PDA

View Full Version : NC A&T vs. App. State Game Thread

WestCoastAggie
September 7th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Figured I start this thread early.

Here is the point spread for the game: North Carolina A&T at Appalachian State (APP State -46)
xbawlingx

Personally, I believe this game will be much, much closer than 46 pts. Anywho, as long as the Aggies keep it a game for at least a half, I will be pleased.

Thoughts?

GOODY26
September 7th, 2011, 08:20 AM
The Aggies lost a couple of players from that game with VUL and are unmaned. it could get ugly before it's all over with.

WestCoastAggie
September 7th, 2011, 08:24 AM
The Aggies lost a couple of players from that game with VUL and are unmaned. it could get ugly before it's all over with.

Our injuries aren't as serious as once thought as our starting RB is probably going to start on Saturday as well as the others.

T-Dog
September 7th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Rob Broadway is a really good coach, but he's in Year One of a multi-year project and doesn't have a lot to work with this year.

I'll take the under on the spread, but not by much. Something like 49-10.

AshevilleApp2
September 7th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Tough one to call, based on last weeks game. I think App will win, but not by anything close to the spread.

asumike83
September 7th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Nothing I saw from ASU on Saturday would lead me to believe they are ready to beat anybody by 46 points, regardless of how under-manned they may be. I think App has the talent to have another great year but it will be interesting to see how they bounce back from the embarrassment of last week.

SideLine Shooter
September 7th, 2011, 08:52 AM

Here is the point spread for the game: North Carolina A&T at Appalachian State (APP State -46)
xbawlingx

Personally, I believe this game will be much, much closer than 46 pts. Anywho, as long as the Aggies keep it a game for at least a half, I will be pleased.

Thoughts?

Too many questions on both sides. App has the athletes, the question is if they can put together a team effort.

appfan2008
September 7th, 2011, 08:55 AM
After what I saw in Blacksburg I dont think ASU could beat my high school (Walton High Marietta, GA) by 46 points... I think something in the 34-17 range is much more reasonable...

WestCoastAggie
September 7th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Also, the Blue & Gold Marching Machine is making the trip, supposedly. They are about over 250 members this year and sound really excellent. You all are in for a treat at halftime.

AppAlum2003
September 7th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Also, the Blue & Gold Marching Machine is making the trip, supposedly. They are about over 250 members this year and sound really excellent. You all are in for a treat at halftime.

Well, I know when to take my bathroom break now...

biggie
September 7th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Just noticed that the Aggies had 6 (or 7) lost fumbles last week. That would be a big factor if it happens again.

Do think it will be closer than expected at this point. Lots of things to work on for App.

appfan2008
September 7th, 2011, 09:14 AM

Look forward to it... but more importantly need to have ASU's band in the endzone... I am still pissed they are not going to be there...

AppMAN04
September 7th, 2011, 09:39 AM

xbawlingx

Thoughts?

I agree 46 is a lot of points... im thinking more like 28. Once we get to rolling we will be rolling.. Im excited, Ill be bringing a few A&T Alumni sis and her fiance up to the game, this will be their first game at the Rock..

GO APPS!

Apphole
September 7th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I'm not convinced our team is as horrible as you all think it is this year. One bad game against BCS national championship contender doesn't prove anything. I predict the team takes out the anger of that embarrassment on poor ol' A&T. Especially with a really loud home opener. The EZ seats are gonna add alot of decibels. Then one more tune up game against another scrub and we're back to championship caliber for conference play. 56-13 App

SpeedkingATL
September 7th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I expect the game to be closer, more in the range of 17-21 points and based on last week would be damn happy with that result. If App does jump out to a big lead it might get ugly as I would leave the first team in longer than usual as they looked so damn bad last week they need the live play. We have let Jax and PC and WCU hang around longer than expected in recent years with more settled App teams than this.

biggie
September 7th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Maybe the best news is the 73 degrees and no rain. Hopefully I won't feel like a roasted pig (such as I did at VT). And hope to avoid parking tickets as well.

