PDA

View Full Version : GA Southern Runs Through 1st Scrimmage

TexasTerror
April 8th, 2006, 02:19 PM
The new coach in Statesboro got his first chance to run through things in a real scrimmage. He seems concerned about the defense. Seems like that redshirt freshman is explosive at QB with that nice 45 yard run, but there's another freshman QB in the wings, that needs to do some work (got picked off twice)...

From GA Southern Athletics...

Story Date: April 8, 2006

STATESBORO, Ga. – Georgia Southern football went through the first of three scheduled scrimmages on an overcast Saturday morning at Paulson Stadium. The ninth practice session included other down/distance situations and work on the punting game. An estimated 250 were in attendance.

Head coach Brian VanGorder saw positives at times on both sides of the ball but noted the offenses’ ability to make big plays.

“Defensively we weren’t able to finish. There were a couple of times we could have had a tackle for a loss but the offense made a play and it ended in a long gain,” said the first year head coach.

Redshirt-freshman Chris Griffin ran the first team offense. On one of the first plays from scrimmage he started off by breaking loose for a 45-yard touchdown run. Later fellow redshirt-freshman Patrick Paschall scored from six yards out. Griffin also connected with Reggie McCutchen on a 15-yard scoring strike. Griffin totaled 37 rushing yards and completed 6-of-9 passes for 104 yards.

Zach Stanford, another redshirt-freshman battling for the quarterback job, hit QB-turned-wide receiver Darius Smiley on a 40-yard touchdown. Stanford ran twice for five yards and completed 5-of-13 for 68 yards but was picked off by Dedrick Bynam and Marcus Suaava.

http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/tools/getstory.aspx?storyid=1072

Baldy
April 8th, 2006, 03:18 PM
I was there and I have to say that I was quite impressed. Only 10 practices into the spring with a totally new offense and they looked remarkably smooth. It's clear to me that Griffin is the #1 QB...he has a good arm but can really change a game with his feet. Stanford does have the best arm, but has absolutely no mobility at all. I never thought I would say this, but it seems the offense is miles ahead of the defense.

After watching today, I feel much better about the coming season than I did yesterday.

ButlerGSU
April 8th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I think all GSU fans are looking forward to the Blue/White game on the 22nd. A lot of questions still not answered but it should be an exciting season. I'm looking forward to having 7 games at Paulson.

bryan92
April 8th, 2006, 05:08 PM
I swore it was more like a 60 yard run, but it was what we need. Baldy is right, our defense is lagging behind the offense. I would say its more concentrating on where one is supposed to be. When they finally start feeling comfortable on defense again, they will make those plays that they missed. There is alot of new terms and info thrown at them daily and the offense is picking up quicker on their side.

April 8th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Georgia Southern offense ahead of their defense... nawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ;)

Baldy
April 9th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Nice video coverage from yesterday's scrimmage showing the Eagles in 3 & 4 wide formation...the QB lining up in the Shotgun...I-Formations...etc. :dizzy:

http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/category.asp?C=78129

OL FU
April 9th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Nice video coverage from yesterday's scrimmage showing the Eagles in 3 & 4 wide formation...the QB lining up in the Shotgun...I-Formations...etc. :dizzy:

http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/category.asp?C=78129

Happy to see that your QB can run:rolleyes:

Baldy
April 9th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Happy to see that your QB can run:rolleyes:

Me too!!!!
Too bad the video didn't show Griffin's 50 yard TD run. ;)