PDA

View Full Version : 12th Games - Who Would You be Playing?

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2006, 06:56 AM
So, who has 12th games set up in case the motion on the table gets passed?

We have McNeese traveling to Louisiana Lafayette
http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060419/SPORTS/60419009

What other matchups do we know have been in talks?

colgate13
April 20th, 2006, 07:53 AM
I bet the PL doesn't go to 12 all the time... to begin with.

I would love us though to use the 12th game on a I-A.

DFW HOYA
April 20th, 2006, 08:06 AM

Realistically, how many PL teams are going to get I-A games? Two?

blackfordpu
April 20th, 2006, 08:07 AM
So, who has 12th games set up in case the motion on the table gets passed?

We have McNeese traveling to Louisiana Lafayette
http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060419/SPORTS/60419009

What other matchups do we know have been in talks?

Any news on if the Kats will be playing 12 TT?

carney2
April 20th, 2006, 08:51 AM
I bet the PL doesn't go to 12 all the time... to begin with.

I'd settle for an A-10 team or a SoCon. Anybody but another Ivy.

AppGuy04
April 20th, 2006, 08:56 AM

travel expenses my friend

Ivytalk
April 20th, 2006, 09:01 AM
We can't even get an 11th game!:( :bawling:

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Any news on if the Kats will be playing 12 TT?

You'd hope the Kats would play 12 games if it's allowed. Would love another home game, wouldn't we? We have no I-AAs at home outside of SLC slate, so I'd love if Kats were able to get a home game. It'd balance out next year if it's a home-and-home because Missouri St comes in 2007.

MYTAPPY
April 20th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I'd settle for an Ivy school.

LUHawker
April 20th, 2006, 09:25 AM
At the I-A level, I'd like to see Lehigh play Rutgers, Pitt or Army. At the I-AA level, I'd like to play someone from the Big Sky and at the lower levels, I'd like to see Lehigh play local college Muhlenberg or Moravian, although that would not be my preference. I think how teams get scheduled will depend on what criteria the playoff committee would use given a 12-game season. Is it still 7 DI wins, or does it become 8 DI wins? Is it no more than 3 DI losses or is it 4 DI losses? If the criteria is unchanged from last year, I don't think many teams would want to schedule a tough I-AA or a IA and risk playoff chances.

JMU Duke Dog
April 20th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Anyone want to play at JMU on 8/26 or 9/16? PLEASE!

89Hen
April 20th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Realistically, how many PL teams are going to get I-A games? Two?
I dunno, I think it's been more of a case of PL choosing to play Ivy's more than they can't get the games. In the last several years...

Lehigh - UConn, Buffalo
Colgate - Buffalo
Holy Cross - Army
Bucknell - Kent State

I think the PL teams could get a game with MAC, Army, Navy, BigEast...

Some natural games...
Colgate at Syracuse
Holy Cross at Boston College
Lehigh at Penn State
Fordham at Rutgers
Bucknell at Pitt
G'town at Navy
Lafayette at Temple

colgate13
April 20th, 2006, 10:18 AM
89Hen is dead on. We haven't really been choosing to schedule the I-A, but we can if we want to. Colgate's list IMO:

Buffalo
Syracuse
Rutgers
Army
Navy
UConn

Maybe even Duke and Temple.

MSUBear42
April 20th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Mizzou
Arkansas
Arkansas State
Tulsa
Kansas
Iowa State

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2006, 10:20 AM
MSU Bear,

You need to come over to http://www.KatFans.com and let us know what's the deal with your football team as we head into a rematch of our 2004 classic...

carney2
April 20th, 2006, 10:24 AM
travel expenses my friend

There are at least half a dozen A-10 schools as close - or closer - to Easton, PA than Harvard. SoCon was just an idle thought I guess.

griz&beer
April 20th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Anyone want to play at JMU on 8/26 or 9/16? PLEASE!

We would love to play you guys. Come on out west it would be fun. 8/26...

MYTAPPY
April 20th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Harvard or Yale
West Virginia - Battle of the Mountaineers
Wake Forest - Renew the Rivalry, The Black and Gold Bowl

grizband
April 20th, 2006, 12:07 PM
The Griz would probably end up playing Carroll College, from Helena, MT. They are the 4 time defending NAIA national champs.

ucdtim17
April 20th, 2006, 12:13 PM
We can't even get an 11th game!:( :bawling:

play uc davis - we need an 11th game too.

http://ucdavisaggies.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042006aab.html

colgate13
April 20th, 2006, 12:20 PM

The entire Ivy League is barred from scheduling an 11th game. They are limited to 10 games only.

JMU Duke Dog
April 20th, 2006, 12:22 PM
We would love to play you guys. Come on out west it would be fun. 8/26...

JMU will probably be seeking another home game to balance out the schedule to 6 home games and 6 away games. With that being said, JMU could make a return trip to someone in 2007 as that schedule has 6 home games and 5 away games as it currently stands. Is there anyone out there who thinks their school might realistically would do this with JMU? I have provided JMU's next two schedules for the open dates.

