PDA

View Full Version : App begins Conference talks

Apphole
September 22nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
http://www.highcountrypress.com/weekly/2011/09-22-11/asu-trustees-to-vote.htm

"At its quarterly meeting this Friday, September 23, in Washington, D.C., the ASU Board of Trustees will consider a resolution authorizing the chancellor and university administrators to negotiate for potential membership in a FBS conference."

DFW HOYA
September 22nd, 2011, 10:55 AM
" for potential membership in a FBS conference."

What, the Big 12 is calling? Of course not. Big East? Don't think so. Sun Belt? It's full.

So, does App really want to play in the WAC?

Wildcat80
September 22nd, 2011, 10:59 AM
JMU, UDel, ODU.....following?

OL FU
September 22nd, 2011, 11:03 AM
I appreciate all the hoots and hollers, they want to move up. I wish them well.

henfan
September 22nd, 2011, 11:04 AM

Comments made by UD officials recently seem to indicate that they are going nowhere. Unless they are completely operating in the dark, I think you can put the idea of UD going anywhere any time soon to rest.

superman7515
September 22nd, 2011, 11:05 AM

Not here. See the CAA article I posted earlier. We have no plans to move up. We have no plans to stay. We just have no plans at all. We're just drunk and happy to be here.

asumike83
September 22nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
What, the Big 12 is calling? Of course not. Big East? Don't think so. Sun Belt? It's full.

So, does App really want to play in the WAC?

As you might have heard, there has been some movement among conferences at the FBS level. This could lead to an opening in Conference USA, which I'd imagine is what they are preparing for. Unless the Big East, Big 12, Sun Belt and WAC are now the only FBS conferences out there and all the others have folded, which would be news to me.

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2011, 11:09 AM
UD is happy where they are, even though they probably belong in FBS.

BigApp
September 22nd, 2011, 11:10 AM
What, the Big 12 is calling? Of course not. Big East? Don't think so.

not so fast...Syracuse (a founding BE member) and Pitt just left you. BC and VaTech have also left you...a few others just might leave you very soon...when Georgetown gets serious about playing Division I football you might have choices too.

Smitty
September 22nd, 2011, 11:16 AM
I figure that there would be merges (Big12/Big East, CUSA/Mountain West) to finish all of this talk leaving the WAC and a few other teams that weren't lucky out of the loop.

alvinkayak6
September 22nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
App State to the Big East would be a GIANT LMAO.

superman7515
September 22nd, 2011, 11:33 AM
App State to the Big East would be a GIANT LMAO.

Yeah because your Savannah State team is so much better.

apaladin
September 22nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Conference USA will surely be raided if this mess continues and only the worst will remain if the conference survives, so it becomes somewhat less attractive.
Just a thought: Would you ever thought that the Michigan win could wind up being a bad thing for ASU? They got a LOT of mileage out of that win and now they think they are too good for FCS and soon that will lead them to FBS obscurity.

apaladin
September 22nd, 2011, 01:14 PM
http://www.highcountrypress.com/weekly/2011/09-22-11/asu-trustees-to-vote.htm

"At its quarterly meeting this Friday, September 23, in Washington, D.C., the ASU Board of Trustees will consider a resolution authorizing the chancellor and university administrators to negotiate for potential membership in a FBS conference."

I guess they wanted some of those $16 muffins and $10 brownies, LOL!

Apphole
September 22nd, 2011, 01:19 PM
Some would argue that FBS obscurity is less obscure than an FCS powerhouse.

Sly Fox
September 22nd, 2011, 01:27 PM

+1

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2011, 01:31 PM

Truest true a true could be. I really need to go to bed.

Smitty
September 22nd, 2011, 01:41 PM

Honestly it is all the same to me. Only time teams from 60-120 are ever mentioned is when Rivals counts down all the teams at the beginning of the year. So the question is would you rather be known as #1 in the FCS or #94 in the FBS*

*Subject to change of course

Lehigh Football Nation
September 22nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
Check the crack pipes in Boone, if they think that App State is seriously being considered for Big East membership.

henfan
September 22nd, 2011, 01:50 PM

Some would also argue the opposite and neither would have much ground to stand on. It's just a matter of opinion & perspective.

ASUMountaineer
September 22nd, 2011, 01:52 PM
Conference USA will surely be raided if this mess continues and only the worst will remain if the conference survives, so it becomes somewhat less attractive.
Just a thought: Would you ever thought that the Michigan win could wind up being a bad thing for ASU? They got a LOT of mileage out of that win and now they think they are too good for FCS and soon that will lead them to FBS obscurity.

Do you know the scores to this week's NFL games to bet on some lines? That would be awesome if you could share, you know...with the crystal ball and all.

I don't think any of us knows what's going to happen and if ASU will ultimately make a move to FBS. And no, I don't think the Michigan win could ever wind up being a bad thing for ASU. Sitting on the front row of the Big House for that game will always be one of the best experiences of my life.

Apphole
September 22nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Honestly it is all the same to me. Only time teams from 60-120 are ever mentioned is when Rivals counts down all the teams at the beginning of the year. So the question is would you rather be known as #1 in the FCS or #94 in the FBS*

*Subject to change of course

Well are you referring to obscurity of a program or yearly team rankings? The two are connected a little too much IMO.

