View Full Version : SDSU starting QB O'Brien quits team

DJKyR0
September 19th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Per Terrry Vandrovec of the Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20110919/UPDATES/110919059/Quarterback-Thomas-O-Brien-quits-SDSU-football-team?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

This has to sting for Jacks fans despite his recent play. O'Brien was the one who led the Jacks to the FCS playoffs in 2009, making them the first Dakota school to do so.

No_Skill
September 19th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Sounds like a case of sour grapes. Anyone with inside info?

Jacked_Rabbit
September 19th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I feel bad for the kid... He was getting scritinized like SDSU was Notre Dame or something. Hope everything works out well for him in the future.

DJKyR0
September 19th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Sounds like a case of sour grapes. Anyone with inside info?

Not exactly "inside" but after throwing his third and fourth pick-sixes of the season against Cal Poly and making bad decisions all game (Vandrovec references sliding at the 1 rather than trying for the score), coaches must have said something to him along the lines of "we're trying someone else." Backup Austin Sumner holds just about every South Dakota high school passer record in existence, so one has to think he has some promise but still, an emotional loss and another bad turn for a down-on-its-luck Jacks team.

bojeta
September 19th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Ya.. I was sitting on the 5 yard line when he dropped at the 1 with no timeouts left. Then they can't get the snap off in time!! As excited as I was to see the Mustangs rolling, I have to admit I felt bad for him on that one.

Jacked_Rabbit
September 19th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Not exactly "inside" but after throwing his third and fourth pick-sixes of the season against Cal Poly and making bad decisions all game (Vandrovec references sliding at the 1 rather than trying for the score), coaches must have said something to him along the lines of "we're trying someone else." Backup Austin Sumner holds just about every South Dakota high school passer record in existence, so one has to think he has some promise but still, an emotional loss and another bad turn for a down-on-its-luck Jacks team.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. There was a reason why Thomas O'Brien was our starting QB - he gave us the best chance to win... If Sumner was/is better, he would have been our starting QB; its as simple as that. Regardless, I guess we'll find out what he can do against Illinois St.

Jacked_Rabbit
September 19th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Ya.. I was sitting on the 5 yard line when he dropped at the 1 with no timeouts left. Then they can't get the snap off in time!! As excited as I was to see the Mustangs rolling, I have to admit I felt bad for him on that one.

This was probably the worst play I've seen in the past 10 years of Jackrabbit football... xnonono2x I also believe it was the straw that broke the camel's back (even more so than the 104 yard INT return for a TD by Asa) and left the coaches with no choice but to make the switch.

devin45k
September 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I feel bad for the kid... He was getting scritinized like SDSU was Notre Dame or something. Hope everything works out well for him in the future.

the Guy is getting his Political Science degree from SDSU, he will be fine. It is a weird situation. He reminded me of Mertens honestly. I was big on Mertens for a while until I couldn't argue my way out of all his mistakes.

When SDSU first recruited him, I was bummed as hell he didnt choose NDSU. Gotta admit I am glad he didnt.

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2011, 07:21 PM
This is worse than Torres for Chelsea.....Wait. Wrong forum....

Jacked_Rabbit
September 19th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Full story from Terry V. with the Argus Leader: Link http://www.argusleader.com/article/20110919/UPDATES/110919059/Quarterback-Thomas-O-Brien-quits-SDSU-football-team?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

The South Dakota State football program absorbed another shocking blow Monday as junior quarterback Thomas O’Brien – a third-year starter – abruptly quit the team, according to offensive coordinator Luke Meadows.

Going into this season, SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier indicated that O’Brien would be on a shorter leash than last year. And on Saturday night after a 48-14 loss to Cal Poly, he indicated that the staff would take a hard look at that position. Stiegelmeier was especially miffed at a play late in the first half when O’Brien slid feet-first at the Cal Poly 1-yard line rather than putting his head down to try to get into the end zone. The clock ran out and SDSU did not score on the possession.

The Jacks are likely to start redshirt freshman Austin Sumner this week at Illinois State. The 6-foot-5 former Brandon Valley star has gotten fourth-quarter action each of the past two weeks. The other quarterback on the roster is junior Jordan Thomas.

