vs. Big East 0-1
vs. Big South 1-1
vs. CAA 0-4
vs. Ivy 5-3
vs. MVFC 0-1
vs. NEC 3-0
vs. PFL 3-0

STANDINGS:
(Patriot League W-L is listed first, followed by overall W-L)

Georgetown 1-0, 3-1
Holy Cross 1-0, 2-1
Bucknell 0-0, 3-1
Lehigh 0-0, 3-1
Fordham* 0-0, 1-2
Colgate 0-1, 1-3
Lafayette 0-1, 1-3

*Ineligible for League championship and auto-bid.

Pard4Life
September 25th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Finally... I was reminded that Harvard is a day game and thought of making a visit to see Lehigh play. That would be bad! Tickets say 6pm on them!

crusader11
September 25th, 2011, 10:18 AM
vs. NEC 3-0

Is this a misprint?

CFBfan
September 25th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Is this a misprint?
No misprint, unless you ask "aceinthehole" who seems to be in denial

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Tickets say 6pm on them!

Do the also say "Lafayette University?"

RichH2
September 25th, 2011, 11:16 AM
UNH over HC. Cross is good and D may be better than LU but UNH O is cranking. Their D is quite bad so HC keeps it close

LU over Yale
Watched tape of Y-Cornell after watching LU-LU both these teams looked very slow and heavy footed. Witt is the real deal however and will keep Y close but not c;lose enuf
Rams over Gate Biddle seems to be mailing it in this yr. If Eachus back switch to Gate
Pards not enuf to stop Harvard
GU BU wow toughest call I'll pick Bison

carney2
September 25th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Finally... I was reminded that Harvard is a day game and thought of making a visit to see Lehigh play. That would be bad! Tickets say 6pm on them!

I got an email from the Lafayette ticket office apologizing for the error. Ticket says 6:00; kickoff is at 1:05 or thereabouts. 6:00 tickets will be honored.

How can this happen, you might ask. It's very simple. Harvard has made Lafayette a preferred pinata. By that I mean that the Pards and Johns will be playing almost every year into the foreseeable future. In order to achieve this exalted status, the Leopards have had to turn total control of the series over to the Johns. No 50/50 or match between equals here. Not even the pretense thereof. This game was originally scheduled for a 6:00 PM start (and, I guess, the tickets were printed). But wait, the Johns say, "We're not busing back to the People's Republic in the wee small hours of the morning. We come to your place in daylight only. Read the rules." Cousin Brucie, the Lafayette UNIVERSITY AD, apologizes profusely and makes the switch. I don't know for certain that this is exactly how it played out, but it seems as obvious as the bourbon stain on my basset hound that was put there when Andrew Shoop overthrew a wide open end zone bound Mitchell Bennett last night in the first play from scrimmage, thereby setting the tone for a coulda, shoulda performance.

Ivytalk
September 25th, 2011, 11:32 AM
UNH
Lehigh
Harvard
Fordham
Bucknell

See you Saturday, carney ( and maybe Bogus and Pard4Life)!

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I got an email from the Lafayette ticket office apologizing for the error. Ticket says 6:00; kickoff is at 1:05 or thereabouts. 6:00 tickets will be honored.

How can this happen, you might ask. It's very simple. Harvard has made Lafayette a preferred pinata. By that I mean that the Pards and Johns will be playing almost every year into the foreseeable future. In order to achieve this exalted status, the Leopards have had to turn total control of the series over to the Johns. No 50/50 or match between equals here. Not even the pretense thereof. This game was originally scheduled for a 6:00 PM start (and, I guess, the tickets were printed). But wait, the Johns say, "We're not busing back to the People's Republic in the wee small hours of the morning. We come to your place in daylight only. Read the rules." Cousin Brucie, the LAfayette AD, apologizes profusely and makes the switch.

Agreed - but putting the game at 1:00 PM instead of 6:00 PM is really just a simple courtesy for Johnnie H. Don't have to to that with Princeton, Penn and Columbia because they can virtually walk home after the game, just like Amory Blaine.

Then again - this is the second year in a row that the Cantabs climb Mount St. Frank. I seem to recall they've been 2-fers the other way for a while. Maybe it's a down payment or something.

carney2
September 25th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Agreed - but putting the game at 1:00 PM instead of 6:00 PM is really just a simple courtesy for Johnnie H. Don't have to to that with Princeton, Penn and Columbia because they can virtually walk home after the game, just like Amory Blaine.

Then again - this is the second year in a row that the Cantabs climb Mount St. Frank. I seem to recall they've been 2-fers the other way for a while. Maybe it's a down payment or something.

You can be fairly certain that it will be more or less home and home from here, but make no mistake that distance was the determining factor in the time switch. We have some sort of a preferred scheduling status with Harvard and this (them calling the shots) is the price we pay.

carney2
September 25th, 2011, 11:48 AM
HOLY CROSS @ New Hampshire – The Crossers are going great, but there is a limit.

Yale @ LEHIGH – A bigger test for the Eli than for the Squawks.

FORDHAM @ COLGATE – Dickie B is riding a dead horse and Eachus won't make much difference.

Harvard @ LAFAYETTE – The Curse lives. Besides, the Johns are just better at football.

GEORGETOWN @ BUCKNELL – Game of the week in the PL. Whoda thunk?! The Hoya's 3-1 is more impressive than the bovine's 3-1.

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2011, 11:50 AM
We have some sort of a preferred scheduling status with Harvard

I am fully prepared not to speculate on the basis for that status. Besides, I've already seen the Polaroids - looks as if KTC Dan has been to the gym lately.

crusader11
September 25th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Rams over Gate Biddle seems to be mailing it in this yr. If Eachus back switch to Gate

This year seems to be a wash for Colgate...something tells me Eachus will be shut down for the rest of the season and redshirt.

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2011, 12:17 PM
something tells me Eachus will be shut down for the rest of the season and redshirt.

xlolxxrotatehxxnodx

Seven years of college down the drain . . .

bulldog10jw
September 25th, 2011, 01:58 PM
UNH
Yale
Fordham
Harvard
Georgetown

RichH2
September 25th, 2011, 02:53 PM
This year seems to be a wash for Colgate...something tells me Eachus will be shut down for the rest of the season and redshirt.

I find that hard to accept. This is the PL not the CAA.

Pard4Life
September 25th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I find that hard to accept. This is the PL not the CAA.

It's not beneath Biddle... Jordan Scott??

Gilmore pulled shenanigans with Randolph so it does happen around here.

Eachus will be back in 2012.

van
September 25th, 2011, 06:51 PM
5-1 last week, Bovine surprised me and Princeton laid down, 20-4 for the year so far.

New Hampshire at home too good for the crusaders
Lehigh over Yale, but worried about an emotional let down after big win over Liberty
Fordham over Gate, could be close if Eachus plays
Harvard over Pards
Hoyas and Bovine, hmmm, maybe a tie? OK, I go with the hometown Bison

ngineer
September 25th, 2011, 07:37 PM
UNH
Lehigh
Harvard
Fordham
Bucknell

See you Saturday, carney ( and maybe Bogus and Pard4Life)!

Too bad game is not at 6 p.m., or I'd join you. We'll take care of ol' Eli for ya. (;-)

ngineer
September 25th, 2011, 07:39 PM

Maybe more truth in that speculation than you think. No one has been able to identify an injury yet that I've heard. Seems to be a state secret.

bulldog10jw
September 25th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Too bad game is not at 6 p.m., or I'd join you. We'll take care of ol' Eli for ya. (;-)

What makes you think IT is hoping Lehigh wins. xconfusedx xlolxxlolx

ngineer
September 25th, 2011, 07:47 PM
A real measuring stick for the Crusaders. They give UNH a battle, but go down, 45-34
Yale seems formidable, but I can't see them slowing down our offense. Defense making improvements. Last time Eli visited Goodman we saw the most putrid offensive display by a Lehigh team since 1966. The ghosts will be exorcised, 41-21.

If Eachus is out, Fordham 31-17. With Eachus, Colgate in OT, 38-34.

Haarvaaard stretches LC's defense and Leopards 'go down to the John', 32-20

Bucknell is feelin' it. Hoyas are feelin' it. Both keep abreast of each other in a thriller where there will be a lot of heavy breathing. Bison put it through the uprights to win, 31-28. (;-)

ngineer
September 25th, 2011, 07:49 PM
What makes you think IT is hoping Lehigh wins. xconfusedx xlolxxlolx

Because I know IT and barristers stick together...

bulldog10jw
September 25th, 2011, 07:54 PM
A real measuring stick for the Crusaders. They give UNH a battle, but go down, 45-34
Yale seems formidable, but I can't see them slowing down our offense. Defense making improvements. Last time Eli visited Goodman we saw the most putrid offensive display by a Lehigh team since 1966. The ghosts will be exorcised, 41-21.

