PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Southern Conference Power Rankings and Predictions - Week 5.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 25th, 2011, 06:36 AM
I was 4-1 last week and 22-2 overall. Elon-The Citadel and UTC-ASU are what I thought they were. Samford's effort was good against Wofford. This is where I rank them after this week's games.

1) Georgia Southern - The only undefeated team left.
2) Appalachian State - Starts out the conference schedule on the right foot.
3) Chattanooga - Effort was very good against ASU (Props go to them).
4) Wofford - Good win vs. Samford
5) Furman - Impressive win vs. Presbyterian, may play true to my initial assessment.
6) Elon - Quite possibly the luckiest team in the SoCon.
7) The Citadel - Effort was good vs. Elon
8) Western Carolina - gets roughed up against Georgia Southern
9) Samford - effort was good vs. Wofford

Predictions
Georgia Southern @ Elon - Luck of the Phoenix runs out this week
Gardner-Webb @ Samford - Playing two straight FBS teams has taken a toll on GWU
Appalachian State @ Wofford - Terriers will have their hands full at home this week
Furman @ Western Carolina - This one's a not-so no-brainer
The Citadel @ Chattanooga - See Furman @ WCU

fc97
September 25th, 2011, 07:24 AM
goodness bias.

app ahead of wofford. samford in last while the had a better effort against georgia southern than western carolina. terrible. you've never had a good thing posted about elon. citadel good effort with half the yardage but elon is just luck.

james_lawfirm
September 25th, 2011, 07:42 AM
goodness bias.

app ahead of wofford. samford in last while the had a better effort against georgia southern than western carolina. terrible. you've never had a good thing posted about elon. citadel good effort with half the yardage but elon is just luck.

Aside from the fact that they must not teach proper use of complete sentences there at Leon, just what exactly is good about Leon ... er, ... Elon?

Reign of Terrier
September 25th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Samford is a good team this year, definitely has a better defense, at least in pass coverage, than Western. Their offense will put some points on the board.

Right now I'd say
1) GSU- looking like the GSU of old more and more nowadays
2) App State- Defense wins championships
3)Wofford- dominated Samford more than the scoreboard indicates, offense is looking impressive and defense is better than the stats show
4) chattanooga-lost a heartbreaker to App, how good is their run game
5) Furman looked impressive against a PC team that didn't want to be there in a way IMO
6) Elon- makes a lot of mistakes, they'll be in trouble against a team with an actual offense and good athletes to run that offense as they haven't seen that the last 2 weeks and they barely came out with the win
7)Samford-Offense will give other teams fits, hard to say how good they are as they've only played 2 top-notch FCS defenses the last couple of weeks
8) The Citadel- Defense seems to play well but they are most certainly the third best option offense in the conference
9) Western- can score points, but they can't defend the option, and they still have to play Wofford and the Citadel

Picks:

GSU @ Elon GSU's front 7 pins their ears back and dominates
GWU @ Samford GWU off of 2 FBS opponents and Samford will finally have some success playing (no offense Big South guys) inferior competition and will come out hungry for a win
App State @ Wofford- No pick, crazy stuff has happened in this one, and that game really deserves its own thread
Furman @ Western I'm thinking it will be in the neighborhood of 41-23
The Citadel @ Chattanooga- this one should be a good one, I think Chatty will win but it wouldn't surprise me if El Cid's D kept them in this one

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Samford is a good team this year, definitely has a better defense, at least in pass coverage, than Western. Their offense will put some points on the board.

Right now I'd say
3)Wofford- dominated Samford more than the scoreboard indicates, offense is looking impressive and defense is better than the stats show
5) Furman looked impressive against a PC team that didn't want to be there in a way IMO6) Elon- makes a lot of mistakes, they'll be in trouble against a team with an actual defense and good athletes to run their offense as they haven't seen that the last 2 weeks and they barely came out with the win
7)Samford-Offense will give other teams fits, hard to say how good they are as they've only played 2 top-notch FCS defenses the last couple of weeks
8) The Citadel- Defense seems to play well but they are most certainly the third best option offense in the conference
9) Western- can score points, but they can't defend the option, and they still have to play Wofford and the Citadel

Picks:

GWU @ Samford GWU off of 2 FBS opponents and Samford will finally have some success playing (no offense Big South guys) inferior competition and will come out hungry for a win
App State @ Wofford- No pick, crazy stuff has happened in this one, and that game really deserves its own thread
The Citadel @ Chattanooga- this one should be a good one, I think Chatty will win but it wouldn't surprise me if El Cid's D kept them in this one

Right. Furman thumps a Presbyterian team that took Wofford to the final whistle and it's because PC "didn't want to be there."

