PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh 'Brown & White' Game

ngineer
April 22nd, 2006, 02:54 PM
The temperature was 45 degrees according to the message board in Goodman Stadium. The windchill, according to my computer was 37. The wind was averaging 10-15 mph and the rain began in earnest about a half hour into the scrimmage. The field, itself, looked remarkably good---the best I've seen it in a couple years. So in the midst of all this I braved the elements with about 150 other hardy souls to watch the White offense go up against the Brown defense.
Unfortunately, the elements did effect the play and a number of potential starters were held out due to some injuries that could have been aggravated on a day such as this.
The Captains for the team were announced at the beginning:Senior Safety Julian Austin, Senior Offensive Lineman John Reese, and Junior Quarterback Sedale Threatt.
In my middle age forgetfulness, I failed to take along gloves, so after an hour and a half and my fingers getting a nice pink I trundled back to the car. At that time, the defense was leading 28-24 using a modified scoring system wherein the D got 1 pt per drive stop;2 pts/sack; 2 pts for a '3 and out', 4pts for a turnover plus usual points for scoring. Offense got 1 pt for first down; 2 pts for a 'big play(20+yards);plus the usual scoring points.
As was expected, the defense was very mobile showing a new 3-4 alignment but with OLBs frequently on the line of scrimmage sometime rushing sometimes dropping. Matt Mohler, DE last year but OLB this year was impressive with a very athletic interception and Royce Morgan was his usual mobile self creating havoc in the backfield. AS happens at these games there was a couple players wearing numbers not contained in the program; however, #77 on the DL who some believed to be a rising Soph.Keith Johnson was very active.
On offense, Threatt appeared very in control, but there was no running by him for obvious reasons. The big questions were the wide outs. Most impressive was Bethlehem Catholic grad and local boy Pete Donchez making some nice catches including a beautiful grab over a defender for a touchdown. He has good size, 6'4", 210. Soph. Sekou Yansane started at the other wide out and had a couple catches including one in heavy traffic for a first down. He sort of reminds me of Pinkston of the Eagles in his build (6'1" 175) but seems to be able to take a hit and hold on. Mike Fitzgerald appears to be the current leader to take over punt return duties, though with the elements there were no real returns. Frank Travota, also of Bethlehem Catholic, did some catching of punts and also played some WR. Lee Thomas was held out with a sprained ankle.
IN the backfield, neither Greg Fay or Josh Pastore (hamstring) played due to injuries. Marques Thompson looked good and shifty at tailback as did backup Rich Forman. Most impressive, though, was Matt McGowan who transfered last year from Richmond. Very strong runner who showed some good drive on a couple third and fourth down short yardage runs getting first downs. The most impressive, though was a play where he appeared stopped for a loss in the backfield, yet somehow got out of the tackle--by of all people, Royce Morgan!
The secondary appeared to be cohesive and Austin came up with a couple knockdowns that should be been picks.
Coen said before the game he's been very pleased with the starters and the leadership they are showing. His main focus is determining what kind of depth he has.
Leo has both the PK an P duties. Had a couple shanks on punts, then followed them with some beauties. Also looked solid on the PK.
Interior Linebackers at the moment appear to be headed by Chris LaMont and Micah Greene. LaMont is very quick, but not very big at 215, so depending on the situation Greene,who goes 235 and is strong as an ox, will definitely be there against the run.
Current depth at QB behind Threat is Senior Mike Probst--who showed some decent mobility despite being considered a 'drop back' passer. It looked to me he's spent a lot of time on that aspect. Junior Kevin Marshall is #3 who has a strong arm and good size.
My wife thought I was insane for going over to the Valley today in this weather, but despite the rain, the wind and the chill, it felt 'good' to back in Goodman and hearing the hitting and yelling again. Less than four months til practice starts....:nod:

colgate13
April 22nd, 2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the write up!

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 22nd, 2006, 06:51 PM
Great report Ngineer!! :bow: There's been little chatter about the team this offseason which i think is a good thing. The expectations are still there but there's more of a quite confidence among Lehigh fans then a brash cockiness that's been there the last 3-4 years. I love the summer but September can't come soon enough!!

Lehigh74
April 22nd, 2006, 07:02 PM
Great report Ngineer! Where you able to decern the likely starters?

ngineer
April 22nd, 2006, 09:16 PM
Hard to tell about all starters since a number of 'projected' starters did not play. Plus there were some guys wearing numbers that did not match up with the program that was handed out. My guess on offense at this point is that the #1's are:
QB Threatt
WR Thomas
WR Donchez
TE Morelli
TB Thompson
FB Fay
OL Reese
OL Kehs
OL Petruccelli
OL Russell
OL Hewko
HOwever, I'd expect McGowan and Pastore (RBs) to see significant time depending on different packages. Same with WR Yousane and Travato and TE Maggs.

On defense there seemed to be a lot of mixing and matching. #77 was unnamed in the program--may have been Keith Johnson--big soph in the middle? Morgan was at one DE and Fabre at the other. LBs were Greene and LaMont in the middle, Mohler and Stinson on the OLB. Secondary was lead by captain Julian Austin, and Courtney Elder at free safety. Brandon Thomas will be at one corner and I see a battle for the other between Gilliard and Ahye. Again, others such as the Gasaway brothers I would expect to see significant time as well.

