PDA

View Full Version : CAA Week 2 Predictions

JMUNJ08
September 5th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Week 2 is here! Things should start to take shape for a few teams after some tough to judge outcomes in Week 1. Many expected more of a fight out of W&M, UD, JMU, Nova and UNH but got it from UR who now doesn't seem to be much of a wildcard with the coaching change. Let's get to the games!

Last week 9-1
Bonus 1-0

BYE - (21) UMass

(8) Delaware vs. West Chester
Yep, the series between these two fierce rivals continues
UD 45 - WC 10

(19) JMU vs. Central Conneticut State
Bridgeforth is going to finally have its big day to a hopefully sold out crowd! CCSU is not too well known by the casual fan down in Harrisonburg but the top performing NEC team cannot be overlooked. With all the hype and some flashes from Justin Thorpe vs. UNC last week, I think the Dukes should take this one.
JMU 34 - CCSU 13

Maine @ Pittsburgh
Maine had a nice win over Bryant last week but should be heading into their ugly grudge match with Albany at .500.
Maine 14 - Pitt 48

(13) New Hampshire @ (14) Lehigh
A nice top 25 matchup OOC early in the season for the voters and teams to start shaping their seasons. Lehigh comes off a nice win while UNH seems to have lost their FBS giant killer mojo. The return game from last year I feel will be much closer and almost a coin flip. I have UNH kicking a late FG to pull out a toughy.
UNH 27 - Lehigh 24

ODU @ Georgia State
The 3rd and 2nd year start-up / future CAA foes square off to see who is the pretender. I still think both are as they build up their programs but ODU seems to be further along. Will the 'Dome be packed for a good matchup?
ODU 31 - GaSt. 20

Rhode Island @ Syracuse
Syracuse is riding high after the comeback vs. Wake in Week 1 but will be getting a tough URI team playing their first game after a bye week to start the year. I see a good showing by the Rams to get people's attention.
URI 23 - Syracuse 31

(9) Richmond vs. Wagner
UR had another nice win @ Duke (3 in a row? who knew?) Wagner is not Duke nor do they get the Spiders at their place. Might be tough to watch after half time if UR plays to their potential.
UR 42 - Wagner 13

Towson vs. (20) Villanova
CAA conference schedule is under way!!!! This is going to be a measuring stick game for both teams. How far has Nova fallen after 3 years in the top 4 nationally? Is Towson finally on the upswing following so many lean years? Towson at home makes this a coin flip for me without a ton of substance in the early season. I'm going with the upset to shock the FCS world.
Towson 22 - Nova 20

(5) W&M @ VMI
The Tribe look to lick their wounds as they travel across the state of Virginia again for the Keydets. While the crowd is great along with the campus, VMI needs more help on the field. W&M might lend their 4th string to help out.
W&M 38 - VMI 12

BONUS
With Georgia State playing ODU this week and thus not here for the bonus, I am going to pick a playoff elimination game. WEEK 2 ELIMINATION GAME???? Sure is to me. A loss by South Carolina State puts them at 0-2 and I think, unless they run the table, sitting at home after their Turkey dinners.
South Carolina State 37 @ Bethune Cookman 41

Squealofthepig
September 5th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Wow, going with Towson! That would be a huge win; will it take them five overtimes to do it?

(Towson's lone win last year was vs. Coastal Carolina in five OT's)

I'd also bet that the Orange put it out of range of Rhode Island; obviously I'm cheering on the Rams, but I don't see Syracuse having that huge a letdown.

ODU/GSU is the one that interests me most as a voter.

I-16Bandit
September 6th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Will the 'Dome be packed for a good matchup?

No.

SonuvaHenx2
September 6th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Delaware
James Madison
Pittsburgh
Lehigh
Old Dominion
Syracuse
Richmond
Villanova
William & Mary

WrenFGun
September 6th, 2011, 06:20 AM
UNH's defense looked as bad as I've seen it in about five years, but their offense looked very solid. I think they're going to need to score 40 to beat Lehigh on Saturday.

