PDA

View Full Version : UND's Future Opponents

darell1976
September 15th, 2011, 08:32 AM
According to a poster on siouxsports.com. AD Brian Faison said on the UND's Coaches Show that UND has secured a deal to play FBS Bowling Green for $350,000 he didn't say for what year yet, and is close to an agreement with FBS Colorado State. As for NDSU we are "almost there" but it will NOT be every year. Its nice to see new opponents with San Diego State, Wyoming, Bowling Green, now Colorado State. Idaho is the only FBS team we have played twice. I would like UND to play FBS teams all around the country to gain more exposure and recruiting than play the same team every year. As for NDSU I hope he means it by saying "almost there". UND should get a rotation going with all 3 Dakota teams. NDSU our hated rival, USD was our newest rival, and SDSU is a good Dakota team.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/sioux-coaches-show/id307959722

Here is a podcast of the coaches show.

darell1976
September 15th, 2011, 09:40 AM
After listening to the podcast Faison said he was disappointed with the money UND got with Idaho ($125,000 for the game in 2010, and 2011), and $275,000 against Fresno State. Those games were a deal before Faison took over. Also he would like to see Minnesota down the road and said with NDSU it would be every other year is what it will be, because that is what AD Gene Taylor wants and not every year like Faison wants.

TheBisonator
September 15th, 2011, 10:58 AM
After listening to the podcast Faison said he was disappointed with the money UND got with Idaho ($125,000 for the game in 2010, and 2011), and $275,000 against Fresno State. Those games were a deal before Faison took over. Also he would like to see Minnesota down the road and said with NDSU it would be every other year is what it will be, because that is what AD Gene Taylor wants and not every year like Faison wants.

As it should be.

darell1976
September 15th, 2011, 11:39 AM
As it should be.

What every other year or what Gene Taylor wants.xlolx I don't care it would be nice if it was every year but as long as the teams play and the smack and the hype returns that is fine!

EmeraldCityBison
September 15th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I assume it would be every other year in Fargo. No need to travel up river.

MplsBison
No person, NDSU fan or otherwise, has ever come up with a valid argument for why NDSU and UND should not play every year, non-conference.

Go Bison
Well, UND got their way when they refused to sign the 4 year home and home agreement when NDSU went DI. How long did that agreement sit on Roger Thomas' desk before he decided to cancel? Every other year will be better for both programs in the long run with both schools getting more home games.

MplsBison
September 15th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I assume it would be every other year in Fargo. No need to travel up river.

Why would Faison sign up for that? Dream on.

EmeraldCityBison
September 15th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Why would Taylor agree to ever play in GF?

MplsBison
September 15th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Why would Taylor agree to ever play in GF?

Given that NDSU will never pay UND to play in Fargo there is no other possible sequence than year1: Fargo, year 2: off, year 3: GF, year 4: off, etc.

DJKyR0
September 15th, 2011, 12:56 PM
No person, NDSU fan or otherwise, has ever come up with a valid argument for why NDSU and UND should not play every year, non-conference.

Not valid by your standards, probably not. Money is a pretty valid reason for the university's higher-ups, though.

MplsBison
September 15th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Not valid by your standards, probably not. Money is a pretty valid reason for the university's higher-ups, though.

If NDSU wants to do a BCS guarantee game as the only non-conference away game and then pay two teams to come to Fargo - every year, there's nothing wrong with that.

It just means that NDSU will never be able to have a home/home deal with any FCS school. Therefore the argument is not specific to UND - therefore, it's not a valid argument for not scheduling UND.

Next.

No_Skill
September 15th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Who needs a valid argument? I say we don't schedule them for spite.

If they want an in state yearly rivalry, I hear Minot St. and U-Mary are now D-II. Have at them.

We won't be playing them for a great while...see my sig.

darell1976
September 15th, 2011, 02:41 PM
One reason UND quit playing NDSU is that the field was uneven you have a FCS team against a DII team so of course NDSU would always have the upper hand, now that the playing field is getting even again (scholarships), UND and NDSU should play each other. I know GT would rather play the likes of Wagner, and St. Francis and almost alway have home games but its time to start playing the big boys and UND has had NDSU's number winning 10 out of the last 13 or something like that. So whether NDSU keeps the deal of every other year or breaks it since they may actually have to play a OOC FCS game on the road we will find out.

Go Bison
September 15th, 2011, 04:02 PM
One reason UND quit playing NDSU is that the field was uneven you have a FCS team against a DII team so of course NDSU would always have the upper hand, now that the playing field is getting even again (scholarships), UND and NDSU should play each other. I know GT would rather play the likes of Wagner, and St. Francis and almost alway have home games but its time to start playing the big boys and UND has had NDSU's number winning 10 out of the last 13 or something like that. So whether NDSU keeps the deal of every other year or breaks it since they may actually have to play a OOC FCS game on the road we will find out.

NDSU would have loved to see Georgia Southern keep their home and home agreement last weekend instead of playing St. Francis. However, they bought out of the contract to play a DII team at home. NDSU played Georgia Southern back in 2006 and they were too scared to come to Fargo to play. Also, NDSU played Montana State in 2006 but they are not scheduled to complete their home and home agreement until 2013! NDSU did have some luck playing the Southland conference with home and home agreements but these other agreements haven't worked out in NDSU's favor. So NDSU has learned from these experiences, plus it makes them a lot more money.

darell1976
September 15th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I wonder how much UND or NDSU will pay the other to come to their venue?

Go Bison
September 15th, 2011, 04:09 PM

UC Davis and Sacramento State kept playing even when Sacramento State went DI and UC Davis stayed DII and they still play to this day. It is a tradition both schools wanted to keep and they were able to do so. NDSU was prepared to travel to UND during that 4 year home and home agreement. Think about that a DI team traveling to play a DII team. Let me ask you this, NDSU moved up to DI and UND stayed DII who made the right decision? The answer is obvious.

DJKyR0
September 15th, 2011, 04:31 PM
its time to start playing the big boys

Playing UND is the solution to that? xlmaoxxlmaox

Try both Montana and Montana State coming to Fargo for home-and-homes in the next three years.

DJKyR0
September 15th, 2011, 04:41 PM
It just means that NDSU will never be able to have a home/home deal with any FCS school. Therefore the argument is not specific to UND - therefore, it's not a valid argument for not scheduling UND.

So you're looking for reasons not to specifically schedule UND? Too bad. Gene Taylor offered them the chance to do an every-other-year deal and they turned it down. Can't say he didn't try.

A game against UND will happen eventually, maybe in the next five years. But what folks need to realize is that it's going to happen on NDSU's terms when UND can't sell their home venue when they don't field a quality product and schedule bad OOC games. The only thing holding it back right now is Faison's insistence on doing it every year.

MplsBison
September 15th, 2011, 05:19 PM
So you're looking for reasons not to specifically schedule UND? Too bad. Gene Taylor offered them the chance to do an every-other-year deal and they turned it down. Can't say he didn't try.

