PDA

View Full Version : Playing Western Carolina...

The Eagle's Cliff
September 20th, 2011, 12:52 PM
...Always makes me think of my 2008 trip to Cullowhee. With another less than mediocre Ga Southern "Hatch Attack" team, the Eagles found themselves down 31-3 in the 4th quarter. The Cats thought they had finally beaten Ga Southern for the first time since 1994 and second time in the modern era. Poor Cats.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqGpzg8Cdg&feature=player_detailpage

The Eagle's Cliff
September 20th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Bump....heeeere kitty, kitty:D

The Cats
September 21st, 2011, 10:37 AM
It won't happen like that this year.

This is the year the Cats knock off #1 and GSU in Statesboro. We get a lot of monkeys off our back.

eaglemachine
September 21st, 2011, 10:42 AM

This is the year the Cats knock off #1 and GSU in Statesboro. We get a lot of monkeys off our back.

If you can't defend against Tech's option....you will not be able to defend against ours especially with the new formations.

ElonFirefighter
September 21st, 2011, 10:48 AM
Reminds me of silvester and tweety, No matter how hard he tried the cat never cought the bird

alvinkayak6
September 21st, 2011, 10:51 AM
This game will certainly tell us if Georgia Southern deserves its spot as No 1.xrolleyesx

Smitty
September 21st, 2011, 10:59 AM
If you can't defend against Tech's option....you will not be able to defend against ours especially with the new formations.

Have you seen Tech this year? Not many teams can defend against their option.

The Cats
September 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM
This game will certainly tell us if Georgia Southern deserves its spot as No 1.xrolleyesx

They don't, and even their fans know they don't.

eaglemachine
September 21st, 2011, 11:02 AM
Have you seen Tech this year? Not many teams can defend against their option.

Yes I have. Watched them destroy Kansas Saturday. You do know we run the same exact offense with a qb that can pass just as GT's Washington plus we have added shotgun and wildcat formations. You may hang with us the first half after that......good luck :)

Smitty
September 21st, 2011, 11:04 AM
Yes I have. Watched them destroy Kansas Saturday. You do know we run the same exact offense with a qb that can pass just as GT's Washington plus we have added shotgun and wildcat formations....good luck :)

You may hang with us the first half...

So besides WCU winning, what would Georgia Southern consider a loss?

If it was me anything over 14 points probably...

eaglemachine
September 21st, 2011, 11:04 AM

Agreed. I think we are over ranked.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 21st, 2011, 11:07 AM

I won't say "Georgia Southern doesn't deserve to be #1" after 3 weeks, but I'll say that polls mean next to nothing until week 6 or 7.

I'm the kind of fan who worries about Tusculum. I feel like if the Eagles execute, there aren't many teams who will have an easy time, but we're still young enough to make too many mistakes.

eaglemachine
September 21st, 2011, 11:08 AM
So besides WCU winning, what would Georgia Southern consider a loss?

If it was me anything over 14 points probably...

Personally, I don't care if we win by one point...as long as it is a W.

With that said, most GSU I think would feel good about the defense if we could hold WCU to less that 20 points or offense wise, win by 3 TDs

Smitty
September 21st, 2011, 11:12 AM
Personally, I don't care if we win by one point...as long as it is a W.

With that said, most GSU I think would feel good about the defense if we could hold WCU to less that 20 points or offense wise, win by 3 TDs

Well I know that we will probably come away with a L but it would make me happy to make you guys sweat just a little.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2011, 11:25 AM
Coming from a fan who sat in the stands in Cullowhee and watched our top five team lay an absolute dud in 2005, strange things can happen.

While WCU didn't look good facing GT, remember that 1) Georgia Southern is not Georgia Tech and 2) the Cats have already seen, prepared for, and corrected mistakes against the option.

Smitty
September 21st, 2011, 11:29 AM
While WCU didn't look good facing GT, remember that 1) Georgia Southern is not Georgia Tech and 2) the Cats have already seen, prepared for, and hopefully* corrected mistakes against the option.

Fixed.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2011, 12:09 PM
Fixed.

The good news is, I think that game was more Georgia Tech than it was Western Carolina. The Jackets have been virtually unstoppable in 2011.

Laserlips
September 21st, 2011, 12:28 PM
This game gave me one of those priceless "special" moments when early in the 4th quarter many of the WC fans were standing and "shaking" their car keys at our Eagles....