The Cats
September 6th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Delaware vs. West Chester
JMU vs. Central Conneticut State
Maine @ Pittsburgh
New Hampshire @ Lehigh
ODU @ Georgia State
Rhode Island @ Syracuse
Richmond vs. Wagner
Towson vs. Villanova
W&M @ VMI

NHwildEcat
September 6th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Maine @ Pittsburgh
New Hampshire @ Lehigh
ODU @ Georgia State
Rhode Island @ Syracuse
Richmond vs. Wagner
Towson vs. Villanova
W&M @ VMI

I actually think its a pretty easy week to pick...I see no upsets. UNH will rebound against Lehigh...and if I am wrong, I think this could become a long season and an even longer offseason. Essentially, if UNH is to be a contender this year they should be beating teams like Lehigh- what I mean by that is NEC teams...no ill wills or disrespect to Lehigh. I am looking forward to the drive down for the game!

crusader11
September 6th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Last week 7-3. Predictions for this week's games:

Maine @ Pittsburgh
New Hampshire @ Lehigh (this is the game of the week in the CAA...as well as the Patriot League)
ODU @ Georgia State
Rhode Island @ Syracuse
Richmond vs. Wagner
Towson vs. Villanova (surprise of the weekend)
W&M @ VMI

UNH Fanboi
September 6th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Even after 7 years of consistency, it doesn't take much for people to start doubting UNH. I'd like to point out a couple of things:
1. Toledo may be from a weak FBS conference, but they returned nearly all of their starters from last year's 8-5 team and could go 9-3 or 10-2 this year.
2. Nearly everything that could have gone wrong last week did (-5 turnover differential, botched snaps, TD called back, etc.). I don't expect that stuff to happen on a weekly basis.
3. UNH's defense (particularly the DBs) looked bad, but their offense was respectable. Fortunately, the CAA looks to be pretty weak offensively this year, particularly in the passing game.
3. I know a lot has changed since last year (the UNH defense is weaker, Lehigh has improved and Lehigh is at home) but UNH out-gained Lehigh 519-129 last year. I don't think UNH's loss to a respectable FBS program and Lehigh's win over a NEC bottom-feeder warrants predictions that Lehigh will win this game.

UNH 38 - Lehigh 24

crusader11
September 6th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Winner of the Lehigh-UNH game is going to have to put up 40+ points, in my opinion. Even though Toledo was simply faster on offense for UNH's D to keep pace with, Lehigh is no slouch on the offensive end either. In the early stages of the 2010 season, Lehigh was still searching for their identity on offense and made significant strides throughout the season; the Lum-Spadola connection is one of the best in the FCS (Decker-Olrando ain't bad either).

By the way, watch out for Lehigh's "throw back pass"...they nailed several opponents with this last year.

Southsider
September 6th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Maine @ Pittsburgh
New Hampshire @ Lehigh
ODU @ Georgia State
Rhode Island @ Syracuse
Richmond vs. Wagner
Towson vs. Villanova
W&M @ VMI

Hey Cats, you pick Lehigh on the PL thread, but UNH here. What's up with that???

jmufan999
September 6th, 2011, 11:11 AM
UD
JMU
Pitt
UNH
ODU
Syracuse
UR
Villanova
W&M
BC

edit: forgot UD and BC.

PAllen
September 6th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Delaware
JMU
Pitt
UNH
ODU
Syracuse
Richmond
Nova
W&M

BC

MR. CHICKEN
September 6th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Hey Cats, you pick Lehigh on the PL thread, but UNH here. What's up with that???

BEER!

VUCats02
September 6th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I think Nova will get one of their few wins this season this weekend. Playing Towson after playing a team like Temple should make a team feel like the game is pretty easy. Playing a CAA opponent after playing a team like Morgan St should make the game feel pretty difficult :P

tribefan40
September 6th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Delaware vs. West Chester 35-7 Is this the last one against Chester?
JMU vs. Central Conneticut State 27-21 Close, but the devils are finally overwhelmed by the size of the home stands.
Maine @ Pittsburgh 17-55 Tough for week 2.
New Hampshire @ Lehigh 35-31 Might have to watch this one...
ODU @ Georgia State 41-28 The monarchs ain't scared of the dome, but maybe what's outside the dome...
Rhode Island @ Syracuse 24-23 Upset.
Richmond vs. Wagner 28-10 Wagner?
Towson vs. Villanova 28-24 Towson beat somebody 42-3 last week? Towson beat somebody last week?
W&M @ VMI 35-0 Defense scores 4 tds off turnovers with grimes' only score coming on a kick return.