I'm not stating Furman is a world beater for thumping a team they should thump. Especially a team that just had a cross country trip a week before. Heck, some people were on here were picking a Presbyterian win. At the end of the day, Furman dominated from the kick to the final play. Presbyterian only kept the score close because they force you to start at 0-0.

I don't mind where you have Furman ranked, but let's not start with the idea that Presbyterian just mailed it in. Furman had a heckuva football game.

Reign of Terrier
September 25th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Right. Furman thumps a Presbyterian team that took Wofford to the final whistle and it's because PC "didn't want to be there."

I'm not stating Furman is a world beater for thumping a team they should thump. Especially a team that just had a cross country trip a week before. Heck, some people were on here were picking a Presbyterian win. At the end of the day, Furman dominated from the kick to the final play. Presbyterian only kept the score close because they force you to start at 0-0.

I don't mind where you have Furman ranked, but let's not start with the idea that Presbyterian just mailed it in. Furman had a heckuva football game.

I know a PC guy who was at the game, I basically just quoted him. I watched some of the game too, intensity wasn't the same on the PC side.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 25th, 2011, 08:25 AM
1. Georgia Southern - The best team in the FCS unless someone shows otherwise.

2. Wofford - WC and GSU have the two best offenses in the FCS IMO, and Wofford's may actually be the better of the two.

3. App. State - Knew App. state would find a way to win at the rock, but still not all that impressed with them. I think Wofford is past due and will win this week

4. Chatty - tough loss. It won't get any easier in Statesboro, that's for sure.

5. Furman -Looked good against PC, I will admit, but were those 4 turnovers forced or were they the result of PC not showing up?

6. Samford - Don't underestimate Sammy on defense because of what GSU and Samford did against them (see #2)

7. Elon - how do you rack up 445 yards of offense and only score 15 points in regulation with only 2 turnovers? Is it poor red zone offense?

8. Western - Western's new OC's has them going in the right direction. Can't fault them too much for what they did against GSU when 1) we pretty much knew what Western was going to do on defense against our offense and 2) We have arguably the best rushing defense in the FCS.

9. The Citadel - not going to win any SoCon games unless they can learn how to move the ball PDQ.

Reign of Terrier
September 25th, 2011, 08:33 AM
2. Wofford - WC and GSU have the two best offenses in the FCS IMO, and Wofford's may actually be the better of the two.

at first I thought you said defenses xlolx I was going to post a thread about Wofford being the clear best option offense in the conference, but then I looked at the GSU game and they rushed for over 600 yards.......

OL FU
September 25th, 2011, 09:11 AM

Hey I told you last week YT doesn't like Furmanxlolx

PaladinNation
September 25th, 2011, 09:14 AM

3. App. State - Knew App. state would find a way to win at the rock, but still not all that impressed with them. I think Wofford is past due and will win this week

5. Furman -Looked good against PC, I will admit, but were those 4 turnovers forced or were they the result of PC not showing up?

6. Samford - Don't underestimate Sammy on defense because of what GSU and Samford did against them (see #2)

7. Elon - how do you rack up 445 yards of offense and only score 15 points in regulation with only 2 turnovers? Is it poor red zone offense?

8. Western - Western's new OC's has them going in the right direction. Can't fault them too much for what they did against GSU when 1) we pretty much knew what Western was going to do on defense against our offense and 2) We have arguably the best rushing defense in the FCS.

