PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte To Play As An FCS Independent

superman7515
September 29th, 2011, 06:07 PM
49ers To Play As FCS Independent (http://gmine.blogspot.com/2011/09/49ers-to-play-as-fcs-independent.html#ixzz1ZNfzNrA6)

It appears that the Charlotte 49ers will play football as an independent, at least for the foreseeable future.

Athletics director Judy Rose said Thursday that the Colonial Athletic Association -- which the 49ers had hoped to join as a football-only member when they begin playing in 2013 -- would only consider accepting Charlotte in all sports.

"It was all or nothing with the CAA," said Rose, who wants the remainder of Charlotte's athletic programs to remain affiliated with the non-football Atlantic 10. "So we're an independent in football for an indefinite period of time. It's not ideal, but we're fine with that."

The CAA was one of three Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) leagues the 49ers had been in contact with. In June, the Southern Conference and Big South both said they wouldn't extend invitations for the 49ers to join. Charlotte has been a dominant force in many sports in the Atlantic 10 since joining in 2005. The 49ers have won a league-high 30 conference championships (none in men's basketball) in those six years.....

DFW HOYA
September 29th, 2011, 06:24 PM
So much for that Patriot League option...

alvinkayak6
September 29th, 2011, 06:26 PM
CAA is starting to get on my nerves. Hello, you are not the center of the universe. You will find that out soon enough when James Madison, Maine, and Villanova leave too

henfan
September 29th, 2011, 06:42 PM
This was a good move by the CAA & CAA FB, as neither absolutely needs to expand at this time. It's a business decision for the CAA as much as it was a business decision for UNCC.

As I've stated several times here, the CAA obviously has no interest in taking in schools who are not interested in making a long term investment in the league. It's a pretty typical stance for most D-I conferences.

Good luck to UNCC with FCS FB independence.

T-Dog
September 29th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Right now the CAA, SoCon and Big South don't need Charlotte. I don't see the A-10 conference as a model that can last too much longer though and Charlotte might have to bite the bullet and make an all-sports move in the near future.

As an indy, Charlotte is in the right place to be one. Football in the South is growing with ODU, G-State, Campbell, Mercer, Kennesaw State and a few others starting up. You have two of the top FCS conferences having most of their members within driving distance plus the Big South, OVC and Pioneer League as playing options.

49RFootballNow
September 29th, 2011, 07:11 PM
If you're going to play independent then doing so in a centrally located large city in the Southeast is about as good as you can get location wise. We may eventually have to "bite the bullet" and join a conference all-sport; but right now, with things in the upper conferences shifting dramatically, who knows what Division I will look like next year, or in five? Now's not a good time to make fast moves with your whole athletics department when you have no real promise of semi-stability. Had this decision come about without the current realignment happening I might be more concerned, but right now its the best possible decision and the one that's the easiest to change later.

superman7515
September 29th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I have the opposite view. Had Charlotte started football several years ago and were already an established Independent, now may be a good time. But with several schools that are already a part of BCS conferences getting the cold shoulder in this shakeup, schools like Charlotte that have no conference affiliation and no program history are so far down the list as to be completely and wholly unremarkable. If Kansas and Kansas State, who are much better at football and basketball, are being threatened to be left out, Charlotte has no chance at a major conference. The Big East, if it survives, will rape and pillage what it needs from some combination of the MAC, CUSA, and service acadamies, leaving those two conferences less desirable than they are today. It's quite possible I will be wrong, but I think Charlotte waited too long on the football decision.

Mr. C
September 29th, 2011, 07:20 PM
UNC-Charlotte burned enough bridges that the 49ers were not going to have many options.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 29th, 2011, 07:40 PM
To me, this just proves that Charlotte was never planning to be a FCS school for very long, despite all their talk to the contrary. If they were, they'd be in the Big South or CAA right now.

henfan
September 29th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I'm not buying the flexibility angle for UNCC. Had they joined the CAA for all sports now, they still would have had a cheap & easy option to join another conference. Minimal buyout and minimal waiting period.

