PDA

View Full Version : EWU @ Montana

Grizzaholic
September 12th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Might as well get it started if there is no other thread.

Must win game.

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 12th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I'm looking forward to this one, it should be fun. It will be a test for our secondary if EWU plans to pass 60+ times this week.

No_Skill
September 12th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I take Montana at home in this one. Until EWU can prove they can run the ball like last year, they won't be in the top 10 discussion any longer.

A loss here and it's a long road to even get a shot at defending the Championship.

THE HERD
September 12th, 2011, 03:48 PM
So who ended up starting at the QB position for the Griz and how is he looking?

Mountaineer
September 12th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Griz win knocking the Eagles to an 0-3 season start.

Defending champs in serious trouble with the possibility of being 0-4 after Montana State rolls into Cheney. xeekx

Hellgate60
September 12th, 2011, 04:02 PM
So who ended up starting at the QB position for the Griz and how is he looking?

Jordan Johnson is the starting quarterback for the Griz. He looked very impressive in the second half of the Cal Poly game. Here are his stats:

Tennessee
PASSING Cmp-Att-Int Yds TD Long Sack
Johnson, J. 19-36-1 226 1 80 0
RUSHING No. Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg
Johnson, J. 2 8 4 4 0 8 2.0

Cal Poly:
Jordan Johnson 25-39-0 240 2 58 0
RUSHING No. Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg.
Jordan Johnson 10 56 2 54 0 13 5.4

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 12th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Jordan Johnson is the starting quarterback for the Griz. He looked very impressive in the second half of the Cal Poly game. Here are his stats:

Tennessee
Johnson, J. 19-36-1 226 1 80 0
RUSHING No. Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg
Johnson, J. 2 8 4 4 0 8 2.0

Cal Poly:
Jordan Johnson 25-39-0 240 2 58 0
RUSHING No. Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg.
Jordan Johnson 10 56 2 54 0 13 5.4

He has looked pretty comfortable in the pocket so far. He hasn't had issues with happy feet, and has been making some pretty solid decisions.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 12th, 2011, 04:29 PM
He has looked pretty comfortable in the pocket so far. He hasn't had issues with happy feet, and has been making some pretty solid decisions.

He has looked good for a sophomore. Now we just need to find a way to get Kemp involved somehow. He is too athletic to not be on the field. xtwocentsx

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 12th, 2011, 04:46 PM
He has looked good for a sophomore. Now we just need to find a way to get Kemp involved somehow. He is too athletic to not be on the field. xtwocentsx

I agree, he is one of the most athletic guys on the field, it would be great if he could be utilized somehow.

Hellgate60
September 12th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Its also very nice to see the number zero to be listed under the sacks category for Jordan Johnson. I think that has to with the mobility of Johnson and the improvement of the o-line from last year.

Grizzaholic
September 12th, 2011, 05:15 PM
With Mario Brown, RB, being suspended for this weeks game at Montana, who will be the RB(s)?

kalm
September 12th, 2011, 06:35 PM
With Mario Brown, RB, being suspended for this weeks game at Montana, who will be the RB(s)?

Hopefully true freshman Jordan Talley. He has looked the best so far, but I think it was going to be running back by committee from the start and we have several with different strengths. The obvious question is whether the line can open any holes for them. I'm guessing not and we'll have to rely on the short passing game and draws again. Until we get starting RT Will Post back, I don't expect us to have much success with any semblance of a power running game. Then again, we've always been more of a finesse team anyway.

dystopiamembrane
September 12th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I've had the honor of watching Talley on the field a number of times during his high school days.
You've got a good one there.

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I gave a certain grizz poster alot of grief for his ridiculous assertions about the Montana-Tennessee game, But Montana does have a very nice team this year. I look for them to take this game.

dystopiamembrane
September 12th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Griz secondary may be a bit soft for Mr. Bo Levi Mitchell, but I believe that Montana dominates the line. Can't wait for this contest, folks.

Grizzmark
September 12th, 2011, 08:04 PM
JJ looking confidant; nice to see some heads up play with with some broken plays. Why wasn't Kemp used more Saturday? He adds such a threat to the spread. This coming Saturday seems like an eternity away.....can't wait for the game! Prediction: Griz 37 Eags 17.

