PDA

View Full Version : Coleman a battered mess.

tarmac
September 29th, 2011, 05:05 AM
http://www.nooga.com/18348_utcs-coleman-taking-a-beating/

UTC's Coleman taking a beating
By Brendan F. Quinn
Published Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:14 am EST ( Updated 14 hours ago )
Print
0 Comments

Appalachian State's Ronald Blair (49) sacks Chattanooga's B.J.

Coleman (19) during an NCAA college football game Saturday.

(AP Photo/Bob Leverone)

The deep-purple bruise on the inside of B.J. Coleman’s left arms was ghastly.

The quarterback’s slow, pronounced limp looked unbearable.

The bruise on his cheek was nasty.

“Those hits — over a game — start to add up,” said Coleman, before boarding the Chattanooga bus headed back to campus following the Mocs’ 14-12 loss to Appalachian State on Saturday.

The Mountaineers’ unsparing defensive assault left UTC’s starting senior quarterback as a bruised and battered mess and crippled the Mocs’ offense last weekend. Multiple times, UTC head coach Russ Huesman could only watch as Coleman was maimed by untouched blockers.

The team’s wide receivers, meanwhile, never made App State pay for sending an extra rusher. Because the wideouts couldn’t exploit one-on-one coverage, Coleman, who isn’t fleet of foot as it is, was forced to dodge incoming missiles from every direction. Pass plays typically ended with linemen picking Coleman up off the grass as his wide receivers jogged back to the line.

“A couple of times (while running a route) you’d hear the roar and the big 'ohhhh,'” said Jeff Veres, the Mocs’ third leading receiver on the year. “It would make you nervous. ... When you come off to the sidelines and you’re looking at him and he looks a little more banged up this time than the last time you saw him, that will make you take notice to it. You feel bad for him.”

Huesman has a problem on his hands. With Coleman behind center, the Chattanooga offense should present a high-octane aerial attack. That is, if he has time to throw. The Mocs’ pass protection, however, has proven to be amiss.

The logical solution: Add an extra tight end or running back to pass block.

dgtw
September 29th, 2011, 05:16 AM
You'd think with UTC's superior offensive line he could play the game without pads.

AppStsGr8
September 29th, 2011, 06:43 AM
That sums up what I saw at the game pretty well. BJ Coleman is definitely a good passer. He isn't a dual threat though, so defending the pass against UTC is the key to stopping them. Joel Bradford is an excellent receiver, too. If Huesman can figure out the O-line, UTC will be in much better shape. He probably needs to figure out not having his kicker just watch an errant snap, too. There's still plenty of season left; Huesman's a good coach; UTC will be fine.

chattownmocs
September 29th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Yay!! we are such a tough physical team. We got 10 free shots on the QB and the best we could do was bruise him!

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2011, 07:03 AM
A lot has been made of Coleman, but can UTC run the ball?

That blitz happy attack may work against UTC, but I don't think App will need to be doing that against the four or five teams in the conference that have QBs that can run.

jmufan999
September 29th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Against Appalachian State, every aspect of the Mocs’ offense was a culprit in Coleman’s pounding. The receivers weren’t open, the running game stalled like a ‘76 Chevette (30 carries, 49 yards, 1.1 yards per carry) and the offensive line was consistently overwhelmed.

But other than that, App State was just lucky to win.

chattownmocs
September 29th, 2011, 08:10 AM

Its false information. The mocs drove the ball deep inside the redzone 5 times. Inside the 10, 4 times. Appalachian State got inside the mocs 38, 1 time. Appalachian State got a few lucky plays and now the narrative is that they have the greatest defense ever, in reality they were the 2nd best defense in the game by a wide margin.

cannonballgsu
September 29th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Its false information. The mocs drove the ball deep inside the redzone 5 times. Inside the 10, 4 times. Appalachian State got inside the mocs 38, 1 time. Appalachian State got a few lucky plays and now the narrative is that they have the greatest defense ever, in reality they were the 2nd best defense in the game by a wide margin.

