PDA

View Full Version : Turmoil In FBS Conferences Catches CAA's Attention

superman7515
September 22nd, 2011, 06:52 AM
Moves May Bring Some 'Trickle-Down' To FCS (http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110922/SPORTS07/109220343/Turmoil-FBS-conferences-catches-CAA-s-attention?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Home|s)

NEWARK -- While the highest echelon of college athletics is roiled by conference defections and additions, University of Delaware and Colonial Athletic Association officials remain unmoved but on alert.

Texas A&M's pending switch from the Big 12 to the Southeastern Conference is big. Syracuse and Pittsburgh's move from the Big East to the Atlantic Coast Conference likely will have numerous aftershocks.

"Everyone believes there may be some trickle-down," said Tom Yeager, commissioner of the Colonial Athletic Association, of which Delaware is one of 12 full members. "To what extent, no one really knows."

Delaware is a Division I school that competes in the NCAA's Football Championship Subdivision (FCS). Football is the only sport in which Division I is broken into two subdivisions.

"I feel good about where we are," Delaware athletic director Bernard Muir said. "I know in order to continue to compete at the highest level within the FCS and across the board in all of our programs, we've got to do a greater investment."...

Probably the more interesting part...

"They didn't build that thing to stay where they're at," Keeler said of JMU's expansion of Bridgeforth Stadium, "and Old Dominion is saying, 'We just started this thing and look how far we are. Imagine if we put even more resources into it.'

"I think we just need to be really conscious of what's going on around us."

Muir said he feels the FCS offers an ideal competitive level and has a strong future.

"Institutions are making commitments to sponsor FCS football at a significant level," he said. "Football's pretty important and will remain pretty important. I don't see [the FCS] going away. I could see in the future, especially some schools in the non-BCS automatic qualifier conferences, having difficult issues to wrestle with because the financial outlay is pretty significant in order to compete at the top end."

Keeler concurred, saying he wouldn't be surprised if some FBS schools begin to consider a move down to the FCS, where schools have a 63-scholarship maximum instead of the FBS' 85, to cut costs.

"I don't think it means Delaware has to move to I-A," Keeler said. "I think what we have to do is continue to evaluate the landscape."

BlueHenSinfonian
September 22nd, 2011, 11:39 AM
I'm disappointed that we aren't even fielding a feasibility study for a potential FBS move. UD has a loyal fanbase, a winning tradition, and much more money than many of the schools that are considering the move. Keeler has made comments in the past that he could see UD in a FBS setting, so the comments in this article seem a bit at odds. I wonder if someone from higher up gave him the talking points he was expected to hit...

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2011, 11:51 AM
The interest on a billion dollars has got to cover like 10 FBS teams, or ohio state.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 22nd, 2011, 12:24 PM
The interest on a billion dollars has got to cover like 10 FBS teams, or ohio state.

UD has a lot of very expensive projects going on right now. There is an enormous (194,000 sq feet) new interdisciplinary science and engineering research lab building built, an entire new business and technology campus being built on the 272 acre former Chrysler plant site across the street from the stadium, a major addition to the Bob Carpenter Center (basketball arena) with new training facilities for athletes and the general student body, plus a lot of green energy stuff going on at various places around campus. President Harker has stated that he doesn't want to fund athletics at the expense of academics, and I agree with him there - UD shouldn't be a school where the athletics tail wags the dog, ala Alabama or Penn State.

At the same time, our fan base, while loyal, is getting older. There are students at UD now who care more about regional BCS and pro sports than UD athletics. UD draws a lot of students from NY, PA, and NJ. Membership in a conference like the Big East would probably get their attention more than the increasingly VA-centric CAA. (not that the Big East is offering, but it should be something we are actively pursuing IMO). It's vitally important to get the current students and recent alumni as interested in UD athletics as the old timers are. I don't want to see us become the next WKU, but I don't want us to become the next YSU or EKU.

Delaware also has plenty of incredibly wealthy corporations and families to hit up for money if needed, like the DuPonts and Gores. UD could be in a great position to move to FBS football - the powers that be just have to want to do it.

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2011, 12:29 PM
Any patent lawyers out there? I want to file a trademark/copyright application on behalf of FCS to secure exclusive rights to use the name, "College Football." I think we're entitled to it.

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
UD has a lot of very expensive projects going on right now. There is an enormous (194,000 sq feet) new interdisciplinary science and engineering research lab building built, a law school being started, an entire new business and technology campus being built on the 272 acre former Chrysler plant site across the street from the stadium, a major addition to the Bob Carpenter Center (basketball arena) with new training facilities for athletes and the general student body, plus a lot of green energy stuff going on at various places around campus. President Harker has stated that he doesn't want to fund athletics at the expense of academics, and I agree with him there - UD shouldn't be a school where the athletics tail wags the dog, ala Alabama or Penn State.

At the same time, our fan base, while loyal, is getting older. There are students at UD now who care more about regional BCS and pro sports than UD athletics. UD draws a lot of students from NY, PA, and NJ. Membership in a conference like the Big East would probably get their attention more than the increasingly VA-centric CAA. (not that the Big East is offering, but it should be something we are actively pursuing IMO). It's vitally important to get the current students and recent alumni as interested in UD athletics as the old timers are. I don't want to see us become the next WKU, but I don't want us to become the next YSU or EKU.