9. The Citadel - not going to win any SoCon games unless they can learn how to move the ball PDQ.

Great Point… I think part of PC's problem was Furman came out with an intensity that PC couldn't match, and that started with the first hit their QB took. Saying that, the two fumbles were caused by Furman's physical play. The intercepts? Well, this ain't a Bobby Lamb coached defense, it's amazing to see the difference between a coaching staff that has a single defensive scheme, and a coaching staff that scheme's to take away what the opponent wants to do. Furman is blessed with some young Redshirt Freshmen and Sophomores that have progress quicker than expected.

FYI… Furman gets Nathan Wade back this week for the first time this season… my guess if not for the suspension, Wade's an all So-Con talent. With Wade at FS, Impressive sophmore Greg Worthy could move to SS, which will allow the coaches to scheme with Vinsang and Furman's freshman of the year so far Marcus McMorris. I think this defense will get better and better. It will need to, the running attacks of the SoCon are the best of the best.

OL FU
September 25th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I know a PC guy who was at the game, I basically just quoted him. I watched some of the game too, intensity wasn't the same on the PC side.

YT, if PC didn't want to be there, if that is really a true statement, then not only should they fire their coach, which they shouldn't. They should either go back to D2 or disband their football program. There are lots of ways to interpret the game saturday but the one you used was either the biggest insult to PC I have ever heard or just nonsense.xeyebrowx

they played Wofford a hell of a game (which I personally think was WC looking ahead to Clemson after taking a lead) beat a D2 and lost to an FBS. They had every reason to come into Paladin stadium and if not win at least make a good showing. The lacked intensity for one reason, they were out of the game by the middle of the second quarter.

OL FU
September 25th, 2011, 09:22 AM

I agree with your placement except I am not sure if the last two don't need to be switched.

Predictions
Georgia Southern @ Elon -
Gardner-Webb @ Samford -
Appalachian State @ Wofford - I picked them to win the conference no point in changing my mind now.
Furman @ Western Carolina - I saw what I wanted to see last week. Successful running game and finally downfield passing. I think we are improving quickly and would hate to take a step backwards
The Citadel @ Chattanooga -

SoConisMyAntiDrug
September 25th, 2011, 11:23 AM
1. Appalachian State- Beating Chattanooga, a team that was on fire, says a lot.
1. Georgia Southern- Exactly where they should be right now.
3. Wofford- Showtime at HOME (thanks FCS) this weekend.......
4. Chattanooga- Tough loss, but still have a chance to win every game remaining on the schedule.
5. Furman- Huge win over PC, back to SoCon play this week.
6. Samford- Tough loss this weekend....how will they rebound this week?
7. Elon- Two "DOMINANT" victories the past two weeks, we will learn alot about Elon this week vs. Georgia Southern
8. Western- Ouch! Defense........
9. The Citadel- Defense was very impressive this past week, offense needs some variation out of the triple option.

This week predictions:
Georgia Southern @ Elon - Elon has to be perfect this week and having a large crowd could create a great atmosphere
Gardner-Webb @ Samford - Takes frustration out from Woffy on GW
Appalachian State @ Wofford - I have no clue......these two teams, just drive each other crazy
Furman @ Western Carolina -
The Citadel @ Chattanooga -

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 25th, 2011, 11:25 AM
3. Wofford- Showtime at the Rock this weekend.......remember last time they played at the rock?

"The Rock" is going to be empty this weekend. xpeacex

youwouldno
September 25th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I think the Paladins have upside but there is vulnerability in the trenches, on both sides of the ball, that will present a major challenge against top teams. Forcier really is a huge wild card- he can cause big problems for any FCS defense when he's on.

GunsAndGuitars
September 25th, 2011, 11:36 AM
"The Rock" is going to be empty this weekend. xpeacex

There might be a couple of folks who go to run around the track if the weather is nice in Boone, unless they lock the place down anymore.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2011, 12:08 PM
YT, if PC didn't want to be there, if that is really a true statement, then not only should they fire their coach, which they shouldn't. They should either go back to D2 or disband their football program. There are lots of ways to interpret the game saturday but the one you used was either the biggest insult to PC I have ever heard or just nonsense.xeyebrowx

they played Wofford a hell of a game (which I personally think was WC looking ahead to Clemson after taking a lead) beat a D2 and lost to an FBS. They had every reason to come into Paladin stadium and if not win at least make a good showing. The lacked intensity for one reason, they were out of the game by the middle of the second quarter.

