PDA

View Full Version : Sports Network/Fathead.com FCS Top 25 Poll (Sept. 5)

GeauxLions94
September 5th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Eastern Washington stays No. 1, Sacramento State and Richmond make big jumps, BC-C only new team in poll

The Sports Network/Fathead.com FCS Top-25 College Football Poll
Team (First-place votes) Record Points Previous Rank
1. Eastern Washington Eagles (111) 0-1 3,653 1
2. Georgia Southern Eagles (29) 1-0 3,469 4
3. Appalachian State Mountaineers (2) 0-1 2,972 2
4. Northern Iowa Panthers (1) 0-1 2,941 7
5. William & Mary Tribe (1) 0-1 2,905 3
6. Montana State Bobcats 0-1 2,670 6
7. Wofford Terriers 1-0 2,651 8
8. Delaware Blue Hens 0-1 2,647 5
9. Richmond Spiders (3) 1-0 2,503 16
10. Jacksonville State Gamecocks 1-0 2,314 9
11. North Dakota State Bison 1-0 2,185 11
12. Sacramento State Hornets (3) 1-0 1,924 24
13. New Hampshire Wildcats 0-1 1,751 10
14. Lehigh Mountain Hawks 1-0 1,743 13
15. Montana Grizzlies 0-1 1,561 12
16. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks 1-0 1,456 17
17. Southern Illinois Salukis 1-0 1,360 19
18. Central Arkansas Bears 1-0 1,216 18
19. James Madison Dukes 0-1 1,098 15
20. Villanova Wildcats 0-1 1,064 14
21. Massachusetts Minutemen 1-0 695 25
22. McNeese State Cowboys 0-1 623 20
23. Chattanooga Mocs 0-1 475 21
24. Liberty Flames 0-1 456 22
25. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats 1-0 377 NR
Others receiving votes: South Carolina State 335, Penn 212, Eastern Kentucky 187, Murray State 166, Sam Houston State 129, Stony Brook 117, Grambling State 104, South Dakota State 95, Colgate 80, Georgia State 46, Harvard 39, Youngstown State 38, Jacksonville 36, Western Illinois 35, Cal Poly 32, Jackson State 32, Weber State 30, Southeast Missouri State 30, Florida A&M 29, Southern Utah 25, North Dakota 23, Elon 18, Rhode Island 18, Missouri State 18, Coastal Carolina 15, UC Davis 14, Yale 13, Brown 12, UT Martin 12, Eastern Illinois 12, Dayton 12, Maine 12, Old Dominion 11, The Citadel 11, Indiana State 8, South Dakota 7, Texas Southern 5, Central Connecticut State 5, Northern Arizona 4, Delaware State 3, Albany 3, Tennessee State 2, Northwestern State 2, Tennessee Tech 2, Furman 1, Norfolk State 1.

TheValleyRaider
September 5th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Lehigh blows out their opponent...and they drop a spot?

theasushow
September 5th, 2011, 01:12 PM
No way ASU is the 3rd best team in the country...i dont care if it was VT.

JSUBison
September 5th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I'm all for ranking Sac State in the top 25, but three #1 votes? Ok....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 5th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Lehigh blows out their opponent...and they drop a spot?

Not going to argue. Richmond and Sacramento State deserve the nod. Plus, let UNH be the higher ranked team.

I had them #14 on my AGS ballot

frozennorth
September 5th, 2011, 01:43 PM
North dakotan got 23 votes. This poll is junk.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 5th, 2011, 01:46 PM
North dakotan got 23 votes. This poll is junk.

They were probably mistakes, meaning to vote for NDSU.

bluehenbillk
September 5th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Not that bad a poll. UR getting 3 1st place votes is a little much though, it was Duke guys. I understand not penalizing teams much for BCS losses but doesn't App have to at least show up?

frozennorth
September 5th, 2011, 01:49 PM

The ags poll is even worse, north dakota is ranked 32.

DetroitFlyer
September 5th, 2011, 01:50 PM
The Citadel pounds Jacksonville and gets fewer votes than JU.... Sometimes I don't think the pollsters even try....

