PDA

View Full Version : Villanova-Penn at Franklin Field Game Thread

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Forget about the curse of the Billy Goat, or the curse of the Bambino. Hope about the curse of the Quakers? Penn is trying to end 100 years of futility tonight at Franklin Field against crosstown rival Villanova. The last time Penn beat Villanova was a 22-0 victory in 1911. Villanova leads the series 10-5 all-time and the past five meetings from 2006 through 2010 have all been tight. This might be Penn's best chance to break the string, against a struggling, injury-plagued and 0-3 Villanova squad. Penn, the two-time Ivy League champion, was shocked 37-12 last week at Franklin Field by Lafayette.

Ironically, this is technically a home game for Villanova. The Wildcats are wearing their blue uniforms, while Penn is in road white.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:07 PM
The game is underway with Penn kicking off to Villanova. No Matt Szczur kickoff returns for touchdowns in this one. First down at the 32 for the Cats.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Penn shut down Villanova on its first drive. The Quakers have the ball at their own 24.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Big pass play from Billy Ragone to Ryan Allen to the Villanova 40.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Penn QB Ragone picked up four yards and a first down at the VU 28.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Ragone avoided a sack from Joey Harmon on third down by throwing the ball away at the last second. That kept Penn in line for a 40-yard field goal attempt from highly-touoted freshman Connor Loftus. The kick was lined low and never reached the goal posts. 0-0 at the 8:57 mark of the first period.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:19 PM
On the next play, Christian Culicerto's pass was picked off by safety Jason Schmucker and returned to the 14. It didn't look like the receiver turned back to look for the ball on a slightly off-target throw. Eight yards on a run on first down for Penn.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Villanova's run defense came up big on second and third down, but the Quakers earned a first down at the four.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:21 PM
TD for Penn from the one, but penalties flags are down. Offsides Villanova. Penn leads 7-0 at the 6:57 mark of the first period.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:23 PM
This is probably the worst crowd for a Villanova-Penn game that I have seen. I doubt there are more than 1,000 Penn fans here for this one. Nice kickoff return for Ronnie Akins to the VU 34.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Culicerto goes up the middle for 13 yards and a first down on a little QB draw.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Penalties flags fly as a Culicerto pass is deflected away. Ineligible receiver downfield for VU is declined. Third and seven from the 50.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Culicerto does a nice job on his reads against the Penn zone and hits Jamal Abdur-Rahman for a first down along the sideline. First down at the Penn 39.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Culicerto looked like Chris Whitney as he faked a read option keeper and threw a pass on a hitch to the 30. Lawrence Doss then ran for no gain and Villanova is lining up for a field goal, much to the chagrin of the Villanova fans. But Mark Hamilton drilled the field goal from 43 yards to make it Penn 7, Villanova 3 with 3:08 remaining in the first period. I'm sure Andy Talley was trying to build some offensive confidence by coming away with points. Seven straight field goals for Hamilton, who hit a career-long kick.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Penn starts its drive at its own 26.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Third and nine for the Quakers.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Ragone scrambles, but it contained. Three and out for Penn.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Fair catch for Villanova at the Cat 29 with 1:38 left.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Nice first-down run for Lawrence Doss to the VU 37.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:34 PM
After a low snap from the spread, Culicerto takes the ball on the read option and gains seven more to the 44.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:35 PM
VU's Lawrence Livers got drilled on a little bubble screen after getting to the 48. And at the end of a quarter, its Penn 7, Villanova 3.

Nova09
September 24th, 2011, 06:38 PM
mr. c, stat sheet shows only doss has carried (other than culicerto keepers) is nova rotating any other backs in the game, even on passing plays? also see one catch for mikey, obviously no carries, is he being targeted or coming in motion? just curious how the offense looks right now.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Culicerto barely beat the blitz as he was hammered a second after releasing a pass to Dorian Wells for 54 yards and a TD. Villanova 10, Penn 7 with 14:06 left in the half. One of the few highlight reel moments for the Cats thus far this season. It was a career-long reception for Wells.

VUCats02
September 24th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:42 PM
mr. c, stat sheet shows only doss has carried (other than culicerto keepers) is nova rotating any other backs in the game, even on passing plays? also see one catch for mikey, obviously no carries, is he being targeted or coming in motion? just curious how the offense looks right now.

