PDA

View Full Version : Can I get a Delaware recap?

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Game seemed a little "closer" than I would expect.

Thoughts?

melloware13
September 10th, 2011, 10:09 PM
It seemed as if the team lost its edge after being up 21-0 after one quarter. Forgot how to tackle. I'm a bit nervous looking forward, but at least now they have film of our defense against a "normal" offense.

bleedblue
September 10th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I am not thrilled with our starting qb but I can tell u our backup has no business playing in the CAA. As far as our defense, I for one am completely wrong. This will not looking anything like last years defense. I thought the transfer from Maryland would be az good as Waters and our safeties would be good not great. Wrong. I thought our defensive line would dominate and lber's would be play makers. Wrong again, although the Auburn transfer is the real deal. Hope he is ok(injuried around halftime). I just don't know if we are .500 or better. What I do know is with the defense playing this way against West Chester we won't be in Texas.

VUCats02
September 10th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Delaware fans - at least you will finally be able to break Nova's winning streak in our rivalry this year - no matter how bad you guys are....

Like someone said on the Nova board, "Is it women's cross country season yet?"

blukeys
September 10th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Well this team has some real talent and the backup QB performed well.
BUT if they can't fix the problem of a center snap that is popped over the head of the QB, we may never win another game this season. These blown snaps always seemed to always occur in a drive with the down and distance at 3rd and 2.

Some basic and key things are not being done.

Right now Delaware has the 6 cans of beer but they lack the plastic thingy that keeps the beers together.

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the details guys. A lot of goofier stuff has happened today. Hard to rank some of these teams. UD is hard right now after Navy won big, and then not seeing a bigger win today.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 10th, 2011, 10:41 PM
It wasn't the blowout you would expect, and there were some things displayed that are worth worrying about, but at the same time there were some positive bits.

I like Donnelly more than Sasek. Sasek has more of a run game, but Donnelly seems like a better passer overall. He had some bad throws during this game, but some of that was the receivers being in the wrong place. With another week of practice under his belt I have faith.

AP seemed to get stuffed a lot, but Hayes showed well, and AP did manage a great breakout run during the second half of the game. AP's problems tonight weren't representative of his usual performance, so I'm willing to chalk it up to a bad night.

The O line was disappointing. They didn't create lanes for the run game as well as they should have, and they let the defense get in too quick on the passing plays. They need to be taken out to the woodshed this week during practice and shaped up - they're better than they performed tonight.

The defense showed the same hesitancy that got us in trouble vs. Navy. They kept finding themselves in the right positions to defend the plays, but tackled like 12 year old girls. It seemed like they were second guessing the tackles as they were making them, or that they were afraid of getting dirty. This is the biggest problem on the team right now I think. The defense needs to get their heads in the game and trust their instincts.

The center flubbed some snaps. That's uncharacteristic of him, and hopefully it won't repeat.

Baner missed a couple of FGs. One was a hail mary of a kick from 50+ yards out, but the other was a 44 yarder that should have been made. He had the distance on both, just not the aim. Still, he's better than that whiny little biatch Perry who quit the team when he lost his spot because he couldn't perform.

We got killed with penalties, some justified, some not. Tonights crew set a pretty tough line on what's acceptable and not regarding holding. I don't expect that to be a problem in future games.

Overall the team played down to Westchester tonight, and Westchester played up. WCUPA come in realizing tonight was one of two final games to notch a win against UD, and they played like it. Our team played like we did the second half against EWU in last year's title game - like we had already won and were just going through the motions.

We won, but it could have gone the other way if a few key plays had gone differently. Next week against DSU should be a gimme, but it might not be if the team goes into the game with the same attitude they did against Westchester tonight. With the talent on this team we can easily run the table on the rest of the schedule if the teams comes out to play hard, but we could fall into a few traps if they keep playing down to their opponents.

blukeys
September 10th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Delaware fans - at least you will finally be able to break Nova's winning streak in our rivalry this year - no matter how bad you guys are....

Like someone said on the Nova board, "Is it women's cross country season yet?"

What's not to like about watching slender and fit women running around in very short shorts and flimsy clothes.

bleedblue
September 10th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure we can run the table. I'm just glad we beat West Chester and the speaks volumes. I do agree we have lots of talent but completely disagree #9 can throw. Zero zip on the ball. I really thought since both qb's were so close in summer ball we would be ok if Trevor misses a couple games but I just don't think that's the case. I think we are in real trouble with #9 unless our OL starts pushing people around like we thought they would. I am concerned.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 10th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I'm not sure we can run the table. I'm just glad we beat West Chester and the speaks volumes. I do agree we have lots of talent but completely disagree #9 can throw. Zero zip on the ball. I really thought since both qb's were so close in summer ball we would be ok if Trevor misses a couple games but I just don't think that's the case. I think we are in real trouble with #9 unless our OL starts pushing people around like we thought they would. I am concerned.

Donnelly had better stats in this game and vs. Navy than Sasek, of course this was Westchester, and not a very good FBS team, and Donnelly's time vs Navy wasn't during the competitive portion of the game. It's hard to tell if the issues are with the QBs, the receivers, or the O-line not giving enough time. Neither of these guys are Flacco, Devlin, or Hall, but I think that with some experience in real games and some drilling on the right things in practice things can click.

melloware13
September 11th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Looking forward through the season, I would not be surprised with anything from a 5-6 record to a Thanksgiving weekend playoff game.

Rob Iola
September 11th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Looking forward through the season, I would not be surprised with anything from a 5-6 record to a Thanksgiving weekend playoff game.

They have playoff games on Thanksgiving weekend?

dystopiamembrane
September 11th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Game seemed a little "closer" than I would expect.
What were you attempting to imply with the quotation marks?

PantherRob82
September 11th, 2011, 12:23 PM
What were you attempting to imply with the quotation marks?

That the game was close score wise, but wasn't necessarily ever in doubt.

YoUDeeMan
September 11th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I am not thrilled with our starting qb but I can tell u our backup has no business playing in the CAA. As far as our defense, I for one am completely wrong. This will not looking anything like last years defense. I thought the transfer from Maryland would be az good as Waters and our safeties would be good not great. Wrong. I thought our defensive line would dominate and lber's would be play makers. Wrong again, although the Auburn transfer is the real deal. Hope he is ok(injuried around halftime). I just don't know if we are .500 or better. What I do know is with the defense playing this way against West Chester we won't be in Texas.

xrolleyesx

All Donelley did was win his first start in front of 19,600 people while completing 75% of his passes. xthumbsupx Everyone said his stats looked good versus Navy because they were playing 30 yards deep. Well, WCU wasn't playing 30 yards deep...and WCU could give a lot of FCS teams fits. Furthermore, he handled the issue of wild snaps fairly well.

He won. He managed the game, made few mistakes, and he will win again.

The D has enough talent to dominate...and they will start asserting themselves as the season progresses.

We are going to the playoffs. And once there, we can go deep. xnodx