O’Brien threw for a career-high 376 yards Saturday, but also threw two interceptions that were returned for touchdowns – the third and fourth pick-sixes he’s thrown this season. SDSU is 1-2 this fall, losing the last two games by combined scores of 104-17. The Jackrabbits haven’t been so soundly beaten in back-to-back weeks since 1912.

From Winona, Minn., O’Brien started 20 games over the past three seasons and is in the top-10 in school history for career passing yards. He was an injury replacement as a redshirt freshman and wound up leading SDSU to its first playoff berth since 1979. But last year, he regressed statistically and the Jacks went 5-6, their only losing season in a decade.

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2011, 07:50 PM
The Jacks are likely to start redshirt freshman Austin Sumner this week at Illinois State. The 6-foot-5 former Brandon Valley star has gotten fourth-quarter action each of the past two weeks. The other quarterback on the roster is junior Jordan Thomas.

What do you think, Jacked Rabbit? I hate to see a veteran quit the team after losing the job to a freshman, regardless of talent level. This could be crushing to team morale.

Jacked_Rabbit
September 19th, 2011, 08:10 PM
What do you think, Jacked Rabbit? I hate to see a veteran quit the team after losing the job to a freshman, regardless of talent level. This could be crushing to team morale.

Only time will tell. There was a reason Thomas O'Brien was a our starting QB - he gave us the best chance to win... If the coaching staff thought Austin Sumner was better, he would have been our starting QB. It isn't rocket science, ya know? For anyone to say that Sumner will improve our team before he ever even takes a snap as our starter is ludacris.

Things like this can either bring a team closer together or tear them further apart. With our Defense giving up points (and passing yards) at an absurd rate, we have bigger issues to worry about. If Illinois State doesn't hang 40+ on the board this coming Saturday, I'll be surprised. On a positive note, we are a young team that has some talented players and I don't think we will be down for long. Heck, we haven't even played a single conference game this year, so anything could happen (technically, that is)...

Jacked_Rabbit
September 19th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Here is a link to an article from the SDSU Student Newspaper, which includes some player quotes...

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/2011/09/19/quarterback-obrien-leaves-sdsu-football-team/

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2011, 09:42 PM
With our Defense giving up points (and passing yards) at an absurd rate, we have bigger issues to worry about. If Illinois State doesn't hang 40+ on the board this coming Saturday, I'll be surprised.

Illinois State doesn't have a very good defense either. They have now lost two close games, so I expect similar success from them against SDSU. 38-31 SDSU?

Side Judge
September 19th, 2011, 10:20 PM
This is worse than Torres for Chelsea.....Wait. Wrong forum....

You mean this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDCSir4TY5o

Squealofthepig
September 19th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Probably - love this picture following the miss:

http://i.imgur.com/TW7bF.jpg

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Side Judge, great find! :)

Yeah, I saw the highlight on that. Apparently, he's worth about 50 million dollars/bucks/pounds/quid/euros and yet he can barely score a goal. Can I have a few million? Please, Fernando?

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2011, 10:24 PM
OMG....what a photo. 50 million pound panzy! Sorry, I do not like Spain for all their diving and everything. I support USA soccer every 4 years.

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I could watch that Torres video 20 times in a row, and I think I will!

Ud1Hens
September 19th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Wow, what a fall from grace. It seems this started with the collapse vs Montana, continued in 2010 opener vs Delaware and the ship never righted itself since.

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Wow, what a fall from grace. It seems this started with the collapse vs Montana, continued in 2010 opener vs Delaware and the ship never righted itself since.

It's tough because the FCS can be really competitive (there is an actual playoff after all), and you can't count on TV revenue to build you a $400 million facility every 10 years (I'm looking at you Nebraska-Arkansas-Ole Miss).

Houndawg
September 19th, 2011, 10:39 PM

Hate to see it, I've been impressed by their willingness to go anywhere and play anyone; you don't see those guys buying playoff counters.

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Hate to see it, I've been impressed by their willingness to go anywhere and play anyone; you don't see those guys buying playoff counters.

Yeah, that's a good point. I hadn't even thought about the playoff-count aspect of it.

89rabbit
September 19th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Here is a little more from our athletics site:

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=205274583

Go State! :)

Grizzaholic
September 19th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Would really wish the NDSU "fans" not comment here.