The problem UNCC is going to have, I think, is access to the post-season bid (no autobid or representation on the PSC). Of course, scheduling will be a problem if they remain indy for more than a couple years. There will be no conference rivalries, no All Conference awards for its players, etc., all of which are critical elements to FB programs. This is really not a good position to start off in for a fledgling team, one trying to build a fanbase.

UNH Fanboi
September 29th, 2011, 07:47 PM
CAA is starting to get on my nerves. Hello, you are not the center of the universe. You will find that out soon enough when James Madison, Maine, and Villanova leave too

The CAA doesn't need anymore startup programs with FBS ambitions. I'd much rather see them take in some established programs that are committed to competing at the FCS level (Albany, Stony Brook, Fordham, etc.).

youwouldno
September 29th, 2011, 07:48 PM
UNC-C probably thinks they will be some kind of hot commodity just because they are located in Charlotte. The problem is that, in their own erstwhile market, they will always trail UNC, NC State, and probably Clemson and South Carolina as well. Heck, it will take time for them to pass ECU. It is a good location for travel purposes but beyond that they are a non-entity in football.

Having said that, I understand them not wanting to commit to the CAA, which has stability issues of its own.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 29th, 2011, 07:51 PM

The Big South and SoCon just flat out shut them down, at least the CAA gave them a chance. Right now the CAA needs more stability in football. Rhode Island and UMass aside (who were both football only members) the CAA has to deal with affiliate only membership from UNH, Maine, Villanova, and Richmond. Having as many schools as possible as all-sports members is the best way to go both to develop good rivalries (and thus increased attendance and revenues) as well as conference stability. I don't blame the CAA management for holding out for a better offer - the CAA doesn't want to be the launching pad from FCS to FBS anymore than the Sun Belt wants to be where ascendant FCS schools land for their first shot of FBS.

Plus, while A-10 basketball was once head and shoulders above the CAA, CAA basketball has improved to the point where the two are virtually neck and neck.

danefan
September 29th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Hey CAA, I know of a large public research university (or two) that would be happy accept an all-sport membership offer.

Accelerati Incredibilus
September 29th, 2011, 10:03 PM
"The 49ers have won a league-high 30 conference championships (none in men's basketball) in those six years....."

Other than basketball, the A-10 is a very mediocre athletic conference.

Mr. C
September 29th, 2011, 10:14 PM
To me, this just proves that Charlotte was never planning to be a FCS school for very long, despite all their talk to the contrary. If they were, they'd be in the Big South or CAA right now.
Why would the SoCon, Big South, or CAA wants a school that was just renting a spot in a football conference for a few years. The 49ers were offering very little in return.

Bogus Megapardus
September 29th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Props to the CAA for making the correct decision on behalf of its members.

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I'd love to see a home and home with Charlotte and Wofford

dgtw
September 29th, 2011, 10:41 PM
They have previously been members of C-USA and the Sun Belt, both of which are FBS leagues. Their sun Belt years were before that league offered football, but were a non football C-USA member for several years before getting kicked out for not having football.

They'd be fBS right now (and possibly on the Big East's radar) had they started football ten years ago.

Apphole
September 30th, 2011, 12:05 AM
UNC-C probably thinks they will be some kind of hot commodity just because they are located in Charlotte. The problem is that, in their own erstwhile market, they will always trail UNC, NC State, and probably Clemson and South Carolina as well. Heck, it will take time for them to pass ECU. It is a good location for travel purposes but beyond that they are a non-entity in football.

Having said that, I understand them not wanting to commit to the CAA, which has stability issues of its own.

They are also miles behind App State in their market

Skjellyfetti
September 30th, 2011, 12:20 AM

People say the same thing about App... so, I'll defend Charlotte here.

You don't have to be one of the top draws in your market to be a hot commodity to a conference.

Where does TCU rank in the DFW market? Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, LSU, Texas Tech, Arkansas. Then... maybe TCU. They aren't one of the top draws in DFW. But, they are attractive to other conferences because when the conference renegotiates television contracts... they can point to the addition of a school in one of the largest media markets in the country... and all the televisions they would add. They could then negotiate a much larger television contract.

fc97
September 30th, 2011, 01:02 AM
uncc is going to have scheduling problems. in the late 1990s there were anywhere from 7 to 13 i-aa independent schools and those all had scheduling problems. uncc is going to have scheduling issues after week 5 every year.