DEX
September 7th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I don't think this is the same A&T of the past few years. The offense looked good in camp and in the first game (-6 fumbles). I think we're capable of putting up 21 points if we don't put the ball on the ground a lot. If the offensive line gives Kindle time then things could be interesting for a minute. It's the defense I'm worried about!

A&T 17
ASU 42

SoCon48
September 7th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Well, I know when to take my bathroom break now...

Wait 'til you see them. You might change your mind.

Saint3333
September 7th, 2011, 10:11 AM
If A&T scores 21 on our 1st and 2nd string D I will be worried, although not surprised.

The ideal game for this ASU team is to do exactly what VT did to us last week. Get up big early and give the young guys time to develop.

AppAlum2003
September 7th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Wait 'til you see them. You might change your mind.

Eh, maybe I'm a caveman, but I think bands are boring. Yes, even the ones that hop around like morons.

I'm there for a football game. Maybe if the band was full contact it'd be more interesting.

AppMAN04
September 7th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Eh, maybe I'm a caveman, but I think bands are boring. Yes, even the ones that hop around like morons.

I'm there for a football game. Maybe if the band was full contact it'd be more interesting.

Im not going to go as far to say its boring or that they are morons..Its kind of fun and it gets the crowd into it when most people at KB normally will be taking a piss break. The game is my focus and making a big statement early.

GaSouthern
September 7th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Bands in the stands are AWESOME, I don't give a crap about half time shows though.

It's one of the things that make the atmosphere at Wofford terrible is the lack of a college band.

biggie
September 7th, 2011, 10:44 AM
My only issue with most MEAC bands is playing 95% of the time, I prefer quiet time during a play. That and some do have dancers that are in stripper attire.

AppAlum2003
September 7th, 2011, 11:00 AM
My only issue with most MEAC bands is playing 95% of the time, I prefer quiet time during a play. That and some do have dancers that are in stripper attire.

I know I'm drunk at the game typically, but I'd like to keep the circus in Vegas, not KBS.

boonegoon
September 7th, 2011, 11:07 AM
What type of schemes does A&T run?

asumike83
September 7th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I know I'm drunk at the game typically, but I'd like to keep the circus in Vegas, not KBS.

I couldn't disagree more with that statement. If a school has a good band and dance team, I love it when they do a halftime show for us. Experiencing what other schools have to offer and giving the fans a different source of entertainment is part of what makes college football so great.

StorminASU
September 7th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I don't think he's talking about halftime, it's the crap during the 60 minutes of gameplay that gets annoying. They play regardless of what's happening.

asumike83
September 7th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I don't think he's talking about halftime, it's the crap during the 60 minutes of gameplay that gets annoying. They play regardless of what's happening.

I agree. I am OK with the band playing some during the game but not overkill. Based on the comment I responded to and a few earlier comments, it sounds like he does not want their band to come to KBS at all, which I disagree with.

Skjellyfetti
September 7th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Not a huge fan of bands at halftime... but, it's better than just an empty field or a dog catching frisbees.

But, I do love the bands in the stand. Also a huge fan of drumlines. I love walking to a game and hearing the drumline in the distance. Just thinking about it gets me pumped.

WileECoyote06
September 7th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Then one more tune up game against another scrub and we're back to championship caliber for conference play. 56-13 App

See that Aggies, he called yall scrubs! xpopcornx

Farmers vs Hillbillies xlolx

Big Dawg
September 7th, 2011, 01:38 PM
My only issue with most MEAC bands is playing 95% of the time, I prefer quiet time during a play.

Actually that's not true...MEAC officials have really restricted bands from playing as much during the games...sure during a timeout you'll hear something...or MAYBE between plays...but refs hand out warnings and penalties in the MEAC.

biggie
September 7th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Actually that's not true...MEAC officials have really restricted bands from playing as much during the games...sure during a timeout you'll hear something...or MAYBE between plays...but refs hand out warnings and penalties in the MEAC.
The last couple games (believe SCSU and Central) they were playing a lot more than just timeouts, etc. Maybe it has changed recently.

Big Dawg
September 7th, 2011, 01:44 PM
The last couple games (believe SCSU and Central) they were playing a lot more than just timeouts, etc. Maybe it has changed recently.

I know last weekend, FAMU received a warning from the officials...but then again, our band is the only band who can barely play a note and draw a flag...the MEAC hates FAMU *shrugs*

Regardless, I'm sure A&T's band won't put the team at a disadvantage

SoCon48
September 7th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Bands in the stands are AWESOME, I don't give a crap about half time shows though.

It's one of the things that make the atmosphere at Wofford terrible is the lack of a college band.

Does Elon have a band?

SoCon48
September 7th, 2011, 04:44 PM

I disagree about the boring part, but still funny.

crossfire07
September 7th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I think it is a NCAA rule that bands, audio over the PA system be stopped before the ball is put into play.

Saint3333
September 7th, 2011, 07:17 PM
What type of schemes does A&T run?

Good question thanks for not talking about bands.

Based on last week's box score A&T will show us more of a passing attack. Even against a D2 school they chose to pass twice as much as run. I think they'll be able to pass on us unfortunately.

They have big bodies on their oline but will be much slower than our dline. I'm interested to see if our oline will be able to dominate their dline as this will likely be one of the worst lines they go against all year.

boonegoon
September 7th, 2011, 07:29 PM

Based on last week's box score A&T will show us more of a passing attack. Even against a D2 school they chose to pass twice as much as run. I think they'll be able to pass on us unfortunately.

They have big bodies on their oline but will be much slower than our dline. I'm interested to see if our oline will be able to dominate their dline as this will likely be one of the worst lines they go against all year.

Me too. Also, would like to see how our new D scheme is supposed to work. If we can't get to their QB, we may not get another chance.

appsfan
September 7th, 2011, 09:46 PM

I'm looking forward to the show; Welcome to the Rock!

WestCoastAggie
September 7th, 2011, 10:07 PM

I think the speed of the A&T front 7 will match-up very well with the speed and the blocking schemes of your offense. Our problem will be our depth. Also, our O-Line is much smaller and more athletic than in year's past. The Speed of your DL and front 7 shouldn't be an issue.

WestCoastAggie
September 7th, 2011, 10:11 PM
UPDATE & Change of Plans: Dr. Ruff just told the Marching Machine this evening that they will not be traveling up the mountain to Boone on Saturday.

App-a-latch-un
September 7th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I think you guys need to get the tail out between your legs. We lost to a NC caliber VT team who is now ranked 11th in the Nation. You know how pissed the team and coaching staff is?!?! Bloodbath. 66-13 App

theasushow
September 7th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I was talkin to a co-worker today who is a season ticket holder at A&T and he said that they only have around 33 players on scholarship...hard to beat anybody with that few.

alvinkayak6
September 7th, 2011, 11:07 PM
ASUShow, my friend, be nice to your A&T counterparts, their tailgate food is pretty awesome. Be nice, and you might just get an invite from one for free food and beer. JUST FYI.

theasushow
September 7th, 2011, 11:23 PM
ASUShow, my friend, be nice to your A&T counterparts, their tailgate food is pretty awesome. Be nice, and you might just get an invite from one for free food and beer. JUST FYI.

I wasnt being mean, simply stating that it is unfortunate that they only have that many players on scholarship and are competing against schools with 20+ more. It is obviously a disadvantage and I can understand why they have struggled so mightily.

alvinkayak6
September 7th, 2011, 11:53 PM
I wasnt being mean, simply stating that it is unfortunate that they only have that many players on scholarship and are competing against schools with 20+ more. It is obviously a disadvantage and I can understand why they have struggled so mightily.