The looks on their faces when the Western Carolina team blew a 31 point lead was, again....

PRICELESS...

Jesse

Eaglesrus
September 21st, 2011, 12:31 PM
Fixed.

Why are you making it so hard for my GA Southern brethren to kick the smack talk into high gear? Oh, yeah, this isn't the forum for that.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2011, 01:17 PM
Why are you making it so hard for my GA Southern brethren to kick the smack talk into high gear? Oh, yeah, this isn't the forum for that.

Since when is it hard to Georgia Southern fans to smack talk?! :)

ASUMountaineer
September 21st, 2011, 01:18 PM

How much $ are you willing to put down? I'm thinking many would like to take that bet.

Smitty
September 21st, 2011, 01:28 PM
How much $ are you willing to put down? I'm thinking many would like to take that bet.

I'll bet $10 as long as I get a 24 point handicap...

ASUMountaineer
September 21st, 2011, 01:31 PM
I'll bet $10 as long as I get a 24 point handicap...

Taking the points, probably a smart bet. I wonder what the line is on this game. Best of luck to you guys. I don't generally make it a point to pull for WCU, but I pull for just about anyone playing Georgia Southern.

eaglewraith
September 21st, 2011, 01:54 PM
The good news is, I think that game was more Georgia Tech than it was Western Carolina. The Jackets have been virtually unstoppable in 2011.

Western Carolina
Middle Tennessee State
Kansas

I'd wait till they face some actual competition to dub them unstoppable.

Eaglesrus
September 21st, 2011, 02:11 PM
Taking the points, probably a smart bet. I wonder what the line is on this game. Best of luck to you guys. I don't generally make it a point to pull for WCU, but I pull for just about anyone playing Georgia Southern.

I used to be able to say that about App State, but Chattownmocs has just about thrown a monkey-wrench into that idea.

SpeedkingATL
September 21st, 2011, 02:44 PM
The Cats have played App pretty tough the last 2 years and they appear to have some offensive firepower this year. If GSU limits the turnovers they probably score 50 and roll but if they turn the ball over, anything can happen (as with most teams) but with option teams it sometimes comes with the territory. I go with 47-17 Eagles.

GaSouthern
September 21st, 2011, 02:48 PM
the Cats have already seen, prepared for, and corrected mistakes against the option.

IMO the catamounts are at a disadvantage on defense after playing GT, we know what they will do to try to stop us and our offense works wonders around scheming against a defense... if we have the playmakers to use all sides of the flexbone, we don't but we are close.

ASUMountaineer
September 21st, 2011, 03:13 PM
I used to be able to say that about App State, but Chattownmocs has just about thrown a monkey-wrench into that idea.

xlolx

WCU LawCat
September 21st, 2011, 03:45 PM
...Always makes me think of my 2008 trip to Cullowhee. With another less than mediocre Ga Southern "Hatch Attack" team, the Eagles found themselves down 31-3 in the 4th quarter. The Cats thought they had finally beaten Ga Southern for the first time since 1994 and second time in the modern era. Poor Cats.....

I can't believe someone brought this back up. There are two things that make me want to scream in agony. The "jump down turn around pick a bail of cotton" play from the Furman game in 2003 and this game. It was an unbelievable game to watch.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2011, 04:13 PM
Western Carolina
Middle Tennessee State
Kansas

They put up 768 yards against Kansas. Frankly, I don't really buy the "who'd they play" argument. You put 768 yards against anybody, you got a pretty solid offense.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 21st, 2011, 05:50 PM

Not for me! Go Mocs! Go Samford!

chattownmocs
September 21st, 2011, 05:57 PM

I have seen this type of post from App State and Georgia Southern fans time and time again. You aint on Georgia Tech's level you scrubs.

The Cats
September 21st, 2011, 08:12 PM
IMO the catamounts are at a disadvantage on defense after playing GT, we know what they will do to try to stop us and our offense works wonders around scheming against a defense... if we have the playmakers to use all sides of the flexbone, we don't but we are close.

I'll bet you typed that with a straight face.

Me, I'm still laughing at your absurd correlation.

The Cats
September 21st, 2011, 08:17 PM

Like I said on another post, I know Georgia Tech, and believe me, GSU is no Georgia Tech.

You may have one of PJ's assistants, be he's no PJ either.

