PDA

View Full Version : Apparently USD is Division 3

crusader11
September 11th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Ouch!

I was watching the 49ers-Seahawks game, and the color commentator (John Lynch) was remarking on Jim Harbaugh's coaching experience. When the PBP guy asked him: "Why San Diego?" Lynch responded with: "Harbaugh loves a challenge. I'm from San Diego and that is a very small school that plays Division 3...the lowest of the levels."

No respect!

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Ha... ouch! What happened to all of those USD fans on here ready to jump?

bjtheflamesfan
September 11th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Although I will agree that Lynch erred, there are actually two San Diego Universities...one (USD) plays in Division I. The other, UCSD, is Division II.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 11th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Although I will agree that Lynch erred, there are actually two San Diego Universities...one (USD) plays in Division I. The other, UCSD, is Division II.

Harbaugh only coached at one of those though.

bjtheflamesfan
September 11th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I know. Im just saying that even though he did make a mistake, its an easy one to make if you arent too well researched (as Lynch was in this case Im guessing)

Appfan_in_CAAland
September 11th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Did San Deigo play D3 like Davidson and Dayton before the NCAA said they had to play DI football a few years back? Heck, I remember Davidson playing at Guilford College when I lived tn Greensboro and thought it was odd at the time that the Wildcats played D3 football. If I never came to this website where people complain about the "Dayton rule" all the time, I'd would probably still assume those school were all D3 - no scholarships and all.

MplsBison
September 11th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Did San Deigo play D3 like Davidson and Dayton before the NCAA said they had to play DI football a few years back? Heck, I remember Davidson playing at Guilford College when I lived tn Greensboro and thought it was odd at the time that the Wildcats played D3 football. If I never came to this website where people complain about the "Dayton rule" all the time, I'd would probably still assume those school were all D3 - no scholarships and all.

They're still no scholarship. It's tough to believe such a thing is tolerated in DI, but it's what you have to live with in this division.

97Torero
September 12th, 2011, 05:48 PM
USD was in fact D3 up till 1993 when the Dayton Rule went into affect. Not sure when Lynch was in San Diego, but its possible they were in D3 at the time.

clenz
September 12th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Does San Diego fall under the "old" 1-AAA title? If so that could also be a reason.

Same reason, partially, people thought 1-AA was D2

EDIT: I FUBAR'ed that question. USD was never 1-AAA. Momentarily forgot AAA was no football and not no-scholarship football.

The A, AA, AAA thing was ****ed up and caused all kind of confusion. Thus the reason I like FBS and FCS.

Go...gate
September 12th, 2011, 07:00 PM
USD was in fact D3 up till 1993 when the Dayton Rule went into affect. Not sure when Lynch was in San Diego, but its possible they were in D3 at the time.

That was only in football. I remember seeing USD's BB team play Princeton in the NCAA Tournament in 1984 at The Palestra. They have been D-I in everything else, correct?

97Torero
September 14th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Correct, USD was D3 in football and D1 in all other sports.