Those are more or less my thoughts. If Presbyterian didn't want to be there, then they need to spend their money on something else.

Reign of Terrier
September 25th, 2011, 12:25 PM

3 victories in 3 years....yep, I'd fire him....but seriously, I'm not trying to take anything away from Furman's victory. They scare me this year....just that that was a different PC team than what I saw play in the first week of the season

OL FU
September 25th, 2011, 12:32 PM
3 victories in 3 years....yep, I'd fire him....but seriously, I'm not trying to take anything away from Furman's victory. They scare me this year....just that that was a different PC team than what I saw play in the first week of the season

I will withhold an opinion on whether we should scare you until we play someone that is comparable.

PCs coach, he walked in with nothing. Bentley left the program in shambles. PC's funding took a major hit during the start of the recession and quite honestly I think anybody that thinks about it has to wonder if they really were ready for a D1 committment.

As to the difference in the games. honestly I think during the first quarter everything went right for us and wrong for them except for the blocked punt. They just couldn't recover. Presonally, I am hoping that this wasn't a fluke. My opinion before the game is that Furman had better use this game to open up the offense because PC would be a good team to get a little confidence against. Hopefully we see more of the same against Western. But we won't know until next week.

Good luck against the Hillbillies.

fc97
September 25th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Aside from the fact that they must not teach proper use of complete sentences there at Leon, just what exactly is good about Leon ... er, ... Elon?

it's a football board not a grammar board. get yourself together.

GunsAndGuitars
September 25th, 2011, 01:31 PM

That is, until someone wants to make the case that Elon is better than every other school in the SoCon in every single way. Look at was the GSU vs. GSU debate became. Look at what UNCC vs. everybody else became. You can say it's a football forum, but eventually somebody will bring up academics.

fc97
September 25th, 2011, 01:42 PM
That is, until someone wants to make the case that Elon is better than every other school in the SoCon in every single way. Look at was the GSU vs. GSU debate became. Look at what UNCC vs. everybody else became. You can say it's a football forum, but eventually somebody will bring up academics.

academics has nothing to do with spelling or grammar on a football forum.

whoanellie
September 25th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Okay Mr. Wizzard and all those that want to slam Elon and cannot wait for a real team like Georgia southern to show up and give them the ol' 1-2.
Here is where the fuzzy math comes in. Turnovers/ Giveaways can get you beat. When is 540< 5 ? when the 5 is turnovers. So far this season Elon has 12 turnovers and 3 take aways.
Granted 3-1 is where We are currently. We could be 1-3 were it not for some clutch playing by a squad that wants to win.
Statistics are just measuring points along the way. Of course Points off scores is the bottom line but time of possesion & first downs are more telling than simple
passing or rushing stats. Spread offenses vs triple Option hybrids: When executing: the former runs a lot of plays. The later consumes the clock. Both can put up points
in a hurry but that can cause the Defense to wear down.
We don't expect to get any love from this forum. Just do not trash us. We are just competing.

FurmanWins!!
September 25th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Great game Saturday by FU!!!

GO Paladins, Beat Western, that is all for now! ;)

GunsAndGuitars
September 25th, 2011, 03:47 PM

I don't disagree with you at all. It was more a backhanded agreement with you actually. I generally try to use grammar just because of habit, but I can promise you it has been and will be used in the future as an argument against any given school represented on this forum. I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

We don't expect to get any love from this forum. Just do not trash us. We are just competing.

...I'm not sure you read the conversation previous to that or remember the times Elon faithful have made the claim (as have every other fanbase...WCU is notorious for it when they lose every other point in an argument). Otherwise I don't think you would've taken that statement in the context you did. As for thinking Elon will beat #1 GSU. I hate GSU as much as the next guy, but unfortunately, at least for now, it looks like they're back :(.