Squealofthepig
September 30th, 2011, 02:08 AM

You don't have to be one of the top draws in your market to be a hot commodity to a conference.

Where does TCU rank in the DFW market? Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, LSU, Texas Tech, Arkansas. Then... maybe TCU. They aren't one of the top draws in DFW. But, they are attractive to other conferences because when the conference renegotiates television contracts... they can point to the addition of a school in one of the largest media markets in the country... and all the televisions they would add. They could then negotiate a much larger television contract.

I would agree with this if only one question was answered - with whom?

GaSouthern
September 30th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Well why don't you come on down to Statesboro to help give us an easy D-I win and leave with your teeth kicked in, or are you scared like Bill Curry and don't want to play the little iggles.

Spiderbone
September 30th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Hit the nail on the head...Its a matter of time before the A-10 falls apart though with the Basketball schools going one way and the Football/Basketball schools going the other IMHO.

henfan
September 30th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Hey CAA, I know of a large public research university (or two) that would be happy accept an all-sport membership offer.

If UA could ever find a way to fund 53 FB scholarships, it would make sense for them to apply for full CAA membership. There's probably little mutual interest in the meantime.

danefan
September 30th, 2011, 08:03 AM
If UA could ever find a way to fund 53 FB scholarships, it would make sense for them to apply for full CAA membership. There's probably little mutual interest in the meantime.

My understanding is that its not a matter of funding the scholarships, but instead a matter of finding a home to do it in.
Now, with that being said, who knows if our AD has the leadership skills to get the CAA to agree to it.

Step 1 is underway - ground breaking on the stadium late November.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q203/bosiydid/IMAG0420.jpg
A cell phone pick (courtesy of Clickclack on the Albany board) of the huge poster in the lobby to the current field during the Maine game along with the actual chairback seats to be used.

asumike83
September 30th, 2011, 08:11 AM
They have previously been members of C-USA and the Sun Belt, both of which are FBS leagues. Their sun Belt years were before that league offered football, but were a non football C-USA member for several years before getting kicked out for not having football.

They'd be fBS right now (and possibly on the Big East's radar) had they started football ten years ago.

You hit the nail on the head right there. Judy Rose is not a competent AD in my opinion, and I doubt you would find many UNCC folks who disagree. Had they started a football program 10 years ago and stayed in C-USA, I think they would be getting a serious look for an all-sports invite to the Big East.

henfan
September 30th, 2011, 08:35 AM
My understanding is that its not a matter of funding the scholarships, but instead a matter of finding a home to do it in.

The CAA & CAA FB apparently aren't in any hurry to expand. The offer to Charlotte was a no-brainer because they have a history of competitive Olympic sports in a large city within the existing conference footprint, bridging the gap between UNCW & GSU, plus they would have added the guarantee (not the promise) of a full scholarship FB program.

If/when the conference chooses to expand again, I'd have to think any school with strong academics, full scholarship FB and strong Olympic sports will get consideration, assuming they met the geographic/marketing needs of the conference as well.

Tuscon
September 30th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Have fun watching your team play DII and NAIA teams to fill scheduling holes. I know I have. haha. Seriously, being an independendent doesn't seem to be the easy option here and I wish you guys lots of luck.

asumike83
September 30th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Have fun watching your team play DII and NAIA teams to fill scheduling holes. I know I have. haha. Seriously, being an independendent doesn't seem to be the easy option here and I wish you guys lots of luck.

I wonder if GA State and UNCC have had any talks of playing? Both upstart programs in big Southeast cities, seems like it would be a good fit.

Saint3333
September 30th, 2011, 08:57 AM
UNC-Charlotte burned enough bridges that the 49ers were not going to have many options.

Here is the truth.

UNCC would be better served to join the CAA for all sports, Judy make the right call or you and your head coach will hate your schedule in late October and November.

Smitty
September 30th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I think a lot of conferences would have taken them if they joined with all sports. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way.

91Niner
September 30th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I think a lot of conferences would have taken them if they joined with all sports. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way.

