PDA

View Full Version : Travis Lulay Interview

Lukin
April 16th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I have done about 30 prospect interviews over the last couple months. I am posting all of the 1-AA players interviewed here for your viewing pleasure and to generate some discussion.

FF LiveWire Exclusive Interview w/ Travis Lulay
Luke Nicholson
3/31/2006

Travis Lulay took the time to answer some questions for FF LiveWire's Luke Nicholson. He talked about his career at Montana State, the NCAA, meeting Steve Young, and his future NFL career.

Luke Nicholson: Who is your biggest role model? Why?

Travis Lulay: My biggest role models are my parents. They raised me to be a hardworking person with good moral character. I would not be the person I am today without their love and support.

Luke Nicholson: What current NFL player does your game most resemble? Why?

Travis Lulay: It’s hard to compare myself to current NFL players, but I would say my game most closely resembles that of Jake Plummer or Jeff Garcia. I’m not your typical pocket passer, and though I’m no Michael Vick, I can make plays with my feet if I have to. I’ve also heard the comparison to Jake Delhomme, who’s also one of my favorites.

Luke Nicholson: During your career at Montana State, what did your typical day during football season consist of?

Travis Lulay: I’d wake up early for weights at 6:30. After weights, I’d typically have class all morning until about noon. At noon I’d grab some lunch and head to the film room, watching opponent tape while I eat. Then we’d have our quarterback meetings at 2:00, talk about any changes to the game plan, and then head down to the locker room to get ready for practice at 3:30. After practice I would get dinner and then hit the books. To end my day I would always watch opponent tape as I went to bed at night.

Luke Nicholson: What advantages and disadvantages does a Division I-AA school like Montana State have in comparison to larger schools?

Travis Lulay: One obvious disadvantage is the level of recognition I-AA players get. Football is pretty big here in Montana, but outside the state not many people know who we are compared to the I-A guys who are on ESPN all the time. Another disadvantage is that scouts immediately have a knock on I-AA players, questioning whether we can be successful against a higher level of competition. One great thing about I-AA football is our playoff system. Every year we have an intense race to crown a national champion.

Luke Nicholson: Who is the toughest player you faced during your career at Montana State?

Travis Lulay: Jared Allen, the defensive end from Idaho State and currently with the Chiefs, was probably the toughest guy we faced. I knew where that guy was on every snap. He won I-AA’s top defensive honor, the Buck Buchanon award, in his senior season.

Luke Nicholson: If you could throw a pass to any NFL receiver, who would you choose? Why?

Travis Lulay: The thing about the NFL is that there are great athletes on every team, so for me to pick just one guy is tough. Some of the guys I’ve enjoyed watching in recent years are guys like Tory Holt, Steve Smith, and Chad Johnson. These guys are consistent playmakers who can turn a game wide open at any time.

Luke Nicholson: You were in Detroit for the Super Bowl. What current and former NFL players did you meet and what kind of advice did they have to offer?

Travis Lulay: I met a number of great people in Detroit, but the highlight of my weekend was meeting and talking with Steve Young. He was the quarterback that I strive to become. We just talked briefly, but he encouraged me to set my goals high and just keep on doing what I’ve done.

Luke Nicholson: You always hear about how basketball has helped to develop the games of players like Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates. How has your basketball or baseball background helped you to develop as a quarterback?

Travis Lulay: I think competing all the time helped the mental side of my game as much as anything. The more pressure-packed situations you’ve been in, the easier it is to perform in those moments. Refining skills in different areas has helped me become a better-rounded athlete. I also played soccer when I was younger, and I’m convinced that it helped my footwork.

Luke Nicholson: You also did some punting at Montana State. How has that experience helped you as a quarterback?

Travis Lulay: Punting was something that I did separate from quarterbacking, and it didn’t really make me a better quarterback. I did have a pretty good completion percentage out of punt formation, though. Trick plays were not a rarity.

Luke Nicholson: What training are you doing in preparation for your Pro Day and the NFL Draft?

Travis Lulay: I was in Orange County, California for about two and a half months of training. The focus was on speed and strength training, as well as preparing for the change of direction drills that we get tested on. In addition to that stuff, I was throwing the ball 4-5 days a week, focusing on keeping my arm in good throwing shape and improving my footwork and delivery every day. Now that pro day has come and gone, I’m focusing on getting into training camp shape. I’m still throwing the ball regularly and working on quarterbacking, but now I’m doing more conditioning work so that I’ll be ready for camp when that time comes.

Luke Nicholson: Have you ever played fantasy football? Do any of your current or former teammates at Montana State play?

Travis Lulay: I actually never have played fantasy football, but I know that a few guys on the team do.

Luke Nicholson: Which teams interviewed you at the combine? What were some of the more interesting questions you were asked and how did you answer?

Travis Lulay: I met with over half of the quarterback coaches from around the league, and I had official interviews with the personnel from the Falcons and the Dolphins. You definitely get some strange questions asked. The weirdest questions I was asked were during psychological tests. I remember being asked, “If you were an animal, would you rather be a dog or a cat?” I said dog. I guess I’m just a dog guy.

Luke Nicholson: What is your greatest skill as a QB? What one thing do you have to work on the most in order to excel at the NFL level?

Travis Lulay: My greatest skill as a QB is consistently being able to make the right decisions and being able to make plays in a pressure situation. In order to be successful at the next level, you have to step up your entire game. You have to react more quickly, throw the ball more accurately, and make good decisions on every play. Just like jumping from high school to college, you have to adapt to a higher level of play.

Luke Nicholson: Are you more comfortable in the pocket or scrambling and making plays on the run? Why?

Travis Lulay: I don’t necessarily feel more comfortable doing one thing over the other. If the offense is clicking, I have no reason to leave the pocket. It’s just a matter of dropping back, going through the read progression, and delivering the ball. However, if I have to buy time to throw or make a play with my feet, I feel perfectly comfortable scrambling to make something out of nothing for the offense.

Luke Nicholson: Coming from a Division I-AA school, what changes would you make in the governance of college athletics? In other words, what changes would you make in the NCAA?

Travis Lulay: I think the NCAA does a good job in its governance of college athletics. I like the idea of a playoff system, which works really well at the I-AA level. However, the bowl games are very successful and everyone I’ve talked to who’s had the opportunity to play in one had a great time.

Luke Nicholson: Fill in the blanks to the following sentence: Travis Lulay’s arm is as strong as _____ and as accurate as _____.

Travis Lulay: Travis Lulay's arm is as strong and as accurate as it needs to be.

Luke Nicholson: Thank you for your time, Travis. Good luck at your Pro Day, in the draft, and in the NFL.

link (http://www.fflivewire.com/article.asp?id=omh6671mho7699l)

Lukin
April 16th, 2006, 09:57 PM
I have done about 30 prospect interviews over the last couple months. I am posting all of the 1-AA players interviewed here for your viewing pleasure and to generate some discussion.

FF LiveWire Exclusive Interview w/ Kevin McMahan
Luke Nicholson
3/22/2006

Enthusiastic wide receiver Kevin McMahan sat down and answered a few questions for FF LiveWire's Luke Nicholson about his career at Maine, the NCAA, and persuing a career in the NFL.

Luke Nicholson: Who is your biggest role model? Why?

Kevin McMahan: my grandmother. shes a hardworking women that has worked for everything shes had. growing up in a poor and segregated south carolina shes perservered through so much. I just try to bring some of that perserverance into my everyday life and onto the field whenever things get tough.

Luke Nicholson: What current NFL player does your game most resemble? Why?

Kevin McMahan: athletically I'd have to say randy moss because theres very few 6'3'' receivers running 4.3 like ourselves but our personalities dont seem alike.. Im very humble and still feel like I have so much to learn and I always want to get better. In that aspect I'd probably say someone like Tory Holt or Marvin Harrison

Luke Nicholson: What is your greatest football moment to date?

Kevin McMahan: 56 yd TD versus Nebraska this year. I asked coach to call a vertical because I knew I was faster than those guys. I caught at about 20 and let my feet do the rest. In front of 80,00 it was just a moment I'll never forget

Luke Nicholson: During your career at Maine, what did your typical day during football season consist of?

Kevin McMahan: I like to wake up early and get day started whether I have class or not.. so Id wake up ealy to get a good breakfast, hang out for a little while then head to class. After class I'll go watch film on my own usually on my mistakes or on an NFL player then Ill get lunch and come back to our position meeting where we install plays and watch game film.

Luke Nicholson: Who is the best player you faced during your career?

Kevin McMahan: Most people would think I am going to name a nebraska player but I wasnt very imppressed honestly. Id have to name a couple guys I actually played with. as far a defensive back David Cusano, all conference safety/corner he just was so smart and technically sound.. But overall Stephen cooper linebacker for the chargers now he was just unbeleivable with the things he did on the field

Luke Nicholson: Did you play any other sports in high school? How did they help you develop as a wide receiver?

Kevin McMahan: I only played one true year of football in HS. I was a basketball player planning on getting basketball scholarship. Then my best friend convinced me to play football and I did well at it and was offered a couple scholarships. since I knew I couldnt afford school and I feel I was more of a limited commodity as a fast tall reciever than I was as a 6'3'' small forward or shooting guard I figured it'd be in my best interest to try football in college. Basketball just made me that much more athletic as far an jumping and maneuvering

Luke Nicholson: Have you ever played fantasy football? Did any of your teammates at Maine play?

Kevin McMahan: I dont play but people on my team play and my roomate lives by it. Its actually quite rediculous how much my roomate talks about fantasy football... and for the record in case he reads this.. HE LOST!

Luke Nicholson: What NFL teams have shown interest in you? Is there a specific team you would like to play for?

Kevin McMahan: My agent, Dennis Boyev with ETL associates, has been doing all of the talking and there seem to be some teams who really liked the way I performed on pro day and seem to be very intrigued by me being 6'2'' and running a 4.31. It doesnt mater to me what team I go to. I just want someone to bring me to camp and see how hard I work and how easily I can adapt and learn a system because thats where I will impress people. they already know I can run, jump and catch a football well.

Luke Nicholson: If you could catch a pass from any NFL quarterback, who would you choose?

Kevin McMahan: Neither of which are current but Id say Joe Montana and Steve Young because I idolize Jery Rice and It woudl be an honor to say I caught passes from the same guys he did.

Luke Nicholson: Are you a cat or a dog? Why?

Kevin McMahan: Id have to say a cat. as far as my game play I feel like I am not loud and aggressive Im more the type that is quick and quiet. A dog always runs after the cat but never catches it..

Luke Nicholson: If you could be an inanimate object, what would you be? Why?

Kevin McMahan: a cross. a cross cant speak, say or do anything but it posseses such a power just when you look at it or hold it. If i had to be an inanimate object Id want to at least be something that still has an affect on peoples' lives.

Luke Nicholson: What one thing do you have to work on the most in order to excel at the NFL level?

Kevin McMahan: watching film.. I watch film here but sometimes without a purpose. No one ever taught me to watch film until recently so I used to watch because I was supposed to. Im just starting to be able to watch and recognize tendencies and weak spots. Once I develop that better I can stop relying on my god given athletic ability. That will get me far but I want all the tools to get me to the most elite football player I can be.

Luke Nicholson: Coming from a Division I-AA school, what changes would you make in the governance of college athletics? In other words, what changes would you make in the NCAA?

Kevin McMahan: Personally I think 1A should have a playoff.. If you ask me theres is no true champion in 1A.. I like how In 1AA you have to play extra games at the end of the season and determine a real winner. Usually the teams that are ranked number 1 dont end up actually winning it all... Also Id like to see more good 1AA schoolsplay 1A schools because people dont realize the talent difference is minimal. They definitely have more depth and I think the biggest difference lies in O and D line but skill position I think we are right there. Looking back at nebraska I came name a few ppl on our team that could start for them.

Luke Nicholson: Finish the following sentence: Kevin McMahan’s hands are softer than…

Kevin McMahan: baby sh** lol

Luke Nicholson: What is something unique about you that most people don’t know?

Kevin McMahan: I used to play soccer when I was a kid.lol I was a sick goalie. where I come from soccer isnt a sport ppl play but my rec. center put together a team and I played.

Luke Nicholson: Thank you for your time, Kevin. Come visit us at www.fflivewire.com if you get a chance. Good luck in all of your NFL endeavors.

link (http://www.fflivewire.com/article.asp?id=ays1139yta2166x)