MR. CHICKEN
September 6th, 2011, 01:10 PM
JMU vs. Central Conneticut State 27-21 Close, but the devils are finally overwhelmed by the size of the home stands.
ODU @ Georgia State 41-28 The monarchs ain't scared of the dome, but maybe what's outside the dome...
Towson vs. Villanova 28-24 Towson beat somebody 42-3 last week? Towson beat somebody last week?
W&M @ VMI 35-0 Defense scores 4 tds off turnovers with grimes' only score coming on a kick return.

16055.......NOPE.....2012 IS LAST ONE......xhurrayx....AWK!

WrenFGun
September 6th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I don't think UNH deserves "respect" based on last year's performance, as it was last year's team. They no longer have Terrance Fox, Kevon Mason, Huge Souza, Dino Vasso, Ryan McGuiness, John Greer, Mike Perkins, Steve Young, John Murray, Lance Mailloux, Kyle Auffray, etc. Steve Young's loss was EXTREMELY noticeable in Game 1, and the defensive secondary was atrocious. Lum is a good passer and if the secondary doesn't step up it's going to be another long day. I really saw very little from Asam, Houston, Beranger or Walker that suggested anything from Game 1, but it was just 1 game. I'm extremely concerned about Jared Smith and Sean McCann in the middle, though. They got destroyed by Toledo...they'll have to be considerably better this week to win.

I think if UNH wins, it will be something like, 40-37, or so. This is a tough matchup.

Brad82
September 6th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Delaware
JMU
Pitt
UNH
ODU
URI
Richmond
Towson (let's see if they are ready to win in CAA)
W&M

JMUNJ08
September 6th, 2011, 08:36 PM

Got to hedge your losses!

BlueHenSinfonian
September 6th, 2011, 09:20 PM

16055.......NOPE.....2012 IS LAST ONE......xhurrayx....AWK!

Who is Westchester going to get their annual guarantee game from after we're done with the series?

UNHFootballAlum
September 6th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I don't think UNH deserves "respect" based on last year's performance, as it was last year's team. They no longer have Terrance Fox, Kevon Mason, Huge Souza, Dino Vasso, Ryan McGuiness, John Greer, Mike Perkins, Steve Young, John Murray, Lance Mailloux, Kyle Auffray, etc. Steve Young's loss was EXTREMELY noticeable in Game 1, and the defensive secondary was atrocious. Lum is a good passer and if the secondary doesn't step up it's going to be another long day. I really saw very little from Asam, Houston, Beranger or Walker that suggested anything from Game 1, but it was just 1 game. I'm extremely concerned about Jared Smith and Sean McCann in the middle, though. They got destroyed by Toledo...they'll have to be considerably better this week to win.

I think if UNH wins, it will be something like, 40-37, or so. This is a tough matchup.

If the UNH front 7 can get consistent pressure on Lum, the secondary will be better protected than in game 1

TwoFeathers
September 7th, 2011, 09:46 AM

I actually think Grimes is going to have a huge day. Given Paulus' performance last week, and the Tribe should dominate the line, I think Laycock is going to want to pound the ball all day long.

alvinkayak6
September 7th, 2011, 10:01 AM
BYE - UMass : UMass over the BYE 47-24

UD 35 - WC 24

JMU 23 - CCSU 13

Maine @ Pittsburgh
Maine 10 - Pitt 48

New Hampshire @ Lehigh
UNH 20 - Lehigh 31

ODU @ Georgia State
ODU 23 - GaSt. 20

Rhode Island @ Syracuse
URI 14 - Syracuse 35

(9) Richmond vs. Wagner
UR 31 - Wagner 13

Towson vs. Villanova
Towson 23 - Nova 20

W&M @ VMI
W&M 38 - VMI 7

BONUS

South Carolina State 27 @ Bethune Cookman 41

Bethune Cookman is the real deal. Have you seen the wheels on the UMD transfer Robinson? Watch out!

RichH2
September 7th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Even after 7 years of consistency, it doesn't take much for people to start doubting UNH. I'd like to point out a couple of things:
1. Toledo may be from a weak FBS conference, but they returned nearly all of their starters from last year's 8-5 team and could go 9-3 or 10-2 this year.
2. Nearly everything that could have gone wrong last week did (-5 turnover differential, botched snaps, TD called back, etc.). I don't expect that stuff to happen on a weekly basis.
3. UNH's defense (particularly the DBs) looked bad, but their offense was respectable. Fortunately, the CAA looks to be pretty weak offensively this year, particularly in the passing game.
3. I know a lot has changed since last year (the UNH defense is weaker, Lehigh has improved and Lehigh is at home) but UNH out-gained Lehigh 519-129 last year. I don't think UNH's loss to a respectable FBS program and Lehigh's win over a NEC bottom-feeder warrants predictions that Lehigh will win this game.

UNH 38 - Lehigh 24

Left out most important fact. Last yr LUm out injured. We had no O at all.

HailSzczur
September 7th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Maine @ Pittsburgh
New Hampshire @ Lehigh
ODU @ Georgia State
Rhode Island @ Syracuse
Richmond vs. Wagner
Towson vs. Villanova
W&M @ VMI

Mattymc727
September 7th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Maine @ Pittsburgh
New Hampshire @ Lehigh
ODU @ Georgia State
Rhode Island @ Syracuse
Richmond vs. Wagner
Towson vs. Villanova
W&M @ VMI

bluehenbillk
September 7th, 2011, 01:31 PM
UD 38 WCU 13 2012 is finally the end to this series that should've been killed a decade ago
JMU 34 CCSU 10 JMU should get their highest point total offensively of the season
PITT 47 Maine 14 CAA takes another one on the chin
UNH 27 Lehigh 20 Lehigh makes it a lot close than last year
ODU 34 GSU 27 The Rapidly Improving Bowl
Cuse 40 URI 12 See the Pitt/Maine comment
UR 48 Wagner 7 UR makes a statement against overmatched cupcake
'Nova 23 Towson 17 'Nova looked real bad Week 1 - but they're still Towson
W&M 45 VMI 9 Keydets got beat at home by DelState, any ?'s

jayhawkdaddy
September 7th, 2011, 05:11 PM
UD
JMU
Pitt
UNH
Georgia State
Syracuse
Richmond
Villanova
William & Mary

Wildcat80
September 7th, 2011, 06:22 PM

UNH 38 - Lehigh 24

Very logical approach.....hope UNH plays that way!

GeauxLions94
September 7th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Maine @ Pittsburgh
New Hampshire @ Lehigh
ODU @ Georgia State
Rhode Island @ Syracuse
Richmond vs. Wagner
Towson vs. Villanova
W&M @ VMI

VUCats02
September 7th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Is the UNH - Lehigh game being televised anywhere? Is it on Comcast or a local Philly channel? There are two football games I want to see this weekend at sadly Nova vs. Towson is not one of them (obviously if the game was at Nova, I would go, but not making the trip to Maryland for this one): UNH - Lehigh and Penn St -Bama

MR. CHICKEN
September 7th, 2011, 11:14 PM
[/B]

I actually think Grimes is going to have a huge day. Given Paulus' performance last week, and the Tribe should dominate the line, I think Laycock is going to want to pound the ball all day long.

16059.....C'MON FEATHERAHS...DEL. STATE BEAT 'EM....IT'S UH STAT GAME...GRIMES SHOOD GET DUH HEISMAN....xasswhipx...AWK!

YEAH....TA KEEP DUH SCORE...BELOW.....DUH FAULT LINE...........xnodx....BRAWK!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Is the UNH - Lehigh game being televised anywhere? Is it on Comcast or a local Philly channel? There are two football games I want to see this weekend at sadly Nova vs. Towson is not one of them (obviously if the game was at Nova, I would go, but not making the trip to Maryland for this one): UNH - Lehigh and Penn St -Bama

You sound like me. There's one game i want to see and Temple @ Akron is not it. Next week things change when Penn State rolls into the Linc.

This will be Lehigh's biggest non-Lafayette game since the JMU playoff game in '04.

RattlerFan70
September 8th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Maine @ Pittsburgh
New Hampshire @ Lehigh
ODU @ Georgia State
Rhode Island @ Syracuse
Richmond vs. Wagner
Towson vs.Villanova
W&M @ VMI

crusader11
September 8th, 2011, 07:35 AM
You sound like me. There's one game i want to see and Temple @ Akron is not it. Next week things change when Penn State rolls into the Linc.