A game against UND will happen eventually, maybe in the next five years. But what folks need to realize is that it's going to happen on NDSU's terms when UND can't sell their home venue when they don't field a quality product and schedule bad OOC games. The only thing holding it back right now is Faison's insistence on doing it every year.

Right, as I said there is no valid reason to not schedule UND specifically. You can make the argument that NDSU needs a BCS payday + 6 home games every year, but that's not specific to UND.

Apparently, it's no longer going to be holding it back - from the sounds of it UND will be coming to Fargo, a year off and then NDSU will be going to Grand Forks.

Neither school will ever pay the other a dime for a game.

DJKyR0
September 15th, 2011, 05:21 PM
You can make the argument that NDSU needs a BCS payday + 6 home games every year, but that's not specific to UND.

Never said it was, nor did it need to be.

MplsBison
September 15th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Never said it was, nor did it need to be.

You didn't define the terms - I did.

darell1976
September 15th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Playing UND is the solution to that? xlmaoxxlmaox

Try both Montana and Montana State coming to Fargo for home-and-homes in the next three years.

UND is no Wagner if that is all NDSU can get.

MplsBison
September 15th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Ok, lets try this one:

Georgia Southern would like to apologize for backing out of the game in Fargo this year by offering NDSU a 2-for-1 deal. No guarantee money goes either way, 2 games in Fargo, 1 game in Georgia. The games will be played over 5 years, with each year being an 11 game maximum schedule year: year 1 will be in Fargo, year 2 off, year 3 in Georgia, year 4 off and year 5 in Fargo.

Accept the deal or not?

darell1976
September 15th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Ok, lets try this one:

Georgia Southern would like to apologize for backing out of the game in Fargo this year by offering NDSU a 2-for-1 deal. No guarantee money goes either way, 2 games in Fargo, 1 game in Georgia. The games will be played over 5 years, with each year being an 11 game maximum schedule year: year 1 will be in Fargo, year 2 off, year 3 in Georgia, year 4 off and year 5 in Fargo.

Accept the deal or not?

Of course Bison fans would take that deal because they know UND will beat them and they want no part of UND.

MNBISON
September 15th, 2011, 09:08 PM
UND is no Wagner if that is all NDSU can get.

Are you sure about that Darrell? Well you might have a point, Wagner is a full FCS school unlike UND and although I haven't looked at their schedule I doubt they have NAIA and DII schools coming to their house this year. So yeah, I guess you're right, UND is no Wagner.

darell1976
September 15th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Are you sure about that Darrell? Well you might have a point, Wagner is a full FCS school unlike UND and although I haven't looked at their schedule I doubt they have NAIA and DII schools coming to their house this year. So yeah, I guess you're right, UND is no Wagner.

Yep next season UND will not be a Wagner we will be in a tougher conference than them so yeah you guys stick with Wagner while we look at the Nickel Trophy in our case and wonder when the next year will be when we beat NDSU.

gjw007
September 16th, 2011, 01:45 PM
UND and NDSU should schedule to play every year. In state and out-of-conference schools such as Florida and Florida State do it. There is no real reason not to continue to play the game. It had been reported over and over that the DII playoff selection at the time of scheduling penalized teams for playing out-of-division making it unlikely that a team that wants to make the playoffs in DII would schedule out of division. These rules were later changed but that doesn't help at the time of scheduling.

Did UND make the right decision? For the time period, probably yes as the school had it sights on winning the championship and the first step to do so is to get into the playoffs. Long term, probably not as it created additional bad feelings between the two schools. Taylor's every-other-year provides him some protection in ND but make no mistake, it is something that the people of the state wish to see happen and the only school dragging its feet at the moment is NDSU. In other states, the legislature has gotten involved to ensure the rivalries continue and Taylor would prefer not to have to play UND yearly but if politics gets involved, all bets are off for all parties. He is playing the same game Roger Thomas did; it doesn't mean either is right.

FargoBison
September 16th, 2011, 02:05 PM
UND and NDSU should schedule to play every year. In state and out-of-conference schools such as Florida and Florida State do it. There is no real reason not to continue to play the game.

No they shouldn't, sure if we had a 12 game schedule like FSU and Florida have but we don't have that luxury. Our schedule will not revolve around playing UND, we want one FBS game and six home games. Playing UND every year completely screws that up, the only way an every year game works with an 11 game schedule is if there was a neutral site to play the game at and in ND there is no such facility.

darell1976
September 16th, 2011, 02:27 PM
No they shouldn't, sure if we had a 12 game schedule like FSU and Florida have but we don't have that luxury. Our schedule will not revolve around playing UND, we want one FBS game and six home games. Playing UND every year completely screws that up, the only way an every year game works with an 11 game schedule is if there was a neutral site to play the game at and in ND there is no such facility.

So you would rather not play UND on the road and substitute that with Wagner at home. Just so you can have your 6 home games. How stupid does that sound. We would rather play Cupcake State at home and ruin our SOS and be laughed at by the FCS community plus our own fans and alumni just so we don't have to play UND 70 miles away. Is that right?

darell1976
September 16th, 2011, 02:30 PM
UND and NDSU should schedule to play every year. In state and out-of-conference schools such as Florida and Florida State do it. There is no real reason not to continue to play the game. It had been reported over and over that the DII playoff selection at the time of scheduling penalized teams for playing out-of-division making it unlikely that a team that wants to make the playoffs in DII would schedule out of division. These rules were later changed but that doesn't help at the time of scheduling.

Did UND make the right decision? For the time period, probably yes as the school had it sights on winning the championship and the first step to do so is to get into the playoffs. Long term, probably not as it created additional bad feelings between the two schools. Taylor's every-other-year provides him some protection in ND but make no mistake, it is something that the people of the state wish to see happen and the only school dragging its feet at the moment is NDSU. In other states, the legislature has gotten involved to ensure the rivalries continue and Taylor would prefer not to have to play UND yearly but if politics gets involved, all bets are off for all parties. He is playing the same game Roger Thomas did; it doesn't mean either is right.
There was talk about the ND legislature getting involved to force the two schools to play but there was extreme opposition for the legislature to go forward. Plus NDSU fans in the legislature wouldn't go for it remember they want their 6 home games.

FargoBison
September 16th, 2011, 02:32 PM
So you would rather not play UND on the road and substitute that with Wagner at home. Just so you can have your 6 home games. How stupid does that sound. We would rather play Cupcake State at home and ruin our SOS and be laughed at by the FCS community plus our own fans and alumni just so we don't have to play UND 70 miles away. Is that right?

We play in the MVFC, we don't need UND and honestly we can schedule whoever we want. If we do what we need to do in the MVFC things will take care of themselves. If we win the MVFC or compete in the playoffs, nobody will be laughing at the end of the season. People can laugh all they want right now for all I care.