Tribe4SF
September 5th, 2011, 02:16 PM
The Citadel pounds Jacksonville and gets fewer votes than JU.... Sometimes I don't think the pollsters even try....

+1

Squealofthepig
September 5th, 2011, 02:27 PM

Hopefully at least some of those were misvotes. I could make a half-hearted argument for including them in the 24-25 range (they did at least win a game, against Drake), but you'd have to be pretty drunk to buy it.

Dear voters: Please note the Citadel beat Jacksonville by 22 points. Yes, it was at the Cit, but that's an easy result to incorporate into how you vote. Jiminy.

eaglemachine
September 5th, 2011, 03:16 PM
+1

Ga State in front of the Citadel, OD and Coastal Carolina? that's crap

Tuscon
September 5th, 2011, 03:51 PM

I thought ODU receiving less votes than us was very strange indeed. I'm pretty sure we're the underdogs going into that game. It's only after 1 week, but it seems like a strange way to vote.

MarkCCU
September 5th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Coastal beats Furman...hmmmm.

Props to Liberty btw. They deserve a spot on this ranking, moreso than SCSU.

MarkCCU
September 5th, 2011, 03:59 PM

+6.93

danefan
September 5th, 2011, 04:47 PM

Mistake votes for Jacksonville State?

JMUNJ08
September 5th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I thought ODU receiving less votes than us was very strange indeed. I'm pretty sure we're the underdogs going into that game. It's only after 1 week, but it seems like a strange way to vote.

Georgia State could be greatly improved after year 1 but 46 votes? I guarentee you are underdogs in your ODU matchup so not sure where those 46 votes are coming from and who could back them up with total reason and logic this early after a win over Clark...

Milktruck74
September 5th, 2011, 05:27 PM

I take credit for that mistake. They received 20 points, because I am an idiot. In a very small defense of my mistake, it is listed as North Dakota, not University of North Dakota..... just an oversight that will not happen once I get in "Mid-Season" form!!!

aceinthehole
September 5th, 2011, 06:56 PM
How do Georgia State and ODU get any votes? I mean really, what is this based on?

I'm not ready (or suggesting) to put any NEC in the top-25 this week, but I'd think CCSU and Albany would get more respect than 2 start-ups who have yet to win a meaninful game vs. FCS scholarship/equivalant team.

Georgia State 46 ... Old Dominion 11 ... Central Connecticut State 5 ... Albany 3

darell1976
September 5th, 2011, 07:02 PM

Why shouldn't UND get a vote. They are 1-0, and even if it was against Drake its not like they got any first place votes.

crossfire07
September 5th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I'm glad it is just a poll that doesn't mean ****. Some of those teams are wayyy to high and some should'nt be listed. Time will work it all out.

frozennorth
September 5th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Why shouldn't UND get a vote. They are 1-0, and even if it was against Drake its not like they got any first place votes.

Reading the other thread, it turns out that at least one person voted for und instead of ndsu. I can understand und getting a smattering of votes, but I think everyone can agree being just outside the top 25 is a bit unreasonable.

X-Factor
September 5th, 2011, 08:25 PM
clearly the AGS poll is head and shoulders better than this, and once again the end of the year results will prove its dominance.

CID1990
September 6th, 2011, 03:36 AM
The only ranking I care about is the one at the end of the season. Until that time, I could care less how many votes we get. It is nice to get recognition, but you never know who you might sneak up on when pollsters put you in the basement.

WileECoyote06
September 6th, 2011, 07:01 AM
clearly the AGS poll is head and shoulders better than this, and once again the end of the year results will prove its dominance.

And it isn't even close. This poll sucks. I'm not saying SC State is top 15 or even top-20; but they at least hung with their FBS foe.

Twentysix
September 6th, 2011, 07:43 AM

a vote at #25 would be 1 point. I have a hunch 1 person put them in the top 5 thinking they were NDSU or 2 people put them in the top 10 for the same reason and one other person put them at #25 on purpose. 23 points is a bit high for a team that was complete garbage last year. Im not saying UND can never be in the poll. Just not yet. If they had under 8 points I would believe out of 147 voters 5 of them put UND at #25. I dont believe that 23 of them did though.

Does SN post their points formula? It looks like its probably 1=25 points 25=1 point.

I believe last year the Jacksonville Dolphins from the PFL got some first place votes when Jax st beat that BCS team. Its the same thing, no ones knows the difference between either jacksonville team and no one knows the difference between either ND University, even though they vote in an FCS poll.

Also look at Richmond and Sac st. This poll is a joke. They got a combined 6 first place votes...

Saint3333
September 6th, 2011, 08:00 AM
For voting purposes I believe the polls this early should be determined by three factors - last year's finish, player turnover, and body of work to date. There is no way as of 9/6/11 that ASU is a top 10 team.

darell1976
September 6th, 2011, 08:33 AM
a vote at #25 would be 1 point. I have a hunch 1 person put them in the top 5 thinking they were NDSU or 2 people put them in the top 10 for the same reason and one other person put them at #25 on purpose. 23 points is a bit high for a team that was complete garbage last year. Im not saying UND can never be in the poll. Just not yet. If they had under 8 points I would believe out of 147 voters 5 of them put UND at #25. I dont believe that 23 of them did though.

Does SN post their points formula? It looks like its probably 1=25 points 25=1 point.

I believe last year the Jacksonville Dolphins from the PFL got some first place votes when Jax st beat that BCS team. Its the same thing, no ones knows the difference between either jacksonville team and no one knows the difference between either ND University, even though they vote in an FCS poll.

Also look at Richmond and Sac st. This poll is a joke. They got a combined 6 first place votes...

So you guys are going to say from now on that a vote for UND should be a vote for NDSU, but I never hear that to our neighbors to the south how a vote for South Dakota should be a vote for South Dakota State. So when UND gets on a roll and climbs to the top of the FCS and NDSU starts to fall from the top like they did in the 90's and 2000's, then am I going to post that a vote for NDSU should actually be a vote for UND?

Twentysix
September 6th, 2011, 08:49 AM
So you guys are going to say from now on that a vote for UND should be a vote for NDSU, but I never hear that to our neighbors to the south how a vote for South Dakota should be a vote for South Dakota State. So when UND gets on a roll and climbs to the top of the FCS and NDSU starts to fall from the top like they did in the 90's and 2000's, then am I going to post that a vote for NDSU should actually be a vote for UND?

Your totally right 23 out of 147 people thought your 16 point dismantling of Drake was top 25 material. Or perhaps 1 person thought it was #3 material. The world may never know.

If at some point und is 10-0 and ndsu is 1-9 and ndsu receives a first place vote yea its totally a mixup.

darell1976
September 6th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Your totally right 23 out of 147 people thought your 16 point dismantling of Drake was top 25 material. Or perhaps 1 person thought it was #3 material. The world may never know.

If at some point und is 10-0 and ndsu is 1-9 and ndsu receives a first place vote yea its totally a mixup.

And if both teams are 5-5 then let the fighting begin.xtroublex

superman7515
September 6th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Delaware State was 0-5 last year and still getting votes. It happens.

darell1976
September 6th, 2011, 09:02 AM
If its possible could someone see if NDSU got any votes in 2009 when they finished 3-8. Or did they get any votes in week 1 or 2 of the 2010 season? I bet they did.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 6th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I'I'm looking on the bright side - as if any more motivation were needed for Lehigh to come out strong against UNH, this poll will offer plenty of disrespect for the Mountain Hawks. Thanks, Fathead voters! xthumbsupx

frozennorth
September 6th, 2011, 10:25 AM
If its possible could someone see if NDSU got any votes in 2009 when they finished 3-8. Or did they get any votes in week 1 or 2 of the 2010 season? I bet they did.

Ndsu beat a bcs school week 1 last year so I would hope they got some votes after that.

SpeedkingATL
September 6th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Who ever gave App State and W&M first place votes after their performances on Saturday is smoking something. I don't think teams should drop much after losing to good BCS teams but they should at least show up. Neither of these teams did and should have been held accountable as Nova appeared to be.

JmuSkinsfan
September 6th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I know JMU didn't have as much pre-season hype in this poll as WM and App ... but I'm not sure how WM and App can get utterly destroyed in their FBS game and not really drop ... and JMU gets beat (but did show up for the most part) in their FBS game and drops 4 ...

I think a lot of JMU fans came away more confident about this season after the UNC game ... clearly these pollsters do not watch any of these games and just glance at the scores ... which is why I find this poll absolutely worthless until the latter half of the season.

heath
September 6th, 2011, 11:53 AM

Lehigh beat Drake by 14 last year and ended up just fine.App St should be ok as well because Beamer was not going to get embarrassed at home like last season.Tech wanted to send a message as did UVA with their win against W&M.Dont forget Tribe fans that there was revenge in the Cavs and Coach London hates to lose to his old rival while he was at UR.-Polls won't mean a thing until Novemberxtwocentsx

GaSouthern
September 6th, 2011, 12:28 PM
IMO GSU is too high until we prove last year was not a fluke.

eaglemachine
September 6th, 2011, 02:26 PM

maybe they are confusing Ga State with THE Georgia Southern...would not be the first time unfortunately.

darell1976
September 6th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Lehigh beat Drake by 14 last year and ended up just fine.App St should be ok as well because Beamer was not going to get embarrassed at home like last season.Tech wanted to send a message as did UVA with their win against W&M.Dont forget Tribe fans that there was revenge in the Cavs and Coach London hates to lose to his old rival while he was at UR.-Polls won't mean a thing until Novemberxtwocentsx

For UND polls don't mean a thing until 2012.

JMUNJ08
September 6th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I know JMU didn't have as much pre-season hype in this poll as WM and App ... but I'm not sure how WM and App can get utterly destroyed in their FBS game and not really drop ... and JMU gets beat (but did show up for the most part) in their FBS game and drops 4 ...

I think a lot of JMU fans came away more confident about this season after the UNC game ... clearly these pollsters do not watch any of these games and just glance at the scores ... which is why I find this poll absolutely worthless until the latter half of the season.

I felt the same way. But W&M and App St. definitely went down in my poll though with JMU as I was expecting closer scores.

frozennorth
September 6th, 2011, 08:41 PM
For UND polls don't mean a thing until 2012.

Compare this attitude with ndsu's at the same point, and you can understand why the athletic programs have gone in such wildly different directions

UNIFanSince1983
September 6th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Compare this attitude with ndsu's at the same point, and you can understand why the athletic programs have gone in such wildly different directions

I have a hard time believing the team or the majority of the fans feel this way. I may even have hard time believing that deep down darell1976 actually feels that way.

seantaylor
September 7th, 2011, 01:00 AM
IMO GSU is too high until we prove last year was not a fluke.

You are acting like GSU is a never-has-been. GSU is the premiere FCS school. A trash coach like Chris Hatcher is an anomaly.

Horseshoe App
September 7th, 2011, 05:45 AM
I finally agree with seantaylor. I never thought the day would come:)

You are acting like GSU is a never-has-been. GSU is the premiere FCS school. A trash coach like Chris Hatcher is an anomaly.

appfan2008
September 7th, 2011, 06:19 AM
No way ASU is the 3rd best team in the country...i dont care if it was VT.

couldnt agree more... the football was just bad no matter the opponent on saturday...

darell1976
September 7th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I have a hard time believing the team or the majority of the fans feel this way. I may even have hard time believing that deep down darell1976 actually feels that way.

I would like to see UND in the polls, but until they are playoff eligible I am not going to go postal if they are not #1 like NDSU did during their transition. Playoffs is all that matters.

ButlerGSU
September 8th, 2011, 11:14 AM
couldnt agree more... the football was just bad no matter the opponent on saturday...

I did not see any of the game because I was in Birmingham but I can't believe Coach Moore won't get it corrected and soon.

jacksfan29
September 8th, 2011, 01:38 PM

It happened in 2009 to SDSU when USD was shown receiving votes. The two U's need to be listed as University of North Dakota and University of South Dakota instead of North Dakota and South Dakota. That will help differentiate them from the XDSU's. It will also begin to work itself out when all four schools have been in FCS longer and all four have experienced some success.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2011, 01:39 PM
TSN Top 25 preview

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/shapiro/index.htm