PDA

View Full Version : There are 4 teams in the Dakota's - USD, UND, NDSU, SDSU - confusion!!

bisonnation
September 19th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Is there any confusion with the rest of the country that there are 4 teams in the Dakotas?? I was watching the UND/Fresno game on ESPN 3 and the announcer kept referring to the Sioux as "North Dakota State." I hear it all the time.

The confusion is really annoying. I guarantee you Sioux don't want to be called a Bison or a Coyote does not want to be called a Jackrabbit.

Here are the 4 teams

North Dakota State Bison (NDSU)
University Of North Dakota Sioux (UND)
South Dakota State Jackrabbits (SDSU)
University Of South Dakota Coyotes (USD)

History in a nutshell. All 4 teams were originally D2 and were in the North Central Conference (NCC).

In 2003, NDSU and SDSU left the D2 North Central Conference and moved to D1 and formed the Great West Football Conference with UC Davis, Cal Poly, Northern Colorado, and Southern Utah.

A few years later, NDSU and SDSU joined the Missouri Valley in Football and the Summitt in other sports.

At the same time, UND and USD decide to go D1. Since NDSU and SDSU were leaving the Great West, it only made sense for the UND/USD to join the Great West.

USD joins the Summitt league in sports other than football.

Then UND and USD are invited to join the Big Sky with Southern Utah, Davis, and Poly.

USD to leave the Summitt.

Then at the last minute USD decides to join the Missouri Valley.

USD and UND in Great West

NDSU and SDSU in Misouri Valley.

Missouri Valley
NDSU, SDSU, USD

Big SKy
UND

Summitt (all sports but football)
USD to join NDSU and SDSU

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I heard ESPN called SEMO, "Missouri State" on highlights Saturday. I'm sure everyone in Springfield cringed.

Squealofthepig
September 19th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I heard ESPN called SEMO, "Missouri State" on highlights Saturday. I'm sure everyone in Springfield cringed.

Springfield? Isn't that SMSU? :)

I'm with Bisonnation on this one; it's very frustrating when you look at polls and see some pretty good evidence that people are confusing teams (e.g., SDSU getting more votes than Cal Poly despite losing to them by 34 [points probably should have been for the Coyotes], or NDSU dropping six spots with a bye while UND jumps into the polls after a (really good and well-fought but still a) loss.

Sycamore51
September 19th, 2011, 01:18 PM
What I never could figure out is why Southwest Missouri State was called SMS while Souteast Missouri State was SEMO? Why not SWMS and SEMS?

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2011, 01:20 PM
What I never could figure out is why Southwest Missouri State was called SMS while Souteast Missouri State was SEMO? Why not SWMS and SEMS?

I would assume the schools chose their branding. SMS was on MSU's jerseys forever. Looks better than SWMS. Obviously the best choice was to become "Missouri State".

FCSFB
September 19th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I could be wrong but isn't USD in the Sumitt for the 2011-12 season? They aren't tourney eligible but believe their fall sports (volleyball, cross country) have summit league schedules. In fact they play NDSU Bison tonight in volleyball.

LakesBison
September 19th, 2011, 01:30 PM
the coaches that answer that poll have assistants write out the ballots, of course they are mistaking und for ndsu, because in the other polls und doesnt get a vote, i mean have a brain people!

DJKyR0
September 19th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I could be wrong but isn't USD in the Sumitt for the 2011-12 season? They aren't tourney eligible but believe their fall sports (volleyball, cross country) have summit league schedules. In fact they play NDSU Bison tonight in volleyball.

I believe this is correct. The 'Yotes (USD!) are also on the schedules for men's and women's basketball and, presumably, other Summit sports as well. I've got a pitcher on the line if NDSU can sweep tonight. :)

bisonnation
September 19th, 2011, 01:37 PM
the coaches that answer that poll have assistants write out the ballots, of course they are mistaking und for ndsu, because in the other polls und doesnt get a vote, i mean have a brain people!

Yeah they are screwing up.

