PDA

View Full Version : Furman's Stanford Jennings To Be Inducted Into South Carolina Athletic Hall-of-Fame

OL FU
April 11th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Jennings is a legend in Furman football and played during the early days of FU's I-AA history.

Furman football great Stanford Jennings is among six honorees who will comprise the South Carolina Athletic Hall-of-Fame Class of 2006, the organization announced today.

Jennings, who as a tailback rewrote Furman and Southern Conference football record books in the early 1980s, will be enshrined in ceremonies May 22 at the new Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center .

http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041106aaa.html

fuEMO
April 11th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I'm sure most of the posters on the AGS board are not familiar with Stanford Jennings. IMO he started the modern day tradition of runningbacks at Furman and is the measuring stick by which all other Furman runningbacks have been judged.

Stanford was recruited back in the IA days. And he played a large roll in Furman's string of not losing to IA schools 5 years in a row. His highlights have to be against South Carolina 28-23 win, and Georgia Tech 17-14 win.

To bad his backup Robbie Gardner hasn't gotten the pub he deserves, he also ran for over 100 yards against GT, and had great games in back-to-back wins over NC ST as a starter.

Jennings was a lot of fun to watch, he made it look so easy. Congrats Stanford.

Redshirt Freshman tailback Stephan Lafrance 6-2, 212 is reminding the coaching staff of Jennings. That will put some high expectations on the kid.

catamount man
April 11th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I remember Stanford Jennings! Hell of a Paladin and this is a great honor for him. I swear, those WCU-Furman games back in the day with Waters and Sheridan at both schools were a thing of beauty.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

thirdgendin
April 11th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Stanford also had a 93-yard kickoff return for a TD in Super Bowl 23.

Jaques
April 12th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Stanford also had a 93-yard kickoff return for a TD in Super Bowl 23.

I wept with joy only to weep with anguish. :bawling: My favorite Bengal.:hurray:

chantster
April 13th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Had the pleasure of watching Stanford play at Summerville HS. He made it look so easy. His younger brother, Keith played college football at Clemson, and was a TE for the Chicago Bears, and I think the Cowboys.

Summerville may of produced the two most heralded backs to ever play for Furman: Stanford and John Bagwell, the bruising FB.

fuEMO
April 13th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Had the pleasure of watching Stanford play at Summerville HS. He made it look so easy. His younger brother, Keith played college football at Clemson, and was a TE for the Chicago Bears, and I think the Cowboys.

Summerville may of produced the two most heralded backs to ever play for Furman: Stanford and John Bagwell, the bruising FB.

Good point chanster… Bagwell won a IAA National Championship too. His death was a terrible loss.

chantster
April 13th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Good point chanster… Bagwell won a IAA National Championship too. His death was a terrible loss.

Yeah, sad news here in Charleston when John died. He was the HC at Fort Dorchester HS. Pretty much a given he would replace McKissick st Summerville when Big John retired.

His football team also had the Furman diamond logo with FD in the middle on their helmets. Looked really cool.