PDA

View Full Version : What does the SoCon do next?

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2011, 03:07 PM
App is clearly on the way out. Do you think the conference would expand to maintain it's prestige as a football conference? I think when you look at it, here are the "likely" candidates (even though they aren't necessarily "likely")

Coastal Carolina-They bring something to the table in terms of being a public school; the conference is shifting towards a more private school mold but I think it would be in our best interest to maintain an approximate 50-50 public school-private school ratio to maintain the athletic prestige of the conference. I think it's apparent, based on nothing else but scheduling that Coastal would be interested in joining the SoCon....I mean look at their schedule the last couple of years, they've played App, Wofford, Furman, and GSU on multiple occasions. I think they could eventually step up in recruiting and be a great competitor year-in and year-out if ever given the invite. As good as they appear from those standpoints, I highly doubt they'll get the invite. The private schools such as Wofford and Furman don't seem to want to be acquainted with Coastal for academic reasons (Coastal also had a huge reputation as a party school).

Liberty - I would like to see Liberty in the Socon personally. No team could replace App, but Liberty could come close from a perspective of recruiting potential (like Coastal), filling seats (30k Stadium), and generating revenue (the Virginia market would become available to the SoCon). Right now, Liberty is probably the Boise State of the FCS IMO. A few problems with this one as well, from what I gather Liberty wants to be a FBS school at some point down the road and I'm not certain how some schools would feel be affiliated with "Jerry's school," I haven't heard any prospective on Liberty joining the Socon, I'd think it would be great, but I don't think they will.

Presbyterian -Presbyterian fits the mold that is trending in the Socon of small private schools. There's really not much to gain financially, in all honestly. From a football perspective they could become competitive eventually, but right now they don't offer much from that standpoint. They have a great history and rivalry with Wofford. Like Coastal, they schedule SoCon-heavy OOC, and clearly would like to be in our conference.

South Carolina State -like Liberty, they would fill seats and generate revenue. Athletically, they're not quite on our level but they could there very soon. It would be great for the conference and I think all of the conference would love to have SC State. I have heard commentary that the "good old boy amen corner" if you will from SC State probably doesn't want to leave the MEAC but I don't know about that one

McNeese State -this one is wishful thinking but hey what is there to lose from it? They'd offer a new market for the Socon and the Socon would definitely be a step up for them on the football field from the SouthLand. We expanded out west last time with Samford so why not again with McNeese?

Jacksonville -Not Jacksonville State, mind you. They fit the mold of SoCon school that the socon is looking for. There a small university of about 4k, and academics take precedence. They have good coaches and they could compete in the Socon after a few years of adjusting IMO, they would just have to be willing to do that but I don't know if they will.

Richmond and William & Mary would be good choices too, I just don't see them leaving the CAA for the Socon as they have not much of a step up athletically.

What are your thoughts AGS?

chattanoogamocs
September 15th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Kennesaw State

McTailGator
September 15th, 2011, 03:10 PM
No doubt wishful thinking.

But, the SoCon would NOT be a step up for McNeese.

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2011, 03:11 PM

From a football standpoint, definitely a step up

chattanoogamocs
September 15th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Coastal (no opinion...wouldn't be excited about them, but wouldn't be upset either)

Liberty (seems pretty determined to go FBS, so kinda pointless)

PC (I am not against private schools, but this move would really suck...just my opinion)

SC State (see CCU)

McNeese (way to far out of the footprint, cost prohibitive for travel...and I couldn't imagine they would have a bit of interest)

Jacksonville (no effing way)

Kennesaw (large public to replace a departing large public, keeps some balance between big/small/public/private, large market, easy drive for most of the SoCon...and most importantly adding football...not necessarily my favorite choice, but a really good fit...and they had conversation with the SoCon in the past when Danny Morrison was in charge)

ETSU/UNCC (bring ETSU back if they promise to add scholarship football in the next 5 years...bring in UNCC for 5 years as football only until ETSU is up and running)

Skjellyfetti
September 15th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Out of those I would go with Liberty, SCSU, Coastal... in that order.

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Out of the ones I've listed, I'd like to see any of them join. PC would be a great rival for Wofford every year but really they are not a very interesting prospect right now. They just aren't good enough. I'd LOVE to see Liberty or Coastal, but it's not happening. SC State could happen, but again I doubt it will (but it's more likely than Coastal or Liberty). Jacksonville would be good but they would take a year or 2 with transition. UNCC is a no-go. they'd just use us as a step up for FBS

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 15th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I think you just stay the course with your 8 existing teams for a few years. The CAA isn't exactly a stable conference right now. You might have Richmond and W&M quicker than you think.

alvinkayak6
September 15th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Coastal (no opinion...wouldn't be excited about them, but wouldn't be upset either)

Liberty (seems pretty determined to go FBS, so kinda pointless)