89rabbit
September 19th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Here is some Video from KSFY TV

http://www.ksfy.com/category/185294/video?clipId=6269057&autostart=true

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2011, 11:35 PM
In his final start, Sept. 17 at Cal Poly, O'Brien set career highs for completions and yards as he went 28-of-45 for 376 yards with a pair of touchdowns. However, two of his three interceptions in the contest were returned for touchdowns. O'Brien's 376 yards passing were the fourth-most in a single game by a Jackrabbit quarterback.

Well, I guess if you gotta go out....do it with a career high. I hope he does well in his chosen professions.

Twentysix
September 19th, 2011, 11:37 PM
:D
Well, I guess if you gotta go out....do it with a career high. I hope he does well in his chosen professions.

Hey man you can't throw interceptions in political science. :D

In all seriousness I hope he does great in life. Its too bad that he had to go out this way.

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2011, 11:37 PM
89Rabbit, in that video you linked, did you notice they put a graphic of the South Dakota map next to the coach's graphic? Pretty odd juxtaposed pics there!

Squealofthepig
September 19th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Announced that Sumner will get the start Saturday, too, in the video (for those who haven't watched).

I hate to see any team get this sort of distraction - good luck to the Jackrabbits going forward.

Twentysix
September 19th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Announced that Sumner will get the start Saturday, too, in the video (for those who haven't watched).

I hate to see any team get this sort of distraction - good luck to the Jackrabbits going forward.

SDSU is good at doing crappy ooc then doing well in conference and making the MV look bad. :P

I'm sure they will be fine from here on out.

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Please explain to me the rivalries between UND - NDSU - SDSU - USD. Who hates whom the most. Who doesn't care about whom (if possible).

I know NDSU - Minnesota is a rivalry of sorts. Educate me.

89rabbit
September 19th, 2011, 11:48 PM
SDSU is good at doing crappy ooc then doing well in conference and making the MV look bad. :P

That is because we don't fill up on cupcakes in our OOC like some Valley teams.

89rabbit
September 19th, 2011, 11:50 PM
89Rabbit, in that video you linked, did you notice they put a graphic of the South Dakota map next to the coach's graphic? Pretty odd juxtaposed pics there!

I'm not sure I get what you are driving at. They had Coach Stig on the phone (his pic) and he was calling from Brookings and KSFY is in Sioux Falls 45 min. South of Brookings (South Dakota map)

Twentysix
September 19th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Please explain to me the rivalries between UND - NDSU - SDSU - USD. Who hates whom the most. Who doesn't care about whom (if possible).

Its a love triangle. Its much like the rest of the world, everyone hates ndsu. They jelly of our time of running roughshot in the NCC.

National Championships (College Division) (3) 1965, 1968, 1969

National Championships (Division II) (5) 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1990

North Central Conference Championships (23) 1965, 1966 (Co-Champion), 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972 (Three-way), 1973 (Co-Champion), 1974 (Three-way), 1976, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1983 (Co-Champion), 1984 (Co-Champion), 1985, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994 (Co-Champion)

that basically explains it in a nutshell starting in 1965.

Squealofthepig
September 19th, 2011, 11:56 PM
...except on cs, where NDSU seems to be (initially) the antichrist himself, until you realize it's just a few annoying bison fans the cs hivemind has decided to vilify.

BisonFan02
September 19th, 2011, 11:57 PM

The rivalry(s) goes back to the DII days in the NCC. Some of it has diminished to a point since the transition to DI. I think, today anyway, the NDSU/SDSU rivalry game for the Dakota Marker has been alot of fun, and I would expect that to continue. I'm having a tough time believing the NDSU/UND rivalry on the field will be coming back anytime soon since they are going to be in separate conferences. I realize that isn't popular among many fans, but I just don't see it ever getting back to how it was in the old NCC days.

Squealofthepig
September 19th, 2011, 11:59 PM
The rivalry(s) goes back to the DII days in the NCC. Some of it has diminished to a point since the transition to DI. I think, today anyway, the NDSU/SDSU rivalry game for the Dakota Marker has been alot of fun, and I would expect that to continue. I'm having a tough time believing the NDSU/UND rivalry on the field will be coming back anytime soon since they are going to be in separate conferences. I realize that isn't popular among many fans, but I just don't see it ever getting back to how it was in the old NCC days.