They seem to have enough fan support in the area. I wonder if they convince their admins to go up 20.

james_lawfirm
September 8th, 2011, 05:31 AM

Ah, spoken like a true gentleman - er, caveman. Let's see how many more folks you can offend.

james_lawfirm
September 8th, 2011, 05:38 AM
I'm not convinced our team is as horrible as you all think it is this year. One bad game against BCS national championship contender doesn't prove anything. I predict the team takes out the anger of that embarrassment on poor ol' A&T. Especially with a really loud home opener. The EZ seats are gonna add alot of decibels. Then one more tune up game against another scrub and we're back to championship caliber for conference play. 56-13 App

Yep, I agree. We won't see any remnants of the VT game on Saturday. NC A&T is in for it. I hope their good running back is there & plays. I think our D will be just fine. And, I also think the offense will score a lot.

WestCoastAggie
September 8th, 2011, 05:52 AM
I was talkin to a co-worker today who is a season ticket holder at A&T and he said that they only have around 33 players on scholarship...hard to beat anybody with that few.

You are absolutely correct my friend. This is the reality for Coach Broadway and A&T Football this season and most likely for the next 2-3 years until the APR penalties run their course. We will be very thin in certain positions, like the DL and these things will be liabilities.

However, there is still plenty of talent on the offensive side of the ball and we do have a quality, veteran coaching staff.

These young men will play hard and will hopefully earn your team's and school's respect.

WestCoastAggie
September 8th, 2011, 05:53 AM
They seem to have enough fan support in the area. I wonder if they convince their admins to go up 20.

APR penalties + the fact that when we received our penalties, we were not funding the full allotment of schollys to begin with.

Saint3333
September 8th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Maybe I'm reading too much into Aggies post, when you say match up well are you talking about staying with ASU for a quarter, half, or entire game?

A&T still has three 330 pounders on the oline, that is smaller?

Our front 7 aren't just fast they are big. The dline averages 295 lbs. and LBs avg. 240 lbs.

Your dline average is 245 lbs. I would hope our oline would be able to block them.

I highly doubt A&T will be able to match ASU's speed.

If A&T hangs with ASU for a half I will be very worried about this team going forward.

WestCoastAggie
September 8th, 2011, 08:22 AM
A&T's starting OL, besides SR. RG Nathan Isles (330Lbs), are all hovering between 270lbs - 290lbs. We are in the process of conditioning our linemen in the same vein as your group (athletic, nimble feet, etc...). I fully believe our OL should be able to neturalize your Front Seven for at least a half and the way our new OC, Coach Pizzo calls the game, we should be able to score 3 - 4 TD's.

Our BIG problem will be our vastly undersized DL and the lack of quality depth at that position. However, our speed and defensive schemes will hopefully slow you all down a bit.

With that being said, as long as the Aggies show up, compete and can keep it competitive for at least a half, I will be happy. :)

Apphole
September 8th, 2011, 09:40 AM
AT&T blows. I have Verizon and I always have service. Wait...who are we playing on Saturday?

WileECoyote06
September 8th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Be glad you're getting A & T this year. You don't want to take a chance on them going forward. Rod Broadway and Izzo are very good coaches.

AppAlum2003
September 8th, 2011, 10:24 AM
AT&T blows. I have Verizon and I always have service. Wait...who are we playing on Saturday?

xoutofrepx

AppAlum2003
September 8th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Be glad you're getting A & T this year. You don't want to take a chance on them going forward. Rod Broadway and Izzo are very good coaches.

Heard Nick Saban turned them down for next year already... said he didn't feel like losing his job.

WileECoyote06
September 8th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Heard Nick Saban turned them down for next year already... said he didn't feel like losing his job.

Well yall will get the opportunity to meet Saban soon enough when you move up to FBS.

phoenix3
September 8th, 2011, 11:07 AM
UPDATE & Change of Plans: Dr. Ruff just told the Marching Machine this evening that they will not be traveling up the mountain to Boone on Saturday.

Too bad for App. I don't care what you think about bands at the half. If you haven't seen the A&T band you haven't seen the best. Do yourself a favor if they do come, at least wait until they play for at least 2 minutes before the nature call. If you do, I bet you'll stay for the whole thing.

Yes, Elon does have a band, but I'd probably go to the head for that performance. No disrespect mean't directly to Elon's band, but I'm not a big band at the half guy either.

ElonPride
September 8th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Too bad for App. I don't care what you think about bands at the half. If you haven't seen the A&T band you haven't seen the best. Do yourself a favor if they do come, at least wait until they play for at least 2 minutes before the nature call. If you do, I bet you'll stay for the whole thing.

That is a shame that the Blue and gold Marching Machine won't get to take a trip to the mountain.....hands down the best band to watch in North Carolina.

theasushow
September 8th, 2011, 01:20 PM
That is a shame that the Blue and gold Marching Machine won't get to take a trip to the mountain.....hands down the best band to watch in North Carolina.

I agree, that sucks. This will be one of the best opportunities for the A&T band to perform in a great atmosphere in front of 30,000+

ASUG8
September 8th, 2011, 02:33 PM
If I'm wrong I'll eat my crow after the game Saturday, but I'm surprised that some of you who actually watched ASU play on both sides of the ball last week are predicting a blowout. I just hope we're able to get the bugs and cobwebs worked out in the next couple of weeks and escape with a couple of confidence builders.

Skjellyfetti
September 8th, 2011, 02:43 PM
If I'm wrong I'll eat my crow after the game Saturday, but I'm surprised that some of you who actually watched ASU play on both sides of the ball last week are predicting a blowout. I just hope we're able to get the bugs and cobwebs worked out in the next couple of weeks and escape with a couple of confidence builders.

I don't see why the Virginia Tech game would have much bearing on this game. We're just way below Virginia Tech in every way. That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. We're way above NC A&T everywhere but running back. We should win by 3+ touchdowns.

We got blown out by Florida last year but were still able to blow out WIU the next week in the playoffs.

elkinftball2002
September 8th, 2011, 02:47 PM
va tech is gonna beat several schools by 40 or more points that are acc schools so I refuse to let our play against them tell me how the season is gonna be

biggie
September 8th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I don't see why the Virginia Tech game would have much bearing on this game. We're just way below Virginia Tech in every way. That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. We're way above NC A&T everywhere but running back. We should win by 3+ touchdowns.

We got blown out by Florida last year but were still able to blow out WIU the next week in the playoffs.
Speaking of, is A&Ts running back hurt?

Hope we get Miller involved more and Cadet at WR more.

ElonPride
September 8th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I agree, that sucks. This will be one of the best opportunities for the A&T band to perform in a great atmosphere in front of 30,000+

I'm pretty sure they perform in crowds larger than that during the year. :)

The A&T football team may not stir any emotions, but that band would blow the fans from the seats!

WestCoastAggie
September 8th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Speaking of, is A&Ts running back hurt?

Hope we get Miller involved more and Cadet at WR more.

Mike Mayhew will be playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder after being subtly called out by the Coach Broadway.

We will also have a kid by the name of Dominique Drake carrying the rock at various points in the game.

AppMAN04
September 8th, 2011, 03:41 PM
ITS THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR!

ASUG8
September 8th, 2011, 03:41 PM

That was the most completely disjointed ASU effort I've ever witnessed. I don't expect a VT effort out of A&T, but we'd have had a difficult time winning an intrasquad scrimmage last week.

dbackjon
September 8th, 2011, 03:47 PM
NC A&T by 5

WestCoastAggie
September 8th, 2011, 04:16 PM
ITS THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR!

It's basketball season?

Mountaineer
September 8th, 2011, 04:25 PM
NC A&T by 5

xlolx

Yeah, I hope App can keep it competitive. ;)

Skjellyfetti
September 8th, 2011, 04:26 PM
NC A&T by 5

http://arch.413chan.net/Not_Sure_if_Serious-(n1292338719834).jpg

dbackjon
September 8th, 2011, 04:29 PM
xlolx

Yeah, I hope App can keep it competitive. ;)

http://arch.413chan.net/Not_Sure_if_Serious-(n1292338719834).jpg

I will let you know on Sunday ;)

asumike83
September 8th, 2011, 05:37 PM
That was the most completely disjointed ASU effort I've ever witnessed. I don't expect a VT effort out of A&T, but we'd have had a difficult time winning an intrasquad scrimmage last week.

I agree. I was in Blacksburg and that was easily the worst performance I've seen by an ASU team. We were beaten soundly by Florida last year but it did not even compare to Saturday's massacre, nor has any other FBS loss I've seen except for maybe Wyoming in '04. The difference is the caliber of play we expected out of ASU in '04 compared to now.

However, I hope that last week's game shook any complacency or overconfidence out of the team so they play humble and angry the rest of the year. One of two things will happen: last week will carry over in a negative way and we stumble around all game again, or it carries over positively and all our frustrations are taken out on A&T. I don't see a lot of middle ground.

AppStsGr8
September 8th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Our injuries aren't as serious as once thought as our starting RB is probably going to start on Saturday as well as the others.

So Mayhew's able to play? Glad to hear that. It certainly sounds like he's a great player.

GunsAndGuitars
September 8th, 2011, 09:06 PM
One bad game against BCS national championship contender doesn't prove anything.

As much as I would like to justify the beatdown received, VT is not a BCS championship contender. They made us look like the Pulaski County Middle School football team, but they aren't going to have as big a year as they, and everybody else thinks they will after that game. That was a statement directed at JMU, we just happened to take the beating for it.

Skjellyfetti
September 8th, 2011, 09:30 PM
VT is not a BCS championship contender.

What?

They'll be favored in every regular season game they play for the rest of the season... most of them by double digits. I think they have the best odds... maybe outside of Boise... of going undefeated through the regular season. They'll be climbing up the polls for the rest of the year. If they beat (probably) Florida State in the ACC championship game... and aren't upset before that game... they'll be in the BCS championship game.

I don't see how they aren't BCS contenders. Look at their schedule:

Appalachian State
@ ECU
Arkansas State
@ Marshall
Clemson
Miami
@ Wake Forest
Boston College
@ Duke
@ Georgia Tech
North Carolina
@ Virginia

SideLine Shooter
September 8th, 2011, 09:33 PM
What?

They'll be favored in every regular season game they play for the rest of the season... most of them by double digits. They'll be climbing up the polls for the rest of the season. If they beat (probably) Florida State in the ACC championship game... and aren't upset before that game... they'll be in the BCS championship game.

Appalachian State
@ ECU
Arkansas State
@ Marshall
Clemson
Miami
@ Wake Forest
Boston College
@ Duke
@ Georgia Tech
North Carolina
@ Virginia

I think they call it Strength of Schedule, similar to Boise State.

Skjellyfetti
September 8th, 2011, 09:35 PM
So, then they're not a national title contender because of their schedule? And not because they're not a great team?

theasushow
September 8th, 2011, 09:37 PM
What?

They'll be favored in every regular season game they play for the rest of the season... most of them by double digits. I think they have the best odds... maybe outside of Boise... of going undefeated through the regular season. They'll be climbing up the polls for the rest of the year. If they beat (probably) Florida State in the ACC championship game... and aren't upset before that game... they'll be in the BCS championship game.

Appalachian State
@ ECU
Arkansas State
@ Marshall
Clemson
Miami
@ Wake Forest
Boston College
@ Duke
@ Georgia Tech
North Carolina
@ Virginia

They always loose to somebody they shouldn't, see JMU, BC, UNC, GT over the past few years...this year an undefeated VT or may not get in the BCS title game over a 1 loss Alabama or Oklahoma.