If Eachus is out, Fordham 31-17. With Eachus, Colgate in OT, 38-34.

Haarvaaard stretches LC's defense and Leopards 'go down to the John', 32-20

Bucknell is feelin' it. Hoyas are feelin' it. Both keep abreast of each other in a thriller where there will be a lot of heavy breathing. Bison put it through the uprights to win, 31-28. (;-)

I'll be shocked if Yale scores under 30. Depending on weather, of course.

ngineer
September 25th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I'll be shocked if Yale scores under 30. Depending on weather, of course.

I get sense that our defense is improving. Same thing happened last year. Slow start on D, and by fifth week we got very stingy. Some may depend on whether our two LBs injured Saturday will be game ready. But I don't see Yale having the speed that we have faced versus UNH and Liberty, so I'm expecting some improvement.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 25th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I get sense that our defense is improving. Same thing happened last year. Slow start on D, and by fifth week we got very stingy. Some may depend on whether our two LBs injured Saturday will be game ready. But I don't see Yale having the speed that we have faced versus UNH and Liberty, so I'm expecting some improvement.

Lehigh's defense has been decent imo. They gave up 2 TD's in garbage time against Monmouth, didn't allow an offensive TD against Princeton and stepped up in the second half against Liberty. The biggest weakness on defense has been Johnson at CB.

Who is hurt besides Rivas? Getting Boyko back was huge, he reminds me of McGoey(sp??) from a few years ago. He always seems to be around the ball.

van
September 25th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Lehigh's defense has been decent imo. They gave up 2 TD's in garbage time against Monmouth, didn't allow an offensive TD against Princeton and stepped up in the second half against Liberty. The biggest weakness on defense has been Johnson at CB.

Who is hurt besides Rivas? Getting Boyko back was huge, he reminds me of McGoey(sp??) from a few years ago. He always seems to be around the ball.

LB's are not a problem, very good depth here. I'm afraid Gabe J is gonna get picked on a lot. Andrews on the other side is not where you want to throw the ball.

carney2
September 25th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Early forecast of Saturday weather for the Lehigh Valley - and I assume for the rest of the mid-Atlantic region:

Highs in the upper 50s, mostly cloudy with only a 10% chance of rain.

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Holy Cross at New Hampshire - The team that Sader87 loves to hate flushed the Johns just before the bye and now is rested and ready to ride to Durham to battle its stalwart 2-1 CAA challengers. A close call in New Hampshire's earlier PL tilt doesn't necessarily mean that the Wootown Wonderfuls have the wherewithal to whether the Wildcats. They'll do their damndest, though, and could prove me wrong. A stimulant-laced breakfast at Miss Worcester might help. New Hampshire 31-28.

Yale at Lehigh - a grad-school female "acquaintance" of mine - a Yale alum - explained to me once upon a time that the plural of "Eli" is "Elohim." Elohim Schmolhim. Having exchanged dignity for athletic prowess, Lehigh is just too big and fast. The Faustian Fowl in a rout. Lehigh 35-9.

Fordham at Colgate - Instead of adhering to their age-old principles of fairness and benevolence towards academically-inclined pupils from disadvantaged families within the parish, the Ewes recently began paying random, anonymous high school "graduates" of questionable faith to post digs in the Bronx, just so Fordham could pounce upon opportunities such as this. The Eachusless Bick Diddlers stand not a chance here, despite the higher moral ground. Fordham 24-7

Harvard at Lafayette - Image is everything, you know. Now that Johnnie H. is able to sport - in polite company - his authentic Polartec™ Lafayette University™ shawl, together with a genuine, made-in-USA, Patriot Conference™ cashmere boa by Danny KTC™ ($79.95 plus tax and shipping), services at Lafayette's hallowed Colton Chapple™ will never be the same. Hide the wife, hide the kids. Lafayette 24-16.

Georgetown at Bucknell - No beltway TV for the Hoyas once again? Of course they know that they're way too good to lug their landlines to Lewisburg, even if Verizon Inc. orders them otherwise to do so. Why buy the cow when you can have the milk for free? BisonVision will do it for nothing! After weeks of hand-wringing and second-guessing, the smarter-than-you intelligentsia in and around 37th and O have figured out that no-cost television coverage might produce a calculable ROI for Bulldog football. Except when you lose. Bucknell 27-16.

crusader11
September 25th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Hide the wife, hide the kids. Lafayette 24-16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnaVoTfkqa8

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2011, 06:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnaVoTfkqa8

Did you know that the guy who created "Auto-Tune the News" came from Appalachian State? Yet another plus for that fine institution (as if they need more praise down there)!

jimbo65
September 26th, 2011, 07:24 AM
UNH over HC

Lehigh over Yale

FU over Gate

Harvard over Pars

Bucknell over GTown

Ivytalk
September 26th, 2011, 09:48 AM
:Dxlolx
Harvard at Lafayette - Image is everything, you know. Now that Johnnie H. is able to sport - in polite company - his authentic Polartec™ Lafayette University™ shawl, together with a genuine, made-in-USA, Patriot Conference™ cashmere boa by Danny KTC™ ($79.95 plus tax and shipping), services at Lafayette's hallowed Colton Chapple™ will never be the same. Hide the wife, hide the kids. Lafayette 24-16.

Hide the wife? Only if she's a gorgeous preppie with a family boodle. Hide the kids? Not if they mind their manners and photograph well. Oh, and Jeeves, don't forget the Macallan 18!

Ivytalk
September 26th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Because I know IT and barristers stick together...

I did pick LU. I think it will be a shootout at Goodman. Witt is off to a strong start, but I don't think Yale's D can contain the Hawks.

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2011, 09:54 AM
:Dxlolx

Oh, and Jeeves, don't forget the Macallan 18!

How frightfully insulting. Jeeves always has had a sommelier on his staff to take care of that. Why, I never!

EDIT - here is Johnnie, modeling his chic new Patriot Conference™ apparel -

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/2716/johnharvardscarffixcrop.png

Johnnie H. was a political engineering major
and varsity hedge fund scribe during his playing
days on College Hill. This handsome memorial
to his entrepreneurial prowess features Johnnie
sporting an authentic Polartec™ Lafayette
University™ shawl together with the genuine
Patriot Conference™ cashmere boa by Danny KTC™
($79.95 plus tax and shipping).

The statue is situated prominently in front of
Colton Chapple™ on the Lafayette campus.

Ivytalk
September 26th, 2011, 10:50 AM
xcoolx
How frightfully insulting. Jeeves always has had a sommelier on his staff to take care of that. Why, I never!

EDIT - here is Johnnie, modeling his chic new Patriot Conference™ apparel -

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/2716/johnharvardscarffixcrop.png

Johnnie H. was a political engineering major
and varsity hedge fund scribe during his playing
days on College Hill. This handsome memorial
to his entrepreneurial prowess features Johnnie
sporting an authentic Polartec™ Lafayette
University™ shawl together with the genuine
Patriot Conference™ cashmere boa by Danny KTC™
($79.95 plus tax and shipping).

The statue is situated prominently in front of
Colton Chapple™ on the Lafayette campus.

And so it begins...

danefan
September 26th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Is this a misprint?

What was the record last year you ask? Oh it was 4-1 in favor of the NEC with the one loss being by 1 point.

So that makes it 4-4 over a two-year span.

Ace is not in denial about anything. His point is the NEC=Patriot as a whole league. Every once in a while a team from either league will be very strong. Lehigh is this year's team and HC is solid as well. I'm OK saying that I think both HC and Lehigh would probably win the NEC this year. I'm also OK saying that I truly think Robert Morris would have had a really good chance to win the Patriot League last year.

I'm not sure why some of you guys hold onto the theory that the Patriot is somehow leaps and bound above the NEC.

crusader11
September 26th, 2011, 11:16 AM
FCS Conference rankings:

1 Colonial 28.56
2 Southern 31.01
3 Missouri Valley 39.04
4 Great West 39.12
5 Big Sky 47.44
6 Southland 58.50
7 Patriot League 59.65
8 OH Valley 62.58
9 Ivy League 72.33
10 FCS Indep 76.09
11 Big South 80.05
12 Northeast 80.48
13 Mid-Eastern AC 84.96
14 Southwestern AC 90.91
15 Pioneer 97.38

With the Patriot League rated as almost the 6th best conference, and the NEC being 12th, there is still a sizable gap.

I do agree with you though, the top 2 teams in the NEC can compete with PL teams. Although, it isn't saying much this year when two of the NEC's better teams lost to PL teams. A weak Colgate team defeated Albany and Lehigh spanked Monmouth.

danefan
September 26th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Is this a misprint?