2006 Schedule - JMU would probably be seeking a home game
*8/26 OPEN*
9/2 Bloomsburg (could be moved up a week then it would be *OPEN*)
9/9 at Appalachian State
*9/16 OPEN*
9/23 Northeastern
9/30 at VMI
10/7 Rhode Island
10/14 at New Hampshire
10/21 William & Mary
10/28 at Richmond
11/4 Delaware
11/11 at Villanova
11/18 at Towson

2007 Schedule - JMU could be able to travel if 2006 opponent signed a home-and-home coming to JMU in 2006
*8/25 OPEN*
9/1 at UNC
*9/8 OPEN*
9/15 VMI
9/22 Coastal Carolina
9/29 CAA Opponent
10/6 CAA Opponent
10/13 CAA Opponent
10/20 CAA Opponent
10/27 CAA Opponent
11/3 CAA Opponent
11/10 CAA Opponent
11/17 CAA Opponent

JMU Duke Dog
April 20th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Would UC-Davis be willing to travel to JMU in 2006?

ucdtim17
April 20th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Would UC-Davis be willing to travel to JMU in 2006?

I can't speak for the athletic department but I would love that matchup. What kind of guarantee can JMU pay? Do we have any open dates that match up?

OL FU
April 20th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Presbyterian:confused:

walliver
April 20th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Since Wofford doesn't travel more than 100 miles for any OOC game, I see visions of North Greenville or Newberry.

I doubt Wofford would play a 12th game anyway. The last year we did that, Mike Ayers complained that the season was too long. Also, since the Panthers tie up the football practice fields for summer camp, it would be hard to have the team ready for a late August game.

colgate13
April 20th, 2006, 01:50 PM
The last year we did that, Mike Ayers complained that the season was too long.

It was too long because you made the semis that year! xlolx

Did he think 2004 or 2005 was long enough? ;)

Go...gate
April 20th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I-A: Syracuse, Northwestern, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Temple

I-AA: Hofstra, William & Mary

colgate13
April 20th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I-A: Northwestern,

Boy, I think we might get slaughtered here, but I forgot about this potential connection with Murphy their AD...

If Northwestern was down, and Colgate was really up... I still think we lose by 2 TDs. : smh :

catbob
April 20th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Someone brought up a good point, and one that I have wondered about myself.

If IAA is allowed 12 games, does that change the playoff criteria? Will 8-4 get you in, or is 9 wins going to be the magic numbe?

I'd like to see a midwest team come to Bozeman - UNI, WIU, SIU, Missouri State, etc.

JMU Duke Dog
April 20th, 2006, 02:50 PM
I can't speak for the athletic department but I would love that matchup. What kind of guarantee can JMU pay? Do we have any open dates that match up?

UC-Davis and JMU have open dates on 8/26 and 9/16 for the 2006 season schedule. I was thinking that JMU could travel to an opponent in 2007 that was willing to travel to JMU in 2006. I know UC-Davis would have to pay more in travel expenses and is a much better team than Delaware State, but I think we paid Delaware State around $40,000 for their one trip to Harrisonburg without us returning to their place. I personally would love to see JMU and UC-Davis play each other. This summer I am going to intern out in California so I'll be more familiar with all of the California schools. I hope JMU's athletic administration takes a chance and starts this coast-to-coast series.

walliver
April 20th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walliver
The last year we did that, Mike Ayers complained that the season was too long.

It was too long because you made the semis that year!

Did he think 2004 or 2005 was long enough?

I think it was the 2001 and/or 2002 season with 12 regular season games. In 2001 we ended up with an open date after the 1st game (thanks to Osama and Friends) and played the next 11 without a break. Mike Ayers doesn't complain about playing in December.

SU Jag
April 20th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Hopefully Tennessee State! Hampton, SC State, or any other MEAC or SIAC school. Hopefully we can get Northwestern State back, and maybe some schools from the So Con,OVC, or the Southland.

Tod
April 20th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Someone brought up a good point, and one that I have wondered about myself.

If IAA is allowed 12 games, does that change the playoff criteria? Will 8-4 get you in, or is 9 wins going to be the magic numbe?

I'd like to see a midwest team come to Bozeman - UNI, WIU, SIU, Missouri State, etc.

I believe the rule states 7 Div I wins, or it will really hurt your chances. My guess is that that will rise to 8 eventually, if I-AA is allowed 12 games. In the meantime, since no team with 7 has gotten in, unless it was an auto-bid, I think 8 might still get you in, but 9 would almost seal the deal (depending on SoS).

Husky Alum
April 20th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I'm guessing if NU added a 12th game, and scheduled it in August, it would look for a MAAC school like Iona, or an NEC school like Sacred Heart. Since NU would be playing VaTech the week after, it would nead a "gimme" so as not to get anyone injured.

NU would need a home game as there are only 4 home games on the schedule.

We're also open October 14.

I would love to see us play someone like Colgate - but if we can't find a game maybe do an OOC against Villanova or Towson if they'll come to Boston. You could see some A-10 OOC's given the way the schedule works.

