PDA

View Full Version : JMU's QB Thorpe and 3 others suspended 5 games for testing positive for drugs

Spiderbone
September 26th, 2011, 09:49 AM
WOW! Sucks to be JMU, but at least Mickey did the right thing. Should make UR's game in Harrisonburg a little more interestingxeyebrowx

IaaScribe
September 26th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Whoa. Do you have a link for this?

soccerguy315
September 26th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Whoa. Do you have a link for this?

press conference coming at noon... it's "confirmed" on the JMU boards on CAAzone. possibly others as well.

edit: http://www.csnwashington.com/09/26/11/JMU-starting-QB-suspended-for-five-games/landing.html?blockID=567406&feedID=9656

According to a source within the James Madison football program, JMU starting quarterback Justin Thorpe has been suspended five games for failing a drug test.

Three other players have been suspended as well, but it has not been determined how many games they will miss.

IaaScribe
September 26th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Found this link:

http://www.csnwashington.com/09/26/11/JMU-starting-QB-suspended-for-five-games/landing.html?blockID=567406&feedID=9656

aust42
September 26th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Haven't they ever heard of the Wizonator?

andy7171
September 26th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Looks like we picked the wrong year to not play JMU.

JmuSkinsfan
September 26th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Looks like we picked the wrong year to not play JMU.

You can link to the CAAZone to get the information, so I won't go into depth about what I've already posted everywhere else ... but Thorpe supposedly made a point to quit last year ... made it known to his teammates he was straightening out and re-committing to the team. A lot of the players noticed significant changes in his attitude and leadership of the team and he won a lot of guys over. He is apparently devastated and does not know how he could have possibly failed. He's an idiot, if he tried to dodge this ... knowing he'd likely get singled out for the test since he apparently failed one during his first 3 years ... but if you're Mickey you gotta stick to your guns.

Backup QB, r-Fr Jace Edwards will likely start. He and Thorpe were neck and neck for the competition in the spring and a lot of players believed it was a toss-up and that Thorpe got the nod because of seniority, experience and his newfound attitude and commitment. Edwards went to Midland Lee in Texas (one of their top schools) and his highlight reel on youtube shows a very mobile QB with an accurate arm (again, HS footage, but it was top Texas competition) ... and MM is really high on him ... so we'll see how he plays. Thorpe may never see the field again ... even after the 5 game suspension ... which is a shame for him that it was because of drugs and not on-the-field performance that did him in.

Jace Edwards reel from 2009 at Midland Lee: Very impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t886gxPryXA

GlassOnion
September 26th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Wish I'd have known this before the poll. The other three, were they contributors?

JmuSkinsfan
September 26th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Wish I'd have known this before the poll. The other three, were they contributors?

Chase Williams is one of the other confirmed and he was a backup LB for us.

While no one knows what JMU will be without Thorpe ... many of us were very high on him and he was clearly coming into his own as a leader ... he barely beat out Jace Edwards during the spring ... and if you watch even 2 minutes of Edwards youtube clip that I linked you can see that he is a very mobile QB that fits our system perfectly ... plus throws a great ball. I'm not quite as worried about replacing Thorpe as I am that it is the week of a huge game and Jace will feel all sorts of pressure.

I've been a huge proponent of JT ... I think he's a great athlete and quarterback ... I really wish him well and hope he comes back strong ... but I also want JMU to succeed ... and if Jace is any good and can rally the team around himself ... JT may never get to see the field again. Edwards is a r-Fr.

nelsonjr
September 26th, 2011, 12:15 PM
What's the word on Billy Cosh, has he just not performed well?

JmuSkinsfan
September 26th, 2011, 12:18 PM
What's the word on Billy Cosh, has he just not performed well?