PC (I am not against private schools, but this move would really suck...just my opinion)

SC State (see CCU)

McNeese (way to far out of the footprint, cost prohibitive for travel...and I couldn't imagine they would have a bit of interest)

Jacksonville (no effing way)

Kennesaw (large public to replace a departing large public, keeps some balance between big/small/public/private, large market, easy drive for most of the SoCon...and most importantly adding football...not necessarily my favorite choice, but a really good fit...and they had conversation with the SoCon in the past when Danny Morrison was in charge)

ETSU/UNCC (bring ETSU back if they promise to add scholarship football in the next 5 years...bring in UNCC for 5 years as football only until ETSU is up and running)

Pretty good thoughts here. Totally agree on Jacksonville U. I think Coastal or Presbyterian or UNC-C are the most likely three. Presbyterian fits nicely from a geographic standpoint with the center of the conference around Spartancityburgtown. Maybe somebody not on the list?

LouiseBFree
September 15th, 2011, 04:05 PM
So App State leaves and the SoCon is considered a step up for McNeese?... I don't think so... But thanks for coming and we hope you play again soon...

From a football standpoint, definitely a step up

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2011, 04:09 PM
So App State leaves and the SoCon is considered a step up for McNeese?... I don't think so... But thanks for coming and we hope you play again soon...

Wofford+ Furman+ GSU + Elon+ Chattanooga on the rise> The Southland (Central Arkansas and SFA being the only notable teams in there....whom haven't won a playoff game in years)

SoCon is a top 2 conference with App and no less than top 4 without App, What is the Southland? 5th or 6th currently?

Next question

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Pretty good thoughts here. Totally agree on Jacksonville U. I think Coastal or Presbyterian or UNC-C are the most likely three. Presbyterian fits nicely from a geographic standpoint with the center of the conference around Spartancityburgtown. Maybe somebody not on the list?

Coastal isn't going to happen....I know I listed them but I really don't think Wofford, Furman, or even the Citadel will let that go down.

gasoutherneagle
September 15th, 2011, 04:14 PM
One thing is almost certain. Appy leaves for the FBS, we either find the way up ourselves or we bolt to greener FCS pastures. Otherwise, you might as well call it the Georgia SOUTHERN & the whoever CONFERENCE. Appy and GSU leave... GOODBYE auto-bid!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 15th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I think you just stay the course with your 8 existing teams for a few years. The CAA isn't exactly a stable conference right now. You might have Richmond and W&M quicker than you think.

If only the Patriot League would offer football scholarships... *sigh*

chattownmocs
September 15th, 2011, 04:20 PM
They arent going to do anything. They are going to wait for the FBS level to go to super conferences. And when the teams left out get fed up, they will cnvince them to join another playoff division featuring the top of FCS and the bottom of FBS. App State isnt going anywhere.

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2011, 04:29 PM

oh yeah....There's only been about 2 relevant teams from the southland in the playoffs since 2000.....but none since 2005. McNeese was one of those teams and the other was Texas State. only about 3 or 4 southland members have made the playoffs outside of McNeese. You've only had about 10 or 11 playoff wins since 2000 as a conference of current members. Outside of App State, the Socon has 21 victories, with 4 teams making the playoffs other than App State. Not to mention the Citadel was a win away from making in 2007 and chattanooga was a game away last year.

OL FU
September 15th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I would love Coastal for reasons other than football (and football too). Golf is excellent. Baseball is excellent. Basketball has been good. Oh, but there is the rub. Problems with the NCAA as well as what you said about the privates concern on academics. But, you know if ASU and maybe GSU leave. What better choice could we make for a larger school in the footprint. The privates may not have a choice and maybe Coastal's basketball team can stay out of trouble. If so, I would take them in a heartbeat.

Liberty - As someone else said, they want to be FBS so no thanks. We don't want to be an announced stepping stone.

PC - No thanks. We don't need three small private schools all within a 40 mile area. Besides, PC has some financial issues ( or at least they did a few years ago) which will prohibit their improvement.

SC State would be another I would take in a heartbeat. I would hope their other sports programs would make some improvements.

McNeese - ain't happening from McNeese's standpoint. Forget everything else, they are a long way away.

Jacksonville - No Scholarships. No entry. We already have seen how good Davidson faired in the later part of their participation and I think they actually gave some scholarships then.

William and Mary and Richmond if interested would have to be tops on the list. Re-admission of long lost members. Would also be kinda funny that they left with the admission of our now powerhouse team to return after their departure.:p Don't know about W&M, but Richmond would probably have a difficult time changing basket ball conferences and I am not really interested in affiliate members.

Eastern Kentucky - xnodx No knowledge of their interest and it is slightly out of the footprint but would certainly consider them a good add.

which brings us to the problem. Lots of compliants about adding small private schools but that is the pool we have. There are other schools JSU, etc that have been discussed but now that JSU is going FBS it doesn't make sense. Would have loved to have had them when they were interested. But the real problem the SoCon has unless we take new entrants to FCS there are just not a lot of large public schools to choose in our current footprint. Expansion is difficult unless we add more than one school in that area.

Go Apps
September 15th, 2011, 04:58 PM
As an ASU fan - hang tight I am not sure we are headed anywhere unless the right invitation comes along and that would be perhaps the ACC - which may never come - so don't assume we are gone...

OL FU
September 15th, 2011, 05:16 PM
As an ASU fan - hang tight I am not sure we are headed anywhere unless the right invitation comes along and that would be perhaps the ACC - which may never come - so don't assume we are gone...

Oh ****, now I'm bummed;)

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 15th, 2011, 05:37 PM

I really believe that ETSU returning to the SoCon would be the best thing that ever happened to the school. The Atlantic Sun is not the same league when ETSU joined up as a number of schools left (Troy, UCF and Ga. State left the league before ETSU officially joined, FAU left the year ETSU joined, Campbell and GWU left after ETSU joined with Belmont on the way out). With Stanton on the way out, it paves the way for a leader who, I hope, is willing to rebuild the bridges that were burned courtesy of Stanton and Mullins.

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I don't think ETSU or VMI would come back....I distinctly left them off because I don't believe in the whole prodigal son thing in this case :P

gasoutherneagle
September 15th, 2011, 06:29 PM
It seems oddly serene that none of the "privates" seem, even slightly, distressed by the prospect of losing the two biggest programs in the conference. Kind of lets us "big publics" know just how truly welcome we were to begin with. Just observing... please, continue.xcoffeex

Milktruck74
September 15th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I haven't put too much thought into all this, but would an OVC/SoCon super conference make any sense? It would expand the footprint, but it could be split into two divisions with rotating cross divisional play in football. Football is usually the driver behind conference affiliation,there is also the other sports to consider. The SoCon needs a few more Wrestling teams to make sense of the tourney brackets. Men's soccer, baseball....????? Thoughts?

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2011, 07:04 PM
It seems oddly serene that none of the "privates" seem, even slightly, distressed by the prospect of losing the two biggest programs in the conference. Kind of lets us "big publics" know just how truly welcome we were to begin with. Just observing... please, continue.xcoffeex

GSU isn't going anywhere (Thank God) they don't have the $$$$ from all I hear

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I haven't put too much thought into all this, but would an OVC/SoCon super conference make any sense? It would expand the footprint, but it could be split into two divisions with rotating cross divisional play in football. Football is usually the driver behind conference affiliation,there is also the other sports to consider. The SoCon needs a few more Wrestling teams to make sense of the tourney brackets. Men's soccer, baseball....????? Thoughts?

Too big....Though we really should consider raiding some of these conference, I mean between the OVC, Big South, and Socon, the Socon is by far the most prestigious conference football-wise....and football runs the college football world. The only thing that keeping the Socon from doing that would be politics....

chattanoogamocs
September 15th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I don't think ETSU or VMI would come back....I distinctly left them off because I don't believe in the whole prodigal son thing in this case :P

VMI is playing with a group of teams that it can be more competitive with (they wanted to leave)

But you're crazy if you don't think ETSU wouldn't want to come back (they didn't want to leave)

(sometimes you can come home again...just ask Davidson)

chattanoogamocs
September 15th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I really believe that ETSU returning to the SoCon would be the best thing that ever happened to the school. The Atlantic Sun is not the same league when ETSU joined up as a number of schools left (Troy, UCF and Ga. State left the league before ETSU officially joined, FAU left the year ETSU joined, Campbell and GWU left after ETSU joined with Belmont on the way out). With Stanton on the way out, it paves the way for a leader who, I hope, is willing to rebuild the bridges that were burned courtesy of Stanton and Mullins.

+1 and
rep. added :)

Go...gate
September 15th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Liberty was certainly talking FBS in the years before the Great Recession, and before Dr. Falwell passed away. But many things are different now, and the upgrade costs real dollars. So does LU still have the wherewithal and desire to make that move?

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2011, 07:22 PM
VMI is playing with a group of teams that it can be more competitive with (they wanted to leave)

But you're crazy if you don't think ETSU wouldn't want to come back (they didn't want to leave)

(sometimes you can come home again...just ask Davidson)

If I'm not mistaken, ETSU dropped football and the Socon pretty much showed them the door afterwards. No football at ETSU for now and it sounds like it's not popular there either so they're seemingly irrelevant now

superman7515
September 15th, 2011, 07:33 PM
South Carolina State -like Liberty, they would fill seats and generate revenue. Athletically, they're not quite on our level but they could there very soon. It would be great for the conference and I think all of the conference would love to have SC State. I have heard commentary that the "good old boy amen corner" if you will from SC State probably doesn't want to leave the MEAC but I don't know about that one

I don't think South Carolina State would be as bottom of the barrel as you're making them out to be. They have won the last few MEAC Championships and have proven that they can be competitive with the SoCon teams. 2008 in the first round against App State it was 24-21 going into the 4th quarter before App won 37-21. 2009 in the first round against App State it was 13-13 in the 4th quarter before App State returned a fumble for the winning score and beat SC State 20-13. Last year they didn't perform well against Georgia Southern and the triple option, but then neither did #1 William & Mary. I think they'd have to give the invite serious consideration considering the decreased travel costs and increased RPI/SOS of the SoCon basketball vs MEAC basketball.

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I don't think South Carolina State would be as bottom of the barrel as you're making them out to be. They have won the last few MEAC Championships and have proven that they can be competitive with the SoCon teams. 2008 in the first round against App State it was 24-21 going into the 4th quarter before App won 37-21. 2009 in the first round against App State it was 13-13 in the 4th quarter before App State returned a fumble for the winning score and beat SC State 20-13. Last year they didn't perform well against Georgia Southern and the triple option, but then neither did #1 William & Mary. I think they'd have to give the invite serious consideration considering the decreased travel costs and increased RPI/SOS of the SoCon basketball vs MEAC basketball.
oh I know they can, but you have to remember that's one game out of the season, they're on top of the MEAC for a reason, however the MEAC is not the SOCON. I mean, they wouldn't be picked to win the conference for a couple years. I'd love to see them join and they would add so much but from what I've heard people say, part of their base is uninterested with the Socon.

49RFootballNow
September 15th, 2011, 07:51 PM
UNCC is a no-go. they'd just use us as a step up for FBS

I don't mean this as harshly as it may sound, but I don't think any school can "use" the SoCon to move up to FBS. If they could App. and G. South would have been gone a long time ago. Affiliate memberships, and in a way full conference memberships as well, are nothing more than preset home and home contracts with multiple partners. I suppose you could make an argument that an affiliate could use a conference by winning it and gaining the playoff autobid, but they'd still have to beat the "regular" conference members on the field to achieve that.

CID1990
September 15th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Thread moot. ASU and GaSouthern not going anywhere.

LOL @ the Jacksonville suggestion.

AppStsGr8
September 15th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't think McNeese would view the SoCon as a step up. McNeese would be a great addition to any FCS conference. Geographically, McNeese doesn't make SoCon sense.

Personally, I think SC State woudl be a great fit in the SoCon. Their fans were some of the finest I've met. They knew their football and were passionate about their team. The team was good as well.

chattanoogamocs
September 15th, 2011, 08:41 PM
If I'm not mistaken, ETSU dropped football and the Socon pretty much showed them the door afterwards. No football at ETSU for now and it sounds like it's not popular there either so they're seemingly irrelevant now

Like I said...

if. they. agreed. to. add. football.

...honestly, this whole thread is pretty irrelevant, as no one is leaving any time soon.

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2011, 08:48 PM
From the sound of things the folks in Boone could announce anytime

LouiseBFree
September 15th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Is it your bedtime yet? Play time is over. xlolxxlolxxlolx

Wofford+ Furman+ GSU + Elon+ Chattanooga on the rise> The Southland (Central Arkansas and SFA being the only notable teams in there....whom haven't won a playoff game in years)

SoCon is a top 2 conference with App and no less than top 4 without App, What is the Southland? 5th or 6th currently?

Next question

Accelerati Incredibilus
September 15th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Love all the experts proclaiming ASU isn't going anywhere. They obviously don't know Ken Peacock very well. IF CUSA isn't in the cards (which I believe is in some arrangement), don't be suprised to see ASU jump to the CAA. With Rhode Island and UMass already gone and Maine and UNH also appear to be on the way out the CAA will look very different. Will W&M (5,800 students), Richmond (4,200 students) and Villanova (4,200 students) want to continue an association with JMU (19,000 students), ODU (24,000 students), Towson (17,000 students), and Georgia State (31,000 students), or will they renew their vows with the SoCon? Nova (who isn't going to the Big East) may be left with few options.

bosshogg
September 15th, 2011, 09:14 PM
We would love to join. The only SCSU fans who wouldn't jump at this are those old fans who are afraid of change. The socon or the big south are better fits for us than the MEAC

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Is it your bedtime yet? Play time is over. xlolxxlolxxlolx

yeah, don't acknowledge the argument because you know, from a football standpoint, the socon is lightyears ahead of the southland, with or without App. Go to bed Child, the grownups are talking

Saint3333
September 15th, 2011, 09:33 PM
PC??? - YT I usually have a lot of respect for your posts, but there is no way adding PC would be a good move for the SoCon.