Griz0383
September 12th, 2011, 08:36 PM
IMO the Griz are progressing nicely! The offense is way ahead of schedule with much of the credit going to the O-line. The play of the O-line has helped Jordan J mature very quickly. JJ is playing smart aggressive football, making timely decisions with limited mistakes. In the 2 games, he has proven that he is in charge of that offense. He’s making the critical plays and he does not get sacked. He keeps drives alive, throws the ball with pin point accuracy and spreads the ball around to many receivers. I can’t think of a play where he was close to getting intercepted. What I find most encouraging is that this offense is just getting warmed up! I see lots of points per game in the future!
The Defense, WOW! I like what I am seeing. I admit that the secondary was exposed in Tennessee but those UT receivers will play on Sunday so I accepted that beat down and considered it a great learning experience. The young secondary has matured and Bo Levi Mitchell will age them a bit more. I may be a bit optimistic with my assessment of the secondary but the D-line and line backers are VERY GOOD and will give EWU’s O-line and QB a lot of pressure, I predict TO’s will be a major factor for EWU this weekend and 0 and 3 is a bitter pill. Griz 42 EWU 27 GOOO GRIZZZZZ!

Grizzaholic
September 12th, 2011, 09:20 PM
IMO the Griz are progressing nicely! The offense is way ahead of schedule with much of the credit going to the O-line. The play of the O-line has helped Jordan J mature very quickly. JJ is playing smart aggressive football, making timely decisions with limited mistakes. In the 2 games, he has proven that he is in charge of that offense. He’s making the critical plays and he does not get sacked. He keeps drives alive, throws the ball with pin point accuracy and spreads the ball around to many receivers. I can’t think of a play where he was close to getting intercepted. What I find most encouraging is that this offense is just getting warmed up! I see lots of points per game in the future!
The Defense, WOW! I like what I am seeing. I admit that the secondary was exposed in Tennessee but those UT receivers will play on Sunday so I accepted that beat down and considered it a great learning experience. The young secondary has matured and Bo Levi Mitchell will age them a bit more. I may be a bit optimistic with my assessment of the secondary but the D-line and line backers are VERY GOOD and will give EWU’s O-line and QB a lot of pressure, I predict TO’s will be a major factor for EWU this weekend and 0 and 3 is a bitter pill. Griz 42 EWU 27 GOOO GRIZZZZZ!

I agree with most of this.

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Why the high scoring Griz predictions?

I like the Griz by 7-10 in this one.

UM 24 EWU 17

Grizzaholic
September 12th, 2011, 10:57 PM

UM 24 EWU 17

I think it will be close until the last 5-8 minutes of the game and a TO quick score by the Griz will seal it up. But anyone saying 20 points or something crazy is just that, crazy.

SIDE NOTE: You coming?

ursus arctos horribilis
September 13th, 2011, 11:08 AM
This game is gonna be a struggle. I can see a 7 or 3 pt. win going either way. Eastern is always up for this game and this time they are a little extra angry because they are quickly realizing that having that target on your back can be heavy.

But then again, they still have that target on their backs.

Feels pretty similar to all the other Griz/EWU games for the past 5 or so years I guess. These two teams have so many similar aspects across the board it should be a real good game...even for the casual observer.

PantherRob82
September 13th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I think it will be close until the last 5-8 minutes of the game and a TO quick score by the Griz will seal it up. But anyone saying 20 points or something crazy is just that, crazy.

SIDE NOTE: You coming?

Side Note: Oct 29th. :)

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 13th, 2011, 12:16 PM

UM 24 EWU 17

Since 2002 here are the scores and the winner:
2010 36-27 Eastern
2009 41-34 Montana
2008 19-3 Montana
2007 24-23 Montana
2006 33-17 Montana
2005 34-20 Eastern
2004 31-28 Montana
2003 41-10 Montana
2002 30-21 Eastern
Montana 257 pts = 28.6pts/game
Eastern 215 pts = 23.9pts/game

I'll have to go back and ammend my scores I predicted :)

Twentysix
September 13th, 2011, 02:27 PM
130 to -3 Griz

Grizzaholic
September 13th, 2011, 02:28 PM
130 to -3 Griz

The Griz are playing EWU not SFA.

Red & Black
September 13th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I think this is a must-win for the Eags with an 0-2 mark and MSU rolling into town the following weekend. For the Griz, not so much. They can still afford a loss at this point, IMO. I do think that EWU will be able to move the ball in this game. Mitchell suffered a sprained ankle in practice prior to the USD game, but played anyway. I am hoping it's not going to effect his mobility too much, because there was a marked difference between the UW and USD games in that regard. EWU pass-blocking with be critical. Some people seem to think EWU will throw away from Johnson the entire game. I do not, simply due to the fact that Johnson will most likely be defending Kaufman the majority of the game, and we won't give up that weapon. We will, of course, need more production on the ground than the previous 2 weeks. I think the biggest factor for EWU will be how the Seniors on that team respond in practice this week and on Saturday after dropping two straight. Will they respond? I hope so. Whoever turns the ball over less wins.

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 13th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Since 2002 here are the scores and the winner:
2010 36-27 Eastern
2009 41-34 Montana
2008 19-3 Montana
2007 24-23 Montana
2006 33-17 Montana
2005 34-20 Eastern
2004 31-28 Montana
2003 41-10 Montana
2002 30-21 Eastern
Montana 257 pts = 28.6pts/game
Eastern 215 pts = 23.9pts/game

I'll have to go back and ammend my scores I predicted :)

I was looking at those scores, and a big smile came across my face when I got to 2007. That diving catch Bagley had on fourth down late in the game was so epic. xrotatehx

OB55
September 13th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Get a feeling EW will start out very strong, and will take a slight lead into the locker room at half time.

Taking the Griz to come out in the second half, and win it in the fourth quarter.

jacksfan29
September 13th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Montana by 14. Until EWU figures out how to run the ball teams are going to be able to shut them down. I think the defending champs miss Jones more then anyone thought possible.

Poly's Brutality
September 14th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Tough game to pick, but with Mario Brown out, it may mean Montana's run defense will do better than they did last week, and the secondary was credible versus Poly. Even Tremaine can interfere and make it look legal (sorry, calm down, just joking). Playing in Montana (in September anyway) is a class act enjoyable all the way around (except for the streaker but was interesting anyway as far as what security was going to do - but they had several committee meetings apparently on how to handle it before anybody showed up; though, to their credit, radio announcers had school personnel on talking about it and er um 'delayed enforcement' immediately). Fans great. Stadium great. Tailgating atmosphere great. Everything cool about college football. Johnson very very good, can turn bad play or no receivers into decent gain. Plays with heart, confident. Good adjustments by coaches at the half saved them I believe, along with the good execution. Not sure how good their running game is, but Nguyen showed something at the end there, so maybe it was tough Poly defense of the run that stalled 'em out earlier - will see, this EW game, though they may want to continue the passing attack based on the success. Will be really interesting to see the game plan and how the contest unfolds.

THE HERD
September 14th, 2011, 08:14 AM
As long as EWU can run the ball just enough to make the Griz have to respect it, than this will be a close game, but if the Eagles pull out another 19yds on 11att. day they will get crushed. Will be interesting to see if EWU's O-line rises to the occasion or rolls over again.

HenZoneNation
September 14th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I think this is a must-win for the Eags with an 0-2 mark and MSU rolling into town the following weekend. For the Griz, not so much. They can still afford a loss at this point, IMO. I do think that EWU will be able to move the ball in this game. Mitchell suffered a sprained ankle in practice prior to the USD game, but played anyway. I am hoping it's not going to effect his mobility too much, because there was a marked difference between the UW and USD games in that regard. EWU pass-blocking with be critical. Some people seem to think EWU will throw away from Johnson the entire game. I do not, simply due to the fact that Johnson will most likely be defending Kaufman the majority of the game, and we won't give up that weapon. We will, of course, need more production on the ground than the previous 2 weeks. I think the biggest factor for EWU will be how the Seniors on that team respond in practice this week and on Saturday after dropping two straight. Will they respond? I hope so. Whoever turns the ball over less wins.

This is the match up I can't wait to watch. This will be a huge task for Johnson and will help cement his status as an NFL caliber DB if he can contain Kaufman. We had three of our four DB's from last year's team be invited to NFL camps and he just lit it up in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

Great, great game...Is there a way to watch it online?

Ronbo
September 14th, 2011, 10:58 AM
This is the match up I can't wait to watch. This will be a huge task for Johnson and will help cement his status as an NFL caliber DB if he can contain Kaufman. We had three of our four DB's from last year's team be invited to NFL camps and he just lit it up in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

Great, great game...Is there a way to watch it online?