Delaware also has plenty of incredibly wealthy corporations and families to hit up for money if needed, like the DuPonts and Gores. UD could be in a great position to move to FBS football - the powers that be just have to want to do it.

Delaware is what Rutgers desperately wishes it could be. I kid you not.

Pard4Life
September 22nd, 2011, 12:33 PM
Which is why the current NJ governor attended UD.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 22nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Any patent lawyers out there? I want to file a trademark/copyright application on behalf of FCS to secure exclusive rights to use the name, "College Football." I think we're entitled to it.

Totally agree.

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM

Wouldn't that just be a civil lawyer? CAS Could probably help you out :P. He would want some of your psudeo ivy ching im sure. :P

OhioHen
September 22nd, 2011, 01:20 PM
Delaware is what Rutgers desperately wishes it could be. I kid you not.

Rutgers was know as a fall-back school for students from New Jersey who couldn't get into Delaware 30 years ago when I started at UD. Some things never change.

alvinkayak6
September 22nd, 2011, 05:21 PM

it's a bad time to invest $30,000 into a patent right now, especially since the entire field of patents has come under scrutiny lately. some legal challenges tooxcoffeex

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
Wouldn't that just be a civil lawyer? CAS Could probably help you out :P. He would want some of your psudeo ivy ching im sure. :P

Actually, not even pseudo, but that's a story for another day. Let's just point out that you spelled "pseudo" incorrectly, and leave it at that, mm-kay?

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2011, 05:34 PM
Which is why the current NJ governor attended UD.

That he did. Graduate degree from good ol' Seton Hall, too. He probably drives out of his way to avoid Pitsactaway even to this day. Won't even let his helicopter fly over the place.

Tribe4SF
September 22nd, 2011, 09:15 PM
Rational thoughts from Muir and Keeler. The disparity between schools in the super conferences and those in the rest of FBS is likely to grow, and I agree that we may well see schools dropping down to FCS as a result.

alvinkayak6
September 22nd, 2011, 10:14 PM
Tribe,

The impact of superconferences upon the FCS is yet to be seen. In general, it seems the growth of college football has trickled down to even the D-I FCS. Football is more popular than ever.

The biggest impact is really on schools like Baylor which are CURRENTLY in BCS conferences but threatened to be out of them if there is movement.

Dane96
September 22nd, 2011, 11:42 PM
it's a bad time to invest $30,000 into a patent right now, especially since the entire field of patents has come under scrutiny lately. some legal challenges tooxcoffeex

Well, if that is your assessment, I am glad you are not in the IP legal industry.

Dane96
September 22nd, 2011, 11:43 PM

Got two on staff.

But alas, you cannot Trademark (not Patent) "College Football" at this time. Would likely fail the majority of TM and C tests.

Dane96
September 22nd, 2011, 11:44 PM
Actually, not even pseudo, but that's a story for another day. Let's just point out that you spelled "pseudo" incorrectly, and leave it at that, mm-kay?

xlolxxbowx

alvinkayak6
September 23rd, 2011, 12:03 AM
Well, if that is your assessment, I am glad you are not in the IP legal industry.

Overlooking the brazen assumption that I am not in the IP legal industry, enlighten me as to why this is a heartening fact.

AppMan
September 23rd, 2011, 07:16 AM
"I don't think it means Delaware has to move to I-A," Keeler said. "I think what we have to do is continue to evaluate the landscape." "I think we just need to be really conscious of what's going on around us."

Keeler concurred, saying he wouldn't be surprised if some FBS schools begin to consider a move down to the FCS, where schools have a 63-scholarship maximum instead of the FBS' 85, to cut costs.

Is it just me, or do these two statements sound a bit contradictory?

Muir said he feels the FCS offers an ideal competitive level and has a strong future. "Institutions are making commitments to sponsor FCS football at a significant level," he said. "Football's pretty important and will remain pretty important. I don't see [the FCS] going away. I could see in the future, especially some schools in the non-BCS automatic qualifier conferences, having difficult issues to wrestle with because the financial outlay is pretty significant in order to compete at the top end."

FCS won't go away, but the more likely scenario has a third level forming just above FCS that encompasses the better FCS and lower level FBS programs. FCS will be an amalgamation of private schools and mid size regional public institutions.

fc97
September 23rd, 2011, 07:29 AM
FCS won't go away, but the more likely scenario has a third level forming just above FCS that encompasses the better FCS and lower level FBS programs. FCS will be an amalgamation of private schools and mid size regional public institutions.

i don't see that. i see a more likely combination happening. full scholarship fcs and the outside the bcs schools form the division. the would be big sky, southern, colonial, missouri valley, ohio valley, southland meac, swac and probably liberty, coastal, gardner-webb, stony brook, fordham. they are already at the maximum scholarships. there are fbs schools that will want to offer less to stay there and that will allow a merger of the full scholarship fcs with the rest of fbs. it'll end up with a range of schools both small, medium and large that can afford to play, not based on private or size.

the ones that don't conform will be in the third area like the pioneer, ivy, patriot, nec, some of the swac, meac and big south.

bcs is going to be off on an island in their super conferences. the top and number of fcs schools and presidents will be able to outvote and influence the decision of how the second tier will shape.

