PDA

View Full Version : Hardest score

Cocky
September 15th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Has anyone ever analyzed scoring. My guess would be 4. Two safeties seem to be a very odd occurance.

Gringer1
September 15th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Yep. That's it.

DFW HOYA
September 15th, 2011, 09:16 PM
A 4-2 final would be the toughest.

Apphole
September 15th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I played a game of Madden last week that ended 5-2. Two safeties and a FG.

DFW HOYA
September 15th, 2011, 09:55 PM
The Dallas Cowboys once won an NFC divisional playoff game 5-0 over Detroit.

JALMOND
September 15th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Has anyone ever analyzed scoring. My guess would be 4. Two safeties seem to be a very odd occurance.

I'm going to show my age but I don't care. Many years ago, Arizona State led Nebraska at the end of the first quarter 4-0. I was watching the game on ESPN. I believe ASU went on to win 19-0, but I can't recall the year. It was back in the 80's though, I sure of that.

In Canada, you can have a score of 4-0 that is easier. One FG and one single (missed FG out of the 25 yard end zone).

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I'm going to show my age but I don't care. Many years ago, Arizona State led Nebraska at the end of the first quarter 4-0. I was watching the game on ESPN. I believe ASU went on to win 19-0, but I can't recall the year. It was back in the 80's though, I sure of that.

In Canada, you can have a score of 4-0 that is easier. One FG and one single (missed FG out of the 25 yard end zone).

1996. I should stop using college football warehouse

bojeta
September 15th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I got a kick out of turning on the Bethune Cookman game last week and the score was 8 to 5. You don't see a score like that every day.

Skjellyfetti
September 15th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Auburn 3 Mississippi State 2 from a few years ago was a pretty odd score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heP5lrBWmt8

I played a game of Madden last week that ended 5-2. Two safeties and a FG.

Damn. You must be awful at Madden. xlolx

Apphole
September 15th, 2011, 11:08 PM
I sure am

dgtw
September 15th, 2011, 11:19 PM
At halftime of Super Bowl IX, the Steelers led the Vikings 2-0.

The Rams once got three safeties in one game for the NFL record.

Sometime back in the 1970s, the Falcons won their first preseason game 3-0, then lost their next two games in which they scored exactly two points in each game.

DJKyR0
September 16th, 2011, 12:16 AM
It's gotta be four. For fun, here's the game that made me want to tear out my eyeballs the most while watching it: Iowa over Penn State in 2004, 6-4.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=242970213

dbackjon
September 16th, 2011, 01:28 AM
1996. I should stop using college football warehouse

yup - ASU had three safeties total

Dignan
September 16th, 2011, 03:32 AM
I can't remember, is it possible to get 1 point from returning a blocked extra point or catching it on the fly?

Milktruck74
September 16th, 2011, 06:39 AM
I can't remember, is it possible to get 1 point from returning a blocked extra point or catching it on the fly?

Pretty sure in College it is two. In High School it is automatically a dead ball when it is sure the try failed.

OL FU
September 16th, 2011, 06:43 AM

You get two points. See the Furman CCU game in 2006.:o

Smitty
September 16th, 2011, 07:21 AM
I would definitely say 4-2... 3 Safeties in a game would be pretty rare

dgtw
September 16th, 2011, 07:22 AM

You can't be too old or you'd have called it a rouge.

Gil Dobie
September 16th, 2011, 07:51 AM
1 is tough, as it's possible in Canadian Football where it's called a Rouge, if the kick returner cannot get out of the end-zone, or the ball bounces out of play through the end-zone.

TTUEagles
September 16th, 2011, 08:03 AM
A safety on an extra-point play/2-point conversion = 1 point...I have personally never seen it happen, though.

Pard4Life
September 16th, 2011, 08:36 AM
11-4 sounds pretty odd! Don't see many 11s in football.

UAalum72
September 16th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Do you win 1-0 on a forfeit?

goyotes
September 16th, 2011, 09:33 AM
6-4 in OT

TheRevSFA
September 16th, 2011, 09:34 AM
29-0 before the other team even gets an offensive possession..oh no..wait..it happened in Arkansas..nevermind.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 16th, 2011, 10:04 AM

Unless you're playing SC State in the playoffsxlolxxlolx

Smitty
September 16th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Just had a new thought, 324-177 would probably be a pretty hard score to reach...

IaaScribe
September 16th, 2011, 10:12 AM

That Arizona State game was in 1996. I remember watching at a party while I was still in college late at night on the East Coast. ASU went unbeaten in the regular season and lost to Ohio State in the Rose Bowl that year.

