PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Conference Power Rankings - Week 5 (but really week 1)

dgreco
September 25th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I thought I would do some power rankings like in years past and see what everyone thinks.

1. Monmouth - I think they are the "sexy pick" of the week. After the big win vs. CCSU and the win last week vs. Villanova there is no reason why they shouldn't be the #1 team in the power rankings this week.
2. Duquesne - Besides a last second loss to Bucknell (who is having a decent start to the year at 3-1) they have had solid performances and their last two games have been blowouts.
3. Central Connecticut - CCSU played JMU tough, easily handled SCSU, and beat a decent Wagner squad. The Monmouth loss was a hard one to take, but they are still top 3 in the NEC. I think it was a toss up between Bryant and CCSU here, but to avoid homerism and probably the tougher schedule to date I give the bump to CCSU.
4. Bryant - Bryant easily beat SHU and AIC and they played a good game against a decent Wagner squad. The loss to Maine could and probably should have been a win. Bryant had 3 INTs inside the 15 to blow that game. A loss is a loss though so I think they have to prove they can beat the good teams when it gets tough.
5. Albany - Wagner and Albany were a toss up for me and I think Albany has a stronger season overall, so I bumped them in front of Wagner for this week. They had a tough loss to Colgate in OT and I don't know much about the Maine game, but it didn't seem to be that close. This past week they played good and blew out Columbia. I think they go on a nice little run in the next few weeks.
6. Wagner - A decent win vs. St. Francis and then 3 tough and close loses to CCSU, Richmond and Bryant. I think Wagner has a chance to win 5 of its last 7 to show they were a solid squad this year.
7. Robert Morris - I think RMU is better than their 0-3 start but they had two tough losses to Dayton and Morgan State. Two games they should have won. Also, the big loss to Liberty didn't help (and doesn't help since Liberty isn't having a great start.) I am sure RMU will turn the season around but right now they have no real claims to be further up.
8. Sacred Heart - I would of had SHU in the #9 spot prior to the Dartmouth game, but Dartmouth is supposed to be a decent Ivy team and they came away with the win. Unfortunately I think SHU and SFPA are fighting for the basement this year.
9. St. Francis - SFPA had a nice come back win vs. Morehead State, but Morehead State isn't a great program. SFPA other 3 games were 2 blowouts and an almost blowout vs. SFPA. SFPA's schedule doesn't get any easier and I wouldn't be surprise if they can sneak away with one more win this season. IF everything goes perfect maybe two.

aceinthehole
September 26th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Monmouth (2-1) - New frontrunner in the NEC, but not by much. Next up RMU and Colgate.
CCSU (2-2) - A rare stumble at home, but next games vs. SHU and at UMass can vault them back to the top.
Albany (1-2) - Despite the unimpressive record, UA played well in the 2 losses and showed its potential vs. Columbia.
Bryant (3-1) - Gutty win vs. Wagner and a tough loss to Maine are more than enough to keep them in the NEC AQ conversations.
Duquesne (3-1) - A victim of a weaker schedule to date, the Dukes have the opportunity to move up a few spots with a brutal NEC stretch coming up.
Wagner (1-3) - Seahawks are playing very well, but the record just doesn't show it.
SHU (1-3) - After an awful loss to Marist, the upset vs. Dartmouth may be a sign of better days ahead in Fairfield.
SFPA (1-3) - I love these guys, but it is looking more and more like they would be a better fit in the PFL.

M Ruler
September 26th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Dont know much about most of the teams or where they should rank. The NEC is absolutly wide open to most anyone with the exception of SFPA. Yes even SHU with its new found swagger. If SHU loses on Saturday eliminate them from the equation.

I will give you the skinny on Albany as I was at the game on Saturday vs Columbia.
UA without question has a punter that probably should come out after his Jr. season and go pro. This kid kicked a 72 yard punt and his average(without looking it up) is easily 58-60 yard per kick. HE WILL BE PLAYING ON SUNDAYS in a year or two. He could be a top 5 punter (not sure of his national ranking)at any college level. Our Kicker is outsatanding as well. He hit a 48 yarder against Colgate and a 40 + yarder on Sat. these two will win games.