There is an "official" report on the game now at the Lehgh website:
www.lehighsports.com They estimated attendance at 350--a lot of people were seeking shelter and warmth in the rest rooms...:rolleyes:
|
|

Lehigh Football Nation
April 23rd, 2006, 12:32 AM
A bit late, I know, but I finally got my writeup on my blog of the game. I am most excited about the new defense and the 3-4 we're going to be showing to the world. To me, that could be the strength of the team. Offensively, we showed sparks of excitement in an incomplete picture.

Overall, it was too short! (though ngineer might disagree with that one ... :) )

LBPop
April 23rd, 2006, 07:14 AM
Great write up. Sounds like you guys had a similar day to what the Georgetown fans experienced a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure you'd agree that watching football in lousy weather is still...watching football. You could have been cleaning out the garage yesterday like at least one AGS reader. :bawling:

Quick question--I noticed that Threatt is a captain as a junior. That typically doesn't happen too often. In your opinion does that simply reflect his position as QB or is he that kind of leader?

RadMann
April 23rd, 2006, 07:43 AM
Below are some pics from the game from today's local paper, The Allentown Morning Call:

http://www.mcall.com/media/photo/2006-04/23078018.jpg
http://www.mcall.com/media/photo/2006-04/23078017.jpg
http://www.mcall.com/media/photo/2006-04/23078012.jpg

ngineer
April 23rd, 2006, 10:49 AM
Great write up. Sounds like you guys had a similar day to what the Georgetown fans experienced a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure you'd agree that watching football in lousy weather is still...watching football. You could have been cleaning out the garage yesterday like at least one AGS reader. :bawling:

Quick question--I noticed that Threatt is a captain as a junior. That typically doesn't happen too often. In your opinion does that simply reflect his position as QB or is he that kind of leader?

The captains are voted upon by the players. This is the third time a junior has been named. DB Salvaterra back in the late 90's and graduating senior Cardwell were also named as juniors. Threatt is the real deal. Has tremendous confidence in himself, and that of his teammates. Lembo last year exuded over his ability, both physically and mentally,so this is not a surprise.

ngineer
April 23rd, 2006, 10:54 AM
A bit late, I know, but I finally got my writeup on my blog of the game. I am most excited about the new defense and the 3-4 we're going to be showing to the world. To me, that could be the strength of the team. Offensively, we showed sparks of excitement in an incomplete picture.

Overall, it was too short! (though ngineer might disagree with that one ... :) )

Sounds like it ended not long after I headed for the car. The last two Spring Games I got sunburned! Just 5 degrees warmer I may have lasted to the end.:o Though shorter than we'd like, we got enough to see that next fall has a lot of promise.:)

Lehigh Football Nation
April 23rd, 2006, 05:17 PM
[/B]

The captains are voted upon by the players. This is the third time a junior has been named. DB Salvaterra back in the late 90's and graduating senior Cardwell were also named as juniors. Threatt is the real deal. Has tremendous confidence in himself, and that of his teammates. Lembo last year exuded over his ability, both physically and mentally,so this is not a surprise.

Threatt? Coach Lembo, and now coach Coen, appear to feel that Threatt is something real special at QB. He's an incredible talent and a superb leader, but he still made "sophomore mistakes" at times last year. I can't wait to see exatly how high he can climb, though.

ng, 77 I beleive is senior NT Eric Rakus, listed on the Lehigh roster. I think the move to a 3-4 is a great one for our defense and personnel. Add to that an experienced secondary, and potential is there for a smothering defense.

ngineer
April 23rd, 2006, 08:28 PM
Threatt? Coach Lembo, and now coach Coen, appear to feel that Threatt is something real special at QB. He's an incredible talent and a superb leader, but he still made "sophomore mistakes" at times last year. I can't wait to see exatly how high he can climb, though.

ng, 77 I beleive is senior NT Eric Rakus, listed on the Lehigh roster. I think the move to a 3-4 is a great one for our defense and personnel. Add to that an experienced secondary, and potential is there for a smothering defense.

Makes sense since the Morning Call mentioned how good a game he played and I was impressed with his involvement (#77 that is). NOt sure why he had #35 in the spring program since he moved to DL last year. Initially came to Lehigh as a fullback, so you know he has good mobility.

JohnG
April 23rd, 2006, 09:52 PM
I think it ended about 2:15-2:30 something like that. I ended up staying the whole game. I would have posted on here sooner but I just now regained the feeling in my fingers. It was really nice to be back in Goodman even it was just for the "Late Winter" Game.

132 Days till the Albany game. I can’t wait.

Lehigh59
April 24th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Rakus changed his number to #77 this year because it was his father's number in college....he was recruited as a fullback and was #35 in high school....when he moved to defense in the spring of his freshman year he thought about changing but never got around to it until this year.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 24th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Did a quick press roundup of the Brown/White game. A lot of emphasis on the Becahi guys in Trovato and Donchez, and of course tons of quotes from Sedale.

Shamless plug alert: I think this week or next I'll be reviewing the spring seasons of every team in the Patriot League, since they're finally all done. Massive props to Georgetown, who *finally* have a good writeup in of the game and the players. :hurray: In years past, it was a nightmare trying to find any info!

LBPop
April 24th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Massive props to Georgetown, who *finally* have a good writeup in of the game and the players. :hurray:

On behalf of the Hoya fans, thanks (I think).:rolleyes:

Kind of sad commentary when Georgetown gets big props for simply letting the world know that they play football. ;)

I can only imagine what LFN will say if The Hoyas do something really special...like score more that 10 points! xlolx :o :( :bawling: