PDA

View Full Version : UC Davis to face TCU in 2006?

SochorField
April 10th, 2006, 11:22 PM
http://www.killerfrogs.com/forums2/index.php?showtopic=51901

TexasTerror
April 11th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Glad to see TCU playing a I-AA foe...wish they'd play SFA, SHSU or Texas St-San Marcos. SFA and SHSU both have two I-A opponents as is and the 'Cats are off to Kentucky for their one I-A...

TCU was trying to play Grambling at one point, but the G-Men are now playing the Univ of Houston.

wannabegaucho
April 11th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I like this better. This is the team (and the market) that should have... you know... in 1995. Not the one in Waco.

Hansel
April 11th, 2006, 09:48 AM
look for an announcement about the game from the UC-Davis AD in a couple of months :p

Tod
April 12th, 2006, 12:48 AM
TCU won't be taking UCD lightly. Ya done screwed yourselves there. :nod: :nod: :nod: ;)

TexasTerror
April 12th, 2006, 07:39 AM
TCU won't be taking UCD lightly. Ya done screwed yourselves there. :nod: :nod: :nod: ;)

Exactly...

TCU lost to NW State recently, they won't take I-AAs lightly...

09-22-2001 24 Northwestern St. (LA) 27 Fort Worth, TX

BEAR
April 12th, 2006, 09:32 AM
I can't wait for the UCA - UC Davis game. How many schollys does UC Davis have? I bet the teams we play this year will have many more scholly players than us and that depth will make the difference in those games..Can't wait to get fully staffed in a couple of years..until then enjoy the wins..if you get 'em.:bow: Wish I had the bones to glide out to Cali for that game. Would love to see the area and the stadium.

SochorField
April 12th, 2006, 11:49 AM
TCU won't be taking UCD lightly

I never said they would. I think the Aggies would play a local DIA team (like San Jose State) closer because of atmosphere and fan support. I personally don't like this game, it has all the makings of a blow-out.

ucdtim17
April 12th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I can't wait for the UCA - UC Davis game. How many schollys does UC Davis have? I bet the teams we play this year will have many more scholly players than us and that depth will make the difference in those games..Can't wait to get fully staffed in a couple of years..until then enjoy the wins..if you get 'em.:bow: Wish I had the bones to glide out to Cali for that game. Would love to see the area and the stadium.

~37 last year, so probably ~50 for '06. It's looking less and less likely that the home opener will be played in the new digs. October in California is great, but the game will probably be played at Toomey. How many schollies will UCA be at?

ucdtim17
April 12th, 2006, 01:06 PM
While TCU is obviously not ideal, I'll be much happier with a I-A on the schedule than a D2 or lower. Without being eligible for the playoffs, it's the one opportunity to make a statement and grab headlines - the rest of the games are really just scrimmages and the final tuneup before next year

BEAR
April 12th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I am not sure how many there will be this year, but I do know they should step them up each year. Maybe 40 or so this year, then 50 or so next then hopefully full staff the next year. That is not concrete, maybe some other Bear fan would know, but it makes sense there should be a few more schollys this year than last. The team roster page is updated today and the team list is short, but very talented. I think the final roster should have close to 100 players, maybe 95 or so. I am surprised UC Davis only has that few schollys. From such a rich state as California, income-wise, Arkansas, being one of the poorest, should have many more schollys than what you mentioned. But, like I said above, I'm not an expert on schollys. But curious just the same.:read:

ucdtim17
April 12th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Well one factor off the top of my head is that I would guess UC scholarships in California are going to be a lot more expensive than UCA scholarships in Arkansas, but I'm not sure about tuition at UCA

BEAR
April 12th, 2006, 04:34 PM
That's very true..something I didn't think about. In state students pay much less than out of state of course. I wonder if the schollys are worth the same at every school. I mean if an out of state player comes in and makes a team or is recruited and is on the team, does he have to make up the difference the scholly doesn't make up for? If tuition for an instate kid is $5000 a year at UCA and an out of state is $15,000 a year, how does the football program pay for the difference? or do they have to award less scholarships to do that? Universities are a business and they love out of state kids bringing in the money..I wonder if that goes for the atheletes also. Anybody know?

BEAR
April 12th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Found the tuition costs for UCA.

