PDA

View Full Version : LFN: The Lafayette/Georgetown TV Kerfuffle

Lehigh Football Nation
September 9th, 2011, 12:10 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/09/friday-water-cooler-georgetownlafayette.html

Not only because it's worthy of its own piece and thread - I felt that Bogus' avatar needed some more exposure! xlolx

ngineer
September 9th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Nice. I posted an observation that I think this is another indicator of G-town being out the door if football scholarships get approved. They have no interest in getting bigger or better.

TheValleyRaider
September 9th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Slight correction regarding Colgate's TimeWarner connection. That is a local station that grew up without any Colgate connection, and mostly makes their bread televising Syracuse sports and Syracuse-area high school games, plus college hockey in the North Country and Capital District. They've done Colgate basketball and hockey in the past, but doing Colgate football is a fairly new development

Go...gate
September 9th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Nice. I posted an observation that I think this is another indicator of G-town being out the door if football scholarships get approved. They have no interest in getting bigger or better.

After eleven years of waiting, I am reluctantly, and with great disappointment, coming to the same conclusion.

carney2
September 9th, 2011, 05:47 PM

And I am ever so slowly and reluctantly concluding, good riddance.

DFW HOYA
September 9th, 2011, 06:54 PM

How is signing a TV deal with Verizon, when it had no such TV deal ever before, a sign of "no interest in getting bigger or better"?

ngineer
September 9th, 2011, 11:45 PM
How is signing a TV deal with Verizon, when it had no such TV deal ever before, a sign of "no interest in getting bigger or better"?

It's not. It's not allowing it's team to get significant exposure in the northeast for recruiting. High school kids with an eye on playing football at good academic schools watch these games all the time as part of THEIR recruiting process. It's a dance between the recruits and the coaches, and what better way to market your product than by showing the kids what they're all about, as opposed to just talking to them. I can't believe their 'deal' with Verizon would have prevented LSN from broadcasting the game. Their markets don't overlap. There's no competition between the networks for the same viewers.

carney2
September 10th, 2011, 08:45 AM
This from Paul Reinhard who covers Lafayette football for the Morning Call in Allentown, PA:

"I never will understand the sophomoric decision of the Georgetown people to deny the Lafayette Sports Network to do its regular RCN feed, which would have given the two schools some wide coverage. If Verizon, which has some kind of a limited-area contract with Georgetown, was going to carry the game live in the northeast region, you might have some justification – but very little. But only a small number of people in the Washington, D.C., area will have access to the game – and then on a tape delay. Even some intervention by Patriot League executive director Carolyn Schlie Femovich had no effect. Dumb. Dumber. Dumbest."

The point that the League executive director tried some intervention is interesting.

DFW HOYA
September 10th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I can't believe their 'deal' with Verizon would have prevented LSN from broadcasting the game. Their markets don't overlap. There's no competition between the networks for the same viewers.

The two companies compete for subscribers in five of RCN's six markets. The only market without direct competition between the two is the Lehigh Valley.

Bogus Megapardus
September 10th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I felt that Bogus' avatar needed some more exposure! xlolx

Gee, thanks, LFN. I coulda sent you a higher resolution graphic, you know. Just ask. Each of the four layers, of course, was wantonly swiped from Google images without attribution.

Of course, I think I might already have expressed my views on this subject elsewhere . . . . . xrolleyesx