Apphole
September 22nd, 2011, 02:07 PM
Some would also argue the opposite and neither would have much ground to stand on. It's just a matter of opinion & perspective.

You're absolutely right, it's ALL about perception. But the fact is, the vast majority of college football fans see the FCS as a slack division. All of us on here know that not to be true, but it doesn't matter. "Program obscurity" is determined by the perceptions of the public.

Seawolf97
September 22nd, 2011, 02:20 PM
I would think C-USA would be afit. The MAC is primarily a Mid West Conference even though they now have UMass, after that isnt much out there. Maybe programs like App. St. , JMU, UNC- Charlotte and a few others form an all sports FBS Conference in the Southeast. Something like the MAC vs the Big Ten. I would doubt the BE, ACC or SEC come calling even in these turbulant times.

PantherRob82
September 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Why is everyone bringing up the BCS conferences? No App St employee or fan has mentioned any of them.

asumike83
September 22nd, 2011, 02:37 PM
Why is everyone bringing up the BCS conferences? No App St employee or fan has mentioned any of them.

I was wondering the same thing.

phoenix3
September 22nd, 2011, 02:46 PM

It really doesn't seem like anyone is ready to raid CUSA right now. With ECU, CUSA's #1 attendance team, (apparently by far), being turned down flat by by the BE seemingly without any consideration whatsoever, I'm not so sure that CUSA will be "raided" by anyone. Honestly, joining other schools ready to make the move to start a new conference, or pleading their case to the Sun Belt seems to be the only FBS avenue for App right now.

FurmanWins!!
September 22nd, 2011, 02:52 PM
Two Words: "Western Kentucky"

biggie
September 22nd, 2011, 02:52 PM
Based on the AD's comments a few weeks ago, doubt that we'll be even looking at Sun Belt, thankfully.

I don't want to be FBS, but only way to lighten the pain is if a good conference is available. Would love ACC, since rivalries would be everywhere and keep costs down. But figure it'll be C-USA eventually.

asumike83
September 22nd, 2011, 02:59 PM
Two Words: "Western Kentucky"

If we are making irrelevant comparisons with schools that have little in common with Appalachian, two words: Boise State

FurmanWins!!
September 22nd, 2011, 02:59 PM
Attendance at Marshall is way down, over the 6 last seasons they have a record of:

2010- 5-7
2009- 7-6
2008- 4-8
2007- 3-9
2006- 5-7
2005- 4-7

2011- About to be 1-3 after a loss to VPI

Have fun App ;)

asumike83
September 22nd, 2011, 03:05 PM
Attendance at Marshall is way down, over the 6 last seasons they have a record of:

2010- 5-7
2009- 7-6
2008- 4-8
2007- 3-9
2006- 5-7
2005- 4-7

2011- About to be 1-3 after a loss to VPI

Have fun App ;)

That program has struggled since Bob Pruett left, not because they went FBS. I like how you conveniently left out their records for the first 6 years after they moved up. Their first 6 seasons at the FBS level were:

1997: 10-3
1998: 12-1
1999: 13-0
2000: 8-5
2001: 10-2
2002: 11-2

FurmanWins!!
September 22nd, 2011, 03:07 PM
Thanks for making my point dude, that is exactly what I was saying, they were a better program before they left and have declined big time ever since, you and me make a great team.

FurmanWins!!
September 22nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
The Boise Example is way off as well, they are one of the main teams in their region recruiting wise, App is not even close to having that advantage here in the Southeast and never will.

asumike83
September 22nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks for making my point dude, that is exactly what I was saying, they were a better program before they left and have declined big time ever since, you and me make a great team.

They won 64 games in their first 6 seasons in the FBS, how is that a decline? Their struggles since then have come from not having the right coaching staff, which will set a program back no matter what level they play at. I would think a Furman fan in the midst of a 4-year playoff drought would understand that.

The Boise Example is way off as well, they are one of the main teams in their region recruiting wise, App is not even close to having that advantage here in the Southeast and never will.

I know the comparison makes no sense, hence the reason I called it an 'irrelevant comparison' just like your WKU/ASU comparison. Plus, many of their players are from California where they recruit heavily, and I believe there are a couple of FBS programs out there.

Skjellyfetti
September 22nd, 2011, 03:19 PM
Check the crack pipes in Boone, if they think that App State is seriously being considered for Big East membership.

Check the crack pipes in Bethlehem if you read any App fans or App officials talking Big East or BCS conferences....

xrolleyesx

FurmanWins!!
September 22nd, 2011, 03:22 PM
Whatever helps you sleep at night bro, I honestly don't care what you guys decide, I will root for you, but I know that the chances of becoming successful over a sustained period at that level are very very slim.
Cheers ;)

Skjellyfetti
September 22nd, 2011, 03:25 PM
Whatever helps you sleep at night bro, I honestly don't care what you guys decide, I will root for you, but I know that the chances of becoming successful over a sustained period at that level are very very slim.
Cheers ;)

Yeah, it's easier to be competitive when your competition is tougher. No doubt about it.