This will be Lehigh's biggest non-Lafayette game since the JMU playoff game in '04.

I think including "non-Patriot League" game would be a more accurate statement. While this game is big and all for Lehigh, a loss would only make an at-large bid to the playoffs harder to come by. Don't you think last year's game at Holy Cross was bigger? That was essentially the PLC game...lose that and there are no playoffs.

VUCats02
September 8th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I think including "non-Patriot League" game would be a more accurate statement. While this game is big and all for Lehigh, a loss would only make an at-large bid to the playoffs harder to come by. Don't you think last year's game at Holy Cross was bigger? That was essentially the PLC game...lose that and there are no playoffs.

I believe that Lehigh was favored to win that Holy Cross game and they have had a lot of success in the Patriot League. I agree with you that the stakes were higher for the Holy Cross game, but I agree with TU owl that this is the biggest non-Lafayette game. They have not found much success against CAA teams, and they finally get a good opportunity in a 13 vs 14 ranked matchup.

crusader11
September 8th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I don't have it in front of me, but Lehigh was probably favored by a touchdown or so. But, does being favored make the game "less big"? Being just the second game of the season and a non-conference game, I find it hard that this one is bigger than a Patriot League Championship game. Heck, wouldn't the playoff game at Delaware last year be a bigger game than this?

LUHawker
September 8th, 2011, 09:13 AM

Maybe a little too bold to claim that this is the "biggest non-LC game" since JMU in '04. Just for starters, what about UNI last year? Pretty big, I think. With all due respect to the Saders, last year's game wouldn't be the biggest and ultimately wouldn't have kept LU out of playoffs, even with a loss.

crusader11
September 8th, 2011, 09:20 AM
If Lehigh had lost, then Holy Cross and Lehigh would have had matching 4-1 league records and Holy Cross would have received the automatic bid to the playoffs. Assuming the rest of the regular season went the same for HC and Lehigh, Lehigh would then have an 8-3 record...would this have been good enough for an at-large berth? Not sure, especially with the best win coming against Harvard.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Maybe a little too bold to claim that this is the "biggest non-LC game" since JMU in '04. Just for starters, what about UNI last year? Pretty big, I think. With all due respect to the Saders, last year's game wouldn't be the biggest and ultimately wouldn't have kept LU out of playoffs, even with a loss.

I should have said non-Lafayette home game.

tribefan40
September 8th, 2011, 11:17 AM

Definitely agree- I'm sure you sensed the sarcasm. I think the O will come out firing, particularly in the ground game.

VBR_Productions
September 8th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Maine @ Pittsburgh
New Hampshire @ Lehigh
ODU @ Georgia State
Rhode Island @ Syracuse
Richmond vs. Wagner
Towson vs. Villanova
W&M @ VMI

UNHFan
September 9th, 2011, 11:02 AM
well said BRAVO BRAVO Like I said UNH 45 Lehigh 17

UNH 38 - Lehigh 24

LeadBolt
September 9th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Maine @ Pittsburgh
New Hampshire @ Lehigh
ODU @ Georgia State
Rhode Island @ Syracuse
Richmond vs. Wagner
Towson vs. Villanova
W&M @ VMI

Bonus Pick

South Carolina State @ Bethune Cookman

JMUNJ08
September 10th, 2011, 11:18 PM
BYE - (21) UMassxcoolx
UD 45 - WC 10xchinscratchx
JMU 34 - CCSU 13xchinscratchx
Maine 14 - Pitt 48xchinscratchx
I have UNH kicking a late FG to pull out a toughy.
UNH 27 - Lehigh 24xsmileyclapxxthumbsupxxbowx
ODU 31 - GaSt. 20xthumbsupx
I see a good showing by the Rams to get people's attention.
URI 23 - Syracuse 31xthumbsupx
UR 42 - Wagner 13xchinscratchx
I'm going with the upset to shock the FCS world.
Towson 22 - Nova 20xthumbsupx
W&M 38 - VMI 12xthumbsupx
BONUS
South Carolina State 37 @ Bethune Cookman 41xconfusedxxbawlingxxsmhx

This week 9-0
Bonus 0-1

Not too shabby 9-0 week! Got the upset special in Towson (I will ignore Bethune's poor showing in the bonus game. Just please move on....