PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Spring Game / No passing fancy.

Tribe4SF
April 16th, 2006, 11:01 AM
UD passing game was evidently ineffective. Transfer Flacco was 3-13 throwing for 49 yards. Receivers had some drops.The three QBs were the leading rushers, as Omar Cuff lugged it only 3 times for 3 yards.

Many players did not participate. Reported that WR Armand Cauthen and PK Zach Hobby have been suspended from the team.

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/fb06-springgame.html

blackfordpu
April 16th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Sounds pretty dull. Did the defense really dominate that much?

Tribe4SF
April 16th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I'm just going from news reports, but their coach described it as "sluggish". That offensive performance was with 3 of their starting defensive linemen on the sideline.

blukeys
April 16th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I was there. It was a Beautiful very breezy day at the beach with the wind crossing from the QB's right to left. Only one returning wideout, Aaron Love played. All of the other wideouts were Freshmen most of whom were walk ons. Against this group were 6 DBack starters from 2005 including last year's captain, Roger Brown, who got an injury redshirt for this year. The wideouts rarely got separation with the exception of a TD pass to Freshman walk on Blair Newman (years ago his parents were my neighbors) . That pass was tossed by Jamie Moyer.

All three QB's ran very well and better than I expected. Carty ran better than I have ever seen in his time as a back up and had a 35 yard run and was the leading rusher. Flacco is much faster than I expected and will be a load at 6'6" and 220. Moyer also ran well and is close in size to Flacco. All three QB's ran better than Riccio. I was impressed with the athleticism of all three. Flacco and Moyer definitely have big time arms, especially Flacco. Receivers dropped some hard thrown balls that could have improved Moyer's and Flacco's stats.

Not playing were starting wideouts Mirchaud (injury), Cauthen (discipline), starting tight ends Selk (injury) Mailey (did not participate in spring drills to focus on academics). Three OL starters were out with injuries as were 3 starting DL. The defense looked ahead of the offense for whatever that is worth this time of year. I don't know if UD's defense has improved that much or if the inexperienced wideouts were over matched.

Cuff got a minor rib injury and was quickly pulled after about 3 or 4 carries. He was out of his pads for the rest of the day. It's not as if people need to know what he can do and I and most of the fans in Lewes De. were more interested in seeing who could fill in for Danny Jones. Ruggerio looked tough and having potential. None of the Cuff backups will come close to threatening for a starting job.

UD's linebacker play was solid. Very few Defensive assignments were missed. DB back play was much more aggressive then last year. Our new DB coach appears at this stage to be an improvement over the Holy Cross guy who came here for one year before moving on.