FCS Conference rankings:

1 Colonial 28.56
2 Southern 31.01
3 Missouri Valley 39.04
4 Great West 39.12
5 Big Sky 47.44
6 Southland 58.50
7 Patriot League 59.65
8 OH Valley 62.58
9 Ivy League 72.33
10 FCS Indep 76.09
11 Big South 80.05
12 Northeast 80.48
13 Mid-Eastern AC 84.96
14 Southwestern AC 90.91
15 Pioneer 97.38

With the Patriot League rated as almost the 6th best conference, and the NEC being 12th, there is still a sizable gap.

I do agree with you though, the top 2 teams in the NEC can compete with PL teams. Although, it isn't saying much this year when two of the NEC's better teams lost to PL teams. A weak Colgate team defeated Albany and Lehigh spanked Monmouth.

1. Where do those rankings come from?
2. You can look year to year and see differences. Hence the 4-1 record last year versus the 3-0 record this year. Its the nature of conferences that don't offer a full allotment of scholarships to fluctuate from year to year.

I didn't say the "top 2 teams can compete with Patriot League schools". I said the league on whole is generally comparable. You have your outliers, but the top of the Patriot League is never going to year-in and year-out be better than the NEC again. Its just not going to happen when you have NEC schools with 40 scholarships. The gap between the leagues is gone. Stay in the dark as long as you want, but anyone with any sense of objectivity will agree with me and has, including posters from your conference.

Continue rambling on though. I'm not going to hijack the thread any longer, especially considering there aren't even any NEC vs. PL games this week. Carry on.

crusader11
September 26th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Well, the top of the Patriot League is much better than the top of the NEC this year. There, I said it. Lehigh wiped the floor with Monmouth who may very well be the best team in the NEC this year (defeated Villanova and CCSU). A very weak Colgate team beat perennial NEC power Albany.

Lehigh and Holy Cross are definitely better football teams than any team the NEC has to offer this year.

danefan
September 26th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Well, the top of the Patriot League is much better than the top of the NEC this year. There, I said it. Lehigh wiped the floor with Monmouth who may very well be the best team in the NEC this year (defeated Villanova and CCSU). A very weak Colgate team beat perennial NEC power Albany.

Lehigh and Holy Cross are definitely better football teams than any team the NEC has to offer this year.

As it stands today I agree with you. Patriot is up this year and the NEC is down. I said that after week 1.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I'm not sure why some of you guys hold onto the theory that the Patriot is somehow leaps and bound above the NEC.

You mean, Lehigh 13, UNI 7?

danefan
September 26th, 2011, 11:51 AM
You mean, Lehigh 13, UNI 7?

And?

Did you forget what happened the next week?

Sorry LFN - I don't think one good win by one Patriot league team supports the fact that the entire Patriot League is leaps and bounds above the NEC.

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2011, 12:19 PM
All of this is reminiscent of that guy from Georgia State last season. If we just agree that the Patriot League sucks and can't hole a candle to the NEC, top to bottom, I'm sure none of us would really care. I'll send you a championship T-Shirt from the new Patriot Conference™ Store.

TheValleyRaider
September 26th, 2011, 12:32 PM
4-2 last week, 19-5 for the season. So far, not too shabby, except for a very notable 3 losses by dear old alma mater

Holy Cross at New Hampshire New Hampshire Holy Cross certainly looks like a potential contender for this year's PL crown, and will be definitely aided by coming off a bye week. But, UNH already has a win over the League's prohibitive favorite (Lehigh), and did so on the road, no less. HC hung tough with UMass under the lights at Fitton, but on the road against a possibly better team? Can't see it

Yale at Lehigh Lehigh Intriguing matchup between two of the top teams in their respective leagues. PL so far is holding the edge against their Ivy rivals, and with this game being in Bethlehem, I think the lead is extended. Lehigh continues to play well, and while the Bulldogs have the weapons to keep it close, their wins over Georgetown and Cornell don't impress me enough to think they top the Hawks

Fordham at Colgate Colgate The Raiders return home after a road trip that was, quite frankly, disastrous. The loss of Eachus has only compounded the defense's weakness. As for Fordham, I'm still not sure what to make of the Rams. It seems like they can score, but how good is their defense really? Colgate pushed them around in the Bronx last year, and I'm hoping a little home-cooking for the Raiders gets them back in the win column

Harvard at Lafayette Harvard I'll be honest, I have no idea what to do with this game. The Leopards show brief signs of life by beating Penn, but then it's back to ineffectiveness against Stony Brook. Of course, Harvard lost a tough one to a good Holy Cross team, and then followed it by knocking over Brown. I suppose, then, that this wasn't terribly difficult, but Lafayette always seems to have a surprise or two. Probably not, though

Georgetown at Bucknell Bucknell The Bison have actually won 3 in a row against the PL's southernmost member, though the two meetings prior to 2009 in Lewisburg. Both look quite improved from recent vintages, both riding high on confidence coming into this one. Looking at their losses points me to the Hoyas, especially after their loss (Yale) hammered the Bison loss (Cornell). Still, these teams usually play one another close, and Bucknell looks like a solid team at home. I'll take the Bison, but I don't feel great about it

danefan
September 26th, 2011, 12:39 PM
All of this is reminiscent of that guy from Georgia State last season. If we just agree that the Patriot League sucks and can't hole a candle to the NEC, top to bottom, I'm sure none of us would really care. I'll send you a championship T-Shirt from the new Patriot Conference™ Store.

Come on Bogus - we're nowhere near the level of Ga. State fans. We're just point out that your high horse isn't necessarily as high as it once was....

aceinthehole
September 26th, 2011, 12:41 PM
More nonsense from you guys.

This season Lehigh is good, very good. I think we can all agree on that. After that everything is still a toss up.

Holy Cross, still has a lot to prove. Wins vs Colgate and Harvard are good, but not great. Loss to UMass was close.

Monmouth beat 'Nova and CCSU, which is as good or better than the 'gate/Harvard wins. Loss to Lehigh of course stings but isn't season defining.

CCSU played very well at JMU and has yet to play at UMass. The Monmoth loss alone doesn't say too much.

Monmouth has 'Gate.
SHU has Columbia
Wagner has G'town.

Still some football to be played before anyone can say this has been an up or down year for the NEC.

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2011, 01:00 PM
We're just point out that your high horse isn't necessarily as high as it once was....

I'm exclusively a low rider, myself.

The only thing I'm concerned about here is why I haven't taken any gruff for use of the phrase, "Eachusless Bick Diddlers." I suppose the week is young . . .

Franks Tanks
September 26th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I'm exclusively a low rider, myself.

The only thing I'm concerned about here is why I haven't taken any gruff for use of the phrase, "Eachusless Bick Diddlers." I suppose the week is young . . .

I think many Colgate fans have entered the Lafayette zone. Not only do we not get offended when our team is made fun of, but we laugh along and join in.

Lafalumni29
September 26th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Come on Bogus - we're nowhere near the level of Ga. State fans. We're just point out that your high horse isn't necessarily as high as it once was....

We have no delusions of grandeur here in the PL (except for a few Lehigh fans) xlolx. Until the NEC makes some noise in the playoffs, you shouldn't either. Just sayin....

danefan
September 26th, 2011, 01:48 PM
We have no delusions of grandeur here in the PL (except for a few Lehigh fans) xlolx. Until the NEC makes some noise in the playoffs, you shouldn't either. Just sayin....

No delusions of grandeur here. The NEC is a middle of the road conference that is experiencing a down year (so far).

Heck - I've lobbied for years for Albany to get out of the NEC. I just think its comical to see some PL fans that continue to think the NEC vs. PL comparison is the same as it was 10 years ago.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 26th, 2011, 01:53 PM
No delusions of grandeur here. The NEC is a middle of the road conference that is experiencing a down year (so far).

Heck - I've lobbied for years for Albany to get out of the NEC. I just think its comical to see some PL fans that continue to think the NEC vs. PL comparison is the same as it was 10 years ago.

This isn't to sound pompous but i truly believe that the PL needs Lehigh to be good. I think for whatever reason the Hawks are able to gain respect faster from the FCS community than other teams in the league. Not saying this is fair but it's an observation i've made over the last 10 years or so.

carney2
September 26th, 2011, 02:00 PM
What is wrong with you people? Here are some rules to live by:

Do not discuss religion with anyone.
Do not discuss politics with anyone.
Do not discuss anything with MPLSBison ever.
Do not discuss anything with sader87 ever. (Although his joke status makes him less of a pariah.)
Do not discuss anything with that Flyer guy ever.
Do not get involved in discussions about the merits, or lack thereof, of the NEC.