NDSU drops 6 spots with a bye.
Montana State stays the same with a win over a bad D2 team Minot State
SDSU gets more votes than Cal Poly after losing to them by nearly 40 points
USD (2-1) is ranked below Eastern Washington (0-3). USD has a close FBS loss and they beat EWU by 2 scores.
UND is ranked after being unranked and lost to Fresno State. They are now 1-2 with a win over non scholarship Drake.

Should be NDSU ranked top 6, USD ranked in the middle, SDSU and UND unranked with no votes. Poly should be ranked 25 or reeive the most votes for an unranked

bisonnation
September 20th, 2011, 08:47 AM
More screw ups. If you go to the college football odds pages, its says South Dakota State is playing at Wisconsin. The problem is, they are not playing Wisconsin. The South Dakota Coyotes are. It's a different team.

darell1976
September 20th, 2011, 08:53 AM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/216024/group/Sports/

The panel of coaches apparently took notice of UND’s second-half leads over Western Athletic Conference opponents Idaho and Fresno State the past two weeks. The Vandals would battle back from a 14-3 deficit to beat UND 44-14 in Moscow.

Fresno State rallied for a 27-22 victory over the Sioux, who erased a 14-point deficit to hold a 22-21 edge entering the fourth quarter.

I wish they would list the names or what schools vote in the coaches poll.

Pard4Life
September 20th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Nobody confuses Pennsylvania State University with the University of Pennsylvania! Seriously it ain't hard folks!

Just remember: U North Dakota = UND = ripoff Notre Dame logo.

darell1976
September 20th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Nobody confuses Pennsylvania State University with the University of Pennsylvania! Seriously it ain't hard folks!

Just remember: U North Dakota = UND = ripoff Notre Dame logo.

For the record UND (Sioux) had the logo first. But just recently modified it.

JSUBison
September 20th, 2011, 09:07 AM
It was mentioned in the other thread about the example of the media screwing up the other way a few years back and left UND off the hockey champions flyer or something, and put NDSU on there. To an outsider, yes once or twice may be funny, but it gets really old for both UND fans and NDSU fans when people who should know the differences don't.

This weekend I was checking out the Big Ten Network site for the upcoming NDSU/Minny game, and do you want to guess what I saw? In the upcoming games section they had the UND indian head logo @ Minnesota "M" logo. I emailed them and explained their mistake. (Don't worry UND fans, I was polite). They have since changed it. Yet another example. You would think the Big Ten of all leagues would be able to keep NDSU/UND straight, with UND playing them in teh hockies and NDSU playing Minny in footbal, basketball and the other sports. It's really tiresome.

Franks Tanks
September 20th, 2011, 09:10 AM
It was mentioned in the other thread about the example of the media screwing up the other way a few years back and left UND off the hockey champions flyer or something, and put NDSU on there. To an outsider, yes once or twice may be funny, but it gets really old for both UND fans and NDSU fans when people who should know the differences don't.

This weekend I was checking out the Big Ten Network site for the upcoming NDSU/Minny game, and do you want to guess what I saw? In the upcoming games section they had the UND indian head logo @ Minnesota "M" logo. I emailed them and explained their mistake. (Don't worry UND fans, I was polite). They have since changed it. Yet another example. You would think the Big Ten of all leagues would be able to keep NDSU/UND straight, with UND playing them in teh hockies and NDSU playing Minny in footbal, basketball and the other sports. It's really tiresome.

I believe CBS put up the Lafayette Leopards logo recently, when they meant UL- Lafayette Ragun Cajuns. It really isnt that difficult, but the media gets this stuff wrong all the time.

UNIFanSince1983
September 20th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I don't get confused, but maybe if NDSU and UND had completely different colors it would be a little bit less confusing. As opposed to both having Green.