App State gets hit with being the "dumb hillbillies" all the time, which comes with the territory (read my name for heaven's sake...I welcome it). That was the point I was making. Yes grammar on a football forum means very little to nothing. It also shows very little about the institution. This is the internet, but getting ALL upset over it makes little to no sense. Go read something by Chattownmocs and laugh a little bit or something xcrazyx.

OL FU
September 25th, 2011, 03:51 PM

Damn lawyersxlolx

The Cats
September 25th, 2011, 06:29 PM
All home teams win, except Elon.

Georgia Southern @ Elon
Gardner-Webb @ Samford
Appalachian State @ Wofford
Furman @ Western Carolina

The Citadel @ Chattanooga

ElonPride
September 25th, 2011, 07:17 PM

May not be a board of grammar, but Elon sure teached me some cumunnicashuns.....everytime i see comments like that law firm app dude, i look at the Emmys on my mantle and laugh.:D

james_lawfirm
September 25th, 2011, 07:32 PM

I did not have a chance to criticize your grammar because your post was incoherent.

james_lawfirm
September 25th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Damn lawyersxlolx

Ah ... everyone hates lawyers ... until you need one.

hapapp
September 25th, 2011, 07:45 PM

I would agree with your picks. I really don't think ASU is consistent enough on offense to go to Wofford and win. Our O line is too young and inexperienced and DP has had his struggles lately against good defenses. This game is crucial in determining what ASU really has on offense. Chattanooga had a great scheme and we just found no consistency on offense. I'm heartened by our defensive play but Wofford is a different animal than the Mocs.

CID1990
September 25th, 2011, 08:14 PM

Right now I'd say
5) Furman looked impressive against a PC team that didn't want to be there in a way IMO
6) Elon- makes a lot of mistakes, they'll be in trouble against a team with an actual defense and good athletes to run their offense as they haven't seen that the last 2 weeks and they barely came out with the win

Picks:

There you go again, and then you contradict yourself.

Reign of Terrier
September 25th, 2011, 08:48 PM
There you go again, and then you contradict yourself.

it was a typo. crucify me

Terrierforlife
September 25th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Good stuff here. We'll see how it plays out.

CID1990
September 25th, 2011, 10:25 PM
it was a typo. crucify me

Entire sentences aren't typos. You first implied that we did not have an actual defense, and then you said you would not be surprised if our D kept us in the game with Chatty. Make up your mind.

woffordgrad94
September 26th, 2011, 03:47 AM
1. Georgia Southern: The most well-rounded team in the SoCon
2. Wofford: Tough offense to stop along with a solid defense, but needs to work on penalties and special teams
3. Appalachian State: Still a very good team, but seems to be down a bit so far in the earlygoing
4. Chattanooga: Has made great strides, but still a notch below the top three
5. Furman: Will pull at least one upset this year...could be a major spolier for someone
6. Samford: This team is underrated by some, but they need a running game
7. Elon: Where have you gone, Scott Riddle and Terrell Hudgins?
8. Western Carolina: The offense is improved, but the defense is still struggling mightily
9. The Citadel: A punchless offense will keep them from winning in the conference

Predictions this week:

Wofford 31, Appalachian State 28...home field makes all the difference in this one
Georgia Southern 42, Elon 14
Samford 31, Gardner-Webb 20
Chattanooga 24, The Citadel 0
Furman 45, Western Carolina 27

OL FU
September 26th, 2011, 05:17 AM

Exactly, and even sometimes thenxthumbsupx

biggie
September 26th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Wofford, Appalachian State - hope to fix O and keep D strong
Georgia Southern, Elon - probably really ugly
Samford, Gardner-Webb
Chattanooga, The Citadel
Furman, Western Carolina

phoenix3
September 26th, 2011, 10:42 AM

Actually, they still hate them. They just need one...xthumbsupx Truthfully, when I needed one I wanted the meanest, nastiest bas***d I could find. Kind of funny how that works isn't it?

Wofford
GSU
Samford
Chatt
Furman

Venaros
September 26th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Big game of the week I'd say is Wofford/Appy. I think App. will come away with the win, but it'll be a close one.