That said I doubt anyone will be laughing when our schedule includes the likes of Montana and Montana State in future seasons.

darell1976
September 16th, 2011, 02:34 PM
We play in the MVFC, we don't need UND and honestly we can schedule whoever we want. If we do what we need to do in the MVFC things will take care of themselves.

Okay. Take your 6 home games and your games vs Cupcake A and Cupcake B. Doesn't make your team that much greater if you start 2-0 against teams that won't show you how your team measures up with the Top 25 FCS group.

TheBisonator
September 16th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Okay. Take your 6 home games and your games vs Cupcake A and Cupcake B. Doesn't make your team that much greater if you start 2-0 against teams that won't show you how your team measures up with the Top 25 FCS group.

OOC home games for 2012-2014:

Robert Morris (best overall team in one of the worst FCS conferences)
TBA
Western Carolina (weak team, but in the 2nd best FCS conference)
Montana State(no explanation needed)
Montana (no explanation needed)
TBA

If we can grab a decent OVC team for TBAs 2012 and 2014 (such as Tennessee Tech or Murray State), how bad really does that make our home OOC schedule overall, not counting the MVFC meat grinder we have to trudge through for 8 weeks??

You may not understand this, cause your team doesn't draw flies to its home games, but home football games for NDSU mean MONEY IN THE BANK. Just like Sioux Hockey, Bison Football makes A LOT OF MONEY. Average of $250,000-300,000 per game. Which is why we always want 6 a year.

An average UND home game is worth, what, 100 grand?? To NDSU it's worth 250 grand at least. Hence why home games mean so much to us and why we do what we do-doo-dooo.

darell1976
September 16th, 2011, 03:25 PM
OOC home games for 2012-2014:

Robert Morris (best overall team in one of the worst FCS conferences)
TBA
Western Carolina (weak team, but in the 2nd best FCS conference)
Montana State(no explanation needed)
Montana (no explanation needed)
TBA

If we can grab a decent OVC team for TBAs 2012 and 2014 (such as Tennessee Tech or Murray State), how bad really does that make our home OOC schedule overall, not counting the MVFC meat grinder we have to trudge through for 8 weeks??

You may not understand this, cause your team doesn't draw flies to its home games, but home football games for NDSU mean MONEY IN THE BANK. Just like Sioux Hockey, Bison Football makes A LOT OF MONEY. Average of $250,000-300,000 per game. Which is why we always want 6 a year.

An average UND home game is worth, what, 100 grand?? To NDSU it's worth 250 grand at least. Hence why home games mean so much to us and why we do what we do-doo-dooo.

I see that you are finally getting quality teams to the dome. Instead of Wagner, St. Francis, Lafayette, Morgan St, Austin Peay, Central Conn St. These were 2008-2011 OOC home games I left off South Dakota because they are a former conference and now for you guys a future conference memeber. The FCS community looks at these games and laugh. Because they are easy wins that doesn't prove how good you are. Look we killed Wagner but finished 3-8. But keep your 6 home games because even Brian Faison said himself that it will be every other year. So we don't have to bicker on this subject. We will save that for the first meeting of the Bison Sioux game for 2014?? (It may be the earliest non-playoff meeting).

Our OOC home games so far are for 2012-2014

SD Mines '12
Central Arkansas '12
Montana '13
Valparaiso '13
South Dakota State '13
Robert Morris '14
NDSU???? '14???

TheBisonator
September 16th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I see that you are finally getting quality teams to the dome. Instead of Wagner, St. Francis, Lafayette, Morgan St, Austin Peay, Central Conn St. These were 2008-2011 OOC home games I left off South Dakota because they are a former conference and now for you guys a future conference memeber. The FCS community looks at these games and laugh. Because they are easy wins that doesn't prove how good you are. Look we killed Wagner but finished 3-8. But keep your 6 home games because even Brian Faison said himself that it will be every other year. So we don't have to bicker on this subject. We will save that for the first meeting of the Bison Sioux game for 2014?? (It may be the earliest non-playoff meeting).

I have a little project for you, Darrell, should you accept it.

Go online and find me 40 FCS programs that have had a stronger Out-of-conference HOME schedule than NDSU from the years 2008-2011. Use your best judgment to decide which ones they are.

(There are 125 FCS programs, so I think 40 is more than fair to determine if something is laughable)

NDSU has had:

Austin Peay (OVC)
Central Connecticut State (NEC)
Wagner (NEC)
Morgan State (MEAC)
South Dakota (GWFC)
Lafayette (Patriot)
St. Francis PA (NEC)

And remember: A LOT of the FCS schools have played sub-DI's. NDSU hasn't played a sub-DI in five years.

If you can find me a spread better than that for 40 teams in the FCS, come back to me with them, and your comment will be proven correct.

darell1976
September 16th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I have a little project for you, Darrell, should you accept it.

Go online and find me 40 FCS programs that have had a stronger Out-of-conference HOME schedule than NDSU from the years 2008-2011. Use your best judgment to decide which ones they are.

(There are 125 FCS programs, so I think 40 is more than fair to determine if something is laughable)

NDSU has had:

Austin Peay (OVC)
Wagner (NEC)
Morgan State (MEAC)
South Dakota (GWFC)
Lafayette (Patriot)
St. Francis PA (NEC)

And remember: A LOT of the FCS schools have played sub-DI's. NDSU hasn't played a sub-DI in five years.

If you can find me a spread better than that for 40 teams in the FCS, come back to me with them, and your comment will be proven correct.

23-36 .390 home schedule. I accept the challenge and will get back to you with my results.

TheBisonator
September 16th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Hell, I might as well get you started. I'll do the MVFC schools:

Western Illinois:

Quincy (DII)
Stephen F. Austin (Southland)
Valparaiso (Pioneer)
Sam Houston State (Southland)
Jacksonville (Pioneer)

Indiana State:

Southeast Missouri State (OVC)
Eastern Illinois (OVC)
St. Joseph's IN (DII)
Quincy (DII)
Butler (Pioneer)

Northern Iowa:

Nicholls State (Southland)
South Dakota (GWFC)
South Dakota (GWFC)
St. Francis PA (NEC)
Southern Utah (GWFC)

South Dakota State:

McNeese State (Southland)
Cal Poly (GWFC)
Georgia Southern (SoCon)
North Dakota (GWFC)
Southern Utah (GWFC)

Illinois State:

Eastern Illinois (OVC)
Austin Peay (OVC)
Central Missouri (DII)
Eastern Illinois (OVC)
Morehead State (OVC)
South Dakota (GWFC)

Southern Illinois:

Hampton (MEAC)
North Dakota (GWFC)
Southwest Baptist (DII)
Quincy (DII)
Southeast Missouri State (OVC)
Eastern Illinois (OVC)

Missouri State:

Washburn (DII)
Tennessee-Martin (OVC)
Murray State (OVC)
Eastern Kentucky (OVC)
Murray State (OVC)

Youngstown State:

Central State OH (DII)
Liberty (Big South)
Austin Peay
Butler (Pioneer)
Valparaiso (Pioneer)
St. Francis PA (NEC)

I would give South Dakota State and MAYBE Northern Iowa the nod over NDSU's schedule. All the other 6 are worse, IMO.