On to the matter at hand. ESPN always confuses teams. If you are not one of the BCS teams you will be confused. Some how in an article I saw them mention us as the University of Northern Iowa, but later they put NIU. Seriously, how does that make any sense? We get called NIU all the time you just get used to it because the Mothership is full of idiots. And I don't ever look at the Coaches poll because clearly that one is full of idiots too.

bisonnation
September 20th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Hey I went to an NCAA website to check out some Bison gear and found it.... but next to the Bison gear was a Sioux Hockey flag!! I emailed them and they fixed it!

Houndawg
September 20th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Yeah they are screwing up.

NDSU drops 6 spots with a bye.
Montana State stays the same with a win over a bad D2 team Minot State
SDSU gets more votes than Cal Poly after losing to them by nearly 40 points
USD (2-1) is ranked below Eastern Washington (0-3). USD has a close FBS loss and they beat EWU by 2 scores.
UND is ranked after being unranked and lost to Fresno State. They are now 1-2 with a win over non scholarship Drake.

Should be NDSU ranked top 6, USD ranked in the middle, SDSU and UND unranked with no votes. Poly should be ranked 25 or reeive the most votes for an unranked

I think it's just the polls starting to get enough info that is causing the movement. NDSU probably dropped because of the two weak opponents and a bye, whereas some of the other schools now have three games against legitimate competition and the polssters have a better idea of where they really stand.

FargoBison
September 20th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I think it's just the polls starting to get enough info that is causing the movement. NDSU probably dropped because of the two weak opponents and a bye, whereas some of the other schools now have three games against legitimate competition and the polssters have a better idea of where they really stand.

So tell me what have App State, GSU, Delaware and William and Mary done that is so much more impressive than NDSU? Our two non-conference opponents won last week, hell one of them beat a team that was almost in the previous poll.

Houndawg
September 20th, 2011, 09:53 AM
So tell me what have App State, GSU, UNH and William and Mary have done that is so much more impressive than NDSU?

Don't know, that's why I don't vote in the poll. Just saying that early in the season you should expect a lot more movement as pollsters get a handle on who really stands where. Probably won't see as big of jumps/falls in the polls from here on out. This week will give pollsters a better idea of how good NDSU is this year, something that two blow outs over paid chumps can't really tell them at this point.

FargoBison
September 20th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Don't know, that's why I don't vote in the poll. Just saying that early in the season you should expect a lot more movement as pollsters get a handle on who really stands where. Probably won't see as big of jumps/falls in the polls from here on out. This week will give pollsters a better idea of how good NDSU is this year, something that two blow outs over paid chumps can't really tell them at this point.

If we had laid an egg and barely beat one of those schools I would have expected it but we crushed both of them. There was obviously some kind of issue with this poll, the entire poll should be scrapped because this is what happens when you only have 28 voters.

That said, thank God the playoff committee doesn't care about polls and the Minnesota game will indeed tell a lot about this Bison team.

darell1976
September 20th, 2011, 10:08 AM
If we had laid an egg and barely beat one of those schools I would have expected it but we crushed both of them. There was obviously some kind of issue with this poll, the entire poll should be scrapped because this is what happens when you only have 28 voters.

That said, thank God the playoff committee doesn't care about polls and the Minnesota game will indeed tell a lot about this Bison team.

And those 28 voters don't know who NDSU is? Even though the FCS world heard about their FBS wins, their #1 ranking during transition, and how UND has done nothing...how could there be a mixup?xlolx

BisonBabe
September 20th, 2011, 10:12 AM
As has been said in other threads while it may be the Coaches poll most coaches do not have the time for it so it falls to someone else to address. As has been the case before mistakes will be made when you have similar names. No need for anyone to get their knickers in a twist as in the end the poll does not decide the champion that is decided on the field as it should be.

bisonnation
September 20th, 2011, 10:12 AM

Agreed, but NDSUs #6 ranking had more to do with how they finished last year, an Elite 8 finish, and took the National Champions to OT and are returning much of that team. They shouldn't be punished for having a bye week, just like the other teams who had a bye weren't punished. And they definitely shouldn't be punished because the voters are confused by 4 different Dakota schools. Ask Poly how it worked out for them after beating SDSU by 40.