SideLine Shooter
September 8th, 2011, 09:38 PM
So, then they're not a national title contender because of their schedule? And not because they're not a great team?

Thats the way the selection committee sees it.

Skjellyfetti
September 8th, 2011, 09:38 PM
They always loose to somebody they shouldn't, see JMU, BC, UNC, GT over the past few years...this year an undefeated VT or may not get in the BCS title game over a 1 loss Alabama or Oklahoma.

They're still going to be a contender, though.

And David Wilson will be a Heisman contender.

Skjellyfetti
September 8th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Thats the way the selection committee sees it.

What? There is no selection committee...

SideLine Shooter
September 8th, 2011, 09:41 PM
What? There is no selection committee...

Somebody has to decide who gets the title game or the #1 pole position.

Skjellyfetti
September 8th, 2011, 09:43 PM
You mean the BCS algorithm?

GunsAndGuitars
September 8th, 2011, 10:03 PM
What?

Appalachian State
@ ECU
Arkansas State
@ Marshall
Clemson
Miami
@ Wake Forest
Boston College
@ Duke
@ Georgia Tech
North Carolina
@ Virginia

Name the top 10 team there. FSU will be a game that could give them a shot at a big game, but I honestly don't think an undefeated VT team that puts up massive numbers all year has the SOS to be a BCS national championship contender. I'm sorry, but they don't.

Skjellyfetti
September 8th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Well, now you're arguing that it's because they have an easy schedule. Last page you were arguing that it's because they aren't a great team.

They have a great defense and one of the best offensive play makers in all of college football. They're legit.

GunsAndGuitars
September 8th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Well, now you're arguing that it's because they have an easy schedule. Last page you were arguing that it's because they aren't a great team.

They have a great defense and one of the best offensive play makers in all of college football. They're legit.

If their QB can manage a game and not turn the ball over, they'll be a good team. The defense is certainly improved over last year, but I think they still have some large gaps over the middle. It was just an observation I had along with some VT faithful in the section where I was. We'll see if anybody gets a chance to exploit that, or if it's fixed in time for ECU. They're good this year, but I don't think they're a "great team" and I probably will be the only person saying that for a while. I'm fine with that.

theasushow
September 8th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I expect for VT to have a very solid 1 loss season, but as noted before there isn't 1 top 25 team on that schedule. Even if a ACC team runs the table, they can't compete with the SEC's (6 top 20 teams) of the world. The ACC has just been really weak as of late. To put it into perspective VT lost to JMU last year and still went to the Orange Bowl, which is the same game they would have been in even had they beat JMU.

WileECoyote06
September 9th, 2011, 06:51 AM
If VT goes undefeated they will play in the BCS championship game; unless there are no fewer than three other undefeated teams. A one-loss major conference team will not get a nod over an undefeated major conference team. The coaches/SIDs won't allow it in their poll. It would disrupt everything the BCS is supposed to correct.

By the end of the season, one, maybe even two of those teams will be ranked. But good lord, I don't know how in the world they managed to get such an easy schedule.

GunsAndGuitars
September 9th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Mike Mayhew will be playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder after being subtly called out by the Coach Broadway.

We will also have a kid by the name of Dominique Drake carrying the rock at various points in the game.

My question is what does the line in front of them look like?

asumike83
September 9th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I'm not saying that an undefeated VT team would be better than a 1-loss LSU/Alabama/Oklahama squad, but there is no way the BCS leaves an undefeated BCS conference team out of the title game unless there are 2 others out there as well.

I was as embarrassed as anyone of the performance last week, but the sky is not falling fellas. A veteran, SoCon championship holding team with a 9-1 record got smoked 48-10 by a 7-5 Florida team last season. Is a young team playing their first game together giving up 66 to a top 15 VT team that much worse?