I-16Bandit
September 21st, 2011, 08:33 PM
They put up 768 yards against Kansas. Frankly, I don't really buy the "who'd they play" argument. You put 768 yards against anybody, you got a pretty solid offense.

Not to mention that Kansas beat them last year.

Ivytalk
September 21st, 2011, 08:45 PM
I'll say 41-19 GSU. Catamount man streaks the field at halftime, and Gus pecks his pecker.

eaglemachine
September 22nd, 2011, 07:08 AM
Like I said on another post, I know Georgia Tech, and believe me, GSU is no Georgia Tech.

You may have one of PJ's assistants, be he's no PJ either.

granted, but I want to see your defense try lining up against the flexbone under center, then 2nd down line up to defend a shotgun package then line up to defend the wildcat then try to defend a deep ball. Your defense isn't that good. They will be lost.

eaglemachine
September 22nd, 2011, 07:10 AM
I have seen this type of post from App State and Georgia Southern fans time and time again. You aint on Georgia Tech's level you scrubs.

gay

Smitty
September 22nd, 2011, 07:27 AM
granted, but I want to see your defense try lining up against the flexbone under center, then 2nd down line up to defend a shotgun package then line up to defend the wildcat then try to defend a deep ball. Your defense isn't that good. They will be lost.

Big deal every offense runs at least 2 or 3 different formations that they try to confuse the defense with. Probably for the first few touchdowns our defense will have trouble but they may start to settle down and make some plays.

cannonballgsu
September 22nd, 2011, 07:58 AM
Big deal every offense runs at least 2 or 3 different formations that they try to confuse the defense with. Probably for the first few touchdowns our defense will have trouble but they may start to settle down and make some plays.

Honestly, i think it will be the other way around. We usually get off to a slow start, but once we get things rolling we can be hard to stop.

I'm a little disappointed in our Defense so far this year - we need the intensity that we had at the end of last year. Maybe it will show up this weekend.

Eaglesrus
September 22nd, 2011, 08:06 AM
Honestly, i think it will be the other way around. We usually get off to a slow start, but once we get things rolling we can be hard to stop.

I'm a little disappointed in our Defense so far this year - we need the intensity that we had at the end of last year. Maybe it will show up this weekend.

Though I know that team's have had some success against us with the short pass, personally I wasn't a fan of holding Russell back in coverage as we did against Tusculum a good bit. I'll be curious to see how much we continue to do that.

pike51
September 22nd, 2011, 09:14 AM
Though I know that team's have had some success against us with the short pass, personally I wasn't a fan of holding Russell back in coverage as we did against Tusculum a good bit. I'll be curious to see how much we continue to do that.

This is a different defense from last year... keep in mind it's a different DC. I have a feeling we're only going to dial up the heavy pressure when we need it. I know the "bend don't break" is sometimes used to give the offenseive guys a rest (see WVU). As long as we don't give up the big play (like we did against Tusculum) we're just fine. Think about it... once they got to the 40, they couldn't go anywhere... same thing with Samford. Just gotta keep the big play in check and we're fine.

Eaglesrus
September 22nd, 2011, 09:35 AM
This is a different defense from last year... keep in mind it's a different DC. I have a feeling we're only going to dial up the heavy pressure when we need it. I know the "bend don't break" is sometimes used to give the offenseive guys a rest (see WVU). As long as we don't give up the big play (like we did against Tusculum) we're just fine. Think about it... once they got to the 40, they couldn't go anywhere... same thing with Samford. Just gotta keep the big play in check and we're fine.

I have definitely kept that in mind, and I'm hoping that he'll do as well as the last one we had.

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2011, 02:04 PM

Last season Furman ran about 14 different formations a game. Didn't really matter. The idea is tackle the man with the football. I don't care where your quarterback is standing.

Furman has had pretty respectable success against the triple option the last 10 years or so (compared to most teams). I think one reason for that success is it appears that the Paladins defense generally takes the approach of hitting the quarterback on every play (obviously, within the rules). If he takes the ball around the end, he needs to understand someone is going to put him on his back.

That aside, I earned a lot of respect for Jaybo Shaw in the 2010 game. That guy took a beating back there (I think he fumbled four or five times), but he kept getting up and led the team in the fourth quarter. Tough kid.

alvinkayak6
September 22nd, 2011, 05:30 PM
My question is if the triple option can actually win a national title in the year 2011. It'll be interesting to see. I still prefer Richmond at #1 right now.

