PDA

View Full Version : FCS Athletic Program Moves Web Site to Facebook

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2011, 08:26 PM
http://onlyfans.cstv.com/schools/cbs/redirects/sout-redirect.html

This must be temporary, but Southern is directing all fans of their program to go from their old web site domain to their Facebook page.

I would like to presume that they are in the midst of a transition away from their current web site provider (which is one of the most expensive) to one of the cheaper providers.

If this was a cost-saving move, that was not a good one.

ElonPride
September 18th, 2011, 08:33 PM

This must be temporary, but Southern is directing all fans of their program to go from their old web site domain to their Facebook page.

I would like to presume that they are in the midst of a transition away from their current web site provider (which is one of the most expensive) to one of the cheaper providers.

Everyone is seriously falling into FB's plan. At the moment, it's free......but wait until they say, "Yeah, you're a company.....pay us X." It's closer than people realize. Facebook is also going to become irrelevant quicker than most think.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 18th, 2011, 11:20 PM

You know its temp as much as u are on the SWACPAGE. SU's new site is under construction.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSouthernDigest#p/u/13/LSh9IHV955I

Bogus Megapardus
September 19th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Many people (including me) won't go near anything involving Facebook. I have my security set to block any links to it. It's like the old AOL - incredibly invasive and best avoided if possible.

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2011, 06:48 AM
You know its temp as much as u are on the SWACPAGE. SU's new site is under construction.

Missed this...

Surprised that Southern went with NeuLion. If they just met at the end of August, they are probably another month or two from an official launch. Either way, still not good that there's such a significant delay in switching web sites, particularly during football season.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 19th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Missed this...

Surprised that Southern went with NeuLion. If they just met at the end of August, they are probably another month or two from an official launch. Either way, still not good that there's such a significant delay in switching web sites, particularly during football season.
Why. This is going to be interesting. xlolx

Skjellyfetti
September 19th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Who cares? Is this really thread-worthy?

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 19th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Who cares? Is this really thread-worthy?
I agree. TT has some strange fetish thing going on with anything related to the SWAC. xlolx

alvinkayak6
September 19th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Moving to a facebook page looks so amateur and really hurts the cred of the FCS in my opinion. I hate going to FCS university webpages and seeing construction. There are games being played. Give me the recaps, boxes, schedules, rosters, and please actually spell your own player names right! Jeezz is that too much to ask??

number1
September 19th, 2011, 11:08 PM

Thank You. smh

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Why. This is going to be interesting. xlolx

Two main reasons..

Growing trend in the region is for schools to move away from NeuLion and CBS-CS to different vendors... namely SIDEARM, which has become the vendor in the last 12-18 months for schools including PVAMU, Grambling, Alcorn, SLU, Nicholls, McNeese, South Alabama, Troy and from conversations that I have had, a few others en route once their contracts expire.

NeuLion costs twice the price of SIDEARM - which is one reason Southern's move shocks me - and it does not necessarily translate to better front-end or back-end services... which I can attest to from personal experience.

Moving to a facebook page looks so amateur and really hurts the cred of the FCS in my opinion. I hate going to FCS university webpages and seeing construction. There are games being played. Give me the recaps, boxes, schedules, rosters, and please actually spell your own player names right! Jeezz is that too much to ask??

Absolutely...

A significant 'down time' during football season has got to be hurting Southern to some degree in publicizing their programs. You just cannot duplicate your web site efforts on Facebook - particularly with making available rosters, schedules, stats, etc. that are commonplace on web sites that are updated (and active).

Perhaps the change in the media relations office coupled with a slow-moving contracts office plagued this one from the start .

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 20th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Two main reasons..

Growing trend in the region is for schools to move away from NeuLion and CBS-CS to different vendors... namely SIDEARM, which has become the vendor in the last 12-18 months for schools including PVAMU, Grambling, Alcorn, SLU, Nicholls, McNeese, South Alabama, Troy and from conversations that I have had, a few others en route once their contracts expire.

NeuLion costs twice the price of SIDEARM - which is one reason Southern's move shocks me - and it does not necessarily translate to better front-end or back-end services... which I can attest to from personal experience.

Absolutely...

A significant 'down time' during football season has got to be hurting Southern to some degree in publicizing their programs. You just cannot duplicate your web site efforts on Facebook - particularly with making available rosters, schedules, stats, etc. that are commonplace on web sites that are updated (and active).

Perhaps the change in the media relations office coupled with a slow-moving contracts office plagued this one from the start .
For what SU plans to do with the website Neulion was the better option. Just because other schools have gone to sidearm, doesnt mean its best for SU.

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2011, 06:45 AM
For what SU plans to do with the website Neulion was the better option. Just because other schools have gone to sidearm, doesnt mean its best for SU.

What's Southern anticipate doing? Is the school suddenly going to become the leader in the SWAC when it comes to utilizing webstreaming and other forms of audio/video coverage? NeuLion is more of an audio/video-type provider than SideArm - though both can provide the infrastructure to do it.