Defense wins games. Doesn't matter how or where they stop the offense.

If you score a lot of points, you may win, but if you keep your opponent from scoring, you can NEVER lose.

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2011, 08:18 AM

If you score a lot of points, you may win, but if you keep your opponent from scoring, you can NEVER lose.

Even if the offense is stopped by a patch of ice on the two with no defender in shouting distance.

eaglewraith
September 29th, 2011, 08:24 AM

Field position =/= points

App found a way to score more points. THAT'S how you win games.

eaglewraith
September 29th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Even if the offense is stopped by a patch of ice on the two with no defender in shouting distance.

My bad, thought you were referring to something that happened in the 88 game for a second there.

My brain is foggy this morning :(

asumike83
September 29th, 2011, 08:29 AM

The ASU defense knew all about that ice patch, we were just daring Ingle to run over it. He fell right into our trap! :D

cannonballgsu
September 29th, 2011, 08:32 AM
The ASU defense knew all about that ice patch, we were just daring Ingle to run over it. He fell right into our trap! :D

Literally.

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2011, 08:52 AM

Think about it this way. Ingle doesn't slip on the ice on a perfectly designed, perfectly executed play for a touchdown (which, I believe, would have put Furman up two touchdowns late). App State doesn't go to the national title game, and therefore doesn't win their first national title. Season tickets sales don't explode. No dynasty. No stadium expansion. No discussion of the FBS.

Its a hypothetical, but that single event might have changed the course of App State's program forever.

chattownmocs
September 29th, 2011, 09:00 AM

Interesting theory because the mocs had the defense that kept the other team from scoring.

cannonballgsu
September 29th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Interesting theory because the mocs had the defense that kept the other team from scoring.

What does your special teams do when they kick off/punt? Come on...you can say it....DEFEND THE GOAL. When you no longer have the ball in your possession, you are on defense.

chattownmocs
September 29th, 2011, 10:28 AM
What does your special teams do when they kick off/punt? Come on...you can say it....DEFEND THE GOAL. When you no longer have the ball in your possession, you are on defense.

So thats what you meant by defense? Special teams and offensive unit. Chattanoogqa cant claim that they had better defense because their offense and specials teams didnt play good defense? SUUUUUREREE

ASUG8
September 29th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Think about it this way. Ingle doesn't slip on the ice on a perfectly designed, perfectly executed play for a touchdown (which, I believe, would have put Furman up two touchdowns late). App State doesn't go to the national title game, and therefore doesn't win their first national title. Season tickets sales don't explode. No dynasty. No stadium expansion. No discussion of the FBS.

Its a hypothetical, but that single event might have changed the course of App State's program forever.

Never thought of it that way - a very belated thank you.

ASUG8
September 29th, 2011, 10:40 AM
So thats what you meant by defense? Special teams and offensive unit. Chattanoogqa cant claim that they had better defense because their offense and specials teams didnt play good defense? SUUUUUREREE

Again, cudos on your moral victory and UTC's domination of all things pigskin.

I guess the rest of us dejected ASU folks will have to settle for a 14-12 NCAA victory. Damn moral victories.......

asumike83
September 29th, 2011, 10:53 AM

Very true. I've seen a lot of crazy plays in that South end zone, and that one ranks right up near the top.

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2011, 12:43 PM
If Chatty can't block App State, they'll have a hard time against the other physical defenses in the conference: GSU, Furman, and Wofford. Not to say that App doesn't have a physical defense. The clearly have a top defense with physicality to match. Furman, GSU, and Wofford could probably match their intensity when playing Chatty though

chattownmocs
September 29th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Again, cudos on your moral victory and UTC's domination of all things pigskin.

I guess the rest of us dejected ASU folks will have to settle for a 14-12 NCAA victory. Damn moral victories.......

