PDA

View Full Version : Columbia Football- 50 years since their one and only conference title

Franks Tanks
September 15th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Columbia's only Ivy championship came in 1961- 50 years ago! I lifted the below from the Ivy board and thought I would share.

T'is the night before kick off
And all around here
Lion fans are dead certain
That THIS is the year

Were bigger we're faster
Our QB is great
We have a nose tackle
Who once was all state

No Tigers no Quakers
No Crimson no Red
No Elis or Bruins
We’ll leave em all dead

The long drought is over
We know that it's true.
Till it all falls apart
Right after game two

Full marks to the Lions
You never surrender
But again you'll not roar
In the chill of November

alvinkayak6
September 15th, 2011, 03:01 PM
xthumbsupx

danefan
September 15th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Columbia's only Ivy championship came in 1961- 50 years ago! I lifted the below from the Ivy board and thought I would share.

T'is the night before kick off
And all around here
Lion fans are dead certain
That THIS is the year

Were bigger we're faster
Our QB is great
We have a nose tackle
Who once was all state

No Tigers no Quakers
No Crimson no Red
No Elis or Bruins
We’ll leave em all dead

The long drought is over
We know that it's true.
Till it all falls apart
Right after game two

Full marks to the Lions
You never surrender
But again you'll not roar
In the chill of November

I have a funny feeling its going to fall apart during game two......

Franks Tanks
September 15th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I have a funny feeling its going to fall apart during game two......

Columbia is better than you may think, but they are still Columbia.

danefan
September 15th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Columbia is better than you may think, but they are still Columbia.

A few of my former teammates are Assistant Coaches at Columbia. They have definitely improved over the last three years or so. They were in a lot of the games they lost last year and the Princeton and Towson games were feathers in their cap for sure.

We'll get a good look this weekend.

bluehenbillk
September 15th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Could be worse, you could be Towson...

MplsBison
September 15th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Out of morbid curiosity --- what does take to be a football player at Columbia?

I imagine the answer is somewhat similar to asking the same of MIT, John's Hopkins or U of Chicago.

danefan
September 15th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Out of morbid curiosity --- what does take to be a football player at Columbia?

I imagine the answer is somewhat similar to asking the same of MIT, John's Hopkins or U of Chicago.

It takes a DI athlete with a **** load of brains and dedication.

MplsBison
September 15th, 2011, 09:35 PM
It takes a DI athlete with a **** load of brains and dedication.

How can they be a DI athlete if they aren't getting an athletic scholarship? Just sayin..

BlueHenSinfonian
September 15th, 2011, 10:10 PM
How can they be a DI athlete if they aren't getting an athletic scholarship? Just sayin..

Does every player on the NDSU roster have a scholarship? Are the ones without the scholarships not D1?

MR. CHICKEN
September 15th, 2011, 10:18 PM
16093....SOMETHIN' 'BOUT......BABY BLUE....JES' ASK RHODEY........LIONS.......AWK!

Ivytalk
September 15th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Nice stadium, but a pain to get to. Half an hour by subway from Penn Station. Sheesh!

Pard4Life
September 16th, 2011, 12:01 AM

Students are specifically recruited for football at Princeton. A student is not recruited specifically for football at Chicago, MIT. And that whole aid thing being the same as a scholarship that I explained two weeks ago.

blukeys
September 16th, 2011, 12:25 AM
There is no better mascot for the "Lions" of Columbia than the Lion in the movie "Second Hand Lions". By the way anyone who has not seen this movie is missing out. Two of the greatest actors of the last 30 years, Robert Duvall and Michael Caine, are fantastic in this movie.

The overaged lioness in this movie is cared for by a boy and is about as fearsome as a house cat. However in the end she does rise up and save the day for one big event. Unfortunately for Columbia, football seasons require more than one win.

Pard4Life
September 16th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I bet Columbia regrets replacing us on the schedule... this team can't even figure out how to schedule wins!

Pard4Life
September 16th, 2011, 09:11 AM
You would think that this team has something going for it when two of your powerful supporters are Robert Kraft and the president of Columbia!

You have to schlep from 112th to 218th for practice everyday though.

In 1996 they came close... I think 8-2 overall with a bizarre narrow loss to Princeton. They beat Lafayette 3-0. 1996 was weird because they lost a lot of games the year before and after. After that you have to go back to 1961 and Lou Little in the 1940s for any success.

Pard4Life
September 16th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Oh and the funny thing about their only title in 1961 is that it's a co-championship.

Bogus Megapardus
September 16th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I bet Columbia regrets replacing us on the schedule... this team can't even figure out how to schedule wins!

Trouble is, it's always a home-and-home. We've played Columbia 42 times since 1889. In over 120 years of football between the two teams, the Lions have never won in Easton. I can't blame them for trying a different approach.