327 - UMKC
1,252 - IUPUI
759 - Western Illinois

(Centenary had 581)

2011-12 Big Sky teams attendance in 2010-11 (same teams):

5,827 - Weber State
3,996 - Montana
3,228 - Montana State
2,261 - Northern Colorado
1,921 - Idaho State
1,101 - Eastern Washington
962 - Portland State
747 - Northern Arizona
677 - Sacramento State

frozennorth
October 4th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Those would be subpar facilities for fargo highschool sports.

MplsBison
October 4th, 2011, 05:47 PM
2011-12 Summit teams attendance in 2010-11:

4,130 - Oakland
3,369 - Oral Roberts
3,305 - North Dakota State
2,315 - Southern Utah
1,975 - IPFW
1,454 - South Dakota
1,327 - UMKC
1,252 - IUPUI
759 - Western Illinois

(Centenary had 581)

2011-12 Big Sky teams attendance in 2010-11 (same teams):

5,827 - Weber State
3,996 - Montana
3,228 - Montana State
2,261 - Northern Colorado
1,921 - Idaho State
1,101 - Eastern Washington
962 - Portland State
747 - Northern Arizona
677 - Sacramento State

You missed SDSU - 2503 avg.

MplsBison
October 4th, 2011, 05:53 PM

Bincity cares. There's no other valid comparison between the Summit and Big Sky than MBB, so that's the discussion he wanted. And there's not much to discuss: both near the bottom of the DI barrel with little opportunity to move significantly upward.

But that suits NDSU just fine, it provides the teams a realistic chance to obtain an automatic birth to the NCAA DI tournament in each sport and also provides individual & "team" title opportunities for the individual sports (golf, XC, track and if we ever get tennis and swimming).

LakesBison
October 4th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I will tell all of you message board people, no one, and I mean no one in my classes or on campus this fall have even mentioned und. Hasnt it been like 8 years, I was 10 years old. The Gopher game, homecoming, UNI & playoffs are what we talk about when sports comes up in conversations
but see the und fans clammoring on here, its comical.
especially when your own chief on here has this in his tagline. "3-2 vs Montana Western (NAIA)"

darell1976
October 4th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I will tell all of you message board people, no one, and I mean no one in my classes or on campus this fall have even mentioned und. Hasnt it been like 8 years, I was 10 years old. The Gopher game, homecoming, UNI & playoffs are what we talk about when sports comes up in conversations
especially when your own chief on here has this in his tagline. "3-2 vs Montana Western (NAIA)"

Just wait until Jan. 17th, because if UND beats NDSU in basketball (just like they did in Volleyball) there will be more talk about UND than you claim is non-existant. And UND fans clammoring on here....this thread is titled North Dakota at Southern Utah..where do you fit in with your BS comments. I accept NDSU fans giving their 2 cents about the game and I know we got a little off-topic but you have said nothing but insults. So just move yourself over to either an NDSU thread or Bisonville.

SDFS
October 4th, 2011, 08:32 PM

Looks like one person in your class cares.. as he posts in a UND game thread saying no one cares.. if you are going to claim that everyone is moving on - please do and spare everyone.

bojeta
October 4th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Those would be subpar facilities for fargo highschool sports.

I'm not a big basketball fan so I'm not claiming to know a great facility, but I just saw this photo of a group of Big Sky basketball courts and it looks like some decent digs to me.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/all-gyms.jpg

Twentysix
October 4th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Weber has a nice looking arena!

The mabee center is by far the niceest arena in the summit.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4963/mabeecenter.png

NDB
October 5th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcwk2zQOkF1qae0wzo1_500.png

darell1976
October 5th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Weber has a nice looking arena!

The mabee center is by far the niceest arena in the summit.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4963/mabeecenter.png

After a few more $$$$ you will say this is the nicest arena in the Summit.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/ndsu-bison-sports-arena.jpg

biggame
October 5th, 2011, 10:15 AM

OK, then why do NDSU fans highjack almost every thread related to UND football?

Ginsbach
October 5th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I'm not a big basketball fan so I'm not claiming to know a great facility, but I just saw this photo of a group of Big Sky basketball courts and it looks like some decent digs to me.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/all-gyms.jpg

The ISU basketball court feels really small and cramped when you're on it.

The majority of NDSU fans on these boards are alumni - they went to the school back when the UND/NDSU rivalry was huge.

BisonBohl
October 5th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Congrats to UND on the win!

gjw007
October 5th, 2011, 03:30 PM
The majority of NDSU fans on these boards are alumni - they went to the school back when the UND/NDSU rivalry was huge.