Damn having to make up irrelevant as well as false posts in an attempt to change the subject. Y do you insist on doing that?

alvinkayak6
September 29th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Don't let em get under your mocskin, chattown. There will perhaps be time for recompense in the playoffs

ASUG8
September 29th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Damn having to make up irrelevant as well as false posts in an attempt to change the subject. Y do you insist on doing that?

That's a false post? So you don't have a 35+ page thread on how UTC really won the game with a better team although the scoreboard didn't reflect it? I'd offer you a lifeline out of your madness, but I don't think any of us have enough rope.

asknoquarter21
September 29th, 2011, 01:41 PM

After rewatching the game I noticed several key things that I had missed initially during the game. Lets start with UTC's Defense.

-The entire game they played Consiglio on a spy on DeAndre Pressley. This is something that has been very effective against Pressley in the past and we have seen it often. Due to the QB Spy the offense needs to take advantage of one less player in coverage and roll the pocket/give the QB options. ASU didn't do this nor did they run quick underneath crossing routes to pick the spy LBer as he is keeping his eyes in the backfield.

-UTC defended the read option very well. Typically when a team keeps a LB on a spy like UTC did they will struggle to stop the running back because there is one less man focused on the running back. This was not the case, on the read the Spy LBer would then step up to help close the hole meant for the running back. The backside DE and LBer would then have containment responsibility against the QB. This worked very well as DeAndre wasn't able to break this containment at all.

-ASU finally found success running on the outside of the tackles due to both the middle linebacker and the outside linebacker converging on the inside(the strongside LB couldn't step outside due to the weakside LB not filling the middle).

-Chattanooga defended against the pass very well in an x's and o's aspect. When they blitzed the CBs held their coverage long enough on the outside and the coverage LBers did a good job of covering their zones. ASU finally figured out where they would have success(in the middle of the field), but several errant passes missed some great opportunities.

None of this was overly complicated or something ASU shouldn't expect to see often. Play calling left a lot to be desired offensively and execution wasn't consistant in the least, but I expect ASU to improve both of those.

UTC executed very well on Defense as their were only two or three missed assignments and ASU never capitalized on those for big gains.

As for the ASU defense:

-The gameplan was to play tight single coverage underneath mixed in with some cover 2, but much of the game was single coverage with CBs and LBer blitzes. ASU executed this extremely well as Coleman never really had time to find an open man. There were several plays where the WRs would make a great play and just beat the DB, but in general the Defense was aggressive and covered their assignments very well. After what happened last year with Coleman completely dissecting the secondary it was a huge improvement.

-UTC tried a number of different things to get the passing game going, but the pressure never allowed for free roaming WRs. After the first several series UTC started attacking the middle which resulted in what you would expect against an aggressive blitzing defense.

Hard to argue one defense was better than the other in this sense as both had completely different schemes. I would expect someone with much of a understanding of the game to realize this. When you make a statement like ASU having the second best defense by a wide margin you are opening yourself up to everyone seeing just how little you understand about the game itself. The ASU defense played a bend-but-don't-break style of pressure defense to a T. You got some big plays off run after catch yardage and your QB got hit a lot in the process. The truly telling stat was that you weren't able to covert in the redzone, Neither team was.

UTC will be very successful this season against teams like Wofford and GSU if they continue this type of assignment football with the disipline they showed against ASU. I think your jumping the gun a bit to assume that you "should" have won that game. There were many mistakes were made on both sides. It easily could have gone a lot of different ways.

chattownmocs
September 29th, 2011, 01:44 PM
That's a false post? So you don't have a 35+ page thread on how UTC really won the game with a better team although the scoreboard didn't reflect it? I'd offer you a lifeline out of your madness, but I don't think any of us have enough rope.

and there is another false statement.

StorminASU
September 29th, 2011, 01:49 PM

Considering he only made one statement in that quote (two questions then a statement), are you saying someone does actually have enough rope to pull you out of your madness? I like the hope you have. It'll inspire the psychiatrist that you're trying.

