PDA

View Full Version : Deriso Announces Top 80 Grambling Players of All-Time

TexasTerror
April 17th, 2006, 06:33 AM
One of the top I-AA columnists in the nation (as we learned on I-AA Waves), the beat writer for the Grambling Tigers, has released his listing of the top 80 players in Grambling history...

The highlights...

7. JUNIOUS ‘BUCK’ BUCHANAN: From his sophomore season onward, this tackle was given a trio of both All-America and all-conference honors while helping Grambling to a 23-5-2 record and its first SWAC title in 1960.
Former coach Eddie Robinson would recalls Buchanan’s dominance, even in practice.

“If we went to the right,” Robinson once recalled, “he would tackle us. If we went to the left, he would tackle us. If we went right at him, he would tackle us. Boy, he was really tough.”

Buchanan passing away in 1992 after a long bout with lung cancer, and was posthumously inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1996.

15. Bruce Eugene: Eugene left Grambling with school records for career and season yards, scores and completions, two conference championships and the Division I-AA mark for touchdowns in a year - a record that had stood for since 1984.

37. Ernie “Big Cat” Ladd: At 6'9" and 315 pounds, arguably the biggest GSU star ever. A first-team all-league defensive lineman in 1960, as Grambling won its first-ever Southwestern Athletic Conference championship.

75. DOUG WILLIAMS: Williams, who established school passing marks that stood for nearly 25 years, started quickly — winning a SWAC title as a redshirt freshman in 1974.

“I was blessed to have some veterans around me and Coach Robinson ran a conservative offense that didn’t put too much pressure on me,” Williams said.

He would win another SWAC championship as a senior in 1977, earning second-team All-SWAC honors in 1975 and then offensive player of the year honors in his final collegiate campaign. A Heisman Trophy finalist, Williams would be inducted into the SWAC and College halls in 2001.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060417/SPORTS/60417001/1006

MACHIAVELLI
April 17th, 2006, 12:18 PM
One of the top I-AA columnists in the nation (as we learned on I-AA Waves), the beat writer for the Grambling Tigers, has released his listing of the top 80 players in Grambling history...

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060417/SPORTS/60417001/1006

Texas Terrorist is now Deriso's PR Director.