Rob Iola
September 20th, 2011, 10:13 AM
A modest proposal to solve this problem once and for all - simply combine all 4 schools into 1 "Dakota U"...

BisonBabe
September 20th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Not bloody likely :)

darell1976
September 20th, 2011, 10:16 AM
A modest proposal to solve this problem once and for all - simply combine all 4 schools into 1 "Dakota U"...

The U of Dakota Fighting BisonYoteRabbits.

RabidRabbit
September 20th, 2011, 10:18 AM

That would happen sooner than UD/DSU combining! :p

alvinkayak6
September 20th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I feel like this could easily be a 30 page thread of confusions, and i say this as an outsider who has never been to the Dakotas.

Rob Iola
September 20th, 2011, 10:21 AM
That would happen sooner than UD/DSU combining! :p

UD has DSU folks coming in all the time - those burned-out lightbulbs aren't going to change themselves after all...

NDB
September 20th, 2011, 10:26 AM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/216024/group/Sports/

I wish they would list the names or what schools vote in the coaches poll.

http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/FCS/polls/2011/2011_FCS_Coaches_Poll/Voting_Panel.html

darell1976
September 20th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I feel like this could easily be a 30 page thread of confusions, and i say this as an outsider who has never been to the Dakotas.

Come on out here we are just between the great lakes and the rockies. A big flat piece of land in the upper midwest.

NDB
September 20th, 2011, 10:27 AM
NDSU and UND have different colors.

NDSU's colors are green and yellow.

UND's colors are kelly green and pink.

Kelly green is not really green, it's the official preppie pantone (in this case aspirational).

Grizzaholic
September 20th, 2011, 10:28 AM
According to JBB there is only 3.

darell1976
September 20th, 2011, 10:32 AM
http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/FCS/polls/2011/2011_FCS_Coaches_Poll/Voting_Panel.html

Now the biggest question...who voted for UND? I say probably the teams that has never played UND in any sports or have associated with UND... Liberty, W&M, Penn, SCSU, Florida A&M, Monmouth, Central Conn St, EIU, Eastern Kentucky, Bucknell, San Diego, The Citidel, Chattanooga, SFA, Miss. Valley St, and Prairie View A&M. Take your pick out of these schools, because the rest has either played UND, are going to play UND, or has played UND in hockey. I left out Indiana State and W. Illinois they know who NDSU are.

darell1976
September 20th, 2011, 10:33 AM
NDSU and UND have different colors.

NDSU's colors are green and yellow.

UND's colors are kelly green and pink.

Kelly green is not really green, it's the official preppie pantone (in this case aspirational).

Correction its Kelly green, white and pink. (Pink is only used for academic purposes) it represents the color in our state flower the Prairie Rose.

darell1976
September 20th, 2011, 10:34 AM
According to JBB there is only 3.

Ah yes the JBB Dakota Big 3. Where UND stands alone because UND owns the series of the rest of the 3.xlolx

NDB
September 20th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Correction its Kelly green, white and pink. (Pink is only used for academic purposes) it represents the color in our state flower the Prairie Rose.

wrong. http://www.und.nodak.edu/university-relations/branding/standards.cfm

learn something about your school.

darell1976
September 20th, 2011, 11:15 AM
wrong. http://www.und.nodak.edu/university-relations/branding/standards.cfm

learn something about your school.

I did!!

http://www.royers.com/usrf.cfm?funfacts=sf&instate=ND

The wild prairie rose became a favorite of students of the University of North Dakota back in 1889. The school’s first graduating class realized their school had no official colors. So they chose pink and green, the colors of the prairie rose. They noted that the colors were suggestive of our green prairies and rosy prospects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_North_Dakota

Although the official school colors of UND are green and pink, this color combination is rarely employed outside of official or ceremonial applications. The colors are representative of North Dakota's state flower, the Wild Prairie Rose.[2] The official athetic teams colors of UND are Green and White adopted in the 1920s.