CCU, Liberty, KSU should be the first three on the card (no particular order). ETSU if they added football back would be a good fit, but this is unlikely.

I don't think ASU leaving is an close as some think. The BCS conferences are just reshuffling right now, no room for expansion, yet.

Sly Fox
September 15th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Liberty was certainly talking FBS in the years before the Great Recession, and before Dr. Falwell passed away. But many things are different now, and the upgrade costs real dollars. So does LU still have the wherewithal and desire to make that move?

Liberty has much more wherewithal and financial capabilities now than ever before. Money is not a problem with us stepping up to FBS ... at all. The only thing stopping us is the lack of an invitation ... and that could be coming in the not too distant future.

Appfan_in_CAAland
September 15th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Love all the experts proclaiming ASU isn't going anywhere. They obviously don't know Ken Peacock very well. IF CUSA isn't in the cards (which I believe is in some arrangement), don't be suprised to see ASU jump to the CAA. With Rhode Island and UMass already gone and Maine and UNH also appear to be on the way out the CAA will look very different. Will W&M (5,800 students), Richmond (4,200 students) and Villanova (4,200 students) want to continue an association with JMU (19,000 students), ODU (24,000 students), Towson (17,000 students), and Georgia State (31,000 students), or will they renew their vows with the SoCon? Nova (who isn't going to the Big East) may be left with few options.

I've thought for a long time that a ASU/GaSou swap for UR and W&M would be a winning idea for all parties involved - except for W&M's basketball and field hockey programs but who cares about those. And its hard to imagine ASU's basketball in a conference that has had two team in the Final Four in the last 5 years.

apaladin
September 15th, 2011, 11:56 PM
I listened to an interview with ASU AD(Cobb?) on the radio here in Greenville the other morning and he said they have determined they could make the move financially(still have my doubts). The question now is do they want to, need to etc and would it be a good move. I guess we will see. I for one would be very upset to lose ASU and/or GSU. As for PC, why would the SoCon even consider a school that makes Wofford look like the University of Michigan size wise? NOT NO, BUT HELL NO TO PC AND PLEASE DON"T EVER BRING IT UP AGAIN!!
Here's hoping ASU stays put.

OL FU
September 16th, 2011, 05:45 AM

I don't think that is the case, it just wasn't the topic of the thread. If the conversation was about moving to a different FCS conference I would be worried. Since the conversation is about moving to FBS, I don't think there is much anyone can do about it.

OL FU
September 16th, 2011, 05:47 AM
I don't mean this as harshly as it may sound, but I don't think any school can "use" the SoCon to move up to FBS. If they could App. and G. South would have been gone a long time ago. Affiliate memberships, and in a way full conference memberships as well, are nothing more than preset home and home contracts with multiple partners. I suppose you could make an argument that an affiliate could use a conference by winning it and gaining the playoff autobid, but they'd still have to beat the "regular" conference members on the field to achieve that.

I think you missed his point. It wasn't that you were using the Socon to move up, it is that you would be using the Socon as interim territory until you did. My personal opinion is that type of entry is not good for the Socon.

OL FU
September 16th, 2011, 05:48 AM

Now that would bother me.

Milktruck74
September 16th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Too big....Though we really should consider raiding some of these conference, I mean between the OVC, Big South, and Socon, the Socon is by far the most prestigious conference football-wise....and football runs the college football world. The only thing that keeping the Socon from doing that would be politics....

Sorry, I had to point your statement of the obvious....

phoenixphanatic21
September 16th, 2011, 09:18 AM
To copy what has been said, I'd love to add Coastal, SC State, KSU, Liberty or UNCC (the last two only if they want to stay in the FCS. And I'm sure I'm the only one who wants UNCC in the SoCon). If we can get Richmond and/or W&M, I'd do it in a heartbeat. No way we should let PC in. Not a fan of that move.

AppMan
September 16th, 2011, 09:27 AM
PC??? - YT I usually have a lot of respect for your posts, but there is no way adding PC would be a good move for the SoCon.

CCU, Liberty, KSU should be the first three on the card (no particular order). ETSU if they added football back would be a good fit, but this is unlikely.

I don't think ASU leaving is an close as some think. The BCS conferences are just reshuffling right now, no room for expansion, yet.

I think it is closer to happening than it may appear. The dominos will fall quickly as the rush to get into one of the 4 BCS mega conferences will be intense. The PAC 12 hinting they migtht go to 18 schools and may be the first peek at the blueprint for this mega conference. Nobody at the BCS level wants a long drawn out playoff like we have, but the amount of money associated with a playoff will be incredible. Four conferences with two divisions of 9 schools is the perfect situation and the 4 conference championship games would essentially be the first round of an easily workable 3 round playoff.