IF we eventually decide we have to do that, we will........I think we're confident a full sports offer would still come from the CAA, and certainly the Southern and Big South, but I guarantee those last 2 options would never be considered seriously by Charlotte.

91Niner
September 30th, 2011, 09:09 AM

haha, yeah right........I knew it wouldn't take you long to chime in with this kind of garbage.

SideLine Shooter
September 30th, 2011, 09:13 AM
IF we eventually decide we have to do that, we will........I think we're confident a full sports offer would still come from the CAA, and certainly the Southern and Big South, but I guarantee those last 2 options would never be considered seriously by Charlotte.

I agree. They could never compete at that level.
All joking aside, UNCC has made some huge blunders in this whole process.

WH49er
September 30th, 2011, 09:14 AM

Are you counting all the Tarhole fans that count App as their "safety"?

Judy should have kept her mouth shut about conferences from the beginning but we all know how hard that is for a woman to do. I personally believe CAA would have been a great landing spot for us. Question is even if we joined in all sports and expressed our FBS aspirations, would they still let us join?

I doubt it, they are intent in preserving their brand for the long haul.

Tuscon
September 30th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I wonder if GA State and UNCC have had any talks of playing? Both upstart programs in big Southeast cities, seems like it would be a good fit.

We might for our OOC scheduling, but starting next year we are CAA. We seem to be sceduling the other startups now, it seems like a good idea.

jmufan999
September 30th, 2011, 09:47 AM
We might for our OOC scheduling, but starting next year we are CAA. We seem to be sceduling the other startups now, it seems like a good idea.

I think it's an excellent idea. I also think following ODU's formula of not playing FBS teams right away would be wise also. Just make it to the magical 8 D1 win mark and you're virtually guaranteed a playoff berth (starting next year).

91Niner
September 30th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I agree. They could never compete at that level.
All joking aside, UNCC has made some huge blunders in this whole process.

Not so certain about that.....we'll see how it all plays out eventually.

asumike83
September 30th, 2011, 09:52 AM

True, the end product will ultimately decide Rose's fate as AD regardless of how you get there. However, I do think she has made some mistakes. It would have been wise to play it a little closer to the vest in regards to FBS aspirations, as I imagine you would already have a home for football if it were done that way. Keep the FBS plans internal until you are established in a conference and just pay the exit fee if/when the time comes.

SideLine Shooter
September 30th, 2011, 10:25 AM

Just more of that "do no wrong" Tarhole mentality.

Tuscon
September 30th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I think it's an excellent idea. I also think following ODU's formula of not playing FBS teams right away would be wise also. Just make it to the magical 8 D1 win mark and you're virtually guaranteed a playoff berth (starting next year).

Yah, not so certain about the wisdom in scheduling FBS teams every year. Paycheck is nice and Alabama was a fun trip as I'm sure Knoxville will be, but you shoot yourself in the foot playoff wise. UNCC isn't too far to travel to either.

Part of the deal with startups scheduling each other is out of necessity though. It's really not seeming like an easy thing to fill an 11 game Independent schedule. Startups are a good option since they are doing the same thing, but what is UNCC gonna do, play startups and ranked teams looking for easy wins for years to come?

WM2001
September 30th, 2011, 10:51 AM
UNCC vs GA State could be a nice rivalry.

henfan
September 30th, 2011, 11:35 AM
IF we eventually decide we have to do that, we will........I think we're confident a full sports offer would still come from the CAA...

That's what we call a 'calculated risk' of which I would not be very confident, especially in an era of constantly changing conferences.

UNCC is starting off by rolling the dice with a multi-million dollar investment. Not exactly how I'd do business if it were my money, but that's just me.

SideLine Shooter
September 30th, 2011, 11:40 AM
UNCC vs GA State could be a nice rivalry.

That would be like "The Super Bowl."