StorminASU
September 26th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Entire sentences aren't typos. You first implied that we did not have an actual defense, and then you said you would not be surprised if our D kept us in the game with Chatty. Make up your mind.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Surely he could have came up with a better excuse.

I believe App will make this a statement game and will win quite convincingly. We can't let people think we're slipping like GSU did ;)

ElonPride
September 26th, 2011, 12:12 PM

xlolx

Well, apparently El Cid doesn't have any "legitimate" players, as he/she mentioned in a previous post. I think you were in on the conversation from that thread CID1990.

Reign of Terrier
September 26th, 2011, 12:20 PM

think offense, type defense= typo. read the correction and eat the words of your phantom point, Nancy boy

Reign of Terrier
September 26th, 2011, 12:22 PM
And the Citadel will not win 5 games this year. Sheesh, get off of my jockstrap

woffordgrad94
September 26th, 2011, 05:06 PM

The Citadel will not win a conference game. Their offense is brutal. And these Citadel guys hate Wofford more than any other SoCon team, probably because they used to kick our butts and make fun of us about every year before we became a D-1, and now, after a realitively short time of Wofford being a D-1, they aren't even close to us. It's still hard for them Bellhops to deal with.

Biff
September 26th, 2011, 07:27 PM
The Citadel will not win a conference game. Their offense is brutal. And these Citadel guys hate Wofford more than any other SoCon team, probably because they used to kick our butts and make fun of us about every year before we became a D-1, and now, after a realitively short time of Wofford being a D-1, they aren't even close to us. It's still hard for them Bellhops to deal with.

Starting the trash talking a week earlier.

Yes the truth hurts

CID1990
September 26th, 2011, 07:51 PM

There's no need for a jockstrap when your package hasn't even dropped yet, young Padawan.

CID1990
September 26th, 2011, 07:53 PM

That's a pretty tall order, considering we are significantly better than we were last year, and even then we beat Samford.

If we had a field goal kicker who can hit one from 30 yards, this thread would be all about how how much better The Citadel is this year and how far Elon has fallen.

ElonPride
September 26th, 2011, 08:57 PM
That's a pretty tall order, considering we are significantly better than we were last year, and even then we beat Samford.

If we had a field goal kicker who can hit one from 30 yards, this thread would be all about how how much better The Citadel is this year and how far Elon has fallen.

Actually, both Elon an El Cid need kickers. Both kickers missed 2 FGs in regulation.

The Cats
September 26th, 2011, 09:05 PM
?

ElonPride
September 26th, 2011, 09:16 PM

Settle down there young pup....learn your place in the pack.

Terrierforlife
September 26th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Starting the trash talking a week earlier.

Yes the truth hurts

We got those wins when we were D 2 also.

Reign of Terrier
September 26th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Settle down there young pup....learn your place in the pack.

At the front.....will do

ElonPride
September 26th, 2011, 09:40 PM
At the front.....will do

Your team may be near there. You and your contradictions little puppy, are not.

Reign of Terrier
September 26th, 2011, 09:48 PM

How did I contradict myself? xcoffeex the Citadel has a great defense and a horrible offense; I said as much. One word does in fact the meaning of an entire sentence

CropDuster
September 26th, 2011, 09:55 PM

That's rich. Elon couldn't find it's way to the front with a compass and a map.

ElonPride
September 26th, 2011, 09:56 PM
How did I contradict myself? xcoffeex the Citadel has a great defense and a horrible offense; I said as much. One word does in fact the meaning of an entire sentence

xrolleyesx

Reign of Terrier
September 26th, 2011, 09:58 PM
xrolleyesx

you know I'm right. Next time you make a mistake, I'll be sure to highlight it over and over again

CID1990
September 27th, 2011, 02:01 AM

You made the same "typo" in the other thread.

I'm just breaking your pills, YT.

Biff
September 27th, 2011, 06:23 AM
We got those wins when we were D 2 also.

You mean the the two wins (91,93) you got right before switching to D2. Before that you only had 7 other wins starting in 1916 (19, 28, 49, 55-58). As a D1 team, you certainly have had our number.

PaladinFan
September 27th, 2011, 07:04 AM
That's rich. Elon couldn't find it's way to the front with a compass and a map.