I think the rivalry is still high, just not played on the field. I do get tired of the continuous pissing contest between LakesBison University and UND fans though.

LetsGoSioux!
October 5th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Imagine if UND and NDSU were actually playing each other! FCS fans, you are seeing just a sample of this rivalry right now, it would be nice to have it back, but it doesn't sound promising. We might have to rely on the playoffs, and the occasional regular season contest. Doesn't make sense.

DaveK
October 5th, 2011, 07:10 PM

I think it's mostly due to the fact that their team lost the final Nickel Trophy game. Had the Bison defeated the Sioux in 2003 I suspect that their fanbase would have a much easier time making good on their promise to "move on" and "leave us in the past". But the fact that they did not get the last laugh in the once great D2 rivalry left a nasty scar that they will never get over, and honestly I can understand where they're coming from. I know I'd feel the same way if the Sioux had lost that game.

Ginsbach
October 5th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I think the rivalry is still high, just not played on the field. I do get tired of the continuous pissing contest between LakesBison University and UND fans though.

I would agree the rivalry is still present but not with the current student populations at either school. This is especially true for the newer or out of state students - they really don't have much of an idea of what the rivalry used to be. For those of us who grew up in eastern North Dakota or had family members that went to either school, yeah, there's still that innate dislike of the other school in the state. There are many current students who have no idea why or to what extent the Bison hate the Sioux and vice versa.

When I was teaching labs during my last semester at NDSU, students would wear Sioux stuff to class and no one would say anything. According to my friend who was in a similar position at UND at the time, he would have students wearing Bison apparel and no one batted an eye. Many of my friends' younger siblings don't seem to know or care too much either. I know of one who goes to UND but makes it to most Bison home football games. I know of several that go to NDSU yet watch UND hockey games. While the rivalry lives on in those of us who grew up with it (which constitutes most of the posters on this board) many of the current students will not reach that level of animosity and borderline hatred until the two schools start scheduling each other on a regular basis.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 5th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Have you been to Bisonville...there is a thread called "Another Thread About UND!!!", because all Bisonville talks about is UND this and UND that. Some in their own fanbase is fed up with it. Its funny as hell!!!

The thread is in the smack section......LOL....that is all we talk about on BV is frickin UND.....

darell1976
October 5th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I think it's mostly due to the fact that their team lost the final Nickel Trophy game. Had the Bison defeated the Sioux in 2003 I suspect that their fanbase would have a much easier time making good on their promise to "move on" and "leave us in the past". But the fact that they did not get the last laugh in the once great D2 rivalry left a nasty scar that they will never get over, and honestly I can understand where they're coming from. I know I'd feel the same way if the Sioux had lost that game.

Plus seeing their volleyball team getting owned by UND this year is just adding gas to the fire. Wait until NDSU drives up to Grand Forks on a cold January night and has to drive back to Fargo getting thumped by UND in basketball. The NDSU fanbase will be flooding Gene Taylor's inbox with emails to play in football because realistically it may be the only sport left that UND may struggle to beat. (of course UND may shock them in that sport too)

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 5th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Plus seeing their volleyball team getting owned by UND this year is just adding gas to the fire. Wait until NDSU drives up to Grand Forks on a cold January night and has to drive back to Fargo getting thumped by UND in basketball. The NDSU fanbase will be flooding Gene Taylor's inbox with emails to play in football because realistically it may be the only sport left that UND may struggle to beat. (of course UND may shock them in that sport too)

LOL.....I sure get a good chuckle when I read some of the crap you post on here about NDSU/UND.

UND's VB is a good team this year, so are the Bison. UND did not "own" the Bison in that match....did you watch it? I watched the match twice with my daughters, they are VB players. Both teams are good and the match would have probably gone the other way if it was in Fargo.....Bison won 3-0 last year. That was the 2nd time UND has beat the Bison in VB since the 70s.

I'm sure now that UND has beaten SUU that you think they are the "cream of the crop" in the FCS but we'll see how they fair next year in the BSC.

frozennorth
October 5th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Imagine if UND and NDSU were actually playing each other! FCS fans, you are seeing just a sample of this rivalry right now, it would be nice to have it back, but it doesn't sound promising. We might have to rely on the playoffs, and the occasional regular season contest. Doesn't make sense.

It would be awful to have it back. Do you really want more of this ****?

frozennorth
October 5th, 2011, 08:30 PM

If they cared about the trophy, you would think they would be a little more eager to play while und is sucking wind and ndsu on top. Noone cares about the hunk of metal itself.

