PDA

View Full Version : "Division I shouldn't have As" Editorial from ASU

RadMann
April 15th, 2006, 10:00 AM
The article linked below is an opinion piece in the Appalachian State University student paper. The reader's comment to the peice is arguably better than the article itself.

" Off the Bench: Division I shouldn't have As
Thursday, 13 April 2006

Appalachian State University’s new Athletics Enhancement Plan provides a vast amount of opportunities for our athletic programs.

Despite the additional facilities and recruiting tools, the plan begs the question of whether Appalachian is using this program to gain Division I-A status in football.

Associate Athletics Director David Jackson and Sports Information Director Mike Flynn said the plan’s goal is to make ASU Athletics facilities the best they can be. Neither can deny the plan certainly provides options to make the I-A leap easier in the future.

Regardless of whether or not fans and alumni support the I-A jump, the real debate is whether the option will still be available when the time comes.

If the decision were up to me, I would get rid of the I-AA division all together.

This issue has been brought up before, but I think the competition in the lower divisions of football has been increasing steadily in talent......"

See link below for rest of article:

http://www.theapp.appstate.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1152&Itemid=39

TexasTerror
April 15th, 2006, 10:12 AM
If I-AA was eliminated, some I-AA programs could demote themselves down to the Division II level, which still provides scholarships, while some programs could make the jump to Division I, receiving 20 more scholarships for recruiting purposes.

Are we sure about this, especially since you need Div I football to remain Div I across the board? Unless the NCAA waives that, everyone is going to stay Div I or get rid of football for the most part, atleast in my eyes...

April 15th, 2006, 11:32 AM
The article linked below is an opinion piece in the Appalachian State University student paper...I was going to post this until I read the article. Too many errors etc. Of course, I wrote him a letter. :)

JohnStOnge
April 15th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I'm dumbfounded that a student at App State could write something like that right after App State wins a I-AA national championship.

He clearly wants the Mountaineers in I-A. I wonder how many national football championships he things they're going to get there?

Saint3333
April 16th, 2006, 08:31 AM
There are SOME ASU fans that think beating NC State next year would be a bigger win than the NC game. And SOME that thought the 1975 year when ASU beat South Carolina, Wake, and ECU was a better season. Wasn't around then so I can't comment. But the NC win for me would be bigger than a win over State next year.

Again I do not speak for ASU or the majority of the fans before someone on here gets upset:rolleyes:

April 16th, 2006, 09:17 AM
... the NC win for me would be bigger than a win over State next year. Again I do not speak for ASU or the majority of the fans...I'm sure that the vast majority of ASU fans feel the exact same way. No one is going to delete your post here just because you say a D-I playoff championship is bigger. :nod:

SoCon48
April 17th, 2006, 08:42 AM
I'm dumbfounded that a student at App State could write something like that right after App State wins a I-AA national championship.

He clearly wants the Mountaineers in I-A. I wonder how many national football championships he things they're going to get there?

Gotta remember that's one student's opinion, not that of all students, alumni, fans.

SoCon48
April 17th, 2006, 08:43 AM
There are SOME ASU fans that think beating NC State next year would be a bigger win than the NC game. And SOME that thought the 1975 year when ASU beat South Carolina, Wake, and ECU was a better season. Wasn't around then so I can't comment. But the NC win for me would be bigger than a win over State next year.

Again I do not speak for ASU or the majority of the fans before someone on here gets upset:rolleyes:

Having been around in 1975, I, too, did "enjoy" that season more. I'm not saying it was bigger, but more enjoyable.

The chances of beating NCSU with our having a new, less mobile quarterback is not too good. They have a whole summer to prepare for us.

MYTAPPY
April 17th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Saint, there was a guy I heard on a local radio show who called in and said the exact same thing. He would take a win over State rather than a NC. I about wrecked my car. Basically, in a nut shell, this guy seemed not pleased with our football program and he is an App alumn. I don't want that guy as an APP fan. We don't need him. I don't know why some are not pleased with the teams we play and think we should move up now. We are right where we need to be. Lets just play the game.

APP91
April 17th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Saint, there was a guy I heard on a local radio show who called in and said the exact same thing. He would take a win over State rather than a NC. I about wrecked my car. Basically, in a nut shell, this guy seemed not pleased with our football program and he is an App alumn. I don't want that guy as an APP fan. We don't need him. I don't know why some are not pleased with the teams we play and think we should move up now. We are right where we need to be. Lets just play the game.

Myt, the guy you are referring to is Doug Glenn (appman), doug is a huge supporter and wants to, like many of us, go D-1A. Not to start a bunch of stuff here, but how can anyone be please by playing Gardner Webb and Mars Hill?? Not to mention all of the small Privates in the SoCon.