Shape up.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Still some football to be played before anyone can say this has been an up or down year for the NEC.

I agree.

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2011, 02:43 PM
This isn't to sound pompous but i truly believe that the PL needs Lehigh to be good.

Who wants to start? Anyone? Anyone?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 26th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Who wants to start? Anyone? Anyone?

BM, you're a smart guy, you know what i mean.

RichH2
September 26th, 2011, 05:02 PM

Do not discuss anything with sader87 ever. (Although his joke status makes him less of a pariah.)
Do not get involved in discussions about the merits, or lack thereof, of the NEC.

Shape up.
I have duifully taped these standing rules to my computer to insure no future violations.

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2011, 06:51 PM
BM, you're a smart guy, you know what i mean.

I do. But I try not to miss an opportunity when one is presented . . . :D

Sader87
September 26th, 2011, 07:05 PM
]No delusions of grandeur here. [/B] The NEC is a middle of the road conference that is experiencing a down year (so far).

Plenty of it in Worcester, Mass. And yes, Holy Cross is the straw that stirs the drink in both Patriot League football and basketball. No Holy Cross, no Patriot League.

DFW HOYA
September 26th, 2011, 07:07 PM

Shape up.

Do not try to guess what and when PL presidents are thinking about scholarships.
Do not try to figure out where Fordham will go after 2012. Even they may not know.
Do not try to argue that Villanova, Richmond, or W&M are Patriot League expansion targets. (Unless this is suddenly 1986.)
Do not discuss rivalries other than Lehigh-Lafayette.
Do not use the phrase "Verizon FiOS" with Pard fans.
Do not remind sader87 that Holy Cross turned down the Big East.
And...
Do not ask DFW HOYA how long it has been since Georgetown stopped work on the MSF. (2200 days as of today.)

CrusaderBob
September 26th, 2011, 07:07 PM

Shape up.

You forgot two classic blunders the most famous of which is

Never get involved in a land war in Asia

and the second but only slightly less well-known is this:

Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2011, 07:25 PM
What is wrong with you people? Here are some rules to live by . . .

. . . Do not get involved in discussions about the merits, or lack thereof, of the NEC.

Agreed, but strict compliance might be a little harsh. I propose that discussion of the NEC should be limited as follows:

If your college is scheduled to play an NEC team on the Saturday immediately following, you may

Assess the relative strengths and weaknesses only of the two teams involved in that contest, and only as to one another;

Predict a winner and/or score for that game;

Inquire about directions to the game and broadcast information, if any;

Ask if anybody has ever heard of the NEC institution in question before now.

By adhering carefully to these rules, we can avoid a complete ban, which would require behaving as if both the upcoming game and the NEC opponent do not exist. Perhaps The Committee can consider waivers for certain institutions (i.e. Duquesne) on an ad hoc basis.

Ken_Z
September 26th, 2011, 07:40 PM
loving this thread, but one question. what is the NEC and what does it have to do with PL football?

Bogus Megapardus
September 26th, 2011, 07:58 PM
And yes, Holy Cross is the straw that stirs the drink in both Patriot League football and basketball.

I was out at my favorite watering hole the other night. The guy sitting 3 seats down from me had had a couple too many; he picked up his Southern Comfort concoction, brought it up to take a swig, and proceeded to poke himself squarely in the eye with the swizzle stick.

Every time that happens I think of Sader87.

loving this thread, but one question. what is the NEC and what does it have to do with PL football?

I see that the Bison are now fully compliant.

ngineer
September 26th, 2011, 10:16 PM
This isn't to sound pompous but i truly believe that the PL needs Lehigh to be good. I think for whatever reason the Hawks are able to gain respect faster from the FCS community than other teams in the league. Not saying this is fair but it's an observation i've made over the last 10 years or so.

As with many things in the sporting world, reputations linger long after facts change. I think Lehigh gets the benefit of the doubt because we have had a bit of success in the NCAA playoffs. The D-II Championship followed a couple years later with some good playoff appearances and even a few wins back in the late '90's and early in the 00's (even the one point loss to JMU in '04 gave some credibility). Last years win AT UNI was an eye opener for a lot of people. It's the same with other schools..look how Delaware, EWU, GSU, Montana still get a lot of votes in years they are down. It's their reputation that lingers even when not merited. Then when the penduluum swings back, they get the benefit of an early wave.

carney2
September 27th, 2011, 08:58 AM
As of Monday afternoon at 4:00, Lafayette coach Frank Tavani, lifted the "indefinite" suspensions of sophomores Patrick Mputu (RB), Matt Grant (WR) and Patrick McCain (QB). All will be available for Saturday's home opener vs. Harvard. None will start.

In addition, senior QB Ryan O'Neil may be cleared after suffering a concussion in the second game of the season at Georgetown, and, if so, will also be available. Many in Pardville see a QB controversy looming, as junior Andrew Shoop has seemingly brought a new dimension to a heretofore all too predictable, uninspiring and ineffective offense.

Junior RB Vaughn Hebron, who has been recovering from an ankle injury, could be available for Saturday's game against Harvard, but will probably be held out through the bye week and "reactivated" for the October 15th home game vs. Yale.

Ken_Z
September 27th, 2011, 09:33 AM
As of Monday afternoon at 4:00, Lafayette coach Frank Tavani, lifted the "indefinite" suspensions of sophomores Patrick Mputu (RB), Matt Grant (WR) and Patrick McCain (QB). All will be available for Saturday's home opener vs. Harvard. None will start.

why were they suspended? is their return an indication that Lafayette is becoming a rogue team which should be promoted to a higher level league e.g. the NEC or PFL?

how much will their return impact the team? want to accurately assess how much i should predict the Leps lose by this week.

Pard4Life
September 27th, 2011, 09:48 AM
They were suspended for smoking the reefer. Four games. Our columnist Reinhart said that this is only a one game suspension or less elsewhere. Look at Liberty for example. They will have no impact on our projected 28 point loss.

carney2
September 27th, 2011, 09:59 AM
why were they suspended? is their return an indication that Lafayette is becoming a rogue team which should be promoted to a higher level league e.g. the NEC or PFL?

how much will their return impact the team? want to accurately assess how much i should predict the Leps lose by this week.

Assuming that someone wants a serious answer to these halfassed questions,

Only Mputu will have any impact this Saturday, but will not, as P4L indicates, turn the expected loss into a victory. The running game is, however, better with him than without. The other two will not get their uniforms dirty. As for "rogue team" and which league, the Pards have spent the last year and a half playing like a second division bunch from a Bucks County AA high school league, so I leave it to the football geniuses in Buffalo to figure that one out.

One final note: no O-line, no team - and that solution is 11 months away.

Bogus Megapardus
September 27th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Assuming that someone wants a serious answer to these halfassed questions

I dunno, carney - the question seems fully assed to me. Could an elevation to the NEC be within reach for the Pardsvillian Peashooters some day? Seems like a stretch . . . .

ColgateTD
September 27th, 2011, 11:01 AM
UNH- HC: in a close one
Yale - Lehigh: Engineers get revenge againt a nemesis
Colgate - Rams: this will shock the PL and posters, but really feel DB turns the season around this Sat.
Harvard - Lafayette: - after the SB disaster, I just can't back the Pards this week.
G'town - Bison: could be close but Hoyas are showing just enough balls to get this done.

Ken_Z
September 27th, 2011, 12:33 PM
They were suspended for smoking the reefer. Four games. Our columnist Reinhart said that this is only a one game suspension or less elsewhere. Look at Liberty for example. They will have no impact on our projected 28 point loss.

thanks. minor violation, you may retain PL status. one game would have been sufficient in my mind.

Ken_Z
September 27th, 2011, 12:41 PM
As for "rogue team" and which league, the Pards have spent the last year and a half playing like a second division bunch from a Bucks County AA high school league, so I leave it to the football geniuses in Buffalo to figure that one out.

yes, one of our many areas of expertise is supporting a second division football team. hopefully, that outcome will end soon, and ten years from now, we will have repressed these memories and look down with disdain at those schools that field sub .500 teams

carney2
September 27th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Colgate - Rams: this will shock the PL and posters, but really feel DB turns the season around this Sat.

The biggest mountain that the 'gaters have yet to climb is Mt. ChickenSquawk, so, yes, there could be some "Ws" in your future. As for turning it around, ain't gonna happen. The last three games have "successfully" flushed 2011 football down the drain. This was a preseason Top 25, Patriot League champion, FCS playoffs contender that has played itself into oblivion. We here in Pardland welcome you to the Land of the Lost where we have unhappily taken a long term lease.