Just to build on that, the UND/NDSU is a LONG rivalry, with well over 100 games between the two schools. As bisonfan says, it is a shame they're in separate conferences, but the exact history of why that is now is a conversation that most of us are probably too tired to even attempt.

89rabbit
September 19th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Its a love triangle. Its much like the rest of the world, everyone hates ndsu. They jelly of our time of running roughshot in the NCC.

National Championships (College Division) (3) 1965, 1968, 1969

National Championships (Division II) (5) 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1990

North Central Conference Championships (23) 1965, 1966 (Co-Champion), 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972 (Three-way), 1973 (Co-Champion), 1974 (Three-way), 1976, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1983 (Co-Champion), 1984 (Co-Champion), 1985, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994 (Co-Champion)

that basically explains it in a nutshell starting in 1965.

Not another trip down memory lane. xrolleyesx

Twentysix
September 20th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Not another trip down memory lane. xrolleyesx

I didn't follow NDSU during any of those times, I really dont care. I was one when NDSU won their last NC. How old were you when SDSU won their last NC? xlolx

kayak asked.

BisonFan02
September 20th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Just to build on that, the UND/NDSU is a LONG rivalry, with well over 100 games between the two schools. As bisonfan says, it is a shame they're in separate conferences, but the exact history of why that is now is a conversation that most of us are probably too tired to even attempt.

This. I don't think anyone is ever going to agree on the "why". It's really a tired convo, and it ranks up there with the mascot debates.

Poly's Brutality
September 20th, 2011, 01:33 AM

This is lousy news, this guy was good. The 2 interceptions were not that big, not enough to make somebody quit when you consider one was tipped, the other a great play by All-American Buchanan candidate whatever. The dive at the one was one play, he quickly jumped up to try to get something out of it, but as someone else noted, game loss not his fault. He has good skills, tough kid, good good player it appeared. Hope he comes back. Not worth quitting - needs that opportunity to turn cr-p of the past to fertilizer of the future. Must be something else going on. The kid should hold his head up, looked like a winner and probably is.

bisonnation
September 20th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Tough loss. We have to remember this players are college kids. Not professionals.

OT, the odds makers show SDSU is playing at Wisconsin this week. STRANGE considering the Jacks aren't playing the Badgers. The South Dakota Coyotes are. Another screw up. I'm convinced everyone is mixing up the 4 Dakota teams.

Once again.

MISSOURI VALLEY = NDSU and SDSU.
GREAT WEST = USD and UND.

Next year
MISSOURI VALLEY = NDSU, SDSU, USD
BIG SKY = UND

darell1976
September 20th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I didn't follow NDSU during any of those times, I really dont care. I was one when NDSU won their last NC. How old were you when SDSU won their last NC? xlolx

kayak asked.

Who had the most recent National Championship......UND 2001!!!!!!!!!!! Tough loss for SDSU. O'Brien did a great job against us last season. I hope you guys get a good replacement and we will see the Jacks either in 2012 (playoffs) or 2013 (we have a score to settle).

darell1976
September 20th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Tough loss. We have to remember this players are college kids. Not professionals.

OT, the odds makers show SDSU is playing at Wisconsin this week. STRANGE considering the Jacks aren't playing the Badgers. The South Dakota Coyotes are. Another screw up. I'm convinced everyone is mixing up the 4 Dakota teams.

Once again.

MISSOURI VALLEY = NDSU and SDSU.
GREAT WEST = USD and UND.

Next year
MISSOURI VALLEY = NDSU, SDSU, USD
BIG SKY = UND

ESPN does a great job of that. During our NC game in 2001 vs Grand Valley State Mike Golic would say North Dakota State and Red Barron Pizza sponsored the WCHA Final 5 in St. Paul with NDSU on it instead of UND. Its okay you give these guys a map and maybe half will actually be surprised we aren't part of Canada.

alvinkayak6
September 20th, 2011, 10:22 AM
What is the word about possible Big Sky and Missouri Valley expansion? Does anybody feel like going to 16?

jacksfan29
September 20th, 2011, 11:39 AM

Like winning more then 4 games in the MVFC? Man, we need to get some of those patsies on our schedule to open the season so we can pound our chest and tell everyone we ROCK then get into conference play and lay an egg.

jacksfan29
September 20th, 2011, 11:58 AM

To NDSU Minnesota is a rival. Gopher fans? Don't really see it that way.

UND v NDSU - long time in-state rivalry dating back 100 years in D2. Don't like each other much, NDSU is bigger and see themselves as above UND. UND is a hockey school who had success in D2 FB yet it seems a large contingent of UND fans could care less about any sport but hockey (unless they are playing NDSU).

SDSU v USD - long time in-state rivalry that dates back over 100 years. The schools do not like each other, the fans do not like each other and the players don't like each other. SDSU is the bigger school with more statewide support. SDSU fans see USD as having an inferiority complex, USD fans ardently disagree but yet it seems that USD has been aching for the rivalry to resume while SDSU likes the new rivalry, somewhat more respectful rivalry we have with NDSU.

When SDSU moved up with NDSU the rivalry died, it will resume this year in BB (both in the Summit) and next year in football. The rivalry is pretty nasty in all sports and I would hope it calms a bit but keeps some of its energy when it resumes. It got pretty ugly the last decade of play, some of what had been fun turned pretty ugly at the end. The two did play in Women's BB last year, on a Monday (or Tuesday) can't recall the exact night but the game drew 6,000.

SDSU v UND - I woudn't call it a rivalry, we played for years but no one really cares
NDSU v USD - see above though this could change with USD moving into the MVFC
SDSU v NDSU - moved up together, bicker back and forth, very loud and well attended rivalry game which both schools circle every year. The game is very physical and the players take the rivalry seriously. When push comes to shove most fans at SDSU will cheer the Bison and most at NDSU will cheer the Jacks. We stuck together in the move up even when conferences only wanted one to join. The administrations are pretty close and work together well to promote the two schools. I don't see that changing.
UND v USD - rivals in the Great West when they moved up together. I'm not sure what to call this match up but it doesn't hold the same passion as the SDSU v NDSU rivalry. With UND moving to the Big Sky I think this "rivalry" if there every was one is dead.

darell1976
September 20th, 2011, 12:27 PM
To NDSU Minnesota is a rival. Gopher fans? Don't really see it that way.

UND v NDSU - long time in-state rivalry dating back 100 years in D2. Don't like each other much, NDSU is bigger and see themselves as above UND. UND is a hockey school who had success in D2 FB yet it seems a large contingent of UND fans could care less about any sport but hockey (unless they are playing NDSU).

SDSU v USD - long time in-state rivalry that dates back over 100 years. The schools do not like each other, the fans do not like each other and the players don't like each other. SDSU is the bigger school with more statewide support. SDSU fans see USD as having an inferiority complex, USD fans ardently disagree but yet it seems that USD has been aching for the rivalry to resume while SDSU likes the new rivalry, somewhat more respectful rivalry we have with NDSU.

When SDSU moved up with NDSU the rivalry died, it will resume this year in BB (both in the Summit) and next year in football. The rivalry is pretty nasty in all sports and I would hope it calms a bit but keeps some of its energy when it resumes. It got pretty ugly the last decade of play, some of what had been fun turned pretty ugly at the end. The two did play in Women's BB last year, on a Monday (or Tuesday) can't recall the exact night but the game drew 6,000.

SDSU v UND - I woudn't call it a rivalry, we played for years but no one really cares
NDSU v USD - see above though this could change with USD moving into the MVFC
SDSU v NDSU - moved up together, bicker back and forth, very loud and well attended rivalry game which both schools circle every year. The game is very physical and the players take the rivalry seriously. When push comes to shove most fans at SDSU will cheer the Bison and most at NDSU will cheer the Jacks. We stuck together in the move up even when conferences only wanted one to join. The administrations are pretty close and work together well to promote the two schools. I don't see that changing.
UND v USD - rivals in the Great West when they moved up together. I'm not sure what to call this match up but it doesn't hold the same passion as the SDSU v NDSU rivalry. With UND moving to the Big Sky I think this "rivalry" if there every was one is dead.

When the SU's left for DI USD became our rival. It had more meaning when the Sitting Bull Trophy was in play. It was retired in the 90's (UND has it). I and a lot of Sioux fans hope UND can continue to schedule all the Dakota teams. We had great games and hope to meet in the playoffs or for an OOC game!

Minnesota doesn't have a rival in NDSU they have a rival in UND. Both play in the same hockey conference and there is extremely bad blood between the two schools. Just go on Youtube and you will see lots of Sioux-Gopher hockey fights!!

89rabbit
September 20th, 2011, 05:29 PM
From the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20110920/UPDATES/110920070/Freshman-quarterback-Austin-Sumner-start-SDSU?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

Freshman quarterback Austin Sumner to start for SDSU

http://cmsimg.argusleader.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DF&Date=20110920&Category=UPDATES&ArtNo=110920070&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Freshman-quarterback-Austin-Sumner-start-SDSU

Redshirt freshman Austin Sumner will be the starting quarterback for South Dakota State when the Jackrabbits open the Missouri Valley Football Conference season Saturday at Illinois State.

The former Brandon Valley standout steps in for junior Thomas O'Brien, who unexpectedly quit the team Monday in the wake of Saturday's 48-14 loss at Cal Poly, which dropped SDSU to 1-2.

The 6-foot-5 Sumner, a former Argus Leader Elite 45 captain, threw for 3,202 yards and a state-record 38 touchdown passes for the Lynx as a senior in 2009. . . . (read more)

89rabbit
September 21st, 2011, 01:47 PM
Hey Darrell, are you really going to Spearfish to play @ Black Hills State, like your signature line says? Oh by the way, BHSU is a NCAA D-II school now. They join the RMAC next year.

http://www.rmacsports.org/landing/index

darell1976
September 21st, 2011, 03:47 PM
Hey Darrell, are you really going to Spearfish to play @ Black Hills State, like your signature line says? Oh by the way, BHSU is a NCAA D-II school now. They join the RMAC next year.

http://www.rmacsports.org/landing/index

xoopsxxoopsx

alvinkayak6
September 21st, 2011, 04:25 PM
ESPN spies picked up this article.

cpalum
September 21st, 2011, 04:33 PM
Pretty amazing that a guy can throw for 400 yards in a game and then feel so bad about the loss that he quits...very very sad. O'Brien has talent.

It is a team sport; you win as a team and lose as a team. I wish him and the Jacks the best. xcoffeex

bojeta
September 21st, 2011, 10:05 PM
Pretty amazing that a guy can throw for 400 yards in a game and then feel so bad about the loss that he quits...very very sad. O'Brien has talent.

It is a team sport; you win as a team and lose as a team. I wish him and the Jacks the best. xcoffeex

And.... when you look at the picks, one was tipped at the line, one was an outstanding defensive play by Asa Jackson and only one was a poor throw. Worse has happened to the best QBs. Certainly no reason to throw in the towel. Like you said, it's a team sport. I wish the kid well also.

89rabbit
September 21st, 2011, 11:43 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20110921/SPORTS0202/109210325/O-Brien-Quitting-wasn-t-based-outside-pressures-?odyssey=nav|head

O'Brien: Quitting wasn't based on 'outside pressures'

1:02 AM, Sep. 21, 2011

Written by
Terry Vandrovec

Thomas O'Brien broke his silence Tuesday, one day after quitting the SDSU football team and relinquishing his role as starting quarterback.

The junior responded to an interview request via text message by trying to clarify his reasons for leaving, writing: "I can tell you the decision to give it up was not based on outside pressures at all and was about my lack of desire to play. After the (Southern Utah) game I began to realize that football is just a game and I wanted to move on with my life if I'm not having fun." . . . (read more)

89rabbit
September 21st, 2011, 11:48 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20110921/SPORTS0202/109210307/Q-SDSU-football-coach-John-Stiegelmeier?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|s

Q&A with SDSU football coach John Stiegelmeier

11:00 PM, Sep. 20, 2011

Written by
Terry Vandrovec

John Stiegelmeier has coached the South Dakota State football program for 15 years, and he's never had a week like this.

In a matter of 52 hours, the Jackrabbits suffered a 48-14 loss at Cal Poly, got rerouted to Minneapolis on their return trip due to inclement weather and had their quarterback - third-year starter Thomas O'Brien - abruptly quit the team.

Nonetheless, Stiegelmeier honored a previous commitment to speak at a Sioux Falls booster luncheon Tuesday, even taking questions from members. He did so rather frankly and then answered more from the Argus Leader: . . . (read more)