PDA

View Full Version : How Does Your Team Travel?

carney2
April 16th, 2006, 12:49 PM
The following was posted by UNH_Alum_In_CT in another thread:

"...a natural for Holy Cross to upgrade their schedule would be to play at least one of the local A-10 schools (UNH, Northeastern, UMass or URI). Those are practically day of the game bus trips!! Do those even exist any more?"

It causes me to ask just how your team gets around. I'm not even sure about my team because only Holy Cross and maybe Georgetown would seem to require more than the aforementioned "day of the game bus trip" for Lafayette in the Patriot League. Even these two could be "day of the game" if they had to.

kats89
April 16th, 2006, 01:04 PM

"...a natural for Holy Cross to upgrade their schedule would be to play at least one of the local A-10 schools (UNH, Northeastern, UMass or URI). Those are practically day of the game bus trips!! Do those even exist any more?"

It causes me to ask just how your team gets around. I'm not even sure about my team because only Holy Cross and maybe Georgetown would seem to require more than the aforementioned "day of the game bus trip" for Lafayette in the Patriot League. Even these two could be "day of the game" if they had to.

With most of the conference being within a reasonable driving distance, SHSU travels by bus on most occasions. I think on occasion SHSU will do a same day travel on game day (SFA,McNeese) since they are probably the closest. I do know that last year when we played @ Nicholls St, we did a one day round trip which was crazy. Thibodeaux is a 6 hour drive.

TexasTerror
April 16th, 2006, 01:26 PM
With most of the conference being within a reasonable driving distance, SHSU travels by bus on most occasions. I think on occasion SHSU will do a same day travel on game day (SFA,McNeese) since they are probably the closest. I do know that last year when we played @ Nicholls St, we did a one day round trip which was crazy. Thibodeaux is a 6 hour drive.

FYI, when the Kats played Nicholls St, they stayed at a New Orleans hotel the night before and then went out to Thibodeaux the next day, followed by bussing back afterwards. Interestingly enough, I had called the SHSU Ath Dept to find out where they stayed because the folks flying me in for an interview were unsure about where to have me stay the night. The Ath Dept told me where and I stayed there. Eventually got the job...

Kats do bus everywhere. Most of our opponents have been close enough to bus to with only recent plane trips to El Paso, Colorado and Montana as of recent years. They even drove to Missouri to play then-SW Missouri St. When they fly, they fly out of Bryan/College Station most of the time, because they can avoid most of the security issues-related with a major airport and fly charter.

Husky Alum
April 16th, 2006, 01:48 PM
NU does UNH and URI with day of game travel by bus.

I know last year NU went to UMass the night before by bus, and also bussed to Hofstra and possibly Villanova.

Everything else is a commercial plane ride. I don't think NU's chartered anywhere in recent history.

PapaBear
April 16th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Maine travels by chartered plane almost everywhere. Sweet:hurray:

Husky Alum
April 16th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Maine travels by chartered plane almost everywhere. Sweet:hurray:

Yeah, but what happens when it gets cold up there, don't the rubber bands on the propellers snap when you wind them up for take off? ;)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 16th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Well Husky Alum, you've got one on me! While obviously UNH travels by bus to Boston, I don't know if it is same day or not. Knowing the economics at UNH, I'll assume that UNH also travels same day. I mean it's only a 1:15 trip!!

Within the A-10, UNH travels by bus to Maine, UMass, NU, URI and Hofstra. And they travel by plane (commercial to the best of my knowledge) to the A-10 South schools. SouthWest Airlines non-stop from Manchester to Philly and Baltimore for at least Villanova, Delaware and Towson. I've heard different itineraries for William & Mary so I'll assume price dictates which commercial airline and destination airport for W&M, JMU and Richmond.

When UNH played Rutgers, it was a bus game. So, the bus/plane line for UNH falls somewhere south of New Brunswick, NJ and north of Philly.

mainejeff
April 16th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Yeah, but what happens when it gets cold up there, don't the rubber bands on the propellers snap when you wind them up for take off? ;)

Northeastern travels by plane to Maine?

Tribe4SF
April 16th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Tribe does bus to A-10 South, and charter planes elsewhere. Did bus to Hofstra a few years ago, and it was a nightmare, so I think they will fly there next year. They always go the day before, even for Richmond. The only day trip I can remember was to Hampton in '98, but that's only 30 miles.

colgate13
April 16th, 2006, 07:36 PM
It causes me to ask just how your team gets around.

Under 6 hour drive, bus the day before early enough to practice that afternoon/evening. Over 6 (Richmond in the 90s), fly. Cornell is the only day trip.

P2TheB
April 16th, 2006, 07:46 PM
UNI travels by charter plane to all road games, except for Illinois State, Drake, and Iowa/Iowa State.