LUHawker
September 27th, 2011, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=ColgateTD;1685473]
QUOTE]

Based on what? Has Colgate shown something under that surface that is now about to emerge or has Eachus recovered from his "undisclosed" injury and is now ready to vie for the Payton award? Colgate very well may win this weekend, but I am also not seeing the sudden turnaround for the season.

RichH2
September 27th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Even with Eachus back, Gate not a good team yet. If he plays Sat. I think they might pull out a sqeaker if Eachus can run it 25-30 times. Keep O on the field. Gate D is among the missing. So far they have been poor across the board.

ngineer
September 27th, 2011, 09:25 PM

No wonder the team seemed out of joint, and appeared to be making only a token effort...(;-)

Bogus Megapardus
September 27th, 2011, 09:29 PM
No wonder the team seemed out of joint, and appeared to be making only a token effort...(;-)

Now that's more like it. You get two Grouchos and a Hawkeye Pierce. xsmileyclapx

Pard4Life
September 27th, 2011, 10:52 PM

You really have to wonder...

Fordhamanhattan
September 28th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Rams over Andy Rooney's school as the talented freshmen receivers Brian Wetzel (Dallas' Jesuit Prep), Sam Ajala (Desoto, Texas) and freshman QB the impossibly blond Peter Maetzold (Houston area's Friendswood hook horns.
The erstwhile engineers over the Eli.
Not Vermont over the righteous ones.
Harvard
John Carroll's boys over Buffalo Bill's.
xeyebrowx

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2011, 01:10 PM
freshman QB the impossibly blond Peter Maetzold

The "impossibly blond QB" now appears to be a Patriot League trend. We'll trade your Peter Maetzold

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8579/6801672.jpg

for our "The Surfer Dude" - Lafayette's sophomore QB from Coral Gables, Fla.

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/4172/surferdude.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2011, 08:18 PM
The early lines:

New Hampshire (-11.5) vs Holy Cross

Cornell (-1.5) vs Wagner

Lehigh (-12) vs Yale

Harvard (-7) at Lafayette

Georgetown (pk) at Bucknell

Fordham (pk) at Colgate

Penn (pk) at Dartmouth

Columbia (-4) at Princeton

Rhode Island (-3) at Brown

Other games of interest:

Jacksonville (-14) at Marist

Delaware (-5) at Maine

James Madison (-6) vs Richmond

Villanova (-3) vs William & Mary

These are the earliest lines this week. I'll try to update them as they change.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Updated, with the over/under for each game:

New Hampshire (-11.5) vs Holy Cross o/u 58

Cornell (-1.5) vs Wagner o/u 44.5

Lehigh (-12) vs Yale o/u 55

Harvard (-7) at Lafayette o/u 43.5

Georgetown (pk) at Bucknell o/u 46

Fordham (pk) at Colgate o/u 49

Penn (pk) at Dartmouth o/u 46.5

Columbia (-4) at Princeton o/u 46

Rhode Island (-3) at Brown o/u 39

Other games of interest:

Jacksonville (-14) at Marist o/u 59.5

Delaware (-5) at Maine o/u 40

James Madison (-6) vs Richmond o/u 35.5

Villanova (-3) vs William & Mary o/u 36

ngineer
September 28th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Lehigh giving 12 points to Yale?! Not on my card. Eli look decent with an excellent QB. Might we win by two TDs? Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it. The point spread on the UNH/HC game is also interesting. Should be a high scoring affair.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 29th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Richmond and the points has to be the best gambling deal of the year. If I were a gambling man, that is.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 29th, 2011, 12:47 AM
16-8 Overall

Colgate 27 Fordham 20 - Colgate is getting the Rams offense at just the right time. Plus, the return of Eachus doesn't hurt either.
Georgetown 24 Bucknell 21 - I flipped a coin, true story....
Harvard 38 Lafayette 24 - Lafayette hangs around for most of the game before the Crimson break their back.
New Hampshire 34 Holy Cross 24 - Crusaders hang tough before running out of gas late.
Lehigh 31 Yale 17 - The Hawks defense and rushing attack are better than some realize. Witt will have to deal with the most pressure he's faced all year.

Bogus Megapardus
September 29th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Ross "The Scheuermanator" Scheuerman, Lafayette's freshman tailback, has been placed on the Jerry Rice Award watch list. I didn't know there was a Jerry Rice Award, much less a watch list, but I assume that this is a good thing for The Sherm.

Early rumors of The Scheuermanator being the second coming of Nate Eachus (who isn't even gone, I know) will find substantiation (or not) as the PL part of the schedule gets underway.

carney2
September 29th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Early rumors of The Scheuermanator being the second coming of Nate Eachus (who isn't even gone, I know) will find substantiation (or not) as the PL part of the schedule gets underway.

Hype, thy name is Bogie. Eachus will be remembered as special. Scheuerman will be remembered as good, and a little lucky in that he got all that playing time in his freshman year to build some stats.

Pard4Life
September 29th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Ross "The Scheuermanator" Scheuerman, Lafayette's freshman tailback, has been placed on the Jerry Rice Award watch list. I didn't know there was a Jerry Rice Award, much less a watch list, but I assume that this is a good thing for The Sherm.

That's not fair... he is half-man, half-machine.

Pard4Life
September 29th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Hype, thy name is Bogie. Eachus will be remembered as special. Scheuerman will be remembered as good, and a little lucky in that he got all that playing time in his freshman year to build some stats.

Agreed... he is not a between the tackles runner, will not surpass 1000 yards in a season, and will not carry for 40 times per game no matter how present the Frankosaurus may be...

RichH2
September 29th, 2011, 11:44 AM
"Shermianator" HUH. Well I guess you mean the character in the American pie movie.

Franks Tanks
September 29th, 2011, 12:07 PM
"Shermianator" HUH. Well I guess you mean the character in the American pie movie.

Yes-- only ours is adept at taking wheel passes to the house. Scheurman is a different type of back than Eachus, but I believe he has a chance to gain over 1,000 yards in the future. He is only a freshman, and still developing physically. He also comes from a historically poor high school program, and is still adapting to the college game. He is however a gamebreaker. He can take it to the house from anywhere on the field, and he and Mputu will be a very complimentary 1-2 punch for us in the future if we can get our line play back to averge or better.

Pard4Life
September 29th, 2011, 12:10 PM
How can one accurately predict the Lafayetter score? If we see either Shoop, O'Niell, or both... we are going to see wildly different results.

Bogus Megapardus
September 29th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Updated lines. Changes are in bold. Note that the Villanova/William & Mary line has flipped.

Fordham (pk) at Colgate o/u 49 Colgate (-1.5)

Other games of interest:

Delaware (-5) at Maine o/u 40 Delaware (-6)

James Madison (-6) vs Richmond o/u 35.5 James Madison (-4.5)

Villanova (-3) vs William & Mary o/u 36 William & Mary (-5.5)

Ivytalk
September 29th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Updated lines. Changes are in bold. Note that the Villanova/William & Mary line has flipped.

Fordham (pk) at Colgate o/u 49 Colgate (-1.5)

Other games of interest:

Delaware (-5) at Maine o/u 40 Delaware (-6)

James Madison (-6) vs Richmond o/u 35.5 James Madison (-4.5)

Villanova (-3) vs William & Mary o/u 36 William & Mary (-5.5)

The smart money is running away from Nova!

crusader11
September 29th, 2011, 02:47 PM
4-2 last week and 18-6 overall...

HOLY CROSS @ New Hampshire UNH sleeps on HC after their big win over Richmond. The Cross has had two weeks to prepare for the vaunted UNH offense...
Yale @ LEHIGH Although it wouldn't surprise me to see Yale win in an upset. Witt is the best QB in the Ivy League.
FORDHAM @ COLGATE How much longer does Tom Masella have at Fordham?
Harvard @ LAFAYETTE Would love nothing more than to see Lafayette win this, but can't see it happening.
GEORGETOWN @ BUCKNELL Can't believe that the winner of this game will be 4-1.

carney2
September 29th, 2011, 03:25 PM
How much longer does Tom Masella have at Fordham?

Now there is a question deserving of its own thread. One unexpected championship and a lot of underperforming. Four years of Skelton, one championship, and three nothings. If he can't win next year with his 3rd scholarship class, he should be shown the door.