Just stick to NDSU...something you may know a little about.

BisonBabe
September 20th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Children children you are both right now go to your respective corners and take a breather :)

NDB
September 20th, 2011, 11:43 AM
"...the official school colors of UND are green and pink..."

Don't be a dumbass. It's right there in English on the University's website.

darell1976
September 20th, 2011, 11:48 AM
"Although the official school colors of UND are green and pink,"

Don't be a dumbass. It's right there in English on the University's website.

Yes but our athletic teams don't use pink...you don't be a dumbass. This is a site about sports and you are not going to see pink on the uni's. The fans and its team did do a pink tribute to breast cancer but thats the only time you will see the sports team wear pink. So what is your point about UND having pink as a school color? Its not the official athletic color that the average out of state fan will see on their tv which was pointed out in my previous reply.

The official athetic teams colors of UND are Green and White adopted in the 1920s.

Bogus Megapardus
September 20th, 2011, 12:17 PM

True, and Pennsylvania has more than 50 NCAA football teams. At least a dozen of them are named "University of Pennsylvania" in some fashion, such as Indiana University of Pennsylvania, West Chester University of Pennsylvania, Bloomsberg University of Pennsylvania . . . plus the geographically curious California University of Pennsylvania and the visually creative Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania, along with several others. The all play football on Saturdays . . . the folks at NDSU might even remember a few of them from past years.

These are all in addition to the "Pennsylvania State University" and the (private) "University of Pennsylvania." Ironically, two of the three large, state supported FBS institutions in the state don't even have the word "Pennsylvania" in their name - Temple and Pitt.

Now, just add this to the mix - Pennsylvania itself isn't even a "state" at all. Like Virginia, it's a "commonwealth." To my knowledge, there is no "Pennsylvania Commonwealth University," however. Looks to me like a missed opportunity in a crowded field.

darell1976
September 20th, 2011, 12:23 PM
True, and Pennsylvania has more than 50 NCAA football teams. At least a dozen of them are named "University of Pennsylvania" in some fashion, such as Indiana University of Pennsylvania, West Chester University of Pennsylvania, Bloomsberg University of Pennsylvania . . . plus the geographically curious California University of Pennsylvania and the visually creative Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania, along with several others. The all play football on Saturdays . . . the folks at NDSU might even remember a few of them from past years.

These are all in addition to the "Pennsylvania State University" and the (private) "University of Pennsylvania." Ironically, two of the three large, state supported FBS institutions in the state don't even have the word "Pennsylvania" in their name - Temple and Pitt.

Now, just add this to the mix - Pennsylvania itself isn't even a "state" at all. Like Virginia, it's a "commonwealth." To my knowledge, there is no "Pennsylvania Commonwealth University," however. Looks to me like a missed opportunity in a crowded field.

I remember UND playing these teams. Its too bad Indiana University had to change its nickname. It was fun to see the Sioux vs the Indians.

Houndawg
September 20th, 2011, 01:49 PM

You were supposed to crush them, they're non-scholarship; essentially your season started with a three-week bye and two guaranteed counter wins. Early on you get the benefit of the doubt from a strong finish last season, but each week that counts for less. Beat Minnesota and break .500 in MVC play and you'll be in the playoffs and maybe the top 15, top 10 if you go 6-2 in the MVC.

alvinkayak6
September 20th, 2011, 01:52 PM
LOL to Pennsylvania Commonwealth. 50 teams seems about right. There are loads of schools in Pennsylvania, a lot like North Carolina and Tennessee in fact.

Bogus Megapardus
September 20th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Pennsylvania has 3 FBS teams (Penn State, Pitt, Temple); 8 FCS teams (Bucknell, Duquesne, Lafayette, Lehigh, Robert Morris, Saint Francis, Villanova, Penn); plus 17 Division II teams and an astonishing 24 Division III teams, for a total of 52 NCAA football teams - all competing for fans, broadcasting and merchandising on Saturday afternoons.