Chancellor Peacock has positioned ASU to be among the few FCS schools to join with the remaining FBS members in the next division. These remaining conferences will more than likely form their own playoff, which will appease most of the FCS hold outs, and (in some people's minds) the college football world will finally be in balance.

LeadBolt
September 16th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I've thought for a long time that a ASU/GaSou swap for UR and W&M would be a winning idea for all parties involved - except for W&M's basketball and field hockey programs but who cares about those. And its hard to imagine ASU's basketball in a conference that has had two team in the Final Four in the last 5 years.

This may very well work to everyone's advantage. I don't see UR and W&M moving, unless the landscape changes.

UR is very happy with the A-10 for all sports except football (remember they left CAA for A10, 5 or so years ago), and I don't see the SoCon accepting them as a football associate member, much like the UNCC situation, except that UR has a good basketball team now, not just in the past and it adds a market not already tapped by SoCon.

W&M is very happy with full CAA membership as it is currently constituted, but who know how long that will remain the same.

W&M's mens basketball is improving. In 2009, they defeated Wake Forest and Maryland and pushed UNC to the brink. My thought is that they would be more competitive in the SoCon than in the CAA, certainly an upgrade from ASU and GSU. (Let's not discuss women's bb).

BTW, as a nit picking detail in the enrollments listed above, I believe that graduate students are included in UR's 4200 and not in W&M's 5800. About 1400 of UR's students listed are postgrads or part-time and another 1900 should be added to W&M. Not sure it changes anything though.

alvinkayak6
September 16th, 2011, 10:00 AM
I think the difference between 4000 and 6000 is negligible. We are really talking only about schools differing between 2k and 10k. With 2k enrollments, you are only talking about living alums in the 15k range. 10k gives you the size of a small city.

LeadBolt
September 16th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I think the difference between 4000 and 6000 is negligible. We are really talking only about schools differing between 2k and 10k. With 2k enrollments, you are only talking about living alums in the 15k range. 10k gives you the size of a small city.

That's why I said it probably doesn't matter, but the point is the difference is between less than 3000 and soon to be 6000 full time undergraduates, which is more than double, and private (UR) vs. state (W&M).

kdinva
September 16th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I don't think ETSU or VMI would come back...

not so fast there. ;)

fc97
September 16th, 2011, 10:51 AM
PC- No
Liberty- FBS intentions
Jacksonville- Not unless scholarships

SC State- Heck Yes
Coastal- Heck Yes
Kennesaw- Heck Yes

What about other area schools

VMI
Tenn Tech
W&M
UofR
UNCP
North Alabama

Don't think the conference takes another private school. Furman, Elon, Wofford and Samford have an image. Places like G-Webb and PC don't have that image.

NCAA rules state a minimum of 6 schools for 2 years. The SoCon will still have 7. The autobid will be intact.

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2011, 11:14 AM
This may very well work to everyone's advantage. I don't see UR and W&M moving, unless the landscape changes.

UR is very happy with the A-10 for all sports except football (remember they left CAA for A10, 5 or so years ago), and I don't see the SoCon accepting them as a football associate member, much like the UNCC situation, except that UR has a good basketball team now, not just in the past and it adds a market not already tapped by SoCon.

W&M is very happy with full CAA membership as it is currently constituted, but who know how long that will remain the same.

W&M's mens basketball is improving. In 2009, they defeated Wake Forest and Maryland and pushed UNC to the brink. My thought is that they would be more competitive in the SoCon than in the CAA, certainly an upgrade from ASU and GSU. (Let's not discuss women's bb).

BTW, as a nit picking detail in the enrollments listed above, I believe that graduate students are included in UR's 4200 and not in W&M's 5800. About 1400 of UR's students listed are postgrads or part-time and another 1900 should be added to W&M. Not sure it changes anything though.

I think (and I'm no inside source guy by any stretch of the imagination) we would be more willing to accept Richmond as a football only member seeing as they would be good for competition and they have no intention of moving up to FBS any time soon. Charlotte can't say the same for the latter statement. Let's remember, The Socon does have VMI as a wrestling-only member, so I think they would be willing to allow such an exception for football for the sake of competition

tribe_pride
September 16th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Don't know how it would be to W&M's advantage to go to Southern unless forced to because of a breakup of the CAA. 65% of the students roughly are from Virginia (many Northern Virginia). Of the remaining 35%, I would guess that by far the majority of them are from north of Virginia which is one of the reasons why the current CAA footprint is so good. Few W&M students are from the southeast.

SoCon48
September 16th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I think (and I'm no inside source guy by any stretch of the imagination) we would be more willing to accept Richmond as a football only member seeing as they would be good for competition and they have no intention of moving up to FBS any time soon. Charlotte can't say the same for the latter statement. Let's remember, The Socon does have VMI as a wrestling-only member, so I think they would be willing to allow such an exception for football for the sake of competition

Richmond was in the SoCon before hardly any of us were and left along with William and Mary.