FarSouthBison
October 5th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Will the Sue beat Western Mont. or lay a egg like they did against Souix Falls College?

biggame
October 5th, 2011, 09:13 PM
If they cared about the trophy, you would think they would be a little more eager to play while und is sucking wind and ndsu on top. Noone cares about the hunk of metal itself.

If you think the nickel trophy doesn't mean anything, you don't have the slightest clue about UND football or the rivalry.

Ginsbach
October 5th, 2011, 09:21 PM
If you think the nickel trophy doesn't mean anything, you don't have the slightest clue about UND football or the rivalry.

Here's the thing - it doesn't mean anything to the majority of the current students at both UND and NDSU.

BisonFan02
October 5th, 2011, 09:37 PM

Well, melt down one side of the nickel because the Sioux mascot means nothing anymore. Keep it. The rivalry between NDSU and SDSU has been going strong in DI.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2011, 10:02 PM

Woa if you are gonna call us lakesbison university you might aswell own up to your true name. Nazi money university.

F'N Hawks
October 5th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Woa if you are gonna call us lakesbison university you might aswell own up to your true name. Nazi money university.

That's right, and alot of it.

MplsBison
October 5th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks for coming out folks. Good discussion here.

SDFS
October 5th, 2011, 11:09 PM

really.. this is what you are going with..

MplsBison
October 5th, 2011, 11:12 PM

Like I said, thanks for coming out. It went to that level => thread locked.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2011, 11:23 PM

Lol your side of hooligans started it... I would agree with mpls this one time though. If this thread is not locked, it will have 500+ pages.

darell1976
October 6th, 2011, 08:18 AM
It might as well be locked. The SUU game is all done. We will continue the Sioux-Bison pissing match in the Montana Western at North Dakota-Game Thread, or the NDSU at SIU-game thread. You guys choose.xlolx

LetsGoSioux!
October 6th, 2011, 09:44 AM
It would be awful to have it back. Do you really want more of this ****?

Yep, sure do. It's called a rivalry.

gjw007
October 6th, 2011, 10:55 AM

Touched a nerve with your defense of LakesBison. Finally you see how degrading to NDSU he has been. By the way, UND never received any money from NAZIs but from a person who at parties put on a NAZI uniform and collected WWII items. Inappropriate for his position but certainly doesn't make the person a NAZI (if this is the definition, then think of the actors who put on NAZI uniforms and others such as Prince William). Too funny!

NDB
October 6th, 2011, 11:02 AM
The mother f#cker printed up 500 bumper stickers that read "Hitler was right" and made one of his own Jewish employees cut the cake at his Hitler birthday party.

I'll agree that Engelstad may not have been a Nazi, but at times he was a vile, despicable piece of sh#t.

darell1976
October 6th, 2011, 01:51 PM
The mother f#cker printed up 500 bumper stickers that read "Hitler was right" and made one of his own Jewish employees cut the cake at his Hitler birthday party.

I'll agree that Engelstad may not have been a Nazi, but at times he was a vile, despicable piece of sh#t.

I have never heard this. Do you have a link to where this happened? I would like to read about this.

NDB
October 6th, 2011, 01:53 PM
it's called Google.

Here's one article: http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20100272,00.html

there are dozens of others.

Ralph was formally reprimanded by the Nevada Gaming Commission.

Squealofthepig
October 6th, 2011, 02:15 PM
it's called Google.

Here's one article: http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20100272,00.html

http://i.imgur.com/ZQsmN.jpg

(Seemed appropriate)

darell1976
October 6th, 2011, 02:29 PM
it's called Google.

Perhaps cowed somewhat by public opinion, Engelstad now says he will dismantle the War Room and has apologized for the Hitler parties, chalking them up to bad taste. But he denies many of the charges. He says he did not order the Hitler European Tour T-shirts or the Hitler Was Right bumper stickers that appeared at the hotel.

So its words against words. If there was sexual harassments and actual lawsuits. I doubt UND would have named an arena after him. At this time (1988) the old REA was still known as the Winter Sports Center.

DJKyR0
October 6th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I told you I liked where this thread was going.

F'N Hawks
October 6th, 2011, 02:45 PM
And if his family wants to give UND another 100 million they will take it in a heartbeat. But, we all know NDSU would have turned down the gift if they were in that position because they are the moral compass of the university system.

semobison
October 6th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Lol your side of hooligans started it... I would agree with mpls this one time though. If this thread is not locked, it will have 500+ pages.