I mean, if all you want to do is be successful and win as many games as you can-- you should want Furman to move to the Patriot League or Division II, right? I mean, who cares if you're playing weaker competition... as long as you're winning games, amirite?

TheBisonator
September 22nd, 2011, 03:28 PM
Question for fans on here:

What college football team does Joe Idiot in an Atlanta sports bar know of more?? (Or at least, could try and BS some more knowledge on if he was trying to talk to you about it)

Arkansas State or James Madison??

FurmanWins!!
September 22nd, 2011, 03:31 PM
Yeah, it's easier to be competitive when your competition is tougher. No doubt about it.

I mean, if all you want to do is be successful and win as many games as you can-- you should want Furman to move to the Patriot League or Division II, right? I mean, who cares if you're playing weaker competition... as long as you're winning games, amirite?

FU has already been successful in the SoCon for 30 years, App has not in FBS, I get the point you are trying to make but it just does not apply to what I am talking about, sorry but thanks for playing.

StorminASU
September 22nd, 2011, 03:33 PM
FU has already been successful in the SoCon for 30 years, App has not in FBS, I get the point you are trying to make but it just does not apply to what I am talking about, sorry but thanks for playing.

Couldn't we just also say the point you are trying to make doesn't apply to what we believe? Do you wanna also start doing the "he's touching me/I'm not touching him" routine?

FurmanWins!!
September 22nd, 2011, 03:35 PM
I get your point, you want to be bigger than you are right now, and that's cool bro, but the odds are against you, well see what happens, its all good ;)

fc97
September 22nd, 2011, 03:36 PM

What college football team does Joe Idiot in an Atlanta sports bar know of more?? (Or at least, could try and BS some more knowledge on if he was trying to talk to you about it)

joe idiot in north carolina don't know either one. i just started a football conversation here with a clemson, virginia tech and nc state grad. they always talk football. i asked what they thought of akron, troy and arkansas state. they laughed and said I was the one that keeps up with fcs. even the big school fans could care less about the lesser schools.

the perception, you get some sunshine like ecu and marshall and you get a name people know of. get a program that doesn't get much sunshine and you are seen like an fcs even though you are fbs.

if you aren't bcs then you are second rate no matter where you are.

superman7515
September 22nd, 2011, 04:01 PM

In Atlanta? Without question they know James Madison. That's the school that Georgia State is going to play. And everyone in Atlanta comes out to see Georgia State.

TheBisonator
September 22nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
In Atlanta? Without question they know James Madison. That's the school that Georgia State is going to play. And everyone in Atlanta comes out to see Georgia State.

OK, how about Joe Idiot in Los Angeles??

PantherRob82
September 22nd, 2011, 04:07 PM

neither. LOL

PantherRob82
September 22nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
What's the deal with a Furman troll?

FurmanWins!!
September 22nd, 2011, 04:14 PM
I am a SoCon brother son, what's the deal with the random MVC guy, oh I see you have 6,800 posts so you have to say some pointless stuff like what you just said to get that many ;)

youwouldno
September 22nd, 2011, 05:01 PM
App has nowhere to go. These press releases are intended to keep their name out there if things do shake out a certain way... like most schools right now, they can do little more than sit and wait. The chances they go FBS in the next few years are not good, through no real fault of their own.

Skjellyfetti
September 22nd, 2011, 05:05 PM
The chances they go FBS in the next few years are not good, through no real fault of their own.

Y'all must be a lot better informed than these Athletic Directors. xconfusedx

Bourne said, without prompting, that he could see JMU becoming a charter member of a conference comprised of upper-level I-AA schols and lower-level I-A schools – schools such as Appalachian State, Delaware, Marshall, Ohio University and Old Dominion.

While that would mean the end of meaningful rivalries with the Richmonds and William & Marys – programs likely to remain in what is now Division I-AA — it would put Madison in a conference of completely like-minded universities, meaning all would be committed to football as well as basketball.

“I think it is very likely something like this could happen,” Bourne said. “I would guess you could see movement in 18-24 months.”

Conferences are changing rapidly. How can you say there won't be spots in a year or two?

putter
September 22nd, 2011, 05:23 PM
That program has struggled since Bob Pruett left, not because they went FBS. I like how you conveniently left out their records for the first 6 years after they moved up. Their first 6 seasons at the FBS level were:

1997: 10-3
1998: 12-1
1999: 13-0
2000: 8-5
2001: 10-2
2002: 11-2

That is because they still had their FCS talent on the roster!! And no, that statement is not as far off as some may think!

alvinkayak6
September 22nd, 2011, 05:23 PM
Joe Idiot in Los Angeles is too busy texting on his sidekick and smoking you know what.

"Wait. There was a game today?"

Joe Idiot in North Carolina is waiting for college basketball season, so his favorite team (undoubtedly UNC or Duke) will win the Tobacco Road Derby.

youwouldno
September 22nd, 2011, 05:36 PM
Y'all must be a lot better informed than these Athletic Directors. xconfusedx

Conferences are changing rapidly. How can you say there won't be spots in a year or two?

Well I didn't say 'impossible', just not good. Why are these changes happening? Random chance? No. Basically it's all about TV. Academic prestige is a secondary consideration of varying significance.