Fordhamanhattan
September 29th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Tom Massella is safe for at least two more years. He readily admits that we have holes in our junior and senior classes as the Patriot League started squeezing us with this academic banding nonsense that they were not to concerned with until the Rams started winning championships. Tom is a perfect fit at Fordham, a New Yorker former firefighter who is a good coach once we get the material, which we will as reflected in our freshman class. Watch out! By the way, pure in football not so pure in wrestling, ice hockey and basketball. Quel nonsense! Scholarship football is the way to go. We can now get the Bergen Catholic kid (our natural constituency) whose parents are moderately affluent.:)

DFW HOYA
September 29th, 2011, 04:17 PM
He readily admits that we have holes in our junior and senior classes as the Patriot League started squeezing us with this academic banding nonsense that they were not to concerned with until the Rams started winning championships.

The banding has been there since Fordham joined. The Rams enjoyed the benefit by being well under the PL average while, conversely, Georgetown was at the high end. Fordham had high band kids that couldn't even make it into Georgetown's low band some years.

The best solution remains no index at all, but that ruffles too many feathers in Center Valley.

CFBfan
September 29th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Tom Massella is safe for at least two more years. He readily admits that we have holes in our junior and senior classes as the Patriot League started squeezing us with this academic banding nonsense that they were not to concerned with until the Rams started winning championships. Tom is a perfect fit at Fordham, a New Yorker former firefighter who is a good coach once we get the material, which we will as reflected in our freshman class. Watch out! By the way, pure in football not so pure in wrestling, ice hockey and basketball. Quel nonsense! Scholarship football is the way to go. We can now get the Bergen Catholic kid (our natural constituency) whose parents are moderately affluent.:)

The caliber of recruits at a Fordham weekend compared to those at GTown as well as HC, LC and LU weighed heavily in turning down Fordham $$$ to pay at the other. IMO a "Bergen Catholic kid" is much more a GTown, HC etc natural and not so much Fordham, at least based on what we were exposed to....But, I suppose that will be for Bergen Catholic players and their parents to decide.

Fordhamanhattan
September 29th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Some kids like the action of the big city, others don't. That's what makes the world go round and round, but they can't go wrong either way.

Pard4Life
September 29th, 2011, 07:15 PM
The banding has been there since Fordham joined. The Rams enjoyed the benefit by being well under the PL average while, conversely, Georgetown was at the high end. Fordham had high band kids that couldn't even make it into Georgetown's low band some years.

The best solution remains no index at all, but that ruffles too many feathers in Center Valley.

Ah... this reminds me of our dear old friends AbolishFordhamFootball, Minion, and Opinion Jones. Whatever happened to them? Talk about persistence...

danefan
September 29th, 2011, 07:36 PM

Fordham better go about 20 mins up Route 17 from BC if it plans on winning championships.

ngineer
September 29th, 2011, 09:38 PM
4-2 last week and 18-6 overall...

HOLY CROSS @ New Hampshire UNH sleeps on HC after their big win over Richmond. The Cross has had two weeks to prepare for the vaunted UNH offense...Yale @ LEHIGH Although it wouldn't surprise me to see Yale win in an upset. Witt is the best QB in the Ivy League.
FORDHAM @ COLGATE How much longer does Tom Masella have at Fordham?
Harvard @ LAFAYETTE Would love nothing more than to see Lafayette win this, but can't see it happening.
GEORGETOWN @ BUCKNELL Can't believe that the winner of this game will be 4-1.

Interesting point. I had forgotten that HC has had two weeks to prep for UNH, plus having the opportunity to breakdown Lehigh's game film against the Wildcats as I would think our approaches may be similar. Still gotta give edge to UNH at home, but could well be closer than I expect.

crusader11
September 29th, 2011, 09:59 PM
UNH is tough up front on defense with McNally and Evans, but I think HC will be able to work the vertical passing game pretty well. I watched pretty much every snap of UNH's games with Lehigh and Richmond and there are plenty of holes in the secondary. This will be a BIG test for the HC defense though, not sure how they'll do against Decker and the UNH offense...UMASS, Harvard, and Colgate have nowhere near the offense that UNH does.

Bogus Megapardus
September 29th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Fordham better go about 20 mins up Route 17 from BC if it plans on winning championships.

Don Bosco? Remember, Fordham has actual admission standards. Bosco does not. Bosco has the kids who couldn't dream of touching Delbarton.

Go...gate
September 29th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Lehigh 33, Yale 24

Lafayette 23, Harvard 20

Colgate 24, Fordham 16

Georgetown 19, Bucknell 17

Holy Cross 40, UNH 35

Bogus Megapardus
September 29th, 2011, 10:22 PM
UNH is tough up front on defense with McNally and Evans, but I think HC will be able to work the vertical passing game pretty well. I watched pretty much every snap of UNH's games with Lehigh and Richmond and there are plenty of holes in the secondary. This will be a BIG test for the HC defense though, not sure how they'll do against Decker and the UNH offense...UMASS, Harvard, and Colgate have nowhere near the offense that UNH does.

New Hampshire is always so well coached, too (Chip Kelly or not). It's a stud team year in and year out but they always play a really efficient, well-disciplined game.

I think this one is all on Gillmore. His plan and his adjustments are going to have to shine. The Crusaders seem to have the talent this year but the edge has to go to UNH at home because of Sean McDonnell's consistent ability to win in big games and against odds.

My heart says Holy Cross but my head says New Hampshire in a close one. Believe me, I could be wrong. Either way, this is the game of the week in the northeast. Lehigh/Yale would be the other, but that's going to be a blowout.

CFBfan
September 30th, 2011, 06:59 AM

glad romain is working out for you BUT if you look up MOST of the other's from "north on 17" over the last 4 years (look at Bos Col, Pitt, where most of them went) just about everyone of them did NOT make it and for various reasons including both on and off the field issues. And if you ever speak with masella he will tell you he doesn't want kids from there.

danefan
September 30th, 2011, 08:06 AM
glad romain is working out for you BUT if you look up MOST of the other's from "north on 17" over the last 4 years (look at Bos Col, Pitt, where most of them went) just about everyone of them did NOT make it and for various reasons including both on and off the field issues. And if you ever speak with masella he will tell you he doesn't want kids from there.

Sorry, but only coaches who can't get kids from Don Bosco say they don't want them.

Not really a knock on Masella - he's fighting an uphill battle to recruit kids out of Bosco. They see 8 of their closest friends and teammates going to BCS schools. Some of them hold out too much hope for the same.

Pard4Life
September 30th, 2011, 08:58 AM
UNH 37, Holy Cross 34... will be a great game!

Lehigh 31, Yale 28... sigh, Hawks will win.

Harvard 35, Lafayette 28... I do not see any defense being played in this game. Shoop will air it out, but can we finally score from within the red zone? Pards pay the punishment for now being a defacto secular school as Colton Chapple rises up in a revelation for the Harvard offense.

Colgate 21, Fordham 17... Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's... Nate Eachus!

Georgetown 28, Bucknell 14... PL Championship game. Say what?! Hoyas control their fate and stomp on the young and upcoming Bison.

Overall: 17-7.

Fordham
September 30th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Sorry, but only coaches who can't get kids from Don Bosco say they don't want them.

Not really a knock on Masella - he's fighting an uphill battle to recruit kids out of Bosco. They see 8 of their closest friends and teammates going to BCS schools. Some of them hold out too much hope for the same. we have 2 kids from Bosco, 1 from Ramapo and none from BC.

CFBfan
September 30th, 2011, 09:11 AM
we have 2 kids from Bosco, 1 from Ramapo and none from BC.
check your roster i beleive you'll find loyd marshall from bc

Pard4Life
September 30th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Lafayette needs kids from both BCs... Bergen Catholic and Bethlehem Catholic.

I believe Andy Romans of all-FCS caliber fame was from Bosco. Great program we need to tap more often.

Franks Tanks
September 30th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Lafayette needs kids from both BCs... Bergen Catholic and Bethlehem Catholic.

I believe Andy Romans of all-FCS caliber fame was from Bosco. Great program we need to tap more often.

Unfortunanty Bethlehem Catholic stinks these days. All the talent is at the public schools at the moment, such as our freshman lineman from Freedom High School.

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Unfortunanty Bethlehem Catholic stinks these days. All the talent is at the public schools at the moment, such as our freshman lineman from Freedom High School.

The freshman OL, whose name begins with a "C" but which I can neither spell nor pronounce, comes from Delbarton. Tavani seems pretty high on him.

RichH2
September 30th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Pardom me for just a second, Back to this week, LU-Y game may turn out to be more of a slugfest than a trackmeet , if heavy rain.

Sader87
September 30th, 2011, 10:33 AM
We used to play the real BC y'now....

DFW HOYA
September 30th, 2011, 10:37 AM

2011 marks the 25th anniversary of the final game in the series.

carney2
September 30th, 2011, 10:51 AM

Those who live only in the past are called geezers.

Pard4Life
September 30th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Those who live only in the past are called geezers.

Or Frankosaurus.