He had a bad spring. Apparently Jace is much better than Cosh ... which is disappointing because Cosh was highly recruited out of HS and a good get for JMU as a transfer. Then again, it's really hard to judge talent when you've never seen it on the field! Maybe Cosh just needs some more reps in the offense and get his feet wet. Edwards was neck and neck with Thorpe in spring ball so I'd assume he is the favorite for now.

Also, MM would not be looking to lift the redshirt off freshman Andre Coble if he was confident in what Cosh had, methinks.

TwoFeathers
September 26th, 2011, 12:28 PM
WOW! Sucks to be JMU, but at least Mickey did the right thing. Should make UR's game in Harrisonburg a little more interestingxeyebrowx

Can we trade in our L from Saturday for a W???

Purple7
September 26th, 2011, 12:31 PM
If he "really" doesn't know how he failed the drug test, then he needs to be getting a second drug test...Don't know what the rules are or if you are just completely hosed if you fail the test. Mistakes do happen in the lab. Just saying.

Doc QB
September 26th, 2011, 12:40 PM
...Thorpe supposedly made a point to quit last year ... made it known to his teammates he was straightening out and re-committing to the team. He's an idiot, if he tried to dodge this ... knowing he'd likely get singled out for the test since he apparently failed one during his first 3 years ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t886gxPryXA

Hardly feel bad for him as a repeat offender, and idiot may be a kind name. After just taking a vacation this past week and reading "Scoreboard, Baby" chronicalling Rick Neuheisal and the Univ Wash 2000 season full of drug arrests , shootings, and rape accusations, and Liberty Univ re-instating their big nose guard after a cocaine arrest that he did not even deny, really makes one question the athletes allowed to get into school, play ball, get it paid for, AND get far too many chances. Its happening at all levels these days. Makes me want to puke.

BisonBabe
September 26th, 2011, 12:48 PM
If he "really" doesn't know how he failed the drug test, then he needs to be getting a second drug test...Don't know what the rules are or if you are just completely hosed if you fail the test. Mistakes do happen in the lab. Just saying.

If they really believe that it is a false positive there is always the option to do a test on his hair.....although if he is guilty this will remove all doubt.

Doc QB
September 26th, 2011, 12:49 PM
If they really believe that it is a false positive there is always the option to do a test on his hair.....although if he is guilty this will remove all doubt.

Me thinks you watch too much CSI...

Doc QB
September 26th, 2011, 12:50 PM

Although, your statement is a true one.

jmufan999
September 26th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I don't know about calling him an "idiot", that may be a bit harsh. He obviously has made poor decisions. There are smart people that make poor decisions.

Obviously, JMU Nation is not happy with what has happened. But we're still 3-1 and it's not like we're taking an automatic loss in any of our games. We're still going to fight to get wins. Mickey went out of his way to save Jace Edwards' redshirt year after Drew Dudzik played so poorly. He was tempted to play him many times but wanted to save the redshirt. He obviously thinks a lot of the young man, so we'll see. I trust Mickey a lot, if he likes the QB, so do I. Just have to see what happens and play our best.

eaglesrthe1
September 26th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Performance enhancing or recreational?

jmufan999
September 26th, 2011, 01:06 PM

I haven't seen the press conference, but all indications are that it was recreational and RUMOR is that it was weed. I am not saying this is a fact, so no one needs to jump all over me for this. I'm at work and can't watch the presser until I get home.

JmuSkinsfan
September 26th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I haven't seen the press conference, but all indications are that it was recreational and RUMOR is that it was weed. I am not saying this is a fact, so no one needs to jump all over me for this. I'm at work and can't watch the presser until I get home.

Weed. 2nd time offense. First time = warning. Second time = 5 game suspension.

I guess he failed prior to this ... not surprising as it was apparently well know that he had used it before (not to the fan base but I guess in inner circles) ... and made a big point to cut it out of his life ... which is why he's supposedly really messed up over it. If he did, in fact, last smoke prior to summer practice beginning in early August, which is what I heard thrown around ... and hasn't touched it since ... that sucks. Definitely a little outside the "1 month in your system" thing ... but that's just cutting it too close anyway.