Or with All Americans, as it were.

ElonPride
September 27th, 2011, 07:45 AM
You made the same "typo" in the other thread.

xnodx Oh well.

OL FU
September 27th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I will withhold an opinion on whether we should scare you until we play someone that is comparable.

PCs coach, he walked in with nothing. Bentley left the program in shambles. PC's funding took a major hit during the start of the recession and quite honestly I think anybody that thinks about it has to wonder if they really were ready for a D1 committment.

As to the difference in the games. honestly I think during the first quarter everything went right for us and wrong for them except for the blocked punt. They just couldn't recover. Presonally, I am hoping that this wasn't a fluke. My opinion before the game is that Furman had better use this game to open up the offense because PC would be a good team to get a little confidence against. Hopefully we see more of the same against Western. But we won't know until next week.

Good luck against the Hillbillies.

As an addition to this one, apaladin posted on the uffp that he heard, while listening to a local sports radio show, that PC may be in some jeopardy with their D1 status. Don't know how much is true, but apparently it was being reported that PC had promised to allocate dollars to the program for the upgrade and have not done so. They also commented that they are still at 33 scholarships. I don't know how much of this is true and it is only radio talk, but it adds to my comments about this not being the coach's fault.

Personally, I was surprised when PC announced the move in the first place.

Biff
September 27th, 2011, 09:29 AM
As an addition to this one, apaladin posted on the uffp that he heard, while listening to a local sports radio show, that PC may be in some jeopardy with their D1 status. Don't know how much is true, but apparently it was being reported that PC had promised to allocate dollars to the program for the upgrade and have not done so. They also commented that they are still at 33 scholarships. I don't know how much of this is true and it is only radio talk, but it adds to my comments about this not being the coach's fault.

Not surprising if it is true. After going to High School in Newberry, I enjoyed the old PC/Newberry rivalry. I know a number of PC alumni that are not happy with the move up. They didn't have the dominant sports teams needed. I think their football team was decent in the SAC, but I don't remember Baseball or any other sport doing that well (I could be wrong). If you can make the jump like Wofford or Elon have done, it is good and the money will flow, of course I think both those schools have a pile of money flowing into the program.

OL FU
September 27th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Interestingly (and of course this is also no more than rumor) I had heard one of the reasons they wanted to move up is because they felt as if they were at a competitive disadvantage with the D2 academic requirements. They didn't want to lower theirs for athletic purposes while the Newberry's of the world were certainly willing use lower academic standards. That may be an understandable reason to make the move, but you certainly have to take into consideration the talent gap and money gap between D1 and D2.

asumike83
September 27th, 2011, 09:47 AM
1. Georgia Southern - Although they are somewhat untested, they are undefeated and a very talented football team. They will have my top spot until someone knocks them off
2. Appalachian State - I am a little shaky putting then ahead of Wofford but at this point, they have the better FCS win against Chattanooga.
3. Wofford - Playing Clemson close was impressive but that close game against Presbyterian is especially concerning after what Furman did to them.
4. Chattanooga - A tough loss this weekend but there is no shame in a 2-point defeat in Boone. Talented team, should bounce back against The Citadel.
5. Furman - To call Forcier's performance impressive is an understatement but they will have to prove they can light up the scoreboard against better competition to jump over Chatt
6. Elon - Competition has not been great and they haven't been pretty but they are still undefeated against FCS competition. Measuring stick game this weekend for the Phoenix.
7. Samford - 2 conference losses already but they were against 2 of the top SoCon teams and both were relatively competitive
8. The Citadel - Would have been a few spots higher if they could have pulled out the win against Elon but this team has a long way to go offensively
9. Western Carolina - Probably won't be the only team to get blown out in Statesboro this year but their best defensive showing was giving up 31... and that was to Mars Hill

OL FU
September 27th, 2011, 04:08 PM

To be fair, a PC poster showed up on the uffp and claimed the comments made on the radio show was pure gossip and stated that PC was at 57 scholarships. Just to make sure that both sides of the story are told. and because I seem to like to quote myself:D