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Or Frankosaurus.

Wouldn't that be Frankosaurii, in this instance?

bulldog10jw
September 30th, 2011, 11:10 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/22/sports/sports-of-the-times-the-upset-the-party-the-fire.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

It's arguably the biggest upset in college football history. Fifty years ago, Holy Cross stunned Boston College, 55-12.

But when two dozen members of that 1942 Holy Cross team gathered on the Worcester, Mass., campus this weekend, the revelry of their reunion remained haunted by the Cocoanut Grove nightclub fire, which killed nearly 500 people in Boston that Saturday night half a century ago.

That night, the Holy Cross team and its fans had a party at the Parker House in downtown Boston.

"We heard the fire engines," Grigas remembered, "but we didn't think anything of it."

Only a few blocks away, nearly 1,000 people had jammed into the Cocoanut Grove, licensed to hold no more than 460, when fire flashed. It started, reportedly, in the darkened Melody Lounge when a bar boy lighted a match in order to see a bulb socket. Within 12 minutes, flames and smoke would result in the death of 492 people, one of the worst disasters in American history.

"But losing that game probably saved our lives," Mike Holovak said, referring to his Boston College teammates. "When we lost, our party at the Cocoanut Grove was called off."

Pard4Life
September 30th, 2011, 11:15 AM

There we go... he was on the sidelines as the associate head coach to Parke Davis in that game y'know... he thought the helmet had no place in pure smash mouth football!

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2011, 11:54 AM
There we go... he was on the sidelines as the associate head coach to Parke Davis in that game y'know... he thought the helmet had no place in pure smash mouth football!

No helmet, no pads, no passing the freakin' ball, either. It was there, and it remembers.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3749/frankosaurushelmet.png

carney2
September 30th, 2011, 12:02 PM

Really, Bogie, your short term memory is failing. There is only one: The Frankosaurus.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2011, 12:29 PM
This seems as good a place as any to ask this question. What happened to the block parties that, at one time, surrounded Lafayette home games? Do they still exist? Are they considered a success, failure?

Fordham
September 30th, 2011, 12:33 PM
check your roster i beleive you'll find loyd marshall from bc

Nope

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2011, 12:34 PM
This seems as good a place as any to ask this question. What happened to the block parties that, at one time, surrounded Lafayette home games? Do they still exist? Are they considered a success, failure?

There will be one Saturday for Harvard. They are fairly well-attended - especially by students.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2011, 12:35 PM
There will be one Saturday for Harvard.

So they still exist. Can you elaborate on what's going to be happening there this weekend?

And, do they translate into more attendance for the game?

carney2
September 30th, 2011, 12:35 PM

It still happens once a year - tomorrow, in fact at the Harvard game. The correct terminology for the affair is the Block pARTy.

carney2
September 30th, 2011, 12:37 PM
So they still exist. Can you elaborate on what's going to be happening there this weekend?

I have no idea what goes on. I am in Easton for the tailgating and the football, even though the latter has been in short supply of late. I would imagine that some folks who show up for football ask "What's this," and wander through, I doubt if many who show up for the Block pARTy ask the same question and wander into Fisher Stadium.

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2011, 12:38 PM

Lafayette Block pARTy:

http://slp.lafayette.edu/files/2010/01/Block-Party-e1276207751939.jpg

http://slp.lafayette.edu/majorannualprograms/blockparty/

Pard4Life
September 30th, 2011, 12:47 PM
It's the compromise between the art intelligensia in Williams and the football crowd...

Pard4Life
September 30th, 2011, 12:48 PM
It's actually a good idea... it creates some sort of movement and buzz before football games...

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I agree that it's a good idea. I actually wandered through the block pARTy one time and said "What's this?" before going to see Lafayette play, so carney's thoughts on the matter seem pretty accurate. I always, too, thought it was a cool idea, and a good usage to make a party "climate" on your campus before a game.

Still, as you point out, it's not directly related to the football program or tailgating, which is weird. You'd think it would be a logical springboard, with some backing from Leopard boosters, student groups, whatever, for a good on-campus football experience. But it isn't. Why not? Marketing?

carney2
September 30th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Still, as you point out, it's not directly related to the football program or tailgating, which is weird. You'd think it would be a logical springboard, with some backing from Leopard boosters, student groups, whatever, for a good on-campus football experience. But it isn't. Why not? Marketing?

Apathy.

Ken_Z
September 30th, 2011, 02:54 PM
HOLY CROSS 24 @ New Hampshire 31: 178 Crusader fans make the trip to UNH, their end of game defeat chant "we're not in the entertainment business ya know"

Yale 14 @ LEHIGH 35: Lehigh fans expectations begin to boil over. Could be a national championship year for the Engineers (and the Temple Owls too)

FORDHAM 23 @ COLGATE 24: Fordham 'wins' the battle of who can find a way to lose as they go for two and fail. ensuing on-sides kick fumbled by Colgate, but Ram players refuse to pick the ball up believing they were off sides. referees declare the game over as both teams run off the field with 3 minutes remaining.

Harvard 33 @ LAFAYETTE 16: would have been closer, but several key Lafayette players decide to follow their childhood dreams and runaway from the stadium to the quad at halftime to join the circus. post game President Weiss declares "today Lafayette suffered an inconsequential loss on the field of barbaric conflict, but scored a great victory for the performing arts."

GEORGETOWN 28 @ BUCKNELL 31: Bison are the good guys so I pick them to win.
i will now demonstrate my skills as a polyglot and provide translations for some of our visitors:
- MplsBisonian: Georgetown makes fewer financial accomodations for football talent and rely more purely on need; semi-capitalist Bison should defeat totally socialist Hoyas
- NEClish: Georgetown has only defeated Pioneers and Patsies wheras Bucknell defeated Duquesne of the mighty NEC; Bison have the only good win to date, they should win
- DaytonFlyerese: Hoyas should join the PFL; Bison should win to prove me right and the rest of the world wrong

Franks Tanks
September 30th, 2011, 03:04 PM
The freshman OL, whose name begins with a "C" but which I can neither spell nor pronounce, comes from Delbarton. Tavani seems pretty high on him.

Same here.. also my comment was confusing. I meant the talent in Bethlehem is at the public schools at the moment. Liberty and Freedom have placed several kids in FBS and FCS programs over the last 3 or 4 years. Bethlehem Catholic has struggled.

Anyway "C" appears to be a good one.

RichH2
September 30th, 2011, 04:08 PM
HOLY CROSS 24 @ New Hampshire 31: 178 Crusader fans make the trip to UNH, their end of game defeat chant "we're not in the entertainment business ya know"

Yale 14 @ LEHIGH 35: Lehigh fans expectations begin to boil over. Could be a national championship year for the Engineers (and the Temple Owls too)

FORDHAM 23 @ COLGATE 24: Fordham 'wins' the battle of who can find a way to lose as they go for two and fail. ensuing on-sides kick fumbled by Colgate, but Ram players refuse to pick the ball up believing they were off sides. referees declare the game over as both teams run off the field with 3 minutes remaining.

Harvard 33 @ LAFAYETTE 16: would have been closer, but several key Lafayette players decide to follow their childhood dreams and runaway from the stadium to the quad at halftime to join the circus. post game President Weiss declares "today Lafayette suffered an inconsequential loss on the field of barbaric conflict, but scored a great victory for the performing arts."

GEORGETOWN 28 @ BUCKNELL 31: Bison are the good guys so I pick them to win.
i will now demonstrate my skills as a polyglot and provide translations for some of our visitors:
- MplsBisonian: Georgetown makes fewer financial accomodations for football talent and rely more purely on need; semi-capitalist Bison should defeat totally socialist Hoyas
- NEClish: Georgetown has only defeated Pioneers and Patsies wheras Bucknell defeated Duquesne of the mighty NEC; Bison have the only good win to date, they should win
- DaytonFlyerese: Hoyas should join the PFL; Bison should win to prove me right and the rest of the world wrong

OK you are now the OFFICIAL translator for NEC, PFL and MplsBison. Are you going to put out an instructional CD?

Leopard Loyalist
September 30th, 2011, 04:11 PM
A week for homers, except for the Pards. I've been wrong on every Lafayette game this year. Hope the streak continues.

HOLY CROSS @ New Hampshire
Yale @ LEHIGH
FORDHAM @ COLGATE
Harvard @ LAFAYETTE
GEORGETOWN @ BUCKNELL

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2011, 04:31 PM
So: Lafayette can sell out when a communist comes to speak, but can't sell out Fisher unless Lehigh comes to town. Discuss.

EDIT: On a Wednesday evening no less!

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2011, 04:47 PM
So: Lafayette can sell out when a communist comes to speak, but can't sell out Fisher unless Lehigh comes to town. Discuss.