Apphole
September 30th, 2011, 12:00 PM
FCS conferences, the city of Charlotte and 95% of UNCC alumni don't give a rat's *** about that trade school. Why should we? They will recruit some real star athletes without a conference. xlolx

WH49er
September 30th, 2011, 12:47 PM
FCS conferences, the city of Charlotte and 95% of UNCC alumni don't give a rat's *** about that trade school. Why should we? They will recruit some real star athletes without a conference. xlolx

Ironic you don't care because every time some mentions us, you visit the thread and make a little quip. Did you also have this complex before we announced we would have a football team?

You seem to live in a delusional world so I suggest taking this class offered by your "fine" university.

http://firstyearseminar.appstate.edu/what-if-harry-potter-real

I've met many of classy App fans tailgating with my sister at the games but you are quite the embarrassment to your fan base. Good luck @ Wofford!

youwouldno
September 30th, 2011, 01:10 PM

Actually TCU is not that highly desired- the Big East only added them out of desperation because they were already lacking in football members, now of course the future of Big East football is even more in doubt.

Anyway you are just factually wrong here... just existing in a media market isn't worth anything. There are a lot of mid-major FBS examples of this... schools like Tulsa, Houston, San Jose St, Toledo, etc. have zero media relevancy despite being in mid-sized or huge markets.

App St will never be a relevant media property, end of story. UNC-C has a bit more upside but even so, a modest presence in one divided market just isn't very valuable.

The formula is simple- dominate a big market (Southern Cal) or mid-sized market (Nebraska), or have a significant presence in multiple markets (Florida).

Apphole
September 30th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Ironic you don't care because every time some mentions us, you visit the thread and make a little quip. Did you also have this complex before we announced we would have a football team?

You seem to live in a delusional world so I suggest taking this class offered by your "fine" university.

http://firstyearseminar.appstate.edu/what-if-harry-potter-real

I've met many of classy App fans tailgating with my sister at the games but you are quite the embarrassment to your fan base. Good luck @ Wofford!

**** you and your glorified community college. xthumbsupx

91Niner
September 30th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Wow.....just Wow.........

91Niner
September 30th, 2011, 02:57 PM
**** you and your glorified community college. xthumbsupx

and again........wow

Sly Fox
September 30th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Dude, when did Toledo & Tulsa become worthy of note due to market size? Tulsa is about the 4th most popular team in their mid-sized market. Houston, Rice & SMU are better examples ... although UH has better fan base than some would admit.

I am just dumbfounded at the ineptitude of KK & the Big South to pass on Charlotte as an affiliate. Can someone please explain the downside for the Big South?

youwouldno
September 30th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Dude, when did Toledo & Tulsa become worthy of note due to market size? Tulsa is about the 4th most popular team in their mid-sized market. Houston, Rice & SMU are better examples ... although UH has better fan base than some would admit.

My whole point was that location doesn't matter if a program doesn't have a big enough share of the market. By extension it's better to dominate a mid-sized market than have a tiny slice of a big market.

Charlotte is 33rd, though rising, and pretty well split up. No FBS conference is going to want UNC-C or App St for market access reasons (though there could be other reasons).

91Niner
September 30th, 2011, 03:55 PM
My whole point was that location doesn't matter if a program doesn't have a big enough share of the market. By extension it's better to dominate a mid-sized market than have a tiny slice of a big market.

Charlotte is 33rd, though rising, and pretty well split up. No FBS conference is going to want UNC-C or App St for market access reasons (though there could be other reasons).

Wow, so how did we manage to get into CUSA (even without football) back in 1993 along with the Louisvilles, Cincinnatis and Marquette's of the world or the A10 in 2005 with the Xaviers and Temples of the world? Was it our market or the success of our athletic program?........It has to be one of them, come on......you can say it......

49RFootballNow
September 30th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Man, if Judy had known there were so many football conference experts here on AGS; she surely would have just come here and taken your advice instead of those of other AD's and NCAA officials.

Friend of Pounce
September 30th, 2011, 05:01 PM
These UNCC insults are getting old. Why can't people on this board just be civil and go back to taking shots at Georgia State?:D

More seriously, I do think we could get nice GSU-UNCC rivalry going...

youwouldno
September 30th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Wow, so how did we manage to get into CUSA (even without football) back in 1993 along with the Louisvilles, Cincinnatis and Marquette's of the world or the A10 in 2005 with the Xaviers and Temples of the world? Was it our market or the success of our athletic program?........It has to be one of them, come on......you can say it......

