FanofFCS
September 14th, 2011, 01:25 PM
http://tinyurl.com/2uh4hz8

Bogus Megapardus
September 14th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Where's Sader87?

UAalum72
September 14th, 2011, 03:56 PM
And later in the column this guy reverses Ace's question and wants to know why ODU doesn't get MORE attention in the polls.

Fordham
September 14th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Remember being on he sidelines of Army - HC in '86 and my father and i both commented on hearing his name so much. Sure enough, we look in the program and see him listed as a starter on both sides. A few weeks later he's in the top 5 Heisman list and in SI. Very cool memories.

Never realized he was in the Heisman mix as a junior. Thought it was more of a lightning in a bottle as a senior thing.

Sader87
September 14th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Answer: Gordie Lockbaum. Question: "Who is the type of player we don't get anymore since Holy Cross gave up football scholarships Alex.

I'll close out the category Alex, "Worst decisions by College Presidents for $2000 please."

Pard4Life
September 14th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Answer: Gordie Lockbaum. Question: "Who is the type of player we don't get anymore since Holy Cross gave up football scholarships Alex.

I'll close out the category Alex, "Worst decisions by College Presidents for $2000 please."

Nobody gets players like Gordie Lockbaum anymore! He's like a once-per-50 year player.

Sader87
September 14th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Nobody gets players like Gordie Lockbaum anymore! He's like a once-per-50 year player.

Gordie was a great player (and a great classmate)...he was not a "once in a half century talent." He was a very, very good player who was able to implement his talents on both sides of the football through both his athleticism and the HC coaches judicious use of his said talent.

My point is that if he were being recruited today, he more than likely would be on both sides of the football at a school like Villanova, Richmond or William&Mary not Holy Cross.

Bogus Megapardus
September 14th, 2011, 08:49 PM
My point is that if he were being recruited today, he more than likely would be on both sides of the football at a school like Villanova, Richmond or William&Mary not Holy Cross.

Or maybe at Amherst, where he sent his son, Gordie, Jr., to play.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 14th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Gordie was a great player (and a great classmate)...he was not a "once in a half century talent." He was a very, very good player who was able to implement his talents on both sides of the football through both his athleticism and the HC coaches judicious use of his said talent.

Do you think he would play on both sides of the ball today? Regardless of his talents, the football landscape has changed a lot in 25 years. While as the article states there are occasional cases of players playing offense and defense, I have a feeling that at most schools the coaching staff would choose to develop the talents of a player in whichever of those positions they needed most or that they felt the player had the most aptitude in. If you have a star running back who can also play safety, but you already have good enough safeties, you wouldn't want to risk your star RB getting injured while playing on the defense, or vice versa.

Sader87
September 14th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Do you think he would play on both sides of the ball today? Regardless of his talents, the football landscape has changed a lot in 25 years. While as the article states there are occasional cases of players playing offense and defense, I have a feeling that at most schools the coaching staff would choose to develop the talents of a player in whichever of those positions they needed most or that they felt the player had the most aptitude in. If you have a star running back who can also play safety, but you already have good enough safeties, you wouldn't want to risk your star RB getting injured while playing on the defense, or vice versa.

I think it could be done today. Truth be told, Gordie played a lot more on offense than defense his Senior year...he came in on D mostly in special situations that year.

I understand what you're getting it vis a vis coaches afraid to "overuse" their players today but I think that's more of a case of too much specialization in sports in general overall.