Reign of Terrier
September 22nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
Western Carolina
Middle Tennessee State
Kansas

They're executing better than they ever have though, you can't really talk down to hanging 700 yards on the ground, especially an FBS opponent. Tech will be better this year on offense than they ever have in the Paul Johnson era IMO They just have so much speed...and the receivers block so well down field

Reign of Terrier
September 22nd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Not for me! Go Mocs! Go Samford!

d'awwww :(

CropDuster
September 22nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
My question is if the triple option can actually win a national title in the year 2011. It'll be interesting to see. I still prefer Richmond at #1 right now.

It worked in 85 & 86 and again 5 years later in 89 & 90 and again ten years later in 99 & 2000 and almost in 2010. But I'm sure it's all figured out now.

GaSouthern
September 22nd, 2011, 09:30 PM
It worked in 85 & 86 and again 5 years later in 89 & 90 and again ten years later in 99 & 2000 and almost in 2010. But I'm sure it's all figured out now.

Actually I think Kansas just figured out how to stop it so the jig is up.

CC Eagle
September 22nd, 2011, 11:02 PM
Actually I think Kansas just figured out how to stop it so the jig is up.

I suppose GSU and GT opponents could always just study the film of last week's game and try out whatever the exact opposite of Kansas's strategy was.

SoCon48
September 23rd, 2011, 07:25 AM
Bump....heeeere kitty, kitty:D

The "Do right rule" in your signature was first made famous by Frank Howard of Clemson.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 23rd, 2011, 07:41 AM
The "Do right rule" in your signature was first made famous by Frank Howard of Clemson.

Never heard that. They were both from early 20th Century Alabama so maybe it was a common saying. In my signature, I'm quoting the actual 2 rules that Erk had for his teams.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2011, 09:24 AM
Never heard that. They were both from early 20th Century Alabama so maybe it was a common saying. In my signature, I'm quoting the actual 2 rules that Erk had for his teams.

I'm pretty sure you can probably trace the idea of "doing right" back farther than Erk Russel or Frank Howard.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 23rd, 2011, 01:32 PM
I'm pretty sure you can probably trace the idea of "doing right" back farther than Erk Russel or Frank Howard.

Of Course you're right.

What I think is unique to Erk, however, is that there was never a rule book for his teams. He simply said that off the field, a player is expected to do right. On the field, he is expected to GATA. Sometimes, a player would have special meetings with Coach Russell at 6am for further explanation of what doing right meant. For me, it reflects his simple approach to football and life that endeared him to all who knew him.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2011, 02:14 PM
Of Course you're right.

What I think is unique to Erk, however, is that there was never a rule book for his teams. He simply said that off the field, a player is expected to do right. On the field, he is expected to GATA. Sometimes, a player would have special meetings with Coach Russell at 6am for further explanation of what doing right meant. For me, it reflects his simple approach to football and life that endeared him to all who knew him.

You don't have to convince me. I loved the guy and I didn't even pull for his teams. Anyone that headbutts his players without a helmet gets my respect, no questions asked.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 23rd, 2011, 03:44 PM
This game will be closer than a lot of GSU fans think. Also, GSU's defense is better than it looks on paper and our offense isn't as good as it looks on paper. It's not going to be a shootout.

Smitty
September 23rd, 2011, 03:47 PM
If anything be prepared to see a high score from both teams... (hopefully)

The Eagle's Cliff
September 23rd, 2011, 05:01 PM
I'm concerned with the short passing game. We gave Samford receivers too much cushion. What I saw at practice this week with the defense makes me feel a bit better. So far, Coach Curtis doesn't appear to gamble with blitzes as much as Coach Pry did last year. We'll see how it plays out. I love this part of the season because everyone is still "seeing what they've got" after all the practice and two or three OOC games.

Are any of you WCU guys making the trip?

SpiritCymbal
September 23rd, 2011, 06:04 PM

Not talking smack here...I heard that WCU hasn't beaten a ranked opponent on the road since '84. Is that correct?

Smitty
September 23rd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Not talking smack here...I heard that WCU hasn't beaten a ranked opponent on the road since '84. Is that correct?

Nah I think we beat EKU a few years back. I think they were ranked 24th or something...

As for making the trip unfortunately not, got a wedding and a birthday this weekend.

SoCon48
September 23rd, 2011, 08:32 PM

Frank Howard said we don't need a list of rules to go by. Instead there is one rule--the do right rule.