I'll ask Mr. Gorbachev when I see him (yes, I'm going).

But first I'm so tempted to shout out, "tear down this wall!"

Those Stabler crowds look mighty thin at times, you you had the Dalai Lama, IIRC.

Remise
October 1st, 2011, 07:09 AM

One of the best predictions I have ever read!

CrusaderBob
October 1st, 2011, 07:50 AM
Have you ever noticed how these PL Pick 'em threads wander way off topic. I think I like it as it makes this thread entertaining. And aren't these picks - especially the spreads - for entertainment purposes only???.

To recap this weeks 145 posts:

The Line Up of Week 5 Games
Lafayette Game Time Change
Eachus to Red Shirt
NEC vs. PL
Carney's Rules to Live By
Lafayette Unsuspensions
Tom Masella's Future
Bergen Catholic, Don Bosco, Bethelhem Catholic, we use to play the Real BC
Lafayette Block pARTy

All with 18 actual picks sprinkled among the topics.
__________________________________________________ __________________

4 - 2 Last Week
17 - 7 overall

Yale @ LEHIGH

FORDHAM @ COLGATE

Harvard @ LAFAYETTE

GEORGETOWN @ BUCKNELL

carney2
October 1st, 2011, 08:14 AM
Have you ever noticed how these PL Pick 'em threads wander way off topic. I think I like it as it makes this thread entertaining. And aren't these picks - especially the spreads - for entertainment purposes only???.

Sachus to Red Shirt
NEC vs. PL
Lafayette Unsuspensions
Tom Masella's Future
Lafayette Block pARTy

I don't read 'em all, but this has got to be the absolute best recurring thread on the AGS board - informative and entertaining. I think we've been over 100 posts every week this season. Even KenZ's end of the week misery doesn't seem to drag it down as it did in the old days.

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2011, 08:16 AM
Off topic? Ya think? Who, me? Never!

To paraphrase our beloved Sader87, we are the straw that stirs AGS.

danefan
October 1st, 2011, 08:18 AM
I don't read 'em all, but this has got to be the absolute best recurring thread on the AGS board - informative and entertaining. I think we've been over 100 posts every week this season. Even KenZ's end of the week misery doesn't seem to drag it down as it did in the old days.

+1

Pard4Life
October 1st, 2011, 08:25 AM
You forgot our propensity for hi-jacking threads... hey, on the Yale-Lehigh game thread we end up discussing a Lafayette -Penn game from 1896 and Frankosaurus!

ColgateTD
October 1st, 2011, 08:40 AM

Sachus to Red Shirt
NEC vs. PL
Lafayette Unsuspensions
Tom Masella's Future
Lafayette Block pARTy

__________________________________________________ __________________

4 - 2 Last Week
17 - 7 overall

Yale @ LEHIGH

FORDHAM @ COLGATE

Harvard @ LAFAYETTE

GEORGETOWN @ BUCKNELL

Puleees...it's Eachus that will red shirt, not Sachus :)

RichH2
October 1st, 2011, 08:48 AM
Bob, Bob , given Pards' facility at highjacking threads, this thread fairly normal for PL . Look at these threads like the old general store. Everyone stops by to pick and then stays around to chat and warm up by the potbelly stove

CrusaderBob
October 1st, 2011, 10:09 AM
Puleees...it's Eachus that will red shirt, not Sachus :)

'twas a typo. I know it's Eachus. Fixed it in my original post.

Bob, Bob , given Pards' facility at highjacking threads, this thread fairly normal for PL . Look at these threads like the old general store. Everyone stops by to pick and then stays around to chat and warm up by the potbelly stove

Been around here long enough to know it's normal. Been happening for years now. It's like the weekly Pick 'em thread becomes the defacto PL board.

I have noted that it seems like Lafayette "issues" of the week tend to dominate the off-topic discussion.

And I did say I like it. xnodx

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2011, 03:13 PM
IT LIVES

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8287/02tyrannosaurusfrank2sm.gif

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 1st, 2011, 03:19 PM
16-8 Overall

Colgate 27 Fordham 20 - Colgate is getting the Rams offense at just the right time. Plus, the return of Eachus doesn't hurt either.
Georgetown 24 Bucknell 21 - I flipped a coin, true story....
Harvard 38 Lafayette 24 - Lafayette hangs around for most of the game before the Crimson break their back.
New Hampshire 34 Holy Cross 24 - Crusaders hang tough before running out of gas late.
Lehigh 31 Yale 17 - The Hawks defense and rushing attack are better than some realize. Witt will have to deal with the most pressure he's faced all year.

Me 4-0, Coin 0-1....

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2011, 03:22 PM
Bucknell 35 Georgetown 18.

Geez, now we have to worry about the B-Chips as well. This is depressing.

RichH2
October 1st, 2011, 03:28 PM
Tough year so far Bogie, maybe it bodes well for next yr ( thats what I kept telling myself during Andy's 1st 3 years) Gate also crushed Fordham. LU-HC game s/b a dooozy!

danefan
October 1st, 2011, 04:45 PM
Of relevance to a sub-discussion of this thread-

Don Bosco is hosting St. Edward (Ohio) next week at Fordham.

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2011, 04:50 PM
Of relevance to a sub-discussion of this thread-

Don Bosco is hosting St. Edward (Ohio) next week at Fordham.

I saw that too. My understanding from the Star-Ledger is that the game already is sold out.

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2011, 04:53 PM
Tough year so far Bogie, maybe it bodes well for next yr ( thats what I kept telling myself during Andy's 1st 3 years) Gate also crushed Fordham. LU-HC game s/b a dooozy!

November 5 at 12:30PM at the Saucon Cow Pastures. This one will be the PL game of the year, prevailing odors permitting.

danefan
October 1st, 2011, 05:23 PM
I saw that too. My understanding from the Star-Ledger is that the game already is sold out.

Not surprised that it's sold out. I'm not sure why they moved it to a stadium that's smaller than their home field though.

Sader87
October 1st, 2011, 06:25 PM
Is Fordham still kinda, sorta, unofficially, technically in the PL in football?? Very strange situation.

RichH2
October 1st, 2011, 06:29 PM
Is Fordham still kinda, sorta, unofficially, technically in the PL in football?? Very strange situation.

Yup and not going to clear up anytime soon. Looking forward to our game at Goodman. They better have a medevac for old fogies like me.

ColgateTD
October 1st, 2011, 06:49 PM
Dick Biddle seems to have pulled off the big "turnaround." Not that anyone cares....

Now LU has to knock off HC and the Raiders need to knock off LU...:)

CFBfan
October 1st, 2011, 07:28 PM
Not surprised that it's sold out. I'm not sure why they moved it to a stadium that's smaller than their home field though.

for the record it's a triple header with bergen catholic up 1st st. peters 2nd & bosco 3rd. "the bosco game" is not sold out as a ticket entitles you to ALL 3 Games.
it was initialy against 3 Ohio schools but the team bergen was scheuled to play backed out and was replaced with friendship academy from DC, peters and bosco will play ohio schools. (dane looks like a bosco homer??)

danefan
October 1st, 2011, 07:42 PM
for the record it's a triple header with bergen catholic up 1st st. peters 2nd & bosco 3rd. "the bosco game" is not sold out as a ticket entitles you to ALL 3 Games.
it was initialy against 3 Ohio schools but the team bergen was scheuled to play backed out and was replaced with friendship academy from DC, peters and bosco will play ohio schools. (dane looks like a bosco homer??)

I live about 3 minutes from Bergen, but a lot of kids from my hometown area (orange county, ny) play at Bosco so I tend to root for them.

I am, however, a big fan of Nunzio Campanalle. I think he will get Bergen Catholic back to even strength with Bosco soon.

CFBfan
October 1st, 2011, 08:23 PM
I live about 3 minutes from Bergen, but a lot of kids from my hometown area (orange county, ny) play at Bosco so I tend to root for them.

I am, however, a big fan of Nunzio Campanalle. I think he will get Bergen Catholic back to even strength with Bosco soon.

let me know if you go to a bergen game, i would enjoy meeting you

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 1st, 2011, 10:44 PM
PL finishes 0-6 against the CAA which should keep the pro-scholarship crowd happy. Before the season starterd i thought Colgate would beat Towson to prevent an O'fer. Granted, I still believe Lehigh and/or HC could beat a CAA team in the playoffs.

Brown took down URI today so the Ivy League was able to notch a CAA win.

Pard4Life
October 1st, 2011, 10:57 PM
Anyone watch that Bosco-BC game on CSN last night? Wow great players... Bosco's stud LB was named a recruit for Army, Navy, UNH...