JSUBison
September 16th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I don't understand your hard on with NDSU's OOC. Bisonator said it best. Read this very carefully, I've repeated his quote to make sure you get the point.

darell1976
September 16th, 2011, 04:03 PM
So far N. Iowa (.472), Southern Illinois (.522), and Missouri State (.429) are the only ones I have checked so far.

TheBisonator
September 16th, 2011, 04:08 PM
So far N. Iowa (.472), Southern Illinois (.522), and Missouri State (.429) are the only ones I have checked so far.

Winning percentage isn't a fair metric, because teams schedule other teams years in advance. How was NDSU supposed to know a couple years ago that Lafayette would suck this year??

You have to use more subjective judgment.

darell1976
September 16th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Winning percentage isn't a fair metric, because teams schedule other teams years in advance. How was NDSU supposed to know a couple years ago that Lafayette would suck this year??

Are you frickin kidding me. Because so far your whole conference has a better home OOC schedule than NDSU did. NDSU's OOC opponents had a .390 winning percentage..pretty sad. Compared to UNI, .472, SIU, .522, MSU, .429, and now WIU .433. How else was I to measure it.

Squealofthepig
September 16th, 2011, 04:22 PM

Difficult to be more subjective - just adds more room to argue. How about agreeing to use average GPI or something similar? I'm not always the first to rush to NDSU's defense, but I think it's difficult to look at how they've scheduled since moving up and stating they're lining up pure patsies. If nothing else, look at 2006, when they went undefeated in the FCS and 1-1 against FBS (win over Ball State, loss to Minnesota). And the FCS wins included road wins at Stephen F. Austin, Georgia Southern, Southern Utah and UC Davis. Then look at '07 (last year of transition?) when they again went 10-1, with wins over Central Michigan and Minnesota.

That's not to take anything away from North Dakota - I'm glad to see you guys getting a lot of great games scheduled, and I'd love to see an occasional rivalry game between UND and NDSU. But denigrating NDSU's schedule really doesn't add much to the argument - indeed, if you're saying that NDSU's schedule is poor, you can't say adding UND to the calendar does anything other than possibly dilute that more.

darell1976
September 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Difficult to be more subjective - just adds more room to argue. How about agreeing to use average GPI or something similar? I'm not always the first to rush to NDSU's defense, but I think it's difficult to look at how they've scheduled since moving up and stating they're lining up pure patsies. If nothing else, look at 2006, when they went undefeated in the FCS and 1-1 against FBS (win over Ball State, loss to Minnesota). And the FCS wins included road wins at Stephen F. Austin, Georgia Southern, Southern Utah and UC Davis. Then look at '07 (last year of transition?) when they again went 10-1, with wins over Central Michigan and Minnesota.

That's not to take anything away from North Dakota - I'm glad to see you guys getting a lot of great games scheduled, and I'd love to see an occasional rivalry game between UND and NDSU. But denigrating NDSU's schedule really doesn't add much to the argument - indeed, if you're saying that NDSU's schedule is poor, you can't say adding UND to the calendar does anything other than possibly dilute that more.

If Montana and Montana St were in different conferences for the last 8 years and had a chance to either play every year or every other year wouldn't you rather play every year to renew that hatred. And using the excuse we would rather have 6 home games and 2 of them being Cupcake A and B instead of an hour drive against your most hated rival seem like a stupid excuse? I know its all about $$$ but come on. If UND can somehow make it work why couldn't NDSU since NDSU funds football a lot more than UND does.

DJKyR0
September 16th, 2011, 04:39 PM

Pump the brakes there darell, before you start dogging our OOC schedule....well, Montana Western, Sioux Falls, and SD School of Mines. Yeah, UND knows how to schedule those OOCs.

Now before you break out the tried-and-true "We're in transition" mewling, let's take a look at NDSU's OOC games in the equivalent final year of transition:
Stephen F. Austin
Sam Houston State
Central Michigan
Western Illinois
Miss.Valley State
Minnesota
Illinois State

That's an all-Division-I schedule. Might want to try out one of those before you start laughing at other schools' OOC schedules. With the opener in Forks next year set as SD School of Mines...well, enough said.

As for this:

Of course Bison fans would take that deal because they know UND will beat them and they want no part of UND.

My little brothers used to say stuff like this a lot when I wouldn't play Mario Kart. The shellacking both USD and SDSU put on you guys last year really shouldn't leave a whole lot of questions as to how a game would go.

darell1976
September 16th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Pump the brakes there darell, before you start dogging our OOC schedule....well, Montana Western, Sioux Falls, and SD School of Mines. Yeah, UND knows how to schedule those OOCs.

Now before you break out the tried-and-true "We're in transition" mewling, let's take a look at NDSU's OOC games in the equivalent final year of transition:
Stephen F. Austin
Sam Houston State
Central Michigan
Western Illinois
Miss.Valley State
Minnesota
Illinois State

That's an all-Division-I schedule. Might want to try out one of those before you start laughing at other schools' OOC schedules. With the opener in Forks next year set as SD School of Mines...well, enough said.

A lot of Sioux fans me included thought our schedule was "crap"!! With the 3 NAIA teams on it. But its a money saver for Faison. I am shocked by the SD Mines to open up our post-transition play. I would rather they replace that with maybe South Dakota or any FCS team. I have no clue what he was thinking. 2013 is our first all DI schedule with OOC Montana, Valpo, and South Dakota St all at home. 7 home games for UND that year. Maybe the Alerus will be out of the red for once!!

DJKyR0
September 16th, 2011, 04:54 PM
A lot of Sioux fans me included thought our schedule was "crap"!! With the 3 NAIA teams on it. But its a money saver for Faison. I am shocked by the SD Mines to open up our post-transition play. I would rather they replace that with maybe South Dakota or any FCS team. I have no clue what he was thinking. 2013 is our first all DI schedule with OOC Montana, Valpo, and South Dakota St all at home. 7 home games for UND that year. Maybe the Alerus will be out of the red for once!!

A Valpo team that NDSU was berated for scheduling in the first year of transition, yet which UND can apparently schedule two or three years into full eligibility and it's evidence of a stronger schedule. Moreover, another non-scholarship school (Drake) that doesn't do squat, yet Lafayette is the cupcake while their conference actually makes the playoffs. Can't say I see that logic, but then I'm a simple farmer's son who got one of them fancy college computin' machines at the ol' Ag school and can't tell the difference between a hen house and a whorehouse.