They are rotating guys, but largely are stretching the defense from sideline to sideline. Sam Venuto is doing a nice job and so is Culicerto, outside of the one interception. Haven't noticed Mikey Reynolds much yet.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Nice defensive play by the Cats, throwing Jeff Jack for a three-yard loss in the backfield on first down from the Penn 28. After an incomplete pass, it's third and three for Penn from the 25.

Nova09
September 24th, 2011, 06:45 PM
thanks, another thing i've been wondering since i haven't seen any plays this year is if the o-line has reversed for the lefty. does anyone know the answer?

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Ragone is being kept in check on his normally lethal scrambles. Another three and out for Penn as the Villanova defense asserts itself. VU's ball at the Cat 34.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Kevin Monangai goes for eight on first down, but a bad snap sails over Culicerto's head to the VU 20 for a loss of 24.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Penn holds and Hamilton will punt the ball. Fair catch at the 37. A flag goes down when Hamilton is hit on the punt, but it is called running into the kicker, instead of roughing, which would have given VU a first down. The penalty is declined.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 06:48 PM
This is probably the worst crowd for a Villanova-Penn game that I have seen. I doubt there are more than 1,000 Penn fans here for this one. Nice kickoff return for Ronnie Akins to the VU 34.

Well the fact that its a Nova home game doesn't help. Penn students probably don't really feel like paying to watch an on campus game, and Nova students didn't really want to trek into the city, plus today was day of service here.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 06:49 PM
They are rotating guys, but largely are stretching the defense from sideline to sideline. Sam Venuto is doing a nice job and so is Culicerto, outside of the one interception. Haven't noticed Mikey Reynolds much yet.

Still not sure why he didn't play, or was even on the sideline last week

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Brandon Colavita breaks loose for a 43-yard run to the Villanova 17 with some speed and nifty moves.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Jeff Jack scores from eight yards out on a nice pitch sweep.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:52 PM
The extra point makes it Penn 14, Villanova 10 with 8:51 left in the half.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Still not sure why he didn't play, or was even on the sideline last week

I'll have to ask Andy this week.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I'll have to ask Andy this week.

Well if he's there and playing today my guess would be something personal.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:54 PM
There were so many injured Wildcats on the bench in the two hours before game time that maybe that is what was going on with Reynolds. The walking wounded.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Culicerto just made an incredible play, scrambling around pressure and finding Mikey Reynolds (there's that name) at the Penn 39. Christian look very much like Chris Whitney on that one.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Culicerto for a first down on a slide at the Penn 26 after a 13-yard gain.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Perfect time to give the ball to Doss on the zone read for 11 to the 15.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Another completion to Reynolds on a moving pocket to the eight. Second and three.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Culicerto just made an incredible play, scrambling around pressure and finding Mikey Reynolds (there's that name) at the Penn 39. Christian look very much like Chris Whitney on that one.

He was showing a lot of Whitney towards the end of the MU game, especially on a few runs he had where he was directing his blockers as he scrambled along the VU sideline. Im guessing this isn't online anywhere? these posts really help supplement espn gamecast though. Thanks a lot.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Traditional option pitch play to Doss, but Penn shows it discipline and some nice speed to keep it from being a big play, or a TD. Third and one from just inside the seven. Time out Villanova. Huge play for both teams.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 06:59 PM
He was showing a lot of Whitney towards the end of the MU game, especially on a few runs he had where he was directing his blockers as he scrambled along the VU sideline. Im guessing this isn't online anywhere? these posts really help supplement espn gamecast though. Thanks a lot.

Don't think there is any video (outside of the Penn scoreboard).

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Option pitch to Doss the opposite way to the left sideline for a first and goal at the one. Nice play call, Sam Venuto and nice read for QB CC.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:01 PM
False start on TE Ernest Pettway puts the ball on the six for first down.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Don't think there is any video (outside of the Penn scoreboard).