Media market isn't usually a decisive factor for mid-major FBS. Certainly not in the Sun Belt for instance. But when there are limited spots it can make a difference.

ccd494
September 30th, 2011, 05:28 PM

Excuse me?

aceinthehole
September 30th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I am just dumbfounded at the ineptitude of KK & the Big South to pass on Charlotte as an affiliate. Can someone please explain the downside for the Big South?

I was wondering the same thing. If SBU can be a FB-only affiliate, why not Charlotte?

Dignan
September 30th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Excuse me?

Haven't you heard? We're all moving to the Big East.

asumike83
September 30th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Man, if Judy had known there were so many football conference experts here on AGS; she surely would have just come here and taken your advice instead of those of other AD's and NCAA officials.

I think the problem is that she did not really listen to anyone. I cannot imagine that any AD or NCAA official told her to say, in essence, "we are looking for a short-term holding place for football only to use as a springboard to the FBS. Who wants us?". I wish y'all the best but she shot herself in the foot there, being an independent is a tough route to go.

DFW HOYA
September 30th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Haven't you heard? We're all moving to the Big East.

Welcome...so, when can we expect the Dukes at Multi-Sport Field?

Seawolf97
September 30th, 2011, 08:05 PM
The 49 er's are going to struggle if they go indy for any length of time. Scheduling games beyond 10/1 when most conference play heats up is hard. Notre Dame they are not. But hey hope we play them in home and away someday.

Mr. C
September 30th, 2011, 09:59 PM

Why is it inept to expect someone to make a commitment to your league? Exactly what does UNCC bring to the table as a football team when it was only looking for a short-term fix? I couldn't disagree with you more on this. My question to you is what would be so great about have the 49ers?

91Niner
September 30th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I think the problem is that she did not really listen to anyone. I cannot imagine that any AD or NCAA official told her to say, in essence, "we are looking for a short-term holding place for football only to use as a springboard to the FBS. Who wants us?". I wish y'all the best but she shot herself in the foot there, being an independent is a tough route to go.

This is where so many of you are wrong.......Our Admin. has NEVER said publically that we have any definitive plans to move to FBS. Our feasability committee recommended it, that is all. The only thing the AD has done is thank them for their work and begun the program. No timetables for FBS, no confirmation about FBS at all. It has been assumed by all (including myself based on the "reasons" we're starting the program) but nothing has been "admitted" by the Admin or AD in regards to FBS.

49RFootballNow
September 30th, 2011, 10:58 PM
This is where so many of you are wrong.......Our Admin. has NEVER said publically that we have any definitive plans to move to FBS. Our feasability committee recommended it, that is all. The only thing the AD has done is thank them for their work and begun the program. No timetables for FBS, no confirmation about FBS at all. It has been assumed by all (including myself based on the "reasons" we're starting the program) but nothing has been "admitted" by the Admin or AD in regards to FBS.

Everyone has assumed this but it's not just because it was recommended by the feasibility committee, but because it's what's required to compete in our market. That's why the committee made the recommendation in the first place. The casual fans in the Charlotte market don't care about FCS football and won't pay to watch it. If they did Davidson would be a bigger factor than they are. Having already been in an FBS conference, being in a 2 million person market, having 35,000 students by 2020 doesn't fit the typical FCS school profile. Chancellor Dubois, the only person involved that doesn't want to push forward to FBS, has 4 years left before retiring. It's his fault we aren't already playing football for his constant delaying, and it's his fault we have this wishy-washy approach to FCS vs FBS. No one believes him when he or Judy says they'll play FCS indefinitely, because it makes no sense to do so for a school like Charlotte. If he gets in the way folks like Johnny Harris, Ike Belk, Mac Everette and Dale Halton will tell him to sit down and know his role.