To folks not familiar with the situation, the vehemence darell1976 and MplsBison post with is evidence of just how desperate UND is to get this game scheduled. They haul in a whopping 8,200 for their home opener and see that an NDSU game would inject some enthusiasm into a fan base that could probably care less. UND is not an attractive win (personal satisfaction aside) no matter how their fans would like to portray it, and when the bottom line in college athletics is determined by the almighty dollar, getting our finances in order (achieved for us with out top-tier attendance for games) comes before the semantics of a rivalry game that won't have been played for over a decade.

darell1976
September 16th, 2011, 05:02 PM
A Valpo team that NDSU was berated for scheduling in the first year of transition, yet which UND can apparently schedule two or three years into full eligibility and it's evidence of a stronger schedule. Moreover, another non-scholarship school (Drake) that doesn't do squat, yet Lafayette is the cupcake while their conference actually makes the playoffs. Can't say I see that logic, but then I'm a simple farmer's son who got one of them fancy college computin' machines at the ol' Ag school and can't tell the difference between a hen house and a whorehouse.

To folks not familiar with the situation, the vehemence darell1976 and MplsBison post with is evidence of just how desperate UND is to get this game scheduled. They haul in a whopping 8,200 for their home opener and see that an NDSU game would inject some enthusiasm into a fan base that could probably care less. UND is not an attractive win (personal satisfaction aside) no matter how their fans would like to portray it, and when the bottom line in college athletics is determined by the almighty dollar, getting our finances in order (achieved for us with out top-tier attendance for games) comes before the semantics of a rivalry game that won't have been played for over a decade.

You think this all because we can't fill the Alerus during our transition? We either led or was in the top 5 of attendance in DII since the Alerus opened in 2001. We can fill it. This is about bragging rights for the state. If NFL films Football America can do a story about UND-NDSU rivalry in 1995, then thats pretty big. If UND-NDSU can have a trophy dated back to 1937 that was fought over and stolen every year by the other side, then thats pretty big. If UND-NDSU can play game now where the whole country can see it (Fox College Sports) not that statewide tv NDSU has, then thats pretty big. If you believe that SDSU and UNI are still your biggest rivals, then why can I go onto Bisonville not a registered user so I just read the posts and see thread after thread about UND then fine just slam us and keep saying we are better than you but we won't play you. Then thats your problem.

DJKyR0
September 16th, 2011, 05:08 PM
You think this all because we can't fill the Alerus during our transition? We either led or was in the top 5 of attendance in DII since the Alerus opened in 2001. We can fill it. This is about bragging rights for the state. If NFL films Football America can do a story about UND-NDSU rivalry in 1995, then thats pretty big. If UND-NDSU can have a trophy dated back to 1937 that was fought over and stolen every year by the other side, then thats pretty big. If UND-NDSU can play game now where the whole country can see it (Fox College Sports) not that statewide tv NDSU has, then thats pretty big. If you believe that SDSU and UNI are still your biggest rivals, then why can I go onto Bisonville not a registered user so I just read the posts and see thread after thread about UND then fine just slam us and keep saying we are better than you but we won't play you. Then thats your problem.

Never said UNI or SDSU were our biggest rivals, but again with the clamoring over getting ignored. You can fill the Alerus? News to me. Something about 50 students last season?

Don't forget, the economy of DI and DII are not the same. Numbers in the DII days mean squat because you're trying to fund almost double the scholarships, to say nothing about the facilities and other expenses of moving up. To reiterate, UND needs this game. NDSU does not.

frozennorth
September 16th, 2011, 05:22 PM

Ndsu already plays 8 of the same teams every year, why make it 9? With an fbs game, that only leaves room for one non-conference game, so you know if und ever would get out of the cellar, they would schedule a scrub team for the 11th game. Every year should include a marque non-con game, and it shouldn't be the same team every year, ie UND. If playing ever year was such a big deal for UND, they shouldn't have joined a conference that wasn't on the other side of the continent.

DJKyR0
September 16th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Ndsu already plays 8 of the same teams every year, why make it 9? With an fbs game, that only leaves room for one non-conference game, so you know if und ever would get out of the cellar, they would schedule a scrub team for the 11th game. Every year should include a marque non-con game, and it shouldn't be the same team every year, ie UND. If playing ever year was such a big deal for UND, they shouldn't have joined a conference that wasn't on the other side of the continent.

Personally, I'm not against an Iowa-Iowa State situation when it's economically feasible. I enjoyed watching the NDSU-UND rivalry as a kid and would enjoy it just as much today, but I understand that college athletics is a money game and Gene Taylor has done way too much good for this university (I'd daresay he's the single best AD in ND, SD, or MN) for me to think he doesn't have good reason to do what he does beyond the obvious postulations. The NDSU-UND game will happen eventually, and when it does, I will be the first one in line ready to cheer the Bison to a W.

frozennorth
September 16th, 2011, 05:30 PM

I don't think und will be able to point out a team that would even be competitive until mussmans gone, and I honest don't think that will happen until after Y2 of the bsc.

darell1976
September 16th, 2011, 05:49 PM

Thats right they should just be an Independent. Because the Big Sky was their only option.

darell1976
September 16th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Never said UNI or SDSU were our biggest rivals, but again with the clamoring over getting ignored. You can fill the Alerus? News to me. Something about 50 students last season?

Don't forget, the economy of DI and DII are not the same. Numbers in the DII days mean squat because you're trying to fund almost double the scholarships, to say nothing about the facilities and other expenses of moving up. To reiterate, UND needs this game. NDSU does not.

http://siouxsports.com/football/stadium.htm

In 2004, UND led the nation in total attendance for the second straight year, with 75,110 fans passing through the gates to watch Fighting Sioux football, an average of 9,389 per game.

UND's average attendance was also the third-best figure nationally in NCAA Division II for 2001.

UND's fans have been enthusiastic ever since the Alerus Center opened, but one of the most vocal crowds cam in the 2001 NCAA semifinal game against UC Davis. In that game, UC Davis was flagged seven times for illegal procedure among its 12 penalties on the day. After the game, UC Davis players cited the noise level of the Alerus Center crowd as one of the reasons for the penalties.

The UC Davis game was in 2001.

Just wait til Montana comes to Grand Forks, or South Dakota State, or Montana State and Eastern Washington. The Alerus will be filled.

frozennorth
September 16th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Btw my fraternity has box seats for homecoming v. cal poly. I went to the house yesterday to see if any of the undergrads were going. They were generally surprised that anyone would think about going to a UND football game. I called some of the guys my age (25-26), and only one of them had been to a football game since 2004. I asked around the bar I work at, and got basically the same response.

It might take another cycle of students before any enthusiasm for football returns, and I honestly can't imagine UND selling out for anyone but NDSU outside of the homecoming game any time soon.

frozennorth
September 16th, 2011, 06:11 PM

Just wait til Montana comes to Grand Forks, or South Dakota State, or Montana State and Eastern Washington. The Alerus will be filled.
Und is already bringing in major opponents, suu, sdsu, cal poly, uc davis, usd, and those games don't move the needle at all. Do you think anyone will give a damn about eastern washington? UND will get montana or montana state at home 3 times each per decade. Congratulations.