The way it works is this: a conference generally wants to add a program if it increases the conference TV value by more than the change in the revenue split. In other words, a 9 team conference would add a 10th team if it increased their TV market value by more than 11%.

Of course, if a conference already has an even number, then it would need to add 2 teams. C-USA would only want to do this if those two teams increased their TV market valuation by 17%. That's a huge number and App could not come close to half of that, maybe not even a quarter.

Without a financial justification, App's only path is to a conference which is lacking in numbers and needs to build membership. Even so they trail some other FCS schools in TV market potential- particularly ODU, JMU, and Delaware in the mid-atlantic. Soon Charlotte might be added to that list. There is just no indication that C-USA is going to implode, and that's what it would take for App to even be on their radar.

asumike83
September 22nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
That is because they still had their FCS talent on the roster!! And no, that statement is not as far off as some may think!

For six years? I know Randy Moss was gone after the first two, so they must have gotten REAL creative with the redshirts after that!

Seawolf97
September 22nd, 2011, 05:47 PM
The key to all this is all sports have to be brought up to FBS level along with facilities. Good football and big stadiums are just one part of the equation. Then figure in maybe few new coach's in various olympic sports to help compete. It gets pricey which is part of the problem many FCS athletic programs will have to deal with. It is good to see some schools make the open committment to move up but it is a total package that must move up. Not being negative but realistic about a tough environment. I hope App. St and JMU who also is on the FBS hunt do well and make us proud.

Skjellyfetti
September 22nd, 2011, 05:49 PM
Well I didn't say 'impossible', just not good. Why are these changes happening? Random chance? No. Basically it's all about TV. Academic prestige is a secondary consideration of varying significance.

The way it works is this: a conference generally wants to add a program if it increases the conference TV value by more than the change in the revenue split. In other words, a 9 team conference would add a 10th team if it increased their TV market value by more than 11%.

Of course, if a conference already has an even number, then it would need to add 2 teams. C-USA would only want to do this if those two teams increased their TV market valuation by 17%. That's a huge number and App could not come close to half of that, maybe not even a quarter.

Without a financial justification, App's only path is to a conference which is lacking in numbers and needs to build membership. Even so they trail some other FCS schools in TV market potential- particularly ODU, JMU, and Delaware in the mid-atlantic. Soon Charlotte might be added to that list. There is just no indication that C-USA is going to implode, and that's what it would take for App to even be on their radar.

I know I always have to remind people of this. But, Boone is in the Charlotte media market.

http://oi56.tinypic.com/10yfhnq.jpg

http://www.truckads.com/Affiliate/images/charlotte_dma_map.gif

49RFootballNow
September 22nd, 2011, 05:52 PM
Oh good, I've been missing the trucker advertising map! :D

asumike83
September 22nd, 2011, 05:57 PM
Cheers ;)

I think the ASU administration is looking to the future. The sport is just not the same as it was when Marshall, WKU, Troy, Boise, etc. made their move up. College football is changing and the landscape will look a lot different 5+ years from now. I think you will see a number of the larger FCS programs moving up and becoming mid-major FBS programs. Whether it is joining C-USA or a newly formed FBS conference to align themselves with other like-minded institutions, I have confidence that ASU will put themselves in a position to succeed.

dbackjon
September 22nd, 2011, 06:12 PM
For six years? I know Randy Moss was gone after the first two, so they must have gotten REAL creative with the redshirts after that!

They moved to C-USA in 2005. They were in the MAC before. Can't compete in the C-USA.

youwouldno
September 22nd, 2011, 06:26 PM
I know I always have to remind people of this. But, Boone is in the Charlotte media market.

Sure, technically. But what is App St's share of the market, and what rank are they? It is certainly quite poor on both counts. Ahead of them in Charlotte would be: UNC, NC State, and Clemson by very wide margins. East Carolina and South Carolina are also ahead. And that's just football- basketball is a key sport in the area and App has zero significance in that sport.

So what is it worth to be 6th in the Charlotte college football media market with, assuming a big increase in interest due to the FBS move, a 5% market share? Well I guess it would be worth more than nothing, but certainly it isn't enough for any FBS conference to care.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 22nd, 2011, 06:42 PM
It's weird that Marshall moved up and then had trouble finding a good coach to keep it going. I am sure that this was a big issue but why couldn't they attract a coach at least at the level of Pruett?

The crowds didn't grow. The money was not all that it was supposed to be. The coaches salary had to be commensurate with the other FBS coaches and if you want to attract the better coaches it has to be something that the school could not afford I would bet.

The students are gonna have to pay for this in a pretty big amount I will bet so if they are behind it and want to pass the Athletic Budget shortfalls on to the next coming in then good enough.

Your football program will be heavily financed by the student athletic fees though.

Skjellyfetti
September 22nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
The students are gonna have to pay for this in a pretty big amount I will bet so if they are behind it and want to pass the Athletic Budget shortfalls on to the next coming in then good enough.

Your football program will be heavily financed by the student athletic fees though.

Will it cost more money to move to FBS?

Yes. According to the committee’s analysis, ASU athletics will have to raise its yearly budget by about $6 million for its teams to be viable in an FBS conference. However, the committee concluded that a move to FBS would open new revenue streams to cover the costs, including increased ticket sales, corporate sponsorships, donations and funds dispersed by conferences to member institutions from television rights fees, NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament shares and the Bowl Championship Series and other bowl games.

In the coming weeks, the athletics feasibility committee will finalize its report with complete financial analysis of a potential move.

With the state of North Carolina’s current budget crunch, why spend more money on athletics now?

With the changing landscape of Division I athletics, the window of opportunity to enhance the University’s growth for decades to come is now.

By law, ASU athletics does not receive state appropriations or tax-payer dollars and any additional spending on athletics would not take away from the University’s academic budget.

Additionally, data shows that FBS athletic departments use a substantially smaller percentage of their total spending from direct and indirect institutional support than those at the FCS level. A recent NCAA study shows that direct and indirect institutional support as a funding source for athletics is approximately 20 percent in the FBS and 72 percent in the FCS. Just over half of ASU’s current athletics budget is funded by indirect institutional support (student fees).

Since the beginning of its analysis, the athletics feasibility committee has been committed to recommending a move only if it positively affects the academic role of the University and without substantial increases to student fees. The committee believes that its blended financial model achieves both objectives.
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205246267

Marshall replacing their coach with less capable people is a good point. If we move up... our success or failure will be very dependent on whoever replaces Jerry Moore. Will be a HUGE hire for Charlie Cobb.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 22nd, 2011, 07:33 PM
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205246267

Marshall replacing their coach with less capable people is a good point. If we move up... our success or failure will be very dependent on whoever replaces Jerry Moore. Will be a HUGE hire for Charlie Cobb.

I know that's what the studdy says skjelly. I've read it a few times and although I don't believe them to be liars or anything it seems that they are using all of FBS and not the schools that are in your current position or were in your position like Marshall and Troy State etc...

Those revenue streams that are bandied about do not seem to cover the costs at schools like that.

You guys are already pretty heavily financed by student fees though so it must be a pretty good revenue stream and if you are in the position to need money it's an option.

As I've said before I won't profess to know what the committee does but some of what is in that statement just seems a bit more speculative than what has happened at other places historically.

I don't know where the articles would be but I bet that these same sorts of statements were made at Marshall & Troy when they were moving up.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2010-01-13-ncaa-athletics-subsidies_N.htm

dbackjon
September 22nd, 2011, 07:43 PM
I know that's what the studdy says skjelly. I've read it a few times and although I don't believe them to be liars or anything it seems that they are using all of FBS and not the schools that are in your current position or were in your position like Marshall and Troy State etc...

Those revenue streams that are bandied about do not seem to cover the costs at schools like that.

You guys are already pretty heavily financed by student fees though so it must be a pretty good revenue stream and if you are in the position to need money it's an option.

As I've said before I won't profess to know what the committee does but some of what is in that statement just seems a bit more speculative than what has happened at other places historically.

I don't know where the articles would be but I bet that these same sorts of statements were made at Marshall & Troy when they were moving up.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2010-01-13-ncaa-athletics-subsidies_N.htm

Great points. The conferences that App State can get into won't be big cash bonanzas. Ticket sales went down at Marshall - what will they do at ASU? Bowl games lose money. Unless App starts whoring themselves out for 3-4 paydays a year, the money doesn't add up.

Skjellyfetti
September 22nd, 2011, 08:12 PM
Unless App starts whoring themselves out for 3-4 paydays a year, the money doesn't add up.

I look forward to the committee releasing the full report... with a complete financial analysis.

But, until then (and probably after ;)) ... I think I'm going to have to take these guys' word over yours.

G.A. Sywassink (Chairman and retired CEO of Standard Holding Corporation)
Larry Stone (President and COO of Lowe’s Corporation) )
John Blackburn (President, Linville Resorts, Inc.)
Mark Harrill (President, Foscoe Companies)
Jay Howard (President, JHE Production Group)
Derek Jenkins (Senior Vice President, Target Stores)
Doug Johnson (CEO, Blue Ridge Electric Membership Corporation)
Jeffrey A. Shepard (Retired CEO, Footstar)
Tommy Sofield (CEO, U.S. Buildings)
Brad Wilson (CEO, Blue Cross & Blue Shield of North Carolina)

the committee concluded that a move to FBS would open new revenue streams to cover the costs, including increased ticket sales, corporate sponsorships, donations and funds dispersed by conferences to member institutions from television rights fees, NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament shares and the Bowl Championship Series and other bowl games.

CID1990
September 22nd, 2011, 08:13 PM
If we are making irrelevant comparisons with schools that have little in common with Appalachian, two words: Boise State

You're right.

He should have said "Marshall".

ursus arctos horribilis
September 22nd, 2011, 08:45 PM
I look forward to the committee releasing the full report... with a complete financial analysis.

But, until then (and probably after ;)) ... I think I'm going to have to take these guys' word over yours.

G.A. Sywassink (Chairman and retired CEO of Standard Holding Corporation)
Larry Stone (President and COO of Lowe’s Corporation) )
John Blackburn (President, Linville Resorts, Inc.)
Mark Harrill (President, Foscoe Companies)
Jay Howard (President, JHE Production Group)
Derek Jenkins (Senior Vice President, Target Stores)
Doug Johnson (CEO, Blue Ridge Electric Membership Corporation)
Jeffrey A. Shepard (Retired CEO, Footstar)
Tommy Sofield (CEO, U.S. Buildings)
Brad Wilson (CEO, Blue Cross & Blue Shield of North Carolina)

Hell I would have no trouble believing them and think they know what they are doing for sure but it goes against what we know of schools in a similar position is all I'm saying. Once the move up occurs then it's easy to see how they can say "well these were unforseen circumstances" and so forth.

It's not like they are gonna be at any personal risk on this but if they are pledging money in donations and so forth then it would definitely ease the move for you guys.

It's really odd to me though to see you putting this much stock into what Corporate types are saying as if it were infallable. Seems out of character.:D

asumike83
September 22nd, 2011, 08:50 PM
You're right.

He should have said "Marshall".

Yes, which is why Marshall was discussed at length in this thread immediately following that comment. In my opinion, the current state of Marshall football is attributed to not being able to find a capable coach to succeed Bob Pruett. They had a ton of success after moving up, then began to falter after he left. As already stated above, the key to our success when/if we make the move will be who succeeds Jerry Moore and will likely be a hire that decides Charlie Cobb's future as well the immediate future our football program. If we win 64 games in our first 6 years as an FBS program like Marshall did, I highly doubt there will be too many people questioning our decision. A bad head coach hiring can set any program back, regardless of where you play. The mistake made in Huntington was not moving to 1-A, it was hiring Mark Snyder.

tractorapp
September 22nd, 2011, 08:53 PM
Exactly MAC < C-USA. Simple as that.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 22nd, 2011, 09:09 PM
Yes, which is why Marshall was discussed at length in this thread immediately following that comment. In my opinion, the current state of Marshall football is attributed to not being able to find a capable coach to succeed Bob Pruett. They had a ton of success after moving up, then began to falter after he left. As already stated above, the key to our success when/if we make the move will be who succeeds Jerry Moore and will likely be a hire that decides Charlie Cobb's future as well the immediate future our football program. If we win 64 games in our first 6 years as an FBS program like Marshall did, I highly doubt there will be too many people questioning our decision. A bad head coach hiring can set any program back, regardless of where you play. The mistake made in Huntington was not moving to 1-A, it was hiring Mark Snyder.

Could be some of it but I think it's a whole lot more likely that move to CUSA is what caused the record change. The level of talent and the coaching would have kept them winning in the MAC.

I don't get why you keep touting that record which is primarily against MAC when you have the apples to apples #'s from Marshall in the conference most seem to want to be in from the App side.

Saint3333
September 22nd, 2011, 09:14 PM
I surprised at how many green eyed monsters reside in Travelers Rest.

asumike83
September 22nd, 2011, 09:30 PM
Could be some of it but I think it's a whole lot more likely that move to CUSA is what caused the record change. The level of talent and the coaching would have kept them winning in the MAC.

I don't get why you keep touting that record which is primarily against MAC when you have the apples to apples #'s from Marshall in the conference most seem to want to be in from the App side.

Ha, I wouldn't say I'm touting them. For the record, I hate Marshall.

As for the MAC/C-USA move, it certainly had something to do with it. However, the first year of the Mark Snyder era was also the first year they were in C-USA so it's hard to tell how those Pruett-coached teams would have done, but they had some very impressive teams under Pruett that I don't think would have had any trouble winning games in C-USA. Their '98, '99, '01 and '02 teams would have done great in any non-BCS conference. They beat C-USA teams in their bowl games in '01 (ECU) and '02 (Louisville). I know that one bowl game is no substitute for a full C-USA schedule, but I think it is reasonable to believe they would have been just fine seeing that they put a 23-point beating a 7-win C-USA team on a neutral field.

I am not saying that moving to C-USA did not step up their level in competition but I do think Mark Snyder was a terrible hire and a big reason they have not adjusted.

That being said, no two football programs, fans or administrations are the same and there may be no correlation at all between their level of success and ours. Also, I think I might puke if I say anything else remotely positive about Marshall. Go App.

Skjellyfetti
September 22nd, 2011, 11:58 PM
It's really odd to me though to see you putting this much stock into what Corporate types are saying as if it were infallable. Seems out of character.:D

Weak.

SoCon48
September 23rd, 2011, 07:33 AM

ASU is going to have to fork over three times as much money as they are now for Jerry and Co in order to attract a better coach than Marshall's. That means that they will have to balance that expense for the women's sports per Title IX.

Saint3333
September 23rd, 2011, 07:57 AM
Coaches salaries don't have even between men and women.

Apphole
September 23rd, 2011, 08:15 AM
Title 9 is bull ****. Unless they're naked, I'm not watching women's sports

henfan
September 23rd, 2011, 08:42 AM
It's weird that Marshall moved up and then had trouble finding a good coach to keep it going. I am sure that this was a big issue but why couldn't they attract a coach at least at the level of Pruett?

There's probably a direct correlation to be made between MU's lack of competitiveness and getting caught cheating (again!)

Speaking of Pruett, he should run for President in 2012 on a campaign of job creation. Lord knows he created a lot of janitorial jobs for his players.