Skjellyfetti
September 9th, 2011, 11:12 AM
New video for this week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8B152DV8ZU

Mountaineer
September 9th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Awesome. xbowx

Tomorrow can't get here soon enough.

GunsAndGuitars
September 9th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I was as embarrassed as anyone of the performance last week, but the sky is not falling fellas. A veteran, SoCon championship holding team with a 9-1 record got smoked 48-10 by a 7-5 Florida team last season. Is a young team playing their first game together giving up 66 to a top 15 VT team that much worse?

I'm not saying the sky is falling. I was there last week, I'll be there tomorrow. We got embarrassed, but that says something about our program if a big loss to a big team is an embarrassment to us. We have high expectations. I'm expecting to see this team bounce back tomorrow.

That said I still think VT came out with a statement to JMU, we just happened to be the messenger that got kicked in the endless pit of beatdown. I don't think VT will be that good all year. I just don't, sorry xdontknowx.

DEX
September 10th, 2011, 01:43 AM
My question is what does the line in front of them look like?

The offensive line should be a strength although they haven't seen the 3-4 a whole lot. Last week Mayhew had 61 yards on 8 carries before he left injured. We have playmakers all over the place on offense but you never know how they'll react against this level of competition. Last year we could move the ball, we just couldn't get in the end zone and we couldn't stop other teams from scoring at will. We've improved a lot but it might not show in the results on Saturday.

Aggies 21
App 48

Gil Dobie
September 10th, 2011, 07:21 AM
App St 35, AT&T 14

91Niner
September 10th, 2011, 11:49 AM
New video for this week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8B152DV8ZU

Wow, that video is HOT, HOT, HOT!!!!

theasushow
September 10th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Wow, that video is HOT, HOT, HOT!!!!

original.

Big Dawg
September 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM
original.

But still funny...

91Niner
September 10th, 2011, 03:43 PM
original.

I love the classics, what can I say......

CharlestonAppFan
September 10th, 2011, 04:50 PM
45-6 App. 4th quarter

CharlestonAppFan
September 10th, 2011, 04:55 PM
pick 6 for a true freshman for App. 51-6 App, 4th quarter

ASUG8
September 10th, 2011, 04:59 PM

Happily eating my crow dinner right now. Tasty.:D

CharlestonAppFan
September 10th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Happily eating my crow dinner right now. Tasty.:D

xlolx xbowx

CharlestonAppFan
September 10th, 2011, 05:10 PM
58-6 App. 2:32 4th quarter

ASUG8
September 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM
58-6 App. 2:32 4th quarter

Freakin' Yahoo isn't updating often enough...still showing 45-6 xeyebrowx

CharlestonApp - we'll see you in Chucktown for the El Cid game. :D

theasushow
September 10th, 2011, 05:31 PM
58-6 final.

CharlestonAppFan
September 10th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Freakin' Yahoo isn't updating often enough...still showing 45-6 xeyebrowx

CharlestonApp - we'll see you in Chucktown for the El Cid game. :D

Hopefully I can make it; my lil boy is due on Oct 26th! El Cid game is on Oct 15th, so I'm crossing my fingers. I don't think my wife is gonna go though haha

StorminASU
September 10th, 2011, 07:40 PM
NC A&T (read ASU) by 5(2)

I will let you know on Sunday ;)

It's not Sunday yet, but I went ahead and fixed your prediction to save you the trouble.

AppMAN04
September 10th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Oh the game was awesome today, beautiful weather.. Had a great time hanging with some of the A&T fans.. I wish Mayhew would have been 100%, It would not have changed the outcome but I hated seeing him limp off the field a few times. Our Defense played very well making some key stops/turnovers deep in our own territory.. Offense got the ball rolling again..

I said its great to be a Mountaineer!

asumike83
September 10th, 2011, 10:46 PM
It was a beautiful day for football and a strong showing by ASU, although I'm not sure exactly how much you can take from it considering how short-handed A&T was. Attendance was 26,415 which is a little disappointing for the home opener but I still had a great time!