Remember, it was UND that blew off the summit.

BisonFan02
September 16th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Yep next season UND will not be a Wagner we will be in a tougher conference than them so yeah you guys stick with Wagner while we look at the Nickel Trophy in our case and wonder when the next year will be when we beat NDSU.

Keep the Nickel. If it was ever played for again, would you have to cover the Sioux head on one side with something else?

FargoBison
September 16th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Are you frickin kidding me. Because so far your whole conference has a better home OOC schedule than NDSU did. NDSU's OOC opponents had a .390 winning percentage..pretty sad. Compared to UNI, .472, SIU, .522, MSU, .429, and now WIU .433. How else was I to measure it.

I hope you aren't tossing in the records of DII teams and acting like everything is equal.

darell1976
September 16th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Und is already bringing in major opponents, suu, sdsu, cal poly, uc davis, usd, and those games don't move the needle at all. Do you think anyone will give a damn about eastern washington? UND will get montana or montana state at home 3 times each per decade. Congratulations.

Remember, it was UND that blew off the summit.

And the Summit has to do with football how? Remember the MVFC didn't want NDSU until SDSU said we were a packaged deal, and the MVFC didn't want UND ONLY USD!!! So UND had a choice Big Sky or Indy. Also UND will have a OOC chance with Montana and Montana St. UND vs Montana in 2013 is an OOC game, and yes people will care about Eastern Washington. I believe they cared in Vermillion. Just wait until transition is over...they will come!

EmeraldCityBison
September 16th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I believe they cared in Vermillion.

Really? 8,700 in Vermillion against EWU. I'd expect a sellout against the defending national champs. What does USD average?

Squealofthepig
September 16th, 2011, 11:32 PM
...In 2004, UND led the nation in total attendance for the second straight year, with 75,110 fans passing through the gates to watch Fighting Sioux football, an average of 9,389 per game.

OK, why 2004? If you're really trying to sell us on UND's massive attendance, you probably should use something more relevant. Like, say, last year's attendance numbers, from the NCAA (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2010/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf - pdf)

Accumulated attendance: 40,771 [note only five games though]. Average attendance: 8,154. Accum. Percent Capacity: 66.39%

That's a net loss of about 1,000 people per game. Actually, it's 1,235 - that's a team that's eroded about 2% each year since 2004.

Again - as I said earlier - I'd like to see UND/NDSU play regularly, and I congratulated you for your team's efforts to get a more competitive schedule. Build up your attendance and your team's c.v. in FCS (and get a mascot), and NDSU/UND will find a way to renew this very long rivalry.

Squealofthepig
September 16th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Really? 8,700 in Vermillion against EWU. I'd expect a sellout against the defending national champs. What does USD average?

Per the NCAA last year, SD averaged 8,352 last year (vs. 8,154 for UND). And source, just since my posts are split: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2010/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf - note pdf

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 17th, 2011, 08:19 AM

You actually believe this??

You are really something. Having been gone for a week and reading this thread thru, I would have thought NDSU has had the worst OOC schedule of all FCS schools.

Being an alum of NDSU (92), I could care less if we play UND ever again. It was a fun game to go to when I went to school but NDSU does not need the game at all.

You and mplssue like to "bash" our non-renewal of the NDSU/UND game but NDSU does not need it. NDSU fans/alumni want 6 home games....darell. I have personally emailed GT and know many other Teammakers that have also done the same thing. Why go to GF at all? Ya, maybe in a year that we could schedule 12 games, a road game to GF could be possible. I personally do not want to sacrifice a home game just to play UND at their place....NO WAY!

...and another point there darell....FCS teams do not want to come to Fargo for home/home games. GT has said this on numerous talk radio programs throughout the years. We finally have Montana/Montana State in a home/home deal but they come here first. So GT has to bring in teams that we should and do beat.....and pay them 100-150K.

Big Sky affiliation will not be the "savoir" as you and other UND fans think. Travel costs will be outrageous. Every team (vb,soccer, x-country, baseball, track, bb) will have to FLY to every conference game/meet. No bus rides for any game. Spin it anway you want but that is going to be a huge financial drain. Chartering flights for all those other sports for every conference game.....that is a lot of $$$.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 17th, 2011, 08:32 AM

LOL....really?

But playing UND will be a "true" measure for the Bison and how they stack up against the upper echelon FCS teams.....LOL

Georgia Southern would have been a great game but they wanted to play a NON-COUNTER game against a D2.

You sure like to do comparisons....well let's see your last year of transition is this year and ours was 07. In 07 we piss-pounded Cenral Michigan (MAC champ and bowl winner), beat Minnesota and finished 10-1. UND got pounded by a very poor FBS Idaho team and will get totally destroyed by Fresno State tonight. Cal Poly-Davis-USD-SUU will probably be losses and Sioux Falls will probably give the Sioux all they can handle....so maybe 3-4 wins this year? Next year is really going to be interesting for the Sioux or whatever you will be called. Mussman does not have the players to consistently play with Montana/Montana State, Sac State, Weber....maybe UNC....who knows.

X-Factor
September 17th, 2011, 09:09 AM

The funny thing about this comment is that playing UND would do nothing to show us how our team measures up to the Top 25 because UND isn't even close to being a Top 25 team, nor have they ever been. xeyebrowx

frozennorth
September 17th, 2011, 01:15 PM
And the Summit has to do with football how? Remember the MVFC didn't want NDSU until SDSU said we were a packaged deal, and the MVFC didn't want UND ONLY USD!!! So UND had a choice Big Sky or Indy. Also UND will have a OOC chance with Montana and Montana St. UND vs Montana in 2013 is an OOC game, and yes people will care about Eastern Washington. I believe they cared in Vermillion. Just wait until transition is over...they will come!you weren't going to get into the mvfc without getting into the mvc or summit, and I think it was pretty clear that if you got into one you would get into the mvfc.

I would be surprised if more than 10% of the student body knows who eastern washington is.

frozennorth
September 17th, 2011, 01:18 PM
The funny thing about this comment is that playing UND would do nothing to show us how our team measures up to the Top 25 because UND isn't even close to being a Top 25 team, nor have they ever been. xeyebrowx

In all honesty, UND would probably be the worst team, or damn near, in any of the big4 conferences. I would hesitate to put them in the top half of the fcs.

darell1976
September 17th, 2011, 02:02 PM
LOL....really?

But playing UND will be a "true" measure for the Bison and how they stack up against the upper echelon FCS teams.....LOL

Georgia Southern would have been a great game but they wanted to play a NON-COUNTER game against a D2.