ASUG8
September 29th, 2011, 01:52 PM

14-12 FACT

No amount of xbawlingx will change that. You don't respond well to cold, hard reality in your world, enough so that even some of your fellow fans are distancing themselves from your comments. Another FACT.

Don't stop believing though - UTC is 1-0 in SoCon moral victories this season, so ya got that going for ya. xlolx

Skjellyfetti
September 29th, 2011, 01:55 PM
After rewatching the game I noticed several key things that I had missed initially during the game. Lets start with UTC's Defense.

-The entire game they played Consiglio on a spy on DeAndre Pressley. This is something that has been very effective against Pressley in the past and we have seen it often. Due to the QB Spy the offense needs to take advantage of one less player in coverage and roll the pocket/give the QB options. ASU didn't do this nor did they run quick underneath crossing routes to pick the spy LBer as he is keeping his eyes in the backfield.

-UTC defended the read option very well. Typically when a team keeps a LB on a spy like UTC did they will struggle to stop the running back because there is one less man focused on the running back. This was not the case, on the read the Spy LBer would then step up to help close the hole meant for the running back. The backside DE and LBer would then have containment responsibility against the QB. This worked very well as DeAndre wasn't able to break this containment at all.

-ASU finally found success running on the outside of the tackles due to both the middle linebacker and the outside linebacker converging on the inside(the strongside LB couldn't step outside due to the weakside LB not filling the middle).

-Chattanooga defended against the pass very well in an x's and o's aspect. When they blitzed the CBs held their coverage long enough on the outside and the coverage LBers did a good job of covering their zones. ASU finally figured out where they would have success(in the middle of the field), but several errant passes missed some great opportunities.

None of this was overly complicated or something ASU shouldn't expect to see often. Play calling left a lot to be desired offensively and execution wasn't consistant in the least, but I expect ASU to improve both of those.

UTC executed very well on Defense as their were only two or three missed assignments and ASU never capitalized on those for big gains.

As for the ASU defense:

-The gameplan was to play tight single coverage underneath mixed in with some cover 2, but much of the game was single coverage with CBs and LBer blitzes. ASU executed this extremely well as Coleman never really had time to find an open man. There were several plays where the WRs would make a great play and just beat the DB, but in general the Defense was aggressive and covered their assignments very well. After what happened last year with Coleman completely dissecting the secondary it was a huge improvement.

-UTC tried a number of different things to get the passing game going, but the pressure never allowed for free roaming WRs. After the first several series UTC started attacking the middle which resulted in what you would expect against an aggressive blitzing defense.

Hard to argue one defense was better than the other in this sense as both had completely different schemes. I would expect someone with much of a understanding of the game to realize this. When you make a statement like ASU having the second best defense by a wide margin you are opening yourself up to everyone seeing just how little you understand about the game itself. The ASU defense played a bend-but-don't-break style of pressure defense to a T. You got some big plays off run after catch yardage and your QB got hit a lot in the process. The truly telling stat was that you weren't able to covert in the redzone, Neither team was.

UTC will be very successful this season against teams like Wofford and GSU if they continue this type of assignment football with the disipline they showed against ASU. I think your jumping the gun a bit to assume that you "should" have won that game. There were many mistakes were made on both sides. It easily could have gone a lot of different ways.

Awesome post. xthumbsupx

appvette
September 29th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Considering he only made one statement in that quote (two questions then a statement), are you saying someone does actually have enough rope to pull you out of your madness? I like the hope you have. It'll inspire the psychiatrist that you're trying.

Not sure why but I LOL'ed at that one.

chattanoogamocs
September 29th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Thursday afternoon and the ASU fans are still arguing with Chattownmocs.

Chattown is sitting in an undisclosed secure location* and saying to himself...."mission accomplished"

(*aka: parent's basement)

App-a-latch-un
September 29th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Here ya go Chattown, reasons you lost straight from your team. http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_210087.asp

Block-A
September 29th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Yay!! we are such a tough physical team. We got 10 free shots on the QB and the best we could do was bruise him!