I'm not a Rah-Rah Judy Rose fan but the last thing she wants is for football to struggle now that it's her responsibility and reflects on her. I'm sure she's listened to the advice of many folks who are involved in college football on many levels. She's trying to be as truthful with other organizations as she can be. Perhaps it would be better if she lied like most folks in business do these days, but..........

asumike83
October 1st, 2011, 12:41 AM
The only thing the AD has done is thank them for their work and begun the program. No timetables for FBS, no confirmation about FBS at all. It has been assumed by all (including myself based on the "reasons" we're starting the program) but nothing has been "admitted" by the Admin or AD in regards to FBS.

Judy Rose: June 2011

"To move from FCS to FBS you have to have an invitation from a conference," Rose said. "We have to make sure it's a conference that would want us and would be a good fit for us. Our long-term goal is to be FBS, but I can't define long-term. Sometimes things just happen."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=6699612

I'm not a Rah-Rah Judy Rose fan but the last thing she wants is for football to struggle now that it's her responsibility and reflects on her. I'm sure she's listened to the advice of many folks who are involved in college football on many levels. She's trying to be as truthful with other organizations as she can be. Perhaps it would be better if she lied like most folks in business do these days, but..........

Obviously she does not want football to struggle and has your school's best interest at heart, I just think she is a bit misguided. Like I said, I wish you guys the best. I am in favor of as many in-state football rivals as possible but in my opinion, she would have been better served to take a 'crawl before you walk' approach and taken FCS football head on. Although she did not intend to do so, I think the CAA, SoCon and Big South all lost interest when the intent became apparent to use them as a temporary storage space.

alvinkayak6
October 1st, 2011, 12:46 AM
"sometimes things just happen" .... sounds like an intelligent remark by somebody i would want running a daycare center for my kids let alone a sports AD

ninerID
October 1st, 2011, 06:24 AM
"sometimes things just happen" .... sounds like an intelligent remark by somebody i would want running a daycare center for my kids let alone a sports AD

Yeah, don't get me started.

superman7515
October 1st, 2011, 07:17 AM
Any real 49ers fan will tell you, "We don't know what we don't know" is the favorite line of the athletic department.

SideLine Shooter
October 1st, 2011, 07:41 AM
Any real 49ers fan will tell you, "We don't know what we don't know" is the favorite line of the athletic department.

I'm not sure they know much of anything.

Sly Fox
October 1st, 2011, 10:20 AM
Why is it inept to expect someone to make a commitment to your league? Exactly what does UNCC bring to the table as a football team when it was only looking for a short-term fix? I couldn't disagree with you more on this. My question to you is what would be so great about have the 49ers?

First off, I fully understand why an Appalachian State fan wouldn't want to give the 49ers any credence. But come on, anyone even remotely familiar with the Big South knows that outside of the D2 and the vagabonds that Kyle has brought in as full members the past few years, EVERYONE is looking to go somewhere else. Well, probably not CSU but my point remains. The league exists almost exclusively to be a holding place for schools until a better opportunity arises. I can assure you that Liberty, Coastal, VMI & Stony Brook will bolt at the first availability elsewhere ... hopefully that happens sooner rather than later for my Flames.

The only success that Kyle has had as a commish was bringing on SBU as an affiliate member to get the league eligible as an auto bid. And even then he couldn't close the sale on Albany on what in retrospect was clearly in the best interests of everyone involved.

Regarding what would be so great only takes a quick glance at today's Big South schedule in what would normally be the first weekend of conference play with Charlotte in the fold. Wesley College? Kentucky Wesleyan? I can assure you that the 49ers would be a bigger draw for us at Liberty than PC, CSU, G-W and even Stony Brook.

Here's an even better question: What is the downside for the Big South letting Charlotte in as an affiliate member for a few years?

WH49er
October 1st, 2011, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure they know much of anything.

Do you have anything intelligent to offer to the conversation? If not, stop being a troll with one-line insults and go hangout in the App threads.

If you and apphole think we don't matter and you guys continously say you don't care, then why bother making the Pre-K comments?

ninerID
October 1st, 2011, 10:48 AM
Do you have anything intelligent to offer to the conversation? If not, stop being a troll with one-line insults and go hangout in the App threads.

If you and apphole think we don't matter and you guys continously say you don't care, then why bother making the Pre-K comments?
http://persephonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/oh-snap-chart-.jpg?1103ba