SpeedkingATL
September 23rd, 2011, 09:25 AM
I rather just focus on trying to win the SoCon and make the playoffs this year an not see any more "announcements" until there is actually something to announce. If the BCS "Superconferences" actually get formed then all but those 64 teams will be shut out of the big money TV contracts and BCS bowls anyway leaving the MAC, Sunbelch, CUSA, and what's left of the Big East and Big 12 in a state of FBS limbo anyway.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 23rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
Weak.

I'm sure it is to you skjelly. You are a pretty humorless dude and can't see that I was just poking a little fun at ya huh?

Jesus christ man lighten up a little.

Skjellyfetti
September 23rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
xlolx

You seem like the one lashing out to me. xcoffeex

AshevilleApp2
September 23rd, 2011, 10:31 AM
Why do we keep beating this horse to death? Enjoy the season we have and quit speculating about the future.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 23rd, 2011, 10:36 AM
xlolx

You seem like the one lashing out to me. xcoffeex

Well at least you laughing now, and I was because you hurt my feelings.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 23rd, 2011, 10:37 AM
Why do we keep beating this horse to death? Enjoy the season we have and quit speculating about the future.

AA that is good advice and by virtue of that fact alone there will be no takers.:)

ASUMountaineer
September 23rd, 2011, 12:47 PM
AA that is good advice and by virtue of that fact alone there will be no takers.:)

Nonsense, I'm sure those entrenched in their position will have a change of heart based on what a bunch of RUBES (myself included) on a message board opine.

xwhistlex xlolx

SoCon48
September 23rd, 2011, 12:50 PM

I agree.

SoCon48
September 23rd, 2011, 12:54 PM
Coaches salaries don't have even between men and women.

True, but the gross funding itself has to balance even though specific salaries are not compared.

superman7515
September 23rd, 2011, 01:00 PM
True, but the gross funding itself has to balance even though specific salaries are not compared.

No it doesn't.

Prong one - Providing athletic participation opportunities that are substantially proportionate to the student enrollment, OR
Prong two - Demonstrate a continual expansion of athletic opportunities for the underrepresented sex, OR
Prong three - Full and effective accommodation of the interest and ability of underrepresented sex.

Skjellyfetti
September 23rd, 2011, 01:02 PM
Q. Does Title IX require that equal dollars be spent on men and women's sports?

No. The only provision that requires that the same dollars be spent proportional to participation is scholarships. Otherwise, male and female student-athletes must receive equitable "treatment" and "benefits."

Q. Why does Title IX not require the same amount be spent on men and women's sports?

The Javits Amendment stated that legitimate and justifiable discrepancies for nongender related differences in sports could be taken into account (i.e., the differing costs of equipment or event management expenditures). A male football player needs protective equipment such as pads and a helmet, and a female soccer player needs shin guards. Title IX does allow for a discrepancy in the cost of the equipment as long as both the football and soccer player received the same quality of equipment. However, a female ice hockey player must receive the same protective equipment that a male ice hockey player would receive, inasmuch as the protective equipment is the same.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/About+The+NCAA/Diversity+and+Inclusion/Gender+Equity+and+Title+IX/faq.html

carney2
September 23rd, 2011, 02:37 PM
Delusions of grandeur.

Skjellyfetti
September 23rd, 2011, 07:34 PM
Appalachian State University trustees voted today to follow a feasibility study committee's recommendation and seek to move the university's football team to the Football Bowl Subdivision, a university spokeswoman said.

The vote was 9-1, with board member Bradley Adcock casting the "no" vote. Three board members were absent.

The board adopted a resolution thanking the committee and asking the university's Executive Committee to work with Chancellor Ken Peacock and other administrators to evaluate opportunities to move to the Football Bowl Subdivision and bring a recommendation for action to the trustees.

Last month, the feasibility study committee recommended the move.

The board of trustees' meeting was held in Washington, D.C., where trustees toured ASU's entry in the Solar Decathlon.

The board is traveling back to North Carolina by bus. Adcock could not be immediately reached.

All of the Mountaineers' sports teams are at the Division I level, but the football program competes in the Football Championship Subdivision of Division I, which offers fewer scholarships than the Football Bowl Subdivision.

The football team has won three national championships over the past six years. G.A. Sywassink, who was both chairman of the study committee and a trustee who voted for the move, said the committee is convinced the football program can remain competitive if it goes to the Football Bowl Subdivision.

http://www2.journalnow.com/news/2011/sep/23/asu-trustees-approve-football-conference-move-ar-1425826/

SoCon48
September 23rd, 2011, 08:37 PM
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/About+The+NCAA/Diversity+and+Inclusion/Gender+Equity+and+Title+IX/faq.html

Thanks for clearing that up

Accelerati Incredibilus
September 23rd, 2011, 09:59 PM
Cheers ;)

There are three distinct levels in FBS. Level one being the BCS schools, level two the Mountain West, CUSA and the soon to be remains of the Big East and Big 12, level three the MAC, Sunbelt, WAC and what appears to be a new east coast conference. An overwhelming majority of ASU fans understand the Apps are destined for that third level for the time being. Nothing wrong with learning to walk before you can run. It will give ASU time to upgrade recruiting, fund raising, stadium seating capacity, coach’s salaries and budgets. This is an exciting time to be a Mountaineer, so all you naysayers and prophets of doom keep spewing your venom and we App fans will keep smiling. We know it is eating you guys up inside, but try not be so blatant about it.