BisonBabe
September 26th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Me thinks you watch too much CSI...

Although, your statement is a true one.

Hubby was going to work for BNSF (railroad) and they do the hair test as there is to many chances to cheat on the piss test. If you came in with a freshly shaved head they would not even look at your app.

Spiderbone
September 26th, 2011, 03:26 PM

does this answer your question?

dgtw
September 26th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I think they split your urine sample and test the second one if the firs is positive.

bkrownd
September 26th, 2011, 04:21 PM
If you came in with a freshly shaved head they would not even look at your app.

Woah, discrimination against the balding! Can't they do your armpit/chest/pube/buttcrack hairs instead?

bojeta
September 26th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Any indication on the "drugs" being steroids or were they a narcotic?

Just read the Barney post above, but I'm not sure whether or not I should take that one seriously.... :)

JmuSkinsfan
September 26th, 2011, 04:52 PM
No one has said officially ... just that Chase Williams and Justin Thorpe are suspended 5 games by JMU. It's not an NCAA violation ... it's an internal JMU policy. The team gets randomely drug tested throughout the year. If you test positive once ... you get a pass ... test positive a second time and you get a 5 game suspension. A lot of talk about how Thorpe supposedly quit smoking over the summer ... it's really his word against the test's ... but his teammates seem to be supporting Thorpe ... apparently he's wrecked over this (I would be too) ... insult to injury if he did in fact make a point to quit to better himself and gets hit with a suspension because it's still in his system from over the summer.

Clarification: The issue is absolutely over marijuana ... players have said as much ... just nothing official from MM or the AD aside from the the announcement of the suspension.

whitey
September 26th, 2011, 05:22 PM

Unlike your Head Coach who was fired for getting a DUI (also a repeat offender might I add) before the season started, right?

Only one other player was suspended, not 3 like the title of this thread suggests. But yes, this is terrible news for JMU and JT in particular. Everyone makes poor decisions in life. Hopefully he learns from this and puts himself on the right path to success here on out. I'd also just like to add that these are 20 year old kids and I think we all should stop posting rumors and things no one here knows as facts all over the Internet. He was suspended for violating team rules. That's all we need to know and I think everyone should leave it as that.

Now, if people want to discuss how this might impact the JMU/Richmond game this weekend I'm all for it.

BisonBabe
September 26th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Woah, discrimination against the balding! Can't they do your armpit/chest/pube/buttcrack hairs instead?

Not sure I would want to be the one collecting that hair

Squealofthepig
September 26th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Not sure I would want to be the one collecting that hair

I'm sure I would NOT want to be the one collecting that hair!

alvinkayak6
September 26th, 2011, 06:29 PM
It's very hard to test for anything other than recreational drugs. The HGH tests look at the levels of growth hormone you have, and try to determine if those levels are high. It's an indirect measurement. There are also ethical issues, because some HGH tests want to use blood instead of urine. I would say the chances of this being weed are probably 80% or higher

Mattymc727
September 26th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Will these players be back for the JMU vs. UNH game?

alvinkayak6
September 26th, 2011, 08:15 PM
If they are looking at drug-tests, they could be out for the season. Usually it's a 1 year suspension if the NCAA is involved.

JmuSkinsfan
September 26th, 2011, 08:24 PM
If they are looking at drug-tests, they could be out for the season. Usually it's a 1 year suspension if the NCAA is involved.

No ... it is NOT an NCAA test ... and it was not performance substances ... it was WEED. 5 game INTERNAL JMU policy ... they'll both miss 5 games. Now we'll see how well Jace Edwards plays and whether or not Thorpe gets that job back.

alvinkayak6
September 26th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Wonder if they will play better or worse then. xangelxxawesomex

Spiderbone
September 26th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I think we all should stop posting rumors and things no one here knows as facts all over the Internet.