Yeah, all I could find was a paid UPenn site for $10

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Monangai runs for five hard yards to the one.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Penn's mean interior line stops Monangai on second down for a one-yard loss.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Yeah, all I could find was a paid UPenn site for $10

Probably coming straight off the scoreboard feed.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Time out right now before the third and two play with 2:50 left in a nice, crisp first half.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:06 PM
This game is known for its physical play and Kameron Jones just leveled Culicerto for a loss of one. Hamilton comes in to drill the field goal, making it Penn 14, Villanova 13 with 2:03 left in the half. Culicerto was searching for a hole to make a plunge for, but the gap was closed quickly as Jones tore around the left end.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 07:07 PM
This game is known for its physical play and Kameron Jones just leveled Culicerto for a loss of one. Hamilton comes in to drill the field goal, making it Penn 14, Villanova 13 with 2:03 left in the half. Culicerto was searching for a hole to make a plunge for, but the gap was closed quickly as Jones tore around the left end.

They called a timeout and the best they could come up with is a QB keeper? If thats not obvious I don't know what is.

4th and What?
September 24th, 2011, 07:09 PM
feed is at http://pizzatv.yolasite.com

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Here is a Penn fact for you. Ray Priore is Penn's talented defensive coordinator (and probable next coach if Al Bagnoli ever gets a statute next to George Munger and retires). Priore is also the brother of Stony Brook head coach Chuck Priore. Great family. Speaking of families, both Priores and Al Bagnoli are members of the coaching tree of legendary Bob Ford at Albany.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 07:11 PM

Im getting sound. Thanks a lot. Now I need to go back and forth between this and Mr. C's to see what his take on things is.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:11 PM

Thanks for letting everyone know. Once the games start, I can't track things like that down.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Speaking of Chuck Priore, his Seahawks are leading Lafayette, 20-13, in the third period.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Billy Ragone has moved the Quakers to the VU 46 with five seconds left in the half.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Ragone was clobbered as he released a Hail Mary pass that was caught by Penn at the Villanova five as the half ended.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Nova winning big in time of possession 17:26 to 12:11

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:19 PM
23-13 now for Stony Brook. The Lafayette-Penn score is starting to look like a bit of a fluke.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 07:22 PM
"We're in a good place and have no reason to go"
Vince Nicastro on Conference Expansion at Halftime

aceinthehole
September 24th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Here is a Penn fact for you. Ray Priore is Penn's talented defensive coordinator (and probable next coach if Al Bagnoli ever gets a statute next to George Munger and retires). Priore is also the brother of Stony Brook head coach Chuck Priore. Great family. Speaking of families, both Priores and Al Bagnoli are members of the coaching tree of legendary Bob Ford at Albany.

Agreed. A great coach and of course Al Bagnoli is from CCSU :)

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:24 PM
As we regroup at halftime, an upset alert from the southwest. Sam Houston State leads New Mexico 28-21 late in the third period. New Mexico has a former FCS quarterback as its offensive coordinator, ex-Appalachian State starter David Reeves. Reeves is the son of former NFL QB John Reeves (who had the lowest QB ranking in NFL history for starters until Ryan Leaf came along). David Reeves is also the son-in-law of defensive guru Monte Kiffin and the brother-in-law of USC head coach Lane Kiffin. Enough halftime trivia from me for now. Anybody got any Villanova trivia?

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Nothing I can think of.

Out of Washington.....EWU 14 Montana St 17 3:00 2nd. Wonder if there has ever been a champion to start their year of defense 0-4?

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Agreed. A great coach and of course Al Bagnoli is from CCSU :)

Indeed, a great guy to have as an alumnus. But Bagnoli gives Bob Ford tons of credit for his success as a head coach. Ford is one of the true gentlemen of FCS.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 07:28 PM
NDSU 21 Minn 14 at the half. Lets go FCS

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Nothing I can think of.

Out of Washington.....EWU 14 Montana St 17 3:00 2nd. Wonder if there has ever been a champion to start their year of defense 0-4?

Nope. Villanova is the only four loss team to even make a decent run that I can think of. I predicted Montana State would beat Eastern Washington before the season. Rob Ash has done a great job cleaning up the mess that Mike Kramer left in Bozeman.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:31 PM
NDSU 21 Minn 14 at the half. Lets go FCS

You can always count on Minnesota to lose, or nearly lose to teams with Dakota in their names. But, I've got to admit that I am rooting for lots of success with the Gophers for a truly nice guy, Jerry Kill (am I starting to sound like Dick Vitale?).

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Nope. Villanova is the only four loss team to even make a decent run that I can think of. I predicted Montana State would beat Eastern Washington before the season. Rob Ash has done a great job cleaning up the mess that Mike Kramer left in Bozeman.

Hey, we're not 0-4 yet. Montana St just tacked on a FG to bring it to 20-14 at the half

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Teams are back on the field for the start of the second half at Franklin Field. Keep the comments and questions coming. It always makes it more fun to have interaction.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Hey, we're not 0-4 yet. Montana St just tacked on a FG to bring it to 20-14 at the half

I wasn't referring to Villanova as 0-4.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Just 15 minutes away from the toast toss at Franklin Field, one of my favorite FCS and college football traditions.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I wasn't referring to Villanova as 0-4.

My bad, I thought you meant the only team coming off a good run to go 0-4. I understand now

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:36 PM
And the big hits are starting to get more frequent. LB Dillon Lucas laid the leather, er plastic on a Penn kick returner.

Mr. C
Ryan Mitchell hauled in a nice reception for 31 yards to move Penn to the VU 45.

HailSzczur
Just 15 minutes away from the toast toss at Franklin Field, one of my favorite FCS and college football traditions.

Did you bring your own jelly? or are you more a jam guy?
That confused me so much the first time I saw it. But it is a really cool tradition, and very unique.

aceinthehole
September 24th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Indeed, a great guy to have as an alumnus. But Bagnoli gives Bob Ford tons of credit for his success as a head coach. Ford is one of the true gentlemen of FCS.

I'm sure his playing days at Central helped him prepare as well. But yes, Bob Ford is a great teacher. The dean of NEC coaches and a great ambassador for the league and FCS football.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Big third and two for Penn upcoming at the VU 37.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Colavita plows ahead to the VU 33 for a first down.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:39 PM
James Pitts has a couple of nice hits from his cornerback position for Villanova on this drive. He just broke up a pass on first down.

HailSzczur
Looks like Penn is challenging Pitts today. MU was certainly avoiding him.

Mr. C
The thing that makes Colavita such a good back is his ability to keep the legs churning on runs and the way he always is moving forward. He just earned a first down at the VU 20 with a 13-yard run.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Sam Houston 35 New Mex 21 with 12 to go

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:41 PM
DE Rakim Cox just made what could be the play of the game with a fumble recovery off Ragone at the Penn 31. Big stop for the Wildcats.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Culicerto followed a Doss run with another completion on the bubble screen and then carried the ball himself to the Penn 46. Second and three.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 07:43 PM
You're right Mr. C, he really is looking alot like Whitney. That fake was great there

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:44 PM
More hard running by Monangai to make it third and one at the Penn 44. Monangai then burst through the line to the 38.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Monangai is looking really good. And hes a freshmen, which bodes well for the future

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Villanova is running this drive at a much quicker pace than it has gone on any previous possession and it seems to have helped the running game. Another first down for Monangai at the Penn 27. Time out Villanova after some confusion at the line. While we wait, kudos to the Villanova offensive line in this game against one of the toughest defensive fronts in all of FCS.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Monangai is looking really good. And hes a freshmen, which bodes well for the future

Andy Talley really likes Austin Medley as well. Medley is sidelined with an injury tonight, but will probably be back in the next week or two. Another first down for Monangai at the Penn 17.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Villanova is running this drive at a much quicker pace than it has gone on any previous possession and it seems to have helped the running game. Another first down for Monangai at the Penn 27. Time out Villanova after some confusion at the line. While we wait, kudos to the Villanova offensive line in this game against one of the toughest defensive fronts in all of FCS.

Starting to look a lot like the Nova team of the last 2 years that could run all over anyone.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Coverage sack for Penn. Third and 12 from the 19. An injury to the umpire, who got tangled up inside the trenches has momentarily stopped play.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Penn forced Culicerto out of the pocket for four yards to force Villanova into another Hamilton field goal attempt, this time from 31 yards. It is good and Villanova leads 16-14 with six minutes left in the third period.

VUCats02
September 24th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Monangai is giving me hopes for the future. He is a BEAST. Very Aaron Ball - esque

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Ragone misfires on a pass to Mitchell on third and three to force a Penn punt.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Villanova starts from its own 35.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Penn's defense has the Cats in a third and nine situation and forces Culicerto to throw an incompletion, just out of reach of the Quaker secondary. Punting situation for Villanova.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Penn will begin at its own 22 with 2:50 remaining in the third quarter.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Looking good for the FCS to knock of an FBS team. 42 28 Sam Houston over New Mexico with 7:30 to go
Meanwhile W & M is driving on JMU down 10-0 in an extremely physical game

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:00 PM
A pass from Ragone bounced off WR Ryan Calvert and into the arms of James Pitts, who returned it for a touchdown. Pitts also had a interception and TD against Ragone to turn the game in the fourth quarter of last year's 22-10 Villanova win. It was the third career pick six for Pitts, who went 56 yards to kill a potential game-winning drive for Penn last year late in the game.

The Cats lead 23-14 with two minutes left in the third period.

VUCats02
September 24th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Pick 6! Jimmy Pitts!!

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Make that 10-7 JMU over Billy and Mary in Williamsburg

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Ryan Fannon pointed out that Pitts had a pick 6 to ice it against Penn last year......

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:03 PM
The two third-quarter turnovers for Penn have been huge, with Villanova scoring 10 points off of them.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I like the looks of Dillon Lucas tonight. He seems to be built in the LB tradition of the Cats.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Ryan Fannon pointed out that Pitts had a pick 6 to ice it against Penn last year......
Remember it well. Up the same sideline at Villanova Stadium.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Colavita nearly raced for a touchdown with another nice run, but a block below the waist wiped out the play in the final seconds of the third period. Time for Toast!!!

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Bad karma for the Villanova PA announcer, who talked incesantly and encouraged a T-shirt toss as Penn was trying to play its traditional Toast song at the end of the third period. Get a clue, dude!!!

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 08:09 PM
How was the toast today Mr C?

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Big third and 15 upcoming for Penn its own 30 as the Quakers try to get back in rhythm on offense. And then a false start makes it third and 20 from the 25.

VUCats02
September 24th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Bad karma for the Villanova PA announcer, who talked incesantly and encouraged a T-shirt toss as Penn was trying to play its traditional Toast song at the end of the third period. Get a clue, dude!!!

HA! That's hilarious. I never understood the toast thing.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Great tackle by Villanova on a bubble screen to force a punt. The kick was partially blocked and both rusher and punter are down.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 08:12 PM

Hey you dont do stuff like that at our house. How dare they throw food on our field

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:13 PM
It will be interesting to see how Culicerto manages a lead with 13 minutes left and the Cats up by nine points.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 08:13 PM
HA! That's hilarious. I never understood the toast thing.

"Toast" the team. They sing a song titled drink a highball.
http://www.dolphin.upenn.edu/pennband/lyrics.html

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Big hits on Culicerto. Third and 11 upcoming at the Cat 38.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Time out Villanova as the Cats avoid a delay of game amidst some offensive confusion.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Culicerto shows some senior smarts with a throwaway on third down. VU will punt.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Nice return by Matt Hamscher to the Penn 38 with 11:30 left.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Ragone immediately attacks via the pass and hits Mitchell for a first down at the VU 33.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Colavita is closing in on 100 yards for Penn.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM
That roughing the passer was bs

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Ragone tried to challenge Craig James again deep in VU territory and it was intercepted. But the turnover was nullified by a roughing the passer on Lucas. Villanova was also called for a personal foul after the play to give Penn the ball at the Cat 10 for a first and goal with 10:13 left. Mark down that play.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:21 PM
TD pass to Ryan Calvert on the next play makes it Villanova 23, Penn 21. With 10 minutes left, we are heading for a typically wild Villanova-Penn finish.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Villanova starts the next drive at its own 23.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 08:25 PM
liking the 23-21 score actually. Very comfortable and familiar

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Fourth down and punting time again for Villanova.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Penn started at its own 33, but now has a third and nine with six and a half minutes left.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:30 PM
liking the 23-21 score actually. Very comfortable and familiar
Andy Talley was talking to me on the sideline before the game about how the freshman kicker for Penn was one of the top 15 kickers in his senior class of high school and had numerous big-time scholarship offers.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:31 PM
After a pass, it is fourth and one from the Penn 42 and the Quakers line up to punt.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Sam Houston New Mexico going to OT

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Personally, I would have gone for it on fourth and one. One of many items to discuss with my friends, Al Bagnoli and Andy Talley, over lunch on Wednesday.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Sam Houston New Mexico going to OT

Go Bearkats with a K

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Doss picks up four yards on third down for a VU first down with four minutes left.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Penn has to call its second time out of the half. Both teams are down to one time out left with 2:52 remaining. Third and six upcoming for the Cats at their own 27.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Beautiful lofted throw through traffic by Culicerto to Mikey Reynolds for a first down at the Cat 40. And the clock begins to be a factor.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Final Penn time out with 2:13 left. The Quakers should have gone for it on fourth and one.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Freshmen mistake going out of bounds there.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Third and six for Nova with 1:40 and counting left.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:42 PM
An incomplete pass for Villanova with 1:33 remaining is going to force a punt and give Penn one final chance.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Amazing punt. Haven't seen a punt that good since some of Scarnechia's in the playoffs against W & M

Go Lehigh TU owl
An incomplete pass for Villanova with 1:33 remaining is going to force a punt and give Penn one final chance.

Penn in a close game against 'Nova with a chance to win at the end. I've seen this before...

Mr. C
Great Mark Hamilton punt goes over the head of Penn's Hamscher. He field it at the three and is stopped at the four. Ragone scrambled to the 14 and goes out of bounds with 1:11 left at the 15.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Delayed approach on the pass rush by DE Marlon Johnson results in a sack to the 10. Ragone's pass to Mitchell is broken up, third and 15.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Marlon Johnson with a huge sack at the 1 minute mark

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:46 PM
A short pass completion brings up fourth and eight and Ronnie Akins picks off a pass and takes it 26 yards to the house with 12 seconds left.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 08:47 PM
RONNIE!!!!!!!!! D comes up big with another pick 6. might have been better pulling a Brian Westbrook against Dallas and taking a knee on the one, but Hamilton made the all important PAT to put the lead to 9

Mr. C
Villanova 30, Penn 21 and you can put a fork in this one. The curse of the Quakers continues.

VUCats02
Another Pick 6!!!! Nova will not go winless! The 100+ year drought for upenn continues...

Mr. C
September 24th, 2011, 08:49 PM
After a long Ragone pass completion, the game is over.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Thank God, now we can't post an 0-fer this year

VUCats02
September 24th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Coming into the season, knowing that Nova would not get many wins this year, there were two games I really cared about......this one and Delaware. Very happy Nova pulled this one out.

aceinthehole
September 24th, 2011, 08:56 PM
So is Penn bad, or 'Nova good? ;)

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 08:58 PM
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5834/pennvill.jpg

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 09:01 PM
So is Penn bad, or 'Nova good? ;)

Penn probably isn't as good as thought and Nova isn't quite as bad as thought. Nova D came up big tonight though and thats what made the difference. 2 pick 6's and a fumble recovery.

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Coming into the season, knowing that Nova would not get many wins this year, there were two games I really cared about......this one and Delaware. Very happy Nova pulled this one out.

I agree. If we only win 2 games all year please let it be those 2

VUCats02
September 24th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I will consider it a successful season if Nova beats Delaware and loses out to everyone else.

Anovafan
September 26th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Nova is still bad, Penn is worse. Worst team I have seen Penn put on the field since Nova started playing them again. I can't see how Penn is favored to win the Ivy title. Nova had a few bright spots, but there are so many young players making mistakes on every play it is tough to watch. I can't see this Nova team being competitive in the CAA this year.

Ivytalk
September 26th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Nova is still bad, Penn is worse. Worst team I have seen Penn put on the field since Nova started playing them again. I can't see how Penn is favored to win the Ivy title. Nova had a few bright spots, but there are so many young players making mistakes on every play it is tough to watch. I can't see this Nova team being competitive in the CAA this year.

Penn is at Dartmouth on Saturday. If Dartmouth wins that one, the Ivy race is officially wide-open.