Go to http://b2tv.com/upcoming_events.asp?q=v&value=bigsky

Register. Better do it well in advance because some guys have had trouble and had to wait a couple days to get verified and able to log in. This gives you free access to all Big Sky home games throughout the season.

HenZoneNation
September 14th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks dude...

CopperCat
September 14th, 2011, 02:19 PM
This game is HUGE for both teams, and for the conference. EWU has a chance to get back on the horse after almost beating UW, followed by the hangover loss at USD. Beating UM in Missoula would provide that thrust that EWU needs to get back on track, but having said that the absence of a run game thus far is concerning. If TJ was still around we would all be singing a different tune. EWU's passing attack is ferocious, but it doesn't allow them to control the clock much because they can score so quickly. With UM's secondary and the EWU passing game, I would predict a shootout starting early on and progressing well into the later stages of the game. This one will be good.

BisonFan02
September 14th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Probably not the best first post to make on my account, but whatever works. If there is such a thing as a "must win" game this early in the season (understand that we really haven't gotten to any conference games), it's this game for EWU. They need to rebound from the USD loss and avoid starting 0-3. The key will be their running game (or lack there of lately). The game being in Missoula doesn't help much either.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 14th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Probably not the best first post to make on my account, but whatever works. If there is such a thing as a "must win" game this early in the season (understand that we really haven't gotten to any conference games), it's this game for EWU. They need to rebound from the USD loss and avoid starting 0-3. The key will be their running game (or lack there of lately). The game being in Missoula doesn't help much either.

It's a pretty darn good post if you ask me Bison. Welcome to the board btw.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 14th, 2011, 03:20 PM
This game is HUGE for both teams, and for the conference. EWU has a chance to get back on the horse after almost beating UW, followed by the hangover loss at USD. Beating UM in Missoula would provide that thrust that EWU needs to get back on track, but having said that the absence of a run game thus far is concerning. If TJ was still around we would all be singing a different tune. EWU's passing attack is ferocious, but it doesn't allow them to control the clock much because they can score so quickly. With UM's secondary and the EWU passing game, I would predict a shootout starting early on and progressing well into the later stages of the game. This one will be good.

Can't find fault here 06' but you know how whenever it looks like something oughta happen in the BSC like a major shootout and then it turns out to be some 10-7 game filled with mistakes?xlolx

Gotta go with ya on it though cuz it sure looks to be a high 30's or mid to high 40's type of game.

SeattleGriz
September 14th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Its also very nice to see the number zero to be listed under the sacks category for Jordan Johnson. I think that has to with the mobility of Johnson and the improvement of the o-line from last year.

I like the fact he looks as if he has played in this style of offense before, which he has.

I really liked in the highlight video where he acted like he was going to throw to the flat, which gets two Cal Poly defenders leaning that way, and then he took off and gained 8 up the middle. He doesn't sell that "pump" he doesn't get the 8.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 14th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I like the fact he looks as if he has played in this style of offense before, which he has.

I really liked in the highlight video where he acted like he was going to throw to the flat, which gets two Cal Poly defenders leaning that way, and then he took off and gained 8 up the middle. He doesn't sell that "pump" he doesn't get the 8.

Hey SEAGRIZ!! Good to see ya man! Totally agree with the comment so carry on with yer bad self.

Grizalltheway
September 14th, 2011, 06:19 PM

Yup. Very intelligent and poised QB. For the love of jebus, just let him stay healthy.

bleedblue
September 14th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Does either team stream their games on the home web site?

ursus arctos horribilis
September 14th, 2011, 06:46 PM

You can watch all Big Sky games on Big Sky TV for free. Go there and put in your name and email and set up an account. They almost never send anything except the very rare (once every three months or so) update.

Just google BSC or Big Sky TV and have it ready to roll for Saturday.

SeattleGriz
September 14th, 2011, 09:29 PM

If you register at BigSkyTV, you need to do it when they have live games going. They have volleyball matches starting at 7 PST Thursday and Friday, or you can do it gameday, as long as a game is playing on the BigSky "channel".

Hopefully they will have audio for this weekends game.

alvinkayak6
September 15th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I am still getting over EWU's loss to the Coyotes of the GWC. Am I missing something? I don't get it.

Poly's Brutality
September 15th, 2011, 03:21 AM
I am still getting over EWU's loss to the Coyotes of the GWC. Am I missing something? I don't get it.

Yes, you are missing something, like Southern Utah of the GWC over Sac State - that kind of thing, man.