Tribe4SF
April 21st, 2006, 06:12 AM
A 12th for the Tribe would, hopefully, be Hampton University. We should play every year. Two great programs, and no travel expenses.

rcny46
April 21st, 2006, 10:14 AM
I know I'm in the minority on this question,but I would prefer that the number of games allowed in a season remain at 11.IMHO,another game amounts to overkill,and as ardent a fan as I am,I simply don't see the necessity for adding another.Let the boos begin!

Pard4Life
April 21st, 2006, 11:52 AM

My thoughts exactly.. except I was thinking we'd choose another Ivy :rolleyes: . It would be easy, I think, to petition Hofstra, Delaware, Villanova, URI, N'eastern for a game, they are relatively close.

And I don't understand why some of the PL supporters on here like 13 are jumping on the 'play an I-A' bandwagon. I am really against that idea. Did we forget that 8-win playoff rule? An I-A game doesn't advance our image cause, only playing and beating elite I-AA teams do. If Colgate beats Furman that'd be huge. If Lafayette beats Delaware, or a revived G'town beats a qaulity JMU team in a 12th game, then our league is stronger when it comes to selection, and in the eyes of the I-AA community.

I-A is a money game, but what does that accomplish in the larger scheme? The odds of Lehigh beating PSU is 1 in 1,000. It is a waste of time and potentially runiouns to the players' health, mentality.

colgate13
April 21st, 2006, 12:30 PM
And I don't understand why some of the PL supporters on here like 13 are jumping on the 'play an I-A' bandwagon. I am really against that idea. Did we forget that 8-win playoff rule?

It's seven. And a Division I-A win counts (I believe - don't know if it has every been tested).

An I-A game doesn't advance our image cause, only playing and beating elite I-AA teams do.

Disagree. Colgate beating Buffalo, Holy Cross beating Army, Lehigh playing UConn very well - these all help the image of the PL.

I-A is a money game, but what does that accomplish in the larger scheme? The odds of Lehigh beating PSU is 1 in 1,000. It is a waste of time and potentially runiouns to the players' health, mentality.

Money IS the larger scheme! :p Running a I-AA football game is a money losing proposition for most colleges. This cash helps the bottom line, which could mean better things for the program.

Also, I wasn't lobbying Lehigh vs. Penn State. That's outrageous. Army/Navy, Rutgers, a down Syracuse, Buffalo, Duke, Temple - now we're talking. I don't want a I-A game against a team that is a serious BCS contender. Give me a middle to low end I-A. A team that if they aren't taking us seriously, and we play a good game, it will be close or even an upset.

But as for the 'larger' scheme issue, here's the perfect example: we had a recruit this year that would have gotten into Colgate but is choosing to walk-on at Rutgers.

http://www.nj.com/images/spacer.gif

Fioranelli to walk on at Rutgers
Wayne Valley lineman Remo Fioranelli will walk on at Rutgers next year in hopes of fulfilling his dream to play Division I-A ball, according to Adam Zagoria of the Herald News (http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2JmZnYmVs N2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2ODgzODQ2).

"I decided to go to Rutgers because I really want to play at the I-A level and Rutgers has the best facilities in the nation, compared to all the other schools," said Fioranelli, who considered I-AA schools Temple, Colgate and Sacred Heart. "It's a higher level of play and it's a better opportunity."The 6-foot-3, 235-pound Fioranelli told the Herald News he expects to be tried out at LB, DT and/or DE at the next level by the Scarlet Knights.

Fioranelli collected 13.5 sacks in 2005 and was named a second-team Associated Press All-State selection.

That's right, giving up a Colgate education and chance to play a lot for a walk-on at Rutgers. The last time Colgate played Rutgers we got embarrased 63-0 in 1993 I think. We are a different team since then (so is Rutgers, I know). But if we can play with Rutgers and play well (not even beat but you never know), that recruit suddenly can't say with a straight face "it's a higher level of play" - when he's walking on. I think we might land a kid like that if we had a schedule with Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, etc. on it.

TxSt02
April 22nd, 2006, 12:43 AM
I know I'm in the minority on this question,but I would prefer that the number of games allowed in a season remain at 11.IMHO,another game amounts to overkill,and as ardent a fan as I am,I simply don't see the necessity for adding another.Let the boos begin!

:nono: :mad: xidiotx : smh :

mikebigg
April 22nd, 2006, 12:33 PM
I would like to see a game in Louisiana against another La School. Grambling is a part of the same system of schools as LaTech, ULM,ULL, Northwestern, Southeastern, Nichols, McNeese. Would be great to play each of these schools at least once in Shreveport to open the season or at least during the La. State Fair Weekend.

McNeese75
April 22nd, 2006, 12:35 PM
I would like to see a game in Louisiana against another La School. Grambling is a part of the same system of schools as LaTech, ULM,ULL, Northwestern, Southeastern, Nichols, McNeese. Would be great to play each of these schools at least once in Shreveport to open the season or at least during the La. State Fair Weekend.

:nod:

Lionsrking
April 23rd, 2006, 12:58 AM

I could go for that.