North Carolina and Tennessee pale by comparison.

Franks Tanks
September 20th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I remember UND playing these teams. Its too bad Indiana University had to change its nickname. It was fun to see the Sioux vs the Indians.

They changed their name to the Crimson Hawks-- lame. They should've went with the Jimmys in honor of Indiana's (the town in Pa) favorite son Jimmy Stewart.

bkrownd
September 20th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Don't bother fighting it, they don't care what they call you. You are all "division 2" irrelevant directional state junior colleges to 99% of the ignorant football-watching public.

TheBisonator
September 20th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Don't bother fighting it, they don't care what they call you. You are all "division 2" irrelevant directional state junior colleges to 99% of the ignorant football-watching public.

Ironically, each of the four schools are co-flagships of their respective states...

UNIFanSince1983
September 20th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Ironically, each of the four schools are co-flagships of their respective states...

But what does that mean to the majority of the country? Those not in the Dakotas or FCS football fans don't know or care about the differences. It is a fact that unless you are a major college football team the Mothership will at some point mess up your name. About the only chance you have is being UMass, Villanova, or Georgetown (probably some others) because of their status as major basketball schools.

No_Skill
September 20th, 2011, 05:36 PM
But what does that mean to the majority of the country? Those not in the Dakotas or FCS football fans don't know or care about the differences. It is a fact that unless you are a major college football team the Mothership will at some point mess up your name. About the only chance you have is being UMass, Villanova, or Georgetown (probably some others) because of their status as major basketball schools.

Agreed. At some point you have to become comfortable in your own skin, so to speak. We are FCS fans and I personally could care less what most other people think.

darell1976
September 20th, 2011, 05:38 PM

NDSU and UND (or SDSU and USD) will never be major basketball schools. Unless Phil Jackson uses his popularity on his alma mater, UND by promoting the school or becoming their coach!

TheBisonator
September 20th, 2011, 05:38 PM

Yeah, I know the Boobs from Bristol don't care to tell the difference. I'm not insecure at all with the fact that national sports media froozes our names up. I'm not into the whole Bison sports fan thing to try to make NDSU into King Corn of all athletic programs (like lakesbison is), I just want to see us to do well and stay with our athletic peers.

Heck, I didn't want to go to a major, nationally famous college when I was applying for them, but at the same time I didn't want to go to a tiny private liberal arts school with 1,000 students. NDSU fit perfectly for me. Schools like the four Dakota U's and Montana U's and UNI, SIU, Illinois State, etc. have a LOT to offer sports fans on an athletic level. Heck, Missouri Valley basketball is the most entertaining brand of college hoops for me (and the reason why I want to see NDSU in the MVC) And if E$PN doesn't think that's important, well, nuts to them.

bkrownd
September 20th, 2011, 05:40 PM

I've been part of a few 'flagship' universities over the years, and trust me culturally they do not consider each other as anything remotely like equals.

Personally I think the less attention you get from the ignorant masses, the better off you are.

TheBisonator
September 20th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I've been part of a few flagship universities over the years, and trust me culturally they do not consider each other as anything remotely like equals.

This is tied into the fact that North Dakota has only 673,000 people and South Dakota has only 813,000 people...

NDSU is a top-100 research institution though, and all Dakota-4 schools are classified as National Doctoral Research Universities...

darell1976
September 20th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I know the Boobs from Bristol don't care to tell the difference. I'm not insecure at all with the fact that national sports media froozes our names up. I'm not into the whole Bison sports fan thing to try to make NDSU into King Corn of all athletic programs (like lakesbison is), I just want to see us to do well and stay with our athletic peers.

Heck, I didn't want to go to a major, nationally famous college when I was applying for them, but at the same time I didn't want to go to a tiny private liberal arts school with 1,000 students. NDSU fit perfectly for me. Schools like the four Dakota U's and Montana U's and UNI, SIU, Illinois State, etc. have a LOT to offer sports fans on an athletic level. Heck, Missouri Valley basketball is the most entertaining brand of college hoops for me (and the reason why I want to see NDSU in the MVC) And if E$PN doesn't think that's important, well, nuts to them.