Costs (2005 - 06)
Tuition: state resident $4500 full-time, $150 per credit hour part-time; nonresident $9000 full-time, $300 per credit hour part-time. Part-time tuition and fees vary according to course load
Required fees: $1164 full-time, $35 per credit hour part-time, $61 per term part-time
Room and board: $4320; room only: $1940. Room and board charges vary according to board plan and housing facility

So instate is half of out of state students. How much is UC Davis?

lucchesicourt
April 12th, 2006, 07:03 PM
UCD didn't offer any form of athletic scholarships until fairly recently (last 5 years or so). But, even through most this period it was like 5-7 schollie equivalents over the entire team. UCD played most their entire D2 history without schollies against schollie schools, and did fairly well, but never won the big game. When I attended UCd schollies were not allowed by conference rules.

ucdtim17
April 12th, 2006, 07:43 PM
05-06 fees and tuition - $8,129 in state, $25,949 out of state.

still a hell of a deal, but a hell of a lot more than it was in the not-too-distant past (5 yrs)

Tod
April 12th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I never said they would. I think the Aggies would play a local DIA team (like San Jose State) closer because of atmosphere and fan support. I personally don't like this game, it has all the makings of a blow-out.

Well, just try to be humble. :)

SochorField
April 12th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Well, just try to be humble.

Huh?

Tod
April 13th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Huh?

I'm implying that you'll win. You said "it has all the makings of a blowout". I quoted you. Read the quote and the response.

Bear Fan 101
April 13th, 2006, 12:43 AM
UCA Spring Article from UCA Student Newspaper (http://echo.uca.edu/SPORTS/S9.html)

...Because of the move to I-AA, the Bears can only bring 90 players to camp this summer. In the past UCA has given just about anyone willing to try a shot to enter camp. "Unfortunately there's going to be some tough personnel decisions to make now," Conque said. "We're going to go back and evaluate all the personnel now and unfortunately we're going to have to bring about 12 guys in here and I'm going to have a tough talk with them."Conque said he doesn't want to lead any players on and hopes that in 20 years the players will understand Conque's decision to cut them."Everything has changed," he said. "I've been here before. This isn't the AIC (old NAIA conference UCA was a part of), this isn't the Gulf South Conference, it's not Division II any more. This is an entirely different game now. This is a violent game, played very fast."

As for the scholarship sitution, I am under the impression we will be near the limit this coming year, at least that is what we've all been told.

Hey Ags, feel free to stop on by UCAFANS whenever you get the chance to. Do you Ags not think we will open the new stadium now? Has UCD not officially announced the schedule yet?

SochorField
April 13th, 2006, 12:59 AM

Tod
April 13th, 2006, 01:11 AM

:rolleyes:

wannabegaucho
April 13th, 2006, 08:22 AM
I've noticed the UCA fans seem to "hijack" a lot of threads here. Maybe that is what sochor is referring to?

SochorField
April 13th, 2006, 12:29 PM
In "makings of a blow-out" I mean TCU will blow us out.

I dont know what you are trying to say.

We wont have many fans there, and little to no students...the atmosphere will not be what it was down at Stanford.

ucdtim17
April 13th, 2006, 01:34 PM
he was taking it as you saying we would blow tcu out - tongue in cheek I assume

lucchesicourt
April 13th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Sochorfield, I am an Aggie too, and I understood exactly what you meant! The problem is everyone sees us as arrogant, because of the way we get interpreted. Tod thinks, because we beat Stanford we would blow out TCU. Me, I thought man what are we getting into. But, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain by playing TCU. If we lose, we were suppose to, if we win (like Stanford), we were lucky, caught them on a bad day, they had some big injuries, etc. Few 1AA fans give us the credit our program deserves. There are some 1AA fans out there that do, but many don't know much about us. That's not their fault, but to continue to think NDSU and Cal Poly are much superior to us, is downright wrong!!! NDSU knows it, Cal Poly knows it, and we know it. However, all three programs are top notch, and that's why the GWFC is a tough conference. SDSU is no slouch either (they will be right there with us three in no time) and they are only getting better quickly, and what a great place kicker they have!!

RabidRabbit
April 13th, 2006, 07:35 PM
SDSU is no slouch either (they will be right there with us three in no time)

Good Aggie friends - Gentle reminder that both SDSU and UCD had 6-5 seasons in 2005, and one of the UCD five losses was to the Jacks. So, I'd say the Jacks are there, with "the 3". Any team the looks past the Bunnies will pay.

"FEAR THE BUNNIES"

Bear Fan 101
April 13th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I've noticed the UCA fans seem to "hijack" a lot of threads here...