Husky Alum
April 16th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Northeastern travels by plane to Maine?

Ooops, sorry about that MJ, I forgot about the schlep to Orono. ;) It's a bus trip.

DFW HOYA
April 16th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Since no other PL school is within 200 miles, I think all of Georgetown's travel are by bus the day before.

And since there are no nearby non-conference games, either (the average distance for GU's non-conf. games this season: 442 miles), I'd guess these are Friday-Saturday bus trips as well. (Distances like this don't do much for the traveling fan base, either.)

ngineer
April 16th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Except for Lafayette, the team goes the day before in order to get a practice in the stadium Friday afternoon. Perhaps, this year's Villanova game would be bus down IF the game is at night, but I think it may be a day game. Typically, Lehigh has bused the day before to all games for several reasons. Besides getting familiar with the opposition's turf, the coaches have found the bonding that occurs on these trips has helped. It also gets the players away from the 'rollicking' Friday nights on Lehigh's campus..:D

JaxStateManager
April 16th, 2006, 09:44 PM
With the exceptions of the Eastern Illinois game and the return trip from Southeast Missouri, JSU travels by bus to all games. When JSU plays Tennessee-Chattanooga and Samford, the trips are day of the game travel, since each is within 2 1/2 hours.

slostang
April 16th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Cal Poly buses if the game is in California and fly to games out of state. Last year they only had one bus trip (UC Davis) and four regular season flights. They usually fly one or two chartered flights and the rest commercial.

This is not a typical year for Cal Poly. They have three in state road games they will bus to, Sacramento State, San Jose State and San Diego State. They will have three out of state flights to Weber State, Montana and North Dakota State.

McNeese75
April 16th, 2006, 10:08 PM
The Cowboys will bus to all conference games the day before. This year they will be flying to Tampa and Toledo.

Pard4Life
April 16th, 2006, 10:14 PM

Tavani is vehemently aganist gameday bus trips. See Hurricane Floyd 2004. Whenever we play at Princeton, the team busses down from College Hill at about 3:00 for a 7:30 start. That year, everything around Easton was flooded, ever way off the Hill was closed, and Lafayette tried to postpone the game. I know NJ didn't have many problems in the central portion by Princeton, but the Princeton football folks were being real jerks about insisting the game be played. So.. the team got off of College Hill really late.. like 430.. just as they finally were able to open a road.. which was then shut later due to 30 ft. high water overflowing the Delaware.

Anyhow.. Lafayette did their walk through in the dark in Kirby, and had their whole pre-game routine distrupted.. how can you concentrate if you don't know if you are gonna play? We got our butts whipped that day from the start.

So, bring up a same-day bus trip to Tavani and he will probably start muttering to himself.

Of course everyone, myself included, was looking for this year's 'hurricane' excuse when we got trumped by PU again... at home..

We don't even do bus trips to Lehigh.. that's in a hotel when we play both home and away. Princeton is likely a hotel game this year.

darussian12
April 17th, 2006, 01:34 AM
i would assume we bus for the conf games in texas and not sure about the LA ones...i remeber last year there was some craziness about the whole Nicholls game and the housing situation with the lack of it so dont know what they did or regularly do for the LA games...anyone familiar with TX State policy/funding resources....TxState02...i think ya work in the AD office right...how does our school work it

carney2
April 17th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Tavani is vehemently aganist gameday bus trips. See Hurricane Floyd 2004. Whenever we play at Princeton, the team busses down from College Hill at about 3:00 for a 7:30 start. That year, everything around Easton was flooded, ever way off the Hill was closed, and Lafayette tried to postpone the game. I know NJ didn't have many problems in the central portion by Princeton, but the Princeton football folks were being real jerks about insisting the game be played. So.. the team got off of College Hill really late.. like 430.. just as they finally were able to open a road.. which was then shut later due to 30 ft. high water overflowing the Delaware.

Anyhow.. Lafayette did their walk through in the dark in Kirby, and had their whole pre-game routine distrupted.. how can you concentrate if you don't know if you are gonna play? We got our butts whipped that day from the start.

So, bring up a same-day bus trip to Tavani and he will probably start muttering to himself.

Of course everyone, myself included, was looking for this year's 'hurricane' excuse when we got trumped by PU again... at home..

We don't even do bus trips to Lehigh.. that's in a hotel when we play both home and away. Princeton is likely a hotel game this year.

Thanks for the update. I know that back in the middle ages when I was in school, the only overnights were for extreme distances and for Lehigh.

I remember well the Princeton flood game. I gave it a shot on Saturday afternoon, but returned home to watch it on TV. Last year, no excuse. Tavani was just a flat out bonehead. He started and stuck with a wounded Maurer (couldn't run and couldn't throw) until it got to 20-0. Some feel that it came down to the Princeton field goal with less than 4 minutes to go after Pat Davis led a furious comeback. Not so. The game was lost in the 1st half. Is this another example of how we can't beat any Ivy not located in Manhattan, or are we just snake bitten vs. the Tigers (4 wins since Chester Arthur was President)?

Freightliner
April 17th, 2006, 07:50 AM
i would assume we bus for the conf games in texas and not sure about the LA ones...i remeber last year there was some craziness about the whole Nicholls game and the housing situation with the lack of it so dont know what they did or regularly do for the LA games...anyone familiar with TX State policy/funding resources....TxState02...i think ya work in the AD office right...how does our school work it

Texas State, I believe, bus the day before to the conference games, save SLU and Nicholls where they fly/drive. Any longer trips are flights (charter or commercial) out of Austin or San Antonio.

Some previous non conference travel games: A&M- Same Day Bus travel, Baylor- Same day bus travel, Cal Poly - Commercial flight, App State - Charter Flight,

Russian: to answer your question for the Nicholls game: The team flew up to New Orleans and stayed in Morgan City, then drove back to San Marcos after the game.

Terror: Did the Kats bus up to Lubbock for the Tech game? I was at the game and saw them get off some South Houston garaged charter buses and was just wondering.

TexasTerror
April 17th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Terror: Did the Kats bus up to Lubbock for the Tech game? I was at the game and saw them get off some South Houston garaged charter buses and was just wondering.

Yep...to my knowledge, Kats bussed up the day before and then bussed back after the game...

McNeese72
April 17th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Not to be too repetitive to McNeese's 75 post, but, in normal years and last year was definitely not normal, McNeese either busses or flies out before noon or around noon on Fridays to get to their destination before the day before the game. They either bus or fly back right after the game is over.

Doc

Eaglegus2
April 17th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Georgia Southern usually busses to their opponents on a Friday and busses back home after the game.

Last year, we flew out to Northeastern & South Dakota. They bussed to Savannah (1 hour trip) and caught a charter out to their destination on Friday.

We don't do many airplane trips.

gsuwinsudont
April 17th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Georgia Southern usually busses to their opponents on a Friday and busses back home after the game.

Last year, we flew out to Northeastern & South Dakota. They bussed to Savannah (1 hour trip) and caught a charter out to their destination on Friday.

We don't do many airplane trips.

We also flew out to Texas for the playoffs. It was a great trip till the fourth quarter....:bang:

TxSt02
April 17th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Texas State, I believe, bus the day before to the conference games, save SLU and Nicholls where they fly/drive. Any longer trips are flights (charter or commercial) out of Austin or San Antonio.

Some previous non conference travel games: A&M- Same Day Bus travel, Baylor- Same day bus travel, Cal Poly - Commercial flight, App State - Charter Flight,

Russian: to answer your question for the Nicholls game: The team flew up to New Orleans and stayed in Morgan City, then drove back to San Marcos after the game.

Not sure what we ended up doing for the SELU and Nichols games but we were to charter out there and bus back right after the game... Something tells me that we were not able to do so b/c of the the Hurricanes and all...

We flew commercial (American Air) out to Cal Poly into LAX and then bused up the coast to SLO... and flew a chartered Frontier Airlines flight into Charlotte for the App State game...

Not totally sure what we will do this year but I am sure that we will take a commercial flight into Lexington for the UK game and charter into or around Cedar City for our Southern Utah game... If not we may fly commercial into Las Vegas and bus from there...

bobcatfan06
April 17th, 2006, 10:40 AM
We also flew out to Texas for the playoffs. It was a great trip till the fourth quarter....:bang:

:nod: :hurray: :D

Go...gate
April 17th, 2006, 11:20 AM
We are usually two buses against the world.

Freightliner
April 17th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Not totally sure what we will do this year but I am sure that we will take a commercial flight into Lexington for the UK game and charter into or around Cedar City for our Southern Utah game... If not we may fly commercial into Las Vegas and bus from there...

Charter flights for both games.

McNeese and SFA have both chartered in to Cedar City for their games against SUU.

Heard stories about the nightmare trip that McNeese took to Cedar City in 2003.

gsuwinsudont
April 17th, 2006, 12:48 PM
:nod: :hurray: :D

Its ok though we both ended up winning the same thing in the end. :smiley_wi

McNeeserocket
April 17th, 2006, 02:29 PM
The Cowboys will bus to all conference games the day before. This year they will be flying to Tampa and Toledo.

I think the Cowboys will bus the day before to any away game 6 hours or under. Over 6 hours they will fly the day before the game. I am not sure how far UCA is from Lake Charles, but if it is over 6 hours we may have to fly to that conference game every other year.

McNeese72
April 17th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Charter flights for both games.

McNeese and SFA have both chartered in to Cedar City for their games against SUU.

Heard stories about the nightmare trip that McNeese took to Cedar City in 2003.

I've reuploaded my trip story and a few pictures, if anybody is interested. It was the "charter flight from Hell". It was my first charter flight with the team on what some people was one of the worst charter flights in history. I was on probation the next couple of flights to make sure it wasn't my fault. :)

McNeese 2003 SUU Charter Flight Story (http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/suu03rt.asp)

SunCoastBlueHen
April 17th, 2006, 03:22 PM
"Not Well" would be the answer for Delaware as the Hens have a losing record on the road under KC Keeler. :)

OL FU
April 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM
bandl, I am volunteering for the bandl of the day award because I almost responded before reading and would have said "OK, but we play better at home":rolleyes:

But I see Suncoast beat me to it

kats89
April 17th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Yep...to my knowledge, Kats bussed up the day before and then bussed back after the game...

Yes, they did travel by bus to Lubbock. Unbelievable on that one. Nothing like riding 7-8 hours to Lubbock, getting strummed like a cheap guitar and getting back on the bus for another 7-8 hour trip. Smart move by our Ath. Dept on that one.

TexasTerror
April 17th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Yes, they did travel by bus to Lubbock. Unbelievable on that one. Nothing like riding 7-8 hours to Lubbock, getting strummed like a cheap guitar and getting back on the bus for another 7-8 hour trip. Smart move by our Ath. Dept on that one.

Yes, but what about the Missouri St game in 2004? Took a bus ten hours to that one, spent the night, had that wild game and tough loss for the Kats, before heading home ten hours on the bus back. That's the financial issues of many athletic departments. What do you expect?

McNeese75
April 17th, 2006, 09:14 PM
I believe Northwestern State did the Georgia game a few years ago. That is a long ride to try and keep focus for a very difficult game. They did put more $$ in the budget by doing so of course.

Pard4Life
April 17th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the update. I know that back in the middle ages when I was in school, the only overnights were for extreme distances and for Lehigh.

I remember well the Princeton flood game. I gave it a shot on Saturday afternoon, but returned home to watch it on TV. Last year, no excuse. Tavani was just a flat out bonehead. He started and stuck with a wounded Maurer (couldn't run and couldn't throw) until it got to 20-0. Some feel that it came down to the Princeton field goal with less than 4 minutes to go after Pat Davis led a furious comeback. Not so. The game was lost in the 1st half. Is this another example of how we can't beat any Ivy not located in Manhattan, or are we just snake bitten vs. the Tigers (4 wins since Chester Arthur was President)?

Yeah, we hotel for every road game essentially, even Columbia and Fordham. Tavani seemed to have alluded to the flood as a reason for losing only for the media. He was pretty angry at how the team played.. I guess they took it to heart.. we beat Richmond the next week. That was an interesting weekend.. I remember driving into Easton after 4, the first opportunity one was able to since the power lines had fallen over 3rd Street and the other routes were flooded. I parked across the little park along the river, and walked along until the Delaware met the Lehigh. The water was about six feet from the top of the concrete cliff. When I got back from the Princeton game (an adventure in and of itself) the entire downtown was flooded... I was shocked.

And yes we did blow that game in the first half. At least Tavani admitted it. It was noble to take the blame, but dangerous because the team might not view it as their own fault. However, that portion was probably saved for the locker room.

LeopardFan04
April 18th, 2006, 12:02 AM
I've reuploaded my trip story and a few pictures, if anybody is interested. It was the "charter flight from Hell". It was my first charter flight with the team on what some people was one of the worst charter flights in history. I was on probation the next couple of flights to make sure it wasn't my fault. :)

McNeese 2003 SUU Charter Flight Story (http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/suu03rt.asp)

Nice pictures...at least you guys got a win, and a decent trip otherwise considering the hassle...:)

PapaBear
April 18th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Tavani is vehemently aganist gameday bus trips.

Same with Cosgrove at Maine. Last year we played a "home" game vs Albany at a stadium in Portland, which is about a 2 1/2-hour drive south of campus. Kickoff was, early evening -- 6:00? Maybe 4:00? Anyway, the team bussed down Friday and stayed over.

Pard94
April 18th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Under 6 hour drive, bus the day before early enough to practice that afternoon/evening. Over 6 (Richmond in the 90s), fly. Cornell is the only day trip.

Same with Lafayette. I seem to remeber taking an extra day when we played VMI and maybe Buffalo. The only time we do game day travelling is Lehigh. Even Fordham gets the extra day.