PDA

View Full Version : SoCon TV on PBS/ESPN3

apaladin
September 15th, 2011, 09:45 AM
According to local sportstalk radio affilliates have been added for Alabama and Tennessee. They also said that all of the PBS telecasts will be available on ESPN3 which will be good for out of market peeps. I did notice that last weeks local broadcast of Furman/The Citadel was on ESPN3 also.

Gringer1
September 15th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I watched that one on espn3 and was relieved that it wasn't the PBS broadcast. It looked like it was filmed in technicolor and I got worried that all of the package games would look like that.

appfan2008
September 15th, 2011, 10:27 AM
PBS is embarrasing but ESPN3 is not... good news

TheBisonator
September 15th, 2011, 10:54 AM
"Coming up next: Appalachian State at Georgia Southern. Followed by Caillou. Only on PBS."

apaladin
September 15th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I watched that one on espn3 and was relieved that it wasn't the PBS broadcast. It looked like it was filmed in technicolor and I got worried that all of the package games would look like that.

The quality wasn't very good, but the Citadel didn't turn on the lights until halftime.

whoanellie
September 15th, 2011, 02:23 PM
the PBS on Dish Network is not available in the Piedmont Triad area.... so dissapointed

alvinkayak6
September 15th, 2011, 02:43 PM
The quality wasn't very good, but the Citadel didn't turn on the lights until halftime.

I think the lighting is timed for the most part. Nobody plans ahead for these kinds of things.

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Should we expect commentary from Elmo and Big Bird?

boonegoon
September 15th, 2011, 06:47 PM
the PBS on Dish Network is not available in the Piedmont Triad area.... so dissapointed

Can you not pick it up over the air? We get a good signal here in Asheville. Do they have webcast?

OL FU
September 16th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I believe the Furman-Citadel games was sponsored (paid for by Furman). I have seen a few of those before and those productions are usually done as cheaply as possible.

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I'll have my cake and not eat it, frankly.

Furman was accessible to me last weekend where it typically never was. Technicolor or not, I appreciate getting to watch it.

OL FU
September 16th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I'll have my cake and not eat it, frankly.

Furman was accessible to me last weekend where it typically never was. Technicolor or not, I appreciate getting to watch it.

And I wasn't complaining, I just don't expect a Furman or most other game paid for by a particular school to be the highest quality

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I think the lighting is timed for the most part. Nobody plans ahead for these kinds of things.

16100....AS DUH SUNSETS....EARLIER..AN'...EARLIER......EVEN DUH CHICKEN.....KNOWS TA RE-SET...DUH MALIBUS.....xrolleyesx...AWK!

Smitty
September 16th, 2011, 08:48 AM
PBS is embarrasing but ESPN3 is not... good news

Meh I will actually get to watch SoCon football games this year because of the PBS deal. Embarrassing to you but fun for me.

asumike83
September 16th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Is the picture quality that much better on ESPN3 as opposed to the PBS broadcast? If that is the case then I would probably just connect my laptop to the TV and watch it that way, ESPN usually has very reliable live stream. I've been lucky to make it to all the games in person thus far, but I may need to do that when we play Wofford.

phoenixphanatic21
September 16th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Meh I will actually get to watch SoCon football games this year because of the PBS deal. Embarrassing to you but fun for me.

Ditto this. I'm just glad to be able to watch the games again.

SoCon48
September 16th, 2011, 03:30 PM

It is in the Charlotte area under a PBS Explorer channel. I've forgotton the call letters.

ElonPride
September 16th, 2011, 03:32 PM

+1

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Is the picture quality that much better on ESPN3 as opposed to the PBS broadcast? If that is the case then I would probably just connect my laptop to the TV and watch it that way, ESPN usually has very reliable live stream. I've been lucky to make it to all the games in person thus far, but I may need to do that when we play Wofford.

The Furman/Cit game was a local Charleston channel that was carried by ESPN3. That is to say, it was a local broadcast (with all its inefficiencies) on ESPN's network.

As OL FU stated, Furman paid for the broadcast, so it was Furman announcers. Still, it was more Furman football than I normally get to watch.