WestCoastAggie
September 23rd, 2011, 07:30 AM
Did Delaware play teams like West Virginia, Maryland, Rutgers on a regular basis back in the day?

Was Delaware ever invited to join the Big East when the conference first formed?

DFW HOYA
September 23rd, 2011, 08:35 AM
Was Delaware ever invited to join the Big East when the conference first formed?

No.

The founding members of the Big East were Georgetown, Syracuse, Providence, and St. John's. The schools invited to join were UConn (accepted), Holy Cross (declined), BC (accepted), Rutgers (declined) and Seton Hall (invited after Rutgers declined). Villanova joined a year later.

superman7515
September 23rd, 2011, 08:37 AM
Did Delaware play teams like West Virginia, Maryland, Rutgers on a regular basis back in the day?

Played Temple & Rutgers quite a bit, very few times against Maryland (the game a couple of years ago was the first since the 40's), it was mostly Navy since the 80's, and never West Virginia. I doubt they ever had any sort of invite, the Big East started as a basketball conference and for most of the schools existence (exception of the Mike Brey years), basketball has been completely irrelevant.

Dane96
September 23rd, 2011, 08:41 AM
Overlooking the brazen assumption that I am not in the IP legal industry, enlighten me as to why this is a heartening fact.

Because I am in the IP Legal industry...and your statement is extremely broad without any confined barriers. There are legal challenges everyday to patents, heck we have about 30 against my corporation right now. There is an increase in patent filings over the last few years as a competive tool in business especially in IT and Government Procurement. Finally, the government has made the patent process quicker to go through (e.g. less than 6 months) with less challenges likely levied post-prosecution.

Apologies for my presumptious brashness....

GannonFan
September 23rd, 2011, 08:50 AM
UD has a lot of very expensive projects going on right now. There is an enormous (194,000 sq feet) new interdisciplinary science and engineering research lab building built, an entire new business and technology campus being built on the 272 acre former Chrysler plant site across the street from the stadium, a major addition to the Bob Carpenter Center (basketball arena) with new training facilities for athletes and the general student body, plus a lot of green energy stuff going on at various places around campus. President Harker has stated that he doesn't want to fund athletics at the expense of academics, and I agree with him there - UD shouldn't be a school where the athletics tail wags the dog, ala Alabama or Penn State.

I don't buy this idea that UD's fanbase is getting older. The fanbase was old back in the 70's - if it was getting older they'd all be dead by now. And yet the fanbase has increased in size. Sure there are plenty of old people at UD games - but they also tend to be grandparents, and grandparents have kids and their kids have kids. My parents had two season tickets in the late 60's - we're at 16 season tickets now with the multiple generations attending games. UD's never been a fanbase based on student support - sure there are 1k to 3k students there at any one game, but plenty of the other 20k come from people that may have little to no affiliation to the University, past or present. The atmosphere is what keeps people coming back year after year. Not a diploma.

GannonFan
September 23rd, 2011, 08:54 AM
"I don't think it means Delaware has to move to I-A," Keeler said. "I think what we have to do is continue to evaluate the landscape." "I think we just need to be really conscious of what's going on around us."

Is it just me, or do these two statements sound a bit contradictory?

Muir said he feels the FCS offers an ideal competitive level and has a strong future. "Institutions are making commitments to sponsor FCS football at a significant level," he said. "Football's pretty important and will remain pretty important. I don't see [the FCS] going away. I could see in the future, especially some schools in the non-BCS automatic qualifier conferences, having difficult issues to wrestle with because the financial outlay is pretty significant in order to compete at the top end."

I think that's what they are saying - the superconferences will eventually form, and frankly, there's already that separation anyway. The BCS conferences that aren't falling apart (the Big Ten, SEC, ACC, and Pac-12) are rich beyond belief compared to the weak FBS conferences (CUSA, MAC, Sun Belt, Big East, etc). Maybe that separation will just be more formal in the future. The reality is that the weak FBS conferences aren't any different from the top of the FCS today. I don't see anything in UD's stance that says they won't be part of that grouping going forward. Actually, it ties in nicely with the idea that the CAA could move as a group into that level when it's formed.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 23rd, 2011, 12:24 PM
I think that's what they are saying - the superconferences will eventually form, and frankly, there's already that separation anyway. The BCS conferences that aren't falling apart (the Big Ten, SEC, ACC, and Pac-12) are rich beyond belief compared to the weak FBS conferences (CUSA, MAC, Sun Belt, Big East, etc). Maybe that separation will just be more formal in the future. The reality is that the weak FBS conferences aren't any different from the top of the FCS today. I don't see anything in UD's stance that says they won't be part of that grouping going forward. Actually, it ties in nicely with the idea that the CAA could move as a group into that level when it's formed.

Couldn't agree more and good to see ya GF.