PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Tells Pirates: Think About Grambling

TexasTerror
April 16th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Hampton is now focused on Grambling. Which Grambling Tiger opened his mouth and said that sharing the national championship was a "slap in the face"? I didn't catch that.

Melvin Spears is rubbing off on his players. Seems like there is a whole bunch of "talk" from the Grambling side of things.

-------------
Hampton U. turns focus to season opener

With spring football practice over, Pirates coach Joe Taylor wants his team thinking about Grambling State.
BY MARTY O'BRIEN
April 15, 2006

HAMPTON -- It's been about a month. A month since Grambling State football coach Melvin Spears proclaimed in a newspaper article that his whole (spring) camp was about Hampton University.

A month since a Tiger running back said in the article that sharing the Sheridan Broadcasting Network Black College national title with Hampton last season was a slap in the face.

Hampton's response had been silence. Several Pirates said earlier this spring that they were focusing on one practice at a time, rather than on Grambling.

That's changed. Following the Pirates' spring-closing scrimmage on Thursday, coach Joe Taylor encouraged his players to think about Grambling State as often as possible the next four months.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-05162sy0apr15,0,705598.story?coll=dp-sports-local

SU Jag
April 16th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Dont sleep on Grambling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 16th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Yeah, this game will be special.

TexasTerror
April 16th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Think this game will do more than an appearance on ESPNU?

Any HBCU folks out there know if this game was televised in the past? From the sounds of it, seems like a pretty game.

Why was it cancelled originally? FAMU's talk of going I-A? Issues between or with the ADs?

HIU 93
April 17th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Any HBCU folks out there know if this game was televised in the past? From the sounds of it, seems like a pretty game.

Why was it cancelled originally? FAMU's talk of going I-A? Issues between or with the ADs?

It was televised in NY, VA, and LA locally. It was also televised on regional cable networks. It wasn't cancelled, it was just normal scheduling issues.

TexasTerror
April 17th, 2006, 06:36 AM
It was televised in NY, VA, and LA locally. It was also televised on regional cable networks. It wasn't cancelled, it was just normal scheduling issues.

Ah, my post wasn't deleted, I just put it on the wrong thread! :doh:

Catmendue2
April 17th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Huh

Catmendue2
April 17th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Hampton is now focused on Grambling. Which Grambling Tiger opened his mouth and said that sharing the national championship was a "slap in the face"? I didn't catch that.

Melvin Spears is rubbing off on his players. Seems like there is a whole bunch of "talk" from the Grambling side of things.

-------------
Hampton U. turns focus to season opener

With spring football practice over, Pirates coach Joe Taylor wants his team thinking about Grambling State.
BY MARTY O'BRIEN
April 15, 2006

HAMPTON -- It's been about a month. A month since Grambling State football coach Melvin Spears proclaimed in a newspaper article that his whole (spring) camp was about Hampton University.

A month since a Tiger running back said in the article that sharing the Sheridan Broadcasting Network Black College national title with Hampton last season was a slap in the face.

Hampton's response had been silence. Several Pirates said earlier this spring that they were focusing on one practice at a time, rather than on Grambling.

That's changed. Following the Pirates' spring-closing scrimmage on Thursday, coach Joe Taylor encouraged his players to think about Grambling State as often as possible the next four months.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-05162sy0apr15,0,705598.story?coll=dp-sports-local

An argument or conversation takes two, I guess Hampton must be talking to itself.

Tribe4SF
April 17th, 2006, 11:21 AM
For some reason my post here was deleted. I'll repeat that I like HU in this matchup. No Eugene, and a good Pirate defense, may make for a long day for the Tigers. GSU ran it up on some weak opponents last year, and do not face teams as good as Hampton in their conference.

MACHIAVELLI
April 17th, 2006, 11:43 AM

It was a slap in the face. I don't blame him for saying it.

HIU 93
April 18th, 2006, 11:38 AM
I can't wait for Labor Day Weekend.

mikebigg
April 18th, 2006, 10:59 PM
We were better than Hampton last year...we will be better than them this year. Bruce will be missed, but we will be more balanced. The back who made that statement was Ab Kuaan. Kuaan is not a cocky kid...in fact he's not very vocal at all. But he was making a matter of fact statement based on how he felt. Not putting down Hampton, but I honestly feel that Grambling's passing game last year would have been too much. It will be a good game this year... I hope it lives up to my expectations.

HIU 93
April 19th, 2006, 09:47 AM
We were better than Hampton last year...we will be better than them this year. Bruce will be missed, but we will be more balanced. The back who made that statement was Ab Kuaan. Kuaan is not a cocky kid...in fact he's not very vocal at all. But he was making a matter of fact statement based on how he felt. Not putting down Hampton, but I honestly feel that Grambling's passing game last year would have been too much. It will be a good game this year... I hope it lives up to my expectations.

Oh, it's going to be good- a good old-fashioned, cornfield butt kicking dealt out by the Pirates! The Tigers may be brave, but I don't think they are courageous enough to take us out.:smiley_wi

Tribe4SF
April 19th, 2006, 02:30 PM
As weak as the MEAC was last year, it was better than the SWAC, and Hampton was clearly the best of the MEAC. I think the Pirates will be a better football team this year, and I'm not sure the same can be said of Grambling.

SU Jag
April 19th, 2006, 02:33 PM
As weak as the MEAC was last year, it was better than the SWAC, and Hampton was clearly the best of the MEAC. I think the Pirates will be a better football team this year, and I'm not sure the same can be said of Grambling.

It was? How do you figure that? Didnt Hampton struggle with a bad Jackson State team last year?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Without a doubt, Hampton playing Grambling is a good thing for both the SWAC and MEAC. It will be billed as this year's "Heritage Bowl" and will be a monster turnout.

As for GSU, if they beat Hampton, it will go a long way to giving not only GSU a lot of props around D-I, but also the SWAC in general. Scheduling a top OOC game is the way to get respect, and beating 11-0 Hampton would give them respect in the out-of-SWAC camp.

I know I'll be following this game.

Tribe4SF
April 19th, 2006, 02:43 PM
It was? How do you figure that? Didnt Hampton struggle with a bad Jackson State team last year?

If you call 20-7 close. MEAC was 3-0 against SWAC, and none were close.

SU Jag
April 19th, 2006, 02:47 PM

None were even match-ups either. SC State #2(MEAC)beat Bama State#4(SWAC), Hampton#1(MEAC) beat Jackson State who finished near the bottom, and who was the other match-up?

SU Jag
April 19th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Without a doubt, Hampton playing Grambling is a good thing for both the SWAC and MEAC. It will be billed as this year's "Heritage Bowl" and will be a monster turnout.

As for GSU, if they beat Hampton, it will go a long way to giving not only GSU a lot of props around D-I, but also the SWAC in general. Scheduling a top OOC game is the way to get respect, and beating 11-0 Hampton would give them respect in the out-of-SWAC camp.

I know I'll be following this game.

Why dont you make the trip to Birmingham? I'm pretty sure that this game, this atmosphere, and everything else will be well worth it.:nod:

datruth4u
April 19th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I will agree that a lot of the SWAC was week last season. In my opinion Grambling was really the only good team in the SWAC. There were some teams in the conference last season that finished in the middle of the pack that may make some major strides this year. MVSU and JSU to be exact. Last season, the MEAC really only had two good teams, Hampton and South Carolina St. If the means that the MEAC was better then the SWAC from top to bottom to some of you then so be it. But, Grambling would have beaten Hampton last season. Grambling will beat Hampton this season. I know many of you seem to think that the only quality quarterback that existed in Grambling last year was Bruce Eugene. Many of you will be re-introduced to Brandon Launders. Grambling has some serious talent. Grambling is a team that many people are forgetting has been one of the most consistent teams in Div 1-aa this decade. Not just in the SWAC either. Hampton is a great team. Hampton once again will be one of the top teams in Div 1-aa but so will Grambling. Someone will have to loose this game, it just won't be Grambling!: smh :

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 19th, 2006, 04:26 PM
. It will be billed as this year's "Heritage Bowl" and will be a monster turnout.
SU vs BCC, meac vs swac, played on the same day will have a much better turnout.

Catmendue2
April 19th, 2006, 06:56 PM

It was 13-7 with less than 4 minutes to play.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Why dont you make the trip to Birmingham? I'm pretty sure that this game, this atmosphere, and everything else will be well worth it.:nod:

Thanks for the offer. Since I'm going to see Hampton two weeks later at the Meadowlands, I'll have to pass. Someday I'll make it... :nod:

Tribe4SF
April 19th, 2006, 10:35 PM
None were even match-ups either. SC State #2(MEAC)beat Bama State#4(SWAC), Hampton#1(MEAC) beat Jackson State who finished near the bottom, and who was the other match-up?

So S.C. State was not an even matchup with Bama State? The same Bama State that Grambling squeeked by while they were in a late season swan song? Bama State lost the following two weeks to Mississippi Valley and Div. II Tuskegee, and finished with four straight losses. (Of course they'd already beaten Southern.) The other matchup was Bethune Cookman over Arkansas- Pine Bluff. We'd know more about Grambling if they'd scheduled a MEAC instead of powerhouses like Concordia. We'll find out this year how they stack up.

The sad part is that neither team will get any real respect till they beat a good I-AA. This could be the year for Hampton, as I think they will win the MEAC again, and get a shot in the playoff. Grambling will still be questioned, unless, of course, they should beat Houston.

mikebigg
April 20th, 2006, 02:01 AM
So S.C. State was not an even matchup with Bama State? The same Bama State that Grambling squeeked by while they were in a late season swan song? Bama State lost the following two weeks to Mississippi Valley and Div. II Tuskegee, and finished with four straight losses. (Of course they'd already beaten Southern.) The other matchup was Bethune Cookman over Arkansas- Pine Bluff. We'd know more about Grambling if they'd scheduled a MEAC instead of powerhouses like Concordia. We'll find out this year how they stack up.

The sad part is that neither team will get any real respect till they beat a good I-AA. This could be the year for Hampton, as I think they will win the MEAC again, and get a shot in the playoff. Grambling will still be questioned, unless, of course, they should beat Houston.

Grambling isn't playing for any stamp of approval...we don't schedule to prove anything to the rest of 1AA. Does Lehigh? I would think that most schools play a schedule that fits they feel best fit their attendance goals and help get exposure. We're playing Hampton and Houston as out conference... When we beat them, it won't be to get anyone's approval. It will be Grambling playing for it's fans and our tradition against two good opponents. When we win, we'll just move on to the next game.

April 20th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Grambling isn't playing for any stamp of approval...we don't schedule to prove anything to the rest of 1AA. Does Lehigh?...Tribe4SF is a William and Mary guy, not Lehigh. This "stamp of approval" stuff is silly... we all see the W and L ...

MACHIAVELLI
April 20th, 2006, 06:50 AM
So S.C. State was not an even matchup with Bama State? The same Bama State that Grambling squeeked by while they were in a late season swan song? We'd know more about Grambling if they'd scheduled a MEAC instead of powerhouses like Concordia. We'll find out this year how they stack up.

*Do some research.
*How do you know that we didn't try to schedule a MEAC team. How do you know MEAC team wanted to play the ICON?
*We will get questioned when we beat Hampton, it will never stop. Hampton will get questioned for losing to the ICON...see where I am going with this?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 20th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Grambling isn't playing for any stamp of approval...we don't schedule to prove anything to the rest of 1AA. Does Lehigh?

GSU doesn't - and that's part of the problem in some people's eyes. But I want to give GSU props for playing Hampton. They are playing a nationally-ranked opponent - indeed, both GSU and Hampton may be nationally-ranked when the game is played. And when it's a battle of nationally-ranked teams, all of a sudden you get a casual fan (like me) interested in the game.

By this definition, Lehigh *does* schedule games to "prove" themselves to the rest of I-AA - not only because Lehigh has the goal every year of winning the Patriot League and qualifying for the I-AA playoffs, but nationally-ranked games give Lehigh exposure... Of the playoff conferences, I think you'll see that most of those schools schedules teams to "prove" something to I-AA Nation.

Tribe4SF
April 20th, 2006, 09:49 AM
*Do some research.
*How do you know that we didn't try to schedule a MEAC team. How do you know MEAC team wanted to play the ICON?
*We will get questioned when we beat Hampton, it will never stop. Hampton will get questioned for losing to the ICON...see where I am going with this?

What research? That GSU couldn't score after the 14:00 mark of the third? That Bama State was their equal offensively? That the game was in doubt till the end?

Don't know if you tried or not. Any way you cut it, Concordia should not have been on the schedule.

Grambling will help their ranking case if they beat Hampton. The fact remains that MEAC and SWAC teams will not be deserving of top 10 rankings until they have some success against better competition. It will stop when that happens. This has been the case for a long time. JSU came to Williamsburg in the first round in '96. They were unhappy that they were on the road with a 10-1 record, but they were not competitive in the game. If Hampton goes undefeated again, I think they'll have a hard time getting a top 4 seed. Their OOC is better this year, but playing Central State will hurt them, even though that's a great program, and they're forced to play transitional Winston-Salem.

Go Pirates!

MACHIAVELLI
April 20th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Don't know if you tried or not. Any way you cut it, Concordia should not have been on the schedule.

Grambling will help their ranking case if they beat Hampton. The fact remains that MEAC and SWAC teams will not be deserving of top 10 rankings until they have some success against better competition. It will stop when that happens.

So you would rather us have 10 games just so we didn't play Concordia? I've seen some schedules of IAA teams in 2006 and they have questionable team they are playing...Wonder will anything be said about that? When the ICON beat Portland, on the road, back in 2001, a ranked team, I remember people saying that Portland was weak and wasn't a true test. It won't stop. There will be another excuse, then another.

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Grambling isn't playing for any stamp of approval...we don't schedule to prove anything to the rest of 1AA. Does Lehigh? I would think that most schools play a schedule that fits they feel best fit their attendance goals and help get exposure. We're playing Hampton and Houston as out conference... When we beat them, it won't be to get anyone's approval. It will be Grambling playing for it's fans and our tradition against two good opponents. When we win, we'll just move on to the next game.

I do not think either Hampton or Houston will fall to Grambling. In fact, it would not surprise me if Grambling went 0-2 in those two out of conference games. I think Grambling is overlooking the Cougars, who are coming off a bowl appearance and will only be better this coming year.

This is not Concordia we're talking about and I dare say, Houston is just as good, if not better than the Washington St team that put it to Grambling 48-7 last year. And Hampton won a much stronger conference (as the MEAC from top to bottom is stronger than the SWAC, as proved by GPI and head-to-head) and only fell to a Richmond team that was pretty tough last year (that had wins over W&M, Delaware, Hofstra, Maine and @ JMU).

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2006, 10:49 AM
So you would rather us have 10 games just so we didn't play Concordia? I've seen some schedules of IAA teams in 2006 and they have questionable team they are playing...Wonder will anything be said about that? When the ICON beat Portland, on the road, back in 2001, a ranked team, I remember people saying that Portland was weak and wasn't a true test. It won't stop. There will be another excuse, then another.

I think all I-AAs play one cupcake for the most part, especially now that things have changed the football landscape. More I-AAs are playing I-As and more I-AAs are playing sub-Div Is because of how things have occured. Most schools can't criticize you playing for Concordia, because they've played their own Assumption College, Bacone College, etc.

Grambling can make a statement with a win against Hampton AND Houston, but I assure you folks will just shrug, especially if it's a close win over Hampton for the sole fact, Hampton/MEAC has not had much success against the I-AA heavyweights in the playoffs...

MACHIAVELLI
April 20th, 2006, 10:53 AM
What research? That GSU couldn't score after the 14:00 mark of the third? That Bama State was their equal offensively? That the game was in doubt till the end?

Right before the half ICON got the ball and drove 54 yards in :48 seconds, the score was 25-7 at halftime, in the 3rd Q we got the kick off and scored :38 seconds later. (We coasted cause Coach figured we would play them in the Championship game) I think our trainers played in that game. Bama St. started the 3Q possession with the intent on not get anymore points put on them hence the 16 play, 84 yard, 8:57 drive. Two, fumbles and interception and a missed field goal later it appeared as if Bama was making a game of it. They were at home, coming off a loss to their in-state rival the week before, they were playing above their heads, it happens. I sure in hindsight Coach Spears wouldn't have called off the Tigers so early.

GannonFan
April 20th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Oh come on, stop with the persecution rant, this isn't the smack board, it's a real discussion. Grambling got plenty of respect in the 70's when they played well and played outside of their conference. No one was denying Grambling their just respect back then because they played good teams outside of their conference regularly and did well, including in the playoffs. Grambling has done a lot, though, to insulate themselves recently from the rest of IAA by not really scheduling much with the rest of IAA, and the SWAC 9 game mandate hasn't helped that either. Portland St was a decent team in 2001, but they weren't a playoff team. Neither was Nicholl's St that year (they were 3-8 that year), whom Grambling also beat. But Grambling's OOC scheduling of late consists of a patsy and either a MEAC team or a IA team. There's very limited cross over into the rest of IAA, and especially against the power teams in IAA. The series against McNeese was a good foray into this area but the lopsided results of that series, and with that being the only good one of late, only helps to reinforce the idea that Grambling football isn't up to the quality of the elite IAA's. As for scheduling, I'm sure Grambling could easily schedule teams in their area - the Southland has tons of OOC games and they would schedule Grambling in a heartbeat. The opportunities are there to prove that Grambling is as good or better than the elites of IAA, but those opportunities aren't taken. I have no problem with Grambling's approach in that they aren't concerned with the rest of IAA and will use their football program as they see fit - more power to you. But you can't say in the same breath that Grambling also deserves respect from the rest of IAA whom they choose not to interact with. Like I said, the 1970's proved that a Grambling program that played well and played against the rest of the nation would be respected for their merits, but it's hard to merit that respect when you don't really associate with the majority of IAA.

MACHIAVELLI
April 20th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Grambling can make a statement with a win against Hampton AND Houston, but I assure you folks will just shrug, especially if it's a close win over Hampton for the sole fact, Hampton/MEAC has not had much success against the I-AA heavyweights in the playoffs...

I nominate Texas Terrorist for best poster in this thread.

MACHIAVELLI
April 20th, 2006, 11:06 AM

I nominate Texas Terrorist for best poster in this thread.

Portland St was a decent team in 2001, but they weren't a playoff team. Neither was Nicholl's St that year (they were 3-8 that year), whom Grambling also beat. But Grambling's OOC scheduling of late consists of a patsy and either a MEAC team or a IA team.

This is what I mean. How are we to know how a team is going to do when we schedule them. Yet we schedule 2 PWC D1AA teams on the road and defeat them and we get this "they weren't a playoff team or Nicholls state was 3-8 that year" Like I said, it will never end.

Yeah no one in D1AA schedules a patsy for homecoming.

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2006, 11:09 AM
This is what I mean. How are we to know how a team is going to do when we schedule them. Yet we schedule 2 PWC D1AA teams on the road and defeat them and we get this "they weren't a playoff team or Nicholls state was 3-8 that year" Like I said, it will never end.

The only way to truly know is schedule traditional powers at the I-AA level, but that is not a sure-fire method of doing so.

Teams like a Montana, UNI, McNeese St, Western Kentucky and/or Georgia Southern. Those are teams your always hearing about year in and year out. Then again, you could catch them in a bad year (as no one can truly avoid them), but they may still very well beat you (as one McN fan claims they did when they played the G-Men a few years back), which won't help your case...

If the SWAC got more OOC wins, they'd have more respect for their conference. The nine-game mandate hurts that, which is something we've beat to death. OOC wins are crucial in any sport to see how teams stack, but especially in football when there are not many games played, so there's less to compare from...

MACHIAVELLI
April 20th, 2006, 11:13 AM
If the SWAC got more OOC wins, they'd have more respect for their conference. The nine-game mandate hurts that, which is something we've beat to death. OOC wins are crucial in any sport to see how teams stack, but especially in football when there are not many games played, so there's less to compare from...

See there you go thinking we are playing for your respect.

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2006, 11:19 AM
See there you go thinking we are playing for your respect.

It's not about respect...it's about fans of all teams wanting to know how their teams would stack up against others. That's why games are played, to see where teams stack up against others, but what about those games you can't get on the schedule?

Fans of Grambling think they had the best HBCU in the nation last year. Did they play Hampton, who went undefeated in their regular season? Nope, so we wouldn't know for sure unless those two teams played or at the very least, had similar opponents or if either school had some major marquee wins that in a way would note if they were the "better" football team.

And a little smack, but you can tell the SWAC really doesn't care to gain anyone's respect when you have a golf team that finishes finishes 384 over par and 344 shots behind the leader! Yikes! Or soccer teams that allow 20+ goals in a match that is only 90 minutes long. So, I can see where your coming from on not caring about respect... ;)

MACHIAVELLI
April 20th, 2006, 11:29 AM
It's not about respect...it's about fans of all teams wanting to know how their teams would stack up against others. That's why games are played, to see where teams stack up against others, but what about those games you can't get on the schedule?

Fans of Grambling think they had the best HBCU in the nation last year. Did they play Hampton, who went undefeated in their regular season? Nope, so we wouldn't know for sure unless those two teams played or at the very least, had similar opponents or if either school had some major marquee wins that in a way would note if they were the "better" football team.

*See this is why no one respects anything you type.

*We did have a similar opponent. xidiotx

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2006, 11:32 AM
*We did have a similar opponent. xidiotx

I know you had similar opponents, as I've even debated the mutual opponent issue in the past when stating how Hampton was still better than Grambling.

I was giving examples of how we could stack two teams up in general at that point, which I did not make clear...but hey, when Grambling goes 0-2 in OOC next year, to no surprise of the I-AA masses, it won't matter and we won't have to worry about comparisons at all.

GannonFan
April 20th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Yeah no one in D1AA schedules a patsy for homecoming.

Of course you can't know how good a team will be. Some years you'll end up playing a schedule that's weaker than you thought it was going to be, and some years you'll play a schedule that's harder than you tought it would be. But that's the advantage of playing a normally competitive schedule year in and year out - the tough years will balance out the weak years. Grambling doesn't schedule like that enough to get the balancing effect and thus, what looked like a good schedule in 2001 was tempered by the relatively poor performance of those two teams. Losing by wide margins in both games of the home and home against McNeese St in later years didn't help to change the image that Grambling's success of the past few years is more predicated on an insular SWAC schedule than on real IAA competitiveness. Like I said, if you don't care what IAA thinks then why even bring up the resentment you feel about the rest of IAA and how they view Grambling? I still hold to the proven notion that when Grambling was good and when they played regularly against good teams outside of their conference they were widely, and rightfully, respected. There's no reason why that wouldn't happen again if they were regularly successful outside of the SWAC cocoon.

HIU 93
April 20th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Here's the deal- we are playing Grambling. I believe we will win. However, the sheer vitriol that some of y'all are spewing towards Gram is ridiculous. The SWAC and Grambling are not getting rid of the mandate, and they are not going to go to the playoffs. That is the way they want to do things. GET OVER IT!!!!!!!

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Here's the deal- we are playing Grambling. I believe we will win. However, the sheer vitriol that some of y'all are spewing towards Gram is ridiculous. The SWAC and Grambling are not getting rid of the mandate, and they are not going to go to the playoffs. That is the way they want to do things. GET OVER IT!!!!!!!

I think we could care less about that...that subject is old and weary. It's the fact there are folks who claim their team is one of the best, have players, coachs and fans that constantly reiterate such claims and have frankly, done "nothing" to back it up on the field...

GannonFan
April 20th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Easy there - I'm not sure what vitriol you're talking about. All I was doing was responding very civilly to Mach regarding his view of how Grambling's successes outside of the SWAC are treated by others in IAA. No need to ratchet up the discussion to something other than it is.

Edit - ok, maybe TT is a little over-the-top - I didn't read all his stuff! ;)

MACHIAVELLI
April 20th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Of course you can't know how good a team will be. Some years you'll end up playing a schedule that's weaker than you thought it was going to be, and some years you'll play a schedule that's harder than you tought it would be. But that's the advantage of playing a normally competitive schedule year in and year out - the tough years will balance out the weak years. Grambling doesn't schedule like that enough to get the balancing effect and thus, what looked like a good schedule in 2001 was tempered by the relatively poor performance of those two teams. Losing by wide margins in both games of the home and home against McNeese St in later years didn't help to change the image that Grambling's success of the past few years is more predicated on an insular SWAC schedule than on real IAA competitiveness. Like I said, if you don't care what IAA thinks then why even bring up the resentment you feel about the rest of IAA and how they view Grambling?

*The game in Grambling wasn't decided until 1:50 left in the 4th.

*I don't have resentment, I don't care how people view Grambling. I don't like mis-information. No matter what we do there will be people who think it is not enough or worthy. But I think it is assbackwards to keep harping on Grambling not being in the playoffs when we decided to participate 3 times when and if the bayou/playoff dates were different we would have participated more by the shear fact that we were conference champs (with other conferences getting auto bids). We choose not to, we are not scared to. If Grambling was 0-16 in the playoffs I could see your point.
Grambling was
11-1 in 2005
6-5 in 2004
9-3 in 2003
11-2 in 2002
10-1 in 2001
10-2 in 2000
we were conference champs 4 out of the last 6 years. We would have been a playoff team. But there would have been another excuse for something (fill in the blanks)

Question:
So would Southeastern be considered a good team since they beat McNeese 2 of the past 3 years?

datruth4u
April 20th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Easy there - I'm not sure what vitriol you're talking about. All I was doing was responding very civilly to Mach regarding his view of how Grambling's successes outside of the SWAC are treated by others in IAA. No need to ratchet up the discussion to something other than it is.

Edit - ok, maybe TT is a little over-the-top - I didn't read all his stuff! ;)

TT, that must stand for tickle, tickle because you’re making me laugh with some of these horrible post! For everyone’s information, when Grambling played Portland St in 01, Portland St was coming off a 8-3 season in which they went to the Div 1-AA playoffs the year before. Yes, Grambling was defeated handily in 2002 to McNeese St in the first game of the season. McNeese only went on to loose in the championship game that season. That game was only Bruce Eugene's first game as the official starter at Grambling. The following year when Grambling played McNeese St, the game wasn't decided until late in the fourth quarter. You speak of Houston being better the Washington St?xlolx That's how I know you don't know anything about either teams. You feel that you can say things and people out here won't call you out on your inaccurate information. Your credibility in my opinion is SHOT! Washington St last season lost 5 games by 16 points. WSU lost to an Oregon team by 3 points, the same Oregon team that beat Houston by 14 points. Just because a team makes a bowl game doesn't exactly mean that they are a premier team. What bowl did Houston play in by the way? Don't even bother to go to espn.com. I'll help you; they played in the Forth Worth Bowl. Can we say MARKETING? This year’s match-up between Grambling and Hampton should and will be one of the best games in Div-1aa football. Not because these were the two best HBCU football teams last season. But because these two teams will be two of the better Div-1aa programs this season. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Grambling is a program that is in transition mode right now. This is a program that is on the verge of doing some very special things. Usually when people use the word transition, they use it in a sense of going from bad to good. I'm not! I'm using the word in terms of going from good to great. Mark my words this is a team that is very good! Most think since we lost Bruce we will suffer. You can't replace a Bruce Eugene, nor can you replace a Barrick Nealy or an Eric Washington. However, Grambling has the luxury of having a quarterback who was able to play in his first season, and then be mentored by a record setting quarterback. Let's not forger Grambling also signed the 34th best qb in the entire nation. My source isn't rivals.com or scout.com. And it isn't dual threat or any other category like that. Straight up the 34th best qb in the nation. Oh yeah my source is ESPN.com. Grambling will be set for years at that position, and every other position on that team. The march to greatness tour starts September 2nd. Hampton University your on the clock!xcoffeex

SU Jag
April 20th, 2006, 01:03 PM
To be honest most if not every SWAC fan, players, and coaches hate the 9-game mandate, its stupid and it makes no sense at all. OCC games would be so much better without the mandate. I think that the SWAC fans and former players on this board have mentioned time in and time out that we hate the 9 game mandate.

Tribe4SF
April 20th, 2006, 01:05 PM
TT, that must stand for tickle, tickle because you’re making me laugh with some of these horrible post! For everyone’s information, when Grambling played Portland St in 01, Portland St was coming off a 8-3 season in which they went to the Div 1-AA playoffs the year before. Yes, Grambling was defeated handily in 2002 to McNeese St in the first game of the season. McNeese only went on to loose in the championship game that season. That game was only Bruce Eugene's first game as the official starter at Grambling. The following year when Grambling played McNeese St, the game wasn't decided until late in the fourth quarter. You speak of Houston being better the Washington St?xlolx That's how I know you don't know anything about either teams. You feel that you can say things and people out here won't call you out on your inaccurate information. Your credibility in my opinion is SHOT! Washington St last season lost 5 games by 16 points. WSU lost to an Oregon team by 3 points, the same Oregon team that beat Houston by 14 points. Just because a team makes a bowl game doesn't exactly mean that they are a premier team. What bowl did Houston play in by the way? Don't even bother to go to espn.com. I'll help you; they played in the Forth Worth Bowl. Can we say MARKETING? This year’s match-up between Grambling and Hampton should and will be one of the best games in Div-1aa football. Not because these were the two best HBCU football teams last season. But because these two teams will be two of the better Div-1aa programs this season. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Grambling is a program that is in transition mode right now. This is a program that is on the verge of doing some very special things. Usually when people use the word transition, they use it in a sense of going from bad to good. I'm not! I'm using the word in terms of going from good to great. Mark my words this is a team that is very good! Most think since we lost Bruce we will suffer. You can't replace a Bruce Eugene, nor can you replace a Barrick Nealy or an Eric Washington. However, Grambling has the luxury of having a quarterback who was able to play in his first season, and then be mentored by a record setting quarterback. Let's not forger Grambling also signed the 34th best qb in the entire nation. My source isn't rivals.com or scout.com. And it isn't dual threat or any other category like that. Straight up the 34th best qb in the nation. Oh yeah my source is ESPN.com. Grambling will be set for years at that position, and every other position on that team. The march to greatness tour starts September 2nd. Hampton University your on the clock!xcoffeex

Washington State also lost to Stanford, who was beaten by UC Davis. Now there's an up-and-coming I-AA who's earned everyone's repect.

The "March to Greatness Tour" may start on September 2nd, but it's likely to end the same day.

Go Pirates!

GannonFan
April 20th, 2006, 02:15 PM
For everyone’s information, when Grambling played Portland St in 01, Portland St was coming off a 8-3 season in which they went to the Div 1-AA playoffs the year before.

If we're going to stick with facts then, let's remember too that the Portland St team that made the playoffs in 2000 was vastly different than the 2001 version. Portland St graduated 7 starters on offense, 8 on defense, their K (who was also their punter) and graduated 22 of the 44 who showed up on the two-deep roster for their playoff game. And the losses included two Payton Finalists from the offense, Charles Dunn and Jimmy Blanchard. And even with that senior-laden team Portland St still lost big in the first round of the playoffs, losing 49-14. There were quite a many holes to fill when they 2001 team took the field. Hey, it was a good win, but for the reasons above and the lack of playoffs for the 2001 Port St team it wasn't a great win. But, it was a good game to schedule, especially on the road.

Catmendue2
April 20th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Grambling gonna spank Hampton this year the same way they would have last year. Everyone of the naysayers here will still say they(Hampton)are still better. Aint nothing gonna change even if Grambling plays and beats APPY ST. We heard the same cry from Nicholls State and they still haven't beaten Grambling and is ranked ahead of Grambling eveyryear playing the same compettition sometimes with a losing record.

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Grambling gonna spank Hampton this year the same way they would have last year. Everyone of the naysayers here will still say they(Hampton)are still better. Aint nothing gonna change even if Grambling plays and beats APPY ST. We heard the same cry from Nicholls State and they still haven't beaten Grambling and is ranked ahead of Grambling eveyryear playing the same compettition sometimes with a losing record.

Nicholls St legitimately has never been that good. This past year was their first SLC title and they went 6-4 overall. The only winning season other than that since 2000 was in 2002 when they went 7-4. They went 2-9, 3-8, 5-5 and 5-6 outside of that.

Lost by nine to Grambling when they were 3-8, coming off a 2-9 season. Nicholls went 0-11, 8-4, 5-6, 4-7 and 1-10 in the seasons before that. You can not compare them to McNeese at all, which had a media guide like two years ago with pictures of all their SLC championship rings.

It's not like Grambling was playing the Pokes, a traditional power, which beat a 11-2 HBCU National Champion Grambling squad in 2002 and beat a 9-3 Grambling squad the next year (2003). FYI, McNeese was SLC champions those two years.

Outside of that Portland St win, we're still waiting on hearing which legitimate wins Grambling has over I-AA foes in recent years. Again, no respect (whether desired or not) is deserved til your conference and or your team produce OOC wins worth noting.

Catmendue2
April 20th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Nicholls St legitimately has never been that good. This past year was their first SLC title and they went 6-4 overall. The only winning season other than that since 2000 was in 2002 when they went 7-4. They went 2-9, 3-8, 5-5 and 5-6 outside of that.

Lost by nine to Grambling when they were 3-8, coming off a 2-9 season. Nicholls went 0-11, 8-4, 5-6, 4-7 and 1-10 in the seasons before that. You can not compare them to McNeese at all, which had a media guide like two years ago with pictures of all their SLC championship rings.

It's not like Grambling was playing the Pokes, a traditional power, which beat a 11-2 HBCU National Champion Grambling squad in 2002 and beat a 9-3 Grambling squad the next year (2003). FYI, McNeese was SLC champions those two years.

Outside of that Portland St win, we're still waiting on hearing which legitimate wins Grambling has over I-AA foes in recent years. Again, no respect (whether desired or not) is deserved til your conference and or your team produce OOC wins worth noting.

I am still waiting SHSU to win anything:hurray:

April 20th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I am still waiting SHSU to win anything:hurray:Uh, SHSU is 3-4 in the NCAA playoffs including a semifinal appearance about 16 months ago.

datruth4u
April 20th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Which legitimate Div-1aa are going to travel or have us to travel to their site and we can get a payday?

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I am still waiting SHSU to win anything:hurray:

SHSU knocked off Grambling for a national title back in 1963... :)

June 8, 1963 - Fred Beene allows Grambling only three hits as Sam Houston State defeats the Tigers 2-1 to win the NAIA World Series Baseball National Championship in Emporia, Kansas.

datruth4u
April 20th, 2006, 03:44 PM
I'm still waiting to hear how Houston is better then Washington St?

Catmendue2
April 20th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Grambling would have murdered MCneese the last two year.

April 20th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Grambling would have murdered MCneese the last two year.:rolleyes: xlolx :cool:

Catmendue2
April 20th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Which legitimate Div-1aa are going to travel or have us to travel to their site and we can get a payday?

None and none gonna sign a contract with Grambling if they think they have a chance to make the playoffs. Its mostly talk, when the contracts are signed they usually play Alcorn or PV. Then holler how great they are or how big they whipped the SWAC.

April 20th, 2006, 04:54 PM
None and none gonna sign a contract with Grambling if they think they have a chance to make the playoffs. Its mostly talk, when the contracts are signed they usually play Alcorn or PV. Then holler how great they are or how big they whipped the SWAC.You are crazymouth flapping due2. :rolleyes: Wildly inaccurate smacking crazy! :nonono2:

TexasTerror
April 20th, 2006, 05:30 PM
None and none gonna sign a contract with Grambling if they think they have a chance to make the playoffs. Its mostly talk, when the contracts are signed they usually play Alcorn or PV. Then holler how great they are or how big they whipped the SWAC.

Not like there are typically more than one impressive team in the SWAC year in and year out. Outside of Grambling, you've had the two Alabama schools duking it out.

Seen the SWAC lately? Even Southern, perhaps the second best program in the SWAC since 2000 (considering their two SWAC West titles and the SWAC West dominance over the SWAC East in the title game, winning all SWAC title games except 2004), is 0-4 since 2000 against the SLC (losing three straight to NW St and one to McN)...

Your going to criticize everyone for saying they whipped the SWAC, but the truth is, in the chances these schools have had, they have...

Catmendue2
April 20th, 2006, 06:14 PM
????????
You are crazymouth flapping due2. :rolleyes: Wildly inaccurate smacking crazy! :nonono2:

Why is my input smack and Texas Terrorist garbage informing the 1-AA family.

You know we are watching don't you.

mikebigg
April 21st, 2006, 01:07 AM
Of course you can't know how good a team will be. Some years you'll end up playing a schedule that's weaker than you thought it was going to be, and some years you'll play a schedule that's harder than you tought it would be. But that's the advantage of playing a normally competitive schedule year in and year out - the tough years will balance out the weak years. Grambling doesn't schedule like that enough to get the balancing effect and thus, what looked like a good schedule in 2001 was tempered by the relatively poor performance of those two teams. Losing by wide margins in both games of the home and home against McNeese St in later years didn't help to change the image that Grambling's success of the past few years is more predicated on an insular SWAC schedule than on real IAA competitiveness. Like I said, if you don't care what IAA thinks then why even bring up the resentment you feel about the rest of IAA and how they view Grambling? I still hold to the proven notion that when Grambling was good and when they played regularly against good teams outside of their conference they were widely, and rightfully, respected. There's no reason why that wouldn't happen again if they were regularly successful outside of the SWAC cocoon.

During the 70's Alabama State, UAPB, and AAMU were not in the conference...that gave us a chance to play the Temples, Oregon States, SMUs, Long Beach State, Univ of Hawaii, etc in Classic matchups. We also played Tn State, occassionally FAMU, Boston University, etc in games that were huge gates for us. With the addition of the three new conference members (and the 9 game MANDATE), we can't afford to schedule home and homes with the teams you mentioned instead of trying to get a Classic game or 1A payday. We played Concordia, but I don't think anyone esle would have come to Grambling.

We have negotiated with Northwestern, but that hasn't come to fruition. I think Grambling wants a neutral site and the Demons might want a home and home. Not sure on that one, but I do know that Grambling would prefer that one in Shreveport if anywhere. Rumors had it that we were negotiating with ULM but that hasn't panned out either. But I do know that Grambling isn't afraid to play anyone...why should we be. It's football, blocking and tackling. We do that just like you guys...better than most of yall. But that's my opinion, just like you have yours.

I can tell you this though... it ain't got nothing to do with trying to be isolationist. It's more a matter of scheduling difficulties which isn't made any easier because of the 9 game mandate. With the limitations, we have to try and schedule what makes the most sense (cents) for Grambling. Teams from the MEAC are natural opponents because of the cultural aspect of the fanbase...that's just the way it is. Grambling would be naive and foolish not to take advantage of such an opportunity.

April 21st, 2006, 01:09 AM
????????

Why is my input smack and Texas Terrorist garbage informing the 1-AA family.

You know we are watching don't you.Just seems you are whacking at a lot of schools... just smiling/grimacing at the teams you are calling out and the info.

mikebigg
April 21st, 2006, 01:19 AM

Who the hell is Sam Houston State to be demanding respect from anyone? Even with the automatic bid for your conference you've been to the playoffs less than Grambling. Well, I would think so... I really can't say because the week of the playoffs, I'm preoccupied with the Bayou Classic. Now that is not a slam on the playoffs, but for obvious reasons my attention isn't anywhere near the playoffs.

That makes me wanna ask two guestions: (1) Why are you so obsessed with those things pertaining to Grambling? (2) Given SHSU's tendency to NOT make the playoffs, if you had the opportunity to play TxState every year in the Alamodome with 55K fans (about 10K less than the BC, but still a respectable number), what would you choose?

April 21st, 2006, 01:47 AM
mikebigg, the Bayou is scheduled as an event every year on the same weekend so it's a lot different than a playoff game that depends on the schools involved. So you can't compare the two really. Right? Am I confused again?

Tribe4SF
April 21st, 2006, 05:52 AM
Any way you cut it, Hampton vs. Grambling is a great matchup. This is a true CLASSIC, with the best of the MEAC and SWAC. Wish I could be there, but I'll be tailgating at Byrd Stadium in College Park, Md. when they kickoff.

Go Pirates!
Go Tribe!

TexasTerror
April 21st, 2006, 07:01 AM
Who the hell is Sam Houston State to be demanding respect from anyone? Even with the automatic bid for your conference you've been to the playoffs less than Grambling.

:nono:

Grambling - 3 playoff appearances (80, 85, 89) - two of which were before SHSU was even a full member of I-AA, which came in '86. Grambling went 0-2 against SLC schools in those three appearances, all losses.

SHSU - 86, 91, 01, 04. Four appearances. This includes QF and SF appearances in the two last appearances, respectively. In '86, Kats lost to eventual runner-up.

That makes me wanna ask two guestions: (1) Why are you so obsessed with those things pertaining to Grambling? (2) Given SHSU's tendency to NOT make the playoffs, if you had the opportunity to play TxState every year in the Alamodome with 55K fans (about 10K less than the BC, but still a respectable number), what would you choose?

1. Not thrilled when folks from Grambling present themselves as they are best team in the country when in recent years, they have no reason to be stating as such, especially when they are arguably not even the top HBCU in the country. It's like you have an unjustified "swagger" with nothing to back it up.

It's comparable to being the SWAC golf champion and thinking your something special. Always nice to win a championship, but when you just beat teams that went 600 over par, it really doesn't look that impressive. Now that you beat Blowout St and Slaughter A&M, it's time to prove your ability against some real competition which the SWAC refuses to do by restricting teams to the nine-game mandate.

2. TxState-San Marcos is not even SHSU's top rival (since your eluding to the big rivalry of SU-Grambling). If you poll SHSU students, alums, players, etc it's overwhelming in who our rival is. It's a complete misconception that the 'Cats are our rival. A better option would be SHSU vs SFA in Reliant Stadium considering both are within two-ish hours of Houston and have large alumni bases in the Houston area (as seen by SHSU representing a large part of the attendance at UH's largest attended football game).

Would I be for doing it in a 55k stadium? Of course, if it meant more $$$ to our athletic department, especially if our athletic department knew how to spend it properly. :hurray:

GannonFan
April 21st, 2006, 08:41 AM
During the 70's Alabama State, UAPB, and AAMU were not in the conference...that gave us a chance to play the Temples, Oregon States, SMUs, Long Beach State, Univ of Hawaii, etc in Classic matchups. We also played Tn State, occassionally FAMU, Boston University, etc in games that were huge gates for us. With the addition of the three new conference members (and the 9 game MANDATE), we can't afford to schedule home and homes with the teams you mentioned instead of trying to get a Classic game or 1A payday. We played Concordia, but I don't think anyone esle would have come to Grambling.

We have negotiated with Northwestern, but that hasn't come to fruition. I think Grambling wants a neutral site and the Demons might want a home and home. Not sure on that one, but I do know that Grambling would prefer that one in Shreveport if anywhere. Rumors had it that we were negotiating with ULM but that hasn't panned out either. But I do know that Grambling isn't afraid to play anyone...why should we be. It's football, blocking and tackling. We do that just like you guys...better than most of yall. But that's my opinion, just like you have yours.

I can tell you this though... it ain't got nothing to do with trying to be isolationist. It's more a matter of scheduling difficulties which isn't made any easier because of the 9 game mandate. With the limitations, we have to try and schedule what makes the most sense (cents) for Grambling. Teams from the MEAC are natural opponents because of the cultural aspect of the fanbase...that's just the way it is. Grambling would be naive and foolish not to take advantage of such an opportunity.

Thanks, I certainly appreciate Grambling's disadvantage with the 9 game mandate (and that a good majority of SWAC fans don't like it either). With regards to OOC scheduling I never begrudge anybody a game against a patsy as well so I have no problem with the Concordia game - I think everyone is allowed one patsy. And I appreciate that Grambling's primary concern with scheduling is to make money - thus leading to a diminished opponent pool and the desire for neutral site games - they've never been shy about saying that and it's obviously an important aspect of their football program. It's unfortunate, though, that those scheduling concerns lead to a reality that Grambling rarely measures itself against the better teams in IAA. I'm sure a lot of people on these boards would like to see how Grambling would fare, in their better years, against top level competition, but reality is what it is and right now that won't happen very often.

HIU 93
April 21st, 2006, 08:57 AM
It's the fact there are folks who claim their team is one of the best, have players, coachs and fans that constantly reiterate such claims and have frankly, done "nothing" to back it up on the field...

Done nothing? Excuse me, but for 20 years, Eddie Robinson, former Grambling Head Coach, held the record for most wins in football, at ANY level, EVER. Grambling has sent more players to the pros than MOST schools, regardless of division. Pete Rozelle (NFL Commissioner from 1960-1989) called Grambling an ICON, just like Notre Dame and Michigan. Did he say that about ANY SLC teams? What about SOCON? A-10? Gateway? I'll answer that. Hell no. Grambling has earned the right to celebrate their football team and its history. They are a very serious football school. I know exactly what you are mad about, and I know exactly what you are going to say when I tell you what you are mad about. You, and anyone else on here who hates Grambling, the SWAC in general, the MEAC, and HBCUs in general are mad because Black folks aren't supposed to be arrogant and proud. We aren't supposed to walk with our heads up. Anything we have we are supposed to bow, be humble, and give you credit for, even when you had NOTHING to do with it. Are you ready for what you and many like you will now say? "I'm not prejudiced HIU 93, you are." Sound about right? I will now wait for the drivel which you will type in response.

TexasTerror
April 21st, 2006, 08:57 AM
It's unfortunate, though, that those scheduling concerns lead to a reality that Grambling rarely measures itself against the better teams in IAA. I'm sure a lot of people on these boards would like to see how Grambling would fare, in their better years, against top level competition, but reality is what it is and right now that won't happen very often.

And that pretty much sums up all that needs to be said...

mikebigg
April 21st, 2006, 11:14 PM
mikebigg, the Bayou is scheduled as an event every year on the same weekend so it's a lot different than a playoff game that depends on the schools involved. So you can't compare the two really. Right? Am I confused again?

Maybe I wasn't as clear as I intended...Let's Consider a scenario:

A sponsor offers SHSU an opportunity to play a Classic game in Texas Stadium against TxState on Thanksgiving Weekend. Let's say the deal is for $500K per team and is guaranteed for 5 years. Then if NCAA tells them that they will not be eligible for the playoffs unless they move the date, would your cancel the Classic game?

mikebigg
April 21st, 2006, 11:28 PM
Done nothing? Excuse me, but for 20 years, Eddie Robinson, former Grambling Head Coach, held the record for most wins in football, at ANY level, EVER. Grambling has sent more players to the pros than MOST schools, regardless of division. Pete Rozelle (NFL Commissioner from 1960-1989) called Grambling an ICON, just like Notre Dame and Michigan. Did he say that about ANY SLC teams? What about SOCON? A-10? Gateway? I'll answer that. Hell no. Grambling has earned the right to celebrate their football team and its history. They are a very serious football school. I know exactly what you are mad about, and I know exactly what you are going to say when I tell you what you are mad about. You, and anyone else on here who hates Grambling, the SWAC in general, the MEAC, and HBCUs in general are mad because Black folks aren't supposed to be arrogant and proud. We aren't supposed to walk with our heads up. Anything we have we are supposed to bow, be humble, and give you credit for, even when you had NOTHING to do with it. Are you ready for what you and many like you will now say? "I'm not prejudiced HIU 93, you are." Sound about right? I will now wait for the drivel which you will type in response.

Well said...the great thing about being a Gramblinite and a Grambling fan is that I don't even have to be concerned with disliking someone else's school. Actually that's kinda mild...what I really feel is :I'm from Grambling and I DGAF!!!"

Catmendue2
April 22nd, 2006, 04:52 AM
^^^^^^^YEAH WHAT HE SAID!:hurray: :hurray:

TexasTerror
April 22nd, 2006, 06:44 AM
A sponsor offers SHSU an opportunity to play a Classic game in Texas Stadium against TxState on Thanksgiving Weekend. Let's say the deal is for $500K per team and is guaranteed for 5 years. Then if NCAA tells them that they will not be eligible for the playoffs unless they move the date, would your cancel the Classic game?

Yes, you would considering SHSU can compete for a national championship, which should be the ultimate goal of the I-AA football program, one of the few at Sam that have a chance to compete for any national honors in Division I...since we don't have bowling! ;)

mikebigg
April 22nd, 2006, 12:29 PM
Yes, you would considering SHSU can compete for a national championship, which should be the ultimate goal of the I-AA football program, one of the few at Sam that have a chance to compete for any national honors in Division I...since we don't have bowling! ;)

Well that's cool... It's easy for me to respect your right to have an opinion on what's best for YOUR school and its football program. What makes it really easy is that I DGAF what yall do over their in Huntsville (as long as it doesnt directly impact Grambling). Enjoy your opportunity to go to the playoffs...I'll be watching the Bayou Classic that weekend. Guess it boils down to "To Each His Own".

Catmendue2
April 22nd, 2006, 01:07 PM
:nod: :nod:
Well that's cool... It's easy for me to respect your right to have an opinion on what's best for YOUR school and its football program. What makes it really easy is that I DGAF what yall do over their in Huntsville (as long as it doesnt directly impact Grambling). Enjoy your opportunity to go to the playoffs...I'll be watching the Bayou Classic that weekend. Guess it boils down to "To Each His Own".

Preach Bruh Preach!xlolx :hurray:

April 22nd, 2006, 01:21 PM
... anyone else on here who hates Grambling, the SWAC in general, the MEAC, and HBCUs in general...That's about 0% of the members here so why worry about it?

SU Jag
April 22nd, 2006, 02:10 PM

Amen!:bow: :bow: You just told it like it was!:bow:

April 22nd, 2006, 02:24 PM
... Black folks aren't supposed to be arrogant and proud. We aren't supposed to walk with our heads up. Anything we have we are supposed to bow, be humble, and give you credit for, even when you had NOTHING to do with it...Sounds paranoid and assumptive. Playing race cards where no evidence of race is present. Basically inflamatory and divisive statements that have nothing to do with football.:nonono2:

mikebigg
April 22nd, 2006, 02:45 PM
Sounds paranoid and assumptive. Playing race cards where no evidence of race is present. Basically inflamatory and divisive statements that have nothing to do with football.:nonono2:

Ralph,

Surely you've noticed how certain groups of posters go out of their way to belittle any and everything that has to do with HBCU's in general and Grambling/The SWAC in particular. I won't pull punches, Texas Terror seems obsessed with anything that has to do with Grambling and HBCU's and puts a negative spin on 98% of the things he posts. He's not alone, but he's the most persistent.

In a recent post, he mentioned that he dislikes "how the fans of HBCU's talk about their teams and has so much swagger"... Now if that isn't a bunch of horse****! How dare someone think that they can tell a fan how to feel about their school? But just as important is to ask WHY? Why does it bother him so much that we post about our schools? So what if our playoff record isn't good or that our team (Grambling in particular) won't change it's schedule to appease the NCAA playoff requirements. Isn't that our right to schedule our games and conduct our business as we deem in our best interest? I have my opinion of why we're not in the playoffs. TT (and others) have their opinions on why we don't participate. But regardless of what they think is the reason, does that prompt the negative attitude that's been expressed our way.

I respect you Ralph...and I appreciate your efforts to make this board for ALL of 1AA. But when we come on and say positive things about our teams, when we post articles about the going-ons at our school, when we are happy with a conference win, the putdowns and ridicule intensifies. When we openly question if its racially motivated, we get accused of playing the race card. Trust me... it's not "playing" at all, it's a matter of being seriously defensive. We have to be!!!!!!!

SU Jag
April 22nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
Sounds paranoid and assumptive. Playing race cards where no evidence of race is present. Basically inflamatory and divisive statements that have nothing to do with football.:nonono2:

Thats not playing the race card,thats how many HBCU alumni, students, parents, coaches, and anyone else associated with a HBCU feels at times! Its real! You're right it has nothing to do with football, but sports has played a vital road in this country's past in breaking down the walls of racism. But we still aint there, we're still are not to the point where we should be! Many whites still look down on HBCUs, to this day! HBCUs are some of the best schools in the US but we still struggle to get the approval from white America. I've heard statements like, "oh its just black college", and "its not really college" from uneducated people(mainly white) who make ignorant statements about black institutions. Everytime a HBCU has stepped up to the plate and done anything positive, someone comes up with the cheap jokes or any type of negativity to try to cut us down. Everything, from the ESPN GameDay at the Bayou Classic, to Grambling, to the Magic City Classic, to the television apperances, to just about anything, someone has something negative to say. And it just didnt start today, it didnt start last year, its been going on since black people said the hell with this, we'll make it our own way! Its not a race card, its the truth and sometimes people dont want to hear it. This is deeper than football, its about life! Most of the players at the other 1-AA are black players! How would you think they would feel about the constant slamming down of black institutions, exspecially since most of their parents attended HBCUs, most of the grew up watching HBCU football, most of them have family and friends attending HBCUs right now! Once again its not a card, its the truth! xcoffeex

TexasTerror
April 22nd, 2006, 03:11 PM
I respect you Ralph...and I appreciate your efforts to make this board for ALL of 1AA. But when we come on and say positive things about our teams, when we post articles about the going-ons at our school, when we are happy with a conference win, the putdowns and ridicule intensifies. When we openly question if its racially motivated, we get accused of playing the race card. Trust me... it's not "playing" at all, it's a matter of being seriously defensive. We have to be!!!!!!!

Don't forget, we're not allowed to post articles about HBCUs in I-AA whether it's of note (such as something involving an HBCU AD, which considering the "twist and shouts" of Div I restructuring, could be a big deal) or not...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9478

Keep in mind, that's not the first time I got scolded for posting about an HBCU, whether good or bad...

April 22nd, 2006, 03:50 PM
...Surely you've noticed how certain groups of posters go out of their way to belittle any and everything that has to do with HBCU's in general and Grambling/The SWAC in particular. ... But just as important is to ask WHY? ...But regardless of what they think is the reason, does that prompt the negative attitude that's been expressed our way... When we openly question if its racially motivated, we get accused of playing the race card. Trust me... it's not "playing" at all, it's a matter of being seriously defensive. We have to be!!!!!!!I notice "how certain groups of posters go out of their way to belittle" and roll my eyes at it. WHY is where it gets presumptive and why HIU's race card was wildly out of line.
... anyone else on here who hates Grambling, the SWAC in general, the MEAC, and HBCUs in general are mad because Black folks aren't supposed to be arrogant and proud. We aren't supposed to walk with our heads up. Anything we have we are supposed to bow, be humble, and give you credit for, even when you had NOTHING to do with it....It's hard to read intent from other member's posts and caution is always wise. To say point blank that not liking a team is because of the color of their skin without provocation is playing that race card.

BACK ON TOPIC>>>> Score predictions anyone?

mikebigg
April 22nd, 2006, 10:48 PM

Can't make a valid objective prediction right now...don't really know much about the personnel of this particular Hampton team. I do know that traditionally they are tough and play sound aggressive defense. Coach Taylor is a veteran coach who always has his teams prepared.

Grambling is replacing a very prolific passer in Bruce Eugene...it remains to be seen if the same offense will be ran with Landers/Kerlegan. i think Spears will still lean to the passing game...our receivers are playmakers. We have Ab Kuuan and (if healthy) Ruben Mays plus some other good backs.

It will be a game of styles...hopefully our game plan will win out.

nickderiso
April 23rd, 2006, 12:45 AM
:nono:

Grambling - 3 playoff appearances (80, 85, 89) - two of which were before SHSU was even a full member of I-AA, which came in '86. Grambling went 0-2 against SLC schools in those three appearances, all losses.

Grambling's post-season record isn't limited to the I-AA playoffs.

Left out of this conversation so far are GSU's post-season appearances previous to this format. Football didn't begin in 1980.

In the Division II playoffs of the 1970s, the precursor to the I-AA bracket, Grambling beat Delaware 17-8 in the first round in 1973. This was known as the Boardwalk Bowl.

Grambling then advanced to the Grantland Rice Bowl, which was the game that helped Louisiana Tech's Terry Bradshaw earn a first-round NFL Draft pick three seasons earlier. There, the Tigers lost to Western Kentucky 28-20 in '73.

After the 1972 and '74 seasons, Grambling won the Pelican Bowl, against North Carolina Central and then South Carolina State.

In 1968, GSU beat Sacramento State 34-7 in the Pasadena Bowl, which was then commonly referred to as the Little Rose Bowl. A future Pro Football Hall of Famer named Charlie Joiner was the MVP.

In 1965, Grambling would lose to North Dakota State in the Pecan Bowl, 20-7.

All were NCAA-sanctioned at the time, as are today's I-AA playoffs. So, they count.

The corrected tally is 4-5 in NCAA post-season play, dating back to 1965.

MACHIAVELLI
April 23rd, 2006, 01:08 AM
Ralph,

Surely you've noticed how certain groups of posters go out of their way to belittle any and everything that has to do with HBCU's in general and Grambling/The SWAC in particular. I won't pull punches, Texas Terrorist (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?terror04.wav=terrorist) seems obsessed with anything that has to do with Grambling and HBCU's and puts a negative spin on 98% of the things he posts. He's not alone, but he's the most persistent.

In a recent post, he mentioned that he dislikes "how the fans of HBCU's talk about their teams and has so much swagger"... Now if that isn't a bunch of horse****! How dare someone think that they can tell a fan how to feel about their school? But just as important is to ask WHY? Why does it bother him so much that we post about our schools? So what if our playoff record isn't good or that our team (Grambling in particular) won't change it's schedule to appease the NCAA playoff requirements. Isn't that our right to schedule our games and conduct our business as we deem in our best interest? I have my opinion of why we're not in the playoffs. TT (and others) have their opinions on why we don't participate. But regardless of what they think is the reason, does that prompt the negative attitude that's been expressed our way.

Yeah...What he said. It makes you not want to visit this site or post anymore.

Tribe4SF
April 23rd, 2006, 07:18 AM
Can't make a valid objective prediction right now...don't really know much about the personnel of this particular Hampton team. I do know that traditionally they are tough and play sound aggressive defense. Coach Taylor is a veteran coach who always has his teams prepared.

Grambling is replacing a very prolific passer in Bruce Eugene...it remains to be seen if the same offense will be ran with Landers/Kerlegan. i think Spears will still lean to the passing game...our receivers are playmakers. We have Ab Kuuan and (if healthy) Ruben Mays plus some other good backs.

It will be a game of styles...hopefully our game plan will win out.

Hampton has a new offensive coordinator, and will likely throw the ball more this year. Their ground game will again be strong, and I still expect the run to dominate. Their defense should be improved from a very good group last year. They also have an excellent PK in Andrew Paterini. Personnel wise, they look as good, or better, than last year.

Early line: Hampton 31 Grambling 21

Catmendue2
April 23rd, 2006, 12:15 PM

Left out of this conversation so far are GSU's post-season appearances previous to this format. Football didn't begin in 1980.

In the Division II playoffs of the 1970s, the precursor to the I-AA bracket, Grambling beat Delaware 17-8 in the first round in 1973. This was known as the Boardwalk Bowl.

Grambling then advanced to the Grantland Rice Bowl, which was the game that helped Louisiana Tech's Terry Bradshaw earn a first-round NFL Draft pick three seasons earlier. There, the Tigers lost to Western Kentucky 28-20 in '73.

After the 1972 and '74 seasons, Grambling won the Pelican Bowl, against North Carolina Central and then South Carolina State.

In 1968, GSU beat Sacramento State 34-7 in the Pasadena Bowl, which was then commonly referred to as the Little Rose Bowl. A future Pro Football Hall of Famer named Charlie Joiner was the MVP.

In 1965, Grambling would lose to North Dakota State in the Pecan Bowl, 20-7.

All were NCAA-sanctioned at the time, as are today's I-AA playoffs. So, they count.

The corrected tally is 4-5 in NCAA post-season play, dating back to 1965.

Nick, I have stated this many times in the past and some still don't get it.

I predict that Hampton won't be able to keep up and will be blownout by the Gmen and the World fame:hurray:

Tribe4SF
April 23rd, 2006, 01:30 PM
I predict that Hampton won't be able to keep up and will be blownout by the Gmen and the World fame:hurray:

Obviously you know even less about Hampton than MikeBigg.: retard :

April 23rd, 2006, 01:32 PM

Left out of this conversation so far are GSU's post-season appearances previous to this format. Football didn't begin in 1980...LOL, but on the I-AA discussion board there tends to be discussion about I-AA which began in 1978... xlolx :smiley_wi

nickderiso
April 23rd, 2006, 05:45 PM
LOL, but on the I-AA discussion board there tends to be discussion about I-AA which began in 1978... xlolx :smiley_wi

Wins by current I-AA programs that took place before 1978 aren't part of the discussion here?

Better take Eddie Robinson off your all-time coaches list, then. That means he only won 138 games.

:confused:

April 23rd, 2006, 06:15 PM
Wins by current I-AA programs that took place before 1978 aren't part of the discussion here?
Better take Eddie Robinson off your all-time coaches list, then. That means he only won 138 games. :confused:Wellllllllllllll, now that you mention it... Coach Rob isn't a legendary coach of I-AA for his win total here. I think it is pretty accepted his best years were not in I-AA. He is the only I-AA coach who is on the NCAA's 100 most important list... for things other than I-AA wins. This is the "I-AA Discussion Board" though. Pre I-AA/D-II/III/NAIA/etc. have never really counted for much here. It's a genre board. :)

Catmendue2
April 23rd, 2006, 09:10 PM
Obviously you know even less about Hampton than MikeBigg.: retard :

I know plenty about the GMEN and DGAF about Hampton.:hurray:

Catmendue2
April 23rd, 2006, 09:14 PM
The 1-AA was created for Grambling and to Keep Doug Williams from becoming the 1978 Heisman Trophy winner.:D

I know some are gonna say I am crazy, but I witness the whole process.:D

April 23rd, 2006, 11:42 PM
...I know some are gonna say I am crazy...Ya think?????? :D :D :D :eek: :eek: xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :rotateh: :rotateh: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :cool: :doh:

April 23rd, 2006, 11:51 PM
Doug Williams' last NCAA year was 1977, he was drafted in spring 1978. He, like Payton and Buchanan never played I-AA. Or am I just confused again? :)

mikebigg
April 24th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Doug Williams' last NCAA year was 1977, he was drafted in spring 1978. He, like Payton and Buchanan never played I-AA. Or am I just confused again? :)

You are correct...but Catmendue's post has some validity (sorta/kinda). Doug Williams was first team All-American at qb over Guy Benjamin of Stanford in either the AP or UPI poll. Whichever one that carried the "official" image as being the real All-American team. Some critics were upset because Grambling wasn't considered a major college. Despite the obstacles he faced at Tampa Bay, I think it's clear that Doug had the better pro career. Not surprising since he WAS the better collegiate player as well.

Tribe4SF
April 24th, 2006, 05:59 AM
I know plenty about the GMEN and DGAF about Hampton.:hurray:

OK then!!!xlolx :rotateh: xlolx :rotateh: xlolx :rotateh:

So tell me, how do you see the GMEN's second game against Houston?

HIU 93
April 24th, 2006, 07:56 AM
I notice "how certain groups of posters go out of their way to belittle" and roll my eyes at it. WHY is where it gets presumptive and why HIU's race card was wildly out of line.It's hard to read intent from other member's posts and caution is always wise. To say point blank that not liking a team is because of the color of their skin without provocation is playing that race card.

Without provocation? I try to give you credit Ralph, I really do. When you say things like this, however, I have to question whether or not I should place you in the same category as Texas Terror and the others. I CHOSE not to mention names. I did not want to make this post a pissing contest between myself and a couple of other posters. I will mention names- if you are still offended, and you feel I still don't have a right to my opinion (based SOLELY on fact- the statements of others on this board) then I can add you to the list (since you seem to want to be there so badly). Currently- the list is Texas Terror and txst02. In the past it has been AppGuy04, bandl, Cap'nCat, D1B, and many others I can't remember right now. If you want only Black folk on this site that cow-tow to you and your opinions, or to sit back and allow ourselves to be attacked by those listed above or others who have a blatant dislike for HBCUs and Black folk in general, then ban me right now. I am not going to cowtow to you, Texas Terror, or anyone else that thinks they can disrespect me, my folk, or my schools.

MACHIAVELLI
April 24th, 2006, 08:43 AM
BET reality show highlights GSU football team, band

April 24, 2006

By Jordan Blum
[email protected]

Reality television and all the publicity -- good and bad -- that comes with it will bring Grambling State University to a national audience when "Season of the Tiger" premieres Thursday on the BET network.

The six-episode dramatic documentary focuses on the GSU football team and marching band and their daily lives from homecoming to the Bayou Classic.

GSU junior LaShonda "Shunnie" Harris, bandmaster drill sergeant, is one of five students prominently featured in the series. Despite experiencing drama as a female drill sergeant and some clashes with band Director Larry Pannell, Harris said she is eager to see the first show."It was a lot of fun, and I'm excited about it."

Star Grambling quarterback Bruce Eugene, whose college career has now ended, was a natural choice for one of the five student stars."I'm looking forward to it," Eugene said.

But not everyone is thrilled about the show. Just the fact BET promotional material describes Pannell as the "admittedly chauvinist band director" -- a notion he disputes -- leaves him cautious, but optimistic about the show.

"When you have a camera one inch from your face all year, you don't know what footage they'll show," he said. "It's like a man with his wife; not every day is 'I love you.'"

Executive Producer Jesse Scaccia of Daftfilms said he always had GSU in mind when he pitched the show to BET.

If you watch
WHAT: "Season of the Tiger"
WHEN: Premieres at 8:30 p.m. Thursday on BET.
IF YOU MISS IT: Encore telecasts are at 12:30 a.m. Thursdays, 6:30 p.m. Saturdays and 9 p.m. Tuesdays.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060424/NEWS01/604240317/1002/NEWS

Catmendue2
April 24th, 2006, 09:25 AM
You are correct...but Catmendue's post has some validity (sorta/kinda). Doug Williams was first team All-American at qb over Guy Benjamin of Stanford in either the AP or UPI poll. Whichever one that carried the "official" image as being the real All-American team. Some critics were upset because Grambling wasn't considered a major college. Despite the obstacles he faced at Tampa Bay, I think it's clear that Doug had the better pro career. Not surprising since he WAS the better collegiate player as well.

Even though Grambling was a valid Division 1 Football playing school, and so was other HBCUs at the time. I was just making the point that 1-AA was invented for the SWAC and others, now its seems like we are just pieces of a dream.:nod:

MACHIAVELLI
April 24th, 2006, 09:36 AM
BET reality show highlights GSU football team, band

April 24, 2006

By Jordan Blum
[email protected]

Reality television and all the publicity -- good and bad -- that comes with it will bring Grambling State University to a national audience when "Season of the Tiger" premieres Thursday on the BET network.

The six-episode dramatic documentary focuses on the GSU football team and marching band and their daily lives from homecoming to the Bayou Classic.

GSU junior LaShonda "Shunnie" Harris, bandmaster drill sergeant, is one of five students prominently featured in the series. Despite experiencing drama as a female drill sergeant and some clashes with band Director Larry Pannell, Harris said she is eager to see the first show."It was a lot of fun, and I'm excited about it."

Star Grambling quarterback Bruce Eugene, whose college career has now ended, was a natural choice for one of the five student stars."I'm looking forward to it," Eugene said.

But not everyone is thrilled about the show. Just the fact BET promotional material describes Pannell as the "admittedly chauvinist band director" -- a notion he disputes -- leaves him cautious, but optimistic about the show.

"When you have a camera one inch from your face all year, you don't know what footage they'll show," he said. "It's like a man with his wife; not every day is 'I love you.'"

Executive Producer Jesse Scaccia of Daftfilms said he always had GSU in mind when he pitched the show to BET.

If you watch
WHAT: "Season of the Tiger"
WHEN: Premieres at 8:30 p.m. Thursday on BET.
IF YOU MISS IT: Encore telecasts are at 12:30 a.m. Thursdays, 6:30 p.m. Saturdays and 9 p.m. Tuesdays.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...0317/1002/NEWS