Skjellyfetti
September 23rd, 2011, 10:44 PM
The only thing that seems certain about college football's changing landscape is that nothing is certain.

And that certainly applies to Appalachian State, which has expressed interest in a possible move to the NCAA's bowl subdivision. ASU officials are waiting to see what happens as top-tier BCS conferences scramble for security with expansion, a process that has and will trigger openings.

For Appalachian State to move to the FBS — which a study committee has recommended — it needs a place to move. Where that might be is anybody's guess and most likely will depend on what happens elsewhere.

"I think it's realistic to say we can't really drive conversations (about where to move)," said Charlie Cobb, ASU's athletics director. "We're not in that position. I don't think Appalachian and a number of schools are at the stage where we can control that conversation."

Cobb said he is being "actively patient" in the process.

"I still think it's early," he said. "The BCS schools are still trying to figure it out. That has to play out, and then the trickle-down that comes from it is where other schools are going to land.

"We feel good that we've done our homework. The athletic world is changing, and we feel we are in position to be able to react to that in a strategic way."

The most recent shifts are the moves of Pittsburgh and Syracuse from the Big East to the ACC. The Big East could lose more teams and turn to other conferences to fill vacancies, and East Carolina applied Wednesday.

Cobb has said that ASU needs historical and geographical rivals in any conference to which it might move, and ECU and Marshall fit the bill. But it's possible that at least one of those schools could be part of a conference that ASU wouldn't be invited to.

Cobb said that ASU hasn't formally applied to any conferences but added, "We're having conversations. Some weeks you have multiple conversations, and some weeks you may have one."

Future conversations will depend largely on what happens next.

"Will there still be existing FBS conferences and FBS schools that are looking to create more of a regional alignment?" Cobb said. "For us in that next flight of schools, we've said from Day 1 that we've got to base any kind of repositioning on geography, to make sure kids don't miss class time and to make sure that fans can get to games that they want to watch."

The possibility has long been posed of a new alignment of regional schools in a conference that could include some existing FBS programs, perhaps from C-USA — possibly ECU if it doesn't get into the Big East — or the MAC or Sun Belt. Other schools that have at least expressed interest in going to the bowl subdivision include ASU, Delaware, James Madison and the new program at UNC Charlotte.

"There are several schools — from the standpoint of having the potential to create strong rivalries, to create games of interest not only in football but basketball and other sports — that I think lend to some tremendous opportunities," Cobb said.

"We have to let the dust settle … and see if there is a grouping of schools that are better off together than we are trying to go our separate ways."

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2011/sep/23/wssport06-appalachian-state-studying-shifting-land-ar-1421640/

alvinkayak6
September 24th, 2011, 12:40 AM
We know it is eating you guys up inside, but try not be so blatant about it.

Oh, get off your high horse. Nobody is going to be jealous when App's best possible year is in the New Orleans Bowl. We're just disappointed in how delusional people are about Boone football. You are a SOCON school, and there is pride in that. You think Marshall is in some privileged spot right now? They're less relevant then ever.

CID1990
September 24th, 2011, 02:03 AM
I wish ASU the best if they go up. Personally, as a former ASU fan (when i was in high school before i went to El Cid) i like where ASU is right now. As a Bulldog fan, I also like ASU being in the SoCon. However, if ASU left for FBS, i would hope they would take GSU with them and the SoCon replace them with Richmond and W&M. The socon might well be better off in the long run.

Skjellyfetti
September 24th, 2011, 07:51 AM
You think Marshall is in some privileged spot right now? They're less relevant then ever.

You think Marshall is clamoring to rejoin the SoCon? Do you think ANY FBS school is at all interested in dropping down to the SoCon? Why is that? xcoffeex

As irrelevant as you think Marshall is... they are HOSTING Virginia Tech today.... the kinds of games App would NEVER be able to have at the FCS level.

youwouldno
September 24th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Plenty of fans, particularly casual ones, would rather lose in FBS than win in FCS. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

App is certainly capable of being a solid mid-major FBS, in time. But the odds are that, once in FBS, App will never play a meaningful post-season game ever again. For the program itself, that doesn't necessarily matter, but it does deprive fans of excitement at the end of the season.

Then again, who knows what college football will look like down the road. And as I've noted, there's nowhere for App to go right now anyway. As Cobb says, they can't do much other than wait and hope.

Drblankstare
September 24th, 2011, 10:01 AM
IMO, This will eventually shake out with the 4 superconfernces, being considered major college football. The rest of the FBS will be considered a lower level of football and wont be allowed to play with any of the big boys toys. Much like it is now anyway. This move by App is there's to make, if it makes sense to them, then godspeed. But they can go undefeated and have a crap bowl game as a thank you.

B&G
September 24th, 2011, 10:58 AM
OK, how about Joe Idiot in Los Angeles??

Arkansas State... because they are in the NCAA video game by EA Sports. App's all-time leading rusher chose to go to the school because he liked their uniforms on the video game back when they actually included the FCS schools.