OL FU
April 17th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Myt, the guy you are referring to is Doug Glenn (appman), doug is a huge supporter and wants to, like many of us, go D-1A. Not to start a bunch of stuff here, but how can anyone be please by playing Gardner Webb and Mars Hill?? Not to mention all of the small Privates in the SoCon.

I thought you did not want to start a buch of stuff here. :p :rolleyes:

MYTAPPY
April 17th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Not to start anything......That was his name and yes the whole G-W/Mars Hill thing stinks, but its not like we play them every year. Fault the SoCon for the small privates we play, not App. We have to play those guys. I just think we are fine where we are. No need to rush. I'd take an outright national championship than a golden corn chip statue for playing in the Frito Bowl.

OL FU
April 17th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Not to start anything......That was his name and yes the whole G-W/Mars Hill thing stinks, but its not like we play them every year. Fault the SoCon for the small privates we play, not App. We have to play those guys. I just think we are fine where we are. No need to rush. I'd take an outright national championship than a golden corn chip statue for playing in the Frito Bowl.

HHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMM, :rolleyes:

colgate13
April 17th, 2006, 09:59 AM
how can anyone be please by playing Gardner Webb and Mars Hill?? Not to mention all of the small Privates in the SoCon.

You would prefer bleeding red ink in the Sun Belt instead? :confused:

A fairer comparision should be made of your schedule over time. If someone from LSU looked at one year's sked and said: "App. State? How can anyone be pleased with that? We should be in the NFL!" What would you say to them?

OL FU
April 17th, 2006, 10:08 AM

A fairer comparision should be made of your schedule over time. If someone from LSU looked at one year's sked and said: "App. State? How can anyone be pleased with that? We should be in the NFL!" What would you say to them?

13, you don't understand. ASU is a huge school and part of the North Carolina system that includes UNC and NC State and East Carolina. These are the schools that ASU should be and would be competitive with if not held down by the SoCon and I-AA. They should not have to worry about the likes of Furman and others. They should swat them away like so much like the gnats that haunt Paulson Stadium.:rolleyes:

You know, I have no problem with any ASU fan or otherwise that has aspirations of I-A or whatever it will be called. This may be blasphemy but when the time comes I wish you sucess. (In fact the only former I-AA team I have not wished success are the yahoos from Marshall) But let's don't crap where you eat by knocking the small privates especially one that gives you all you want and when taking the series as a whole leads 21-12-3.:p

APP91
April 17th, 2006, 10:20 AM
13, you don't understand. ASU is a huge school and part of the North Carolina system that includes UNC and NC State and East Carolina. These are the schools that ASU should be and would be competitive with if not held down by the SoCon and I-AA. They should not have to worry about the likes of Furman and others. They should swat them away like so much like the gnats that haunt Paulson Stadium.:rolleyes:

You know, I have no problem with any ASU fan or otherwise that has aspirations of I-A or whatever it will be called. This may be blasphemy but when the time comes I wish you sucess. (In fact the only former I-AA team I have not wished success are the yahoos from Marshall) But let's don't crap where you eat by knocking the small privates especially one that gives you all you want and when taking the series as a whole leads 21-12-3.:p

OL, I promise I am not trying to put Furple or any one else down, really it is about commonality. I love the FU series and will be there again this year. The move, when/if we make it, is about advancing the school forward. We believe, as Doug has so eloquently stated, that athletics are the front porch to an academic institution. We want to grow ASU. We are roughly the size of Clempsum, 17k-15k. I did NOT say that we should compete with them in athletics at this point, but that is where we COULD aspire to be with our size.

At this point, it is about money, which we need to raise more!

OL FU
April 17th, 2006, 10:23 AM
OL, I promise I am not trying to put Furple or any one else down, really it is about commonality. I love the FU series and will be there again this year. The move, when/if we make it, is about advancing the school forward. We believe, as Doug has so eloquently stated, that athletics are the front porch to an academic institution. We want to grow ASU. We are roughly the size of Clempsum, 17k-15k. I did NOT say that we should compete with them in athletics at this point, but that is where we COULD aspire to be with our size.

At this point, it is about money, which we need to raise more!

And that is fine, just don't knock small privates you play. When you leave, you don't have to play us anymore:smiley_wi

APP91
April 17th, 2006, 10:23 AM

I would say, thanks for the cash, the experience, and can we do it again??

Don't really care, My world, you're livin' in it!

OL FU
April 17th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I would say, thanks for the cash, the experience, and can we do it again??

Don't really care, My world, you're livin' in it!

I believe he was speaking of the cash outflow, not inflow:rolleyes:

Regardless, I am with you. As much as I would hate to see ASU go and fully expect it and (if I was an App contributor) support it. Just quit blaming the small privates:eek: :cool: :D