Squealofthepig
September 16th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I think we all agree 4-2 is probably the toughest. I'd just like to note that having this in overtime would be even better (4-2 OT). Of course, you can keep adding OTs to really make both sides' fanbase scream.

1andDone
September 16th, 2011, 05:29 PM
1-0 definitely, if we are talking about just flat out Football, but yeah 4-2.

bkrownd
September 16th, 2011, 06:12 PM
That Arizona State game was in 1996. I remember watching at a party while I was still in college late at night on the East Coast. ASU went unbeaten in the regular season and lost to Ohio State in the Rose Bowl that year.

I "watched" that game on a scrambled channel, but I'm sure it would have been even uglier unscrambled. xbawlingx

bkrownd
September 16th, 2011, 06:15 PM
With the current scoring system aren't there some combinations with the losing team only having 1 point that are actually impossible?

TTUEagles
September 16th, 2011, 06:20 PM
With the current scoring system aren't there some combinations with the losing team only having 1 point that are actually impossible?

yes, I posted this earlier, but, a safety during a 2-point conversion/PAT is worth 1 point. Is that what you were writing about?

bkrownd
September 16th, 2011, 06:25 PM
yes, I posted this earlier, but, a safety during a 2-point conversion/PAT is worth 1 point. Is that what you were writing about?

Yeah, it implies that 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1 and 7-1 (at least) are impossible final scores.

I keep forgetting that all ties are also impossible now - yes I'm old

Smitty
September 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM
What about the hardest score being a tie?

Pard4Life
September 16th, 2011, 07:28 PM
How do you even get a safety on a two-point attempt? I bet it will take 100 years in all levels of college football for it to happen.

TTUEagles
September 16th, 2011, 07:54 PM
wlogblog.wordpress.com: "In college football, there exists a strange rule called a “conversion safety,” which is just what it sounds like: a safety that occurs during the attempt at a one or two-point conversion. This itself is extremely rare, and has occurred only once. The most likely scenario for such a thing is that, during a regular extra-point attempt, the kick is blocked and the defense recovers in or near the endzone. Hoping to run it back, they do not kneel down and take the voluntary touchback. Instead they start to run, maybe dipping back into the endzone to try to find an opening. They are then tackled unexpectedly."
Stupid website doesn't cite when or with whom this took place!

bkrownd
September 16th, 2011, 07:57 PM
texas-texas a&M 2004 IIRC

Squealofthepig
September 16th, 2011, 11:47 PM
texas-texas a&M 2004 IIRC

Great memory!

The only documented incidence of a conversion safety in an NCAA Division I game occurred during a game between the University of Texas at Austin and Texas A&M University on Nov. 26, 2004. A dropped snap during an extra point kick attempt was fumbled by Texas. Jaxson Appel, a player for the Texas A&M defense, returned the recovered fumble for a one-point safety. The head coach of Texas at the time, Mac Brown, admitted after the game to his embarrassment that he did not know about the conversion safety rule.

Source: http://www.ehow.com/list_6784085_ncaa-football-rules-one_point-safety.html (not that ehow is the end-all be-all of football trivia or anything, but I vaguely remember this happening too).

Edit, after digging further:

Known one-point safeties:
1. Westminster vs. West Liberty State (NAIA Division II), September 7, 1996.
Westminster holder Kevin Freeman fumbled the snap. Abandoning the kick, he rolled to his right, but threw an interception, which Liberty caught on the 1-yard line. The interceptor was immediately tackled, causing a fumble that Liberty recovered in its own end zone.

2. Moorpark College vs. Bakersfield (Junior College), September 21, 1996.
Moorpark kicker Tim Wolleck's extra point was blocked and recovered by a Bakerfield defender at the 3. The defender retreated into his own end zone, and was tackled there.

3. Texas vs. Texas A&M, November 26, 2004.
Texas had just scored a touchdown off a blocked punt to cut Texas A&M's lead to 13-12 in the 3rd quarter. The snap on the extra point was low and was bobbled by backup holder Matt Nordgren, causing Dusty Mangum's kick to be blocked. A Texas A&M player picked the ball up but was immediately tackled and fumbled the ball into the end zone, where it was recovered by another Texas A&M player.

Source: http://quirkyresearch.blogspot.com/2006/08/one-point-safety.html

Twentysix
September 17th, 2011, 03:09 AM

1 hands down, its never happened.