View Full Version : Don't look now, but... North Dakota!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Fightin's 22, Bulldogs 21, start of 4th

Squealofthepig
September 17th, 2011, 11:34 PM
ESPN's gamecast is all horked for me; anyone watching the game that can give us updates?

Go Fighting Sioux!

Squealofthepig
September 17th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Looks like Fresno State managed to punch it in; two point conversion failed. Fresno State now leads 27-22, 9:00 or so to go in the fourth, UND ball.

MSUDuo
September 17th, 2011, 11:36 PM
27-22 Fresno

UND with the ball at their own 38 with 7 minutes to go

Squealofthepig
September 17th, 2011, 11:44 PM
A long drive, but with 3:30 left, UND forced to pooch punt. Fresno State ball at their own 11, 3:22 to go.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/23282_337866754301_5212_n.jpg

Squealofthepig
September 17th, 2011, 11:54 PM
And, sigh. Fresno State get enough first downs to run out the clock. A great, great effort by UND - and, even while a loss, one of the five most impressive showings of the weekend in my book.

DJKyR0
September 17th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Fresno ices it and escape with the win. Loathe though I am to credit UND, they played tough against a team their fans expected to get blown out by. Played much better than at Idaho.

Keep your eyes on Minneapolis next week to see how it's really done. :)

Go Bison
September 18th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Got to give UND credit for making it a game in the 2nd half. Nice showing by the Sioux.

frozennorth
September 18th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Not to brag or anything, but I called a UND victory. Still think they are in for a 3-8 season and still think they are an awful team with an awful coach.

TheBisonator
September 18th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Not to brag or anything, but I called a UND victory. Still think they are in for a 3-8 season and still think they are an awful team with an awful coach.

The team itself looked pretty good tonight, but I agree, you have an AWFUL coach.

bisonwest
September 18th, 2011, 11:16 AM

I disagree. I think their showing in this game will only give them confidence. You don't just go in and play tight with a good team like Fresno without having something there. It may just not have been fully realized up to this point. I'm not saying that they are going to run the table or anything but the Sioux will win more than 3 games this season. Probably more like 6 games, which would be quite an improvement.

Squealofthepig
September 18th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I'm not saying that they are going to run the table or anything but the Sioux will win more than 3 games this season. Probably more like 6 games, which would be quite an improvement.

Gotta agree; they're 1-2 (and man, I tried to include them in my ballot this week, but a loss still is a loss...) But for the rest of the year, the Fightin' Sioux have:

vs. Black Hills State
at Southern Utah (I give the Thunderbirds the edge here)
vs. Montana Western
vs. Cal Poly
at Northern Colorado
vs. Sioux Falls
at UC Davis
vs. South Dakota

Montana Western, Black Hills State and Sioux Falls should be gimmes, which gets 'em to four wins. North Colorado is a possible road win (if they play like they did vs. Fresno State), and I can easily see them winning either the Cal Poly or South Dakota home games. If they can win at SUU or UC Davis, that's just gravy.

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2011, 12:12 PM
and I can easily see them winning either the Cal Poly or South Dakota home games. If they can win at SUU or UC Davis, that's just gravy.

you can see them easily beating Cal Poly or South Dakota? I wouldn't list them as the favorite in either of those games at this point, let alone say they could win either of them easily. Just curious on your reasoning there. :)

Squealofthepig
September 18th, 2011, 12:16 PM
you can see them easily beating Cal Poly or South Dakota? I wouldn't list them as the favorite in either of those games at this point, let alone say they could win either of them easily. Just curious on your reasoning there. :)

No no, let me clarify - I don't mean I can see them easily winning, I can just imagine scenarios where they win one or the other game. Very important distinction and sloppy wording on my part. Let me try again: It wouldn't be a surprise to me if they won either of those home games vs. some good competition, based on how well they played Fresno State.

Thanks for keepin' me honest there!

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2011, 12:19 PM
No no, let me clarify - I don't mean I can see them easily winning, I can just imagine scenarios where they win one or the other game. Very important distinction and sloppy wording on my part. Let me try again: It wouldn't be a surprise to me if they won either of those home games vs. some good competition, based on how well they played Fresno State.

Thanks for keepin' me honest there!

That's why I asked. I thought maybe that's what you meant. No need to "keep you honest", just curious what your thoughts were. :)

Thundar
September 18th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Gotta agree; they're 1-2 (and man, I tried to include them in my ballot this week, but a loss still is a loss...) But for the rest of the year, the Fightin' Sioux have:

vs. Black Hills State
vs. Montana Western
vs. Cal Poly
at Northern Colorado
vs. Sioux Falls
at UC Davis
vs. South Dakota

Montana Western, Black Hills State and Sioux Falls should be gimmes, which gets 'em to four wins. North Colorado is a possible road win (if they play like they did vs. Fresno State), and I can easily see them winning either the Cal Poly or South Dakota home games. If they can win at SUU or UC Davis, that's just gravy.

FYI Sioux Falls beat them 2 years ago

frozennorth
September 18th, 2011, 12:46 PM

vs. Black Hills State
vs. Montana Western
vs. Cal Poly
at Northern Colorado
vs. Sioux Falls
at UC Davis
vs. South Dakota

This sioux will drop at least one of the naia/d2 games. Northern colorado will be their next best shot at a W.

Squealofthepig
September 18th, 2011, 01:04 PM
FYI Sioux Falls beat them 2 years ago

Good point - so maybe not gimmes, but still winnable. Just saying six wins looks more reasonable than three, but time will tell!

darell1976
September 18th, 2011, 01:34 PM
UND's first test will be the SUU game. UND needs to prove they can win on the road. They will win the NAIA games no doubt about that. If they can beat the Thunderbirds and UC Davis on the road UND will WIN the GWFC. UND althought historically not great at UNC going back to the DII days should beat the Bears. UND will finish the year 9-2. This almost win by UND vs Fresno did restore confidence in the team. You don't travel to Southern Cal, beating a FBS team (that joins the Mountain West next season) until 9:14 left in the game only to come home and lose to Sioux Falls or Montana Western? This team is out to prove something and barring serious injury they will. UND almost beat Northern Illinois last year on the same scenario had a chance to win late only to lose by 5. This team is hungry for respect and if they crush Black Hills State 90-0 (which I hope since I will be there), their respect will start in Cedar City, Utah.

frozennorth
September 18th, 2011, 01:40 PM
UND's first test will be the SUU game. UND needs to prove they can win on the road. They will win the NAIA games no doubt about that. If they can beat the Thunderbirds and UC Davis on the road UND will WIN the GWFC. UND althought historically not great at UNC going back to the DII days should beat the Bears. UND will finish the year 9-2. This almost win by UND vs Fresno did restore confidence in the team. You don't travel to Southern Cal, beating a FBS team (that joins the Mountain West next season) until 9:14 left in the game only to come home and lose to Sioux Falls or Montana Western? This team is out to prove something and barring serious injury they will. UND almost beat Northern Illinois last year on the same scenario had a chance to win late only to lose by 5. This team is hungry for respect and if they crush Black Hills State 90-0 (which I hope since I will be there), their respect will start in Cedar City, Utah.

How high are you?

darell1976
September 18th, 2011, 01:45 PM
How high are you?

Why?

Squealofthepig
September 18th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I think he means a 9-2 prediction seems a bit... overzealous. (While possible, I would bet against UND finishing 9-2; but I'd also bet against them finishing 3-8 too).

darell1976
September 18th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I think he means a 9-2 prediction seems a bit... overzealous. (While possible, I would bet against UND finishing 9-2; but I'd also bet against them finishing 3-8 too).

I just said that if UND plays these teams like they did against FSU. 3 wins vs NAIA teams, wins at home to USD, and Cal Poly (Sioux beat both in 2009), a win at SUU (UND beat them as a DII in 2006) and at UC Davis (UND hasn't beaten them since moving to DI), and at UNC (former conference foe). So if they keep up the thrill and excitement they could be 9-2 but fans would be fine with 7-4 depending on what 2 we lose too.

jacksfan29
September 18th, 2011, 02:09 PM

vs. Black Hills State - W
at Southern Utah - L
vs. Montana Western - W
vs. Cal Poly - L
at Northern Colorado - W
vs. Sioux Falls - W
at UC Davis - L
vs. South Dakota - L

There you go, 5 - 6 record; last in the GWFC but they will still finish with a better record then my Jacks. Of course we aren't playing BHSU, USF, Drake and Mont Western but in the history books no one will look back and care.

frozennorth
September 18th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I just said that if UND plays these teams like they did against FSU. 3 wins vs NAIA teams, wins at home to USD, and Cal Poly (Sioux beat both in 2009), a win at SUU (UND beat them as a DII in 2006) and at UC Davis (UND hasn't beaten them since moving to DI), and at UNC (former conference foe). So if they keep up the thrill and excitement they could be 9-2 but fans would be fine with 7-4 depending on what 2 we lose too.
Fresno played down to UND, UND didn't play up to fresno.

darell1976
September 18th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Fresno played down to UND, UND didn't play up to fresno.

What a crock of sh-t!!!! Why would Fresno play down to UND?? UND is a DI team and it counts towards a bowl game, why would they piss that away? Face it UND came to play and gave it all they got to prove a point that they can stay competitive. Are you saying last year Nebraska played down to South Dakota State since it was 17-3? Or Michigan played down to App State. I bet Kansas played down to NDSU last year just like Minnesota will play down to NDSU on Saturday. No offense but that is most stupid comment I have ever heard!!!xlolxxlolx

darell1976
September 18th, 2011, 02:31 PM
at Southern Utah - L
vs. Montana Western - W
vs. Cal Poly - L
at Northern Colorado - W
vs. Sioux Falls - W
at UC Davis - L
vs. South Dakota - L

There you go, 5 - 6 record; last in the GWFC but they will still finish with a better record then my Jacks. Of course we aren't playing BHSU, USF, Drake and Mont Western but in the history books no one will look back and care.

2 games could change your W-L and that is Cal Poly and USD. If the 09 Sioux show up UND finishes the year 7-4. If the 2010 Sioux show up it will be 5-6. Let the games begin. Good luck with the Jacks in MVFC play. I know of one game we (Sioux fans) will be cheering for you!!

frozennorth
September 18th, 2011, 02:53 PM
What a crock of sh-t!!!! Why would Fresno play down to UND?? UND is a DI team and it counts towards a bowl game, why would they piss that away? Face it UND came to play and gave it all they got to prove a point that they can stay competitive. Are you saying last year Nebraska played down to South Dakota State since it was 17-3? Or Michigan played down to App State. I bet Kansas played down to NDSU last year just like Minnesota will play down to NDSU on Saturday. No offense but that is most stupid comment I have ever heard!!!xlolxxlolx

Fresno state played down to und because that's what fresno state does, pat hill teams are notoriously bi-polar, playing teams like usc and nebraska to the wire, then being blown out by wac and mac teams.

Kansas was awful last year. Ndsu is a more coherant team than minnesota right now. Sdsu lost to nebraska and failed to score a touchdown. Vtech played a respectable jmu team on a short week after a crushing loss.

Your inability to apply situational logic to this is really pretty stunning, so far you have been exactly wrong about just about everything. Typical UND grad in otherwords.

darell1976
September 18th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Fresno state played down to und because that's what fresno state does, pat hill teams are notoriously bi-polar, playing teams like usc and nebraska to the wire, then being blown out by wac and mac teams.

Kansas was awful last year. Ndsu is a more coherant team than minnesota right now. Sdsu lost to nebraska and failed to score a touchdown. Vtech played a respectable jmu team on a short week after a crushing loss.

Your inability to apply situational logic to this is really pretty stunning, so far you have been exactly wrong about just about everything. Typical UND grad in otherwords.

Sorry Mr. right, I thought you said UND was going to beat Fresno. BTW your green and gold colors are showing more and more. For someone who goes to UND you sure don't act like a Sioux fan. Reading your posts someone would think you are a fan of a different school. If you don't want to cheer for UND fine but don't hide it with the anti-UND posts.

DJKyR0
September 18th, 2011, 03:13 PM
They will win the NAIA games no doubt about that.

I remember hearing this in 2009 too. xchinscratchx

UND played well, but this is about the first time they've done so barring the first half of the Idaho game. They dropped 41 straight to a bad WAC team and only beat a middle-of-the-road Pioneer team by 16 at home. That does not make Drake a good team, as even Dayton and Jacksonville get creamed regularly by good scholarship teams, and one of those were 10-1 last season against a Pioneer schedule.

Putting UND in a top 25 ballot is flat-out crazy right now.

frozennorth
September 18th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Sorry Mr. right, I thought you said UND was going to beat Fresno. BTW your green and gold colors are showing more and more. For someone who goes to UND you sure don't act like a Sioux fan. Reading your posts someone would think you are a fan of a different school. If you don't want to cheer for UND fine but don't hide it with the anti-UND posts.
There is a difference between being a fan and being delusional. I am as much a fan as UND has earned during my time here, which isn't much. I wish I had gone to a school that I could be proud of, and maybe before I leave that will happen, but I highly doubt it. There is no reason to expect it based on what is happening on the field or court. (Or for that matter, the incoming freshman class)

darell1976
September 18th, 2011, 03:49 PM
There is a difference between being a fan and being delusional. I am as much a fan as UND has earned during my time here, which isn't much. I wish I had gone to a school that I could be proud of, and maybe before I leave that will happen, but I highly doubt it. There is no reason to expect it based on what is happening on the field or court. (Or for that matter, the incoming freshman class)

Look at your posts there is nothing positive you have ever said about UND. And predicting them beating Fresno State?? Talk about delusional.

frozennorth
September 18th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Look at your posts there is nothing positive you have ever said about UND. And predicting them beating Fresno State?? Talk about delusional.
Yet it almost happened. The fluke at nebraska aside (remember, they did lose by 2td) fresno is in for a rough year. 5-8 looks pretty reasonable.

Really, what positives can there be said? Volleyball is doing alright, and the ChE program is respectable. Oh yeah, there is hockey, but I hate hockey.

darell1976
September 18th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Yet it almost happened. The fluke at nebraska aside (remember, they did lose by 2td) fresno is in for a rough year. 5-8 looks pretty reasonable.

Really, what positives can there be said? Volleyball is doing alright, and the ChE program is respectable. Oh yeah, there is hockey, but I hate hockey.

The Sioux did shut out Drake. They almost beat 2 FBS teams remember they led Idaho 14-3. There can be some positives in this team. But say what you want, this team is improving week by week.

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2011, 04:29 PM
They almost beat 2 FBS teams remember they led Idaho 14-3.

They did NOT "almost" beat Idaho. They got their ***es kicked. The second half was embarrassing to watch.

frozennorth
September 18th, 2011, 04:32 PM
The Sioux did shut out Drake. They almost beat 2 FBS teams remember they led Idaho 14-3. There can be some positives in this team. But say what you want, this team is improving week by week.

Its entirely possible that drake was the worst team we will play all year.

bisonwest
September 18th, 2011, 04:35 PM
at Southern Utah - L
vs. Montana Western - W
vs. Cal Poly - L
at Northern Colorado - W
vs. Sioux Falls - W
at UC Davis - L
vs. South Dakota - L

This is about right but you gotta think they'll pull out at least one of the conference games. I think 9-2 is a bit of a stretch but 7-4 would be within the realm of possibility. That's a pretty good spot to be in going into their first year of eligibility.

darell1976
September 18th, 2011, 04:45 PM
This is about right but you gotta think they'll pull out at least one of the conference games. I think 9-2 is a bit of a stretch but 7-4 would be within the realm of possibility. That's a pretty good spot to be in going into their first year of eligibility.

6 wins is the most UND has had in their DI transition. So 7 would be a great number to get too (like most FCS teams.;))

TheBisonator
September 18th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Who's saying 9-2 for UND this year?? Seriously, whoever you are, industrial solvent is not good for your body.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 18th, 2011, 05:54 PM

FB games are 4 quarters not 1 1/2......

darell1976
September 18th, 2011, 05:55 PM
FB games are 4 quarters not 1 1/2......

Very good. But for the record UND led Idaho at halftime.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 18th, 2011, 06:00 PM

Whatever.....

X-Factor
September 18th, 2011, 07:38 PM

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a marry christmas

Squealofthepig
September 18th, 2011, 08:54 PM
...a marry christmas

Freud, your slip is showing. I won't inquire into your marital affairs, but...

dakota fairways
September 18th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Sorry, Darell, I hope the football team does not think that the NAIA teams are slam dunks like you do. If the Sioux of last night continue to show up the rest of the season, the Sioux should have a winning record and even compete in the Great West. 9 and 2 means they run the table. I bleed green, but I think that's a stretch. On the other hand, 7 - 4 is indeed within the Fighting Sioux's reach. :)

Grizzaholic
September 18th, 2011, 10:00 PM
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a marry christmas

I always have a Merry Christmas.

GoAgs72
September 18th, 2011, 10:52 PM
One major win does not make a season as we've seen with Sac State and others. However, Fresno State is a pretty decent middle-tier FCS team and this was a good showing by North Dakota.

bojeta
September 18th, 2011, 10:56 PM
All I know is... Cal Poly, Davis, and So Utah better stand up and take notice of the Dakotas or we're all gonna have a rude awakening in a few weeks.

Grizzaholic
September 18th, 2011, 10:58 PM
All I know is... Cal Poly, Davis, and So Utah better stand up and take notice of the Dakotas or we're all gonna have a rude awakening in a few weeks.

SUU will be fine.

Go Bison
September 19th, 2011, 11:22 AM
When was the last time Cal Poly won in the state of ND? I don't believe they ever beat NDSU in Fargo and I know Cal Poly lost to UND the last time they played in Grand Forks. I think Cal Poly is the better team right now but the travel to ND is not that easy.

darell1976
September 19th, 2011, 11:35 AM
When was the last time Cal Poly won in the state of ND? I don't believe they ever beat NDSU in Fargo and I know Cal Poly lost to UND the last time they played in Grand Forks. I think Cal Poly is the better team right now but the travel to ND is not that easy.

Cal Poly has only played in GF once and it was the 2009 game they lost. Cal Poly's only win in ND was over NDSU in 2004 13-10.

biggame
September 19th, 2011, 01:06 PM

I get being negative in regards to UND football after the last several years but you go beyond. Maybe it's the type of person you are but if you didn't get a lot of positive out of that game you are delusional. With a few exeptions UND played a very good game and deserve more credit from "fans" like you. Fresno clearly didn't have the best game, but the closest an FCS has come to beating them under Pat Hill is a 28 point loss so I wouldn't say they have a history of playing down.

I think UND will get a least 6 wins this season with a chance of as many as 8 wins. I like the way UND has played Cal Poly in the past so that is a chance to surprise a few people.

BisonBacker
September 19th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Still to have them ranked is obsurd you just can't defend that type of ranking in any poll. They have not done anything to warrant a top 25 ranking. To your credit darrel you have not said they do and I applaud you for that. Win some games against ranked teams then lets talk rankings.

biggame
September 19th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Still to have them ranked is obsurd you just can't defend that type of ranking in any poll. They have not done anything to warrant a top 25 ranking. To your credit darrel you have not said they do and I applaud you for that. Win some games against ranked teams then lets talk rankings.

completely agree, how do you lose a game and move up or into the rankings?