Reign of Terrier
September 16th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Richmond was in the SoCon before hardly any of us were and left along with William and Mary.

yes, I know this......

GaSouthern
September 16th, 2011, 05:43 PM
CCU, Liberty, Kennesaw St. in that order is my list.

GSU_Alum08
September 16th, 2011, 11:12 PM
didnt read the whole thread out of laziness, but on the first and this page, I haven't seen any mention of UNCC (UNC Charlotte). Starting up next year, lots of students, and here in charlotte, there is A LOT of buzz about the program. I live here in Charlotte, and I have seen quite a few UNCC Football tshirts being worn by people that don't even have affiliation with the school. I would actually like to see them in the SoCon.... Mainly so I can see GSU locally once every other year. haha

49RFootballNow
September 16th, 2011, 11:14 PM
didnt read the whole thread out of laziness, but on the first and this page, I haven't seen any mention of UNCC (UNC Charlotte). Starting up next year, lots of students, and here in charlotte, there is A LOT of buzz about the program. I live here in Charlotte, and I have seen quite a few UNCC Football tshirts being worn by people that don't even have affiliation with the school. I would actually like to see them in the SoCon.... Mainly so I can see GSU locally once every other year. haha

You'll get to see GSU in Charlotte at least once, with or without SoCon affiliate membership.

OL FU
September 17th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I am sure if I looked hard enough I would see why people think Kennesaw State should be considered. But maybe someone can fill me in. What do the play now? Which division, How large Etc

AppMan
September 17th, 2011, 08:26 AM
The players are beginning to get in line for the tidal wave that is coming.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6980076/big-east-members-syracuse-pitt-talks-atlantic-coast-conference

Reign of Terrier
September 17th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I am sure if I looked hard enough I would see why people think Kennesaw State should be considered. But maybe someone can fill me in. What do the play now? Which division, How large Etc

They're D2 making the jump to D1. The plan is to go FCS but who knows how long they stay as they are the third biggest University in Georgia

OL FU
September 17th, 2011, 10:03 AM
The players are beginning to get in line for the tidal wave that is coming.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6980076/big-east-members-syracuse-pitt-talks-atlantic-coast-conference

Unlike a lot of posters who aren't sure ASU is going elsewhere, I firmly believe they are going elsewhere and as soon as they can. Everything they have done over the last 5 or 6 years has pointed in that direction. GSU eventually too I just don't think they are going to be ready as fast as ASU. and while some GSU fans might not like staying it will certainly be good for the SoCon if you don't leave together. It will be much easier to attract a large public school in if we have one of you still hanging around.

chattanoogamocs
September 17th, 2011, 10:22 AM
They're D2 making the jump to D1. The plan is to go FCS but who knows how long they stay as they are the third biggest University in Georgia

They're not D2 making the jump to DI...they've been a member of the Atlantic Sun since 2005.

They voted last fall to start a football program and the students voted in favor of paying $85 a semester to fund the program. They are scheduled to play their first season in 2014. Current enrollment is just over 20,000 (BTW, they already have a brand new stadium...it is used by the university for it's soccer teams and is shared with the Atlanta Beat women's pro team). Vince Dooley is heading up the committee to start the program.

chattanoogamocs
September 17th, 2011, 10:24 AM
BTW...if they did join, the SoCon would have two bird mascots named Scrappy...Scrappy the Mockingbird and Scrappy the Owl. Fierce! :)

OL FU
September 17th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the info on Kennesaw. I think generally the Socon should stay away from new programs or step ups form D-2, but I do think we should take a look at each individually. Sounds like KSU might be a good add.

fc97
September 17th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the info on Kennesaw. I think generally the Socon should stay away from new programs or step ups form D-2, but I do think we should take a look at each individually. Sounds like KSU might be a good add.

appalachian and georgia southern are leaving; too much going on to come to another conclusion. that's why we should extend invitations to coastal carolina and sc state to replace those two now. the southern conference without app and gsu is still more attractive than the big south and meac.

then start looking outside carolina to bring up to 14 like the commissioner wants. kennesaw st, north alabama and tennessee tech would fit that well.

chattanoogamocs
September 17th, 2011, 01:12 PM
KSU has a lot of potential across the board...in the last decade they were in D2 (1996-2005), they won 5 national championships (W Soccer, M Basketball, Baseball and Softball x2). They had basically outgrown D2.

fc97
September 17th, 2011, 01:37 PM
KSU has a lot of potential across the board...in the last decade they were in D2 (1996-2005), they won 5 national championships (W Soccer, M Basketball, Baseball and Softball x2). They had basically outgrown D2.

yes.

sc state and coastal carolina as app and gsu replacements.

kennesaw and one other to round out the conference

end with stability of membership, a focused core in a specific region and a balanced membership.

Terrierforlife
September 17th, 2011, 08:09 PM

You're out of your mind!!!!

Terrierforlife
September 17th, 2011, 08:11 PM
One thing is almost certain. Appy leaves for the FBS, we either find the way up ourselves or we bolt to greener FCS pastures. Otherwise, you might as well call it the Georgia SOUTHERN & the whoever CONFERENCE. Appy and GSU leave... GOODBYE auto-bid!

Dream on. App. leaves and the Terriers own the SOCON!

Terrierforlife
September 17th, 2011, 08:17 PM
PC- No
Liberty- FBS intentions
Jacksonville- Not unless scholarships

SC State- Heck Yes
Coastal- Heck Yes
Kennesaw- Heck Yes

What about other area schools

VMI
Tenn Tech
W&M
UofR
UNCP
North Alabama

Don't think the conference takes another private school. Furman, Elon, Wofford and Samford have an image. Places like G-Webb and PC don't have that image.

NCAA rules state a minimum of 6 schools for 2 years. The SoCon will still have 7. The autobid will be intact.

Good insight.

Terrierforlife
September 17th, 2011, 08:20 PM
appalachian and georgia southern are leaving; too much going on to come to another conclusion. that's why we should extend invitations to coastal carolina and sc state to replace those two now. the southern conference without app and gsu is still more attractive than the big south and meac.

then start looking outside carolina to bring up to 14 like the commissioner wants. kennesaw st, north alabama and tennessee tech would fit that well.

I don't believe that GSU leaves, but App has one foot out the door. I would love to see Coastal added to the SOCON.

bosshogg
September 19th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I would be good with joining the SOCON or the Big South. Anywhere would be better than the MEAC

fc97
September 19th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I would be good with joining the SOCON or the Big South. Anywhere would be better than the MEAC

then you sc state fans get to lobbying your admins and we socon fans will get to lobbying ours and get this ball rolling. at the end of the day, coastal and sc state are socon caliber schools and fit the images the socon wants. sorry to the other schools but they do not. and the private schools in the area not in the socon that are offering scholarships don't either. mercer, maybe if they go scholarship or stetson.

PaladinNation
September 19th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Honestly, I know it won't happen but I would love to see Furman and The Citadel jump ship and merge with some of the Virginia schools… UR and W&M, and I'll throw VMI in the mix too.

Furman just admitted the largest freshmen class in history, I believe over 840 students. Dr. Smola appears to be committed to rebuilding Furman football, but it doesn't stop there… Furman has a top 5 recruiting class in soccer. Furman made a big move in men's tennis hiring… Kelly Jones. It appears Furman is serious again about athletics and Furman can grow as a school in enrollment, and I see this being a future advantage for Furman.

In no way am I saying Furman could or should make a move to FBS football. But Furman could be attractive (across the board) to another FCS football conference. My concern is does the SoCon become an upgrade conference for Big South teams.

I have nothing against Coastal, PC, Liberty, etc… but I'd much rather play UR. W&M, JMU, VMI, Delaware.

chattownmocs
September 19th, 2011, 02:18 PM
All the speculation is laughable. There is no secret what the southern conference is going to try and do.....Nothing. They are going to go to the teams left out of the super conferences and convince them to join a new super division of Playoff football. App State is going nowhere. Ever.

Apphole
September 19th, 2011, 02:22 PM
All the speculation is laughable. There is no secret what the southern conference is going to try and do.....Nothing. They are going to go to the teams left out of the super conferences and convince them to join a new super division of Playoff football. App State is going nowhere. Ever.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?92848-What-will-chattownmocs-say-today&highlight=Chattownmocs

phoenix3
September 19th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Honestly, I know it won't happen but I would love to see Furman and The Citadel jump ship and merge with some of the Virginia schools… UR and W&M, and I'll throw VMI in the mix too.

Furman just admitted the largest freshmen class in history, I believe over 840 students. Dr. Smola appears to be committed to rebuilding Furman football, but it doesn't stop there… Furman has a top 5 recruiting class in soccer. Furman made a big move in men's tennis hiring… Kelly Jones. It appears Furman is serious again about athletics and Furman can grow as a school in enrollment, and I see this being a future advantage for Furman.

In no way am I saying Furman could or should make a move to FBS football. But Furman could be attractive (across the board) to another FCS football conference. My concern is does the SoCon become an upgrade conference for Big South teams.

I have nothing against Coastal, PC, Liberty, etc… but I'd much rather play UR. W&M, JMU, VMI, Delaware.

I'd like to see Elon hitch a ride on that wagon as well. While Elon hasn't been in the SoCon for that long, we have made a strong athletic committment both in facilities and coaching. Elon is also growing both in student body and student quality. We have a law school, PT school, highly rated MBA, adding a Physicians' Assistant school and others. The total enrollment is now 5,709.