Offense, especially Andrew Smith Albany's Mr. Everything..TB, QB, Wildcat runner, Split end in a few packages(155 yard on the ground) kicked it up a notch as did our Offensive lineman. QB played better and was efficient getting the ball to the perimeter. I still hold my breath when he goes deep. Seems like it takes 10 minutes for the ball to reach the recievers. Still getting used to "Air Ford". I am not sure any UA qb (with the exception of our legendary resident board qb expert, Danefan) that threw for as many yards as these qbs have. Was standing at the entrance after the game with many alumni waiting to say hello to Coach Ford when our Oline came by. I retract what I said about them over on "Big Purple Fans" calling them small. These SOB's are big. Much bigger than I thoughtn they were. I got news, our backups are bigger. They are traditional UA big. Still not at 100% but leaps and bounds better than the first 2 games.

Defense...a work in progress. Better against the run and got a few sacks against a pretty good offensive line and a very good mobile Columbia qb. Pass coverage...gulp...you do the math. They are good tacklers but I am sure I could get open against them and that not something I wanna do or you wanna see in real life.

alvinkayak6
September 26th, 2011, 03:05 PM
It's a really interesting conference this year. Don't sleep on Sacred heart this year, which seems to be the big surprise of the NEC. Monmouth is the new frontrunner, but also keep an eye on Duquesne, which has a lot of D-I FBS transfers or it seems so. St Francis PA seems to have already bottomed out nicely after its OOC win vs Morehead State. I can't see Central Connecticut State University winning it this year.

Original_RMC
September 26th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Monmouth (2-1) - New frontrunner in the NEC, but not by much. Next up RMU and Colgate.
CCSU (2-2) - A rare stumble at home, but next games vs. SHU and at UMass can vault them back to the top.
Albany (1-2) - Despite the unimpressive record, UA played well in the 2 losses and showed its potential vs. Columbia.
Bryant (3-1) - Gutty win vs. Wagner and a tough loss to Maine are more than enough to keep them in the NEC AQ conversations.
Duquesne (3-1) - A victim of a weaker schedule to date, the Dukes have the opportunity to move up a few spots with a brutal NEC stretch coming up.
Wagner (1-3) - Seahawks are playing very well, but the record just doesn't show it.
SHU (1-3) - After an awful loss to Marist, the upset vs. Dartmouth may be a sign of better days ahead in Fairfield.
SFPA (1-3) - I love these guys, but it is looking more and more like they would be a better fit in the PFL.

I know RMU is 0-3 but come on..not to even list them..LOL

dgreco
September 26th, 2011, 07:09 PM
It's a really interesting conference this year. Don't sleep on Sacred heart this year, which seems to be the big surprise of the NEC. Monmouth is the new frontrunner, but also keep an eye on Duquesne, which has a lot of D-I FBS transfers or it seems so. St Francis PA seems to have already bottomed out nicely after its OOC win vs Morehead State. I can't see Central Connecticut State University winning it this year.
Honestly, I would be surprised if SHU won mor ethan 3 games this year. I do not see many wins left on their schedule. Upsets can happen sure, but how likely are they?

aceinthehole
September 26th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I know RMU is 0-3 but come on..not to even list them..LOL

oops! Honest mistake, they've been MIA all season :)

Wagner
RMU (0-3) Disapointing start, but potential to right the ship in NEC play.
SHU

downbythebeach
September 27th, 2011, 12:52 AM
I wanted to mention that duquesne is saying on their website that they are offering 28 scholarships for football

busybee14
September 27th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Truth be told,I think next season you will see a real step foward from Wags. I am hoping for a strong finish this year, starting this week against the Big Red.
Alot of young recruited talent and some transfer kids who cant play due to ncaa transfer rules should help abunch moving foward.