This thread would die if you people would just LET IT GO!...WHO CARES!

NDB
October 6th, 2011, 03:18 PM
So its words against words.

Nice try. He was the subject of a thorough investigation by Nevada Gaming Commission and FBI. They found a lot of evidence of Ralph behaving like a jerk.

Again, that's one article. There are dozens that provide the full picture.

UND, like everyone in Vegas and the gaming world, knew exactly who Ralph was.

TheBisonator
October 6th, 2011, 04:24 PM
This thread makes Baby Jesus cry.

Professor Chaos
October 6th, 2011, 04:34 PM
This thread makes Baby Jesus cry.
I never realized Joe Mauer was so emotionally invested into the NDSU/UND banter...

darell1976
October 6th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Nice try. He was the subject of a thorough investigation by Nevada Gaming Commission and FBI. They found a lot of evidence of Ralph behaving like a jerk.

Again, that's one article. There are dozens that provide the full picture.

UND, like everyone in Vegas and the gaming world, knew exactly who Ralph was.

And Joe Chapman is Mr. Perfect?

johnson
October 6th, 2011, 06:08 PM
And Joe Chapman is Mr. Perfect?
Wow. Now we are going to drag Chapman into a Engelstad Nazi Party argument. When all else fails blame Chapman! xlolx

darell1976
October 6th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Wow. Now we are going to drag Chapman into a Engelstad Nazi Party argument. When all else fails blame Chapman! xlolx

Just proving that NDSU can have the "bad rich guys" too.

Twentysix
October 6th, 2011, 10:22 PM
This thread would die if you people would just LET IT GO!...WHO CARES!

What do you mean "You people".

Twentysix
October 6th, 2011, 10:24 PM

Joe chapman is a saint. You would be honored to have the privledge of kissing his feet every morning when he wakes up.

darell1976
October 6th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Joe chapman is a saint. You would be honored to have the privledge of kissing his feet every morning when he wakes up.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

Twentysix
October 6th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Thought you would like that. :P

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 7th, 2011, 05:49 AM

Chapman did a lot of good things for NDSU. The president's house goes over-budget with external donated money.....no state money......ya, he should have been more transparent but he was still a good pres IMO.

Twentysix
October 7th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Chapman did a lot of good things for NDSU. The president's house goes over-budget with external donated money.....no state money......ya, he should have been more transparent but he was still a good pres IMO.

I would be honored to still have him. NDSU would be at 17k(No not online from norway darrel) next year. Fine with me. IMO both NDSU and UND should strive for about 20,000(about 16,000 undergrads) students. No reason our gov cant fund both schools at that level.

And when I say that I mean at the schools... Not online.... 95%+ face to face attendance. I am just disapointed that NDSU and UND fight about budgetary stuff. IMO they should band toghether and destroy the far to numerous little schools scattered around ND that get horridly disproportionate funding. That and NDSU and UND should be funded equally.

darell1976
October 7th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I would be honored to still have him. NDSU would be at 17k(No not online from norway darrel) next year. Fine with me. IMO both NDSU and UND should strive for about 20,000(about 16,000 undergrads) students. No reason our gov cant fund both schools at that level.

And when I say that I mean at the schools... Not online.... 95%+ face to face attendance. I am just disapointed that NDSU and UND fight about budgetary stuff. IMO they should band toghether and destroy the far to numerous little schools scattered around ND that get horridly disproportionate funding. That and NDSU and UND should be funded equally.

Like I put over on SS NDSU's funding from the state should have increased with its enrollment, and since ND has a budget surplus and since enrollment is pretty equal with UND, why shouldn't NDSU have the same funding as UND. We aren't talking sports we are talking academics. I think Al Carlson should have a bill introduced to increase funding instead of sticking his nose into an already done nickname debate.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 7th, 2011, 08:13 AM

Mayville, Valley City, Bottineau and Williston should be gone....period.

It is a total joke that the premier research university in ND is getting less / student than these smaller schools.

ND only needs: NDSU,UND, Minot State, Dickinson State, Bismarck and Wapheton.

Yes, I agree that NDSU should be at 18-20K enrollment.

Twentysix
October 7th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Mayville, Valley City, Bottineau and Williston should be gone....period.

It is a total joke that the premier research university in ND is getting less / student than these smaller schools.

ND only needs: NDSU,UND, Minot State, Dickinson State, Bismarck and Wapheton.

Yes, I agree that NDSU should be at 18-20K enrollment.