Uhhhh....I don't understand why your panties are in a wad....

1) Coach scott resigned the next day after getting the DUI, he was not fired and he did do the right thing in fact by resigning instead of dragging it out and bringing it to court.
2) There were no rumors with this post or thread, those were actually facts that thorpe smoked pot and got drug tested positive, in case you missed the press release earlier today.

In regards to the game, we beat the same JMU personel last year with our fourth string QB, no ability to score and good defense. I imagine we should put up some points this year.

Spiderbone
September 26th, 2011, 11:01 PM
besides its fun to get the JMU faithful all riled up, I love it when their eyes cross and they sputter nonsense much like Mr. Mickey Matthews. xflamemadx

Squealofthepig
September 26th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Spiderbone - I think his point was more about getting the DUI than about when/how he resigned. However, I do love your points on the game last year - if anyone can overcome ridiculous adversity (be it suddenly being without a coach, or a quarterback!) the Spiders can!

Spiderbone
September 26th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Hey people make mistakes all the time, and as cynical/crass or whatever it may be I am glad it did not happen to the Spiders as they were going into JMU this week.

whitey
September 27th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I think we all should stop posting rumors and things no one here knows as facts all over the Internet.

2) There were no rumors with this post or thread, those were actually facts that thorpe smoked pot and got drug tested positive, in case you missed the press release earlier today.

Practically everything posted in this thread is rumors and not known facts. What press release did you read where it said specifically he was suspended for failing a drug test? The OFFICIAL STATEMENT said he was suspended indefinitely for violating team rules. That's all we know for sure and that's all we'll likely ever know. Now JMU's policy is pretty clear on this and if he is suspended for the next 5 games and comes back after that we can make the assumption that what everyone seems to be saying is most likely fact. But for all we know, maybe he just failed to show up for the drug test and he's only suspended for as long as it takes for him to actually take the test and pass/fail.

My point here is that no one knows with 100% certainty what happened here except for JT, MM and the JMU Athletic Department. So how bout people stop posting this stuff all over the internet?

In regards to the game, we beat the same JMU personel last year with our fourth string QB, no ability to score and good defense. I imagine we should put up some points this year.

If there is any good news to all of this for JMU it's that the Spiders have absolutely no film on Jace Edwards who will likely start at QB now. Since he's a different type of QB than Thorpe that should certainly make things interesting for Richmond when trying to prepare for this game.

alvinkayak6
September 27th, 2011, 11:26 AM
My point here is that no one knows with 100% certainty what happened here except for JT, MM and the JMU Athletic Department. So how bout people stop posting this stuff all over the internet?

I don't think you should chastize people for caring about FCS football. xtwocentsx

When a quarterback for a top team goes out, of course people are going to speculate about what happened. This is a message board, not a national news outlet. I would be willing to bet ESPN has more rumors than any other site because they know that player indiscretion (drugs, sex, violence, crimes) gets reads.

If you have a particular beef with someone for saying negative things about JMU, send them to the smack board!xtroublex

whitey
September 27th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I'm not chastising people for caring about FCS football. I'm all for discussing the game and how JMU's starting QB being suspended could affect THE GAME. I'm chastising people for spreading rumors around that they don't know to be facts. Basically I'm just trying to set the record straight here.

If you have a particular beef with someone for saying negative things about JMU, send them to the smack board!

If I did that, then basically every JMU related thread would be in the smack board. :-)

alvinkayak6
September 27th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I'm not chastising people for caring about FCS football. I'm all for discussing the game and how JMU's starting QB being suspended could affect THE GAME. I'm chastising people for spreading rumors around that they don't know to be facts. Basically I'm just trying to set the record straight here.

I know and respect your concern, but message boards are part-rumor mill. People want to know why players are suspended, and typically the schools don't want people to know. It is a function of human nature to inquire, and I think it would be an unreasonable expectation that people not speculate about the cause of the suspension. If they do, it might as well be here, where there is a lot of FCS talk taking place, and guys like you can set them straight if they cross the line.

If there any specific rumors that you know to be false and you want to squash, list them here and I'll give them a big thumbs down emoticon.

Longhorn
September 28th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I know and respect your concern, but message boards are part-rumor mill. People want to know why players are suspended, and typically the schools don't want people to know. It is a function of human nature to inquire, and I think it would be an unreasonable expectation that people not speculate about the cause of the suspension. If they do, it might as well be here, where there is a lot of FCS talk taking place, and guys like you can set them straight if they cross the line.

If there any specific rumors that you know to be false and you want to squash, list them here and I'll give them a big thumbs down emoticon.

Just about everything in your post is BS, starting with the assertion that "schools don't want people to know". The FACT is the information regarding the players suspended was released, but the exact nature of the player's indiscretion and (assumed drug test) falls under a federal law prohibiting it's release. Hence, speculate all you want, but you're ignoring the facts as already explained to you....two players (not 5) were suspended indefinitely for violating team rules.

alvinkayak6
September 28th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Longhorn, you are way off base to the point of this being a straw man. I was responding to whitey who appeared critical of users such as myself participating in rumors and speculation about the nature of the ALLEGED indiscretions (maybe they are INNOCENT, after all). I attempted to articulate that this criticism was both naive and unfair. First, it is human nature to be curious, and second unfair, because we care about FCS football (both the well-being of coaches and players and teams and the fairness of how they are treated in the media and courtrooms and so forth).

You are barking mad when you tell me that I am ignoring facts (2 players not 5). Where in the H*** did I say anything about the number of players????? Good Lord.xcrazyxxcrazyxxcrazyx

whitey
September 28th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Let's just review what I was saying:

1. I pointed out that I don't think it's fair to drag these kid's names through the mud when no one knows exactly what happened and I suggested it be stopped. This was just a suggestion, not a criticism. This is the internet after all and people are free to say and do what they want.
2. Spiderfan tried to say there was an OFFICIAL press release stating these kids were suspended for failing a drug test and that there were five of them.
3. I quickly replied saying he was completely wrong on both accounts since no one knows the facts and there was no official press release stating such. Again, I did not nor do I now, think it's fair to continue to speculate and spread rumors such as this about 20 year old student athletes.
4. Alvin and I basically agree to disagree about this and that's fine. Too each his own.

I think that about sums it up.

alvinkayak6
September 28th, 2011, 09:02 PM
CAUTION: USER agreement may lead to inordinate reputation pointing. xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4cdad4db4bd7c8c624010000/caution-sign.jpg

SoCon48
September 29th, 2011, 02:46 PM

App had a player a few years back kicked off the team for similar offenses.

heath
September 29th, 2011, 04:40 PM
If you ain't cheating.......you ain't tryingxeyebrowx

JmuSkinsfan
September 29th, 2011, 05:59 PM
If you ain't cheating.......you ain't tryingxeyebrowx

how many times do we have to say that it was M.A.R.I.J.U.A.N.A. ... that aint "cheating" bro ... if anything he was cheating the team.

DTSpider
September 29th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Sad that this happens to kids. for whatever reason, they just can't seem to stay away. every program seems to have this issue (at least, i know that UR has). JMU has handled it well, at least as well as it can in the situation. you give kids the 2nd chance and hope it works, if not, there are more harsh measures. hopefully it gets through at some point. sadly, it sometimes does not. hopefully thorpe can bounce back and return for his senior season, and more importantly, prepare himself for success after graduation.

SpiderSafety75
October 1st, 2011, 12:00 AM
Unlike your Head Coach who was fired for getting a DUI (also a repeat offender might I add) before the season started, right?

So you take this high road about 'rumors' after you throw in this cheap shot that has nothing to do with anything?

Well played.

whitey
October 1st, 2011, 06:21 AM
Well played.

Thanks.