You sure like to do comparisons....well let's see your last year of transition is this year and ours was 07. In 07 we piss-pounded Cenral Michigan (MAC champ and bowl winner), beat Minnesota and finished 10-1. UND got pounded by a very poor FBS Idaho team and will get totally destroyed by Fresno State tonight. Cal Poly-Davis-USD-SUU will probably be losses and Sioux Falls will probably give the Sioux all they can handle....so maybe 3-4 wins this year? Next year is really going to be interesting for the Sioux or whatever you will be called. Mussman does not have the players to consistently play with Montana/Montana State, Sac State, Weber....maybe UNC....who knows.

Boy you guys love your transition..lets see what happened after transition when everything mattered. 2008 6-5, 2009 3-8, 2010 9-5. So not including this season your post-transition record is 18-18. WOW!!!!! So in 2012, 2013, and 2014...lets compare records. BTW SDSU went 7-5, 8-4, and 5-6 for a total of 20-15. And you had a better transition than them. I think I will take the SDSU approach just lay low in transition and when there is playoffs on the line...WIN!!

darell1976
September 17th, 2011, 02:04 PM
OK, why 2004? If you're really trying to sell us on UND's massive attendance, you probably should use something more relevant. Like, say, last year's attendance numbers, from the NCAA (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2010/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf - pdf)

That's a net loss of about 1,000 people per game. Actually, it's 1,235 - that's a team that's eroded about 2% each year since 2004.

Again - as I said earlier - I'd like to see UND/NDSU play regularly, and I congratulated you for your team's efforts to get a more competitive schedule. Build up your attendance and your team's c.v. in FCS (and get a mascot), and NDSU/UND will find a way to renew this very long rivalry.

I brought this up because the Bison fans never think the Alerus could ever be filled in fact it was before transition. Lets just see what happens next season and if the Alerus attendance is the same or worse than now I will gladly admit I was wrong.

semobison
September 17th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Boy you guys love your transition..lets see what happened after transition when everything mattered. 2008 6-5, 2009 3-8, 2010 9-5. So not including this season your post-transition record is 18-18. WOW!!!!! So in 2012, 2013, and 2014...lets compare records. BTW SDSU went 7-5, 8-4, and 5-6 for a total of 20-15. And you had a better transition than them. I think I will take the SDSU approach just lay low in transition and when there is playoffs on the line...WIN!!

I usually stay out of the UND forms but comon Darrel! We WON 2 playoff games last year and took the eventual national champs into overtime! If your going to state the facts, state all of them!...And, if I were a UND fan I would be worried and dissapointed in recent struggles with the football team!

darell1976
September 17th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I usually stay out of the UND forms but comon Darrel! We WON 2 playoff games last year and took the eventual national champs into overtime! If your going to state the facts, state all of them!...And, if I were a UND fan I would be worried and dissapointed in recent struggles with the football team!

Here is a fact: You don't judge a team during transition. You judge after transition. You did win 2 playoff games last year but look at the 2 previous years you didn't do anything. And after a kick @ss transition where you were ranked #1 even. Everyone I am sure expected a lot more than 6-5 and 3-8. It wasn't until year 3 at 7-4 to reach the playoffs and NDSU barely got in too. So UND is a little behind but there is still this season and the future to get better, and with history on its side UND does get better. We had losing records in the mid 80's and took over the conference in 1993. It takes time.

semobison
September 17th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Here is a fact: You don't judge a team during transition. You judge after transition. You did win 2 playoff games last year but look at the 2 previous years you didn't do anything. And after a kick @ss transition where you were ranked #1 even. Everyone I am sure expected a lot more than 6-5 and 3-8. It wasn't until year 3 at 7-4 to reach the playoffs and NDSU barely got in too. So UND is a little behind but there is still this season and the future to get better, and with history on its side UND does get better. We had losing records in the mid 80's and took over the conference in 1993. It takes time.

Not judging a team during transition is not a fact, its your opinion! Tell it to the players who play on those teams. I was dissapointed, that we stumbled those first two seasons in the MVFC, but I am proud of the 2006-2007 teams, and the players for what they accomplished on the field! Those were 2 good seasons to be a Bison fan! Good luck on the rest of your season!

NDB
September 17th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Here is a fact: You don't judge a team during transition.

Darell. I know this is the Internet, but jeesh.

darell1976
September 17th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Darell. I know this is the Internet, but jeesh.

SDSU during transition 6-5, 6-5, 7-4 (DIII loss), 7-4. Total 26-18. NDSU during transition 8-3, 7-4, 10-1, 10-1. Total 35-9. USD during transition 6-5, 5-5, 4-7, and 1-1 (coming into today). Total 16-18. UND during transition 6-4, 6-5, 3-8, 1-1 (coming into today). Total 16-19. So overall it goes NDSU, SDSU, USD, UND. Look at the toals and you would think NDSU would dominate after transition but: 6-5, and 3-8 in the first 2 years. SDSU 7-5 and 8-4 (plus playoffs). So if you only look at records between NDSU and SDSU why did SDSU go to the playoffs while NDSU won 3 games in 2009? Again does records in transition really measure your team? USD 16 wins in transition and they beat Minnesota and National Champions Eastern Washington. 16 wins vs 26 wins for NDSU at this time in 2007. Who has the better transition?

Squealofthepig
September 17th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Who has the better transition?

There is no medal, plaque, accolade, or even lolcat awarded for "best transition".

darell1976
September 17th, 2011, 06:18 PM
There is no medal, plaque, accolade, or even lolcat awarded for "best transition".

But just because you kick @ss in transition doesn't mean you will automatically kick @ss in post-transition. And vice versa if you struggle a little in transition you have that much time before you are playoff eligible to perfect your team before your post-transition starts. Just because we lost to Idaho and won 3 games last year why so many people are ready to stick a fork in us this year and years to come I don't get. Remember NDSU 10-1 in '07, 6-5 in '08, and 3-8 in '09. Time to stick a fork in them...wrong in 2010 they went to the playoffs..why?? History. Both UND and NDSU have a history of a bad season once or twice a decade but rebound to become powerhouses. It takes time.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 17th, 2011, 06:36 PM

Fine, let's see how the team with no name does after their transition. Cherry pick anyway you want.....by the way, how will the sioux fair tonight?

darell1976
September 17th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Fine, let's see how the team with no name does after their transition. Cherry pick anyway you want.....by the way, how will the sioux fair tonight?

If they lose by 20 or less that will be respectable. I just hope its not a 55-0 blowout. Fresno is undefeated against FCS teams, with an average winning margin of 28 points. Guess what they are favored by 28 1/2.

NDB
September 17th, 2011, 06:41 PM
This.

There is nothing that shows that UND is building to anything.

Joining the Big Sky is great, but doesn't guarantee anything - greater interest, bigger crowds, higher revenue.

There are more bison fans who follow UND football than sioux fans.

Twentysix
September 17th, 2011, 06:42 PM
130 -3 sioux.

darell1976
September 17th, 2011, 06:46 PM
This.

There is nothing that shows that UND is building to anything.

Joining the Big Sky is great, but doesn't guarantee anything - greater interest, bigger crowds, higher revenue.

There are more bison fans who follow UND football than sioux fans.

I just go on Bisonville and see all the UND threads from fans who say we are over UND we don't need to play them...but yet can talk about them every 5 minutes about everything and anything.xlolx I do appreciate your interest in Fighting Sioux Sports!!xthumbsupx

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 17th, 2011, 06:46 PM
But just because you kick @ss in transition doesn't mean you will automatically kick @ss in post-transition. And vice versa if you struggle a little in transition you have that much time before you are playoff eligible to perfect your team before your post-transition starts. Just because we lost to Idaho and won 3 games last year why so many people are ready to stick a fork in us this year and years to come I don't get. Remember NDSU 10-1 in '07, 6-5 in '08, and 3-8 in '09. Time to stick a fork in them...wrong in 2010 they went to the playoffs..why?? History. Both UND and NDSU have a history of a bad season once or twice a decade but rebound to become powerhouses. It takes time.

Our 08 team was a team that could have been a championship team right after our transition but there are things like injuries that happen, which cannot be forseen. Every team has them and the Bison did not overcome them. You like to take your "pot-shots" at NDSU...fine but get your facts straight then. The Bison had a very good transition then had 2 subpar years and even last year was subpar IMO for our regular season. This year I am expecting a very good season with a deep run in the playoffs.

If you think UND is going to make a playoff run next year then fine....you're a fan. But to win the conference you will have to beat EW-Montana-Montana State -Sac State-Weber-NAU...the better teams. You could probably beat the others right now.

BisonFan02
September 17th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I just go on Bisonville and see all the UND threads from fans who say we are over UND we don't need to play them...but yet can talk about them every 5 minutes about everything and anything.xlolx I do appreciate your interest in Fighting Sioux Sports!!xthumbsupx

It's not Fighting Sioux anymore. xcoffeex

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 17th, 2011, 06:49 PM
If they lose by 20 or less that will be respectable. I just hope its not a 55-0 blowout. Fresno is undefeated against FCS teams, with an average winning margin of 28 points. Guess what they are favored by 28 1/2.

20 point loss would be an accomplishment. Fresno is a blue-collar team. I haven't seen them play this year but having in past years they like to grind it out with a passing game to go along with it.

darell1976
September 17th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Our 08 team was a team that could have been a championship team right after our transition but there are things like injuries that happen, which cannot be forseen. Every team has them and the Bison did not overcome them. You like to take your "pot-shots" at NDSU...fine but get your facts straight then. The Bison had a very good transition then had 2 subpar years and even last year was subpar IMO for our regular season. This year I am expecting a very good season with a deep run in the playoffs.

If you think UND is going to make a playoff run next year then fine....you're a fan. But to win the conference you will have to beat EW-Montana-Montana State -Sac State-Weber-NAU...the better teams. You could probably beat the others right now.

What happened to last years UND team....injuries!!!! Our starting QB went down, or RB and Offensive Linemen had injuries. Our depth was not good to overcome our injuries. We stood strong to N. Illinois and almost beating them, we had a lead against Cal Poly, and Montana. We were tough but in the end the scoreboard showed the L for Sioux and that is what counts. You do what you can to win and if its not enough its not enough. Good luck against Minny and the MVFC foes.

darell1976
September 17th, 2011, 06:53 PM
It's not Fighting Sioux anymore. xcoffeex

Until December 31, 2011 it is.xnodx

darell1976
September 17th, 2011, 06:54 PM
20 point loss would be an accomplishment. Fresno is a blue-collar team. I haven't seen them play this year but having in past years they like to grind it out with a passing game to go along with it.

Mussman said on WDAY TV the defense is going to stop their run and make them win the game in the air. Why do I see 55-0 in the future. UND gave up quick passes to Drake this is Fresno. Could be ugly.

Squealofthepig
September 17th, 2011, 06:56 PM
We'll all still be pulling for you guys, but yeah, it has some potential to be ugly.

darell1976
September 17th, 2011, 06:57 PM
We'll all still be pulling for you guys, but yeah, it has some potential to be ugly.

I think I predicted 42-14, but that could be the halftime score. I don't like the looks of this. But then again we trailed by only 13 going into the 4th qtr at Texas Tech in '08.

frozennorth
September 17th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Boy you guys love your transition..lets see what happened after transition when everything mattered. 2008 6-5, 2009 3-8, 2010 9-5. So not including this season your post-transition record is 18-18. WOW!!!!! So in 2012, 2013, and 2014...lets compare records. BTW SDSU went 7-5, 8-4, and 5-6 for a total of 20-15. And you had a better transition than them. I think I will take the SDSU approach just lay low in transition and when there is playoffs on the line...WIN!!sdsu didn't lay low, they spent a good portion of the transition ranked as well.

MplsBison
September 17th, 2011, 07:09 PM

Same thing happened to NDSU. When Cal Poly would come to the Dome, it wouldn't even be close to full - even though Poly was one of the best teams in FCS.

On the other hand, when SDSU came to the Dome in 2006 for the de facto Great West championship game - a game between two teams that were ineligible for the FCS playoffs in conference that didn't even have an auto-bid anyway, basically irrelevant as you can get to FCS - the record attendance was set.

The fans have to be excited about the game for attendance to be good. That's how it is at most FCS schools. I dare say NDSU is just about getting to the point where it no longer matters, but I maybe shouldn't say that. When the team is hot, yeah then it doesn't matter as much. When they aren't hot, it still matters.

Squealofthepig
September 17th, 2011, 07:11 PM
sdsu didn't lay low, they spent a good portion of the transition ranked as well.

And by all rights, they should have beaten the Griz in the playoffs in, what was it, '09? I figure that game alone was why the Griz finally had to have an off season and miss the playoffs last year, just from a karma perspective.

MplsBison
September 17th, 2011, 07:14 PM

I didn't realize that you advocate for buying out of the return trip of the home/home signed with Montana. Guess someone should let U of MT know that NDSU won't be playing in Missoula in 2015 - because NDSU has to have 6 home games a year plus a FBS game. They'll want to go ahead and replace that game.

X-Factor
September 17th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Same thing happened to NDSU. When Cal Poly would come to the Dome, it wouldn't even be close to full - even though Poly was one of the best teams in FCS.

On the other hand, when SDSU came to the Dome in 2006 for the de facto Great West championship game - a game between two teams that were ineligible for the FCS playoffs in conference that didn't even have an auto-bid anyway, basically irrelevant as you can get to FCS - the record attendance was set.

The fans have to be excited about the game for attendance to be good. That's how it is at most FCS schools. I dare say NDSU is just about getting to the point where it no longer matters, but I maybe shouldn't say that. When the team is hot, yeah then it doesn't matter as much. When they aren't hot, it still matters.

Cal Poly has never won an FCS title, nor has been ranked #1 so that is a really stupid analogy. The year that Cal Poly was ranked in the top 10 they came to Fargo during deer opener and got lit up 51-14, the year after doing the same to us at their place.