Sorry to bother you, we'll just quit posting around here now... Have agood one..:rolleyes:

lucchesicourt
April 13th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Sorry jacks it was intended to be taken in a negative way. I am just basing it on the AGS poll. Cal Poly, NDSU,UCD, and then the SDSU team. Do I take SDSU lightly? No way. I have always said the Dakotas put out top notch talent. It's just that NDSU and Cal Poly are getting most the credit as to the power teams in the GWFC. UCD tied with Poly for the conference crown and beat Poly head to head. The SDSU and UCD game was a close one score wise. But, you guys got the better of us by 2 points, I think it was.

wannabegaucho
April 13th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Sorry to bother you, we'll just quit posting around here now... Have a good one..:rolleyes:
That is not at all what I said. It seems as though every time, as of late, that there has been dialogue about UC Davis, whether it be about the stadium or ther GWFC, you guys seem to chime in. I'm rooting for you guys in the SLC, and I can't wait for the UCD-UCA game, but does every Aggie thread have to mention UCA? I don't mean this in a hostile way, but I've never seen Sacramento State fans this eager.

I'm going to shut up now. xcoffeex

ucdtim17
April 13th, 2006, 11:25 PM
I think it's cool they're excited to play Davis - it's nice not to be the new kids on the block for the first time. We're going into our senior year of this transition game

slostang
April 14th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Sorry jacks it was intended to be taken in a negative way. I am just basing it on the AGS poll. Cal Poly, NDSU,UCD, and then the SDSU team. Do I take SDSU lightly? No way. I have always said the Dakotas put out top notch talent. It's just that NDSU and Cal Poly are getting most the credit as to the power teams in the GWFC. UCD tied with Poly for the conference crown and beat Poly head to head. The SDSU and UCD game was a close one score wise. But, you guys got the better of us by 2 points, I think it was.

Davis had some very impressive wins last season (Stanford, NDSU and Cal Poly), but what the rest of the I-AA world saw was a 6-5 record. I know that both injuries and one of the toughest schedules in I-AA played a big part of Davis' five losses, but people back east do not. If Davis had won at SFA and finished 7-4, I think they would have finished in the top 25.

I would say that SDSU has arrived. They are 1 and 1 vs. Davis and NDSU the last two years and also gave Cal Poly all they can handle in both games not to mention only losing to Montana on the road by 7. They can say they are one of the top four teams in the GWFC and they would get no arguement from me.

Tod
April 14th, 2006, 12:05 AM
he was taking it as you saying we would blow tcu out - tongue in cheek I assume

Kind of tongue-in-cheek, but on the other hand, just play hard and see what happens.

RabidRabbit
April 14th, 2006, 06:23 AM
I would say that SDSU has arrived. They are 1 and 1 vs. Davis and NDSU the last two years and also gave Cal Poly all they can handle in both games not to mention only losing to Montana on the road by 7. They can say they are one of the top four teams in the GWFC and they would get no arguement from me.

Thanks slostang. It was a massive beat-up on each other for the 4 top teams last year, and a gulf to the other two teams. I predict that you'll again see that type of top parity among the four again this year. Each of the programs has taken on the top programs in 1-AA, and each has about two powderpuffs on the schedule. The best team in GWFC may have only a 7-4 record this year because of the level of difficulty each of the members has taken on.

Go GW!!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: It will be an interesting, challenging season for all members.

Oh, Aggies - Great luck with the Toadies xlolx xlolx

lucchesicourt
April 14th, 2006, 01:51 PM
The GWFC could be won by any of the top four teams. All are very good, but name recognition for UCD and SDSU is not as high as that for Cal Poly and NDSU. As a matter of fact, I think most east coast teams are more familiar with SDSU than UCD. UCD, having come from a D2 independent, has flown under the radar of east coast teams for years.

slostang
April 14th, 2006, 09:41 PM
The GWFC could be won by any of the top four teams. All are very good, but name recognition for UCD and SDSU is not as high as that for Cal Poly and NDSU. As a matter of fact, I think most east coast teams are more familiar with SDSU than UCD. UCD, having come from a D2 independent, has flown under the radar of east coast teams for years.
Any fan of I-AA football or even college football in general who did not know about UC Davis before last season certainly knows them after their win over Standford. It made the national sports radio and televison shows for a week after the win. That win will make it easier to climb the polls this year.

OldAggieAlum
April 19th, 2006, 08:36 PM
http://themwc.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041906aaj.html

The above story says that the game will be on Sept. 9 and will be televised.

TexasTerror
April 19th, 2006, 09:09 PM

Who even gets that network? Are they picking up affiliates throughout the MWC such as independents or affilitates of networks that do not have contractual obligations?

slostang
April 19th, 2006, 09:19 PM

Great game.

Montana State has UC Davis on their schedule for Sept. 9th. I wonder if they moved the game for Davis. They show Humbolt State on Sept. 16th and I think UC Davis has that date as an open date.

