PDA

View Full Version : FCS vs FBS Expectations

URMite
September 6th, 2011, 12:50 PM
In these games, it is not just wins and losses but how well you play compared to expectations. I don't have the lines, but it would be interesting to see who did the best and worse vs the spread. I do have Phil Steele predictions:
http://blog.philsteele.com/2011/08/31/fbs-vs-fcs-forecasts-for-every-game-week-one/

Off the top of my head, in no particular order, Sac St, UR, EWU, UNI, EKU, SBU, and maybe Murray State seem to be the biggest surprises (not sure about Louisville this year). Does that about cover it?

Trying to catch up, since I lost internet for 3 days, and missed voting in the poll.

eagle07
September 6th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I agree with you URMITE, it is alot about expectations. I just have to throw out there that at the beginning of the season expectations( and lines are all speculation) can often be skewed or are far from the reality for some teams. So taking that into consideration, It's so hard to make judgements on how well a team did based on the lines at the beginning of the year. Just like the trouble folks are having about the poll now

ElonPride
September 6th, 2011, 01:09 PM
It seems Elon exceeded most folks' expectations, including my own.....completing the Vandy game on top in passing, time of possession & first downs. The one glaring issue was turnovers.

According to Phil Steele, Elon's only played three FCS teams since 2007. That's news to me :)

bjtheflamesfan
September 6th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Liberty (though they lost by 22) actually hung right with NC State and if not for a couple late turnovers had a chance to bring down the second ACC team this past weekend