PDA

View Full Version : More Rascati Magic In 2006?

JMU Duke Dog
April 20th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Here was an article from today's Harrisonburg's Daily News-Record.

http://dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=4011&CHID=3

More Rascati Magic In 2006?
The Dukes hope to lean on their star quarterback more next season.

By Mike Barber
Posted 2006-04-20

As a defender closed in on James Madison quarterback Justin Rascati during football practice Wednesday, the coaches whistled the play dead. Rascati, like most college quarterbacks, has been wearing a red jersey this spring to remind the defense not to tackle him.

But a collection of groans and gripes resonated from the sideline after the coaches blew their whistles on this particular play.

Former offensive lineman Harry Dunn, a frequent visitor to practice this spring, shouted, "Justin would’ve got out of that."

(Continued...)

GannonFan
April 20th, 2006, 09:10 AM
It remains to be seen if Matthews is really gonna open things up or not. That would be a radical departure from his excessively run-heavy offense of the past. Rascati may be a very good QB, as JMU posters say, but it's hard to judge that when the team actually runs, mostly with its RB's, more than 75% of the time. We'll have to see how the season unfolds.

JMU Duke Dog
April 20th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Yes it will be very interesting to see what Matthews ends up doing with the offense in 2006. There are four key seniors on offense next year in QB Justin Rascati, RB Alvin Banks, RB Maurice Fenner, and WR D.D. Boxley. Hopefully he can find the right combination to get JMU back to the playoffs in 2006.

89Hen
April 20th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Rascati may be a very good QB, as JMU posters say, but it's hard to judge that when the team actually runs, mostly with its RB's, more than 75% of the time. We'll have to see how the season unfolds.
I was thinking the same thing. Not to take away from Rascati, but I don't consider him the main reason they won the NC in 2004. They had two 1000 yard rushers and Banks chipped in over 500. In the NC game against Montana they had 314 yards on the ground and Rascati was 13 of 18 for 132 yards. Then look at last year, no 1000 yard rushers and they miss the playoffs.

Again, he is a very good QB, but I don't think they can put the weight of the team on him. :twocents:

blukeys
April 20th, 2006, 10:00 AM
My view of Rascati is that he is a big strong QB that is not particularly quick but is hard to bring down. He can get his team a couple of tough yards with his legs. He has a strong arm but does not have a real quick release. I think JMU will look like the JMU of the past 2 years with maybe a little bit more passing from Rascati. I don't expect the Leopard to change its spots.

Tribe4SF
April 20th, 2006, 10:09 AM
My view of Rascati is that he is a big strong QB that is not particularly quick but is hard to bring down. He can get his team a couple of tough yards with his legs. He has a strong arm but does not have a real quick release. I think JMU will look like the JMU of the past 2 years with maybe a little bit more passing from Rascati. I don't expect the Leopard to change its stripes.

I'll be surprised, as well, if Mickey goes to a new offensive strategy. JMU last year was not nearly as good defensively, and I think that's still the question for this year, along with their offensive line. Justin is an excellent QB, but he has been required to be a role player under Mickey. All-in-all, the Dukes will still be in contention.

bluehenbillk
April 20th, 2006, 12:41 PM
IMO if JMU wants to get back to their 2004 form they have to fix their run D. JMU got to the NC in '04 by running right at people, punching them in the mouth per se & they sat at home last T-Giving because teams (UD & Richmond) were successful doing the same thing, running all over them. They had one of the softer front sevens I saw last season. Big guys, but played soft.

bandl
April 20th, 2006, 01:19 PM
I love the fact that the UD faithful are the experts on JMU football! LOVE IT! :nod:

ChickenMan
April 20th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I love the fact that the UD faithful are the experts on JMU football! LOVE IT! :nod:

The only UD guy that I know who could be considered an 'expert' on JMU football is...

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/images/cuff3_lg.jpg

Omar Cuff... ;)

GannonFan
April 20th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Yeah, we actually follow teams other than our own - amazing isn't it? ;)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
April 20th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Not to take away from Rascati, but I don't consider him the main reason they won the NC in 2004. They had two 1000 yard rushers and Banks chipped in over 500. In the NC game against Montana they had 314 yards on the ground and Rascati was 13 of 18 for 132 yards. Then look at last year, no 1000 yard rushers and they miss the playoffs.

Again, he is a very good QB, but I don't think they can put the weight of the team on him. :twocents:

I love people who only mention skill positions. The answer to a lot of this is O-line. Meanwhile, Rascati performed well both years.

A QB doesn't have to be in Hoftra's Offense to shine. What Rascati has is that special quality that you can't name. He orchestrates the offense well and knows when to run with the ball himself when necessary. Just ask Furman what they think of Rascati, and he was a Sophomore then...

Meanwhile, coaching and playcalling is another thread all to its own... (For the record, I love our style of play - and it's quite similar to UD IMO - perhaps the Hens know how to use the TE a bit better)

blukeys
April 20th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Meanwhile, coaching and playcalling is another thread all to its own... (For the record, I love our style of play - and it's quite similar to UD IMO - perhaps the Hens know how to use the TE a bit better)

Be careful of what you wish for!!!:nod: :nod:

89Hen
April 20th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I love people who only mention skill positions. The answer to a lot of this is O-line.
So you agree that Rascati cannot carry the team?