100% agree, but UND should be around those numbers too. :p I think NDUS enrollment is like 45000.

If NDSU and UND both grew to 20k. And by doing that grew the NDUS enrollment to 50000~ you could still have 2.5k at MSU, DSU, BSC, Wap. Alas we will not get rid of the schools that shouldnt exist. And all of our surplus money will be stuffed into a bank account until it is lost by some government follie in 65 years.

frozennorth
October 7th, 2011, 09:25 AM

I wish UND had had some half as competent as chapman. What exactly did he do wrong again? He turned mooU into ND's defacto flagship in half a decade. I can see how sioux fans and the marcils could be a little unhappy.

frozennorth
October 7th, 2011, 09:34 AM
So its words against words. If there was sexual harassments and actual lawsuits. I doubt UND would have named an arena after him. At this time (1988) the old REA was still known as the Winter Sports Center.

Are we talking about the same school here? The same school that will throw its students under the bus so that kelley (and c-cup before him) can suck up to alums and the community?

darell1976
October 7th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I wish UND had had some half as competent as chapman. What exactly did he do wrong again? He turned mooU into ND's defacto flagship in half a decade. I can see how sioux fans and the marcils could be a little unhappy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_A._Chapman

On October 14, 2009 Chapman announced his resignation from NDSU. He cited "Controversies in recent days have created distractions that have made it impossible for me to provide the leadership this institution deserves". Among those controversies is Chapman's $22,000 trip to Washington, DC for President Barack Obama's inauguration in January 2009 and a construction project on a new home for the NDSU President that is more than $1 million over budget.

Take off the green and gold glasses frozennorth. You must get razzed at UND when you wear your NDSU shirts to class.

darell1976
October 7th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Are we talking about the same school here? The same school that will throw its students under the bus so that kelley (and c-cup before him) can suck up to alums and the community?

What the hell are you talking about?? Gee for someone who goes to UND you sure love to bash the school to death. Just why did you go there if there isn't anything nice about the school.

LakesBison
October 7th, 2011, 11:18 AM
good grief, give it a rest. Anyone with a brain cell see's that NDSU is better in every sport except hockey. Move on darrel, im done posting on this stupid thread.

darell1976
October 7th, 2011, 11:21 AM
good grief, give it a rest. Anyone with a brain cell see's that NDSU is better in every sport except hockey. Move on darrel, im done posting on this stupid thread.

How do you figure when your volleyball team got beat by UND this year. Hmmm. I think you are the one without the brain cell.

LakesBison
October 7th, 2011, 11:24 AM
VOLLEYBALL @ NDSU WENT TO NCAA TOURNEY TWICE. so they lost 1 meaningless pre-conference game. why you reply quick, dont you work?
this is my last post, und is a joke in every possible way.

darell1976
October 7th, 2011, 11:27 AM
VOLLEYBALL @ NDSU WENT TO NCAA TOURNEY TWICE. so they lost 1 meaningless pre-conference game. why you reply quick, dont you work?
this is my last post, und is a joke in every possible way.

Yes I do work thank you. Am I not allowed to have a day off of work? Anyways I thought you weren't going to post on this stupid thread again...so much for your other brain cell.

DJKyR0
October 7th, 2011, 11:37 AM
How I feel watching this thread continue to produce:

http://donttrysohard.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/tiger-woods-fist-pump_o_gifsoup-com.gif

darell1976
October 7th, 2011, 11:39 AM

http://donttrysohard.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/tiger-woods-fist-pump_o_gifsoup-com.gif

You feel good that a game thread between UND and SUU can end up a UND-NDSU pissing match. I am shocked its lasted this far. The mods must be on vacation. Or they just don't care until there is a JBB-type meltdown like on CS.

NDB
October 7th, 2011, 12:09 PM
UND played Southern Utah?

interesting.

UNIFanSince1983
October 7th, 2011, 12:39 PM

YES! I haven't gone through the whole thread, but this has to be the best post on it! I honestly laughed pretty hard. On a side note this is how I feel about it as well xpeacex

LetsGoSioux!
October 7th, 2011, 01:20 PM
What do you mean "You people".

Ha! I love it!

FarSouthBison
October 7th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I think the next thread should be about the letters that are being sent to the Big Sky, and if they are helping of hurting your chances of getting into the Big Sky.

TheBisonator
October 7th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I like cheese.

BisonFan02
October 7th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I like cheese.

I like turtles.

Twentysix
October 8th, 2011, 12:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezAJeaCySV4