PDA

View Full Version : Is Indiana state in your top 25 for this voting period?

Twentysix
September 17th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Is ISU-B going to be in your top 25 for this voting period?

Right now they are blowing out WKU(FBS) 34-3 still 3rd qtr.

Answers should probably just be "Yes, or no".

34-9 now.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 17th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Depending on how everything else shakes out, I think they should get a nod in the polls. Why do all of the MVC folks say ISU-b? Is the b for blue (as in the uniforms?) I know your conference has two ISUs, but it's a bit confusing, why not INSU and ILSU or ISU-Sycamores and ISU-Birdies, or something like that? (or maybe your current version works great for everyone and I'm the only one occasionally confused).

Twentysix
September 17th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Depending on how everything else shakes out, I think they should get a nod in the polls. Why do all of the MVC folks say ISU-b? Is the b for blue (as in the uniforms?) I know your conference has two ISUs, but it's a bit confusing, why not INSU and ILSU or ISU-Sycamores and ISU-Birdies, or something like that? (or maybe your current version works great for everyone and I'm the only one occasionally confused).

Color, blue and red. b r

UNIFanSince1983
September 17th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Yeah it is ISUblue and ISUred.

I think they could get a nod in the polls, but so far all they have done is lose to Penn State and then beat Butler, and WKU. I mean I know WKU is FBS but they wouldn't even be a top 50 team in FCS anymore. It is tough right now, but they could possibly be a top 25 team.

Twentysix
September 17th, 2011, 08:25 PM
37-9, tough to say. losing to penn state doesnt really make an fcs team bad.

ISUb hasnt really played anyone until now. That doesn't mean they arent worthy.

Im thinking EWU is out of my poll and ISUb is in.

Twentysix
September 17th, 2011, 08:29 PM
37-16 WKU is heating up.

Im not advocating for ISUb to jump into the top 10 or something like that, im saying 23-25ish.

UNIFanSince1983
September 17th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Yeah exactly. I wasn't saying Penn State was a bad loss. I was simply stating you can't really tell much about them up to now. I think they will get plenty of 23-25 votes this week, and might sneak into the polls.

theasushow
September 17th, 2011, 08:35 PM
With doing absolutely no research I would imagine this deficit could be one of the most ever for a FCS win over a BCS team.

Squealofthepig
September 17th, 2011, 08:35 PM
They're in my consideration (assuming they hold on for the win); but there's quite a bit in my 20-30 range that hasn't been decided yet.

DJKyR0
September 17th, 2011, 08:43 PM
They've been in the 20's for me all season thus far and were 24 last week. This has to put them in the teens, at least. Bison-Sycs in Terre Haute the week after UNI scares the daylights out of me.

PantherRob82
September 17th, 2011, 08:56 PM
They struggled with Butler last week. Torn.

PantherRob82
September 17th, 2011, 08:56 PM
With doing absolutely no research I would imagine this deficit could be one of the most ever for a FCS win over a non-BCS team.
FIFY

DJKyR0
September 17th, 2011, 09:03 PM
With doing absolutely no research I would imagine this deficit could be one of the most ever for a FCS win over a BCS team.

PantherRob made the necessary non-BCS correction, but NDSU beat Central Michigan 44-14 in 2007. Two more points. :)

BisonFan02
September 17th, 2011, 09:11 PM
PantherRob made the necessary non-BCS correction, but NDSU beat Central Michigan 44-14 in 2007. Two more points. :)

Didn't Northeastern shut out Ohio 30 something to 0 once in the early 2000s? I have no idea why I remember that.

Squealofthepig
September 17th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Didn't Northeastern shut out Ohio 30 something to 0 once in the early 2000s? I have no idea why I remember that.

31-0, in 2002. Your memory is insanely astounding, sir (believe you also nailed the FBS 1 point conversion safety correctly).

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=222500195 - no real boscore, but the final is still recorded on espn.

BisonFan02
September 17th, 2011, 09:26 PM
31-0, in 2002. Your memory is insanely astounding, sir (believe you also nailed the FBS 1 point conversion safety correctly).

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=222500195 - no real boscore, but the final is still recorded on espn.

Well, there. That point diff. was 31 where the Bison's victory over C. Michigan was "only" 30. I have absolutely no idea why that game popped up in my head, but the convo about FCS margin of victory must have triggered something. Anyone know if that is the largest margin of victory, or is there another game that trumps it?

X-Factor
September 17th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I already has ISUb ranked, 25 to be exact. Will they move up? Yes, but nothing earth shattering. WKU is a middle of the road FCS caliber team at the very best.

DJKyR0
September 17th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I already has ISUb ranked, 25 to be exact. Will they move up? Yes, but nothing earth shattering. WKU is a middle of the road FCS caliber team at the very best.

Duke isn't a whole lot better and Richmond was getting top 5 votes.

UNIFanSince1983
September 17th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Duke isn't a whole lot better and Richmond was getting top 5 votes.

Duke is much better. Since being fully moved up WKU has won 4 games. 2 of those were EKU and Murray State. They have 2 FBS wins since 2008. Duke in the same time period has won 10 FBS games including beating BC today. And that is better FBS competition than WKU is facing.

However, winning any game by 28 points is impressive. It is even more impressive when the team has more scholarships than your team, and is on the road. They should be ranked next week.

JSUBison
September 17th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Indiana State will probably be ranked. There were more than a couple teams that will fall out. I know that Sac State isn't going to be anywhere near my top 25. The hell happened to them?

Squealofthepig
September 17th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Duke is much better. Since being fully moved up WKU has won 4 games. 2 of those were EKU and Murray State. They have 2 FBS wins since 2008. Duke in the same time period has won 10 FBS games including beating BC today.

On the road, I would add.

Squealofthepig
September 17th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I know that Sac State isn't going to be anywhere near my top 25. The hell happened to them?

We've secretly replaced all of the Hornets with Folger's Crystals. Will anyone notice? Let's watch.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I remember Indiana State. That they could not just beat, but utterly humiliate Western Kentucky by leading them wire to wire is nothing short of astounding, based on where they've been and where they are now.

Also, ISU Blue should be ranked simply because they beat WKU, who must seriously have buyer's remorse for their FBS move. If they weren't a laughingstock of FBS yet, they certainly are now.

FargoBison
September 17th, 2011, 10:34 PM
An interesting note about this game is that ISU Blue didn't get a dime for playing WKU, this was a make up game from a previous home and home contract. At the time the game was originally supposed to happen ISU Blue wanted to schedule a non-DI school instead to try to end what was their long losing streak. Talk about a turnaround.

Twentysix
September 18th, 2011, 12:02 AM
ISUb was in my preseason poll at 24 or 25, but they fell out. Now they will reenter right around there.

DJKyR0
September 18th, 2011, 12:11 AM
An interesting note about this game is that ISU Blue didn't get a dime for playing WKU, this was a make up game from a previous home and home contract. At the time the game was originally supposed to happen ISU Blue wanted to schedule a non-DI school instead to try to end what was their long losing streak. Talk about a turnaround.

Is that ironic? I can't tell.

Squealofthepig
September 18th, 2011, 12:29 AM

Is it a knife? Do you need a spoon? That's how I always tell.

Twentysix
September 18th, 2011, 12:31 AM

Lick your finger, after ten seconds if the top becomes colder than the bottom its ironic.

Sycamore51
September 18th, 2011, 12:42 AM
I don't have a vote, but I just got home from the game and it was complete domination. Not even close! We're a lot better than we have been in a long time but WKU didn't look like the teams that used to kill us every year. If I did vote though I would put us 20-25. A win next weekend against YSU should answer questions that some still have and maybe slide us in the top 20

Twentysix
September 18th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I don't have a vote, but I just got home from the game and it was complete domination. Not even close! We're a lot better than we have been in a long time but WKU didn't look like the teams that used to kill us every year. If I did vote though I would put us 20-25. A win next weekend against YSU should answer questions that some still have and maybe slide us in the top 20

Easily, YSU is in my top 20 already.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 18th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Duke is much better. Since being fully moved up WKU has won 4 games. 2 of those were EKU and Murray State. They have 2 FBS wins since 2008. Duke in the same time period has won 10 FBS games including beating BC today. And that is better FBS competition than WKU is facing.

However, winning any game by 28 points is impressive. It is even more impressive when the team has more scholarships than your team, and is on the road. They should be ranked next week.

This!

Definitely worthy of top 20 consideration.....probably mid to upper teens.

OhioHen
September 18th, 2011, 07:36 AM
37-9, tough to say. losing to penn state doesnt really make an fcs team bad.

ISUb hasnt really played anyone until now. That doesn't mean they arent worthy.

Im thinking EWU is out of my poll and ISUb is in.

THINKING EWU is out? xconfusedx

At 0-3 they BETTER be out of every poll. IMO, they shouldn't have received any votes LAST week. xtwocentsx

darell1976
September 18th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I just voted and did indeed put Indiana State in my Top 25. Congrats on a big win!!

DOME
September 18th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Go Trees!!!

MVC now has a vacated doormat position....WIU? MoSt? NDSU?

crusader11
September 18th, 2011, 05:15 PM
The Sycamores checked in at #17 for me.

BisonFan02
September 18th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Go Trees!!!

NDSU a doormat candidate??? xchinscratchx xcrazyx

Twentysix
September 18th, 2011, 05:48 PM
NDSU a doormat candidate??? xchinscratchx xcrazyx

He misspelled UNI, rennie is gonna break a leg in the next 2 games. xsmhx

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 18th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Go Trees!!!

No....UNI!

bluehenbillk
September 18th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I have Indiana St in, trying to remember where exactly, but somewhere around 18-19ish.

bjtheflamesfan
September 18th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I have them just on the outside looking in. Im certainly impressed with their turnaround in the last few years (I think they were regular fixtures in the Bottom 10 on Page 2 at one point). Just too many teams in that 20-30 range and somebody gets squeezed out

Squealofthepig
September 18th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Just too many teams in that 20-30 range and somebody gets squeezed out

For non-voters, here is my 15-35 range (just in alphabetical order):

Cal Poly, Coastal Carolina, EWU, Holy Cross, Indiana State, Jacksonville State, Lehigh, Liberty, Maine, McNeese, Monmouth, Murray State, North Dakota, ODU, Sam Houston State, South Dakota, Southern Utah, Stephen F. Austin, Tennessee Tech, Towson, Youngstown State

Yes, I only had ten of those actually on my ballot, but wanted to include my list just to illustrate the difficulties in the 15-25 range, ranking wise.

Twentysix
September 18th, 2011, 08:55 PM

Cal Poly, Coastal Carolina, EWU, Holy Cross, Indiana State, Jacksonville State, Lehigh, Liberty, Maine, McNeese, Monmouth, Murray State, North Dakota, ODU, Sam Houston State, South Dakota, Southern Utah, Stephen F. Austin, Tennessee Tech, Towson, Youngstown State

Yes, I only had ten of those actually on my ballot, but wanted to include my list just to illustrate the difficulties in the 15-25 range, ranking wise.

Lehigh and YSU are in the top 10-15 for me. Everything else bolded is in my 15-25.

Ivytalk
September 18th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I have Indiana State in my top 25, but barely. Let's see what they can do this week. I'll be surprised if they end up a ranked team.

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2011, 11:04 PM

Monmouth, North Dakota, Tennessee Tech, Towson

I don't get Monmouth and Towson. Add up Villanova's season this far, and it is clear that they are not a quality win.

North Dakota played well against Fresno, but just last week got killed by Idaho. No sure on them.

What's the thought on Tenn Tech?

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Lehigh and YSU are in the top 10-15 for me. Everything else bolded is in my 15-25.

Why so high on YSU? Because they were close last year? They played Michigan State well for a while, but the to wins since haven't made me think 10-15 good.

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I have Indiana State in my top 25, but barely. Let's see what they can do this week. I'll be surprised if they end up a ranked team.

Agreed. I put them in, but mostly because no one else has built much of a resume yet. I look forward to things getting sorted out this weekend. (hopefully)

Squealofthepig
September 18th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I don't get Monmouth and Towson. Add up Villanova's season this far, and it is clear that they are not a quality win.

North Dakota played well against Fresno, but just last week got killed by Idaho. No sure on them.

What's the thought on Tenn Tech?

Excellent and fair points. Monmouth with a competitive loss vs. a Lehigh team that I like and a win over a CAA team means I want to track them. How good are they? I'm not sure - they're not in my top 25, but I am watching them, and I think it's valid to do so. Same with Towson - the Nova win may be a bit devalued, but they're a bit surprising, and a solid win vs. Morgan State (42-3) means something is going right. Again, Top 25? Probably not, but a team I want to keep track of, and maybe include if they continue with success on the field.

Tennessee Tech - as I said above, for this week, I think I overvalued road wins, and Tenn. Tech's win at MVC's EIU I may have overvalued. Still, with most home teams holding serve, a road win indicates a team is doing something right, and I like TT's 31-20 win on the road.

And North Dakota - as I mentioned in another thread, I wanted to include them in my top 25 (and can see how some subjective voters might do so), but couldn't put them in mine. They're proving they're a dangerous team, though.

Of these four you noted explicitly, one made my ballot, at 25, if that helps, and the others are 32, 34 and 35.

GoAgs72
September 18th, 2011, 11:32 PM
I had Indiana State at #23.

Squealofthepig
September 18th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Why so high on YSU? Because they were close last year? They played Michigan State well for a while, but the to wins since haven't made me think 10-15 good.

YSU I have on my close watch list; they crushed Valpo and won their conference (home) opener. Yeah, they lost at Michigan State, but of Michigan/Michigan State/Ohio State/Notre Dame, the Spartans are the only ones ranked in FBS. Not that that has anything to do with FCS - just like pointing out OSU, Notre Dame and Michigan are unranked. I can't quite include them, yet, but after their showdown with the Sycamores next weekend, we'll know more about the Penguins.

ngineer
September 18th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I moved them into the lower level of the top 25. They've earned some love. Now they have to show they can keep it.

Bam
September 19th, 2011, 07:45 AM
WKU is FBS?

Sycamore51
September 19th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Saturday's game in Terre Huate will answer questions for both INST and YSU. We gave up a few big plays, like the opening kick off, against Penn St and played poorly against a decent Butler team who has a very good passing game, but bad defense. We killed WKU, it wasn't even as close as the score shows, but they might be the worst team in FBS. On the other hand, YSU played tough against Michigan St, has a win over the worst team in FCS, and a win over an IllSt team that nobody really knows what to make of. I know we beat them at their place last year, and we bring everybody back. Not sure what they lost. I think it will be one of the top 5 FCS games in the country this weekend.