I just like to see our school at the bottom of the sports ticker (of course with some weird abbreviation). I wonder if the country would notice the difference if the 4 Dakota teams were ranked 1-4. Talk about your confusion.

Appfan_in_CAAland
September 20th, 2011, 05:52 PM
This whole problem stems from the fact that there should really just be a single state called Dakota.

TheBisonator
September 20th, 2011, 06:02 PM
This whole problem stems from the fact that there should really just be a single state called Dakota.

If that was the case, the state would have about 1.5 million people today. And if there was only ONE main campus in "Dakota" (ala Nebraska), that school would probably be in the Big Ten by now (or at least in the old Big 8/Big XII)

I think the territorial founders made a grave mistake back in 1889 splitting up the territory...

darell1976
September 20th, 2011, 06:05 PM
If that was the case, the state would have about 1.5 million people today. And if there was only ONE main campus in "Dakota" (ala Nebraska), that school would probably be in the Big Ten by now (or at least in the old Big 8/Big XII)

I think the territorial founders made a grave mistake back in 1889 splitting up the territory...

Too bad it would probably be in Vermillion (USD) since their school was founded first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_Territory

The territorial capital was Yankton from 1861 until 1883, when it was moved to Bismarck. The Dakota Territory was divided into the states of North Dakota and South Dakota on November 2, 1889. The admission of two states, as opposed to one, was done for a number of reasons. The two population centers in the territory were in the northeast and southeast corners of the territory, several hundred miles away from each other. On a national level, there was pressure from the Republican Party to admit two states to add to their political power in the Senate. A century later, with the populations of the two states at low levels, there were discussions of reuniting them as "Dakota", but this has never been seriously considered.

Bogus Megapardus
September 20th, 2011, 06:07 PM

There's the northeast, out to about the Susquehanna River, then there's California. Everything in between should just be one state.

Gil Dobie
September 20th, 2011, 06:21 PM

Same could be said for the Virginia's and Carolina's. :)

BisonFan02
September 20th, 2011, 08:05 PM
There's the northeast, out to about the Susquehanna River, then there's California. Everything in between should just be one state.

There's an awful lot of people in that "one" state that wish certain parts of the country (California for example) would just leave the union...then they can do whatever they want and leave the rest of us alone.

BEAR
September 20th, 2011, 09:20 PM
That brings up a question to me. What would your school be called if it didn't have a directional name in it? (for those of you who have a directional name) xlolx

University of Central Arkansas might be renamed to one of it's previous presidents that haven't gotten into legal trouble. xlolx

Estes University
Farris University

or one of the previous head coaches in one of the sports:

Isom University
McDaniels University

or one of it's famous athletes or educators

Pippen University
Meadors University

etc....

What would you or your alumni prefer for your university name? xscanx

Bogus Megapardus
September 20th, 2011, 09:37 PM
What would you or your alumni prefer for your university name?

The State University of New York has four principal campuses in "directional" locations across the state, but they're simply named after the localities in which they sit - Buffalo, Binghamton, Albany and Stony Brook. That's how everyone refers to them, and it works just fine. No confusion at all.

dakota fairways
September 20th, 2011, 10:30 PM

ironically, there was a letter to the editor suggesting UND and NDSU combine their athletic teams into one a couple of years back. This premise was that it could lead to the North Dakota University SiouxBison getting in to a conference like the Big Ten (before it became the B1G) or the Big 12 (before it became Texas and the other 11). As you probably already guessed, it flat on its face faster than a diving Gopher. Sorry, hockey joke maybe not appropriate for a football board.

No_Skill
September 20th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Diving Gopher? That sounds more like the swim team.

Drblankstare
September 20th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I grew up in S.Dak and have lived in N.Dak for the last decade and I cant tell the difference between the two. xlolxxlolx