PDA

View Full Version : NEC vs. Ivy League

aceinthehole
September 24th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Well the NEC's recent results vs. the storied Ancient Eight football teams has been very good!

The NEC is 5-1 vs. the Ivy League in the last 2+ seasons.

W - CCSU at Columbia

W - Albany at Yale
L - Sacred Heart at Dartmouth
W - Wagner vs. Cornell

W - Albany at Columbia
W - Sacred Heart vs. Dartmouth
Wagner at Cornell
Sacred Heart at Columbia

Monmouth at Cornell
Sacred Heart at Dartmouth

Monmouth vs. Cornell
Monmouth at Columbia
Rhode Island at Brown
Sacred Heart at Columbia
Wagner at Cornell

Albany vs. Columbia
Monmouth vs. Columbia
Rhode Island vs. Brown

bulldog10jw
September 24th, 2011, 03:14 PM
OK, I'm convinced. The NEC is better.

crusader11
September 24th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Always nice beating up on some of the Ivy League's worst teams, huh?

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Ivy has to schedule somebody ever since Tim Murphy announced the no-more-Patriot rule.

Like I say, they have to come back with this after they've been dragging Penn's arse up and down the field for 130 years.

bulldog10jw
September 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM

Actually, Dartmouth was SUPPOSED to be very strong this year. We should know over the next two weeks as they have Penn at home and Yale on the road.

aceinthehole
September 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM

Excuses, excuses.

Early this season, some Ivy and PL fans were saying Dartmouth was an Ivy contender. The same had been said of Yale and Columbia in the past seasons.

Yes, Cornell is a dog, but the 5-1 record speaks for itself. ANd another thing, let's not pretend this is the cream of the crop in the NEC winning these games. Wagner and SHU is winning these games, not just CCSU and Albany.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Early this season, some Ivy and PL fans were saying Dartmouth was an Ivy contender. The same had been said of Yale and Columbia in the past seasons.

Just making small talk there. Makes them feel better about themselves. There are always just three contenders - Harvard, Yale and Penn. Come back with this when one of you beats all three of them in a season.

Dane96
September 24th, 2011, 03:26 PM

You play the teams you play. How about we change Ace's comment to, "TOP TO BOTTOM, THE NEC IS SEEMINGLY BETTER THAN THE IVY.

Does that work?

crusader11
September 24th, 2011, 03:31 PM
"TOP TO BOTTOM, THE NEC IS SEEMINGLY BETTER THAN THE IVY.

Does that work?

No, because Harvard, Brown, and Yale are still much better than the NEC's best.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 03:32 PM
You play the teams you play. How about we change Ace's comment to, "TOP TO BOTTOM, THE NEC IS SEEMINGLY BETTER THAN THE IVY.

Does that work?

Oh, certainly, I completely agree. Much better. Much more seeming.

You do realize that they could not care less about you, right? You're practice fodder; OOC games don't count and they're not even calculated in Ivy statistics. Nobody knows that you even played.

Don't mean to sound harsh but it's the truth.

aceinthehole
September 24th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Just making small talk there. Makes them feel better about themselves. There are always just three contenders - Harvard, Yale and Penn. Come back with this when you beat all three of them in a season.

Whatever. Yale has already lost its only NEC matchup. These teams are the only "contenders" because they never play anyone outside of the PL.

Other than their losss to Albany, Yale hasn't played a non-PL/PFL opponent since 2003 (Towson).
Penn's last non-PL win was vs Duquesne back in 2005 when tey were in the MAAC.
With the exception of home games vs. Northeastern, Harvard hasn't played a non-PL opponent since 1993 (William & Mary).

When these teams want to open their schedule, we'll beat them too.

Franks Tanks
September 24th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Whatever. Yale has already lost its only NEC matchup. These teams are the only "contenders" because they never play anyone outside of the PL.

Other than their losss to Albany, Yale hasn't played a non-PL/PFL opponent since 2003 (Towson).
Penn's last non-PL win was vs Duquesne back in 2005 when tey were in the MAAC.
With the exception of home games vs. Northeastern, Harvard hasn't played a non-PL opponent since 1993 (William & Mary).

When these teams want to open their schedule, we'll beat them too.

CCSU just lost to a team that lost to Lehigh by 40.

Harvard is really good. Last time they played Northeastern they smoked em 41-14. Penn only plays Nova -- how many teams beat Nova over the last 3-4 years?

aceinthehole
September 24th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Oh, certainly, I completely agree. Much better. Much more seeming.

You do realize that they could not care less about you, right? You're practice fodder; OOC games don't count and they're not even calculated in Ivy statistics. Nobody knows that you even played.

Don't mean to sound harsh but it's the truth.

Sure, these games NEC games are beneath Ivy fans. And sure they can ignore the losses. I don't think that matters.

However, there is NO REASON to say Harvard or any other Ivy team is ever a top-25 FCS team. They don't play FCS opponents. They should follow the lead of the NESCAC and play only conference games. There is no factual basis to ever suggest that the Ivy is better than the NEC.

If anyone could put their arrogance aside, they would agree that we are in a new era of FCS football and Ivy football is no longer relavant to anyone but Ivy and PL fans.

Go...gate
September 24th, 2011, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE=Bogus Megapardus;1681922]Ivy has to schedule somebody ever since Tim Murphy announced the no-more-Patriot rule.

When was this?

aceinthehole
September 24th, 2011, 03:52 PM
CCSU just lost to a team that lost to Lehigh by 40.

Harvard is really good. Last time they played Northeastern they smoked em 41-14. Penn only plays Nova -- how many teams beat Nova over the last 3-4 years?

Are you serious? CCSU just lost to a NEC team that just beat 'Nova - MONMOUTH.

So when Harvard loses to Penn, that's OK. But CCSU or Albany can't lose to eachother or Monmouth - why?

Listen, Lehigh has a really good team this year. Congrats! They proved it by beating teams like Monmouth and Liberty, and almost knocking off UNH.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 04:19 PM
When was this?

A combination of self-deprecating jest and my well-known penchant for hyperbole when it comes to all things AGS, 'gate. Remember the Crimson article where Murphy was quoted as saying he would have to "rethink" Patriot scheduling were merit aid to be approved?

Dane96
September 24th, 2011, 05:30 PM
No, because Harvard, Brown, and Yale are still much better than the NEC's best.

Albany, in a down year and with probably 40-50 less kids on full dollars, beat Yale. Yes, I am saying Yale has 63+ rides.

Now go get your shinebox. ;)

Go...gate
September 24th, 2011, 06:53 PM
A combination of self-deprecating jest and my well-known penchant for hyperbole when it comes to all things AGS, 'gate. Remember the Crimson article where Murphy was quoted as saying he would have to "rethink" Patriot scheduling were merit aid to be approved?

OK. I feel better now. I'm one of the PL guys who likes the Ivy matchups.

Go...gate
September 24th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Fact is that the NEC, with a 40-scholarship limit, is right on a competitive level with Ivy/Patriot football and their varying "equivalencies".

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2011, 06:57 PM
OK. I feel better now. I'm one of the PL guys who likes the Ivy matchups.

Me too! Let's let this thread die a peaceful death.

danefan
September 24th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Fact is that the NEC, with a 40-scholarship limit, is right on a competitive level with Ivy/Patriot football and their varying "equivalencies".

Agreed.

Some years one league will have a really strong team. This year it looks like the Patriot is up with Lehigh.