A REAL defense would have ripped out his liver & made him eat it, then dragged him by the facemask over to the sidelines so the cheerleaders could finish him off.

xsmiley_wix

chattownmocs
September 29th, 2011, 05:32 PM
14-12 FACT

No amount of xbawlingx will change that. You don't respond well to cold, hard reality in your world, enough so that even some of your fellow fans are distancing themselves from your comments. Another FACT.

Don't stop believing though - UTC is 1-0 in SoCon moral victories this season, so ya got that going for ya. xlolx

Are you still arguing with yourself? You have failed to put words in my mouth the whole time but yet you still try. If you have nothing to say about my actual statements then keep your mouth shut. I have never stated that Chattanooga "won" the game. I have simply tried to have a little bit of a more intelligent conversation by talking about why this occored. Since these points could not be counter argued effectively. You chose to try and change my entire argument. Well you might want to try a different tactic because you have failed once again.

SideLine Shooter
September 29th, 2011, 09:38 PM

I'll take luck all day looong.

SideLine Shooter
September 29th, 2011, 09:40 PM

Way to go. So what did all that Red Zone penetration get you? Hint- A BIG ol L.

SideLine Shooter
September 29th, 2011, 09:43 PM

Maybe "Twinkle Toes Ingle" should have stayed out of Yosef's Corner.

ASUMountaineer
September 30th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Thursday afternoon and the ASU fans are still arguing with Chattownmocs.

Chattown is sitting in an undisclosed secure location* and saying to himself...."mission accomplished"

(*aka: parent's basement)

Ehh, I'm not sure what mission he is accomplishing...I can't do much to help the team move on. Besides, it's fun to egg him on.

chattownmocs
September 30th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Way to go. So what did all that Red Zone penetration get you? Hint- A BIG ol L.

Ok, but it made my point and disproves the article that want to make it seem as though Apps defense completely dominated our entire offense in every phase. Try and keep up.

asumike83
September 30th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I have simply tried to have a little bit of a more intelligent conversation by talking about why this occored.

"if any team has ever been lucky to win, it was app. what a bunch of scrubs, this was a fluke! i eat no crow, i give no respect, you couldn't even give our qb a season ending injury!"

If that is your intelligent conversation, I would be very interested in hearing the dumb stuff.

chattownmocs
September 30th, 2011, 08:44 AM
"if any team has ever been lucky to win, it was app. what a bunch of scrubs, this was a fluke! i eat no crow, i give no respect, you couldn't even give our qb a season ending injury!"

If that is your intelligent conversation, I would be very interested in hearing the dumb stuff.

Maybe calling them scrubs was a little much. Never said anything about a season ending enjury either. other than that though, true statements.

cannonballgsu
September 30th, 2011, 08:54 AM
A REAL defense would have ripped out his liver & made him eat it, then dragged him by the facemask over to the sidelines so the cheerleaders could finish him off.

xsmiley_wix

Shhhh, MBP might hear you...

Are you still arguing with yourself? You have failed to put words in my mouth the whole time but yet you still try. If you have nothing to say about my actual statements then keep your mouth shut. I have never stated that Chattanooga "won" the game. I have simply tried to have a little bit of a more intelligent conversation by talking about why this occored. Since these points could not be counter argued effectively. You chose to try and change my entire argument. Well you might want to try a different tactic because you have failed once again.

Well, there is your problem. You lack the necessary equipment to try and perform such a maneuver.

chattownmocs
September 30th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Shhhh, MBP might hear you...

Well, there is your problem. You lack the necessary equipment to try and perform such a maneuver.

I dont know about a maneuver, but your post is Manure.

SideLine Shooter
September 30th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I dont know about a maneuver, but your post is Manure.

And that is something that I am sure you know a lot about.