OldAggieAlum
April 19th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I noticed that after I posted. It sounds like a new network just getting organized. Unless Dish Network adds it I'm out of luck.

aggie6thman
April 19th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Sounds like I will be drinking beer at the Grad watching us play TCU. Either that or I will be in Fort Worth watching the game. Let's see how much money I have at that point.:beerchug: xprost2x

ucdavisaggie05
April 20th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Cal...

then San Jose State...

and now TCU.

I'm thrilled. Really, can't you tell?

BRING ON THE BEARS! I can wait...I think.

ucdtim17
April 20th, 2006, 11:18 AM
I'll be at the grad. Too bad we're stuck with a 10 game schedule - I was looking forward to the MSU game.

slostang
April 20th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I'll be at the grad. Too bad we're stuck with a 10 game schedule - I was looking forward to the MSU game.
Is MSU out for sure? There was talk that the game with MSU would be moved to Nov. 11th.

OrneryAggie
April 20th, 2006, 01:07 PM
I'd almost have preferred MSU over TCU. I know TCU is a bigger name and bigger payout. But the game with the bobcats would've been more competitive and a good measuring stick for our progress compared to other western IAA's. I guess we need that money from TCU to get the stadium done in time for the stinkin 2007 season. Either that or we're auditioning for a future spot in the MWC :D

We've lost the game with Cal, our new stadium, and only have a 10 game schedule. The shine is wearing off that stanford win more and more everyday.

I'll give credit to TCU for taking this game even though the ags don't have the necessary scholarships to count towards bowl eligiblity. Since when did Horned Frogs have bigger nads than Bears? Those chicken**** Cal Bears can suck my balls for dropping the only team who would bring as many fans and as good an atmosphere as Stanford to their stadium this season. Bring on TCU!

ucdtim17
April 20th, 2006, 01:07 PM
http://ucdavisaggies.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/ucda-m-footbl-sched.html

ucdtim17
April 20th, 2006, 01:08 PM
You'd think if we could get out of the MSU game that TCU could schedule MSU as a game that would actually count for them

OrneryAggie
April 20th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Tim, SSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!! Don't give them any ideas. Do you want us only to play 9 games?

TexasTerror
April 21st, 2006, 11:39 AM
Found an article explaining the situation involving the Mountain West TV network...

Accessibility still an issue for new CSTV/MWC channel

Jason Franchuk
DAILY HERALD

The ideas sound innovative and promising, and college football kickoff times are what fans will be thrilled to hear about for this fall. All that the Mountain West Conference and television partner CSTV need now is various television markets to cooperate so that fans can see the games come September on the league’s new TV venture.

CSTV announced Tuesday the creation of MountainWest Sports Network — also known as The mtn. — which is especially for BYU and its eight cohorts as they become the first league to have a network dedicated to them 24 hours a day. It’s been 1 1/2 years since the league decided to flee powerhouse ESPN, and the press conference in San Diego was a long-awaited day to share more ideas of how to make the historic merger of a conference and a network effective.

There’s talk about making games available on the Internet, and iPods. There’s talk about providing greater accessibility to women’s sports and other so-called “Olympic” sports, along with a variety of educational programming geared toward promoting the MWC’s nine schools.

Called a “super-regional network,” MWSN is hoping to be wide-ranging and original, showing everything from volleyball and soccer, basketball and football, to media days and pep rallies. That's just the tip of the iceberg, insists CSTV officials.

http://www.cougarblue.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=5111&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

TexasTerror
April 22nd, 2006, 11:44 AM
Another I-AA game tied into this new MWSN...

Pocatello, ID -- Idaho State University's season opening game at UNLV on Saturday, September 2 will kickoff at 7:00 pm Pacific Time, and 8:00 pm Mountain Time in Pocatello, as the Mountain West formally released game times for all non-confernece games. The game will be broadcast on the Mountain West's super regional network The mtn.

http://isubengals.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041906aaa.html

slostang
April 22nd, 2006, 12:40 PM
Cal...

then San Jose State...

and now TCU.

I'm thrilled. Really, can't you tell?

BRING ON THE BEARS! I can wait...I think.
You mean:

San Jose State - scheduled but moved to another year to...

...hopefully add Cal, which fell through so...

...back to see if San Jose State would reschedule. They said no, so...

...TCU was added (great pick up btw) but that meant...

...no MSU, so..

...back to MSU to see if they will agree to play on another date.

:bang: :doh: :bang::doh: :bang: :doh: :bang: :doh:

Lets hope the GWFC stays together. It would be hell to start each year with no conference games and try to come up with 11 or 12 ooc games.